FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Spain > Moving to Spain

Moving to Spain

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tefe-Marty OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambs

Hello

We are looking at moving over to Spain in the spring, would be good to get some advice on normal life as well as swinging life.

We are thinking inland a little between Benalmadena down to Estepona

Going to be renting for a while to find the right house and area for us.

Thanks in advance

M and S

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *xpantiesMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

message me for advice. Cant DM you as male.

By *andb69Couple  over a year ago

leeds

I'm sure you already know this, but for those reading the thread who don't, moving to Spain from what is now a third country post Brexit is very complicated and expensive. Check the Spanish Embassy website for details.

By *ramerMan  over a year ago

Benidorm

Yes I live here in Spain and I am a resident with a driving licence

Please before moving here speak to

A Spanish lawyer or equivalent

It can be very expensive

But I do hope everything works out

Cambs

"I'm sure you already know this, but for those reading the thread who don't, moving to Spain from what is now a third country post Brexit is very complicated and expensive. Check the Spanish Embassy website for details. "

Hi

Thanks for your advice

But i'm very lucky in that my better half is French so i can tag along with her so to speak

Have spoken to a lawyer as it is very complicated but i don't need to worry about Embassy etc just local police station.

That part of things is sorted or will be when we arrive through lawyers as the Spanish seem to love to make things complicated easier and safer to get it done properly

Was more asking about in general, we aren't looking for a holiday by the sea, and are realistic knowing if we want a sparky then remember to ask

what week

month

year they mean when they say next wednesday lol

just trying to find out peoples first hand views etc

The only real worry so far is the driving licence which i'm hoping will be sorted by Feb fingers crossed

By *over757Man  over a year ago

Vera Spain

I moved to Spain 5 weeks ago in my motorhome and Im technically a tourist while moving around,came across via france so no official record that im in the country at the moment but that will change once I buy a place to live then I will have to get an NIE and have my motorhome put on Spanish plates and possibly take a spanish driving test, but the government are still negotiating to extend the deadline for just swapping it over.Before anyone mentions Brexit I have an Irish passport!

By *ramerMan  over a year ago

Benidorm

Well good luck I am sure you know the months to avoid are July and August

Regarding your driving you may need to do a Spanish test

Vera Spain

I did mention the test in my post. And whats wrong with July and August that I must be aware of? If you mean the heat Ive spent lots of time in Thailand so know what hot feels like.

Cambs

"I did mention the test in my post. And whats wrong with July and August that I must be aware of? If you mean the heat Ive spent lots of time in Thailand so know what hot feels like."

How are you finding being in Spain to looking remotely from the UK for houses etc ?

We have decided to rent so we can look around and find out where we want to live, see the area and at least have a better idea of the good and bad area's of a village or town.

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

We live in France and we rented for the first year to make sure we knew the area before we finally settled.

It’s different to changing house in the U.K. There, you’ll probably have a much better idea of your planned new location.

It can be an expensive mistake to buy somewhere that you don’t really know too well.

So we like your idea to rent before you buy.

Hope it works for you.

Cambs

"We live in France and we rented for the first year to make sure we knew the area before we finally settled.

It’s different to changing house in the U.K. There, you’ll probably have a much better idea of your planned new location.

It can be an expensive mistake to buy somewhere that you don’t really know too well.

Hope it works for you.

"

Thanks

We have been talking about for 4 or 5 years, decided that we need to at least try, like you giving ourselves a year to get a real idea of life ect

Sometimes in life you just have to go for it

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"We live in France and we rented for the first year to make sure we knew the area before we finally settled.

Hope it works for you.

"

Fully agree.

Rent for at least the first year. You need to see an area both in and out of season to get a proper idea.

That wonderful place that you love in July can be very different in January, and I don't just mean the weather.

If you make a mistake it is much easier to get out of a rental than to have to sell a place.

By *den_GCCouple  over a year ago

San Fernando, Gran Canaria

It is impossible to talk about moving to Spain now without mentioning Brexit.

We started moving to GC four months before Brexit and already it was impossible to get a NIE by simply going to a police station and getting one.

There are a number of factors that you need to consider. Here's just two examples. Before Brexit your belongings arrived in the port and after a customs inspection you got your belongings two days later. Our belongings spend two months in customs because every single item needed a code. Another example is drivers licenses. The UK and Spain have still not agreed on exchanging drivers licenses and we go from one deadline postponement to the next. At present it seems like we will have to do a Spanish driving test which can only be done in Spanish. It sounds like a small thing but until you learn Spanish you can't drive.

Also you need to prove you can sustain yourself financially. So not only is it expensive to move to Spain post Brexit but you need to have a lot of money in the bank in the first place.

Vera Spain

"

How are you finding being in Spain to looking remotely from the UK for houses etc ?

We have decided to rent so we can look around and find out where we want to live, see the area and at least have a better idea of the good and bad area's of a village or town.

"

I have friends and family living here and they tell me the ins and outs of different places. Ideally I want to live near or in Vera because of the beach and also having Mojacar,Garrucha,Palomares and Villaricos all in a small area but each having their own unique individuality for entertainment. I have my motorhome so I can always go for a wander if I fancy something different. The trouble with renting is its dead money, you can rent in 10 different places and not like any of them so back to square one.Im back in Vera this weekend so I'll be house hunting in earnest once these holidays are over.

By *andb69Couple  over a year ago

leeds

"It is impossible to talk about moving to Spain now without mentioning Brexit.

We started moving to GC four months before Brexit and already it was impossible to get a NIE by simply going to a police station and getting one.

There are a number of factors that you need to consider. Here's just two examples. Before Brexit your belongings arrived in the port and after a customs inspection you got your belongings two days later. Our belongings spend two months in customs because every single item needed a code. Another example is drivers licenses. The UK and Spain have still not agreed on exchanging drivers licenses and we go from one deadline postponement to the next. At present it seems like we will have to do a Spanish driving test which can only be done in Spanish. It sounds like a small thing but until you learn Spanish you can't drive.

Also you need to prove you can sustain yourself financially. So not only is it expensive to move to Spain post Brexit but you need to have a lot of money in the bank in the first place."

.....and don't forget the compulsory health insurance and complex tax laws that require you to declare not only all your income globally but also all your savings, property etc globally. We're a third country now and subject to all the EU rules we helped to establish for third countries.

By *ncubussuccubusCouple  over a year ago

funky

There are some great forums on FB

Brexpats in Spain being a good one

We are looking at the mo as UK crap passport holders.

NLV 5 year costs all in (visa plus living) is about £180K required (total for the 5 years for a couple)

You need 4x min wage to be proved for the visa plus about 6k for each dependant

This is about 34K Euros in year 1 for a couple.

Then you need twice that for years 2-3 and 4-5

Basically if you can keep 68K in the bank for 5 years that covers NLV costs

Then add living costs at about 2k / month = 120K for 5 years

You can't work or have any income on the NLV (other than pensions/investments).... If you get caught working you would/may be booted out

Our other option is to go Self Employed... That has its own issues

It's possible to convert NLV to Self Employed after year 1... I'm looking into this now.

You also need private medical insurance

Oh and your UK driving license expires after 6 months and you will need to take the Spanish theory and practical test (this may change)

Anyway, that's crudely, the basics for non EU people wanting to live permanent in Spain.

Oh, btw, the other visa is the Golden Visa. This requires 500K investment in Spain.

Prior to 1/1/2021 visas were not required for UK residents.

Thanks to each and every Brexit/Conservative voter.... #neverforgive

By *ncubussuccubusCouple  over a year ago

funky

Btw the above assumes low/no pension

If you have a pension of about 2.5k / month that should cover it

We haven't, and would need the cash/savings route

» Add a new message to this topic