FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Work advice

Work advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ogue Gentleman OP   Man 8 weeks ago

Birkenhead

Hi I'm not sure if this was the right area for this.

Just some advice about a colleague going through a tough time in work.

Colleague made an error in work which causes a large duplicate payment to be made to a customer.

She was supposed to raise an internal credit But selected the wrong option due to being stressed and overworked.

She needed the head of departments approval before finalising it. He reviewed it and gave the approval .

As the wrong option was selected it sent the large payment to the customers account. She is now under investigation.

Anyone been in this situation before or offer advice I can give to her?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lik and PaulCouple 8 weeks ago

Flagrante

If the payment was an error talk to the bank and also the customer as they shouldn't keep the money

Birkenhead

"If the payment was an error talk to the bank and also the customer as they shouldn't keep the money"

She's getting the funds back but her boss wants to take action against her

By *ouple4voyeurCouple 8 weeks ago

Birmingham

Best thing she could do is get on touch with ACAS who know all ins and outs of work law and free advice.

By *lik and PaulCouple 8 weeks ago

Flagrante

"If the payment was an error talk to the bank and also the customer as they shouldn't keep the money

She's getting the funds back but her boss wants to take action against her"

Impossible to advise as I don't know the business, terms of employment, disciplinary procedures etc but if it was me it would be a reprimand and raised as a training need as there is no financial loss.

By (user no longer on site) 8 weeks ago

"If the payment was an error talk to the bank and also the customer as they shouldn't keep the money

She's getting the funds back but her boss wants to take action against her"

It was approved by head of department also, so this looks to be a failure of internal controls/process not an attempt to benefit or a deliberate act. If she has been in the company 2 years or more this would be unfair dismissal if she is fired, and would be grounds for a formal grievance if she is reprimanded.

By *os19Man 8 weeks ago

Edmonton

"Hi I'm not sure if this was the right area for this.

Colleague made an error in work which causes a large duplicate payment to be made to a customer.

She was supposed to raise an internal credit But selected the wrong option due to being stressed and overworked.

She needed the head of departments approval before finalising it. He reviewed it and gave the approval .

As the wrong option was selected it sent the large payment to the customers account. She is now under investigation.

"

. I work in the civil service so I don’t know how appropriate this is.We have a union and when something happened to me that I didn’t feel was right I contacted the union to fight my corner.A gross misconduct charge was put down to a minor misconduct charge after I got the union involved.If your friend is with a union now is the time to get them involved.

Birkenhead

[Removed by poster at 16/03/24 12:23:13]

By *icecouple561Couple 8 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

It depends on her record really but based on what you've said here the head of department needs to be questioned as to why they approved it.

If the correct procedures are followed your colleague should wait for natural justice to take its course ie the facts of the situation are investigated and any appropriate action is taken. She should never go to a meeting alone, always take notes and have them verified by the person who attends the meeting with her. If she's in a union her rep should attend if not a trusted colleague.

By *rcoupleCouple 7 weeks ago

Mid Glam

Seem like the bissa proved it and wants a scapegoat.

Is she a member if a union?

By *a LunaWoman 7 weeks ago

Southern Wales

Get in touch with Acas or a union representative.

Make a note of all phone calls, etc. keep written records for proof.

By *o_marmite_for_meMan 7 weeks ago

nearby

As she followed the procedure and had the transaction approved / authorised by the manager, then the manager is atleast equally culpable for the error.

The approval / authorisation step is there for a valid reason.

However as always ensure a Union is notified asap, to provide guidance and rigour to any investigation and inquiry

Good Luck

By *urvyBi-84Man 7 weeks ago

Lancs

"

If it was approved by the Head of Department then they should have picked up on the mistake as that’s the whole point of them approving it. I would point to that in any investigation.

Also make sure they have a witness with them in any investigation meetings who can take their own notes in addition to any formal minutes.

By *orny-DJMan 7 weeks ago

Leigh-on-Sea

If it was approved by the Head of Department then they should have picked up on the mistake as that’s the whole point of them approving it. I would point to that in any investigation.

Also make sure they have a witness with them in any investigation meetings who can take their own notes in addition to any formal minutes. "

Exactly. Looks to me like the department head not wanting to take responsibility and looking for a scapegoat

By *ichaelsmyMan 7 weeks ago

douglas

it was an error that the manager should have checked before authorising the payment to be made.

what checks did the manager do before making the payment.

sounds like ass covering by the manager to me

» Add a new message to this topic