FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Reporting a lie on a profile

Reporting a lie on a profile

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, on the whole I take what others say on their profiles with a pinch of salt. I really don't care.

I had a social earlier this week with a Fab member who told me he was 53. When we met, it was clear he was closer to 70.

Not a huge issue as nothing other than a drink was ever on the cards.

However after we met, the guy messaged me and asked me to verify him. I told him I would once he had amended his age on his profile. He replied that he looked early 50s and that was good enough for him. Fair enough, no Veri.

My friend on here thinks I should report his profile, but I've only ever reported profiles in the past if a member was abusive or breaking site rules.

What do you think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Verifications are supposed to be to verify the person is the one in the photos.

Grey area where age is concerned, as they are the person in the photos, but not the same age.

A lot of people-including myself-change their age for privacy, or add/take on a few years to get around filters, but 10+ years makes a lot of difference.

It's deception which perhaps does nullify the verification.

East London

I'm going to see what the reasons for reporting a profile are.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I wouldn't verify someone who had lied about their age.

Reporting profiles generally doesn't lead to any sanctions here - I reported loads that were advertising meets during lockdown, who carried on every day. Unless fab demand photo ID to verify someone's age, I guess it's his word against yours.

"I wouldn't verify someone who had lied about their age.

Reporting profiles generally doesn't lead to any sanctions here - I reported loads that were advertising meets during lockdown, who carried on every day. Unless fab demand photo ID to verify someone's age, I guess it's his word against yours.

"

Oh I have no intention of verifying him!

East London

It is annoying that people can get away with huge deceptions on here.

I tell people my actual age when we first chat, and send a recent face pic. They can see how fat I am from my photo, but I'll send another recent clothed photo to be sure.

By *urrey Dave 69Man  over a year ago

Epsom, Surrey

The problem is you have no proof and it will only be your opinion you put forward. A moderator can only take action if they are sure the information provided is correct.

"The problem is you have no proof and it will only be your opinion you put forward. A moderator can only take action if they are sure the information provided is correct."

Yes, I agree.

Funny (or not) thing was though, when I got in my taxi and the guy waved me off, the driver said " awww is that your dad? I miss going for a pint with my dad"

East London

"The problem is you have no proof and it will only be your opinion you put forward. A moderator can only take action if they are sure the information provided is correct.

Yes, I agree.

Funny (or not) thing was though, when I got in my taxi and the guy waved me off, the driver said " awww is that your dad? I miss going for a pint with my dad" "

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"The problem is you have no proof and it will only be your opinion you put forward. A moderator can only take action if they are sure the information provided is correct.

Yes, I agree.

Funny (or not) thing was though, when I got in my taxi and the guy waved me off, the driver said " awww is that your dad? I miss going for a pint with my dad" "

By *arol321Woman  over a year ago

Poole

I reported someone who changed their date of birth and took 10 years off their age. They had contacted me previously as they were within my filter range (showing as 38) then one day when they messaged I saw their age was 28 - so I asked how they got round my filters and they confessed!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't think it's enforceable. I'd just block

By *oolkoupleCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Yes, I agree.

I reckon that's justice enough to be honest, so funny!

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

This problem demonstrates why it's a good idea to see the person on camera before meeting. Pictures can be oldor fake and people can describe themselves however they like on their profiles.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Maybe when you first create a profile you should upload a copy of your passport or similar ID. That would sort out many issues.It won't happen though .

"This problem demonstrates why it's a good idea to see the person on camera before meeting. Pictures can be oldor fake and people can describe themselves however they like on their profiles. "

Agreed. However because it was a social meet to discuss a shared interest, it really didn't matter to me how old he was.

But it's definitely going to matter to others, hence my question.

The problem is if you can lie about something as simple as your age, what else are you prepared to lie about? Personally OP i think he's got a cheek asking for a veri. I wouldn't necessarily report him but I would certainly block.

"The problem is if you can lie about something as simple as your age, what else are you prepared to lie about? Personally OP i think he's got a cheek asking for a veri. I wouldn't necessarily report him but I would certainly block. "

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"So, on the whole I take what others say on their profiles with a pinch of salt. I really don't care.

I had a social earlier this week with a Fab member who told me he was 53. When we met, it was clear he was closer to 70.

However after we met, the guy messaged me and asked me to verify him. I told him I would once he had amended his age on his profile. He replied that he looked early 50s and that was good enough for him. Fair enough, no Veri.

My friend on here thinks I should report his profile, but I've only ever reported profiles in the past if a member was abusive or breaking site rules.

What do you think?"

I'm guessing you're aware that there is loads of people who have more than one account as a birthday comes so does another account I'm not one of those people because I still prefer to be me and fit those who maybe in my age groups or at least honest about age if it ever mattered.

"So, on the whole I take what others say on their profiles with a pinch of salt. I really don't care.

What do you think?

I'm guessing you're aware that there is loads of people who have more than one account as a birthday comes so does another account I'm not one of those people because I still prefer to be me and fit those who maybe in my age groups or at least honest about age if it ever mattered."

Oh yes, I'm aware but like I said, it doesn't bother me what people lie about, as I only meet socially anyway.

It's just so unnecessary

You could verify him but on the verification you could say he looked more like 70 than the age on his profile. Verifications don't have to always be positive..

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

What do you think?

I'm guessing you're aware that there is loads of people who have more than one account as a birthday comes so does another account I'm not one of those people because I still prefer to be me and fit those who maybe in my age groups or at least honest about age if it ever mattered.

Oh yes, I'm aware but like I said, it doesn't bother me what people lie about, as I only meet socially anyway.

It's just so unnecessary "

I understand part of your point like when people are expected to meet a person at least be the age they are as that is one of the goals people are looking to meet folk so yes honesty counts a lot as much as anything else that could unfold, which later became untrue to.

I know someone on here who's taken ~20 years off their age. They're gym fit and look incredible for their age, so fair play to them, but it does make me laugh. You can still see their single profile with a wildly different (yet still inaccurate) age if you search for it. (You can tell because there are some of the same pics).

In the long run I think people don't mind as long as their eyes like what they see, but it is deceptive, yeah.

You're right not to verify him. Just one thing though, did you not ask him for a face pic before you met? I'm assuming you didn't. I would never meet anyone without knowing what they look like first x

What do you think?"

He to me is a Cat-Fish

I met 3 on another site...1 guy was at least 25 yrs older omg... He was supposed to be mid 30s but he turned out to be at least 60...shock horror...He had sent me very dated photos...I spoke to him many times via normal phone chat but he even had a totally different persona when I met him...Tbh a nasty bitta stuff...I had difficulty in escaping him True & he turned into a stalker... Long Story but nightmare stuff. Why don't you give him a true Veri & say this guy is a Cat-Fish...way older than stated etc... Sweat him out lol. You can block him then. But the only thing is he`ll have your Veri in his summary... So maybe not a good idea after all.

I actually don't see the point in reporting him as he'll just create a new profile. I never ever report. Only if I sense someone is a danger to others.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I was in a chat group with a guy 3 years ago who claimed to be 55 on his fab profile but admitted in the chat group that he was actually 57 or 58.

Only a couple of years I know so no harm done but strangely his current profile shows him as being 50.

"You're right not to verify him. Just one thing though, did you not ask him for a face pic before you met? I'm assuming you didn't. I would never meet anyone without knowing what they look like first x"

I did. The one he sent me was faded and he was stood miles away He looked around 50 in it though.

Lesson learnt. Don't meet people with unclear pics. I'm not sure it's reportable though. I'm not giving my true age. It never occurred to me I'd ever be reported for that though

East London

"Maybe when you first create a profile you should upload a copy of your passport or similar ID. That would sort out many issues.It won't happen though . "

Fuck that. I'm not putting my passport number anywhere on the Internet it's not supposed to be

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

We have this line on our profile on another site:

"Oh, and I should mention, if we meet you and you don't look like your pics you are buying the drinks until you do"

Works for us

What do you think?"

I think I no who you are typing about.

By *irm and TenderCouple  over a year ago

north west

"We have this line on our profile on another site:

"Oh, and I should mention, if we meet you and you don't look like your pics you are buying the drinks until you do"

Works for us "

Love this!

By *r and Mrs GravestoneCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

We have a big lie at the bottom of our profile text

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The fundamental problem in our society is ageism; there is a common musconception that younger is better. But very frequently this is not true.

Age almost invariably brings experience and wisdom to the table; in most cases the rough edges have been knocked off people's egos and they are less likely to be naive, conceited, rude, bigoted, offensive, tactless, impatient, prejudiced or discourteous.

If an older person has looked after themselves, physically, and they are in good shape and attractive, they have a lot to offer.

Tinsel Town

"We have a big lie at the bottom of our profile text"

Actually more tongue in cheek

"The fundamental problem in our society is ageism; there is a common musconception that younger is better. But very frequently this is not true.

Age almost invariably brings experience and wisdom to the table; in most cases the rough edges have been knocked off people's egos and they are less likely to be naive, conceited, rude, bigoted, offensive, tactless, impatient, prejudiced or discourteous.

If an older person has looked after themselves, physically, and they are in good shape and attractive, they have a lot to offer."

Agree.

"I don't think it's enforceable. I'd just block

"

Moderators don't do anything anyway from my experience x

"We have a big lie at the bottom of our profile text

Actually more tongue in cheek "

Great pics and profile btw.

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan  over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

If you give an honest verification, he could choose not to display it... but wouldn’t it still show as ‘verified by one person’ in the summary?

Technically you could say he’s completely fake in your wording, but it would seem as though he’s genuine because he’s got a veri in his summary.

"If you give an honest verification, he could choose not to display it... but wouldn’t it still show as ‘verified by one person’ in the summary?

Technically you could say he’s completely fake in your wording, but it would seem as though he’s genuine because he’s got a veri in his summary. "

I did think about doing a veri for him that mentioned his age. However I couldn't think of anything positive to say about him and I didn't want to be unkind.

Tinsel Town

"We have a big lie at the bottom of our profile text

Actually more tongue in cheek

Great pics and profile btw. "

Thank you, though I’m sure we could do better. Still learning

By *oxy lady40Woman  over a year ago

bridgwater

I’ve had man ,sending me screenshots of other people veris ,

"I’ve had man ,sending me screenshots of other people veris , "

Pretending they were his?

By *oxy lady40Woman  over a year ago

bridgwater

"I’ve had man ,sending me screenshots of other people veris ,

Pretending they were his? "

yes

"The fundamental problem in our society is ageism; there is a common musconception that younger is better. But very frequently this is not true.

If an older person has looked after themselves, physically, and they are in good shape and attractive, they have a lot to offer."

I don't think the OP is anything to do with ageism

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 23/05/21 13:55:56]

Sadly you can't change your age but I'm guessing he's identifying as as a 50 year old

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

What do you think?"

Do him a verification but make it sarcastic so you get your point across(he won't show it but you'll have had your fun)

"Met this 53yo who must have had a very hard life because I'd swear he looks 70 etc

Don't get angry get even, you'll feel better for it then block him.

If an older person has looked after themselves, physically, and they are in good shape and attractive, they have a lot to offer.

I don't think the OP is anything to do with ageism "

You are right Sam, it isn't. Like I said, we were meeting to discuss a mutual hobby, that is all. So his age was irrelevant to me. But it will be a huge deal to others, and not because they are age-ist.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

"Sadly you can't change your age but I'm guessing he's identifying as as a 50 year old "

You can change it once. Incase you get it wrong first attempt.

What you can't do is endlessly change your age to bypass any filters

By *ichaelsmyMan  over a year ago

douglas

surely if you verify, then you are verifying the lie.

if you are not comfortable with that then no verification.

personally i would say that they would be relying upon your verification to get to meet other people

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

It’s very common, I’d say the vast majority of people lie about age, because sex and virility is associated with age. Maybe it would be better if you diddnt have to say your age. I’m really 50 btw , although I always get told I look 40 !!!

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

"You're right not to verify him. Just one thing though, did you not ask him for a face pic before you met? I'm assuming you didn't. I would never meet anyone without knowing what they look like first x

I did. The one he sent me was faded and he was stood miles away He looked around 50 in it though."

And you still went ahead and met?

By *ingle ex cuckMan  over a year ago

chester

"You're right not to verify him. Just one thing though, did you not ask him for a face pic before you met? I'm assuming you didn't. I would never meet anyone without knowing what they look like first x

I did. The one he sent me was faded and he was stood miles away He looked around 50 in it though.

And you still went ahead and met?"

Yeah that’s what I thought I’ve always proof photo my face via - kik - watts app - or zoom - or sent a personalised photo request

I’ve had one similar experience a few years ago but she had only knocked 5 years off which she admitted

But 20 years is taking the P

Many people change their ages and names to avoid people recognising them from the real world based on their profile and to be honest it doesn’t bother me

If he is the man on the photo you were provided with before meeting I’d verify him.

I tend to give bland verifications ’met for coffee and had a nice chat etc’ I never go into details as to what happens during the meet because it’s private

If someone is kind enough to buy me a coffee and is good company I wouldn’t hesitate to give them a verification saying just that

By *edVelveteenCouple  over a year ago

Heaven in the Midlands

"You could verify him but on the verification you could say he looked more like 70 than the age on his profile. Verifications don't have to always be positive.. "

This, exactly.

"surely if you verify, then you are verifying the lie.

if you are not comfortable with that then no verification.

personally i would say that they would be relying upon your verification to get to meet other people"

Exactly this. Plus for all those suggesting to leave him a veri outing him over his age....he won’t display it but it will still show as a meet with a female.

Block and move on OP. Put it down to experience.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

It's so difficult and where do you draw the line.

I know someone who still uses pictures saying he is a certain age when in reality he is over a decade older, and I know it's not rare.

What about the people who say they are single and they are married, that's also lies.

It is a difficult one

"It's so difficult and where do you draw the line.

I know someone who still uses pictures saying he is a certain age when in reality he is over a decade older, and I know it's not rare.

What about the people who say they are single and they are married, that's also lies.

It is a difficult one"

I detest guys pretending to be single... I stupidly fell for that one with a fwb... Saw him many many times... He always had some excuse for not meeting at wkends or night time... He didn't wear a wedding ring... But I did ask him many times was he married & every time he'd deny it... Silly me for being so gullible.

I met another guy for a social... The tan line on his ring finger was so obvious... I pointed it out to him & said I thought you were single...& I made a rapid exit. Married or attached I avoid

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I would only verify someone who I trusted and would be happy for a good friend to rely on my trust in them.

I'd not do it under pressure, in fact the reverse.

I would move on from such an inappropriate person, as they have no compatibility with me.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

It is a difficult one

I detest guys pretending to be single... I stupidly fell for that one with a fwb... Saw him many many times... He always had some excuse for not meeting at wkends or night time... He didn't wear a wedding ring... But I did ask him many times was he married & every time he'd deny it... Silly me for being so gullible.

I met another guy for a social... The tan line on his ring finger was so obvious... I pointed it out to him & said I thought you were single...& I made a rapid exit. Married or attached I avoid"

Wear body glitter...the attached peeps run a mile!

By *etwifeandhim69Couple  over a year ago

Darlington

I would report it.

The guy was not what he claimed on his profile and then he wanted a veri to perpetuate those claims so he can sucker other people as well.

We can take a minor thing like says they are non smokers but really are but cant say we would be happy if someone said they where 50 but where 70 on a meet. Isn't going to happen and everyones time is wasted.

We are brutally honest on our profile. Probably to the point some people wont meet us (have been told by more shy types its intimidating) We show our faces, dont claim to be anything we are not etc. We dont do this for any other reason than "this is who we are and what you see is what you get". We dont want to be lead up the garden path by other fab users (yes it has happened) and we wouldnt want anyone to feel that way about us either.

So yeah, please report the account. Wont stop them coming back but at least it shuts that account down and saves someone else going through the same thing.

And you still went ahead and met?"

Yes because as I have already said, we were meeting to discuss a shared interest, that was all. Nothing more was ever on the cards.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

We are really honest with all non heterosexual regarding age and wants etc. However you have to Leave it and move on otherwise things would get really pretty on here, with all sorts of things being reported. E.g. his/her bum was bigger than on photos etc ......

By *ustfun009Man  over a year ago

oxford

No dont report but dont veri him either...he is the loser here for not being truthful....i would never lie to a potential meet, but perhaps thats why i have not had many

Sussex

"We are really honest with all non heterosexual regarding age and wants etc. However you have to Leave it and move on otherwise things would get really pretty on here, with all sorts of things being reported. E.g. his/her bum was bigger than on photos etc ......

"

Should read:

We are really honest with all on here regarding age and wants etc. However you have to Leave it and move on otherwise things would get really pretty on here, with all sorts of things being reported. E.g. his/her bum was bigger than on photos etc ......

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

The age thing is an issue on Fab as you can only change your profile age once (I think).

If you joined ten years ago your profile age likely reflects when you joined!

Clearly people could put that at top of profile text (if anyone reads it).

Our ages were wrong for a bit but we updated about 6 mths back (hence why I think you can only change once)

By *nvincible ButterflyWoman  over a year ago

LEEDS

"The age thing is an issue on Fab as you can only change your profile age once (I think).

Our ages were wrong for a bit but we updated about 6 mths back (hence why I think you can only change once)"

Your age on fab goes up every year

Mine definitely does much to my shame... Can't tell everyone I'm 21 and a bit when my profile outs me as 38 lol

Brighton

"The age thing is an issue on Fab as you can only change your profile age once (I think).

Our ages were wrong for a bit but we updated about 6 mths back (hence why I think you can only change once)

Mine definitely does much to my shame... Can't tell everyone I'm 21 and a bit when my profile outs me as 38 lol"

Err are you sure? Am pretty sure ours didn’t change and we had to manually change it (and it said you can only do this once!)

Have we missed a setting?

Manchester (she/her)

Mine definitely does much to my shame... Can't tell everyone I'm 21 and a bit when my profile outs me as 38 lol

Err are you sure? Am pretty sure ours didn’t change and we had to manually change it (and it said you can only do this once!)

Have we missed a setting? "

Mine changes - it's not a setting it's a default

It is a difficult one

I met another guy for a social... The tan line on his ring finger was so obvious... I pointed it out to him & said I thought you were single...& I made a rapid exit. Married or attached I avoid

Wear body glitter...the attached peeps run a mile!"

Brilliant!

By *aa KaliWoman  over a year ago

Essex

I have found this, not only with age, but with old pictures too. I have been genuinely catfished before, where they are nothing like their pictures. Much older & less toned now.. It's genuinely lying so it should be reported.

When someone does not look like the pictures. Then I feel its time to report!

By *nvincible ButterflyWoman  over a year ago

LEEDS

Have we missed a setting? "

It does it on your birthday's for you

Brighton

Have we missed a setting?

It does it on your birthday's for you"

Must be going do-lal as could have sworn it didn’t change!

Second fail this morning. Need a cuppa and a sit down I think

Manchester (she/her)

only human, like the rest of us (read in a friendly tone, honestly - forum "tone" can be weird)

By *r and Mrs B xxCouple  over a year ago

Chippenham

A guy that we know on here changes his age back to 40 every birthday. When I noticed that it never changed on his birthday I asked him and he admitted it. He's must be a mid 50s and he does it to get round filters.

Brighton

" only human, like the rest of us (read in a friendly tone, honestly - forum "tone" can be weird)"

kettle is on

Brighton

"A guy that we know on here changes his age back to 40 every birthday. When I noticed that it never changed on his birthday I asked him and he admitted it. He's must be a mid 50s and he does it to get round filters."

Total tangent but that “naughty box” you got in your pics is mighty impressive! Scary but impressive

By *ominantDogMan  over a year ago

Manchester, Docklands, Exmoor

"Maybe when you first create a profile you should upload a copy of your passport or similar ID. That would sort out many issues.It won't happen though .

Fuck that. I'm not putting my passport number anywhere on the Internet it's not supposed to be "

I couldn't have put it better myself.

May I borrow your sledgehammer to crack this nut?

Maybe it is us, but how on earth can anyone verify someone that lies?

To do so makes you as bad as the one that is lying!

By *rs BxxWoman  over a year ago

Chippenham, Wiltshire.

[Removed by poster at 24/05/21 09:27:27]

By *r and Mrs B xxCouple  over a year ago

Chippenham

"A guy that we know on here changes his age back to 40 every birthday. When I noticed that it never changed on his birthday I asked him and he admitted it. He's must be a mid 50s and he does it to get round filters.

Total tangent but that “naughty box” you got in your pics is mighty impressive! Scary but impressive "

Hubby's box of tricks, perfectly safe in the right hands.

You are spot on in your actions, That’s prob the best way veris work, simply veri if the person was genuine, as this guy wasn’t then you are bang on not to veri.

I think nearly every profile has some bend in the truth, or simply miss out the truth, are you going to report someone that says they are 8”+ and only turn out to be 5”, a lady that says she’s a size 14 and turns out to be 20+, someone who says they give amazing head and it turns out to chew half your cock off.

I’m a big advocate of a FaceTime or WhatsApp before meeting, doesn’t out everyone, but does show a little into things.

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

I've had a very similar situation last summer. We were only meeting for an outdoor coffee and when I pulled him on his age he told me as soon as you hit a milestone birthday you get blocked by filters, so he's no intention of ever leaving his 40s (even though he was in his 60s).

I refused to veri as I felt he wasn't who he was purporting to be. I didn't report though because I'm not sure it directly breaks any rules.

For the people asking about photos he has photos up and they aren't obviously old. He shared face photos before the social which again weren't obviously old. I dont insist on a cam chat before a social so its possible I'll be in this situation again, but I'm not particularly stressed over it. If I didn't do socials first then it would be a much bigger issue for me I guess.

By *anky_PankyWoman  over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

If he is unverified I would leave him as such. If he is already verified then he gains nothing from getting another, but leave a negative one saying the pics are deceptive and he is old enough to have been at school with old man time.....

Don't block him though as then it hides the veri! He probably won't display it, but I do know of ladies that insist on seeing all veris - maybe for reasons like this!!

Sussex

" only human, like the rest of us (read in a friendly tone, honestly - forum "tone" can be weird)

kettle is on"

One sugar for me please if we meet ha

Two thoughts on this.

You're absolutely right to refuse to leave a verification for him, but I would suspect that Fab admin would prefer you to also report the profile as he is clearly attempting to pass himself off as someone he is not.

If this isn't addressed, people will continue to lie about their age, or pose as a couple etc in order to get around filters.

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

A veri is to say they are that person .whether or not he's fabricated his age or not...if you reported him then you'll have to report a good many more . Just block and move on he's obviously not what you thought so it's simple. Life to precious to worry on age his loss at the end of the day

By *nked_kittenWoman  over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

The other day I reported a profile for having a picture of Chris hemsworth on it.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

I always report the ones that lie about their age.

» Add a new message to this topic