FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Question for the GUM experts

Question for the GUM experts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Whilst chatting about STIs, as one does, one person said that they are only transmitted when ejaculation takes place.

We find that a bit hard to believe. Surely normal vaginal moisture would act as a reservoire of infection as well?

And whilst we're at it, what is the incidence of STIs in the population?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Poor education about STIs is rife, even on here. The best people to talk to are the ones at your GUM clinic, but I have been told that its a lot easier for women to catch STIs from men than vice versa, and that they are transmitted by fluid exchange. So you don't actually have to be in there to catch one!

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Poor education about STIs is rife, even on here. The best people to talk to are the ones at your GUM clinic, but I have been told that its a lot easier for women to catch STIs from men than vice versa, and that they are transmitted by fluid exchange. So you don't actually have to be in there to catch one!"

Hmm, must think twice about buying people a drink in future.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Surely the GUM experts would be your local clinic not people on the forum? That is the only place you will get completely accurate information.

Or, whilst obviously having access to the internet, there are a plethora of informative sexual health website to consider finding such information in

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Just as it is possible to get pregnant from precum transmission of STIs is possible without ejaculation.

Chlamydia is rife amongst certain groups as they don't realize how transmissible it is.

actually some aren't transmitted via fluid, but rather by the infected skin, syphillis, herpes, and genital warts among them. yes ejaculate fluid and vaginal fluid both transmit certain stis but they can also be transmitted via anal and oral. if you have questions, definitely speak to a sexual health clinic who can inform you of the transmission rroutes and best ways to protect yourself

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 10/02/14 19:47:48]

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis can be carried in the throat so - no, it's not just about ejaculate

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

the only safe sex is no sex!!

Maybe it would be responsible to have a sexual health forum section.

Woman who have an IUD fitted are at a higher risk of catching an infection than those without if they are having sex with multiple partners.

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"Whilst chatting about STIs, as one does, one person said that they are only transmitted when ejaculation takes place.

We find that a bit hard to believe. Surely normal vaginal moisture would act as a reservoire of infection as well?

And whilst we're at it, what is the incidence of STIs in the population?"

No any sexual contact with an infected person will /could lead to you catching something before intercourse, its not worth taking chances & if you do make sure its with some one you know who as been tested prior to meeting you.

By *lay4RealCouple  over a year ago

London

"the only safe sex is no sex!!"

that is very true. but how many people in here are ready for that?

I guess the question then is what is the 2nd only safe sex

Glad the OP raised this one. Just to explain an experience we had recently.

Sadly the roulette wheel caught up with us and we got Chlamydia. This mild STI can be passed on through oral or any warm bodily fluid, even if you use rubbers and don't clean up properly between insertions if you'll forgive the graphic detail. We didn't panic. Popped along to the GUM clinic and they were able to sort it out with a big dose of Anti Biotics.

Now I know the news is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit but the GUM nurse said it would be helpful if we let anyone we've met know in the last 2 months we've been in contact with it.

I took her advice as I felt it would be the right thing to do and followed her advice. One party was fine about it and said they would get checked and thanked us for the heads up. Another party didn't reply so no dramas there. The least likely one to have given it to us went ape shit on us. Accused us of deliberately infecting them and even got their friends to start sending us malicious emails. So my point is, which one would you be if someone let you know. Have a good think. I think I know what the answer is but will leave it with you to decide so that you are prepared for the eventuality as it is likely to happen to anyone if they are not in a monogomous relationship.

An excellent post.

"Glad the OP raised this one. Just to explain an experience we had recently.

Sadly the roulette wheel caught up with us and we got Chlamydia. This mild STI can be passed on through oral or any warm bodily fluid, even if you use rubbers and don't clean up properly between insertions if you'll forgive the graphic detail. We didn't panic. Popped along to the GUM clinic and they were able to sort it out with a big dose of Anti Biotics.

Now I know the news is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit but the GUM nurse said it would be helpful if we let anyone we've met know in the last 2 months we've been in contact with it.

I took her advice as I felt it would be the right thing to do and followed her advice. One party was fine about it and said they would get checked and thanked us for the heads up. Another party didn't reply so no dramas there. The least likely one to have given it to us went ape shit on us. Accused us of deliberately infecting them and even got their friends to start sending us malicious emails. So my point is, which one would you be if someone let you know. Have a good think. I think I know what the answer is but will leave it with you to decide so that you are prepared for the eventuality as it is likely to happen to anyone if they are not in a monogomous relationship."

some people

We get checked every 3 months, no matter how active/inactive we've been.

I cant understand how people can be so naive you play the game you take risks.

Regular check ups and playing safer (with condoms) are simple common sense but there is no point getting angry and defensive about it

Catch it.... kill it and move on

We applaud your honesty

I took her advice as I felt it would be the right thing to do and followed her advice. One party was fine about it and said they would get checked and thanked us for the heads up. Another party didn't reply so no dramas there. The least likely one to have given it to us went ape shit on us. Accused us of deliberately infecting them and even got their friends to start sending us malicious emails. So my point is, which one would you be if someone let you know. Have a good think. I think I know what the answer is but will leave it with you to decide so that you are prepared for the eventuality as it is likely to happen to anyone if they are not in a monogomous relationship."

I'd appreciate the heads up very much. I get checked every 3 months anyway but would indeed prefer to know so I can get an early test

I took her advice as I felt it would be the right thing to do and followed her advice. One party was fine about it and said they would get checked and thanked us for the heads up. Another party didn't reply so no dramas there. The least likely one to have given it to us went ape shit on us. Accused us of deliberately infecting them and even got their friends to start sending us malicious emails. So my point is, which one would you be if someone let you know. Have a good think. I think I know what the answer is but will leave it with you to decide so that you are prepared for the eventuality as it is likely to happen to anyone if they are not in a monogomous relationship.

I'd appreciate the heads up very much. I get checked every 3 months anyway but would indeed prefer to know so I can get an early test"

By *bossMan  over a year ago

LONDON

I get checked very regularly, the receptionist at my local GU clinic knows me by first name

You can catch STIs from a massive wide range of places. Lots of infections that are transmitted sexually are transmitted via spit, blood, simple body contact. Anyone who works in the health service could catch a range of things that could then be transmitted through sexual contact. You can also catch hepatitis from simply sharing a drink with another person

I will echo what other have already said, the only way one can be sure they are safe (thought really you can only be sure you were safe a while before the test was done, as several infections take a while to show up on tests) is to be tested.

By *otTheReal01Man  over a year ago

London

Yes, annoyingly even with testing you're always going to be a few months behind being sure you're 100% clear for a few infections.

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"Yes, annoyingly even with testing you're always going to be a few months behind being sure you're 100% clear for a few infections."

This is why for work I get tested every 28 days, we (me & Kim) only work BB with people who get tested every 28 days & have 3 consecutive certs / letters to say this.

HIV & HEP C can take up to 3 months to incubate hence the 3 certs, this is becoming standard in the industry now.

The test don't make you bullet proof but it works good as a data base in case any nasty illnesses pop up in your area etc so regular testing is recomended.

You should tell them every time so you were right to say. If you are told a sexual contact has a sti you should thank them and go to the gum clinic. Wild accusations are stupid and infantile.

» Add a new message to this topic