FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > correct testing windows and testing etiquette

correct testing windows and testing etiquette

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Firstly this is not a judgemental post neither is it intended to be controversial. Everybody is entitled to practice sex how they see fit. This is mainly for people who are interested in what the correct uk guidelines for std and HIV testing actually are.

Having recently gone through a state of panic after not taking the correct precautions with my sexual health I asked people on here for advice. After speaking with health professionals I was amazed to discover how wrong the general populous were with regards to testing and what they believe to be safe practice. Therefore I've decided to post this information for those who may be interested.

Gonorrhoea/chlamydia: can test after 1 week via swab or urine sample but not accurate. Test at 2 weeks for conclusive result.

Herpes: not usually tested for unless symptoms are present. Can be tested via swab or bloods.

Warts: symptomatic based testing, doctor will usually examine genitals during a sexual health check up.

HIV: both sexes should test for this despite statistics. 70,000 people are receiving treatment in the uk, only 30,000 are homosexuals. Although that said 1/17 gay and bisexual men carry the virus a statistic way higher than heterosexuals.

HIV testing: much confusion surrounds this subject. People believe 3-6 months is the testing window but this is far outdated. If you believe to have placed yourself at risk you can get prescribed PeP to suppress the virus but only within the first 72 hours of exposure. Following this you can accurately test via a 4th gen duo test at 4weeks (95% acc) and 6 weeks (99.7%). This should be followed up with a test at 3 months just to be sure that you have not fallen into the 0.3% as a false negative.

There are more tests for HIV but I'm just mentioning the uk guideline as there are so many others I'd be here all day.

Hepatitis and syphillis: testing can take place whenever you believe a symptom is present but unfortunately without symptoms an accurate result can only be obtained at 12 weeks as the antibody a can take time to start appearing.

Safe sec: although using a condom is excellent practice for safe sex it is by no means 100% protection. People avoid being tested because they say they've only ever used protection, unfortunately stds can still be passed. Sometimes microscopic breakdowns in the material if the condom can result in the passing of the virus or infection. Testing when regularly changing partners is always a safe way to ensure you remain sexually healthy.

Should anyone what any further info or anything explained in any further depth I am happy to answer questions privately.

Hope some find this helpful I know I'm about to receive some criticism but I thought id put this out there for the benefit of others.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Is that right? 1 in 17 bisexual men in the UK are HIV positive?

Mr ddc

By *ezjez369Man  over a year ago

london

[Removed by poster at 06/05/15 21:04:01]

By *ezjez369Man  over a year ago

london

Surely that revolves around bi guys admitting they are bi does it not?

How about the "I'm straight but like cock" brigade?

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Is that right? 1 in 17 bisexual men in the UK are HIV positive?

Mr ddc"

Blimey, so it is.

As high as 1 in 12 in London according to the Terrance Higgins Trust.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Why would you be criticised for passing on health advice? Most of us who get tested know it (I read the posters while I'm waiting for my results), but there are plenty of swingers who still won't get tested because they wear condoms.

Gay and bisexual men are the same category in HIV studies, that doesn't mean 1/17 bisexual men has HIV. Due to the fact they fall into the same category it would be impossible to say how many bisexuals actually carry the virus. Ultimately they are categorised the same as they expose themselves to the same level of risk as homosexual men, just because they sleep with women aswell doesn't mean they are of less risk. I don't wish to scaremonger though, it's a fairly difficult virus to transmit in comparison to other stds. But it's one that doesn't go away unfortunately.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They only have statistics on people that get tested.

They only have personal details of what people tell them, people can lie about sexual partners.

Or anything.

Therefore, statistics are total bollocks and an utter waste of time.

If they only take statistics from people that get tested then surely that's more concerning as the figures are likely to be worse. Anyhow, I'm not here to argue about statistics my original point was testing awareness is very poor even in this day and age.

[Removed by poster at 06/05/15 22:24:55]

"If they only take statistics from people that get tested then surely that's more concerning as the figures are likely to be worse. Anyhow, I'm not here to argue about statistics my original point was testing awareness is very poor even in this day and age. "

Would people who put themselves at more or a higher risk be more likely to get tested regularly?

"If they only take statistics from people that get tested then surely that's more concerning as the figures are likely to be worse. Anyhow, I'm not here to argue about statistics my original point was testing awareness is very poor even in this day and age. "

I agree. The number of idiots on here that think using a condom means they don't need to get tested... truly staggering and appalling.

Indeed.. 10 people get tested all clear, 0% infected woohoo!

10 people get tested, they are all HIV positive... oops 100% statistics. What will people do....

I certainly wouldnt say you were wrong but looking at it from another angle, I actually believe that the vast majority of sexually active people don't test. There's a high level of ignorance towards sexual health in the uk, the attitude is 'no symptoms no problem' . So I don't think it is as cut and dry as just higher risk people testing.any just test out of being health conscious and never actually have a thing.

But back to your original comment about to statistics you're right in terms that they will never be an exact science, but they certainly help us build a picture or idea of how likely or severe a risk is.

Please don't think my grumpiness is aimed at you personally OP because it's not at all. Apologies if I came across that way. x

Statistics just piss me off. It's not possible to extrapolate anything from their figures.

And I absolutely agree about the ignorance.

No I didn't think that, forums are designed for us to express our opinions on different subjects and that's all you did. I just hope that this thread hits home for a few that haven't tested.

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

Tested every 2 months. Why wouldn't you?

You're happy to answer questions privately? Going to GUM once has made you into some kind of expert?

I think it's admirable that you're using some of your newly acquired knowledge to try to raise awareness, but surely the underlying message should be for everyone to seek out information from the ACTUAL people with the knowledge and expertise to give you accurate and up to date information, not a stranger off the Internet with a snap shot of current practice from one experience?

Never at any point have I advised anyone that I'm more knowledgable than the GUM clinic.

The information I've provided actually encourages people to go to the GUM clinic and hopefully highlighted a few unknown risks.

I find it strange that you can somehow turn this around as if I'm actually doing something wrong.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

This kind of thing comes up regularly. Again I thank the OP for his good intention but please Admins, can we have a FAB approved sexual health website that we can link to? I once posted a link to a sexual health website on a thread similar to this and got a 48hr ban

I am no expert in epidemiology or public health, but I think that swingers are a different enough sexual community that I personally would like to see studies done specifically on swingers. I am only aware of a single sexual health study that has been completed on swingers and that was in the Netherlands, but unfortunately their methodology was so poor that their findings have generally been discredited.

I would have thought those that are able to read and post in forums knew how to access the likes of Google and the information they need no? surely it's easy to find a reliable site?

By *epper123Woman  over a year ago

London

"Never at any point have I advised anyone that I'm more knowledgable than the GUM clinic.

The information I've provided actually encourages people to go to the GUM clinic and hopefully highlighted a few unknown risks.

I find it strange that you can somehow turn this around as if I'm actually doing something wrong. "

I just think people don't generally like being told what to do. Most of us think we are adults and can make our decisions. We have also thought about it or chosen not to. I think some people may feel it is a bit patronising to have to be told.

There is no such thing as an up to date sexual health website on the internet and the bottom line is to visit the sexual health clinic or phone the advisor for that clinic.

The main reason I posted was because people kept talking about 6 months for HIV to show up when actually it's much much less than that so I just wanted to say people should be getting checked more regularly if they are putting themselves at risk.

"There is no such thing as an up to date sexual health website on the internet and the bottom line is to visit the sexual health clinic or phone the advisor for that clinic.

The main reason I posted was because people kept talking about 6 months for HIV to show up when actually it's much much less than that so I just wanted to say people should be getting checked more regularly if they are putting themselves at risk.

"

Since when did sharing useful information become patronising? This information may not be useful to you, but to others it is.

"There is no such thing as an up to date sexual health website on the internet and the bottom line is to visit the sexual health clinic or phone the advisor for that clinic.

Since when did sharing useful information become patronising? This information may not be useful to you, but to others it is. "

Don't worry about what strangers on the internet think of you. I understand why you posted.

Even if a few people get arsey saying it's patronising, if just one person finds it useful and they go find out more, then your post was useful.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"

The ones run by the NHS will be the same information given out by the clinics so why would they not be up to date? It's not as though the testing technology is developing quicker than a website can be updated, and signs and symptoms of the infections themselves won't change either.

The ones run by the NHS will be the same information given out by the clinics so why would they not be up to date? It's not as though the testing technology is developing quicker than a website can be updated, and signs and symptoms of the infections themselves won't change either."

Testing windows are rarely publicised and that's my original point. It's not the testing and symptoms that change it's the guidelines and recommendations of testing that do. They are forever changing and if you look at certain high profile sexual health websites they have not been updated since 2013.

"This kind of thing comes up regularly. Again I thank the OP for his good intention but please Admins, can we have a FAB approved sexual health website that we can link to? I once posted a link to a sexual health website on a thread similar to this and got a 48hr ban

I am no expert in epidemiology or public health, but I think that swingers are a different enough sexual community that I personally would like to see studies done specifically on swingers. I am only aware of a single sexual health study that has been completed on swingers and that was in the Netherlands, but unfortunately their methodology was so poor that their findings have generally been discredited. "

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Another recommendation is not to brush or floss your teeth for at least 45 mins/an hour before oral sex, for hiv infection prevention. Though oral sex is reportedly low risk than vaginal/anal sex. I think they also had a time lag on brushing/flossing after oral, of a similar time scale.

By *er himWoman  over a year ago

Essex

Thank you so much for the information Xx

Although we all want to have fun it's amazing how many people risk their health doing things they think will be ok. Can't tell you what I do for a living but trust me HIV is out there & it's not just gay men. Clean may mean clean & smelling nice doesn't mean you can't catch something as you took risks last meet!!!

By *airy_HettyWoman  over a year ago

Greater London

"Firstly this is not a judgemental post neither is it intended to be controversial. Everybody is entitled to practice sex how they see fit. This is mainly for people who are interested in what the correct uk guidelines for std and HIV testing actually are.

Having recently gone through a state of panic after not taking the correct precautions with my sexual health I asked people on here for advice. After speaking with health professionals I was amazed to discover how wrong the general populous were with regards to testing and what they believe to be safe practice. Therefore I've decided to post this information for those who may be interested.

Gonorrhoea/chlamydia: can test after 1 week via swab or urine sample but not accurate. Test at 2 weeks for conclusive result.

Herpes: not usually tested for unless symptoms are present. Can be tested via swab or bloods.

Warts: symptomatic based testing, doctor will usually examine genitals during a sexual health check up.

HIV: both sexes should test for this despite statistics. 70,000 people are receiving treatment in the uk, only 30,000 are homosexuals. Although that said 1/17 gay and bisexual men carry the virus a statistic way higher than heterosexuals.

HIV testing: much confusion surrounds this subject. People believe 3-6 months is the testing window but this is far outdated. If you believe to have placed yourself at risk you can get prescribed PeP to suppress the virus but only within the first 72 hours of exposure. Following this you can accurately test via a 4th gen duo test at 4weeks (95% acc) and 6 weeks (99.7%). This should be followed up with a test at 3 months just to be sure that you have not fallen into the 0.3% as a false negative.

There are more tests for HIV but I'm just mentioning the uk guideline as there are so many others I'd be here all day.

Hepatitis and syphillis: testing can take place whenever you believe a symptom is present but unfortunately without symptoms an accurate result can only be obtained at 12 weeks as the antibody a can take time to start appearing.

Safe sec: although using a condom is excellent practice for safe sex it is by no means 100% protection. People avoid being tested because they say they've only ever used protection, unfortunately stds can still be passed. Sometimes microscopic breakdowns in the material if the condom can result in the passing of the virus or infection. Testing when regularly changing partners is always a safe way to ensure you remain sexually healthy.

Should anyone what any further info or anything explained in any further depth I am happy to answer questions privately.

Hope some find this helpful I know I'm about to receive some criticism but I thought id put this out there for the benefit of others."

Thanks for posting this.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

" Testing when regularly changing partners is always a safe way to ensure you remain sexually healthy."

Every time one changes partners? Some people would have to move into the GUM clinic!

Useful advice OP, and I'm not criticising you for posting it. However, most of your advice, as you state, is for if people are symptomatic or believe they have exposed themselves to risk.

Given that you then point out that condoms are not 100% guaranteed to prevent the transmission of infections, every time anyone has sex they are exposing themselves to risk, (even those in monogamous relationships could actually be cheating).

It's not feasible to be tested every time one has sex - not for most people anyway - so a reasonable time frame, based on how sexually active one is, is going to have to be chosen, even if it's not the absolute, technically safest ideal.

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple  over a year ago

penrhiwceiber

" Testing when regularly changing partners is always a safe way to ensure you remain sexually healthy.

Every time one changes partners? Some people would have to move into the GUM clinic!

Useful advice OP, and I'm not criticising you for posting it. However, most of your advice, as you state, is for if people are symptomatic or believe they have exposed themselves to risk.

Given that you then point out that condoms are not 100% guaranteed to prevent the transmission of infections, every time anyone has sex they are exposing themselves to risk, (even those in monogamous relationships could actually be cheating).

It's not feasible to be tested every time one has sex - not for most people anyway - so a reasonable time frame, based on how sexually active one is, is going to have to be chosen, even if it's not the absolute, technically safest ideal."

Its feasible to get tested everytime you have sex if you are a single guy on fab, and this is the only place you might get laid every once a year or so

Since when did sharing useful information become patronising? This information may not be useful to you, but to others it is. "

I thought it was useful and informative, thank you for posting it. And yes, I could have found a lot of this stuff myself but that doesn't mean your post wasn't relevant.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

" Testing when regularly changing partners is always a safe way to ensure you remain sexually healthy.

It's not feasible to be tested every time one has sex - not for most people anyway - so a reasonable time frame, based on how sexually active one is, is going to have to be chosen, even if it's not the absolute, technically safest ideal.

Its feasible to get tested everytime you have sex if you are a single guy on fab, and this is the only place you might get laid every once a year or so "

Haha, which is why I qualified it with "for most people"

» Add a new message to this topic