FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Toys and STI

Toys and STI

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If you use a toy on someone, wash it and put it away ready for next time is it then 'safe'? As in, could you still contract a STI from it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I would never share my toys but you need to use condoms on them too.

Cali

Me neither but this is a wand belonging to someone else so probably couldn't put a condom on it.

By *issBehavingxxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I would never share my toys but you need to use condoms on them too.

Cali"

I do share mine..... but yep only with condoms on them too

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I use dettol wipes on those that cannot be completely submerged and washed with soapy water.

Sheffield

"I use dettol wipes on those that cannot be completely submerged and washed with soapy water."

And I always clean them before they go away even though I don't share.

I'd always put a condom on toys that I share and those that can't be wrapped up I wouldn't share.

I always put condoms on toys, even if im using my own on me

Thanks for all your replies so far . What I really want to know is, in theory, can you catch an STI off a toy that has been cleaned and not used for a while? Can an STI 'germ' live on the toy? Perhaps its one for the clinic to answer?

Cali"

Ive just copied this off the NHS web site

Chlamydia is an obligate intracellular parasite and can only survive a short time (seconds to

minutes) outside the human body. Chlamydia requires living human cells in order to live. For

most STD organisms to thrive, they need very specific conditions: human cells to support them,

appropriate moisture and temperature (preferably around 98.6 degrees). Sounds like your joystick

doesn’t meet any of these criteria. Even without a proper cleaning, chlamydia would not survive

long at all on your dry, inanimate, room temperature vibrator. The same goes for other STDs –

they live well in body fluids and tissues, but die shortly after leaving their human hosts.

"Thanks for all your replies so far . What I really want to know is, in theory, can you catch an STI off a toy that has been cleaned and not used for a while? Can an STI 'germ' live on the toy? Perhaps its one for the clinic to answer?"

Not entirely sure, but one I'd not be prepared to find out.

I suppose if you take a strap on for example, if I used that over 8 blokes for eg in one evening, there is a high possibility of something being transferred.

I don't think any cleaning stuff available to Joe public would kill any STI, so I would never risk it.

Sheffield

"Thanks for all your replies so far . What I really want to know is, in theory, can you catch an STI off a toy that has been cleaned and not used for a while? Can an STI 'germ' live on the toy? Perhaps its one for the clinic to answer?"

If there is 'food' and the conditions are right (usually warm and damp) germs can grow anywhere and various bacteria which do not cause issues in minute quantities or when your immune system is strong can be an issue (imagine MRSA of the foof!).

So clean properly after use and store in a well ventilated and cool place. Also, if you haven't used it for a while consider giving it a wipe with something like a dettol wipe or a toy cleaning wipe (allow to air dry before use).

If you google "sex toy cleaner" there is an NHS page fairly high up in the results that states that it is possible to pass on an STI using toys.

It gives info on reducing the risk by cleaning etc ....

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Cali

I do share mine..... but yep only with condoms on them too "

Likewise. Wash with sex toy cleaner, air dry and always use a condom.

Do find it strange people will have recreational penetrative sex with strangers, even bareback but act horrified at the thought of sharing toys...it's a funny old world!

"If you google "sex toy cleaner" there is an NHS page fairly high up in the results that states that it is possible to pass on an STI using toys.

It gives info on reducing the risk by cleaning etc ...."

there is a risk if two people are sharing toys at the same time swapping straight from one vigina to another

I have been reading a few sites over the past half hour or so and all of them say STIs die very soon after leaving the body, so from what i can tell if you used a toy and leave it a day or two before you use it again anything on it would be dead by then

STIs are a parasite, they can not live without a host

Cali

I do share mine..... but yep only with condoms on them too

Likewise. Wash with sex toy cleaner, air dry and always use a condom.

Do find it strange people will have recreational penetrative sex with strangers, even bareback but act horrified at the thought of sharing toys...it's a funny old world! "

most od my toys are strap on related, be a bit pointless not sharing them

I do always use condoms on them tho as nearly all of my toy play is on men and as theres bacteria that lives up the anus i think it needs added protection

"If you google "sex toy cleaner" there is an NHS page fairly high up in the results that states that it is possible to pass on an STI using toys.

there is a risk if two people are sharing toys at the same time swapping straight from one vigina to another

I have been reading a few sites over the past half hour or so and all of them say STIs die very soon after leaving the body, so from what i can tell if you used a toy and leave it a day or two before you use it again anything on it would be dead by then

STIs are a parasite, they can not live without a host"

Ah thanks, this is what I was getting at

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

Be careful, I ws told at my gum clinic that HPV can live on toys unless they are sterilised properly, don;t know if that was scare tactics but it worked for me, xxxxx

Thanks for that. Very interesting. This is what I was getting at

I think some can be put in the dishwasher?

Sheffield

STIs are a parasite, they can not live without a host"

but STIs are not the only risk. Thrush is not considered an STI. And plenty of other bugs could possibly cause problems, don't forget about the ones that live in the rectum/anus - some will use toys for more than one orifice.

It's really simple to keep them clean and it seems to make more sense to be careful.

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

"Me neither but this is a wand belonging to someone else so probably couldn't put a condom on it."

Why not? Condoms will stretch without tearing to encompass a human head so a magic wand wouldn't be a problem. Alternatively use a dental dam and a hair band to cinch it in place or cling film.

Just wondered if you could put toys in a baby bottle sterilising unit x

London

"Just wondered if you could put toys in a baby bottle sterilising unit x"

If you're still using the unit for its intended purpose would you really think it appropriate to put sex toys in it?

"Just wondered if you could put toys in a baby bottle sterilising unit x

If you're still using the unit for its intended purpose would you really think it appropriate to put sex toys in it? "

Why would I be using it my youngest is 10 lol and it was an old one tucked away in the cupboard was just asking x

London

If you're still using the unit for its intended purpose would you really think it appropriate to put sex toys in it?

Why would I be using it my youngest is 10 lol and it was an old one tucked away in the cupboard was just asking x"

I have no idea of the ages of your children, hence "IF"

most toys these days can be put in the dishwasher... ( as most are waterproofed ) but i always use condoms ( yes even on my wand OP) you just slip it over the end.. they stretch) and i always clean it after with wipes or a toy cleaning spray...

if someone else brings a toy don;t be afraid to say lemme just grab a condom for that... even if it hasn't been used in a while...

"Just wondered if you could put toys in a baby bottle sterilising unit x"

Don't see why not

Sheffield

Don't see why not"

Or use Milton

Don't see why not

Or use Milton"

Thats what I was thinking normally use dettol wipes but I thought the steamer would work wonders x

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

As a home brewer I always have VWP steriliser to hand which kills virtually all microbes on anything you can give a 10 minute soak. Given its intended use it is vital that it deals with yeast as well as bacteria but then I would assume most chlorine donor sterilisers would do this including those for baby bottles.

For items which cant be submersed I wipe them over with VWP solution periodically over at least 10 minutes and then several times with fresh water.

If you really worried have a hunt on the net for HibiScrub its the vivid pink cleaning solution used in healthcare as a pre and post surgery steriliser. Its active ingredient is Chlorhexidine gluconate which is commly present, but more dilute, in sex toy cleaners.

By *atasha_DavidCouple  over a year ago

Slough

"

If you really worried have a hunt on the net for HibiScrub its the vivid pink cleaning solution used in healthcare as a pre and post surgery steriliser. Its active ingredient is Chlorhexidine gluconate which is commly present, but more dilute, in sex toy cleaners."

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

There is no certainty with anything. It's all about the element of risk. If you want certainty of no germs, burn it.

If you are a bit more risky, then radiation is a good sterilizer.

etc etc etc

the reason demestos says kills 99% of germs, is because no one can give that 100%. The second you kill all the germs on a surface a dust particle will land carrying more germs.

If you wipe with anything from soap to antibacterial, then that should kill pretty much everything. If you want to put it in the dishwasher go for it. But it's about understanding risk.

You maybe changing the odds of catching something from 14 million to one, too 14,000,002 to one. So it maybe safer but only in very very small terms.

I'm not saying don't wipe them clean, but just don't over worry about which cleaner or whether you should soak them in 3 different bleaches, or strap them to the roof of your car as you go through the local car wash.

» Add a new message to this topic