FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Spain > Canary Islands - Covid watch

Canary Islands - Covid watch

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ay68 OP   Man  over a year ago

London

Tourism in the Canaries will only really take off again when around 70% of residents have been vaccinated. So says their Government. With a total population of 2.1 million that means around 1.5 million people need to be vaccinated before restrictions are lifted in any really significant way.

Our holidays this year will depend on these figures so I am going to provide a regular update...let's keep our fingers crossed

Please add any relevant info that those of us planning a trip to GC will find helpful.

- February 21st

Total vaccinations: 120,000

Total number of both vaccinations; 50,000

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Boris giving his speech now...International travel will not resume before 17th May...to be reviewed by the travel taskforce on 12th April..details of speech on BBC news online..

London

"Boris giving his speech now...International travel will not resume before 17th May...to be reviewed by the travel taskforce on 12th April..details of speech on BBC news online.."

Thanks - a very constructive post which helps to keep us all better informed.

A good start to our thread....

chelmsford

"Boris giving his speech now...International travel will not resume before 17th May...to be reviewed by the travel taskforce on 12th April..details of speech on BBC news online..

A good start to our thread.... "

you're welcome as Teresa May said, it doesn't give the travel companies and indeed, travellers, much time to plan, she is asking him for it to be reviewed earlier, I doubt he will though..

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

"Boris giving his speech now...International travel will not resume before 17th May...to be reviewed by the travel taskforce on 12th April..details of speech on BBC news online..

you're welcome as Teresa May said, it doesn't give the travel companies and indeed, travellers, much time to plan, she is asking him for it to be reviewed earlier, I doubt he will though.."

What also needs to be considered though is how many in the Spain will have been vaccinated by then. Up until now Spain hasn’t suffered greatly from the ‘Kent variant’ of the virus. If they let lots of Brits in, even with vaccinations here and testing it is inevitable that the Kent variant will take hold pretty quickly in Spain unless a significant proportion of the population have been vaccinated. If that happens travel there could stop again very quickly.

chelmsford

you're welcome as Teresa May said, it doesn't give the travel companies and indeed, travellers, much time to plan, she is asking him for it to be reviewed earlier, I doubt he will though..

What also needs to be considered though is how many in the Spain will have been vaccinated by then. Up until now Spain hasn’t suffered greatly from the ‘Kent variant’ of the virus. If they let lots of Brits in, even with vaccinations here and testing it is inevitable that the Kent variant will take hold pretty quickly in Spain unless a significant proportion of the population have been vaccinated. If that happens travel there could stop again very quickly."

Still lots to consider

Warwick

What also needs to be considered though is how many in the Spain will have been vaccinated by then. Up until now Spain hasn’t suffered greatly from the ‘Kent variant’ of the virus. If they let lots of Brits in, even with vaccinations here and testing it is inevitable that the Kent variant will take hold pretty quickly in Spain unless a significant proportion of the population have been vaccinated. If that happens travel there could stop again very quickly.

Still lots to consider "

I agree, I know my post sounds very negative but if they have a major outbreak of the Kent variant in Spain it could write of the rest of the year for any travel there which no one wants.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

kent variant makes up 12% of the islands over all total.

In the words of the Health Service. “It’s not made any difference to the over all picture“

By *tockport 69Couple  over a year ago

Stockport

tenerife is dead bars are open and some restaurant but know one is going to them we know as we are there. but will not come back this year will lock up apartment.and have holidays in uk

Warwick

"kent variant makes up 12% of the islands over all total.

In the words of the Health Service. “It’s not made any difference to the over all picture“ "

That is exactly my point though, if the Kent variant becomes dominant there like it did here, the impact is likely to be fairly disastrous as it was here. Fortunately though we have been able lockdown again and to vaccinate the vast majority of the most vulnerable in a short time, it seems unlikely that Spain would be very likely to lockdown again or to vaccinate quickly based on current progress.

By *otts24FunMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Watching

Warwick

It looks like Majorca are going to require a ‘ vaccination passport’ for travellers arriving there. From what I understand this will mean you will have needed to have both vaccinations ( the second three weeks before travel) and provide a negative test within 48 hours of travel. I presume the Canaries will do the same.

chelmsford

"It looks like Majorca are going to require a ‘ vaccination passport’ for travellers arriving there. From what I understand this will mean you will have needed to have both vaccinations ( the second three weeks before travel) and provide a negative test within 48 hours of travel. I presume the Canaries will do the same."

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens there. If all adults are meant to be jabbed by end of July, we're then looking towards the end of August, for some. We've done extremely well with the vaccination program, so hopefully that date will move forward

Warwick

"It looks like Majorca are going to require a ‘ vaccination passport’ for travellers arriving there. From what I understand this will mean you will have needed to have both vaccinations ( the second three weeks before travel) and provide a negative test within 48 hours of travel. I presume the Canaries will do the same.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens there. If all adults are meant to be jabbed by end of July, we're then looking towards the end of August, for some. We've done extremely well with the vaccination program, so hopefully that date will move forward "

Actually it will be a lot later than that as the passport will require you to have had both vaccinations. The UK target is for everyone to have had one vaccination by end of July so some won’t be able to go until November. It now looks as though the whole of Spain will be introducing a vaccination passport too.

Interestingly I rang my local travel agent today and asked what would happen if I booked a holiday abroad in August but then found that I couldn’t fly because the destination country had introduced a vaccination requirement but I hadn’t had both vaccines. Apparently they had already asked this question to a number of insurance companies and ABTA. The answer was very clear - if it is legal for you to fly from here but you can’t because of vaccine restrictions it will be your problem and you won’t get your money back! Be careful what you are booking

chelmsford

"It looks like Majorca are going to require a ‘ vaccination passport’ for travellers arriving there. From what I understand this will mean you will have needed to have both vaccinations ( the second three weeks before travel) and provide a negative test within 48 hours of travel. I presume the Canaries will do the same.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens there. If all adults are meant to be jabbed by end of July, we're then looking towards the end of August, for some. We've done extremely well with the vaccination program, so hopefully that date will move forward

Actually it will be a lot later than that as the passport will require you to have had both vaccinations. The UK target is for everyone to have had one vaccination by end of July so some won’t be able to go until November. It now looks as though the whole of Spain will be introducing a vaccination passport too.

Interestingly I rang my local travel agent today and asked what would happen if I booked a holiday abroad in August but then found that I couldn’t fly because the destination country had introduced a vaccination requirement but I hadn’t had both vaccines. Apparently they had already asked this question to a number of insurance companies and ABTA. The answer was very clear - if it is legal for you to fly from here but you can’t because of vaccine restrictions it will be your problem and you won’t get your money back! Be careful what you are booking "

Thanks for the info

London

[Removed by poster at 28/02/21 05:26:49]

» Add a new message to this topic