FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Prep - going on and side effects

Prep - going on and side effects

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ensualkink OP   Man 6 weeks ago

hotel or at yours

Morning. I am considering being on Prep as an additional safety measure. I had a condom break with a lovely friend and it was a wake up call. If this wasn’t with a person where there wasn’t mutual trust, it would have been stressful.

3 months and tests later, I am thinking that I will get myself on Prep as a secondary precaution.

Is there any advice on side effects and things to watch out for at the start. My meets are planned and I am planning to go on on-demand dosing.

Feedback from fabees who have direct experience using it is appreciated

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uzie69xTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Maidstone

In your case, the only specific advice is to remember to "event dose" carefully, i.e. "don't forget to take your tablets!"

I'm sure you've also been advised that PrEP can put your kidneys under stress, which is why you get the Kidney Function Tests as ongoing monitoring.

At my last checkup my kidneys were ok but not functioning fully, so I'm now on a kidney friendly version of PrEP but these are daily, so a constant protection but we'll see how my kidneys are coping with these in a couple of months time.

hotel or at yours

"In your case, the only specific advice is to remember to "event dose" carefully, i.e. "don't forget to take your tablets!"

I'm sure you've also been advised that PrEP can put your kidneys under stress, which is why you get the Kidney Function Tests as ongoing monitoring.

At my last checkup my kidneys were ok but not functioning fully, so I'm now on a kidney friendly version of PrEP but these are daily, so a constant protection but we'll see how my kidneys are coping with these in a couple of months time."

Thank you. Good luck with the new version and dosing regime

By *andi_kinkygramTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Edinburgh

It's worth getting advice from your local sexual health centre, there is also lots of information on websites like those run by the Terrence Higgins Trust.

You might find if you are not a receptive partner of sex, some professionals will judge the risk as too low to prescribe on NHS. However you can still obtain it from superdrug etc. You still need the kidney function test and to be aware that for vaginal sex, the on demand regime might not work for females because it takes longer for drugs to build up in those tissues. Also, if you use those instant hiv tests, some those don't work if you are on prep.

As for side effects, those will depend from person to person. They can range from stomach upsets, kidney issues to bone density loss. As others said a condition of access to prep is ongoing testing of kidney function (and other sti tests).

tc

Cx

By *ingerpuppetMan 6 weeks ago

manningtree

My understanding is, prep doesn’t protect you from other very nasty sexually transmitted diseases. If I read on a profile that someone is on prep, I find it like an alarm bell. This person obviously considers themselves and their lifestyle a risk, so I stay well clear.

Maidstone

"My understanding is, prep doesn’t protect you from other very nasty sexually transmitted diseases. If I read on a profile that someone is on prep, I find it like an alarm bell. This person obviously considers themselves and their lifestyle a risk, so I stay well clear."

Each to their own. We are all adults and must take personal responsibilities without judging and pointing fingers...

So following your logic, those who have no idea what PrEP is - so no mention of it and you're more likely to meet them?

Avoid me please, that suits me fine!

By *ot - CoupleCouple 6 weeks ago

Glasgow

"My understanding is, prep doesn’t protect you from other very nasty sexually transmitted diseases. If I read on a profile that someone is on prep, I find it like an alarm bell. This person obviously considers themselves and their lifestyle a risk, so I stay well clear."

If your condom breaks your at a higher risk of HIV than not taking prep. A lot of people use prep as a safety net. Your probably safer with a prep user.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Central

I've used Prep for about 10 years and I've been very fortunate, without side effects.

The clinic and medics will provide you full advice as well as continuous monitoring. Side effects to medication is highly unique, though Prep is generally well tolerated and I don't have any friends who have had issues. It certainly makes sex safer and can give you greater confidence, etc.

By *andDLiverpoolCouple 6 weeks ago

Liverpool

I’ve used it (Mrs) for 6 months without side effects.

After a consim split and another slid off, my nerves couldn’t take it so I started. No side effects luckily

By *rozac_fairyCouple 6 weeks ago

Tamworth

You find it weird that someone is doing everything they can to avoid HIV? Weird take but OK...

Do you don't think women who double up on contraceptives are also an "alarm bell" because they're also considering themselves and their lifestyle as high risk?

Liverpool

"My understanding is, prep doesn’t protect you from other very nasty sexually transmitted diseases. If I read on a profile that someone is on prep, I find it like an alarm bell. This person obviously considers themselves and their lifestyle a risk, so I stay well clear.

You find it weird that someone is doing everything they can to avoid HIV? Weird take but OK...

Do you don't think women who double up on contraceptives are also an "alarm bell" because they're also considering themselves and their lifestyle as high risk? "

Agree

It’s an extra line of defence

By *ick.luvittMan 6 weeks ago

m

Been on it 2 years, no side effects..

And the thought prep users are to be avoided makes me laugh.. prep users are probably the most responsible as they have to test every 12 weeks to get it, not like lots on this site don’t even test at all..

And then there’s the ones that say only play safe then message asking for BB because you have prep and they think you will

By *ick.luvittMan 6 weeks ago

m

Oh and as for safe sex only… for the ill informed you do know you can get lots of nasties by oral but I bet you don’t use condoms for that .

By *rozac_fairyCouple 6 weeks ago

Tamworth

"My understanding is, prep doesn’t protect you from other very nasty sexually transmitted diseases. If I read on a profile that someone is on prep, I find it like an alarm bell. This person obviously considers themselves and their lifestyle a risk, so I stay well clear.

Do you don't think women who double up on contraceptives are also an "alarm bell" because they're also considering themselves and their lifestyle as high risk?

Agree

It’s an extra line of defence "

Exactly this! I shows someone is taking responsibility of their own body and doing as much as they can.

That's big fat green flags to me!

Liverpool

Agree

It’s an extra line of defence

Exactly this! I shows someone is taking responsibility of their own body and doing as much as they can.

That's big fat green flags to me!"

Couldn’t agree more

By *inkForLifeCouple 6 weeks ago

North Shields

You know that someone on Prep is getting regular tests. You know they value their sexual health, you can be almost 100% sure they don't have HIV.

By your logic, you'd not sleep at someone's house who has a smoke alarm, or get in a car with someone who wears a seat belt.

Maidstone

Great discussion... So OP, I hope this will give you more food for thought re going on PrEP.

As a former Sexual Health Outreach Worker, I cannot emphasise a healthy attitude towards using condoms. Make them playful, fun and engaging.

That said, PrEP has been a game-changer, and that is not exaggerating. Public Health professionals talk about HIV being eradicated completely if PrEP and PEP* became easily available worldwide.

*Post Exposure Prophylaxis, for people with HIV but the virus is U=U, Undetectable therefore Untransmissable.

Maidstone

... cannot emphasise more the importance of using condoms...

By *londebiguyMan 6 weeks ago

Southport

How ridiculous your comment is.

PrEP is considered more effective for HIV protection by most healthcare professionals.

Condoms can tear.

If you are on PrEP from a clinic then you are fully tested every 12 weeks.

Do you or do you check partners are tested so regularly?

Oral sex can transmitted many of the STI's and even close body contact and kissing is risky for some infections.

Do you avoid all these or use protection ?

Please do some research before posting this nonsense.

hotel or at yours

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the positive stories. It is great to see.

I have an appointment to speak to a doctor to get specific risks for me

As an aside, I am fascinated by every thread on this topic getting lead on to a weird sidetrack by one of two folks. Talking about sexual health and doing what suits the Individual situation is the right thing to do, if only judgement can be set aside

By *londebiguyMan 6 weeks ago

Southport

"Thanks for sharing your experiences and the positive stories. It is great to see.

I have an appointment to speak to a doctor to get specific risks for me

As an aside, I am fascinated by every thread on this topic getting lead on to a weird sidetrack by one of two folks. Talking about sexual health and doing what suits the Individual situation is the right thing to do, if only judgement can be set aside "

Precisely.

Get the advice. Ask your own questions.

They will give you the honest facts.

Then make up your mind with the information.

Do what is right for you.

By *ouise 555Woman 6 weeks ago

dorchester

Brilliant thread ill be asking about prep when I'm tested next month x any additional info welcome x

Liverpool

"Brilliant thread ill be asking about prep when I'm tested next month x any additional info welcome x"

Take it at night so that you sleep through any initial mild side effects

By *ensualkink OP   Man 5 weeks ago

hotel or at yours

Just to provide my experience.

Medical staff were pretty thorough and provided 3 months stock in the follow-up. Recommended on-demand and given my low risk, recommended that I come back to them when I am particularly active or if the meds run out.

Got the meds and plan to use it as a protective mechanism complementary to condoms.

They also took a blood sample for kidney function, but I was told that I can use if needed right away.

Very simple process if anyone wants to get this from NHS. tests every three months is a guidance and they appreciate that not everyone is always active sexually.

By *ust-looking-plymMan 3 weeks ago

Plymouth

Similar experience. I’ve gone on prep as an extra layer of protection, it also means I get tested regularly.

I’m doing event based, on demand dose method because my meets are all planned.

Staff were amazing and gave great advice.

By *melia DominaTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"Just to provide my experience.

Medical staff were pretty thorough and provided 3 months stock in the follow-up. Recommended on-demand and given my low risk, recommended that I come back to them when I am particularly active or if the meds run out.

Got the meds and plan to use it as a protective mechanism complementary to condoms.

They also took a blood sample for kidney function, but I was told that I can use if needed right away.

Very simple process if anyone wants to get this from NHS. tests every three months is a guidance and they appreciate that not everyone is always active sexually.

"

Similar experience to the above. Nothing but praise for the sexual health team in Edinburgh.

By *ensualkink OP   Man 3 weeks ago

hotel or at yours

Thanks for the new experiences.

When NHS works, it is just awesome

By *londebiguyMan 3 weeks ago

Southport

"Thanks for the new experiences.

When NHS works, it is just awesome "

In my experience, the sexual health professionals have all been excellent .

That sector of the NHS really does work great.

By *uddle4uMan 3 weeks ago

Purbeck

Just starting on my prep journey, I was given a full screening for all Sti's and was informed of pro's and con's before being accepted for Prep and advised condom use are all part of keeping you safe.

The info I was given before and at the consultation at the Sexual Health 24 clinic was a booklet called UK guide to PrEP 10th edition Feb24.

Link below

https://www.prepwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/PrEP-guide-UK-Feb-2024-FIN.pdf

By *ust-looking-plymMan 3 weeks ago

Plymouth

There’s a lot on prep who consider it an extra layer of protection. To get prep you have to get tested regularly otherwise it’s not free - so I kinda see it that the person is more cautious rather than a risk - considering you absolutely will NOT get HIV from a prep user…

Only condoms can protect you from the other STIs, but all treatable, - I’ve just got prep too, as extra protection for me. I get tested every 12 weeks as do other prep users

» Add a new message to this topic