FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Photograph lighting

Photograph lighting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi,

I've been asked to take some semi-pro "action" shots for a couple. I'm using a Nikon DSLR so am happy with the camera.

However I'm trying to work out the best way of illuminating within the tangle of legs! Obviously the camera has an onboard flash. Am I best getting a macro ring flash or a detachable flash...? Or does neither really give you much of an improvement?

Opinions please....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ouchmeslowlyMan  over a year ago

or near Lynn and Norwich

go on ebay and get a couple of cheep remote flashs ,, you dont need to spend much money and have some great results

The best ones are light sensative ,,ie the go off and the one on camera does ,, and are self regulating ,,

Hope this helps ,,P

By *coobyroo218Couple  over a year ago

Guernsey

There are many ways of doing this but by the sounds of things you have never done this before or even used an off camera flash bofore so its going to be very hit and miss.

Like said get on ebay and get a couple of off camera flashes, Look at Jessops 360AFD ones for nikon (around £40) very good value I have one for my canon.

And practice practice practice with different set up and see what results you get.

It is not going to be easy

Try looking on www.talkphotography.co.uk this is a brilliant forum with lots of friendly people and will get lots of answers you will need.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Go on amazon or eBay and get a flash gun, you can then angle the light to where you want it and control how bright it is. You don't have to spend a fortune on one

Message me tomorrow when I'm not pissed and I can help you out

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

I have a couple of studio lights. I have one of these connected via a cable to the camera. The other light is triggered when the light fires via a light-sensitive thing.

Unless you have the brightness adjusted perfectly, you will probably find it a bit harsh - even will a softbox or diffuser umbrellas.

Plenty of natural light and maybe a reflector may help out.

Using the on-camera flash will be a very hit and miss affair IMHO.

Ipswich

A 'proper' flashgun with a Stofen diffuser or similar may be useful - but don't get too near the subjects.

Try using a longer focal length lens with a modicum of zoom to counteract the blast of light. You can always adjust the levels in Photoshop or similar.

"A 'proper' flashgun with a Stofen diffuser or similar may be useful - but don't get too near the subjects.

Try using a longer focal length lens with a modicum of zoom to counteract the blast of light. You can always adjust the levels in Photoshop or similar."

longer focal length with zoom. ? If you are adding a light source because ambient light is insufficient then you need to control the light source not the focal length of your lens . . . Dependent on which nikon you have . . It may be capable of triggering off camera flash or may not have an integral flash . . . And for novice . . Ttl metering is the easy way . . . If you like private and can discuss further . . . Easier still if you're trying to get into nooks and crannies try simple lamp . . Adjust white balance to suit and if necessary adjust iso . . .

Or try making it outdoors. Natural light cannot be replicated. Also will look better amongst some nice trees

The warmth off old tungsten lights works well this time of year in some freezing cold bedrooms

Wolf

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

If you're going to be doing this fairly soon, don't buy anything...it takes a while to learn lighting, whatever way you decide to approach the problem.

Your best solution is to use continuous lighting (lamps, spotlights, whatever), shoot as slow as you can get away with, with as fast a lens as you've got and at as high an ISO as you need.

Shoot in RAW, so you can fix with white balance from possibly differing light sources in post-processing.

And remember, shadows are good, if used properly.

Use the flash on the camera down as low as it will go, just for a bit of fill light.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

Oh, and ditch the Nikon and get a, proper camera

Ipswich

"A 'proper' flashgun with a Stofen diffuser or similar may be useful - but don't get too near the subjects.

Try using a longer focal length lens with a modicum of zoom to counteract the blast of light. You can always adjust the levels in Photoshop or similar. longer focal length with zoom. ? If you are adding a light source because ambient light is insufficient then you need to control the light source not the focal length of your lens . . .

Dependent on which nikon you have . . It may be capable of triggering off camera flash or may not have an integral flash . . . And for novice . . Ttl metering is the easy way . . . If you like private and can discuss further . . . Easier still if you're trying to get into nooks and crannies try simple lamp . . Adjust white balance to suit and if necessary adjust iso . . . "

Sometimes it is hard to adjust the lighting properly - so it can be easier to control the other parameters.

"

Oh, and ditch the Nikon and get a, proper camera"

This is your answer my friend

"Hi,

I've been asked to take some semi-pro "action" shots for a couple. I'm using a Nikon DSLR so am happy with the camera.

However I'm trying to work out the best way of illuminating within the tangle of legs! Obviously the camera has an onboard flash. Am I best getting a macro ring flash or a detachable flash...? Or does neither really give you much of an improvement?

Opinions please....

"

It all depends on the available ambient light as well. Getting your camera off-flash (with a lead, or wireless unit) will give more flexibility with what you can achieve.

Definitely shoot RAW though, as white balance problems can then be corrected in processing. And if possible, try to do some test lighting shots before the action starts!

And good luck!

M

all this photography mumbo jumbo

"Hi,

Opinions please....

It all depends on the available ambient light as well. Getting your camera off-flash (with a lead, or wireless unit) will give more flexibility with what you can achieve.

Definitely shoot RAW though, as white balance problems can then be corrected in processing. And if possible, try to do some test lighting shots before the action starts!

And good luck!

M

"

just started using RAW..its not too bad...I'm using ACDpro for editing...actually prefer it more than photoshop mostly

Speaking as a photographer, of models, which I am, if you have to ask how to light a scene, you shoulnd't be shooting it.

"Speaking as a photographer, of models, which I am, if you have to ask how to light a scene, you shoulnd't be shooting it."

cutthroat world eh?

if you want good pics and using off camera flash it's important you set up your camera right you need the setting to manual and set the f stop shutter speed and iso speed, but with the camera you have you be fine as you are you are close to the subject so a powerful flash is not required and you can do wonders with any good photo suite any darkness can be sorted with the fill light tool happy clicking

eddie

"

This is your answer my friend"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!!

"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!! "

i have an entry level bridge camera( HS30EXR)..Ive seen some better cameras obviously costing much m,ore...but there is so much u can don editing wise.Ive seen some 'professional' photographers and still think I can do what they do...at a fraction of the effort and price.

"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!!

i have an entry level bridge camera( HS30EXR)..Ive seen some better cameras obviously costing much m,ore...but there is so much u can don editing wise.Ive seen some 'professional' photographers and still think I can do what they do...at a fraction of the effort and price."

Yep!

£300 for a D3000, a tripod and a remote!

And having a ball just experimenting - after all - if you don't like the results - you just have to do it all over again!!

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Speaking as a photographer, of models, which I am, if you have to ask how to light a scene, you shoulnd't be shooting it."

if questions were never asked, nobody would ever know anything. I guess you were born an expert in photography?

By *oftfocusMan  over a year ago

EDINBURGH

Bounce flash on to preferably white ceiling.simple.

"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!! "

I need more proof than that

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

just started using RAW..its not too bad...I'm using ACDpro for editing...actually prefer it more than photoshop mostly"

M doesn't use photoshop, he processes all his pictures in Lightroom

With all due respect, that is not a fair statement.

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

just started using RAW..its not too bad...I'm using ACDpro for editing...actually prefer it more than photoshop mostly

M doesn't use photoshop, he processes all his pictures in Lightroom "

I used it on ur recommendation and didnt like it..might just uninstall the thing lol

Hinckley

Harsh...

I learnt everything I know about lighting (and I'm a photographer, of models, amongst many other things...hairy arsed rugby players last night) by speaking to other photographers and a lot of trial and error.

Hinckley

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

I used it on ur recommendation and didnt like it..might just uninstall the thing lol"

I'm not a big fan of Lightroom, I love layers too much. It is great for editing product photography though.

Hinckley

"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!! "

It was a joke really...had the photographer who taught me most of what I know, many years ago, been a Nikon man, I've no doubt I would be as well

The £15k's worth of lenses I have now says I won't be swapping allegiances in the near future though !

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

I used it on ur recommendation and didnt like it..might just uninstall the thing lol

I'm not a big fan of Lightroom, I love layers too much. It is great for editing product photography though."

I'll let M answer that one, as I know he uses other things, but I'll probably just talk crap and get it wrong

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

I used it on ur recommendation and didnt like it..might just uninstall the thing lol"

Don't blame me haha

Hinckley

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

I'm not a big fan of Lightroom, I love layers too much. It is great for editing product photography though.

I'll let M answer that one, as I know he uses other things, but I'll probably just talk crap and get it wrong "

Oh, I've tried em all ! Might even pay for one, one of these days

Photoshop and Nik Filters is pretty much all I use now, apart from some actions I've had for years.

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

I'll let M answer that one, as I know he uses other things, but I'll probably just talk crap and get it wrong

Photoshop and Nik Filters is pretty much all I use now, apart from some actions I've had for years."

Now I know he has used Photoshop in the past, but seriously should shut up, me that is lol

*shall send M a signal to his batcave* lol

"Hi,

Opinions please....

And good luck!

M

Photoshop and Nik Filters is pretty much all I use now, apart from some actions I've had for years."

yeahh nik filters, picasa(yes picasa!), AKVISHDR(its actually quite good) and ACDseepro(just great painting on orton effects etc)- i took some great pics in the last few days...non sexual stuff lol

Hinckley

[Removed by poster at 04/10/12 18:47:28]

Not sure who posted about " if you don't know how to don't shoot" but I think that's very unfair!!

We all have to start somewhere, don't. We??

I still have to ask questions sometimes!!

And I think that there is always something new to learn!!

I use Photoshop and sometimes lightroom, don't really get on with the latter though!!

It would be interesting to know how the OP got on!

"Not sure who posted about " if you don't know how to don't shoot" but I think that's very unfair!!

I use Photoshop and sometimes lightroom, don't really get on with the latter though!!

It would be interesting to know how the OP got on! "

I'll get M to teach you

"Not sure who posted about " if you don't know how to don't shoot" but I think that's very unfair!!

I use Photoshop and sometimes lightroom, don't really get on with the

latter though!!

I'll get M to teach you "

Would he??

Not sure the OP has received all that much good advice, it's all been a lot of bickering.

15K worth of lenses and you don't pay for Photoshop? You're putting software like developers like me out of business.

Photoshop and Lightroom are different products for different purposes. They complement one another,

To the OP, I would suggest reading some lighting tutorials online, and practise practise practise. photo.net is a good site to get some constructive advice from fellow photographers.

And don't be worried - there is no right or wrong in photography. If people like an image, it doesn't matter what camera or software was used in its processing.

Good luck OP!

M

Hinckley

"Not sure the OP has received all that much good advice, it's all been a lot of bickering.

15K worth of lenses and you don't pay for Photoshop? You're putting software like developers like me out of business.

Photoshop and Lightroom are different products for different purposes. They complement one another,

To the OP, I would suggest reading some lighting tutorials online, and practise practise practise. photo.net is a good site to get some constructive advice from fellow photographers.

And don't be worried - there is no right or wrong in photography. If people like an image, it doesn't matter what camera or software was used in its processing.

Good luck OP!

M

"

I'd have said I gave him a lot of good advice !

When Adobe start pricing their products more competitively, I'll start buying them. I know LR and CSx complement each other, hence I use LR for product photography work.

I use Photoshop and sometimes lightroom, don't really get on with the

latter though!!

I'll get M to teach you

Would he?? "

Of course hun *air kiss* and *kiss from him*

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

when we shoot, rule of thumb, digital you can never have enough light, we use four heads tungsten lighting, soft boxes and brollies, but also use a ring flash (always larf at that) for the up close action bit shots

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

We take lots of pics and some videos at home and encourage friends to bring their cameras, and we always take ours to away meets (most people don't mind pics, we find). We just stick to bedside lights and flashes, the idea of having specialist lighting doesn't appeal, we think it would change the whole scenario. We're there for the sex, not for the pics and videos after!

By *antsinyourpantsMan  over a year ago

portsmouth

your best bet is to bounce the flash to soften its effect and use reflectors to evenly distribute the light! This would require a detachable flash with tilt and swivel head. Good luck with your shoot.

Pip

By * pool 1Couple  over a year ago

Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 05/10/12 17:40:02]

Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 05/10/12 17:43:21]

Liverpool

"We take lots of pics and some videos at home and encourage friends to bring their cameras, and we always take ours to away meets (most people don't mind pics, we find). We just stick to bedside lights and flashes, the idea of having specialist lighting doesn't appeal, we think it would change the whole scenario. We're there for the sex, not for the pics and videos after!"

Get yourself a trial version of a photo editing program and mess about with it you will be surprised what results you can achive with it .

Just turn the flash off an iphone and take some, we've had some really good pics from the iphone camera and I do have a decent dslr too.

Personally if I was starting from nothing then I would be inclined to buy a reasonable off camera flash jessops do some reasonable ones, a cheap wireless trigger and a cheap tripod to mount it on, set it up bouncing the flash of the ceiling till you get a suitable light fall on the subjects you are photographing, but most of all don't stress to much about the subject lighting just experiment as you go along, try to focus more on composition and getting focus as sharpe as possible. Lets face it you could have the greatest lighting set up in the world but if your focus and composition are rubbish then you will have crap photos not matter how good your lighting is.

Chris and Jayne xx

Being a professional photographer (Sophie's hubby here) I have been waiting to comment cause some posts seem too much about what is percieved as being correct rather than what works for the individual (sometimes what seems daft will work great).

It irks me too that where ever you go it appears you can't get away from Nikon vs Canon or Xbox vs Playstation or silly arguments very similar...

So some comments based on years of experience but these are ONLY my opinion and not to be taken as 100% correct.

Shoot in raw, yep I'd agree with that one unless your very confident with light metering and ISO settings etc.

Canon vs Nikon, both are great makes just like most car manufacturers these days. Personally I am a Nikon user and would suggest the only area Nikon are ahead of Canon is in their CLS system (Creative Lighting system) but Canon still make fantastic cameras and vice versa!

Photoshop and Lightroom, yep both excellent pieces of kit but unless you are good with both/one of you are going to struggle to produce high quality results. Buy yourself an actions software package like Topaz for best results - the difference is amazing if your a basic photoshop user.

NB: Loads of instructional videos on youtube for photo editing with some great ideas!

For this job yep off camera flash would be my choice however what works for the individual works... best way forward is to look at youtube and watch loads of portrait videos for lighting and set-ups as their is a raft of opinion on what works and what doesn't - trial and error will serve you just as well before you involve the couple though.

Be careful when using cheap remote trigger systems would be my only clear advice as the triggering systems usually only have a small number of contact points compared to what is on the camera and its not the first time a remote has caused major damage to a camera.

Finally, back to the photos. The end result desired is what the couple will like and I bet you that you could achieve that with one flash gun or an Iphone or a digital camera in the right location(s).

All you need to understand is what the couple want to achieve or decide on what is creative and different and makes the couple sit-up and think yep that's a great photo...

Photography is an art and the world's best photographers don't always know what is the best way to light a scene at the start of it but they will know what they are setting-out to achieve and from that base idea they will start to determine what will best light the shoot (bet you they don't always get that right first time).

Thanks, as an amateur I'll take onboard the great advice and hopefully the last on this thread for others to read. Now a model needed for lots and lots of practice

Liverpool

Sophiestication well written and great advice well done you.Going to have a play with Topaz myself ! the program Thanks.

Shoot during the day next to a window and use the natural light. Use a white sheet to reflect the light back onto your subject. Put a net curtain up to diffuse the light (it'll be less harsh).

If you're going to use off camera flash you want it to be TTL capable or buy a light meter. Without which, you be there all day testing and adjusting.

"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!!

It was a joke really...had the photographer who taught me most of what I know, many years ago, been a Nikon man, I've no doubt I would be as well

The £15k's worth of lenses I have now says I won't be swapping allegiances in the near future though !"

Someone else who's got LBA, like me

Wolf

Hinckley

"

Oi cheeky!

Mines doing fine!!!

The £15k's worth of lenses I have now says I won't be swapping allegiances in the near future though !

Someone else who's got LBA, like me

Wolf

"

Not anymore...got all the ones I need now...though I do wish I'd had a spare £6k when I was offered a hardly used pair of L Series 400mm and 300mm f2.8 primes last year !

As for TTL, I bloody hate it...I always shoot manual and use histograms and the white side of my white balance card to get the exposure right, takes about the same time as using my light meter.

Speaking as a former pro-photographer of people (incl models) are you telling us that you have never used anyone elses work as inspiration - including the lighting technique used? Course you have. So have I and so has every photographer - pro or am - since Fox Talbot first pointed that breeze-block of a camera of his at his first unsuspecting subject.

The OP said he had been 'asked' to take some semi-pro shots. He did not say he was 'semi-pro' (which usually means they do not earn all of their income from photography) nor did he make any reference to his abilities and/or experience.

To dismiss his OP by inferring that as he doesn't know how to go about it, he shouldn't be doing it, is demeaning and not what I would expect of a genuine "professional photographer" - most of whom, like me, have been only too happy to pass on the myriad hints and tips they have learned over the years to those new to the creative process. I benefitted from the experience of others and have no problem anyone asking me for advice.

Rant over.

(PS sorry, I did not save said rant for Thursday.... grovelling apologies )

Hinckley

"Speaking as a photographer, of models, which I am, if you have to ask how to light a scene, you shoulnd't be shooting it.

Speaking as a former pro-photographer of people (incl models) are you telling us that you have never used anyone elses work as inspiration - including the lighting technique used? Course you have. So have I and so has every photographer - pro or am - since Fox Talbot first pointed that breeze-block of a camera of his at his first unsuspecting subject.

The OP said he had been 'asked' to take some semi-pro shots. He did not say he was 'semi-pro' (which usually means they do not earn all of their income from photography) nor did he make any reference to his abilities and/or experience.

To dismiss his OP by inferring that as he doesn't know how to go about it, he shouldn't be doing it, is demeaning and not what I would expect of a genuine "professional photographer" - most of whom, like me, have been only too happy to pass on the myriad hints and tips they have learned over the years to those new to the creative process. I benefitted from the experience of others and have no problem anyone asking me for advice.

Rant over.

(PS sorry, I did not save said rant for Thursday.... grovelling apologies )"

There should be a 'Like' button on here ! As I said before, pretty much everything I know has been passed down to me by other photographers. Now if all the GWC's would let me get back to making a decent living !

ok whats the above abbreviations lol-this a photographers clique?

Hinckley

LBA - Lens buying addiction

TTL - Through the Lens metering

GWC - Guy with camera...every bugger with a digital camera that thinks he's now a 'photographer' and can shoot naked women !

Did I miss any ?

"LBA - Lens buying addiction

TTL - Through the Lens metering

GWC - Guy with camera...every bugger with a digital camera that thinks he's now a 'photographer' and can shoot naked women !

Did I miss any ?

"

suppose I'm a GWC lol...nothing like shooting ON naked women tho

» Add a new message to this topic