FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Mindfulness

Mindfulness

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There seems to be a lot of chat currently about ‘Mindfulness’ and I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts/experiences to share x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Let me have a think about it and get back to you

Think a lot of big companies promoting it to look good. In reality I don’t think many give a shit and see all that kind of stuff as an inconvenience. Done for a flurry of positive PR then binned. Certainly the case with one large finance house in Edinburgh anyhoo. Not all companies but certainly many of the ‘big boys’ anyhoo.

"Let me have a think about it and get back to you "

By *ibblingnewtWoman  over a year ago

by the sea

its interesting it’s good to keep you aware of your wellbeing, how to cope with pressure how to relax, after you can generally function better

Great for people that find life too much of a pressure, I’ve found I sleep better and wake refreshed with the training I’ve had, can take in enjoyment of things I’d lost before, I can now read a book, hadn’t for years as my concentration wasn’t good enough

If I could link my mindfulness to my diet and fitness I’d be totally sorted

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

My view is that Mindfulness can give you some useful distracting strategies, I.e. allows you to divert your thoughts away from those that might trigger anxiety.

It quietens your mind from the negative thoughts cycles.

There are alternatives. CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, sounds intimidating, addresses not the issues that cause anxiety, but the meaning/interpretation that you attach to them.

Our thoughts (cognitive bit) create our feelings and moods.

The behavioural bit deals with how our behaviours link to those thoughts.

CBT aims to rewire the thoughts you have, the feelings you have, and your choice of behaviours, so that you behave differently, feel differently, and function better, more successfully.

Good for teenagers.

Just my 2p worth.

X

Edinburgh

"its interesting it’s good to keep you aware of your wellbeing, how to cope with pressure how to relax, after you can generally function better

Great for people that find life too much of a pressure, I’ve found I sleep better and wake refreshed with the training I’ve had, can take in enjoyment of things I’d lost before, I can now read a book, hadn’t for years as my concentration wasn’t good enough

If I could link my mindfulness to my diet and fitness I’d be totally sorted "

This

Sport is good. I don't mean just exercise, I mean if you can be part of a club, team, or class. It gives you added purpose.

Also, a hobby, or creative pastime. Something that requires focus. A new language, instrument, making things. I believe these are great ways to build positive thinking patterns, and distracts us from the negative ones.

Edinburgh

And not CBT, as in Cock and Ball Torture!

That's a very different distraction!

"Think a lot of big companies promoting it to look good. In reality I don’t think many give a shit and see all that kind of stuff as an inconvenience. Done for a flurry of positive PR then binned. Certainly the case with one large finance house in Edinburgh anyhoo. Not all companies but certainly many of the ‘big boys’ anyhoo."

It’s seems it’s the in thing at the moment. My company is promoting it at the moment but in a work place environment I’m sure perks and rewards would be appreciated

"its interesting it’s good to keep you aware of your wellbeing, how to cope with pressure how to relax, after you can generally function better

If I could link my mindfulness to my diet and fitness I’d be totally sorted "

That’s what I’m looking for ideally. Do you use apps or the internet? Or maybe courses?

Sounds bliss

"My view is that Mindfulness can give you some useful distracting strategies, I.e. allows you to divert your thoughts away from those that might trigger anxiety.

It quietens your mind from the negative thoughts cycles.

There are alternatives. CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, sounds intimidating, addresses not the issues that cause anxiety, but the meaning/interpretation that you attach to them.

Our thoughts (cognitive bit) create our feelings and moods.

The behavioural bit deals with how our behaviours link to those thoughts.

CBT aims to rewire the thoughts you have, the feelings you have, and your choice of behaviours, so that you behave differently, feel differently, and function better, more successfully.

Good for teenagers.

Just my 2p worth.

X"

I’ve heard about CBT also but not really read up on it. This mindfulness stuff seems like a form of meditation but CBT seems to be a form of mind repair. I think I will read up on this more - not the cock related CBT obviously

Edinburgh

"

It’s seems it’s the in thing at the moment. My company is promoting it at the moment but in a work place environment I’m sure perks and rewards would be appreciated "

I know some companies offer an Employee Support Programme, which covers all issues, not just work place related. Most issues that affect staff are external to the workplace, so take a holistic view. Worth checking!

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

Mindfullness can definitely be useful. You don't realise how much you are on autpilot until you've dabbled with it a bit.

"Think a lot of big companies promoting it to look good. In reality I don’t think many give a shit and see all that kind of stuff as an inconvenience. Done for a flurry of positive PR then binned. Certainly the case with one large finance house in Edinburgh anyhoo. Not all companies but certainly many of the ‘big boys’ anyhoo."

Spot on, and reckon I've done a few stints in said "large finance house"

I am mindful everyday not to hit someone

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Its another new buzzword

By *oudBeSurprisedMan  over a year ago

Fife

"There seems to be a lot of chat currently about ‘Mindfulness’ and I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts/experiences to share x"

"Mindfulness" as a modern concept infuriates me as much as the lack of education on and understanding of the origins of mindfulness from those who like the buzzword.

They substitute "conscious" for "mindful" like they mean the same.

Yeah am into it a great way to start of you buy the book Mindfulness in 8 weeks.

Or there’s an app called Headspace which is good too x

By *ookingforfabfunMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

I did a mindfulness event with work and we had to study a raisin. Think about how it looks, feels and tastes. Was good as it opened your mind and senses but I can think of much better things to study, lol

mindfulness is only actually any good if you can be in a mindful way and then only about half the population can use it as said before it is all a massive PR stunt by companies and the creators are just rehashing ideas from previous relaxation and stress management programs and putting it together as their own for profit

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

It works for me. Regardless of marketing or packaging comments above. But not for everyone and like anything you need to engage with it to let it happen.

In a corporate environment I can see the issues. It’s too personal to deliver properly at that level but it may open doors for those that want to look in to it further.

And it’s not new. Been around for years if not decades.

Edinburgh

Tried to PM you OP, but outside your range.

"Tried to PM you OP, but outside your range.

"

Hey, hadn’t seen this post I’ve wink you, believe that allows you to message me xx

I couldn’t get away with Mindfulness despite quite a few 1:1 sessions.

I prefer listening to binaural beats and find them helpful as do a few of my friends

CBT is criticised a lot now for its limited effectiveness (often around 2-5 years) for those people it works on at all

I prefer ‘solution focused therapy’ which is effective and liked by my fellow practitioner friends

Another alternative which I find good is ACT (Acceptance and commitment therapy) Russ Harris has written some ok books on this

"I couldn’t get away with Mindfulness despite quite a few 1:1 sessions.

I prefer listening to binaural beats and find them helpful as do a few of my friends

CBT is criticised a lot now for its limited effectiveness (often around 2-5 years) for those people it works on at all

I prefer ‘solution focused therapy’ which is effective and liked by my fellow practitioner friends

Another alternative which I find good is ACT (Acceptance and commitment therapy) Russ Harris has written some ok books on this"

Thank you, I’ll have a wee read up on both Solution Focus Therapy and Binaural Beats as I’ve not heard of either of these x

"I did a mindfulness event with work and we had to study a raisin. Think about how it looks, feels and tastes. Was good as it opened your mind and senses but I can think of much better things to study, lol "

"Yeah am into it a great way to start of you buy the book Mindfulness in 8 weeks.

Or there’s an app called Headspace which is good too x "

Thank you, I’ll check out this book x

Trying to reply to everyone but I’ve given up as it’s been a great response. Thank you for your time. I will look into all your suggestions and hopefully find a best fit for me x

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

Interesting thread, will need to have a look at some of this, read mindstore which was about positive mental thoughts making things happen for you, this sounds like a completely different approach though.....

Great wee book is 10 to Zen...more meditation than mindfulness though. Written by a former NHS psychotherapist. I find a lot of books on this subject a bit flowery and farty but this is realistic, 10 mins a day just to check out and recalibrate

"Great wee book is 10 to Zen...more meditation than mindfulness though. Written by a former NHS psychotherapist. I find a lot of books on this subject a bit flowery and farty but this is realistic, 10 mins a day just to check out and recalibrate "

Thank you I’m like that too; flowery farty stuff doesn’t work for me either

coatbridge

Most wont like this but there seems to be a fair bit of spending instead of doing almost everyone knows right from wrong so instead of buying try doing less blaming others and get to know you.

We all do wrongs the main thing is folk seldom just admit it preferring to blame exterior sources. all this rebranding and rehashing of nothing more than be a good person only suits who's pocket it fills never the person buying into the latest revamp of be good in 42 chapters.

We all know when we are wrong and a lot of times these things enable laying blame of instead of owning your flaws

"Most wont like this but there seems to be a fair bit of spending instead of doing almost everyone knows right from wrong so instead of buying try doing less blaming others and get to know you.

We all do wrongs the main thing is folk seldom just admit it preferring to blame exterior sources. all this rebranding and rehashing of nothing more than be a good person only suits who's pocket it fills never the person buying into the latest revamp of be good in 42 chapters.

We all know when we are wrong and a lot of times these things enable laying blame of instead of owning your flaws "

Unsure what you mean by wrong Kola?

I can readily admit to being wrong; whilst it pains me to do so sometimes lol but my search is for peace of mind. Life circumstances has caused a super muddled mind and I’d love to find a way to declutter this jumbled auld heid x

coatbridge

I get that and my point is not against that it's more that vultures pray on it.

Almost all the rehashed are little more than what you already know with more emphasis on laying blame than owning blame rather.

"I get that and my point is not against that it's more that vultures pray on it.

Almost all the rehashed are little more than what you already know with more emphasis on laying blame than owning blame rather.

"

I agree and my search would ideally be for a free option

When something is ‘fashionable’ everyone wants a shot at making their millions. Wish I was clever enough to do the same .... I’m not proud

coatbridge

"I get that and my point is not against that it's more that vultures pray on it.

When something is ‘fashionable’ everyone wants a shot at making their millions. Wish I was clever enough to do the same .... I’m not proud

"

lol have the millions and ya would just spend it trying to scrub yourself clean again

lol have the millions and ya would just spend it trying to scrub yourself clean again "

Eventually, after a few champagne fuelled orgies in my yacht with a crew of half naked men.... Bugger, thinking out loud there!!

coatbridge

lol have the millions and ya would just spend it trying to scrub yourself clean again

Eventually, after a few champagne fuelled orgies in my yacht with a crew of half naked men.... Bugger, thinking out loud there!! "

write that book way more profit

» Add a new message to this topic