By *asycouple777 OP   Couple  over a year ago

bristol

Looking to buy somewhere between Alicante and Cabo Roig

Holiday home at first but to live there part of the year further down the road

Any recommendations on locations x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

We prefer Playa Flamenca and La Florida.

There is a bit more going on in the quieter months and in the summer it's the same busy as everywhere else. It also has a small nudist beach.

Cabo Roig is good in the summer but can be dead in the winter. Quite a few places on the strip close out of season, while PF and especially La Florida (The Abbey and Waldemars being two of the most popular) are mostly up and running 52 weeks of the year

Torrevieja itself is a bit Marmite. You will either love it or hate it.

Further north. Guardamar is a bit more Spanish and again can be very quiet in the winter.

The La Marina urbanisation probably has more swingers than any other part of the area (you know who you are LOL) and is very convenient for the nudist beach, but again can be a bit quiet out of season. Ditto Gran Alacant.

Best advice would be to either visit the area a few times (and at different times of the year) or (if you can) rent a place for a few months and get a feel for which bit of the area you prefer.

It's much easier to get out of a rental than trying to sell up if you make a mistake.

By *atureandhornyCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

Quesada has lots of property bargains on offer. Lots of restaurants and bars and 15mins to the lovely beaches.

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Definitely the best advice I could give would be to rent somewhere for a few months before buying. Also be prepared to lose money , property in Spain isn’t the investment that it is in the UK.

Having said that with Brexit and COVID there will be plenty of bargains in the coming months and property prices are likely to fall.

By *rednWilma40Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca / Torrevieja

We would agree with _otlovefun42, but would also add La Zenia lots going on x

By *lipflops n ShortsMan  over a year ago

Gran Alacant (Spain)

It is a lovely area with some brilliant places to live, above is some very good advice. I've been renting here now for a couple of years and it's been stress free whilst I look for the right property to buy. Dont rush into buying, find a base to rent and check out the area's for your needs.

By *ed14Couple  over a year ago

East Yorks

Can I ask what’s the average rent for say a 2 bedroom and where’s best places to look for them ?

Gran Alacant (Spain)

"Can I ask what’s the average rent for say a 2 bedroom and where’s best places to look for them ?"
Between 450€ and 600€ depending on where you want, I pay 580€ for a 2 bed with under build and solarium in Gran Alacant.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Can I ask what’s the average rent for say a 2 bedroom and where’s best places to look for them ?Between 450€ and 600€ depending on where you want, I pay 580€ for a 2 bed with under build and solarium in Gran Alacant. "

Yes that is about right for a house in an urbanisation.

Apartments can come a bit cheaper and if you want something detached with private pool you will have to pay more.

For the larger houses there are some good value ones if you go inland a bit. Quesada for example.

By *essysteveCouple  over a year ago

ALICANTE AREA SPAIN

We are currently renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house with a garden, shared pool and large roof solarium and private parking on a golf course at Algorfa and we pay 800 euros

Gran Alacant (Spain)

"We are currently renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house with a garden, shared pool and large roof solarium and private parking on a golf course at Algorfa and we pay 800 euros"
Is that La Finca golf resort? It is nice up there, used to friends live there.

By *am MaguireMan  over a year ago

Cork

"We are currently renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house with a garden, shared pool and large roof solarium and private parking on a golf course at Algorfa and we pay 800 euros"

Hi folks is that per month or per week?? Also is there other fees/ charges to pay outside of your rent

bristol

Great advice thanks

Renting for a bit first sounds a good idea x

Costa Blanca Spain...

"We are currently renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house with a garden, shared pool and large roof solarium and private parking on a golf course at Algorfa and we pay 800 euros

Hi folks is that per month or per week?? Also is there other fees/ charges to pay outside of your rent "

Per month and usually plus bills (electric & water) although you can sometimes get lucky and it will include bills (but capped)

Taxes and community charges (which are low by British standards) are normally paid by the owner.

ALICANTE AREA SPAIN

it is indeed

ALICANTE AREA SPAIN

"We are currently renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house with a garden, shared pool and large roof solarium and private parking on a golf course at Algorfa and we pay 800 euros

Hi folks is that per month or per week?? Also is there other fees/ charges to pay outside of your rent "

That is per month only additional costs are electricity water and internet - all other costs are within the rental payment

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

you'll need a visa to live there for more than 90 days in any 180 day period so if you want to live in Spain for more than 3 months at a time you would have to have a visa, I think it may also mean restrictions on travelling to other EU countries. You will need to look closely at the rules now we have lost our freedom of movement

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Or get residencia, then the 90 days in 180 doesn't count for the whole EU. That's not the same as a visa.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"you'll need a visa to live there for more than 90 days in any 180 day period so if you want to live in Spain for more than 3 months at a time you would have to have a visa, I think it may also mean restrictions on travelling to other EU countries. You will need to look closely at the rules now we have lost our freedom of movement

"

Not true. Residencia is enough.

Even before Brexit you would have needed it to live there permanently.

Maybe a bit more paperwork now but very little difference really.

By *unta PrimaTV/TS  over a year ago

Costa Blanca, Spain

We purchased an apartment in 2009 succumbing to sales pressure from Atlas - a serious mistake - kept the apt for year then sold at a 10,000€ loss. We then rented various properties in different locations for years before coming out again for 2 weeks doing the rounds of Estate Agents some of whom were outright Del boys and liars. We saw some awful properties in awful locations more then once with different agents. Eventually we found our ideal property in La Florida. The moral of this story is take your time, know what you want, dont be taken in by unscrupulous agents. You will find the right place as there are plenty to choose from.

By *inglecouple14Couple  over a year ago

W.London

I know the area well having live north and south costa blanca, without coming across rude and for my own reasons I wouldn't look or consider anywhere south of Alicante.

Head north towards Albir, Altea, Moraira, Javea etc and if you rent between the two I am sure you will see why the north is better (in my opinion).

By *am MaguireMan  over a year ago

Cork

"I know the area well having live north and south costa blanca, without coming across rude and for my own reasons I wouldn't look or consider anywhere south of Alicante.

Head north towards Albir, Altea, Moraira, Javea etc and if you rent between the two I am sure you will see why the north is better (in my opinion)."

Very interesting... What are the advantages/benifits etc of living in the north as opposed to the south of alicante

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I know the area well having live north and south costa blanca, without coming across rude and for my own reasons I wouldn't look or consider anywhere south of Alicante.

Head north towards Albir, Altea, Moraira, Javea etc and if you rent between the two I am sure you will see why the north is better (in my opinion).

Very interesting... What are the advantages/benifits etc of living in the north as opposed to the south of alicante

"

Well it certainly cannot be the weather.

CB north has almost double the annual rainfall of the south.

Mrs H's sister used to rent a place in Moraira and every time we visited we would leave Playa Flamenca in glorious sunshine. When we got up there it was always pissing down.

bristol

Yes I think the south cb is for us x

W.London

Weather is very minimal, I actually have a property rented out on the orihuela costa so keep an eye on the weather almost daily as I have them saved on my app. Honestly haven’t noticed any more rainfall, the weather in the south is usually hotter through the day by 2-3 degrees but on a night its usually 2-3degrees warmer up north which suits me better.

Having lived in the south there isn’t much I like to be honest, the landscape is flat with mediocre coastlines, the whole area is purposely built for tourism and budget holiday homes hence the number of urbanisations on top of each other and matchbox houses/apartments built side by side, street after street.

The area is mostly ran on tourism, most the bars are cut throat for who can offer the cheapest pint, breakfast, meal along with the nightly bingo, karaoke or 60s - 70s tribute act. In terms of authenticity there really isn’t much until you head inland to Orihuela or a few of the smaller villages and you are pushed to use Spanish there as majority or firms, bars etc are English ran and spoken.

The north is much more like genuine Spain, if you don’t speak Spanish you will struggle up here but it gives you much more in regards to scenery, activities and meeting authentic people, most of which live and work here which is why most of the towns here aren’t massively affected by COVID as the locals support them rather than holiday makers. Everything is more up here n regards to food, drink and lifestyle and you wont get a full English breakfast on every corner along with karaoke etc, you will pay 4-5EUR for a pint but you will be in a nice quality bar and there is tons of nice lounge bars, marinas and old town quirky bars.

There is so much to do and so many nice places within 30 mins of Altea like the above towns I mentioned, probably the reason companies do day trips from Torrevieja etc up here.

I have lived both, this is my opinion but after living south for a long time it was driving me mad, I love the much more laid back Spanish cafe culture up north. I never realised it but when you come up here there is a big north/south divide when you talk to people.

If you are using it for a holiday home and want the convenience of bars, no language barrier etc then the south is better. To live, and experience Spain the north is hands down better.

Costa Blanca Spain...

A lot of what you say is true.

CB north is much prettier and, it has to be said, more upmarket than CB south. Although the latter does come with property prices to match.

A lot of the difference is down to geography. CB north is very mountainous (hence the different weather which I'll come back to later) CB south is pretty much billiard table flat (hence the ability to build the larger urbanisations)

To be fair there are a lot of bars (mostly British) in the south trying to sell the cheapest pint/breakfast Etc. And yes some of the entertainment can be a bit "Benidorm". However at least there is something going on. When I visited Moraira in February a few years ago it reminded me of a wet Wednesday in Morecambe.

Back to the weather. To say the difference is minimal just isn't true. On average temperature maybe, but the difference in average rainfall between Torrevieja and Denia is huge.

Torrevieja 284mm PA (11.2 in)

Denia 588mm PA (23.1 in)

That isn't almost double it is more than double.

Source: climate-data.org/

Your opinion of the two really is a good example of "one mans paradise is another mans hell hole"

You like what you like and are fully entitled to your opinion. However it would not be for me.

Vive le Differance.

By *ickeyandmouseCouple  over a year ago

nr Alicante

"A lot of what you say is true.

CB north is much prettier and, it has to be said, more upmarket than CB south. Although the latter does come with property prices to match.

A lot of the difference is down to geography. CB north is very mountainous (hence the different weather which I'll come back to later) CB south is pretty much billiard table flat (hence the ability to build the larger urbanisations)

To be fair there are a lot of bars (mostly British) in the south trying to sell the cheapest pint/breakfast Etc. And yes some of the entertainment can be a bit "Benidorm". However at least there is something going on. When I visited Moraira in February a few years ago it reminded me of a wet Wednesday in Morecambe.

Back to the weather. To say the difference is minimal just isn't true. On average temperature maybe, but the difference in average rainfall between Torrevieja and Denia is huge.

Torrevieja 284mm PA (11.2 in)

Denia 588mm PA (23.1 in)

That isn't almost double it is more than double.

Source: climate-data.org/

Your opinion of the two really is a good example of "one mans paradise is another mans hell hole"

You like what you like and are fully entitled to your opinion. However it would not be for me.

Vive le Differance."

Very much agree and also assume the OP was very much interested in the Fab point of view, rather than just “ A Place in the Sun”.If that is the case CB south wins hands down. Having been on Fab for a number of years there seems to be very few “enquieris/winks/messages etc” from anybody north of Benidorm.

There are also lots of international visitors who come & go to their holiday homes in this area. There may be north of Benidorm of course and have met some at an Alicante club, but many more from this area.

All this is of course pre Covid.

By *ralpleaseMan  over a year ago

El Campello, Alicante

I only wish that few more would decide to move to just North of Alicante, San Juan, Muchamiel, busot, Campello.

W.London

I wouldn't base the whole of north costa blanca on Moraira, its probably the smallest and most quiet town out them all with less than 10,000 population in comparison to Calpe, Altea etc which have double/treble. Moraira is a very pretty little fishing town though, some great places to eat and nice beach.

Altea rainfall is lower than Denia which is at the top but even still minimal difference, maybe it rains a bit longer on the days up here compared to down south but overall I haven't noticed any real difference with the rainfall.

There is more UK/International action down south without a doubt, lots more nudist beaches up here though and you will find they are much busier with varying ages (mid 20's to 60's) with that being mostly Spanish so no doubt they have their own site, forums etc to interact but it's easier to meet up with people on the south as there is less of a language barrier and you have this site to help.

As long as everyone is happy then there is no problems

By *orksCouple25Couple  over a year ago

Leeds

Having owned a place in the sun (Los Altos ) I would recommend renting long term and not ever buying. If you have let’s say £150k to spend why complicate your life by buying in Spain ? EST keep a light footprint in Spain and buy in the UK and rent that property out then use that rent money to rent in Spain . That’s what we do now .

Also it gives you flexibility so if for example the next door property starts being let out to different noisy holidaymakers every week you can at the end of your rental agreement just move and rent something else The capital appreciation is likely to be better in the U.K. too . We lost about 30% when we sold our Spanish property and getting the capital gains back as we had made a loss took 3 years with the bureaucracy and the Manjana culture that is pervasive in Spain. Also remember old age and medical conditions await us all and having a bolt hole back home is very useful if you ever want to return for family or health reasons.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Anyone bought in Almeria province around Zugena

Warwick

"Having owned a place in the sun (Los Altos ) I would recommend renting long term and not ever buying. If you have let’s say £150k to spend why complicate your life by buying in Spain ? EST keep a light footprint in Spain and buy in the UK and rent that property out then use that rent money to rent in Spain . That’s what we do now .

Also it gives you flexibility so if for example the next door property starts being let out to different noisy holidaymakers every week you can at the end of your rental agreement just move and rent something else The capital appreciation is likely to be better in the U.K. too . We lost about 30% when we sold our Spanish property and getting the capital gains back as we had made a loss took 3 years with the bureaucracy and the Manjana culture that is pervasive in Spain. Also remember old age and medical conditions await us all and having a bolt hole back home is very useful if you ever want to return for family or health reasons. "

Good advice, especially in the current situation we are in. There is a real risk that property prices in Spain could plummet.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Well it certainly cannot be the weather.

CB north has almost double the annual rainfall of the south.

Mrs H's sister used to rent a place in Moraira and every time we visited we would leave Playa Flamenca in glorious sunshine. When we got up there it was always pissing down."

Very true. Winter, north of Alicante is grim. I lived for two years in Denia and nice as it was, I used to go to Torrevieja or further south at weekends just to see some sunshine and dry weather.

If the plan is to live there - the winter climate is an important consideration.

Warwick

"you'll need a visa to live there for more than 90 days in any 180 day period so if you want to live in Spain for more than 3 months at a time you would have to have a visa, I think it may also mean restrictions on travelling to other EU countries. You will need to look closely at the rules now we have lost our freedom of movement

Not true. Residencia is enough.

Even before Brexit you would have needed it to live there permanently.

Maybe a bit more paperwork now but very little difference really."

The 90 day rule applies to the whole of the EU - you can’t spend any more than 90 days in any of the EU countries in 180 days. Penalties for breaching these rules are significant.

For residentia now you have to prove ( amongst other things) that you have an income of at least £2000 per month for a couple and 500 extra for more dependants

By *heelsmanMan  over a year ago

near Reading

"

The 90 day rule applies to the whole of the EU - you can’t spend any more than 90 days in any of the EU countries in 180 days. "

Thats not quite true, as it applies to most of the EU, but does not cover about 4 countries, Croatia being one of them where you can spend 90 days without using any of your 90 in 180 in the rest of the EU!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

This might help as well.

?

LifestyleTravelCan I live in Spain after Brexit? Rules on moving to Spain – and the changes if you’re living there alreadyThose who want to move to the sunny country for the first time in 2021 will need to meet certain conditions to gain resident status

By Zlata Rodionova

January 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Under new rules, UK passport holders won’t be able to stay in the country (or anywhere else in Europe) for longer than three months out of any six-month period (Photo: AP)

Many UK citizens living in Spain are concerned about how their rights in the EU country will change now that the Brexit transition period is over.

Around 360,000 British citizens are registered as permanent residents in Spain, although many more are estimated to have been living in the country without registering.

The i newsletter latest news and analysis

Since 1 January 2021, when the Brexit transition period ended, anyone who wants to move or visit the bloc will have to follow a new system.

Here’s what you need to know.

Can I still move to Spain ?

Yes you can but the process might be more difficult than it was before Brexit.

Under new rules, UK passport holders won’t be able to stay in the country (or anywhere else in Europe) for longer than three months out of any six-month period.

British citizens are now treated in a similar way that non-Europeans are, which means that the process of moving and obtaining a resident permit is also more complicated.

Those who want to move to the sunny country permanently, will need to meet certain conditions to gain resident status including financial means and health cover among other things.

The criteria depends on your status. For example, it might be different for employees, pensioners or those who are self-employed.

The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of UK citizens in the EU (and vice versa). (Photo: AP/Emilio Morenatti)

Anyone wishing to obtain resident status will need to show a proof of income either through an employment contract with a Spanish company or by providing that they earn at least £2,000 per month, according to the BBC, with that figure expected to be higher for families.

You will also need to prove that you don’t have a criminal record and that you have the appropriate health cover.

Those looking to start their own business in Spain will need to show they have the adequate qualifications to carry out their work as well as a business plan.

» Add a new message to this topic