FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > People you may know

People you may know

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

On fb, has suddenly suggested loads of people who I have messaged over the years from my phone ! I don't have my number linked in any way to fb! Now worry I am appearing on people's suggestions also !

Anyone know anything about this !

I know not fab related

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"On fb, has suddenly suggested loads of people who I have messaged over the years from my phone ! I don't have my number linked in any way to fb! Now worry I am appearing on people's suggestions also !

Anyone know anything about this !

I know not fab related "

I have the same thing I think it iPhone it happens to more

Un sync your phone contacts with Facebook & remove your mobile from your personal details.

Facebook have ways of getting at your contacts lol

By *olden RatioWoman  over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

I use KIK only now, after a Fabs contact appeared on my LinkedIn "suggested contacts" page.

"Facebook have ways of getting at your contacts lol"

Facebook is a vile and insidious thing.....MI5 and GCHQ monitor all communications there too.....

(Don't you love conspiracy theories?)

By *ougar_n_TILFCouple  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

As a precious poster said, sounds like your phone contacts have been uploaded to Facebook. When you first got the phone and setup the app it would have asked you if you wanted it to sync your contacts to it. You should be able to undo it from the app settings menu. That'll probably stop it happening in future for new contacts, not sure if won't still see people from before though.

By *ougar_n_TILFCouple  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

Previous not precious

No contacts are not synced I made sure of that

"No contacts are not synced I made sure of that "

Do you sync with whatssap?

"No contacts are not synced I made sure of that

Do you sync with whatssap?"

No I don't do that either , I did once and loads of random people appeared on my what'sap !

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I wonder if they would turn up on people you may if they have synced your phone number with facebook?

I've never had my phone number on facebook and this happens to me, and google plus i saw some guys i've met in the recommended contacts. dunno how it happens but it's a huge invasion of privacy.

"I wonder if they would turn up on people you may if they have synced your phone number with facebook?"

Had not thought of that ....

I've emailed what'sap as I'm not happy at all , not good hey ! I don't want to have to resort to deleting what'sap or fb

If you read the small print you will certainly find you've agreed to this.

I refuse to join Facebook. Full stop.

LinkedIn also trawls your contacts. I only ever create contacts when I have dealings with people, and never accept LinkedIn's suggestions. (Also there are a lot of bogus LinkedIn phishing emails.)

Same applies to other social media I expect.

Always read what you're clicking on.

And try to keep your business separate from your fun

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I had to delete Instagram as when I joined (and I made sure I used the not sync contacts option), it let contacts know I had just opened an insta account.

It really scared me and its a shame too...

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

It's a main reason for not having a facepic

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

It surprises me how many people want to become friends on fb, more on the northern scene than south but still surprising. Just not something I'd do with people from a sex site after a couple of meets or social meet even.

I have crossed that bridge with 3 people but only after knowing them over a year and becoming friends in real life outside of the scene. I have high filters on everything but having been stalked twice I just don't think you can do anything but be uber cautious sadly

It's a scary world out there big brother

By *herryhott1Man  over a year ago

Cork

"I wonder if they would turn up on people you may if they have synced your phone number with facebook?"

Yeah it's this. It's other people that had you in their contacts (provided u input ur mobile number when signing up for FB).

All the more reason if u need to be careful for a totally separate swing phone

Thing is , don't have my number on fb at all :/

By *irty130Couple  over a year ago

Bristol Area

I sometimes wonder if people who stalk you on FB come up in that list. It would make sense right, that someone who looks at your profile over and over might be "someone you know". There's no other way my ex boyfriend would have shown up in my Instagram suggestions!

"I sometimes wonder if people who stalk you on FB come up in that list. It would make sense right, that someone who looks at your profile over and over might be "someone you know". There's no other way my ex boyfriend would have shown up in my Instagram suggestions! "

i just think all these apps are really intrusive, and they keep data going back years for some reason.

if you download the popular apps to your phone they access everything in your phone (this is in terms and conditions). some things like pics they have to ask for permission so you can upload them but all the personal details they just access them as soon as you agree to terms.

and it is true deleted accounts are kept also.

sometimes i play those games on fb (where you match up with freinds, like who is your best mate type of game) and deleted accounts have matched up sometimes.

"Thing is , don't have my number on fb at all :/"

You don't need your phone number to be in Facebook, all you would need is for thier's to be on it and and then it's using the contact information from your phone against phone numbers on Facebook and suggesting any matches.

If your phone number is not on there, they shouldn't have you recomended in reverse (I say shouldn't, if you know someone who's been proposed as a friend and you trust them, ask them if you show on theirs to double check).

If you don't like it your options are limited to

*Delete facebook account

*Block anyone on Facebook thats been proposed as a new friend

*Delete the contacts from your phone

*Get a entirely separate phone used solely for swinging, don't ever touch Facebook on it or it will do the same thing.

Facebook have stated that they have no intention of stopping how they search and suggest friends so if you don't like it your kind of stuffed I'm afraid

"I sometimes wonder if people who stalk you on FB come up in that list. It would make sense right, that someone who looks at your profile over and over might be "someone you know". There's no other way my ex boyfriend would have shown up in my Instagram suggestions! "

It also uses location data to suggest people you know as well, if you are in similar areas, and have checked in at the same place, or have given it location access, it suggests others near by.

The two choices I have are block the people or delete face book I think .

As the contacts are no longer in my phone and haven't been for some time

Crazy hey

"and it is true deleted accounts are kept also.

sometimes i play those games on fb (where you match up with freinds, like who is your best mate type of game) and deleted accounts have matched up sometimes."

That's where the account hasn't been deleted but just deactivated, they would need to make a request (silly but true) to delete the account otherwise all the data photos names details etc are still kept just dormant

sometimes i play those games on fb (where you match up with freinds, like who is your best mate type of game) and deleted accounts have matched up sometimes.

That's where the account hasn't been deleted but just deactivated, they would need to make a request (silly but true) to delete the account otherwise all the data photos names details etc are still kept just dormant"

it was an account facebook itself deleted last year and not the account owner, that's how i now know they keep deleted accounts.

That's where the account hasn't been deleted but just deactivated, they would need to make a request (silly but true) to delete the account otherwise all the data photos names details etc are still kept just dormant

it was an account facebook itself deleted last year and not the account owner, that's how i now know they keep deleted accounts."

That's quite unusual, usually they do delete the account, generally when they tell someone it's being deleted it's done within the 90 day time frame, though sometimes they just deactivate and say you need to delete it or provide details to reactivate it, in that instance bits like your friends would still remain

By *tephenBunChowMan  over a year ago

Haywards heath/Waterlooville

If you use an android device, on Marshmallow which is Android 6 their operating system, you can now change and manage app permissions. i.e. Location, contacts, photos, camera, microphone etc. Facebook, LinkedIn are the biggest scumbags accessing contacts. Did you know Facebook can and also automatically activate your microphone and eavesdrop your conversations if you install their app?

"If you use an android device, on Marshmallow which is Android 6 their operating system, you can now change and manage app permissions. i.e. Location, contacts, photos, camera, microphone etc. Facebook, LinkedIn are the biggest scumbags accessing contacts. Did you know Facebook can and also automatically activate your microphone and eavesdrop your conversations if you install their app? "

Any application that you grant access to your microphone has that possibility, Google, camera apps, phone dialers, kids games, etc etc

Op. We exchanged numbers ages ago and I didn't keep your number but you appear on my people you might know on face book

Obviously I haven't sent or messaged you on there

Ps. Hope the op is who I think it is as profile hidden lol

it was an account facebook itself deleted last year and not the account owner, that's how i now know they keep deleted accounts.

That's quite unusual, usually they do delete the account, generally when they tell someone it's being deleted it's done within the 90 day time frame, though sometimes they just deactivate and say you need to delete it or provide details to reactivate it, in that instance bits like your friends would still remain"

well i'm not sure of the exact delete process when fb does it itself (because the page broke fb rules), but it seems they don't actually delete it, despite nobody being able to login and no-one can access it either.

it turns up in games what pick your friends out as results though, which is weird.

"Op. We exchanged numbers ages ago and I didn't keep your number but you appear on my people you might know on face book

Ps. Hope the op is who I think it is as profile hidden lol "

Yes it's me and you're on mine as well X

"Op. We exchanged numbers ages ago and I didn't keep your number but you appear on my people you might know on face book

Ps. Hope the op is who I think it is as profile hidden lol "

I've just done something on fb after loads of searching , can you see if I still come up ? Xx

By *ornyPair09Couple  over a year ago

durham

Isn't it because of WhatsApp, I seem to remember Facebook buying WhatsApp and it connects contacts from there and suggests friends regardless of synching contacts.

"Isn't it because of WhatsApp, I seem to remember Facebook buying WhatsApp and it connects contacts from there and suggests friends regardless of synching contacts. "

I see . So even old what'sap contacts ? Who I don't have any more ?

My next door neighbour came up earlier and we haven't got each other's number , weird

"Isn't it because of WhatsApp, I seem to remember Facebook buying WhatsApp and it connects contacts from there and suggests friends regardless of synching contacts.

I see . So even old what'sap contacts ? Who I don't have any more ?

My next door neighbour came up earlier and we haven't got each other's number , weird "

It uses location data as well to make suggestions

By *herryhott1Man  over a year ago

Cork

"Thing is , don't have my number on fb at all :/"

Same principal with your email (or however else you registered) in their contacts maybe?

"Thing is , don't have my number on fb at all :/

Same principal with your email (or however else you registered) in their contacts maybe?"

A couple maybe from that yes

Delete Facebook app and use the web browser for Facebook.

The app has far too much invasive power.

My 50pence worth

» Add a new message to this topic