FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Gym workout

Gym workout

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *xywelshguy OP   Man  over a year ago

Bridgend

Hi, I have started going to the gym and have been doing weights but I really need a routine.

Can anyone give me a good gym routine? My aim is to gain on my upper body, arms, chest and abs.

Any advise would be most appreciated, thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ubybabyCouple  over a year ago

lincoln ish

Surely you would ask at your gym

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Surely you would ask at your gym "

Just what I was thinking

Personal trainers, google, and YouTube would be my first stops.

Don't miss leg day, you'll look like a potato on cocktail sticks !

Tons of info on bodybuilding dot com

"Don't miss leg day, you'll look like a potato on cocktail sticks !"

This, the amount of guys transformation photoshoots I've done where they've totally neglected legs is amazing. It looks really unbalanced and rather silly.

Been told to do Back n legs I've started doing this on a two week basis hopefully I get silmlar results to you.

Mon Legs, triceps

Tue Chest, bicepcs

Wed Back

Thu Shoulders, triceps

And eat 20x your bodyweight, so a 180lb guy should eat 3500kcal and to get ripped, go on a 12 week cyckle and every 2 weeks lower your calories by 300

Bridgend

Thanks, was kinda hoping for something more specific?

Say I'm standing in the gym now, how many reps, of which weight and machinery, thanks

"Thanks, was kinda hoping for something more specific?

Say I'm standing in the gym now, how many reps, of which weight and machinery, thanks "

Impossible question to answer without knowing you and your training history really which is why you'd be better asking a member of staff at your gym but if you want to bulk up then stick to heavy compound movements such as bench press, military press etc in the medium rep range, 6 to 10 reps.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"Tons of info on bodybuilding dot com"

This site. Helps me loads.

By *ocoaXXXMan  over a year ago

London

Best thing would be first to watch youtube videos, theres loads of them. Then when you get into the gym and know what you are going to do, you can choose the best weight for you

Say I'm standing in the gym now, how many reps, of which weight and machinery, thanks "

Gee weez dude ... want us to build your muscles for you too ??

Do your research.

Bridgend

Ok thanks guys, have a better idea now, just wasn't clued up at all before, sounds like I'm not far off tho, currently doing 4 sets of 10 reps bench press at 75kg, sound Ok?

Only been doing this for about a week

By *ocoaXXXMan  over a year ago

London

Its doesnt matter if we are okay with it, its how you feel.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Don't ignore your back. Nor your legs, as someone pointed out, so you don't look chicken legged.

Overtraining is a major mistake many make. If you're not particularly fit, 3 x 1 hours per week would be fine. Do some cardio too, so that your fitness improves - but keep this separate, unless a trainer includes it within a programme

By *esparate danMan  over a year ago

glasgow

Hope all this advice is getting you off OP

Loads of ways to go about it.

My 3 preferred options would be one of the below

Push,pull,legs

Upper lower split

3 X per week full body

Get on some bodybuilding forums and have a read, loads of info out there. And eat, lots.

And as others have said don't neglect legs, a good set of wheels is important if you want some size up top, looks stupid with chicken legs.

By *hinypants77Man  over a year ago

Leeds

The only exercise I believe in is bench press.

Monday is international bench press day.

"Tons of info on bodybuilding dot com"

Yum xx

"Tons of info on bodybuilding dot "
I am also on it and it got a forum too.

there's a big difference between being fit and healthy and body building so you should start by thinking about what you're trying to achieve first.

the two websites are a good place to start if you're looking for fitness.

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/conditon.htm

http://www.exrx.net/

By *ojos party boyMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

"Don't miss leg day, you'll look like a potato on cocktail sticks !"

Im the opposite way around lol

"Tons of info on bodybuilding dot I am also on it and it got a forum too."

Yup good way to go,.

For me it's

Chest tri and abs

Back bic

Shoulders abs

Everything second a week leg day added.

Each session is 2 hrs, with little fucking around.

X

Check out jay cutlers motivtion video for inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJWN9eZHBo

Bridgend

Any advise for good gains on the upper pecs?

"Any advise for good gains on the upper pecs? "

You can't isolate an individual part of your pecs. Exercising them uses the whole muscle regardless.

"Hi, I have started going to the gym and have been doing weights but I really need a routine.

Can anyone give me a good gym routine? My aim is to gain on my upper body, arms, chest and abs.

Any advise would be most appreciated, thanks "

My advice is don't be one of those guys that skips legs haha

In all seriousness though just google it, there are tonnes of workout routines available to find online for whatever body part your aiming to work on, you even get apps that allow you to create your own by selecting from a range of excercises

"Any advise for good gains on the upper pecs?

You can't isolate an individual part of your pecs. Exercising them uses the whole muscle regardless.

"

You can hit the upper pecs by doing incline and working at an angle closer to a shoulder press so, sorry but your wrong there

Bridgend

Ok thanks for the great advise lads

You can hit the upper pecs by doing incline and working at an angle closer to a shoulder press so, sorry but your wrong there "

I know most think this but you are still using the whole muscle regardless of bench angle.

"Hi, I have started going to the gym and have been doing weights but I really need a routine.

Recommend Les Mills Body Pump for all over work out.

You can hit the upper pecs by doing incline and working at an angle closer to a shoulder press so, sorry but your wrong there

I know most think this but you are still using the whole muscle regardless of bench angle."

The point is your very rarely entirely isolating a single muscle it's more what your working primarily and secondary, depending on angle you will work a different part of the muscle more than the other, this is all that's meant when people try to isolate a muscle

I know most think this but you are still using the whole muscle regardless of bench angle.

The point is your very rarely entirely isolating a single muscle it's more what your working primarily and secondary, depending on angle you will work a different part of the muscle more than the other, this is all that's meant when people try to isolate a muscle "

I know that, what I can't stand is those that are adamant you can only exercise the top or the bottom of your pecs, instead of as you said placing more emphasis on a part of them. Also can't stand quarter squatters and those that don't do legs.

The point is your very rarely entirely isolating a single muscle it's more what your working primarily and secondary, depending on angle you will work a different part of the muscle more than the other, this is all that's meant when people try to isolate a muscle

I know that, what I can't stand is those that are adamant you can only exercise the top or the bottom of your pecs, instead of as you said placing more emphasis on a part of them. Also can't stand quarter squatters and those that don't do legs.

"

It's a pet hate of mine aswell, the quarter squatters I am all for it if they are wanting to just focus on their quads but the fact that most beleive they are actually doing a full squat is hilarious, it would be like bragging about the amount you can box squat, who gives a fuck and breathe haha rant over

Oh don't get me started on the people that wear belts when lifting fuck all or even doing an exercise that doesn't require it at all

It's a pet hate of mine aswell, the quarter squatters I am all for it if they are wanting to just focus on their quads but the fact that most beleive they are actually doing a full squat is hilarious, it would be like bragging about the amount you can box squat, who gives a fuck and breathe haha rant over

Oh don't get me started on the people that wear belts when lifting fuck all or even doing an exercise that doesn't require it at all "

It keeps me entertained when I'm training watching the muppets.

Oh don't get me started on the people that wear belts when lifting fuck all or even doing an exercise that doesn't require it at all "

Sometimes, when you get older and your knees are so painful that they prevent you from doing full squats any more, then you have to settle for box squats

"

You can target different ares of the pecks

Incline bench press is more on the upper peck, deline the lower pecs, flat is the middle maily.

wide dumbell flies do the outer pecks and pressing the palms of your hands together or squeezing something between your hands does the middle (cleavage area)

You can target different ares of the pecks

Incline bench press is more on the upper peck, deline the lower pecs, flat is the middle maily.

wide dumbell flies do the outer pecks and pressing the palms of your hands together or squeezing something between your hands does the middle (cleavage area)"

We covered this above, you can't fully isolate an individual area, put more emphasis on yes but any chest pressing uses the whole muscle.

Oh don't get me started on the people that wear belts when lifting fuck all or even doing an exercise that doesn't require it at all

Sometimes, when you get older and your knees are so painful that they prevent you from doing full squats any more, then you have to settle for box squats "

No issue with people in that position. It's those doing quarter squats with 180kg claiming it to be a full rep pb that piss us off.

Hubby's tuppence is to just get strong. Build a good foundation using compound lifts and get form right. Google GSLP/531LP/SL5x5 etc. Jump on a linear strength programme for a while and milk it for all it's worth. Size will come with that to a point. When you get strong, then major in the minors

Saying that Hubby has a big old belly and just enjoys throwing barbells around!

Concentrate on compound movements. And try something like 5x5 with a little isolation thrown in

Emphasise compounds and getting your strength up on those lifts. You'll grow

I've got a physical job so don't go gym. But I do eat very healthy 98% of the time small and often.

Nutrition is just as important if not more important than the exercise.

"Mon Legs, triceps

Tue Chest, bicepcs

Wed Back

Thu Shoulders, triceps

And eat 20x your bodyweight, so a 180lb guy should eat 3500kcal and to get ripped, go on a 12 week cyckle and every 2 weeks lower your calories by 300 "

3500kcal? How many haribos is that!

"Concentrate on compound movements. And try something like 5x5 with a little isolation thrown in

Emphasise compounds and getting your strength up on those lifts. You'll grow"

Describe a compound exercise

Just go on youtube, lots of videos showing you exactly what to do.

"Concentrate on compound movements. And try something like 5x5 with a little isolation thrown in

Emphasise compounds and getting your strength up on those lifts. You'll grow

Describe a compound exercise "

Typically multi joint exercises that use more than one muscle group. Bench, squats, deadlift, bent row, over head press

Sometimes, when you get older and your knees are so painful that they prevent you from doing full squats any more, then you have to settle for box squats

No issue with people in that position. It's those doing quarter squats with 180kg claiming it to be a full rep pb that piss us off."

Why would it piss you off . Why worry how others are training ?

No issue with people in that position. It's those doing quarter squats with 180kg claiming it to be a full rep pb that piss us off. Why would it piss you off . Why worry how others are training ? "

Maybe not the right words, just makes you laugh sometimes.

I don't worry how others train at all but I do get comical enjoyment from watching the muppets.

"Mon Legs, triceps

Tue Chest, bicepcs

Wed Back

Thu Shoulders, triceps

And eat 20x your bodyweight, so a 180lb guy should eat 3500kcal and to get ripped, go on a 12 week cyckle and every 2 weeks lower your calories by 300

3500kcal? How many haribos is that! "

Not sure, but it would be few bags, about 5 lol.

By *eady and Willing 9Man  over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

You have to do your legs too though remember?.

By *eady and Willing 9Man  over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Mon Legs, triceps

Tue Chest, bicepcs

Wed Back

Thu Shoulders, triceps

3500kcal? How many haribos is that! Not sure, but it would be few bags, about 5 lol."

Love it lol

You can hit the upper pecs by doing incline and working at an angle closer to a shoulder press so, sorry but your wrong there "

You can absolutely isolate both upper and lower pec.

Try pec deck with seat as high as possible without hitting your head, holding both handles do single are fly motion but the key is bringing it past the midpoint of the chest.

Also use a incline press machine single arm but facing the side not forward pushing across your chest, key is a pushing up and across your chest towards the other shoulder.

Not sure if I'm explaining very well,

But have a play

You can absolutely isolate both upper and lower pec.

Try pec deck with seat as high as possible without hitting your head, holding both handles do single are fly motion but the key is bringing it past the midpoint of the chest.

Also use a incline press machine single arm but facing the side not forward pushing across your chest, key is a pushing up and across your chest towards the other shoulder.

Not sure if I'm explaining very well,

But have a play "

Just to make it clear you will of course hit the whole chest and maybe isolation is the wrong wording but you can switch the focus of the movement to top or bottom of the chest.

So essentially no you can't totally isolate a part of the chest as you would a bicep but you can change the focus of the movement.

Hope that kinda clarifies my point haha

"Mon Legs, triceps

Tue Chest, bicepcs

Wed Back

Thu Shoulders, triceps

3500kcal? How many haribos is that! Not sure, but it would be few bags, about 5 lol.

Love it lol"

Yes, if it fits in your macros lol.

WTF

By *otandStickyCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Mmmm, I need a fitness program...I know I'll ask in a swinging forum!

WTAF!

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

London

Can't tell you what weight but disciple is key stick to your plan come rain, sun or snow. sets of 2 as a beginner 3 when you get your form right. Meal, 7-8 Sleep etc

Bridgend

What's wrong with that tinkerbell? there's people from all walks of life on here, been messaged by a few personal trainers so I'm getting advise from the right place

This thread is funny

My god ?? All the arm chair personal trainers who are clueless are jumping aboard.

"My god ?? All the arm chair personal trainers who are clueless are jumping aboard."

Maybe you can share your wisdom on this matter then.

"Mmmm, I need a fitness program...I know I'll ask in a swinging forum!

WTAF!"

Yeah your right! Everyone knows this is where you come for abuse!

Stupid bastards!

"My god ?? All the arm chair personal trainers who are clueless are jumping aboard."

Yeah ha way billy big bollox

Invest in a few sessions with a personal trainer.

No issue with people in that position. It's those doing quarter squats with 180kg claiming it to be a full rep pb that piss us off. Why would it piss you off . Why worry how others are training ? "

I was thinking the same, why worry about what others do, its not like its affecting how you go about your business.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

You never know why people are training a certain way.

Theres a guy in my gym who always wears a proper lifting belt, all the time and it did strike me as odd, but then, I always wear a lumbar support under my vest, I turn it round so it supports my stomach, because I have a colostomy and apparently am prone to hernia. I'll wear a "proper" belt on heavy dead and squat sessions though.

I heard from dr tony huge online that training in failure in all sets adds a new dimension to your workouts and could be what everyone needs to stimulate new muscle.

Newbury

"I heard from dr tony huge online that training in failure in all sets adds a new dimension to your workouts and could be what everyone needs to stimulate new muscle."

Depends on how you do it, shag. You may actualy get more decent reps in training with a weight you can just about get the reps in on your main sets and "failing" on a drop set or doing rest-pause. That way, you aren't sacrificing reps on your earlier sets.

"I heard from dr tony huge online that training in failure in all sets adds a new dimension to your workouts and could be what everyone needs to stimulate new muscle.

Depends on how you do it, shag. You may actualy get more decent reps in training with a weight you can just about get the reps in on your main sets and "failing" on a drop set or doing rest-pause. That way, you aren't sacrificing reps on your earlier sets. "

That is right you can as well and it depends how you do it. I like to go for high reps myself so you feel the muscles burn, rather than low reps.

Newbury

"I heard from dr tony huge online that training in failure in all sets adds a new dimension to your workouts and could be what everyone needs to stimulate new muscle.

Depends on how you do it, shag. You may actualy get more decent reps in training with a weight you can just about get the reps in on your main sets and "failing" on a drop set or doing rest-pause. That way, you aren't sacrificing reps on your earlier sets. That is right you can as well and it depends how you do it. I like to go for high reps myself so you feel the muscles burn, rather than low reps."

You might be intersted to know that I read a study recently that shows that hypertrophy extends well past the 15 rep range, so if you are a glutton for punishment, you can try 20-30 rep sets.

Depends on how you do it, shag. You may actualy get more decent reps in training with a weight you can just about get the reps in on your main sets and "failing" on a drop set or doing rest-pause. That way, you aren't sacrificing reps on your earlier sets. That is right you can as well and it depends how you do it. I like to go for high reps myself so you feel the muscles burn, rather than low reps.

You might be intersted to know that I read a study recently that shows that hypertrophy extends well past the 15 rep range, so if you are a glutton for punishment, you can try 20-30 rep sets. "

Hell no, high reps for me is above 6, very occasionally venture past this but never more than 10. All for strongman though.

Gotta train legs too..

Start off with either a full body routine or something like push/pull/legs.. there's loads of variations online.

Pick one and do it consistently for at least 3 months, then see what's next

Newbury

Depends on how you do it, shag. You may actualy get more decent reps in training with a weight you can just about get the reps in on your main sets and "failing" on a drop set or doing rest-pause. That way, you aren't sacrificing reps on your earlier sets. That is right you can as well and it depends how you do it. I like to go for high reps myself so you feel the muscles burn, rather than low reps.

You might be intersted to know that I read a study recently that shows that hypertrophy extends well past the 15 rep range, so if you are a glutton for punishment, you can try 20-30 rep sets.

Hell no, high reps for me is above 6, very occasionally venture past this but never more than 10. All for strongman though."

It's not my thing either - I do more hypertrophy work when bulking, but otherwise I might finish on an exercise in the 12-15 rep range. I think hypertrophy traning is very much shags thing though.

Hell no, high reps for me is above 6, very occasionally venture past this but never more than 10. All for strongman though.

It's not my thing either - I do more hypertrophy work when bulking, but otherwise I might finish on an exercise in the 12-15 rep range. I think hypertrophy traning is very much shags thing though. "

That is right it is and high reps for me is as well 12 to 15, but usually around the 20 reps mark then I like to pyramid it down to really burn it more. I do that on all sets, also I do instinctive training, so one week is never the same. I usually decide what to do when I come to the gym, as rich piana sais, you have to confuse the body.

» Add a new message to this topic