FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Body shape - help needed.

Body shape - help needed.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi all

Ill try to make this as short as possible.

I quit smoking five years ago and have gained an extra stone in weight each year. Not only that but my fitness levels are appalling. If I walk to the end of the road im knackered and calves start to ache. I now look like im nine months pregnant with all the extra weight going to my tummy, bum and thighs. (bad overhang on belly too).

I realise im probably addicted to sugar now too as I crave sweet things. Thankfully as yet I haven't got diabetes.

I need to shift this weight and in the areas I have described. I also over eat and comfort eat, its a vicious circle.

Its taken alot for me to type this.

Facing up to what ive done to my body is hard but im determined to do something about it. Any tips, advice all welcome please.

How do I start to shift it, get fit etc. Funds are limited.

I realise the chances of me getting a meet now are even slimmer (excuse pun) after this thread

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am on slimming world . And it's amazing

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I don't mean any offence but to me from what you have typed is walking and swimming to start with and obviously watch your food intake and take it from there, but I wish you well

Go to your GP and ask for help. There are a few "slimming" aids available on prescription and some surgeries offer a subsidised exercise programme.

It's not easy getting started, I know, but one small step really will give you the motivation to keep going.

Good luck and don't give up

"I am on slimming world . And it's amazing "

How are you finding it?

In the last 3 years I have managed to loose 6 stones ... didn't go on a diet but changed my eating habits, smaller portions, increased fruit and veg, no eating between meals but always have one wee treat a day that I know I can have. Also increased exercise (lots of sex helped lol) walking and swimming mostly, it's taken time but I feel and look so much better. I have found this way best as so many people I know who have been on diets have slowly put weight back on when the stopped the diet.

I wish you the best of luck and well done for speaking out that took courage!! xxx

"I don't mean any offence but to me from what you have typed is walking and swimming to start with and obviously watch your food intake and take it from there, but I wish you well "

No offence taken. I realise ive brought it on myself. Is walking and or swimming good for the areas ive highlighted?

"Go to your GP and ask for help. There are a few "slimming" aids available on prescription and some surgeries offer a subsidised exercise programme.

It's not easy getting started, I know, but one small step really will give you the motivation to keep going.

Good idea about seeing my gp. Thank you.

Good luck and don't give up "

Walk briskly keeps your heart rate low enough to burn fat instead of sugar

Obviously the longer the walk the more you'll burn & try eat as healthy as possible but that's easier said than done am terrible for chocolate bars lol

Maybe try a sauna suit I find them great I wear one while training to cut weight

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Change your diet and start walking. It's not just diabetes you're gonna have to worry about. Start right now. Chuck te biccies and crisps and choccy and crap food. Spend the evening going on mens health magazine online and sort yourself a diet

"In the last 3 years I have managed to loose 6 stones ... didn't go on a diet but changed my eating habits, smaller portions, increased fruit and veg, no eating between meals but always have one wee treat a day that I know I can have. Also increased exercise (lots of sex helped lol) walking and swimming mostly, it's taken time but I feel and look so much better. I have found this way best as so many people I know who have been on diets have slowly put weight back on when the stopped the diet.

I wish you the best of luck and well done for speaking out that took courage!! xxx"

Wow six stone! Congratulations! Any idea what ican replace the sugar stuff with or just go cold turkey and cut out altogether?

"Walk briskly keeps your heart rate low enough to burn fat instead of sugar

Obviously the longer the walk the more you'll burn & try eat as healthy as possible but that's easier said than done am terrible for chocolate bars lol

Maybe try a sauna suit I find them great I wear one while training to cut weight

"

Never heard of a sauna suit? Expensive?

"Change your diet and start walking. It's not just diabetes you're gonna have to worry about. Start right now. Chuck te biccies and crisps and choccy and crap food. Spend the evening going on mens health magazine online and sort yourself a diet "

Thank you. Yes im aware of probably heading for a heart attack at this rate

"Wow six stone! Congratulations! Any idea what ican replace the sugar stuff with or just go cold turkey and cut out altogether? "

Thank you!! I think you have to be in the right place in your life to do it and you sound as if you are.

I allow myself one sweet treat a day, a small one though, today it was a dark chocolate mousse after my dinner. I can go without sugary stuff knowing I can have that one treat!!

First step is GP, get an MOT, advice on exercise and diet from them.

Walking is a great way to lose weight. Have a look for local walking groups to make it more of a social experience.

Good luck

Go to your GP first and tell him/her you want to loose weight. They should give you some help. Cut out as much junk foods as you can and eat a healthy balanced diet.

I have a sweet tooth too and find that eating a lot more fruit helps, strawberries, bananas, nectaries are all a good substitute. I also make up some sugar free jelly and keep it in the fridge for when I have a craving.

Walk or swim every day and you'll soon build up the distance and start to enjoy it too.

Good luck

"I am on slimming world . And it's amazing

How are you finding it? "

Fab

It's working brill

And I walk a lot as well

Hi I would like to say nothing is impossible as you can achieve the fitness levels you want. The good thing is you have accepted the fact you are overweight and want to deal with it. The next step is to start some gradual walking every day.someone did actually mention brisk walking which can be very good.also it's all in your head that you feel pain.you can push through and make it happen for you. Remember you are the star player in your life and only you can look after you. I do believe you are strong to face this and you can do it. Let me know if you need help with anything. I got some fitness dvds I can send to you or you can go on YouTube and do them everyday. Stay focused and concentrate on the bigger picture ie how you want to look tomorrow. You might feel low at times but don't give up.replace chocolate and sugar products with sweet potatoes and carrots or grapes. Drink water or squash and avoid pop. I am here if you need to talk xx

"Walk briskly keeps your heart rate low enough to burn fat instead of sugar

Never heard of a sauna suit? Expensive?"

About £13 in argos but they look horrible although you could go to a mma shop & buy a nicer looking one but will cost you more

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Hi walking and swimming will hit the areas you mentioned, eat fruit instead of other things. Do things like touching your toes and sit ups morning and night but don,t do too many to start with. Got more sudgestions if you want them PM me good luck and take care

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

A workout with black sugar might lose a few ounces

I can vouch for slimming world, I lost 3 stone doing it last year - stopped for a while but haven't gone back to the continuous shit eating, got back on it a few weeks ago and have lost another half a stone.

My best friend has lost 12 stone doing it in 4 years, with exercise too.

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I've gone from a size 20 to a 14 in a year (about 4 1/2 stone gone) by simply keeping a food and exercise diary to try and keep my calorie intake to a set limit each day and I never, ever cheat in it. I use an app for it. Plus I now walk to work and back, which is 2 miles each way. I've got quicker apparently; I use the time to listen to my iPod and don't get a whole album done in a day now.

Cut out bread, pastries, pop and dairy to start with, then small regular meals, never skip breakfast.

No carbs after 8pm and lots of water.

It's all about calories in versus calories out, so make sure your using more than your taking on board.

You say your on a tight budget, try and use the money you save from junk food (you'll be surprised by how much) to join a decent gym.

You've already recognised you have a problem, that's great, so many overweight people go into denial until it's too late.

Don't forget that nothing worth having comes easy.

Good luck!

XXXX

I've recently lost 2 stone eating belvita breakfast biscuits for break and lunch and a reasonable size dinner. But no snacks. Worth a try

Ella x

Your gp can prescribe slimming world ! Im on it too. 14weeks and 2stone down. Its so easy. Not a diet as much as a change of habit. You have made the first very hard step in admitting what's happened.. publicly. I applaud you. Now, grab yourself a can of "frylight" and get to sw dont be scared. Its friendly and easy to do. Xx

By *ovemenotWoman  over a year ago

yeovil

I freeze the fun size mars bars . They take ages to eat and help if you need a little treat

By *ovemenotWoman  over a year ago

yeovil

Also ring your local dog rescues Center and volunteer as a walker . I find it makes walking a bit more fun

yes if you come off items slowly you,ll

Find that you won,t miss them to much

I came off sugar to sugar sweetener and

Shortly i,ll be going on to sweeteners

Like canderel never thought i would but

don,t miss sugar to much now days its

surpriseing thou how many people still

Indulge in these things if they can get away with it I find especially when being

a guest and seeing first hand also

comeing off salt will help prevent

blood presure all these things I

Never thought would be so easy to

Change from I use black pepper

Instead of salt now, its taken me a

couple of years to get this far

booze carries sugar I like a drink

but I only drink minimal amounts

but if you can cut out some then

gradually more especially dairy

products not easy with ice cream

but only in small amounts, along with crisps etc like mc coys i love them

but I know cutting down helps

along with bread i still like brown

seeded bread anyway stick to what

you have in mind and use a bit of will power we all have to use that.

By *ngel HeartWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

You have to go to your GP before undertaking any form of exercising. He/she can possibly give you referral to local gym which should be low cost or free. They can also help you by suggesting a healthy sensible eating/ lifestyle change. Good luck

Good morning everyone

Thank you all for your advice. Ive taken on board all your comments. Some very good advice given. I will make a doctors appointment tomorrow to see my gp to see if they can help.

I will start the walking from today. Little steps and all that.

I might use this thread as a work in progress diary if nobody has any objections? It might spur me on if I can diarise my weight loss say once a week.

And for you who have lost weight, regardless of how much, well done (i hope that doesnt sound patronising).

I can vouch for this an ive currently lost 8st on it after fi.ing myselg in a very similar situation to you the lifestyle change it brings (as its not a diet you can eat loads just of the right things) means you dont have to sacrifice the things you like and it.works with basic exercise such as gentle walking and swimming which is how id advise you start. If your worried about the financial side go to your GP and ask for a slimming world on referral (SWOR) voucher you get afree 12wk countdown which can be renewed by visiting your GP if you prove its working for you

Walking doesn't cost any money, persevere with that even if its only down to the end of the road and back, if you eat healthily too, you will soon be able to walk much further. Take each day at a time and don't rush as you know its going to take time.

Congratulations on quitting smoking

"Good morning everyone

Thank you all for your advice. Ive taken on board all your comments. Some very good advice given. I will make a doctors appointment tomorrow to see my gp to see if they can help.

I will start the walking from today. Little steps and all that.

I might use this thread as a work in progress diary if nobody has any objections? It might spur me on if I can diarise my weight loss say once a week. "

No you carry on and post away

I joined slimming world and have so far lost 11.5 pounds in three weeks. I still need to up my exercise but am slowly working on that. Good luck xx

I can vouch for this an ive currently lost 8st on it after fi.ing myselg in a very similar situation to you the lifestyle change it brings (as its not a diet you can eat loads just of the right things) means you dont have to sacrifice the things you like and it.works with basic exercise such as gentle walking and swimming which is how id advise you start. If your worried about the financial side go to your GP and ask for a slimming world on referral (SWOR) voucher you get afree 12wk countdown which can be renewed by visiting your GP if you prove its working for you "

That's amazing to lose that amount. I think slimming world is the way to go and if I can save a few pennies at the same time its worth trying to get referred

"Walking doesn't cost any money, persevere with that even if its only down to the end of the road and back, if you eat healthily too, you will soon be able to walk much further. Take each day at a time and don't rush as you know its going to take time.

Congratulations on quitting smoking "

Thank you. I found quitting smoking easy compared to this. I think ive just swapped one addiction for another

OP also remember you did amazingly to give up smoking, it's such a hard thing to do. If you did that, you can also tackle this. I would also say slimming world has such a good diet plan and guide to healthy eating. Good luck.

Eat clean, drink plenty of water 2-3 litres a day ( gotta be honest, I struggle with that! Sucker for a coffee or 3) and exercise for at least 2 and a half hrs a week.....oh and squats! Good luck Girlie

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

you can also try to change your food habbits just remember any diet isnt worth it unless you can have a little treat from time to time and stops you binging

if you fancy chips have a small portion the rest in a salad

have a jacket potatoe with a filling treat with salad

becareful of eating red meat eat fish instead without the batter

the last thing i will say is take it off at your own rate ive seen too many do it too quickly its when they come off there dieting they tend to binge a little

" No you carry on and post away "

I will thanks

And can I just say im new to this site and the forums and youve all been incredibly nice to me on here and the private messages ive also received supporting and encouraging me. It means alot x

By *omMLMan  over a year ago

The Centre of the Universe

Great advice from everyone. See your GP, start slowly with the exercise and changes in foods and portion sizes. It's lifestyle changes that will help you keep the weight off once you lose it.

If you have a smartphone their are loads of apps you can download that will help keep you motivated. Pedometers, diet diaries and the like.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing of your progress.

[Removed by poster at 13/07/14 09:57:59]

You have had great advice above....

Have a google for the video "sugar the bitter truth"

Probably worth you tubing "scooby's workshop" too and looking at some of his videos (especially for advice on things that don't work and are just fads ...I.e sauna suits as seen above)

Start reading food labels too... You will be surprised at the amount of crap food touted as healthy!,... For example most stuff labeled as "low fat" is very high sugar.

Its all about calorie deficit. If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight . simple

The best way to do this is with a combination of food and excersise. However, in general , excersise burns relatively few calories compared with food (unless you run marathons etc). So for most people its about watching food/calorie intake.

Refined sugar is the killer here I suspect.... Get rid of it as soon as possible....its not an addictive substance (medically)...it won't take long to get used to being without it

Good luck

All the above advise is good, the only thing I will add is don't do it alone.

Go down to your local community centre or school and see what clubs are on.

We joined a Jui Jitsu club a year ago and have made good friends with the people there,now if we don't go for whatever reason, we feel that we have missed out socially as well as physically.

You end up looking forward to going rather than looking for an excuse not to go.

We could be forming a self help group here. lol.

Reducing calories is the big thing as most of us neither have the time or the inclination to spend an inordinate amount of hours in a week exercising. Unless of course it's sexercising.

Sugar as others have said will keep that weight in. So don't switch to diet drinks and pick exercise and foods you like as your more likely to stick with it.

I lost 2 stone, I never went on a diet as such though. My issue is not eating properly, I skip meals etc so for me I didn't need a diet I needed to change my eating habits. are you eating regularly?

I replaced some foods with others, cut down on bread and had smaller portions which I bulked out with veg. So ate my normal diet just cut portions, replaced items and ate 3 meals a day.

I allowed myself a sweet treat daily and at weekends I relaxed, had a meal out or take away. If you deny yourself everything you like you're more likely to binge and fall off the wagon.

Also, I dont eat much fried stuff but change to grill or oven instead.

I've always been fairly fit and active with riding etc but I started doing a bit more. Eg getting off the bus a stop earlier x

Another interesting thing to do at home is to weigh out 5g of refined sugar

You will find that its about a heaped table spoon...I.e quite a lot and probably not so something you would willingly eat?

Now look at a low fat youghurt....it will have the best part of 15 to 20g in it...so 4 heaped table spoons in that little pot!

Ready meals are also pumped full of sugar

Why? Because the preservatives they use taste bitter n so they pump in the sugar to neutralise the taste....

Health bars there's another laugh

Juices in cartons are very bad too because all the fibre has been taken out leaving sugar water.....if you want orange juice eat an orange.

Don't ever drink fizzy pop....the manufacturers call it coloured sugar water in the trade.

Educate yourselves peeps ... These food companies are synical bastards pumping you full of shit.

As a (very) general rule if its had processing its shit. If its natural, its not

Bridges_signed is right about sugar and littlemissgemini about bulking up meals with veg.

Whilst you should eat fruit don't eat too much as even too much natural sugar can still be bad for you. If you were having your 5 a day make it 3 veg and 2 fruit if possible.

Start a diary writing down everything you eat and drink daily , read the info on the packaging of the product consumed write down fat and cals you can then add up your cal daily -weekly - monthly intake , for someone carrying a lot of weight be very careful with strenuous excercise !! A personal trainer or doctor needs to measure heart rate, blood pressure and body fat only if you follow the main rules can you begin to control the weight , a new start new diet is needed completly , the excercise is a gradual one distances and type of excercise will depend on heart rate and blood pressure , go to a decent gym , the best you can afford and get advice from a pt , ignore it all and you will only continue in a downwards spiral .

"Bridges_signed is right about sugar and littlemissgemini about bulking up meals with veg.

Whilst you should eat fruit don't eat too much as even too much natural sugar can still be bad for you. If you were having your 5 a day make it 3 veg and 2 fruit if possible."

Great point re too much fruit. I'm probably close to doing that if I'm being honest

OK so I'm a bit overweight...a few kg

So I downloaded an app that calorie counts plus records excersise.

I have set my goal to lose 1kg per week and for the last few weeks I was doing exactly that and very easy it is too....

Just come back from 2 weeks in the USA and have put back 1.5kg due to booze n crap food

Point is, so what, I'm back on it now and feel better for it. I'm not on a diet its a lifestyle choice...IMHO diets are bollox and doomed to failure longterm.

So OP it can be done. You clearly have the 'go for it' attitude and you will do it

Now 'woman the fuck up and start now'

Xxxxx

Good Luck with it and keep us posted

Me too!

"Bridges_signed is right about sugar and littlemissgemini about bulking up meals with veg.

Whilst you should eat fruit don't eat too much as even too much natural sugar can still be bad for you. If you were having your 5 a day make it 3 veg and 2 fruit if possible.

Great point re too much fruit. I'm probably close to doing that if I'm being honest

I have set my goal to lose 1kg per week and for the last few weeks I was doing exactly that and very easy it is too....

Just come back from 2 weeks in the USA and have put back 1.5kg due to booze n crap food

Point is, so what, I'm back on it now and feel better for it. I'm not on a diet its a lifestyle choice...IMHO diets are bollox and doomed to failure longterm.

So OP it can be done. You clearly have the 'go for it' attitude and you will do it

Xxxxx"

I changed my diet a few years ago and was surprised when the doc told me I was per diabetic. I was eating 5 portions of fruit every day and that was doing it. So now a little fruit and loads of veg.

Hey don't feel guilty about putting weight on when in holiday. We all gotta relax at times

Good idea about doing it with someone. Im new to the area so dont have any friends here yet. If im honest thats probably half the problem. I feel quite isolated so when I get home from work I comfort eat. I don't want this to turn into a woe is me thread though.

I need to have a pma and just get on with it

I would welcome any one who is struggling with their weight issues to post on here too. We can support each other and post any tips or advice

"I lost 2 stone, I never went on a diet as such though. My issue is not eating properly, I skip meals etc so for me I didn't need a diet I needed to change my eating habits. are you eating regularly?

I replaced some foods with others, cut down on bread and had smaller portions which I bulked out with veg. So ate my normal diet just cut portions, replaced items and ate 3 meals a day.

I allowed myself a sweet treat daily and at weekends I relaxed, had a meal out or take away. If you deny yourself everything you like you're more likely to binge and fall off the wagon.

Also, I dont eat much fried stuff but change to grill or oven instead.

I've always been fairly fit and active with riding etc but I started doing a bit more. Eg getting off the bus a stop earlier x"

This is my problem, lack of eating. Ridiculously stupid of me. It's a wonder I'm not a size 8! But the body is a complex thing and we should treat it right.....she says....

"

This is my problem, lack of eating. Ridiculously stupid of me. It's a wonder I'm not a size 8! But the body is a complex thing and we should treat it right.....she says.... "

Oh if only I had your problem

Well the healthier eating has started and ive lost 3lbs. Ive cut out all sugary treats but my god im a bear with a sore head. Totally craving it!

Ive got a doctors appointment at the end of the month to discuss my options.

By *oulou45Woman  over a year ago

Bucks

"I don't mean any offence but to me from what you have typed is walking and swimming to start with and obviously watch your food intake and take it from there, but I wish you well

No offence taken. I realise ive brought it on myself. Is walking and or swimming good for the areas ive highlighted? "

They say swimming is the best exercise . I know how you feel as im overweight as well. I work long shifts and just grab the wrong food over the last month ive been quite poorly due to a change in painkillers lol. Ive lost 5kg as was unable to eat. Am just starting to get back to normal but have started eating healthier now.Good luck .x

what is missing in the replies to you is the fact that regardless of your weight ,size or body shape , you will find meets on here with people that arent bothered what size you are .lots of fabbers actually love sex with people of all shapes and sizes and thank god they do. have fun while you lose the weight and tone up .be confident and love yourself .no ones perfect .good luck with the weight loss .

"Walking doesn't cost any money, persevere with that even if its only down to the end of the road and back, if you eat healthily too, you will soon be able to walk much further. Take each day at a time and don't rush as you know its going to take time.

Congratulations on quitting smoking

Thank you. I found quitting smoking easy compared to this. I think ive just swapped one addiction for another

"

I wish I could as find it hard to quit

Xxxxx"

Bananas are good for women as they contain potassium and good for energy but are fattening so not too many

"Hi all

I quit smoking five years ago and have gained an extra stone in weight each year. Not only that but my fitness levels are appalling. If I walk to the end of the road im knackered and calves start to ache. I now look like im nine months pregnant with all the extra weight going to my tummy, bum and thighs. (bad overhang on belly too).

I realise im probably addicted to sugar now too as I crave sweet things. Thankfully as yet I haven't got diabetes.

I need to shift this weight and in the areas I have described. I also over eat and comfort eat, its a vicious circle.

Facing up to what ive done to my body is hard but im determined to do something about it. Any tips, advice all welcome please.

I realise the chances of me getting a meet now are even slimmer (excuse pun) after this thread "

I joined slimming world and bought a tread mill in the new year

when I first started on the tread mill I used to only do a fastish walk for 15 mins a day, as I lost weight and got fitter I upped the time and started jogging/walking, I now do a hour every day

Since joining ive lost just over 7 stone and its has not been easy, I joined because of my fitness and the pain I was getting in my knees etc

you have to start off small and work you way up, but if you really want to do it you will

when I joined I weight 18 stone, I went home and cried, I just remember sitting there and thinking I have 8 stone to loose how the hell am I ever going to do that, disheartened wasn't the word, but I stuck to it and I have less than a stone to go now

it hurts when you look at yourself and your not happy but its that hurt that will drive you to do it, and you can do it

join a club the support and knowing someone else is going to weight you ever week really helps you stick to it, if I have a bad day and put a few pound on knowing I have to go get weighed thursday makes me pull it back for the rest of the week, if I didn't have that I think I would have blown it several times by now

good luck x

Oats are good. They keep you full for ages. Just watch how much sugar you put on them. Also try and feel actual hunger and get used to it. Walk fast instead of taking the car.

Do squats if you can. There are good squats apps out there. They only take five mins a day. Good luck. X

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I go to weightwatchers but appreciate it's not for everyone. Also costs around £20 a month.

Stuff u can do yourself:

Walking, swimming, sexercise (latter is most fun of course)

Ensure you drink 6-8 1/2 pint tumblers of non caffeine drinks (caffeine is dehydrating and messes with blood sugar)

Eat your five a day, fills u up and balances blood sugar. Fruits I've found good for sweet cravings are bananas, grapes and kiwi fruit but all fruit sweet

Have 3 portions of dairy daily. Yep balances blood sugar too, fills you up and helps convert carbs into usable energy.

Hth

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Get on Myfitnesspal rather than logging your intake with pen and paper.

The problem with slimming world etc is that they teach you how to lose weight, but not how to maintain and this is how they get repeat custom: Customer joins, loses weight, gets to their goal weight, stops going, cannot maintain so puts weight back on......rejoins and so on.

"Get on Myfitnesspal rather than logging your intake with pen and paper.

The problem with slimming world etc is that they teach you how to lose weight, but not how to maintain and this is how they get repeat custom: Customer joins, loses weight, gets to their goal weight, stops going, cannot maintain so puts weight back on......rejoins and so on. "

though that does happen a lot slimming world does have a maintenance programme if people wish to use it and keep going to class and getting weighted after they have reached their goal, you cant make people stay though and a lot do relax when they have reach3ed goal and start gaining again

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

The problem with slimming world etc is that they teach you how to lose weight, but not how to maintain and this is how they get repeat custom: Customer joins, loses weight, gets to their goal weight, stops going, cannot maintain so puts weight back on......rejoins and so on.

though that does happen a lot slimming world does have a maintenance programme if people wish to use it and keep going to class and getting weighted after they have reached their goal, you cant make people stay though and a lot do relax when they have reach3ed goal and start gaining again "

Does it? Thats good then.

The nice thing about logging your intake although it is tedious, is that you eventually come to know how many calories/day you need to maintain/lose/gain and can tweak accordingly.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Try to add beans and pulses to your meals. Butter bean mash is really tasty and can replace potato mash, it's high in protein and low gi.

Lentils both red and green are quick to cook and can be very tasty. Green lentils dressed with a little olive oil and either lemon or balsamic vinegar whilst still warm are a great alternative to carbs and are great with chicken or chops or grilled fish and can be eaten hot or cold.

I always have a few cans of a variety of beans and chick peas to make healthy very filling food quickly.

Try to cut back on wheat and potatoes. Switch to brown rice and give quinoa a try - treat it like rice or fine pasta and serve with something in sauce. Experiment with herbs and spices to add flavour and interest to replace the pleasure we get from fat - bland food is more likely to make you get tempted to cheat.

Try to cut out refined sugar. I eat porridge with fruit or dried fruit in (yes they have sugars but they are better than golden syrup!). I also mix up my own muesli cos most readymade has sugar added. I use oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed, linseed and dried fruit.

If you want a sweet chocolatey treat get some low fat hot chocolate in. But as a general rule avoid the low fat and dieting alternatives cos they often have all kinds of things added like sweeteners and salt. Check labels, if the ingredients include things you wouldn't use in your kitchen then think twice or even three times about buying it.

Good luck.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

1 important thing to remember.

All the advice above is good advice, but what works for others may not necessarily work for you.

And you can't target fat loss. Fat will shift from where it shifts. You may want to lose it from you bum, boobs, belly etc, your body may have other ideas.

I recently lost about 3 stone, gone down 2 dress sizes, but also lost fat from my fingers and my feet, gone down 3 shoe sizes!

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

The problem with slimming world etc is that they teach you how to lose weight, but not how to maintain and this is how they get repeat custom: Customer joins, loses weight, gets to their goal weight, stops going, cannot maintain so puts weight back on......rejoins and so on. "

Weightwatchers has a maintenance programme plus if you stay within 5lbs of your goal weight you get your meetings free. All leaders have been members who've kept the weight off for years. Ww is not a diet, it's a re education on healthy eating.

See your GP before you undertake any form of exercise. They may also send you to a dietician. There are many meds that gps can prescribe that make you feel full and also discourage fat intake (by making you shift to the toilet if you eat too much of it!). There is also in many cases a GP referral scheme where you can get a gym membership for 6 months at a very discounted rate or pay as you use.

I was a lot heavier - a size 20 - and had all the above assistance at one time or another. Recently I cut out all the crap food, ate cereal bars, I shop for fresh fruit late at night in supermarkets when it's reduced to clear for smoothies or to have the next day. I'm now a size 12 and 4 stone lighter.

Update:

- 1 stone.

Didnt continue with sw, just tried to sort out my eating habits. Eat three times a day and making it healthier than what I had previously been doing. Exercise is only a walk every night after work. Slowly but surely its getting a little easier.

Good luck to those who are trying and continue to lose weight.

Congratulations keep up the good work and increase by small increments you'll get there

How are you finding it?

Fab

It's working brill

And I walk a lot as well"

I tried the 'cut down more exercise' thing on my own. I could never stick to it. I joined slimming world and lost over two stone. I rarely felt hungry and group support really motivated me. I still go even though I'm at target. I really recommend it...as long as the consultant is a good 'un xx

By *iverscuMan  over a year ago

Berkshire

Hi Sue, i missed this thread when first posted, congratulation on loosing a stone! that's incredible and you should be proud of yourself because that is a great effort.

It sounds like you're well on your way already. How are you finding your diet plan? is it easy to stick to? what would you say are problem points at the moment, diet/exercise? happy to try and help in any way

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

How are you finding it?

Fab

It's working brill

And I walk a lot as well

I tried the 'cut down more exercise' thing on my own. I could never stick to it. I joined slimming world and lost over two stone. I rarely felt hungry and group support really motivated me. I still go even though I'm at target. I really recommend it...as long as the consultant is a good 'un xx"

I think that's the key the consultant has to be good. Mine is brilliant and has stayed with me through my ups and downs

Hi _iverscu

The hardest part I find is finding foods that keep me full. I feel hungry alot of the time. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

As for exercise im just walking at the mo. Not fit enough for anything else.

On a side note I didnt find sw that helpful. I suspect it may have been because of the lady who was running it. She wasnt very inspiring.

It is hard going it alone. Perhaps I might look at going to a different sw group.

Why not try the 30 day squats and 30 day abs challenges? They knacker you but you do see results if you stick at it. You can find details and excercise plan on google - miss jay x

By *ikki ShooterTV/TS  over a year ago

Epsom

How are you finding it?

Fab

It's working brill

And I walk a lot as well"

Me too works wonders and it's real food.

Would recommend crossfit for exercise once you have built some fitness up, find your local box and get involved, good fun and meet some new people as well. A lot of body weight stuff as well

Well done on the loss so far x

"Why not try the 30 day squats and 30 day abs challenges? They knacker you but you do see results if you stick at it. You can find details and excercise plan on google - miss jay x"

Squats?!!!! Yeah right

I have trouble walking never mind squats

"Would recommend crossfit for exercise once you have built some fitness up, find your local box and get involved, good fun and meet some new people as well. A lot of body weight stuff as well

Well done on the loss so far x"

Crossfit?

"Why not try the 30 day squats and 30 day abs challenges? They knacker you but you do see results if you stick at it. You can find details and excercise plan on google - miss jay x

Squats?!!!! Yeah right

I have trouble walking never mind squats "

Haha ok, then swimming is probably your best bet for fitness lots of people say its great, I cant swim though so I wouldnt know haha.

As for the sugar, I wouldnt say you have to cut it out completly just cut it down and replace some with healthy snacks like grapes and apple x

Berkshire

I think you’ve done absolutely amazing to lose a stone already, i hope your proud because it is a fantastic achievement Sue.

Whats your diet like at the moment?

As a general rule protein rich food will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Oats in the morning should keep you full till lunch, a banana or piece of fruit should get you through if your struggling to hold out hun..

At work do you have cooking faculties? Or maybe a microwave you could heat food in? That would be perfect as you could make your lunch the night before and heat it up, say an evening meal of large chicken breast (without the skin) rice, carrots, broccoli will fill you up till morning, cook double and have it at work the next day at work.

The fact that you are getting out for a walk in the evenings really is brilliant, hopefully you have a nice country walk to go on, living in the Royal Borough, we have some lovely areas

The next time you go out, try picking a landmark in the distance say a tree or lampost and walk as fast as you can to it.

Once youve got there have a few minutes rest while you continue your walk, then pick another and try to do it again. This is a great introduction to exercise and before you know it, that walk or at least the fast bit of it, will start to become a jog

By *otswoldMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

[Removed by poster at 20/08/14 16:18:56]

By *lackbirdtimestwoWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

"Hi all

I realise the chances of me getting a meet now are even slimmer (excuse pun) after this thread "

To see a difference real quick,, 10 days of no and I mean no carbs,, google everything before you eat to make sure it's zero carbs,, white meat only and lots of water,, then I suggest slimming world or weightwatchers,, I bought a pedometer and step 10k per day it's not much but it really helps, and swimming is great for all over fitness,

I too have up smoking and put on weight I've lost 3 stone and have another 2 to lose,, but I feel so much healthier having lost the 1st three,,, don't beat yourself up about the weight,, cos that's when you can get into eating for comfort,, little and often slow and steady x

Good luck xxx

Hi _lackbirdtimestwo

Congrats on your weight loss and quitting smoking. Ive cut out the sugar that I was having ie cakes, biscuits etc so thats helped me im sure. Still got another three stone at least to go. Thats a good idea about getting a pedometer. It would help me keep track on what I am doing and what I should be doing.

Ive had lots of pms today too. Lots of encouragement and people sharing their own personal stories. Its good to know im not alone and have a good support network on here. You guys are fab

Riverscu I will pm you

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I agree with Riverscu. Try and keep your carbs down (less bread, less pasta, and less fruit I am afraid, but if you top up your veg they keep you filled too). I just had my first session with a personal trainer (my arms are killing me) and he said his diet tip is 'good food three to four times a day'. So a healthy breakfast, a small mid-morning snack (nuts, or nut butter spread on an apple), then a high protein lunch, then a mid-afternoon snack such as a low fat yoghurt, then a high protein dinner.

Walking is a good workout, and when I started on my fitness regime (yes, I gave up smoking and piled on the pounds too) I downloaded some walking workouts from the Prevention website and played them on my MP3 player. Swimming is awesome for people with joint problems too.

Well done. Keep at it, and you'll reap the rewards.

"I've gone from a size 20 to a 14 in a year (about 4 1/2 stone gone) by simply keeping a food and exercise diary to try and keep my calorie intake to a set limit each day and I never, ever cheat in it. I use an app for it. Plus I now walk to work and back, which is 2 miles each way. I've got quicker apparently; I use the time to listen to my iPod and don't get a whole album done in a day

now."

This completely! I've tried every diet known to man but the min I stopped "dieting" just eating more consciously,writing down everything that went in my mouth (food!) the weight just came off. Exercise is a big part of the key though not only for weight loss but to help with keeping you focused and give you a mental boost. I bike to work everyday now, workout when I can and feel happier and healthier than I have in years! Oh and I dropped 3 stone too! But like everything it's hard work!!! Good luck... Xxx

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"But like everything it's hard work!!! Good luck... Xxx"

This is it. It takes a long time to get overweight and unfit, but too many people want a quick fix. Slowly is better, especially for preventing loose skin.

If you recognise it, your halfway there young lady. Start walking, eat a balanced diet, then consider joining a gym, great for motivation. Desire is the fuel, if you want to change, you will. I'll be rooting for you

By *umpsMan  over a year ago

city

Go to the swimming pool.. Get one that has the same level around the pool..meaning no deep section.. And go walking in the pool for now as its less strain on the joints.. Check it out online.

Berkshire

"Riverscu I will pm you "

No problem hun, happy to help

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

"I don't mean any offence but to me from what you have typed is walking and swimming to start with and obviously watch your food intake and take it from there, but I wish you well "

its not rocket science, put less food in your mouth and move more, speed walking/swimming, get yourself a headset as we all know walking/exercise can be boring. If funds are limited, get yourself some kettle bells from argos or second hand, get a video on youtube and away you go, yoga on youtube? good luck xxx

How's it going firstly ?

Try too eat little and often which will (if eating the right foods veg etc ) put off any hunger pangs ?

Set little exercise targets of distance and speed ? Vary what your doing exercise wise so as it doesn't get boring? Most of all if you really want to lose weight you will by combining exercise and changing you intake

"

Update:

- 1 stone.

Didnt continue with sw, just tried to sort out my eating habits. Eat three times a day and making it healthier than what I had previously been doing. Exercise is only a walk every night after work. Slowly but surely its getting a little easier.

Good luck to those who are trying and continue to lose weight. "

Wow well done awesome lady!

I'm the same as you but not lost the stone you have!

I'd be happy if we could mutually support? X

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

Hope its going well.

I was a serial dieter - rosemary connely, slimming world, weight watchers, cambridge diet, VLC diets, cabbage soup, faddy diets, the works. None of it worked.

What did make me lose 17 stone (over 4 years and keep it off?) Getting off my arse, doing things and eating less. And drinking more water.

Yes, its hard. I remember when I started exercise at home, I had a Davina workout DVD, and I was lying sobbing on the floor for being so fat and unfit half way through the warm up! I couldn't do it, but I slammed in that DVD the next night, and pushed on for an extra 30 seconds. Now, I'm training to be a gym instructor.

You can do it. Yes, its bloody hard work, and yes there are times when all you will want to do it curl up and eat your own bodyweight.

I don't diet. I don't avoid any foods - everything in moderation. I also NEVER use diet and low fat foods. They are piled full of chemicals and crap your body does not need and cannot properly process. Eat Lean and Clean.

Lower your calorie intake, and increase your calorie expenditure (eat less, do more) and it will start.

Oh, and you likely will feel hungry as your stomach may well be stretched from overeating. It can readjust over time.

"

Update:

- 1 stone.

Good luck to those who are trying and continue to lose weight.

Wow well done awesome lady!

I'm the same as you but not lost the stone you have!

I'd be happy if we could mutually support? X"

Hiya

Thank you. Yes id be more than happy to mutually support. It would be great to be able to help someone else if I can. Happy to chat on here or by pm. Anytime x

"Hope its going well.

I was a serial dieter - rosemary connely, slimming world, weight watchers, cambridge diet, VLC diets, cabbage soup, faddy diets, the works. None of it worked.

What did make me lose 17 stone (over 4 years and keep it off?) Getting off my arse, doing things and eating less. And drinking more water.

Yes, its hard. I remember when I started exercise at home, I had a Davina workout DVD, and I was lying sobbing on the floor for being so fat and unfit half way through the warm up! I couldn't do it, but I slammed in that DVD the next night, and pushed on for an extra 30 seconds. Now, I'm training to be a gym instructor.

You can do it. Yes, its bloody hard work, and yes there are times when all you will want to do it curl up and eat your own bodyweight.

I don't diet. I don't avoid any foods - everything in moderation. I also NEVER use diet and low fat foods. They are piled full of chemicals and crap your body does not need and cannot properly process. Eat Lean and Clean.

Lower your calorie intake, and increase your calorie expenditure (eat less, do more) and it will start.

Oh, and you likely will feel hungry as your stomach may well be stretched from overeating. It can readjust over time."

Wow! Well done on you weight loss!!! It is hard work you're right

Im hoping to try and eat a little less and generally just move about more. There were times not so long ago that the only time my body would move is to the fridge and back. Bad times actually. No wonder Ive become a lard arse.

"Go to the swimming pool.. Get one that has the same level around the pool..meaning no deep section.. And go walking in the pool for now as its less strain on the joints.. Check it out online."

Good idea! Thank you. That's what I need exercise wise - something that isnt going to hurt my joints.

Im joining up tomorrow morning.

By *ittleBitOfFunCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

Someone in work changed a few small things to their diet and lost two stone fairly quickly, such as drinking skimmed milk instead of semi skimmed milk and eating unsalted nuts as a snack instead of chocolate or crisps. I sometimes get the healthy food magazines and they have some really good recipes for healthy but tasty food. Maybe try getting a free trial for a nearby council gym and try out some of the classes. Some people find the gym boring but enjoy some of the classes. You don't know if you don't try

Also try drinking a cup of green tea a day, it helps with digestion and your overall health. I know the taste can be quite overpowering but you could try it with a bit of lemon or honey to begin with until you get used to the taste

» Add a new message to this topic