FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Spain > PDI - Cash or cards?

PDI - Cash or cards?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orth-A-Squirt OP   Couple  over a year ago

Kent

Hey all,

We’re off to PDI for our first visit on Monday and just wondered whether it would be best to take cash or cards? Do most bars/clubs take cards?

TIA Xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I would take cards plus €100 each

By *uboCouple  over a year ago

East kilbride

Most take cards, all take cash.

Kent

That’s great, thanks guys Xx

By *arnsleyduoCouple  over a year ago

Barnsley

You will need a card on the beach to pay for sunbeds.

Apart from that everywhere takes cash.

We got back sunday xx

By *hismMan  over a year ago

Ballygonowhere

I haven't been over for over 3 years,but I'm sure I read somewhere on the forums that some of the clubs were only taking cash ?

By *ouldlove2Man  over a year ago

worthing

Do taxi take cards ??

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Do taxi take cards ??"

Yes, or download Pide Taxi App and pay using it

By *nigmatic DuoCouple  over a year ago

Portadown

Definitely cards for the beach sunbeds

By *sexyCouple  over a year ago

LUTTERWORTH

2x2 meeting point was cah only but all other clubs have been card...as are taxis.

By *enuinelylookingMan  over a year ago

Belfast

get yourself a revolut card then you dont get charged exchange rate

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

If you keep your card details on your phone you'll find it safer.

Most places are set up to read your phone.

Wise is the bank we use to transfer Pounds to Euros, just a nominal charge and you get whatever the rate is at the time of transfer

By *parkybunnyCouple  over a year ago

Zurich & London

"get yourself a revolut card then you dont get charged exchange rate"

We use a revolut account, just one card to carry, the other cards can stay locked in the safe. So much easier.

We learnt this after Mr left his wallet in a PDI taxi, he got it back, with all contents a couple of days later, but the revolut card is far simpler.

"get yourself a revolut card then you dont get charged exchange rate"

Agreed, though we do carry cash, especially for tips etc with the Revolut always as a back up. Think most places that don't accept cards nowadays are dodgy as fook lol

By *nsatiable_Couple555Couple  over a year ago

Mid Cornwall

We always take a combination as some places only take cash.

We prefer to pay cash when in bars and clubs anyway.

Also cash better for taxi, tips etc.

Lots of ATM around so easy to withdraw if needed anyway.

By *nlylearningCouple  over a year ago

Wirral

Both are fine

Kent

Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful.

We use a Caxton FX card when travelling so we’ll take that combined with some cash too Xx

worthing

I take a post office travel card ,just download enough money on it for beds on the beach ,which id very cheap compared with other places like majorca ,also i buy my food for my hotel as on self catering xps but cash ehen out in local bars x

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

Cash was best ….. we returned last week from our first visit, good fun place

Might be handy to list places that only accept cash? It could certainly save some people from embarrassing themselves?

By *ohn8210tCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

We went to Cap D Agde about 8 years ago. It was the summer bank holiday weekend. We don’t know exactly what happened but all the card machines went down absolutely everywhere , ( internet we think), so everybody was using what cash they had on them. There was then a rush on at the banks to draw lots of cash from the ATM’s but they very soon ran out on the Saturday afternoon, along with a lot of people. The ATMs weren’t restocked until the Tuesday due to it being the bank holiday weekend . Obviously the telecom people were on holiday as well , they didn’t fix the internet until the Tuesday .

Lots of people struggled we remembered, our friends included. Bearing in mind we were only there a few nights, like a lot of others too.

Fortunately we always take plenty of cash and for us four we were able to continue our holiday normally, paying for our friends in the daytime and the evenings out too . ( They hadn’t got much cash at all but had lots of flash visa ,debit, special member cards, gold cards etc etc - all useless ).

Three days and nights were like this .

We remember so many people saying it had spoilt their holiday. ( They couldn’t hire loungers, or have drinks on the beach in the daytime and no meals out in the evenings or clubs for an awful lot of people ). We always take enough cash anyway. Don’t rely on drawing it out of a ATM. Take it with you.

We’re not being clever as there is a risk to cash being stol… and where do you hide it etc? We always split it up. Our advice would be to take plenty, always enough to cover most of your holiday. After all you don’t have to use it, you can always take it home! We know it’s inconvenient with you on an evening out compared to card or phone payments.

On another note we went to the garage last week to fill up our car and the card machines were down . All weekend it was cash only. Our local takeaways and fish bars are cash only.

Don’t ever let anyone convince you that we can be a cashless society.

Post covid we think more and more outlets have moved to cash?

What are others peoples opinions?

worthing

Im not saying only have card for psyments ,i always take plenty of cash ,but if in pdi and only going to the beach for the day ,you have to take card to pay for sun beds ,and with a post office travel card if you only load it with £50 each time ,if it is lost or goes missing you would only loose that money ,as there is no bank details connected to the card

worthing

Ps i do take about 20 euros with me on the beach ,but that's just to have a cpl of drinks when i come of, then back to hotel and get ready for the evening with cash ,and my travel card that had a maximum of 50 or less euros on it ,you can always top it up on your phone app by your 3 security numbers that is in your brain only x

We only use cash and everywhere is happy to take cash

By *edonist 2Couple  over a year ago

Fylde Coast.

"Might be handy to list places that only accept cash? It could certainly save some people from embarrassing themselves? "

Good idea, we have been in this situation before, always ask on entry now.

Comeback and fun4all used to be cash only but they have since moved to card payment. X

By *ismetcplCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

We take cash and always hire a room safe. Take what cash we need for the day but also use a Monzo card . We top that up before going on holiday and use that where possible and anything left on the card we use up when we get back home.

We always have enough cash for our whole holiday as we have been caught before by the dreaded internet failure too.

By *ismetcplCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

Ps .. always use the pay in the local currency option when using the Monzo card .it gives better exchange rates.

"Might be handy to list places that only accept cash? It could certainly save some people from embarrassing themselves?

Good idea, we have been in this situation before, always ask on entry now.

Comeback and fun4all used to be cash only but they have since moved to card payment. X"

Must admit, I thought Covid had made contactless pretty much the norm everywhere, as it was compulsory for such a long period. We still use cash to tip in Bars/Clubs, as we've never been comfortable tipping staff by card. Luckily the exchange rate doesn't effect us, the Revolut card is just handy, as one card covers our Euro and Sterling needs.

» Add a new message to this topic