FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Ladies only- norethisterone

Ladies only- norethisterone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ampWithABrain OP   Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Just been put on this for various symptoms just wondered what other ladies thoughts and experiences were. I've not been on it long, so far making symptoms worse if anything.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nigmatic1Woman  over a year ago

A seaside town near you!

Are you taking it to stop your periods or to reduce the blood flow from heavy periods?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I found it good stopped period but got bloated

id just get Contraceptive implant it may stop periods all together and its there for 3 years, its stopped mine and if the condom breaks at least you wont have an unwanted baby x

They stopped working for me after a while. Saw a consultant after several scans and was suggested I try a coil as a last resort before a hysterectomy. That was over 2 years ago. The mirena coil has worked wonders. Hope you're sorted soon x

Glasgow

On it for unusual bleeding. Periods all over shop perhaps an age thing. Personally I think it's cos my GP took me off pill cos I hit 40 and could do with losing some weight. Even though I'm otherwise fit and healthy and never had any heart or blood pressure problems. Just fed up with it all

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Ask him to consider mini pill. I changed to it at 40 and still on it at 43 and it stops my bleeding completely and no side effects

Glasgow

Won't give me mini pill even! I realise they have guidelines from nice but they're only guidelines!

Like you my periods are acting up. It's the flooding and sheer fatigue that is getting to me.

"Won't give me mini pill even! I realise they have guidelines from nice but they're only guidelines!"

Can you try a different doctor? x

I use it to delay my periods and never have any issue apart from a little bloating.

Glasgow

"Won't give me mini pill even! I realise they have guidelines from nice but they're only guidelines!

Can you try a different doctor? x"

I've tried different drs even gynaecologist wouldn't. Seems to be an issue in the area I live in.

Glasgow

"I use it to delay my periods and never have any issue apart from a little bloating. "

I'm basically spotting constantly. So not a lot of blood but enough to make playing a problem. Also affecting other areas of life plus think I'm getting anaemic now

If youve not been on it long my advice would be to try it for a little longer. It took a while for it to work for me, my problem had got so bad that I couldnt leave the house for 2 weeks out of 4.

Have no problem at all now except slight bleeding occasionally on week 4.

Ive used these few times now to delay my period worked everytime, just finish & now I have my P but Christ the down side is the mood swings. Think I'm going to look into a marina coil a lot of people said very good

Oh and yep my doctor was the same soon as I hit 40 wouldn't put me on any type of pill

I used to use it to delay periods, which worked. Then started getting really heavy periods when I dared not leave the house for days at a time. Had a womb ablation 2 years ago and am now using depo injection, not had a bleed for 2 years now. Had to jump through a few hoops to get doctor to allow me to have depo.

By *airy_HettyWoman  over a year ago

Greater London

I have just had a marina coil put in and that was 2 months ago. My periods are now extremely light and only last a couple of days. Hopefully the marina will stop them from occurring very soon. I wish I had done this years ago tbh .

"I have just had a marina coil put in and that was 2 months ago. My periods are now extremely light and only last a couple of days. Hopefully the marina will stop them from occurring very soon. I wish I had done this years ago tbh . "

It's been brilliant for me too

"I have just had a marina coil put in and that was 2 months ago. My periods are now extremely light and only last a couple of days. Hopefully the marina will stop them from occurring very soon. I wish I had done this years ago tbh .

It's been brilliant for me too "

I wish it was for me. My periods are unpredictable since I've had it and it's lost! It's still in there because I had to have a scan to make sure. I'm not looking forward to them taking the bugger out which is the only reason I haven't done so yet.....it's not for everyone but all methods need to be given time to settle and start working properly.

By *etes-dragonCouple  over a year ago

Wales and the South West

"I have just had a mirena coil put in and that was 2 months ago. My periods are now extremely light and only last a couple of days. Hopefully the marina will stop them from occurring very soon. I wish I had done this years ago tbh . "

Having total nightmare with my Mirena. Had it put in in April... been on strong painkillers ever since. (Waiting for scan which is happening in 3 weeks time to find out where it is, as Dr not sure if its in canal and not where it should be!) It was a nightmare to put in, I was literally climbing the walls. Family Planning Dr couldnt insert, Consultant had major issues inserting too. FP Dr asked would I mind leaving it in till after scan as she refused to let me go through the pain of having it inserted again. Personally..... id never advise anyone to have one inserted ...... unless pain was their kink!!!!!

But im just one person..........

Good luck with whatever suits you

The first mirena coil I had, reduced my 10 day period to about 5 days, and lessened the flow. This second one hasn't. I use super tampons and night-time pads and still flood. I've tried tranexamic acid, also mefanamic acid. About to try the two together.

Ablation has been discussed.

STIs have been ruled out and fibroids are the likely cause.

I hope you get yours sorted soon Evie.

I hated it when I was on it. Probably combined with the other symtoms I was experiencing at the time it made me a really moody cow.

I hope you have a better experience of it.

I hope both you and Evie get your problems sorted. I went through similiar symptoms (because of fibriods) for the best part of 2 years before having a hysterectomy. If it comes to that all I can say it's been the best thing for me now I've recovered.

Wishing you both all the best...

By *s_bettyboopWoman  over a year ago

I used this when my periods stopped and the doctor gave it me to kick start it after not having them for a few years. Worked for me but reverse reasons to what others use it for.

"I hope both you and Evie get your problems sorted. I went through similiar symptoms (because of fibriods) for the best part of 2 years before having a hysterectomy. If it comes to that all I can say it's been the best thing for me now I've recovered.

Wishing you both all the best..."

Thank you (if this includes me).

Glasgow

Thanks for feedback everyone. I've stopped taking it as had headache that wouldn't shift n that was only possible cause. I used to have migraines so bad they made me faint before I went on pill at 15. I've got call in to my dr to call me so will see what she says. She's not v sympathetic tho as she thinks it's purely I'm annoyed due to it affecting sex even tho I've said it's cos I wanna know cause isn't anything bad (history of ovarian and uterine cancers in family awaiting results of test for that) sti's n fibroids been ruled out

"I use it to delay my periods and never have any issue apart from a little bloating.

I'm basically spotting constantly. So not a lot of blood but enough to make playing a problem. Also affecting other areas of life plus think I'm getting anaemic now "

Hope you get it sorted sweetie. Meantime take iron tabs and make sure you are resting and drinking plenty fluids.

Glasgow

Drinking plenty, have to be prescribed iron as certain types have no effect on me.

More tablets for me to try... Gynae referral if they fail (and an ablation).

"Just been put on this for various symptoms just wondered what other ladies thoughts and experiences were. I've not been on it long, so far making symptoms worse if anything. "

was given this after my cancerous lumps was removed

made me bloat and felt a tad sick but depends on the dosage

Glasgow

Stopped taking for couple days n now realise it was helping. How long till it stops bleeding approx? I'm on 3 tablets daily

By *istress V in Yorks 2Woman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I take it and no problems, better if anything with it x
"Just been put on this for various symptoms just wondered what other ladies thoughts and experiences were. I've not been on it long, so far making symptoms worse if anything. "

By *ice and SleazyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I've been on it for three months now and it's been great. No side effects at all apart from a desperate need for chocolate 2 days after I stop taking it!

It's been such a stress reliever to be able to plan our meets with confidence and for me not have my life ruled by Mother Nature.

By *ussex BJ QueenWoman  over a year ago

Dartford

Have u asked the dr for the nexplanon? This is allowed for those that dont meet the criteria for the pill (over weight/slightly older).. ive found it to be a real life saver as without something i bleed pretty much 6 days out of every 7, sometimes waking up in a pool of blood in the middle of the night which was deffo not nice... thought id been stabbed!

My advice would be to trial what theyve given for 3 months then if its ot working or ur headaches come back try the nexplanon x

Glasgow

Thanks for the tip I'll talk it over with my dr

By *ittykate84Woman  over a year ago

CHESTER

I had it after an ectopic as bleeding wouldnt settle and didnt find it much help! I have had the implant put back in and once again its stopped my periods, i may get some light spotting every 6 months but its barely noticeable

By *issy 1974Woman  over a year ago

Barry

I'm on my second Marina coil, works great for me (no bleeding at all) tho I know of friends it had opposite affect on. Depo injection b4 that was ok, just made me a bit moody.

Hope you can sort things soon.

By *rtemisiaWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

When I was in my twenties, I took it to stop heavy bleeding, and later went on the pill. When 21 days were up, I stopped for seven days as prescribed. My experience was very painful cramps, so have Solpadeine handy just in case. It MAY just have been my experience of course. Hopefully you'll be fine.

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

I was put on the injections to stop my bleeding just before my hysterectomy but had to stop as it was making me to bleed every two weeks instead of stopping them.

But I was lucky I only had four weeks to wait for my hysterectomy.

Hope you get on ok x

By *ickawitchCouple  over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

"Thanks for feedback everyone. I've stopped taking it as had headache that wouldn't shift n that was only possible cause. I used to have migraines so bad they made me faint before I went on pill at 15. I've got call in to my dr to call me so will see what she says. She's not v sympathetic tho as she thinks it's purely I'm annoyed due to it affecting sex even tho I've said it's cos I wanna know cause isn't anything bad (history of ovarian and uterine cancers in family awaiting results of test for that) sti's n fibroids been ruled out"

Have they done a gene test for ovarian cancer for you? My mum has stage 4 ovarian cancer and my gp says it's not necessary to test me until I have symptoms. I have very heavy painful periods and bloating which is normal for me but I also get lots of breast cysts and have had a benign tumour removed a few years ago. My mum was seeing her gp for nearly a whole year with her symptoms before a locum sent her for a ca125 which showed the cancer. We do not have much faith in doctors any more. Wowwwwww my while life story in one post! Okay are they tearing you for the defective gene and if so how did it come about?

Glasgow

scan,blood test and biopsy done all clear, they were thorough as it's in family. It's why I reported the change immediately. Now I just wanna be able to not spend a fortune on 'feminine hygiene', be able to wear what I want without worry and be able to play again.

Thank you for the answer, I hope you get it sorted out. Not good when it affects all aspects of your life and you just want it to stop. Hopefully everything works out for you

"scan,blood test and biopsy done all clear, they were thorough as it's in family. It's why I reported the change immediately. Now I just wanna be able to not spend a fortune on 'feminine hygiene', be able to wear what I want without worry and be able to play again. "

I haven't had your experience with this but ask about the depo injection and good luck

"Thanks for feedback everyone. I've stopped taking it as had headache that wouldn't shift n that was only possible cause. I used to have migraines so bad they made me faint before I went on pill at 15. I've got call in to my dr to call me so will see what she says. She's not v sympathetic tho as she thinks it's purely I'm annoyed due to it affecting sex even tho I've said it's cos I wanna know cause isn't anything bad (history of ovarian and uterine cancers in family awaiting results of test for that) sti's n fibroids been ruled out

Have they done a gene test for ovarian cancer for you? My mum has stage 4 ovarian cancer and my gp says it's not necessary to test me until I have symptoms. I have very heavy painful periods and bloating which is normal for me but I also get lots of breast cysts and have had a benign tumour removed a few years ago. My mum was seeing her gp for nearly a whole year with her symptoms before a locum sent her for a ca125 which showed the cancer. We do not have much faith in doctors any more. Wowwwwww my while life story in one post! Okay are they tearing you for the defective gene and if so how did it come about? "

I can't believe they are making you wait for this.!!

By *inkxRabbitWoman  over a year ago

Wokingish

Ladies

Mirena is the way to go. All of the female doctors have them so they can't all be wrong! I haven't had a period for 12 years with mine. The last five years btw.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Mirena coil was great for me. Better if you have had kids naturally though (I haven't) and it WAS agony to put in. It was also agony to take out and that's the only reason I haven't had another (yes I'm a Scaredy cat).

Following removal of the Mirena I tried the implant. Well, some people love it, but for my it was more painful than the Mirena! I had it removed after 3 months and it took the Dr 1hr 20 mins to remove it. (should take 5 mins) so it clearly doesn't suit everyone or have same effects on everyone.

I'm now on a mini-pill. I still haven't had a period in 6 years apart from spotting when I first got Mirena.

"Ladies

Mirena is the way to go. All of the female doctors have them so they can't all be wrong! I haven't had a period for 12 years with mine. The last five years btw."

not for everyone.

"Mirena coil was great for me. Better if you have had kids naturally though (I haven't) and it WAS agony to put in. It was also agony to take out and that's the only reason I haven't had another (yes I'm a Scaredy cat).

Following removal of the Mirena I tried the implant. Well, some people love it, but for my it was more painful than the Mirena! I had it removed after 3 months and it took the Dr 1hr 20 mins to remove it. (should take 5 mins) so it clearly doesn't suit everyone or have same effects on everyone.

I'm now on a mini-pill. I still haven't had a period in 6 years apart from spotting when I first got Mirena. "

I've had Mirena (and haven't had children) and getting it put in wasn't so bad, get them to give you an anasthetic injection first! Then it was just like period cramps for the rest of the day afterwards. Removal was totally fine. Would recommend going somewhere they do them regularly though, I wouldn't go to my GP because they probably only do one a week, got mine put in at sexual health clinic where they're fitting coils all the time.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

"Mirena coil was great for me. Better if you have had kids naturally though (I haven't) and it WAS agony to put in. It was also agony to take out and that's the only reason I haven't had another (yes I'm a Scaredy cat).

I'm now on a mini-pill. I still haven't had a period in 6 years apart from spotting when I first got Mirena.

I've had Mirena (and haven't had children) and getting it put in wasn't so bad, get them to give you an anasthetic injection first! Then it was just like period cramps for the rest of the day afterwards. Removal was totally fine. Would recommend going somewhere they do them regularly though, I wouldn't go to my GP because they probably only do one a week, got mine put in at sexual health clinic where they're fitting coils all the time."

My GP specialises in Gynae work. I think an injection in the cervix would be almost as bad as having it put in without anaesthetic! But then, I do also have a condition which gives me hypersensitivity to pain.

"Thanks for feedback everyone. I've stopped taking it as had headache that wouldn't shift n that was only possible cause. I used to have migraines so bad they made me faint before I went on pill at 15. I've got call in to my dr to call me so will see what she says. She's not v sympathetic tho as she thinks it's purely I'm annoyed due to it affecting sex even tho I've said it's cos I wanna know cause isn't anything bad (history of ovarian and uterine cancers in family awaiting results of test for that) sti's n fibroids been ruled out

Have they done a gene test for ovarian cancer for you? My mum has stage 4 ovarian cancer and my gp says it's not necessary to test me until I have symptoms. I have very heavy painful periods and bloating which is normal for me but I also get lots of breast cysts and have had a benign tumour removed a few years ago. My mum was seeing her gp for nearly a whole year with her symptoms before a locum sent her for a ca125 which showed the cancer. We do not have much faith in doctors any more. Wowwwwww my while life story in one post! Okay are they tearing you for the defective gene and if so how did it come about?

I can't believe they are making you wait for this.!! "

Even though my mum is terminally ill now and is receiving chemo palliatively they say that finding does not allow for gene testing unless I have two immediate family members with ovarian or breast cancer. We do not know half of my family so I have a whole load of relations who may or may not have cancer. As I cannot say they have I am playing a waiting game. My priority is my mum but if I had a heads up I could either do something about it or carry on and not be concerned that every little twinge is something sinister. I guess I will find out one way or another eventually but given that my mum had all the symptoms for a whole year before diagnosis I am not very hopeful

I've had Mirena (and haven't had children) and getting it put in wasn't so bad, get them to give you an anasthetic injection first! Then it was just like period cramps for the rest of the day afterwards. Removal was totally fine. Would recommend going somewhere they do them regularly though, I wouldn't go to my GP because they probably only do one a week, got mine put in at sexual health clinic where they're fitting coils all the time.

My GP specialises in Gynae work. I think an injection in the cervix would be almost as bad as having it put in without anaesthetic! But then, I do also have a condition which gives me hypersensitivity to pain. "

Ah, I think I have quite a high pain threshold. And I was quite squeamish about the thought of an injection but it was so quick that it wasn't a problem at all.

i was taken off cileste at 50 not 40 and put on a mini pill that buggered everything up - so i came off it all altogether - have used norethisterone once for a meet that we had taken a lot of planning for - and it was fantastic - had no side effects - i stopped taking it the morning of the meet and expected to come on in a couple of days but was about 5 days later -

"The first mirena coil I had, reduced my 10 day period to about 5 days, and lessened the flow. This second one hasn't. I use super tampons and night-time pads and still flood. I've tried tranexamic acid, also mefanamic acid. About to try the two together.

Ablation has been discussed.

STIs have been ruled out and fibroids are the likely cause.

I hope you get yours sorted soon Evie."

This was me 2 years ago. The mirena coil made me flood for months on end with 2 days respite before starting again. Pain was awful. I had an endometrial ablation after a year on the coil and have not bled since. It does not stop everyones bleeding but is worth a look at. The most successful ablation is with the 'rollerball' type device. It cauterises the womb wall when rolled over it. There are 2 other ways of doing it but not as successful. Have a google and put an end to the misery xx

By *ittykate84Woman  over a year ago

CHESTER

Even though my mum is terminally ill now and is receiving chemo palliatively they say that finding does not allow for gene testing unless I have two immediate family members with ovarian or breast cancer. We do not know half of my family so I have a whole load of relations who may or may not have cancer. As I cannot say they have I am playing a waiting game. My priority is my mum but if I had a heads up I could either do something about it or carry on and not be concerned that every little twinge is something sinister. I guess I will find out one way or another eventually but given that my mum had all the symptoms for a whole year before diagnosis I am not very hopeful "

What??? My mum had ovarian cancer, its now become secondary tumours on her heart, she has had gene testing to show she has the BRAC2 gene so i can now go get tested for it to!

My GP also does a year CA125 blood test on me after I explained how my mum got to have 7lb tumours before the dr took any notice & if that happened to me I would sue them!

Dont take no for an answer, if your mum is under a hospice or has macmillan help see if they can get your mum tested to see which gene mutation it is that she has x

"Ladies

Mirena is the way to go. All of the female doctors have them so they can't all be wrong! I haven't had a period for 12 years with mine. The last five years btw."

I have the Mirena coil. The first one reduced my periods to a manageable flow and just under a week duration. This one has hasn't helped at all. A 26 day cycle, bleed for 10 days, 3 of which I have to double pad (night towels and tampons) and stay near toilets!

I'm trialling the mini pill (coil remains). Came off my period Sunday (the ten days) and started bleeding Tuesday, it continues. Apparently 75% of women stop bleeding... I always have to be in the minority .

Even though my mum is terminally ill now and is receiving chemo palliatively they say that finding does not allow for gene testing unless I have two immediate family members with ovarian or breast cancer. We do not know half of my family so I have a whole load of relations who may or may not have cancer. As I cannot say they have I am playing a waiting game. My priority is my mum but if I had a heads up I could either do something about it or carry on and not be concerned that every little twinge is something sinister. I guess I will find out one way or another eventually but given that my mum had all the symptoms for a whole year before diagnosis I am not very hopeful

What??? My mum had ovarian cancer, its now become secondary tumours on her heart, she has had gene testing to show she has the BRAC2 gene so i can now go get tested for it to!

My GP also does a year CA125 blood test on me after I explained how my mum got to have 7lb tumours before the dr took any notice & if that happened to me I would sue them!

Dont take no for an answer, if your mum is under a hospice or has macmillan help see if they can get your mum tested to see which gene mutation it is that she has x"

We have a Macmillan nurse but they haven't mentioned gene testing my mum although they did tell me and my sister to ask about gene testing for us from our gp's.

I will ask them about my mums status and see if that changes my doctors mind. The GP was pretty set on unless I have two relatives one with breast cancer then I didn't qualify regardless of my mum being stage IV with ovarian.

Thank you for your information, I don't want to waste anyone's time but it is scary seeing my mum and thinking that could be me one day. I will ask the question xxx

By *ay_yes_to_pinkyWoman  over a year ago

manchester

I have been on these over a year due to four years of heavy constant bleeding due to pcos I found the first 3 months I was in so much pain and my boobs were so painful I'd cry and couldn't be touched. I went to my gp a few times for different painkillers as was not coping with the pain. But it was my hormones balancing out, since then not had any problems. can now pin point when it will be that time I have two days of cramps but normally stop before I come off my weekly break. Keep with it as long as you can and see if once you have adjusted things have calmed down.

By *ussex BJ QueenWoman  over a year ago

Dartford

" I tried the implant. Well, some people love it, but for my it was more painful than the Mirena! I had it removed after 3 months and it took the Dr 1hr 20 mins to remove it. (should take 5 mins) "

I had this problem when i had the first one fitted.. but it was due to the dr putting it in the wrong place and to deep. The nexplanon is safer as it comes in a device they use to insert it so it can't be inserted to deeply.

"Ladies

Mirena is the way to go. All of the female doctors have them so they can't all be wrong! I haven't had a period for 12 years with mine. The last five years btw.

I have the Mirena coil. The first one reduced my periods to a manageable flow and just under a week duration. This one has hasn't helped at all. A 26 day cycle, bleed for 10 days, 3 of which I have to double pad (night towels and tampons) and stay near toilets!

I'm trialling the mini pill (coil remains). Came off my period Sunday (the ten days) and started bleeding Tuesday, it continues. Apparently 75% of women stop bleeding... I always have to be in the minority .

"

You have my sympathy as I was in that 25% too. Both the nurse and consultant had them when they inserted mine and swore by it. Fortunately, for me, I eventually expelled it after 4 incredibly painful and unsuccessful months. I hope the mini pill works for you. I was inthe minority for that too.

» Add a new message to this topic