FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > dyslexia

dyslexia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lwaysdiscreet OP   Man  over a year ago

Ashford Kent and Dartford

who else as this on here and finds it hard to break the ice with people.

because your not as good as the others in writing people toss you a side which if they got to know you I am betting your as nice as the next person next to you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't have dyslexia but I don't agree that people toss those who have it aside. Your post is well written and easily understood could there be another reason that you are being turned down?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My boyfriend has it, has issues with spelling and often mixes up words like are, our and or.

There is another thread up at the moment where a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that having problems with spelling and grammar make you unintelligent.

It is sad that level of ignorance still exists I especially for me as I have a couple of dyslexic kids in my class who even at primary school age believe they are 'thick'. But I had quite a few PMs from people agreeing with what I said... So don't give up! There are some great people on here!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My boyfriend has it, has issues with spelling and often mixes up words like are, our and or.

There is another thread up at the moment where a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that having problems with spelling and grammar make you unintelligent.

It is sad that level of ignorance still exists I especially for me as I have a couple of dyslexic kids in my class who even at primary school age believe they are 'thick'. But I had quite a few PMs from people agreeing with what I said... So don't give up! There are some great people on here!"

I haven't read that post I tend to avoid those. From what you say I can understand now why the op might have got the impression he has then

I have dyslexia but have software that helps me as I have just finished college

I have a fat arse and I don't think its fair that people toss me aside because of it. I'm as good as anyone else and just because I cannot wear size 12 knickers doesn't mean I am not as good as anyone else,

[Removed by poster at 14/07/14 20:52:01]

I agree with Reggie... Its not having dyslexia it self that's hindering, im undiagnosed but have many of the trait's associated, but its the side effect it has on self confidence. Most of the time i spend in chat watching the chat flow. And often feel i don't quite know when to join in. And even saying hi to someone sometime feels daunting.

there's no real advice i can give but i kind of understand. Once every now and then someone responds in a positive manner and so i keep going. Hope yu do to

Thousands that will claim to be in some form or another... and a few that actually do and who tend to write considerably better than those others that claim to!

Good luck

By *ovemenotWoman  over a year ago

yeovil

I have it and started a thread the other day . With in the 1st few comments people where taking the piss about my spelling . Am a little reluctant to post again .

By *rofaneprofMan  over a year ago

Katy

"My boyfriend has it, has issues with spelling and often mixes up words like are, our and or.

It is sad that level of ignorance still exists I especially for me as I have a couple of dyslexic kids in my class who even at primary school age believe they are 'thick'. But I had quite a few PMs from people agreeing with what I said... So don't give up! There are some great people on here!"

As one of the people who posted in favor of better grammar and spelling on the other thread, I must apologize to anyone who took offense. Being dyslexic is certainly not an indication of intelligence or the lack thereof. Dyslexic people often have unique talents and skills that are way above the general population. My comments against poor grammar and spelling were only directed at those who are sometimes too lazy to learn the basics. The last thing I want to do is to stereotype anybody based on their language skills. Heck, I am not even a native English speaker!

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

I think it's generally quite easy to spot the difference between an intelligent person with dyslexia from someone who just doesn't have a grasp of the English language for whatever reason (being diplomatic here).

The former, we'd have no problem with - the latter, there's a chance we may not get along on a social level. If you want NSA sex and NOTHING else, that probably wouldn't be a problem. We like to be able to converse as well as get down and dirty though

"Thousands that will claim to be in some form or another... and a few that actually do and who tend to write considerably better than those others that claim to!

Good luck"

i would hope this isn't a dig.... I did say traits. And spell check helps loads.

"Thousands that will claim to be in some form or another... and a few that actually do and who tend to write considerably better than those others that claim to!

Good luck

i would hope this isn't a dig.... I did say traits. And spell check helps loads.

"

It is a dig - at all those that claim to have it as an excuse for laziness. Opposed to those that actually do.

I have no idea which you are.

Good luck

It is a dig - at all those that claim to have it as an excuse for laziness. Opposed to those that actually do.

I have no idea which you are."

you implication is that you think you do ... Glad that you don't tho.

I have it but but most of my spelling errors happen because of bloody autocorrect, or im rushing when typing instead of taking the extra time i need to post accurately

By *llie RoseWoman  over a year ago

By the seaside

I know someone who has a very high IQ and who is incredibly eloquent with the written word but who has the social skills of an amoeba. I also know someone who can only just read and write, a combination of dyslexia and skipping school because of it, who is the life and soul of the party. Suppose what I'm saying is you can't get to know someone from just one medium such as a written message.

By *ingersnthumbsMan  over a year ago

London

"who else as this on here and finds it hard to break the ice with people.

because your not as good as the others in writing people toss you a side which if they got to know you I am betting your as nice as the next person next to you "

Yep for sure

By *qua vitaeWoman  over a year ago

Shropshire/South Yorkshire

All because someone can't spell, has bad grammar or take ages to write a piece, it's not necessarily so they're unintelligent.

I have dyslexia and tomorrow, I'm graduating with a BA honours degree in Archaeology and Ancient History. Many years ago I was told by a school counsellor not to aspire to do a university degree. I've proved them wrong.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"All because someone can't spell, has bad grammar or take ages to write a piece, it's not necessarily so they're unintelligent.

I have dyslexia and tomorrow, I'm graduating with a BA honours degree in Archaeology and Ancient History. Many years ago I was told by a school counsellor not to aspire to do a university degree. I've proved them wrong."

Congratulations to you have a great day tomorrow.

"All because someone can't spell, has bad grammar or take ages to write a piece, it's not necessarily so they're unintelligent.

I have dyslexia and tomorrow, I'm graduating with a BA honours degree in Archaeology and Ancient History. Many years ago I was told by a school counsellor not to aspire to do a university degree. I've proved them wrong."

Well done hopefully i will be saying the same thing next year

London

I know exactly which one you're talking about! my back was going up in that, specially that one quote, I wanted to jump in so badly.. What some people don't realise is saying stuff like that, could knocks a persons confidence even more so them they feel already, making them feel even lower than they already feel about themselves, because they can't join the discussion and have fun, it makes them feel more uneducated, a fool truth be told, and could/even possibly lead to more severe problems, lower self esteem than they already have, feeling worthless ect ect to the point where someone could takes those words to heart, and could start to do things, like self harming, start having suicidal thoughts all because of stupid comments like that, because of a feeling they can't fit in, and why cause they can't read and write some people might/would describe that as being bullied by words! And all because of some ignorant people don't like misspelt words and in their eyes they are lazy and unintelligent...I'm a little bit tipsy, so if that's come out a little bit gobbledygooked lol my bad

London

[Removed by poster at 14/07/14 23:16:51]

London

I have dyslexia and tomorrow, I'm graduating with a BA honours degree in Archaeology and Ancient History. Many years ago I was told by a school counsellor not to aspire to do a university degree. I've proved them wrong.Well done hopefully i will be saying the same thing next year "

If you look at my two posts it was exactly 59 minutes it took me to write that cause I have some kind of condition! Don't know what it is but I do lol don't get me wrong I can read a book from front to back perfectly but I can't spell for shit also you could put me on page 1 of that book, and stop me a paragraph down and asked me how the paragraph start and I would not be able to tell you Hay ho I got to live with that.... But well done you congrats x

London

And if you're wondering how I wrote all that! God bless the iphone and Siri lol And for the haters who don't like misspelt words and uneducated messages!! Here's 50p go phone the Samaritans and tell someone who gives a fuck

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Well said

Our daughter is dyslexic and some peoples attitude towards it, literally makes my blood boil.

I'm dyslexic and so are my kids

f7 and google are wonderful things

"who else as this on here and finds it hard to break the ice with people.

because your not as good as the others in writing people toss you a side which if they got to know you I am betting your as nice as the next person next to you "

I don't care if you have dyslexia however married/attached people are not wanted!!

By *airy_HettyWoman  over a year ago

Greater London

Dyslexia has NO bearing on intelligence whatsoever. People who believe otherwise are displaying the usual ignorant behaviour that dyslexics have become used to.

Dyslexia is a neurological condition that is lifelong. It's a case of finding what is right for the individual.

I always know when I've spelt something wrong, but often I just can't for the life of me get the correct spelling!

Hasn't held me back though...degree, Rocket Scientist, etc

I hate txt spk with a passion though

Is txt speak easier or more difficult for a dyslexic?

Well having looked at some studies (there don't seem to be many) so far they seem to show that dyslexic children may find textism easier to read than normal language.

Interesting because I read about somebody that had given students 'scriptio continua' to read (text without any spaces between words) and the children who found it easiest were the least literate.

I have dyslexia and I can lick with the rest of you lot

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

I'm dyslexic and so are two of our three children. I was diagnosed just after I had failed all my o levels...

However I have become a bit of a spelling pedant. My pet hates are the usual there, their and there are and your, you are... The new one is dose instead of does... I have improved my grammar and spelling it's far from perfect but it's a thing of personal pride for me.

I know there are different levels of dyslexia so would never belittle anyone for bad spelling or grammar, I do hate lazy writters though...

There are many very successful people who have dyslexia... The guy who owns The Range, can't read or write but built a billion pound business from scratch. A leading publishing house was set up by a dyslexic chap whom whent on to be a multimillionaire MP... There are loads of them...

Spell check and Google are your friends....

"Is txt speak easier or more difficult for a dyslexic?"

I bet it's equally annoying tbh

It was ok pre predictive text but most phones enable you to type sentences without too much difficulty.....

^ see.....n I karnt speeeel fer tofffeeee

"Is txt speak easier or more difficult for a dyslexic?

It was ok pre predictive text but most phones enable you to type sentences without too much difficulty.....

^ see.....n I karnt speeeel fer tofffeeee"

I wouldn't think spell check is too helpful for correct word selection though - their/there/they're etc.

I know people use speech to text, but again must be a pain to check its correct.

The studies suggested that perhaps phonetic language is simpler to use/understand and abbreviated text tends to be more phonetic.

Obviously I haven't a clue from a personal perspective - be interested to know from somebody that has been diagnosed as to how they find text speak.

Tbh = txt = hypocrite

Lmao

Fail!

"Is txt speak easier or more difficult for a dyslexic?

^ see.....n I karnt speeeel fer tofffeeee

I wouldn't think spell check is too helpful for correct word selection though - their/there/they're etc.

I know people use speech to text, but again must be a pain to check its correct.

The studies suggested that perhaps phonetic language is simpler to use/understand and abbreviated text tends to be more phonetic.

Obviously I haven't a clue from a personal perspective - be interested to know from somebody that has been diagnosed as to how they find text speak."

True....

I too try my best with their, they're, there etc and have learnt the 'rules'

As you say, software probably won't help with this (at least not just yet(

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"I know someone who has a very high IQ and who is incredibly eloquent with the written word but who has the social skills of an amoeba. I also know someone who can only just read and write, a combination of dyslexia and skipping school because of it, who is the life and soul of the party. Suppose what I'm saying is you can't get to know someone from just one medium such as a written message. "
exactly this

Far more important things in life than worrying about the intelligence level of a person. Birds of a feather may flock together but so do sheep. I like to have a wander out of the box every now and then

King is dyslexic. I find the humour in the communication between us and between Sir and our potential meets. He then uses my piss-taking as a reason for disciplining me

I would never not meet anyone because they have issues with spelling. It bears no resemblance to the type of person they are and I'm pretty sure there isn't one person who can type/write everything correctly.

I have dyscalculia, it's a bloody nightmare working with numbers everyday!

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I used to be dyslexic x

I have no excuse for my poor writing / spelling and using txt language other than rushing when typing and not proof reading.

However I also have no time for ppl who wiould judge me based on that.

Things will only upset you if you let them.

Be yourself. Concentrate on the ppl who accept you for you, and be happy

"I used to be dyslexic x"

they have found a cure?

my daughter is dyslexic i can spot someone else who is a mile off, to be honest most dyslexic people you wouldn't even know as they tend to use spell check etc so there messages are usually better written than someone without it

i would never pass someone by because they was dyslexic as i know what a struggle my girl has had, even getting into uni was a mammoth take, lazy writers on the other hand .....

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

The gift of dyslexia x cure maybe not , overcome almost all the obstacles that to claim I have it would be of no purpose .personaly I find it can be over used as an excuse and I preferred to overcome certain inconvenience s rather than claim inability

» Add a new message to this topic