FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Internet Security & Fab.

Internet Security & Fab.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *etitesara OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

I've seen on another thread that you can be identified on here via Facebook - can someone please explain to this technophobe how this can be done?

I'm fairly out, and I have friend who is on here & knows I am too so not too bothered about being outed, just curious.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't think a lot of it has anything to do with anything to sinister or techy. Some folk are just too willing to give away to much information about themselves. Name, where they stay etc. It doesn't take much to find someone on Facebook even using the most basic of information. Also, Facebook privacy settings, or lack of, can make it easy to find someone also.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"I've seen on another thread that you can be identified on here via Facebook - can someone please explain to this technophobe how this can be done?

I'm fairly out, and I have friend who is on here & knows I am too so not too bothered about being outed, just curious."

If you used the same photo on here that you do on facebook or twitter etc it would be quite easy to image search and find your accounts. Also if you swap numbers and use whatsapp it can link you if you told Facebook your mobile number. ( For security! Lmao!)

You can't be identified on here via Facebook. However , if you use some of the same pics on both people could do a reverse image search . If you give your number to people from here and that's connected to your Facebook- they can find you that way too

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

If you have someone's phone number or email address in your contacts, Facebook will usually show them as people you may know. This also then suggests friends of these people.

Not sure if you can change your settings so Facebook doesn't use your contacts to find people.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Some people use that same pics on here as they do on FB.

They tell people where they work or went to school and have added them selves to their employers/school FB page. A quick scroll through of that page to find the same first name.

They have linked their phone number or email address to FB and give you that number, it only takes a quick number search to find you.

And many more.

By *etitesara OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

Ah, more of a problem with FB than Fab then?

Not a problem as my male persona certainly doesn't use the same pic & my phone number isn't on there either.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

If someone knows your real name, your phone number and has a picture of you and any one of these things are the same as you use on face book they can find you.

It pays to be deeply cynical on t'internet.

"I've seen on another thread that you can be identified on here via Facebook - can someone please explain to this technophobe how this can be done?

I'm fairly out, and I have friend who is on here & knows I am too so not too bothered about being outed, just curious."

I have heard this too, I suspect that facebook is far too intrusive and links peoples' phone numbers and photos together. The secret is not to allow your phone number on either here or there and don't post the same photos in either place, that way you will reduce the chances of being outed. You would be surprised how silly people can be on here too. One guy I met on here used his real surname as a username, then told me his real first name when we met. Quick foray onto facebook and I knew far more about him than he might have liked me to know. I told him and he swiftly changed his username.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm fairly out, and I have friend who is on here & knows I am too so not too bothered about being outed, just curious.

I have heard this too, I suspect that facebook is far too intrusive and links peoples' phone numbers and photos together. The secret is not to allow your phone number on either here or there and don't post the same photos in either place, that way you will reduce the chances of being outed. You would be surprised how silly people can be on here too. One guy I met on here used his real surname as a username, then told me his real first name when we met. Quick foray onto facebook and I knew far more about him than he might have liked me to know. I told him and he swiftly changed his username. "

Facebook will sync your phone number and email address to other apps etc that you use, unless you tell it not to via security settings.

All those "people you might know" that pop up are found that way.

By *orum TrollWoman  over a year ago

•+• Access Denied •+•

i've found many peoples facebook via whatsapp, it just shows their facebook link. i go to their page and block them so they can't see me, most of them have girlfriends i noticed.

What others have said.

I don't give my full name. My phone number and email address are removed from my Facebook account so I can't be found that way. I use kik messenger predominantly when talking to people from this site (swapping numbers very very rarely & selectively). It definitely pays to be protective of yourself.

Either. .

Image search

Or

Give someone your phone number that's linked to your fb account.

I'm no IT expert - but consider the following:

If you use your mobile phone - be aware in the settings, which social media app, you allow to access your contacts.

Facebook

LinkedIn

WhatsApp

Twitter

all cross reference, and its easy to encounter, suggested contacts - that may cause concern, professionally PR personally.

check your settings on phone - privacy - and limit or remove, ability to access contacts.

Don't use your Fab Images, anywhere else.

Change settings on camera - privacy - location, so that you do not disclose personal info - that can be cross referenced, by social media apps.

Ideally, do not use Fabs on any mobile device, that also has your day to day details and "normal life" info.

Ensure your email address used - is not used anywhere else, and is unique and non identifying, if possible.

Use an email alias - if you have to, just don't use it elsewhere. Same goes for passwords.

"If you have someone's phone number or email address in your contacts, Facebook will usually show them as people you may know. This also then suggests friends of these people.

Not sure if you can change your settings so Facebook doesn't use your contacts to find people. "

This

You need to go to settings on facebook to turn off the 'let people find you by email and phone'

Luckily I never give my number out, except a lady friend and she came up on my Facebook as 'people you know',so I changed my settings.

"I'm no IT expert - but consider the following:

If you use your mobile phone - be aware in the settings, which social media app, you allow to access your contacts.

Facebook

LinkedIn

WhatsApp

Twitter

all cross reference, and its easy to encounter, suggested contacts - that may cause concern, professionally PR personally.

check your settings on phone - privacy - and limit or remove, ability to access contacts.

Don't use your Fab Images, anywhere else.

Change settings on camera - privacy - location, so that you do not disclose personal info - that can be cross referenced, by social media apps.

Ideally, do not use Fabs on any mobile device, that also has your day to day details and "normal life" info.

Ensure your email address used - is not used anywhere else, and is unique and non identifying, if possible.

Use an email alias - if you have to, just don't use it elsewhere. Same goes for passwords.

"

+1

It's basic security. Also, make sure you clock the setting on here that allows your fab profile to be show on search engines

By *obin_and_marionMan  over a year ago

Beaconsfield

Also bear in mind how much you give away in the course of ordinary chat...

The town you used to live in

Where you were born

What job you do

That you've got a mate that was on x factor

Your car

What type of house you live in

The funny name of your neighbours wifi

The name of a pub you go to from work

That you live near a football stadium...

Whatever....

All of it is info that if someone was serious enough about tracking you down they could.

"Also bear in mind how much you give away in the course of ordinary chat...

The town you used to live in

Where you were born

What job you do

That you've got a mate that was on x factor

Your car

What type of house you live in

The funny name of your neighbours wifi

The name of a pub you go to from work

That you live near a football stadium...

Whatever....

All of it is info that if someone was serious enough about tracking you down they could. "

And to possibly guess your banking security details.

Well i don't have the same picture on here as Facebook...different rules on whats allowed

Also separate email accounts and set up Facebook to need a phone number to log in and give facebook a false date of birth and birthplace otherwise easy to nick ypur identity for fraud

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

I use facebook on my pc though never on my phone. I have always wondered how I am scrolling a news feed and my facebook picture would be in the comments section. I have just disabled this through the top right corner of facebook settings apps apps, plug-ins, websites.

Wanted to say how helpful this post was as I was unaware of reverse searching etc.

» Add a new message to this topic