FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Period pain advice

Period pain advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is more for the ladies. I'm 36. Been on birth control since was 15. Was sterilised 2 years ago. Only had periods for last year regularly.

So ladies any advice on pain relief as I get pretty intense cramps. What works for you I would really appreciate any advice.

In younger years I have ended up hospitalised twice now.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not a lady but a soon to be pharmacist...

Have you tried various pain killers?

If so, which ones?

There's Feminax ultra which can be bought from some pharmacies specifically for period pain or boots period pain tabs too

By *toC Thats MeWoman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I don’t have much advice besides a warm bath and painkillers. Feel for you OP hope you feel better. It can be incredibly draining xx

By *nourdreamsCouple  over a year ago

Warwickshire

It’s the last thing I want to do but a gentle walk really helps x

"This is more for the ladies. I'm 36. Been on birth control since was 15. Was sterilised 2 years ago. Only had periods for last year regularly.

So ladies any advice on pain relief as I get pretty intense cramps. What works for you I would really appreciate any advice.

In younger years I have ended up hospitalised twice now. "

Ibuprofen works wonders for my period paind and also a wheat bag warmed up .. I feel for you.

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

I used to take raspberry leaf tablets and they helped. I have a mirena now so no periods and no pain. Woohoo.

By *arbellsWoman  over a year ago

Cambridge

Walk, stretch, hot water bottle, warm bath, pain killers.

I use an app called clue to track my symptoms and its predicts your cycle etc I can be prepared with activities and painkillers. Xx

Nurofen plus

By *arbellsWoman  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Walk, stretch, hot water bottle, warm bath, pain killers.

I use an app called clue to track my symptoms and its predicts your cycle etc I can be prepared with activities and painkillers. Xx"

The stretch I find most works for me is the cobra stretch. Couldn't think of the name xx

Feminax express.... I swear by it, i was sterilized in December and seems i had the unfortunate side effect of pelvic pain/Very bad period pains.

Hot water bottle and pain killers. And now I just accept the fact that I'll need to lie down and sleep (if possible) when I feel really shit. Used to try and plod on through but it's not worth it.

Oh thank you so much I have done ibuprofen and paracetamol. Also walks and hot water bottles. Just want to try and manage it so I don't end up in hospital again. Please any other alternatives would be worth a shot.

The birth controls I have used have all ment not had to deal with periods til this last year. So not enjoying them. All good advice thank you again xx

Also, would you be able to report back with what was the most help?

Would help me advise patients in the future

Thanks

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

For me personally, eating bread seems to help with cramps. I duno if you already eat bread. If you're not gluten free, try it, guess it won't harm trying

By *arpePinguisWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Any chance you can do something like Mirena? Not having periods is lovely. I used to struggle badly in my younger years and was prescribed Ponstan- may have a different name in the UK as this was in South Africa- but the drug itself is called mefenamic acid. Speak to your GP. Did a lot of good. Otherwise if you're taking paracetamol, take 3, 2 won't normally do the trick- and you can alternate with ibuprofen, as long as you're not going over the 24 hour limit for either drug. Let's be honest, Feminax is basically just ibuprofen but it works a bit faster. Not worth the massive price hike, to my mind. I'd also recommend caffeine when you take paracetamol, seems to help enhance the painkilling effect. Feel better soon x

By *ampshirehotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Hampshire

My gp prescribed me mefenamic acid tablets.

I suffer with endometriosis. So my period pains were unbearable at times. I have tried all of the over the counter pain killers and nothing seemed to help. A hot water bottle or wheat bag will help.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Buscopan helps...

Yarrow works for next time

Mirena coil...

Weight neutral. No periods. No mood swings

"Also, would you be able to report back with what was the most help?

Would help me advise patients in the future

Thanks "

Of course I'll do my best to.

"Any chance you can do something like Mirena? Not having periods is lovely. I used to struggle badly in my younger years and was prescribed Ponstan- may have a different name in the UK as this was in South Africa- but the drug itself is called mefenamic acid. Speak to your GP. Did a lot of good. Otherwise if you're taking paracetamol, take 3, 2 won't normally do the trick- and you can alternate with ibuprofen, as long as you're not going over the 24 hour limit for either drug. Let's be honest, Feminax is basically just ibuprofen but it works a bit faster. Not worth the massive price hike, to my mind. I'd also recommend caffeine when you take paracetamol, seems to help enhance the painkilling effect. Feel better soon x"

Agree 100% re mirena, was like night and day when I got it absolute winner.

"Mirena coil...

Weight neutral. No periods. No mood swings"

I have purposely avoided the mirena. Some of the things I enjoy would disturb it. But also not a single female in my family has reacted well to it with 2 in hospital with it (2 sisters of 4 of us) the coil is not an option at all for me.

By *inkyfun2013Couple  over a year ago

lewisham

It's nearly 10 years since my hysterectomy but I had horrendous period pain from the age of 10 to 40 and I still remember vividly how bad it was. I often missed school, then work because I was simply unable to function. Even being on the pill and a coil didn't help.

I alternated between paracetamol with codeine and ibuprofen so that my pain relief didn't drop too low, starting the day before my period started. I tried to exercise a bit, doing yoga or walking if I wasn't in bed. Swimming was best but obviously not always possible. When I was in my late teens I discovered that an orgasm helped.

A few years before my op I also bought my mooncup and somehow this helped too. I think it worked by the vaginal wall having to hold it in place and easing the pressure elsewhere but that's not the same for everyone.

"Any chance you can do something like Mirena? Not having periods is lovely. I used to struggle badly in my younger years and was prescribed Ponstan- may have a different name in the UK as this was in South Africa- but the drug itself is called mefenamic acid. Speak to your GP. Did a lot of good. Otherwise if you're taking paracetamol, take 3, 2 won't normally do the trick- and you can alternate with ibuprofen, as long as you're not going over the 24 hour limit for either drug. Let's be honest, Feminax is basically just ibuprofen but it works a bit faster. Not worth the massive price hike, to my mind. I'd also recommend caffeine when you take paracetamol, seems to help enhance the painkilling effect. Feel better soon x"

Feminax ultra is a fairly stronger anti-inflammatory (Naproxen) than Ibuprofen although it may have been recently discontinued

Boots have their own which is the same drug and i believe is their period relief tablets, available over the counter only x

By *rumpet and ScouseCouple  over a year ago

Chorley

I take codeine and ibroufen you can buy it over the counter and still take paracetamol in between

"I take codeine and ibroufen you can buy it over the counter and still take paracetamol in between "

Can only get Co-codamol over the counter which already has Paracetamol in..

Codeine linctus is available over the counter but the majority of Pharmacies wouldn't supply it due to abuse, plus it is normally only used for coughs

Paracetamol and ibuprofen combo. Can't go wrong. And they are cheap to buy.

"Paracetamol and ibuprofen combo. Can't go wrong. And they are cheap to buy. "

Now that's a combo i can approve of

"Paracetamol and ibuprofen combo. Can't go wrong. And they are cheap to buy.

Now that's a combo i can approve of "

That's my go to for any pain. I broke bones and this killed the pain!

Naproxen 6 hourly. Paracetamol 4. Wheat bags and hot baths hot drinks are the only things that help me

Thank you so much people. Really appreciate it. Hopefully this advice can help others to. Xxxx

If getting naproxen is difficult/expensive

Try seeing a GP or atm booking a phone call appointment...

You may also need some gastro protection if you're at risk of getting Stomach ulcers

Although each medication may cost £9.15 if you pay, if not then you're fine to go...

By *torm in a G cupWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Long White Cloud

Hi. Am not based in UK, but mefenamic acid and naproxen are both good for period pain and for heavy periods (not sure if this is an issue for you)

Good luck. Exercise and heat packs can also be effective from my experience.

"This is more for the ladies. I'm 36. Been on birth control since was 15. Was sterilised 2 years ago. Only had periods for last year regularly.

I'm not qualified but have many female friends, Maybe try an Ius coil?

Not sure if you can get it any more but Indian brandy was good for me in my teenage years. I had bad ones!

Used to add a little bit into some warm water and drink it. It was the only thing to have to ease the pain xxx

By *latinumkittenWoman  over a year ago

from Home Counties to Middle Earth

Someone once told me to eat more brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower) - I eat it about twice a week and it does seem to make a big difference to the levels of cramping

By *ilyRoseSmithWoman  over a year ago

somewhere not far from Bedford

I found once I switched to a menstrual cup the pain was less intense. A relative also introduced me to the following drink, and that helps too:

Black raisins

Sugar candy (Sakar)

Fennel seeds

Soak in water over night and drink following day. Keep it in fridge in summer. I find it helps to keep my body cool. She also advised me to eat cool food during my period. She said she finds rice and yogurt really soothing.

You can also get anti inflammatory period teas but I haven't tried those.

"I found once I switched to a menstrual cup the pain was less intense. A relative also introduced me to the following drink, and that helps too:

Black raisins

Sugar candy (Sakar)

Fennel seeds

Soak in water over night and drink following day. Keep it in fridge in summer. I find it helps to keep my body cool. She also advised me to eat cool food during my period. She said she finds rice and yogurt really soothing.

You can also get anti inflammatory period teas but I haven't tried those."

This sounds great I will be looking to try it. Is it hot water to soak?

3 ibuprofen when it's bad enough that I can't concentrate on anything else, and a hot water bottle jere possible works a treat for me.

[Removed by poster at 21/05/20 14:22:03]

"I found once I switched to a menstrual cup the pain was less intense. A relative also introduced me to the following drink, and that helps too:

Black raisins

Sugar candy (Sakar)

Fennel seeds

This sounds great I will be looking to try it. Is it hot water to soak? "

Yes x

Black raisins

Sugar candy (Sakar)

Fennel seeds

This sounds great I will be looking to try it. Is it hot water to soak?

Yes x"

You can also eat the mix afterwards if you don't want to waste it

[Removed by poster at 21/05/20 15:04:42]

By *OXO2018Couple  over a year ago

Norfolk

I get awful cramps and take tesco migraine relief are a god send! I recommend these's to everyone.

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

EFT = Emotional Freedom Technique is good for all sorts of pain. Dead easy learn and costs nothing to do.

I have endometriosis and honestly the best thing I've ever found is exercise..

If I sit still I'm focusing more on the pain.. x

By *ed just RedWoman  over a year ago

Dublin City

As soon as I started using a cup instead of tampons, my cramps all but went. I was sterilised almost 8yrs ago and my periods have now dwindled to about 1day. They can hit hard but the majority of cramps are manageable.

Also, have you tried Eskimo Oils, Omega 3? God knows why but they made a massive difference to dealing with the cramps, much easier to alleviate or something.

Buscopan for me every time. It’s magic. I hope you find something that helps xx

"As soon as I started using a cup instead of tampons, my cramps all but went. I was sterilised almost 8yrs ago and my periods have now dwindled to about 1day. They can hit hard but the majority of cramps are manageable.

Also, have you tried Eskimo Oils, Omega 3? God knows why but they made a massive difference to dealing with the cramps, much easier to alleviate or something. "

I'll look into some of these

Thank you again xxx

"It's nearly 10 years since my hysterectomy but I had horrendous period pain from the age of 10 to 40 and I still remember vividly how bad it was. I often missed school, then work because I was simply unable to function. Even being on the pill and a coil didn't help.

I alternated between paracetamol with codeine and ibuprofen so that my pain relief didn't drop too low, starting the day before my period started. I tried to exercise a bit, doing yoga or walking if I wasn't in bed. Swimming was best but obviously not always possible. When I was in my late teens I discovered that an orgasm helped.

A few years before my op I also bought my mooncup and somehow this helped too. I think it worked by the vaginal wall having to hold it in place and easing the pressure elsewhere but that's not the same for everyone.

"

That is quite odd...when I first started using a menstrual cup I thought it helped with symptoms but couldn't fathom why...maybe this is it. Unfortunately mine are too heavy now and the menstrual cup has let me down a few times in recent months with embarrassing consequences. Shame, cause it was brilliant whilst it worked.

Post total hysterectomy.. Ovaries womb cervix... At 36 last year. Been on most medications for pain and bleeding and birth control for endo. Try tranxemic acid for heavy flow... Not if you've history of blood clots though. I thought I'd kissed good bye to crippling pain but turns out most of my pain is adhesions between most of my internal organs. Yay! Lying in bed in wee ball at min. Jade

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

"Buscopan for me every time. It’s magic. I hope you find something that helps xx"

I've found this helps as well. Found out by accident but it makes sense

For those interested in a menstrual cup... this link is really useful

https://putacupinit.com/quiz/

I also use a reusable panty liner with my cup in the earlier days.

One of the reasons the cramps are less is because there are no toxins in the cup, like there are in tampons / sanitary towels.

Having used a cup for over 3 years now, I'd never go back to sanitary towels or tampons.

By *itch74Woman  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

A nice hot bath, with scented candles vanilla does it for me, few ibuprofen and glass of wine xx

I have found regular sex while on, has reduced the pain quite a bit... Only need paracetamol on the first full day then I am fine

"Post total hysterectomy.. Ovaries womb cervix... At 36 last year. Been on most medications for pain and bleeding and birth control for endo. Try tranxemic acid for heavy flow... Not if you've history of blood clots though. I thought I'd kissed good bye to crippling pain but turns out most of my pain is adhesions between most of my internal organs. Yay! Lying in bed in wee ball at min. Jade"

The tranexamic acid helped with my bleeding slightly but my stomach pain and bloating was actually worse with it! I haven't taken it since the beginning of the year for that reason. I was doubled over with the pain. Have read it can cause abdominal pain for some women unfortunately.

By *ittlemisssassypantsCouple  over a year ago

South East Wales

Are you using tampons/sanitary towels?

I’d highly recommend switching to reusable pads and a mooncup- my periods are lighter, less painful and shorter since switching!

I now hove a 3 day period it’s brilliant!

Sassy

By *rincess PhoenixWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

I've had my coil for 4yrs (due out next year) and at first it was brilliant no periods, no pain and didn't make my depression worse like the depo injections did but since the start of the year I'm having periods again and suffering hideous cramps, tiredness, back pain and general discomfort. Buscopan does help with stomach cramps a bit. A friend has said the paracetamol and ibuprofen combo works well (I can't take ibuprofen due to my other meds!)

By *DreamOfGenieWoman  over a year ago

London

I have a long thin hot water bottle which you can wrap around your tummy and lower back, I found that really helps - it's like a nice warm hug! Combined with Naproxen (GP can prescribe it for you) and a sleep on the first day of my period, that seems to keep most of the pain at bay.

By *arpePinguisWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

"I've had my coil for 4yrs (due out next year) and at first it was brilliant no periods, no pain and didn't make my depression worse like the depo injections did but since the start of the year I'm having periods again and suffering hideous cramps, tiredness, back pain and general discomfort. Buscopan does help with stomach cramps a bit. A friend has said the paracetamol and ibuprofen combo works well (I can't take ibuprofen due to my other meds!)"

Sorry you're struggling! I had a few months thinking I was perimenopausal before I got the docs letter saying it was renewal time, genuinely thought I was at 4 years not 5. Totally back to normal after new fitting. Ask to get yours done sooner once the docs and clinics are back open. Doc couldn't find the cords so I was sent to the sexual health clinic for scan and renewal, very brief pain and fine later that day- will ask for them again next time as I've struggled for days after doc had done it before

By *uri400Woman  over a year ago

Croydon

I was advised by a doctor that ibuprofen is best and it's much better than paracetamol. Just the no brand stuff is fine as it's all the Same so spending loads on special period pills is actually pointless.

I use a heat patch just because it's the only way i can sleep as they last all night

And finally if I'm still feeling awful I'll lay on the ground with my legs up on the sofa.

Hope it helps

Croydon

I gotta agree my pain decreased when I started using a menstral cup

Croydon

"For those interested in a menstrual cup... this link is really useful

https://putacupinit.com/quiz/

I also use a reusable panty liner with my cup in the earlier days.

One of the reasons the cramps are less is because there are no toxins in the cup, like there are in tampons / sanitary towels.

Having used a cup for over 3 years now, I'd never go back to sanitary towels or tampons. "

I love my cup I'm so heavy and it makes my life much better

Croydon

[Removed by poster at 25/05/20 21:39:28]

Croydon

"I take codeine and ibroufen you can buy it over the counter and still take paracetamol in between

Can only get Co-codamol over the counter which already has Paracetamol in..

You can buy codine- ibuprofen over the counter I brought it today neurofen do it

Codeine linctus is available over the counter but the majority of Pharmacies wouldn't supply it due to abuse, plus it is normally only used for coughs"

By *oodgirlturnedNaughtyWoman  over a year ago

Derby

I have suffered with really painful periods all my life and have also been hospitalised a few times. I take mefenamic acid a few days before and during my period but it's only prescribed by the drs, also have you had any scans because you could have an underlying issue. Hope you get them under control

By *osie xWoman  over a year ago

wolverhampton

Dark ( not milk) chocolate and broccoli help a lot.

I also take zinc supplements the week before my period (you can get them from boots)

» Add a new message to this topic