FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Contraception

Contraception

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

We've recently come back to the scene after an enforced break. Previously I was on the pill, and of course, always insisted on condoms when playing. Due to medical reasons I can't take the pill (or any other hormone related contraception methods) anymore. I'm wondering what other ladies on here feel about contraception and how confident they feel about playing if they are just relying on a condom. I'm in two minds here... I've always treated condoms as backup contraception in the past - more protection against stds than against pregnancy but now things have changed. How confident do others feel about relying on condoms as their only form of contraception (if the worst happens and one breaks which I have known in the past I can't take the morning after pill, although that could be the least of my worries if that happened)? I guess I'm looking for a bit of confidence building more than anything - had to face a lot of changes in the last year and getting my confidence back is taking a while.

Thanks everyone...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Would never rely solely on condoms for contraception, not when meeting strangers anyway. Have you considered sterilisation?

"We've recently come back to the scene after an enforced break. Previously I was on the pill, and of course, always insisted on condoms when playing. Due to medical reasons I can't take the pill (or any other hormone related contraception methods) anymore. I'm wondering what other ladies on here feel about contraception and how confident they feel about playing if they are just relying on a condom. I'm in two minds here... I've always treated condoms as backup contraception in the past - more protection against stds than against pregnancy but now things have changed. How confident do others feel about relying on condoms as their only form of contraception (if the worst happens and one breaks which I have known in the past I can't take the morning after pill, although that could be the least of my worries if that happened)? I guess I'm looking for a bit of confidence building more than anything - had to face a lot of changes in the last year and getting my confidence back is taking a while.

Thanks everyone..."

im on the depo injection

i would never reply on just condoms, tho ive never had a condom split on me i have had it a few times where it has come off inside, ok its not like it happens regular but it only needs to happen once to get pregnant, its just not worth the risk

If i genuinly couldnt use contraception i would go and get sterilized as i dont want anymore kids anyway

can you not use the coil? im not very up in contraception to be honest lol

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

We're trying for a baby, so just relying on condoms. It's been a long time since we've had one split on us (and that was when it was just us) We tended to find they split when we were being 'vigourous' and not using enough lube so we've learnt from that. Used carefully, they're safe, but I wouldn't tihnk we'd rely on them alone if we weren't in the situation we are right now.

We don't swing often, and will have to stop soon when we start fertility treatment.

*Her*

There are some things your mum couldn't advise you on let alone faceless strangers: and this is one of them.

Only you can decide if you want to risk a "condom malfunction" which could result in you becoming pregnant. The risk is small granted, but is it a gamble you want to take?

This is a conversation for you and your other half.

Good luck!

How about the coil?

I have never relied on condoms as the only means of contraception.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Condoms for me are to help prevent STI's.

I use the pill for pregnancy control.

By *inktherapyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

I used solely condoms as a means of contraception after my youngest was born last year, including with some swinging meets (although one of them had had a vasectomy many years earlier) - I was generally ok with it - but it is something for you and your other half to decide..

I have the Mirena coil, but my guy has had a vasectomy, the reason I had the coil was to stop my periods to be honest, and condoms are used as a protection against STI's. Im sure you've had the discussion with your doctor in relation to what contraception you can use. The Mirena coil does have hormones attached but Im not sure if they all do, the copper type coils etc

By *ittle-Miss-MuffetCouple  over a year ago

Chester / North Wales

"I have the Mirena coil, but my guy has had a vasectomy, the reason I had the coil was to stop my periods to be honest, and condoms are used as a protection against STI's. Im sure you've had the discussion with your doctor in relation to what contraception you can use. The Mirena coil does have hormones attached but Im not sure if they all do, the copper type coils etc "

I have coil. Most of them DO have a hormone release these days to make them extra effective but they are extremely low dose (I can't take the Pill any more for the same reason as the Op I'm guessing but have had no problems with the coil).

As for relying solely on condoms, as said before, pregnancy would be the least of your worries and if there was a condom malfunction then with regards to STD's then it wouldn't make any difference if you were using something else or not.

Statistically, condoms are supposed to be 92-98% effective at pregnancy prevention when used correctly...

A Coil/IUD would be a non-hormonal option, or a cap/diaphragm which is also useful for having sex when you're on if you want to stem the flow...

You could also try avoiding playing around dangerous times. I know my fertile time to the day..and can avoid meets if I was just using condoms..

Having said that I now have the implant fitted as well. I would never soley rely on condoms.

Katie.x

I was sterlised at 22 because of 'issues' with hormones and contraceptives.

Can have IVF though so not all bad.

NEver looked back to be honest.

At your age, and not being rude, I'd do the same...to be safe

Ems.x

I had to come off the injection as I was gaining too much weight 4 stone in the last year went from size 18 to 24 not good so having a break and back to diet and exercise as i am feeling uncomfortable and totally bloated was due to go on implant but going to give my body a rest for a while so for now condoms only. I wonder when you dont have your monthly cycle where does it go does your body just store it.

"There are some things your mum couldn't advise you on let alone faceless strangers: and this is one of them.

Only you can decide if you want to risk a "condom malfunction" which could result in you becoming pregnant. The risk is small granted, but is it a gamble you want to take?

This is a conversation for you and your other half.

Good luck! "

I agree. This is more to do with you and your partner and whether you want to have children/more children in the future. Also, you being comfortable in this lifestyle with such factors being an issue.

I hope you find a suitable solution.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks for all your comments. It's something we've discussed as a couple at length. OH had the snip last year once we were told I couldn't use anything hormone related any more (medical treatment last year means I may have hit the menopause but equally the effects could be temporary so shouldn't risk getting pregnant). Difficult really to decide what's best as don't want any more operations for a while. This is one of the reasons we're soft swing only... For some reason my body's against me doing what I want to do!

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

We've both experienced condoms splitting when younger and we're surprised how many women we swing with use them for contraception as well as protection against infections. Sex with condoms is fine for swinging but fucking without them is one of the things that makes our relationship special. One of G's early girlfriends used the cap for contraception and apart from having to leave it in for a few hours after sex, it worked fine.

» Add a new message to this topic