FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Respecting a woman's safety request

Respecting a woman's safety request

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oubyLover OP   Woman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I bailed on a meet tonight as I was freaked out by the person I was meeting and wondering what others would do in this situation.

The meet was an hours drive for me and rather than give his address, the guy asked to meet in a pub which I happily agreed to. He then said I'll meet you in the car park I told him I'm not driving an hour to meet someone in a dark car park, I'll meet you inside the pub, which he agreed to.

I drove in and was reversing into a space but could see someone stood watching me. I wasn't comfortable and didn't know who it was so decide to move to another place in the car park and see what he did. He followed me into the larger car park behind and stood waiting. I guessed it was him (although it still may not have been, I wasn't 100%). If it was him I wasn't happy that hadn't respected my one safety request. I didn't feel safe so just drove out. I stopped briefly on the way to roll down my window and inch (the door were locked) to tell him I said I won't meet in a dark car park. If I want to do that I'll go dogging ffs!

I parked up on a main road further up from the pub to calm down. I messaged him explaining again but he refused to apologise for meeting me in the car park because that's what other ladies had asked for - this is despite me specifically requesting NOT to meet me in the car park

I'm sure he meant well but shouldn't it be about what I want in terms of safety? If a man won't respect a simple safety request while meeting in a public place, what else won't he respect when alone at his house.

So my questions:

Ladies, would you prefer to meet in a car park at night or inside the pub? He suggests I'm the exception to the rule but I can't imagine many women being happy to drive an hour to meet an unknown man in a unknown dark car park!!

Gents, would you respect a woman's wishes on safety even if it was different to other women you'd met? And would you apologise for disrespecting her safety request and freaking her out? He thinks that's not required although he did apologise for me wasting 2 hours of my time

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I bailed on a meet tonight as I was freaked out by the person I was meeting and wondering what others would do in this situation.

The meet was an hours drive for me and rather than give his address, the guy asked to meet in a pub which I happily agreed to. He then said I'll meet you in the car park I told him I'm not driving an hour to meet someone in a dark car park, I'll meet you inside the pub, which he agreed to.

I drove in and was reversing into a space but could see someone stood watching me. I wasn't comfortable and didn't know who it was so decide to move to another place in the car park and see what he did. He followed me into the larger car park behind and stood waiting. I guessed it was him (although it still may not have been, I wasn't 100%). If it was him I wasn't happy that hadn't respected my one safety request. I didn't feel safe so just drove out. I stopped briefly on the way to roll down my window and inch (the door were locked) to tell him I said I won't meet in a dark car park. If I want to do that I'll go dogging ffs!

I parked up on a main road further up from the pub to calm down. I messaged him explaining again but he refused to apologise for meeting me in the car park because that's what other ladies had asked for - this is despite me specifically requesting NOT to meet me in the car park

I'm sure he meant well but shouldn't it be about what I want in terms of safety? If a man won't respect a simple safety request while meeting in a public place, what else won't he respect when alone at his house.

So my questions:

Ladies, would you prefer to meet in a car park at night or inside the pub? He suggests I'm the exception to the rule but I can't imagine many women being happy to drive an hour to meet an unknown man in a unknown dark car park!!

Gents, would you respect a woman's wishes on safety even if it was different to other women you'd met? And would you apologise for disrespecting her safety request and freaking her out? He thinks that's not required although he did apologise for me wasting 2 hours of my time "

Safety is paramount. I'd suggest you stay in your comfort zone (known pub for example) next time.

By *hell and jCouple  over a year ago

doncaster

It's your rules he shud have stuck to them x I wud not drive over a hr for a meet if there that keen and genuine they wud travel xx

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Trust your gut OP. You did the right thing.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

If I give a preference & reason where & why I want to meet somewhere, and the person had agreed to it.

I think I'd be rather annoyed too, if then went against those wishes.

I don't blame you OP X

East Yorkshire

"It's your rules he shud have stuck to them x I wud not drive over a hr for a meet if there that keen and genuine they wud travel xx"

I don't accom so travel instead. It was meant to be a great meet with someone well verified but it was a red flag for me.

By *zamiWoman  over a year ago

LONDON

Yes if he can't respect your wishes you need to swerve xx

You did exactly the right thing, he was out of order with his actions, why didn't he travel to your area and meet you in a familiar pub for you?

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I'd of done exactly the same as you did in that situation except I would of asked him to meet me closer to home.

Hope it hasn't put you off! We can never be to careful x

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

You did the right thing. It's not an unreasonable request and if he isn't willing to do what you want then you can't trust him.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

"You did the right thing. It's not an unreasonable request and if he isn't willing to do what you want then you can't trust him."

Also I do hope he reads the forums. Then he might actually realise what a cockwomble he is!

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

He definitely should have met you inside the pub as you requested.

East Yorkshire

"You did the right thing. It's not an unreasonable request and if he isn't willing to do what you want then you can't trust him.

Also I do hope he reads the forums. Then he might actually realise what a cockwomble he is! "

He does and that made me think twice about posting this thread tbh. I'm glad I've got others opinions though and confirmed I did best. It was such a simple request but he won't apologise for disrespecting it.

Hey ho...next

By *s ParisWoman  over a year ago

My Dungeon Room

You have absolutely every right to feel safe and secure when meeting someone for the first time, and if you have made some rules they should be stuck to at all times. i dont think some men actually see the danger for women going to meet someone the first time so if you wanted to meet in the pub thats where he should have waited for you rather than cause you uneccessary distress the way he did, its one of the reasons i never meet on my own anymore i too had a few bad experiences like that so now i always have Mr.Paris with me on a meet if people cant understand my concerns i politely ask them to move on i am not for them you made a very wise move in leaving OP

100% the right thing to do. By acting as he did, he disregarded your opinion. If a particular meet area is clearly specified, then it is stuck to.

East Yorkshire

Thank you all for your replies, it gives me comfort I definitely did the right thing x

By *inky guy 88Man  over a year ago

luton

Leaving was the right choice. Meeting inside the pub was a completely reasonable request.

East Yorkshire

"Leaving was the right choice. Meeting inside the pub was a completely reasonable request."

He thinks most women are uncomfortable going into a pub alone and would rather meet a man in the car park so they have someone to walk in with. What's your experience as a man of this?

"Leaving was the right choice. Meeting inside the pub was a completely reasonable request.

He thinks most women are uncomfortable going into a pub alone and would rather meet a man in the car park so they have someone to walk in with. What's your experience as a man of this? "

As a publican, it depends on the venue. I treat everyone the same, and if anyone is in alone, they get treated with respect and courtesy. Whether they be man, woman, or other: a patron is a patron.

By *he Secret Tea PartyCouple  over a year ago

London

"He thinks most women are uncomfortable going into a pub alone and would rather meet a man in the car park so they have someone to walk in with. What's your experience as a man of this? "

It really doesn't matter what he thinks, you asked to meet inside and he ignored your wishes.

Who knows what other of your preferences he would ignore? You did the right thing

By *irky_coupleCouple  over a year ago

kirky

What a twat.its really not difficult to plank your arse in a bar and wait. Tbh it would be a bit of a turn on as a guy when a hottie walks in and heads over to take a seat. You did the right thing as there's nothing to say he was intending actually going back to the bar.

East Yorkshire

"He thinks most women are uncomfortable going into a pub alone and would rather meet a man in the car park so they have someone to walk in with. What's your experience as a man of this?

It really doesn't matter what he thinks, you asked to meet inside and he ignored your wishes.

Who knows what other of your preferences he would ignore? You did the right thing "

By *uicy72Woman  over a year ago

North Colchester

"Thank you all for your replies, it gives me comfort I definitely did the right thing x"

Your safety is paramount x

I only ever meet guys in a pub for night time meets or costa coffee in the daytime.

I never drive to a guy for a 1st meet always stay local to my home.

A guy should respects this if not then don’t meet them ! X

Always go by your gut instincts

By *eanus 2000Man  over a year ago

Marlborough

"I bailed on a meet tonight as I was freaked out by the person I was meeting and wondering what others would do in this situation.

So my questions:

Gents, would you respect a woman's wishes on safety even if it was different to other women you'd met? And would you apologise for disrespecting her safety request and freaking her out? He thinks that's not required although he did apologise for me wasting 2 hours of my time "

What a total bellend, I am baffled as to what he was thinking and I'm not a bit surprised at your reaction. Trust is the most important requirement for everyone but particularly for you ladies and his actions have were only going to destroy any trust you had in meeting him. You did exactly the right thing and should do it again if another idiot doesn't comply with your requests about where you arrange to meet. I would never over rule or ignor any request from a woman I had arranged to meet as her safety and well being is paramount to me. The reason for this should be obvious but sadly so many of my gender don't apear to understand these reasons.

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

You did the correct thing, he was clearly hoping for a out come he wanted and you was clear I would have drove off and proceed with a hand jester. Your safety is Paramount, when I meet I tell one close friend were n when time how long I might be away for

"Leaving was the right choice. Meeting inside the pub was a completely reasonable request.

He thinks most women are uncomfortable going into a pub alone and would rather meet a man in the car park so they have someone to walk in with. What's your experience as a man of this? "

He is talking total bollocks. The days of women not being comfortable going into a pub alone died in the 70's or even earlier..... Not saying he is...but his behaviour makes him seem like a creep....you certainly did the right thing...his loss.

If he does read this then maybe he will realise and learn...maybe he won't? Either way you were bob on!

I would have done the exact same thing OP

The fact that he then followed you into another car park and stood there waiting is really creepy.

And if you'd have highlighted you weren't happy to meet him in the car park he should have respected that

He seems like one of those guys that will persistently ask for something you're not comfortable doing then when you get firm with him state that "he's only joking"

Ok, OP, have you ever been dogging?

I don't understand how he can think this when you specifically said you'd prefer to meet him inside!!!!

Have you spoken to him since?

It doesn't matter what the rule is if a man can't respect a basic request at the very beginning I wouldn't meet him. I've had this happen many times & I've driven away saying the same thing X

By *sThunderThighsWoman  over a year ago

Toy Land

I think you did the right thing .. I personally like to meet in the carpark as I don't like walking in looking for a stranger . But I usually do coffee meets or local meets early evening to pubs I know are well lit outside.

But what anyone else does is irrelevant, you asked to meet inside he should have respected that.

East Yorkshire

He thinks most women are uncomfortable going into a pub alone and would rather meet a man in the car park so they have someone to walk in with. What's your experience as a man of this?

I don't understand how he can think this when you specifically said you'd prefer to meet him inside!!!!

Have you spoken to him since?"

No he just sent one message saying he wouldn't apologise for meeting me in the car park and happy fabbing. It was a bit longer than that, I can't share it as against forum rules but that's the bottom line of it. It felt very self righteous and sounded like I was weird and what I wanted didn't matter, like he knew best. Very concerning!

No he just sent one message saying he wouldn't apologise for meeting me in the car park and happy fabbing. It was a bit longer than that, I can't share it as against forum rules but that's the bottom line of it. It felt very self righteous and sounded like I was weird and what I wanted didn't matter, like he knew best. Very concerning! "

So he basically just confirmed that you did the right thing then

No thats definitely not on. You specifically told him. No. Not on. U did right to leave.

By *hinypants77Man  over a year ago

Leeds

The guys a knob. If he’s not respecting your wishes and doesn’t make you feel comfortable then bail asap.

He sounds like a weirdo lurking about in dark car parks. Lucky escape.

Always stay safe and be wise and meet in a public place if you don’t know them.

By * SCARED x STIFF xCouple  over a year ago

west midlands

I'd assume someone he knew must have been in the pub and he didn't want to be seen with you, it's the only plausible reason I can think of as to why he didn't follow such a simple request

No he just sent one message saying he wouldn't apologise for meeting me in the car park and happy fabbing. It was a bit longer than that, I can't share it as against forum rules but that's the bottom line of it. It felt very self righteous and sounded like I was weird and what I wanted didn't matter, like he knew best. Very concerning! "

You went with your instincts and someone who doesn’t respect your boundaries and isn’t remotely interested in how you feel should be avoided

I think you had a lucky escape

Absolutely think you did the right thing, he sounds like an idiot.

I once went on a work related appointment, met a guy in a hotel cafe, with a view of possibly doing some work together at a later date.

Didn't expect him to turn up at my place a few hours later, foolishly had my home address on my business card. I was subjected to 3 hours of violent abuse in my own home, and he tried to intimidating me into not reporting the act. He's doing 6 years, and we're trying to get 6 other ladies to come forward to lengthen his sentence.

Safety is my top priority, as it should be for all women. I've now got CCTV and panic buttons.

Even as a big guy who can handle himself, this situation would give me the creeps. Always trust your gut!!

OP you absolutely did the right thing. He's an utter knob.

Always trust your instincts.

"

I'd send him the link to this post so he can see that 100% of respondents don't agree with him!

OP your correct. If I’m not meeting at clubs I make sure it’s a public place so it’s safe for the lady and she is comfortable as it’s a public place.

I rarely do non clubs meets unless ive spoken and met the person as time wasters are everywhere. I believe everyone should be safe and public meet is always best.

Creepy as fuck!

You did the right thing, if he couldn't respect such a simple request its quite simply his loss x L

By *unniebee1970Woman  over a year ago

The Hive

Your rules. Always.

All excellent advice your safety trumps all else x

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

You did the right thing for you,personally I alway's met outside in the carpark. I find pub carparks sufficiently lit enough to do this,I'd rather wait outside to see if he actually turn's up rather than be sat inside for him not to.

By *hotographer 30Man  over a year ago

rochdale

100% right I meet people for portraits pics and they decide where we meet who is with them .we usually meet in pub few drinks relax then meet at a later date . This way get i better pics n vids .

By *inkycarolineTV/TS  over a year ago

Kilwinning

You did the right thing, your safety comes first.

I would expect to meet somewhere well lit and very public like a pub, coffee shop or even a burger place.

Please take care ladies.

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

In all honesty. I wouldnt meet in a dark car park! I think you did the right thing.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"

I can't speak for all women, but personally I have no issue walking into a pub on my own.

My views maybe different, I grew up in a pub, ran my own for years & still do bar/door work, so a pub is where I'm most at ease tbh.

But regardless, you specifically asked for something, he knew your reasons & he chose to ignore them.

Not cool

From the male perspective i agree its bad manners to not do what has been agreed. If he pushed tjis boundary which others might he push too. Courtesy, respect and politeness is paramount in my book. You did exactly the right thing and the feedback you've got tells you that.

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

There are two sides to every story.

I know the guy in question and he is a gentlemen and certainly would never do anything to be deliberately disrespectful.

I think you over reacted as he simply wanted to ensure your safety knowing that the car park you eventually decided on after not being able to park in the other one was a dark one.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

If he couldn't follow just one very simple safety rule, what other rules would he ignore, during the meet ?

Of course you were right, just glad you're ok

OP you did exactly the right thing!

Gut instincts are usually right, I always follow my gut.

I do feel sorry that you went out of your way to meet this guy, and he clearly had no consideration for you at all.

I have also driven a fair distance to meet someone for a social, but not any more! If they are that keen they will arrange meeting me in my home town at a place I know and am comfortable with.

Don't let it put you off of Fab, there are so many really decent and lovely people here. However it will make you more aware that things don't always go to plan, and to be cautious of who you arrange to meet and where.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

If he didn't respect this simple request, he probably wouldn't respect anything else if you took things further either, lucky escape I'd say!

Onestepoutofthedoor

"There are two sides to every story.

I know the guy in question and he is a gentlemen and certainly would never do anything to be deliberately disrespectful.

I think you over reacted as he simply wanted to ensure your safety knowing that the car park you eventually decided on after not being able to park in the other one was a dark one. "

Did he explain that to her?

By *rnortholtMan  over a year ago

MIDDLESEX/SUFFOLK

Before we even get to safety, it's damned rude. You had specifically asked to meet inside the pub, not outside and he should have respected that. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he had just arrived and was making his way into the pub when he thought he saw you pull in, your decision to move to another space was a pretty clear sign for him to go inside and wait.

His behaviour went beyond rude and was downright creepy. I presume you had seen each others face pictures but in cases like that, I've met people where I've had to look two or three times to convince myself I was about to approach the right people. Instead, he's following a single woman round a car park. What if it hadn't have been you, how much worse would that have been?

So finally to the safety issue you raised. Hey if a meet cannot even respect your request to meet inside in a public place, what chance they will respect a no should you progress further down the line?

Frankly I would report this person to the site as they seem pretty worrying in their behaviour.

[Removed by poster at 17/10/17 08:44:12]

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

Your rules are your rules for the meeting if he can’t stick to those simple rules you did the right thing.

Onestepoutofthedoor

I think you over reacted as he simply wanted to ensure your safety knowing that the car park you eventually decided on after not being able to park in the other one was a dark one.

He didn't get the chance to as she sped off after throwing a strop with him through the car window. His text to her after wards was a polite retort to her abusive ones to him. "

Oh dear that's not good I'm not sure how I would have reacted,I think I may be annoyed at him not doing as I'd asked as it was a simple request,but then I hope I would have listened to the reason why he didn't.

He didn't get the chance to as she sped off after throwing a strop with him through the car window. His text to her after wards was a polite retort to her abusive ones to him.

Oh dear that's not good I'm not sure how I would have reacted,I think I may be annoyed at him not doing as I'd asked as it was a simple request,but then I hope I would have listened to the reason why he didn't."

As mention, she alluded to going straight to his house. Is this really safe? Didn't the he suggest the pub as a safer neutral venue? Something doesn't make sense here.

By *unseeker64Woman  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I think he's very lucky that you drove for an hour for a first meet! I would never go that far.

Personally I have my own safety guidelines. I always meet local to me and I do meet in the car park...but it's in one or two pubs I know very well that have large well lit car parks. The reason I prefer the carpark is I want to see the guys car and his registration and I want to be escorted into the pub....like the lady that I am.

I'm sorry for your situation but I hope there is nice other guys out there who will treat you better. Good luck.

Onestepoutofthedoor

He didn't get the chance to as she sped off after throwing a strop with him through the car window. His text to her after wards was a polite retort to her abusive ones to him.

Oh dear that's not good I'm not sure how I would have reacted,I think I may be annoyed at him not doing as I'd asked as it was a simple request,but then I hope I would have listened to the reason why he didn't.

As mention, she alluded to going straight to his house. Is this really safe? Didn't the he suggest the pub as a safer neutral venue? Something doesn't make sense here."

That's a good point actually,it certainly sound's like it in the op.

By *fro-samuraiiMan  over a year ago

q

100%

"It's your rules he shud have stuck to them x I wud not drive over a hr for a meet if there that keen and genuine they wud travel xx

I don't accom so travel instead. It was meant to be a great meet with someone well verified but it was a red flag for me. "

Shame it didn't work out for you. But He was in the wrong. Your safety and feelings must take priority

By *aughtynigel02121980Man  over a year ago

Brandon

From a genuine single guys point of view you definately did the right thing.

And if he was any sort of a decent bloke he would have understood and respected your safety request, No questions asked

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple  over a year ago

Slough

As mention, she alluded to going straight to his house. Is this really safe? Didn't the he suggest the pub as a safer neutral venue? Something doesn't make sense here."

But it sounds like he has a very rigid view of what the right thing to do was? Ultimately there's no risk to him and the worse that could have happened was that he had a drink alone and she didn't show up. It just sounds like it was his way or the high way?

Op, I guess you did what you felt was right for you and that's the most important thing.

From a personal point of view it doesn't sound creepy at all but that's just me. I don't meet somewhere that I've not previously checked out.

As previously said, I've met guys outside of a pub so if he doesn't turn up I don't end up looking like a total twat!

Sounds like there is another side to this story now!

Probably best to draw a line under it and move on.

As much as I get this. What happened if he just turned up too, saw you drive in. (Hoped it was you) and waited

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Nobody whatever their gender should do anything that compromises their own or another person's safety rules.

On the face of it he explicitly went against your express wish to meet inside the pub. His reasons may have been honourable but he still made the decision to meet you outside despite your request.

I think that sometimes men don't understand how scary it can be for a woman on her own.

By *.nottsbloke..Man  over a year ago

1nottsbloke

I expect if the pub was local to him he didn't want to be seen inside the pub in case his wife found out

Safety is a given in any type of meet . If you don't feel safe don't do it. Go with your gut.

You did the right thing Op.

I certainly hope this made him think twice about asking for meets again in the future.

I would have stopped the meet when he decided to change front meeting inside the pub to outside in the car park.

Please stay safe.

I won't walk in a pub on my own so have met in the car park in the evening a few times to walk in together. But that's just me.

If you felt unsafe then what you did was right. But maybe he should have stood in the doorway to the pub and not out in the dark.

By *ally_weaverMan  over a year ago

Stoneyburn

If a potential play mate can't follow one simple request from the offset what other boundries and limits are they going to overstep?

Ignorant behaviour at best, abhorrent at worst.

By *vieCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Definately in the pub. He should of stuck to the rules! Its very frustrating! His loss for being a twat.

By *akemetobedeyesWoman  over a year ago

Knaresborough

"It doesn't matter what the rule is if a man can't respect a basic request at the very beginning I wouldn't meet him."

Exactly this, if he doesn't respect and follow the agreed instructions then whose to say that he won't ignore other requests such as condom use etc?

It's your safety and on all meets the lady must feel safe. This in my mind then allows her to relax and the meet to progress nicely with that trust in place. However and I am not fldefending him but I have met ladies at pubs who don't like walking in on their own for everyone to stare at so have met outside BUT that's been in daylight and I would never expect or ask a lady to meet me in a dark place where she doesn't feel comfortable and if she has specifically said where to meet them that should always be respected.

OP it's your rules and no one could blame you for how you reacted

By *vieCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"I expect if the pub was local to him he didn't want to be seen inside the pub in case his wife found out "

Yes i was thinking that!

It's possible that there's been a misunderstanding. One of the posters in this thread has vouched that he's a decent guy. So what might have happened was that he arrived at the same time, saw her car, so waited for her to park. That I get. However on her deciding not to park there, it was somewhat dim of him to follow her round the carpark. Of course that's going to feel creepy. But his intentions may have been honerable even if his actions were careless. At the end of the day this lady has has a fright, rightly or wrongly, due to something he did. If he is a decent man he will realise that he unintentionally scared her and will appologise for doing so.

Mrs

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

When a man meets a woman on a potential sex date, the latter is, for obvious reasons, the more vulnerable. It follows that the man should always comply with any safety requests the woman has.

If I had been this bloke I would have made sure I arrived at the pub early to avoid this potential problem.

Arguing about it afterwards and saying that other women take a different view re safety is just stupid. What other women might or might not do is completely irrelevant.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

Bottom line, no matter how 'silly' he thought your request to meet in a pub was, he should have either honoured that, or, if he thought it was ridiculous, backed out of the meet altogether. As I was reading through all the replies, I started to think of the occasions in my life (not Fab related) where different men have 'agreed' to something but reneged on that because they thought they 'knew better' and have then tried to dress it up when I've protested as 'only thinking of you'. It's a power thing (in my opinion) even if it's subconscious, and that in itself can be unnerving as it shows a lack of respect for your wishes and also shows you can't trust that person to stick by their word (so what else might they not be trusted with?) Then I got near the bottom of the thread and saw him described as a 'gentleman' whose decision to hang out in the carpark was done with the 'best of intentions' ...

Sorry, but no .... that doesn't alter the fact he broke an agreement and made the OP feel uncomfortable. If there was no sinister intent, he *still* demonstrated that he thought her conditions for meeting - which he'd agreed to - were irrelevant/unnecessary/silly or whatever and whilst I have no idea of the exact text content that passed between them later, I understand why she felt angry, possibly belittled and let down. The fact remains that even if she had intended to end up at his house, that was conditional on her initially meeting him in a public place where she felt safe, presumably to sound him out and reassure herself that she was getting good vibes before taking that step.

I don't think he behaved like a gentleman at all. It was such a simple request which wouldn't have required any effort from him at all but he 'knew best'.

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

"Nobody whatever their gender should do anything that compromises their own or another person's safety rules.

On the face of it he explicitly went against your express wish to meet inside the pub. His reasons may have been honourable but he still made the decision to meet you outside despite your request.

I think that sometimes men don't understand how scary it can be for a woman on her own."

Absolutely this. It sounds as though he was being honourable from the replies since. But the op had no way of knowing that. Thats the point. If she was frightened its understabdable that she was not in the best frame of mind and lash out. Perhaps they can chat about it and arrange another meet as it dors now sound a shame.

"When a man meets a woman on a potential sex date, the latter is, for obvious reasons, the more vulnerable. It follows that the man should always comply with any safety requests the woman has.

If I had been this bloke I would have made sure I arrived at the pub early to avoid this potential problem.

Arguing about it afterwards and saying that other women take a different view re safety is just stupid. What other women might or might not do is completely irrelevant. "

The fact that he argued with her saying what women do does indeed make him come across as quite ignorant.

Mrs

"It's possible that there's been a misunderstanding. One of the posters in this thread has vouched that he's a decent guy. So what might have happened was that he arrived at the same time, saw her car, so waited for her to park. That I get. However on her deciding not to park there, it was somewhat dim of him to follow her round the carpark. Of course that's going to feel creepy. But his intentions may have been honerable even if his actions were careless. At the end of the day this lady has has a fright, rightly or wrongly, due to something he did. If he is a decent man he will realise that he unintentionally scared her and will appologise for doing so.

Mrs"

Definitely varies. A lot of ladies don't like to go into a pub on their own, so he may have had that in mind from previous meets - BUT you had requested to meet inside, so he should have respected that. Any intelligent bloke will be switched on enough to try to make a lady feel as comfortable in their company as possible. I'm willing to bet most successful males are the ones art enough to do this. His loss.

"Nobody whatever their gender should do anything that compromises their own or another person's safety rules.

I think that sometimes men don't understand how scary it can be for a woman on her own.

Absolutely this. It sounds as though he was being honourable from the replies since. But the op had no way of knowing that. Thats the point. If she was frightened its understabdable that she was not in the best frame of mind and lash out. Perhaps they can chat about it and arrange another meet as it dors now sound a shame."

Agreed if she was frightened and a tad insecure then yes she should have cancelled

East Yorkshire

As mention, she alluded to going straight to his house. Is this really safe? Didn't the he suggest the pub as a safer neutral venue? Something doesn't make sense here.

That's a good point actually,it certainly sound's like it in the op."

In some cases I do consider going direct to a persons house. Had I got an address I leave it with a trusted friend and the person is traceable should anything happen. In most cases though I don't consider this but this time he was very well verified and no signs during our chat of anything amiss. If I meet someone in a car park and something happens, who are they? They're not traceable.

So on occasions depending on the person, the communication and verifications I think it's safer to meet at a guys house and do arrange that but I *never* agree to meet in a car park at night. And that's my absolute choice to make.

I was clear to him I won't meet in a car park but oh dear he says I had a 'strop' - no I was completely freaked out by someone following me round a car park and not respecting what is a very simple safety request.

"Bottom line, no matter how 'silly' he thought your request to meet in a pub was, he should have either honoured that, or, if he thought it was ridiculous, backed out of the meet altogether. As I was reading through all the replies, I started to think of the occasions in my life (not Fab related) where different men have 'agreed' to something but reneged on that because they thought they 'knew better' and have then tried to dress it up when I've protested as 'only thinking of you'. It's a power thing (in my opinion) even if it's subconscious, and that in itself can be unnerving as it shows a lack of respect for your wishes and also shows you can't trust that person to stick by their word (so what else might they not be trusted with?) Then I got near the bottom of the thread and saw him described as a 'gentleman' whose decision to hang out in the carpark was done with the 'best of intentions' ...

Sorry, but no .... that doesn't alter the fact he broke an agreement and made the OP feel uncomfortable. If there was no sinister intent, he *still* demonstrated that he thought her conditions for meeting - which he'd agreed to - were irrelevant/unnecessary/silly or whatever and whilst I have no idea of the exact text content that passed between them later, I understand why she felt angry, possibly belittled and let down. The fact remains that even if she had intended to end up at his house, that was conditional on her initially meeting him in a public place where she felt safe, presumably to sound him out and reassure herself that she was getting good vibes before taking that step.

I don't think he behaved like a gentleman at all. It was such a simple request which wouldn't have required any effort from him at all but he 'knew best'."

That's another good point. Men, albeit with the best intentions, 'knowing better'. As you said 'is it a power thing.

By *easing_twoCouple  over a year ago

Bristol, Thornbury

"I expect if the pub was local to him he didn't want to be seen inside the pub in case his wife found out "

Then he should have asked for a different pub. That would be no excuse and if that was the reason it shows his utter disrespect to OP and her simple request.

In some cases I do consider going direct to a persons house. Had I got an address I leave it with a trusted friend and the person is traceable should anything happen. In most cases though I don't consider this but this time he was very well verified and no signs during our chat of anything amiss. If I meet someone in a car park and something happens, who are they? They're not traceable.

So on occasions depending on the person, the communication and verifications I think it's safer to meet at a guys house and do arrange that but I *never* agree to meet in a car park at night. And that's my absolute choice to make.

I was clear to him I won't meet in a car park but oh dear he says I had a 'strop' - no I was completely freaked out by someone following me round a car park and not respecting what is a very simple safety request. "

If he's a decent man, he will realised that his behaviour scared you, and he'll apologise.

"I expect if the pub was local to him he didn't want to be seen inside the pub in case his wife found out

Then he should have asked for a different pub. That would be no excuse and if that was the reason it shows his utter disrespect to OP and her simple request."

Woah who said he was married. Making assumptions

I wouldn't drive an hour at night to meet a stranger in the first place.

The fact that he disregarded your very simple request to meet inside the pub means he's unlikely to respect anything you ask. I think you did the right thing to leave- and to lock your doors.

"It's possible that there's been a misunderstanding. One of the posters in this thread has vouched that he's a decent guy. So what might have happened was that he arrived at the same time, saw her car, so waited for her to park. That I get. However on her deciding not to park there, it was somewhat dim of him to follow her round the carpark. Of course that's going to feel creepy. But his intentions may have been honerable even if his actions were careless. At the end of the day this lady has has a fright, rightly or wrongly, due to something he did. If he is a decent man he will realise that he unintentionally scared her and will appologise for doing so.

Mrs

Definitely varies. A lot of ladies don't like to go into a pub on their own, so he may have had that in mind from previous meets - BUT you had requested to meet inside, so he should have respected that. Any intelligent bloke will be switched on enough to try to make a lady feel as comfortable in their company as possible. I'm willing to bet most successful males are the ones art enough to do this. His loss. "

This hits a nail on the head. Intelligence. It is important to meet men who are intelligent enough and switched on enough to read a situation wisely instead of going crashing ahead. At best his actions were a bit dim, as I said in my post.

Mrs

You did the right thing

East Yorkshire

I was clear to him I won't meet in a car park but oh dear he says I had a 'strop' - no I was completely freaked out by someone following me round a car park and not respecting what is a very simple safety request.

If he's a decent man, he will realised that his behaviour scared you, and he'll apologise. "

Nope. He's apologised for 2 hours wasted but won't apologise for walking over to meet a lady in a dark unfamiliar car park. That's just really creepy behaviour imho! That I'd specifically said I won't meet in the car park then brings in disrespect. I have no doubt in *his* mind he was being a gentleman. That he can't put himself in a single woman's shoes and understand why I felt like that or apologise for freaking me out just shows he has very little empathy.

If he's a decent man, he will realised that his behaviour scared you, and he'll apologise.

Nope. He's apologised for 2 hours wasted but won't apologise for walking over to meet a lady in a dark unfamiliar car park. That's just really creepy behaviour imho! That I'd specifically said I won't meet in the car park then brings in disrespect. I have no doubt in *his* mind he was being a gentleman. That he can't put himself in a single woman's shoes and understand why I felt like that or apologise for freaking me out just shows he has very little empathy. "

I agree. He may have been totally genuine and concerned for your safety at the time. If it was me I would understand you being abusive at the time as you were freaked out, and I would have apologised for that.

Nope. He's apologised for 2 hours wasted but won't apologise for walking over to meet a lady in a dark unfamiliar car park. That's just really creepy behaviour imho! That I'd specifically said I won't meet in the car park then brings in disrespect. I have no doubt in *his* mind he was being a gentleman. That he can't put himself in a single woman's shoes and understand why I felt like that or apologise for freaking me out just shows he has very little empathy. "

Well that just arrogant bloodymindedness. We all make errors of judgement, but a decent person would show remorse if they realise their actions caused someone else to be scared.

East Yorkshire

Nope. He's apologised for 2 hours wasted but won't apologise for walking over to meet a lady in a dark unfamiliar car park. That's just really creepy behaviour imho! That I'd specifically said I won't meet in the car park then brings in disrespect. I have no doubt in *his* mind he was being a gentleman. That he can't put himself in a single woman's shoes and understand why I felt like that or apologise for freaking me out just shows he has very little empathy.

I agree. He may have been totally genuine and concerned for your safety at the time. If it was me I would understand you being abusive at the time as you were freaked out, and I would have apologised for that."

Abusive? Hmm he needs to reconsider that definition! I said in a panicked voice out of the window 'I said I won't meet in a car park' before driving off. I then sent an immediate message saying that was creepy behaviour.

I sent another 15 mins later saying I'd parked up to calm down after being totally freaked out and explained more rationally about I'd specifically requested not to meet in the car park but in the pub and asked him to put himself in a single woman's shoes driving an hour to an unknown pub with an unknown man. There was NOTHING I said or sent that was abusive - unless he thinks me calling his behaviour creepy is abusive

So my questions:

You did absolutely the right thing. If this guy could not even respect your parameters about where to meet,how likely is it that he would respect any other boundaries. It's possible that he was being more thoughtless than malicious but, if he made you feel vulnerable in any way,you were right to abort the meeting.

By *ezjez369Man  over a year ago

london

Whether most women do or not,you clearly stated you were happy to meet inside the pub so it matters not what others do or don't want.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Now we do the exact opposite.

Once we have exchanged face pics etc, if we decide to meet and its me on my own (Mrs) then I will ask to meet on the car park.

I don't want to wander into a pub looking like a no mates whilst looking at guys thinking is that him?

Choose better pubs and why would you drive that far anyway, they should put themselves out, not you OP.

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

How long had you known him OP?

"

The fact that he disregarded your very simple request to meet inside the pub means he's unlikely to respect anything you ask. I think you did the right thing to leave- and to lock your doors. "

I think this nails my thoughts

[Removed by poster at 17/10/17 10:27:49]

"Now we do the exact opposite.

Once we have exchanged face pics etc, if we decide to meet and its me on my own (Mrs) then I will ask to meet on the car park.

I don't want to wander into a pub looking like a no mates whilst looking at guys thinking is that him?

Choose better pubs and why would you drive that far anyway, they should put themselves out, not you OP. "

I think she drove to his neck of the woods because he was hoping to go back to his place if they hit it off. I guess he was the one who could accommodate. It's a matter of personal preference and comfort whether people meet inside or outside. No right or wrong, other than that's what'a been agreed. When I meet a man, whether alone or with my husband, it's always inside and never outside, but that's what works for me. As I said no right or wrong.

Mrs

East Yorkshire

Choose better pubs and why would you drive that far anyway, they should put themselves out, not you OP.

I think she drove to his neck of the woods because he was hoping to go back to his place if they hit it off. I guess he was the one who could accommodate. It's a matter of personal preference and comfort whether people meet inside or outside. No right or wrong, other than that's what'a been agreed. When I meet a man, whether alone or with my husband, it's always inside and never outside, but that's what works for me. As I said no right or wrong.

Mrs"

Yes that's right I don't accom so choose to travel. Most people would get a 'you're too far' reply but this one seemed worth travelling for. He'd been on my hotlist for ages. Not that he knew that

East Yorkshire

He's got back in touch no doubt after reading this thread. He apologised for wasting my time and spoiling my night but for disrespecting my wishes and freaking me out. I genuinely don't think he gets how it is for single women but hey ho, the lesson is learned and I'm done.

Going forward I doubt I'll meet people further afield even if they look really lovely. As for the way I meet, it will remain the same. I will never meet In a car park and I will bolt again if someone starts following me around the car park.

Guys please please please respect a woman's safety request. It's not rocket science

London

"Bottom line, no matter how 'silly' he thought your request to meet in a pub was, he should have either honoured that, or, if he thought it was ridiculous, backed out of the meet altogether. As I was reading through all the replies, I started to think of the occasions in my life (not Fab related) where different men have 'agreed' to something but reneged on that because they thought they 'knew better' and have then tried to dress it up when I've protested as 'only thinking of you'. It's a power thing (in my opinion) even if it's subconscious, and that in itself can be unnerving as it shows a lack of respect for your wishes and also shows you can't trust that person to stick by their word (so what else might they not be trusted with?) Then I got near the bottom of the thread and saw him described as a 'gentleman' whose decision to hang out in the carpark was done with the 'best of intentions' ...

I don't think he behaved like a gentleman at all. It was such a simple request which wouldn't have required any effort from him at all but he 'knew best'."

Indeed. I just find the attitude of some men astonishing. He wants to fuck this woman. She makes a simple request and any fool can see that if he doesn't comply with it, he won't get to fuck her. Yet he does not...

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I think you over reacted as he simply wanted to ensure your safety knowing that the car park you eventually decided on after not being able to park in the other one was a dark one. "

With respect, OP wouldn't have known this and had arranged to meet inside

East Yorkshire

With respect, OP wouldn't have known this and had arranged to meet inside

"

Indeed. And very specifically not to meet in the car park

Worcester

Mrs"

It gives me the option of driving off if the guy is a munter or looks nothing like his profile photos.

To be honest, we have far more success in the clubs and other than a social, wouldn't meet a potential in a pub now anyway.

By *s_from_71Couple  over a year ago

Coventry

Safety first...

This reads odd though like he did not want or wish to be spotted hence the position he took.

The meeting in the carpark is not creepy but selfish, he clearly did not want to be spotted. The line "all of the women meet me in the carpark" could be lies owing to the lack of chance you have of chatting with them.

Meanwhile, dust yourself off... its clearly his loss.

Be safe

M & J

Mrs

It gives me the option of driving off if the guy is a munter or looks nothing like his profile photos.

To be honest, we have far more success in the clubs and other than a social, wouldn't meet a potential in a pub now anyway."

I get that. Good reason for meeting outside. I personally wouldn't have the guts to drive off if I didn't like the look of them, so when we or I arrange to meet we know we or I are going to have to endure at least 1 round of drinks. Not sure what we'd think if we regularly started getting it wrong, but via Fab we've never got it wrong yet. Touch wood

Worcester

Mrs

To be honest, we have far more success in the clubs and other than a social, wouldn't meet a potential in a pub now anyway.

I get that. Good reason for meeting outside. I personally wouldn't have the guts to drive off if I didn't like the look of them, so when we or I arrange to meet we know we or I are going to have to endure at least 1 round of drinks. Not sure what we'd think if we regularly started getting it wrong, but via Fab we've never got it wrong yet. Touch wood "

If we are going as a twosome then agree we would not be rude and would pop in for a drink but if they guy isn't who he says he is in his profile then adios, he could be anyone. (Fred West springs to mind).

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

"Trust your gut OP. You did the right thing. "

This.if he cant respect your preferences and freaked you out,he wasn't for you.

Miss

You did the right thing. for sure!

By *r on the EdgeMan  over a year ago

accrington

Whenever a meet is being arranged I always let the lady decide where, how and when then she is completely comfortable and at ease and feels safe with the surroundings, nothing worse than trying to have conversations with someone who is on edge, this guy is a fool and completely disrespectful!

London

Mrs

I get that. Good reason for meeting outside. I personally wouldn't have the guts to drive off if I didn't like the look of them, so when we or I arrange to meet we know we or I are going to have to endure at least 1 round of drinks. Not sure what we'd think if we regularly started getting it wrong, but via Fab we've never got it wrong yet. Touch wood "

Katie always drinks vodka on a meet. If she says she wants a gin it's a signal she does not fancy a guy. She then goes off to the loo leaving me to tell the guy the bad news. Doesn't bother me having to do that.

East Yorkshire

It's been interesting re-reading this whole thread top to bottom. La Fee's post sticks out especially when you consider some of the words that have been used about me or my behaviour in this thread, admittedly only by a minority - over reacted, strop and abusive. How are women supposed to react?

Mrs

I get that. Good reason for meeting outside. I personally wouldn't have the guts to drive off if I didn't like the look of them, so when we or I arrange to meet we know we or I are going to have to endure at least 1 round of drinks. Not sure what we'd think if we regularly started getting it wrong, but via Fab we've never got it wrong yet. Touch wood

If we are going as a twosome then agree we would not be rude and would pop in for a drink but if they guy isn't who he says he is in his profile then adios, he could be anyone. (Fred West springs to mind)."

Oh yeah if the guy literally wasn't who he said he was, of course I'd be out of the pub asap.

I still maintain that this is a good kind man and that his intentions were entirely honourable and that trying to demonize him this way is wrong.

He has the utmost respect for women, he doesn't mess people around and when he's in the wrong he is humble. The sheer venom towards him and wrong assumptions about him from many posters here is totally unwarranted.

The OP has as big a part to play here with her own behaviour, and perhaps lessons can be learned from both sides.

Had he chased you around the car park with a machete then your reaction would be fit, but that wasn't the case was it OP?

East Yorkshire

"I still maintain that this is a good kind man and that his intentions were entirely honourable and that trying to demonize him this way is wrong.

He has the utmost respect for women, he doesn't mess people around and when he's in the wrong he is humble. The sheer venom towards him and wrong assumptions about him from many posters here is totally unwarranted.

The OP has as big a part to play here with her own behaviour, and perhaps lessons can be learned from both sides.

Had he chased you around the car park with a machete then your reaction would be fit, but that wasn't the case was it OP?

"

Seriously? It takes a machete to make getting freaked out and bolting appropriate?

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"I still maintain that this is a good kind man and that his intentions were entirely honourable and that trying to demonize him this way is wrong.

"

great that you are sticking up for this guy, maybe his intentions were harmless, however the whole point of this thread is the fact that OP had specifically asked to meet inside and not in the car park, he should have respected her wishes.

You shouldn't feel bad for backing out I would've done the same follow your gut always. As you said if he couldn't even respect your request to meet inside what else would he not respect.

Seriously? It takes a machete to make getting freaked out and bolting appropriate? "

No apparently it just takes a well presented man walking towards your car to make sure you were ok after you got flustered trying to park in the front car park.

Jesus, get over yourself princess

"

So why hasn't he shown any remorse or regret to the OP for the fact that his actions unintentionally scared her?

Mrs

So why hasn't he shown any remorse or regret to the OP for the fact that his actions unintentionally scared her?

Mrs"

He has if you read back

By *eterbeebeeMan  over a year ago

Derby

I think you are well rid of him. If he can't respect your wishes and also followed you in the car park he could well turn out to be a pest

London

Seriously? It takes a machete to make getting freaked out and bolting appropriate?

No apparently it just takes a well presented man walking towards your car to make sure you were ok after you got flustered trying to park in the front car park.

Jesus, get over yourself princess "

Doesn't matter if the woman's request was objectively unreasonable. It's what she needs to make her feel safe and what he agreed to. If he was concerned for her safety he could have messaged her and asked if she wanted to meet in the car park after all.

Honestly. He fucked up. No excuses.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Doesn't matter if the woman's request was objectively unreasonable. It's what she needs to make her feel safe and what he agreed to. If he was concerned for her safety he could have messaged her and asked if she wanted to meet in the car park after all.

Honestly. He fucked up. No excuses. "

exactly this well put

They both fucked up and now they're the subject of a one sided forum thread.

He has apologised so just let it go and stop demonizing him

Mrs

He has if you read back"

She said he apologised for wasting her time and spoiling her evening, but did not apologise for freaking her out. There was a slight typo though in what she said, so it could have been interpreted that he did apologise for freakish her out. Maybe the OP can clarify if she has had an apology for him freaking her out

"They both fucked up and now they're the subject of a one sided forum thread.

"

How did she fuck up?

London

"

It's not about demonizing him. It's about a woman having a specific request she needs for her safety, which she communicated to him, which he agreed to and then ignored.

The fault is all on his side. I think you are the only person who disagrees.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

How did she fuck up?"

she didn't he did simples

How did she fuck up?"

I guess she fucked up for getting scared

London

Anyway it's perfectly reasonable for a lone woman not to want to meet a man in a dark car park. You'd want people around when you first meet a potential sex date.

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

How did she fuck up?

I guess she fucked up for getting scared "

and no one is demonizing him all that is being said is that he ignored her wishes, some people need to get over themselves and learn to read properly!

London

How did she fuck up?

I guess she fucked up for getting scared "

Indeed as she describes it and which doesn't seem to be disputed, his behavior was scary. She had arranged to meet her date in the pub. The guy following her could have been anyone.

East Yorkshire

Mrs

He has if you read back

She said he apologised for wasting her time and spoiling her evening, but did not apologise for freaking her out. There was a slight typo though in what she said, so it could have been interpreted that he did apologise for freakish her out. Maybe the OP can clarify if she has had an apology for him freaking her out "

You're correct that typo was that he'd NOT apologised for disrespecting my wishes or freaking me out. I challenged him on it and he has now apologised but it took several messages to get there so if I'm honest it doesn't feel like he meant it. But it's done.

My later post was what should us women do if we feel unsafe when clearly what I did gets me accused of having a strop, over reacting and being abusive. I really bloody wasn't! It does feel like women get blamed in our culture however they react and why La Fee's post resonated.

By *a Fee VerteWoman  over a year ago

Limbo

Jesus, get over yourself princess "

The princess remark is really uncalled for.

You think women should 'get over' feeling uncomfortable in the presence of 'well presented' men?? ... because obviously men who've made an effort with their appearance are always 100% trustworthy (ha ha, they're not).

This man, regardless of what he bloody well looked like, had *already* shown he couldn't be trusted because HE had ignored an arrangement HE had agreed to

How did she fuck up?she didn't he did simples"

Exactly!

That comment wanted to put the blame on both people - when it was clearly his fault for ignoring the OP's wishes.

Some people eh?

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

You think women should 'get over' feeling uncomfortable in the presence of 'well presented' men?? ... because obviously men who've made an effort with their appearance are always 100% trustworthy (ha ha, they're not).

This man, regardless of what he bloody well looked like, had *already* shown he couldn't be trusted because HE had ignored an arrangement HE had agreed to "

Exactly this xx

London

Mrs

He has if you read back

She said he apologised for wasting her time and spoiling her evening, but did not apologise for freaking her out. There was a slight typo though in what she said, so it could have been interpreted that he did apologise for freakish her out. Maybe the OP can clarify if she has had an apology for him freaking her out

You're correct that typo was that he'd NOT apologised for disrespecting my wishes or freaking me out. I challenged him on it and he has now apologised but it took several messages to get there so if I'm honest it doesn't feel like he meant it. But it's done.

My later post was what should us women do if we feel unsafe when clearly what I did gets me accused of having a strop, over reacting and being abusive. I really bloody wasn't! It does feel like women get blamed in our culture however they react and why La Fee's post resonated. "

You told this bloke you didn't want to meet in a car park. He met you in a dark car park with no other people around. Too right you were scared.

Mrs

He has if you read back

My later post was what should us women do if we feel unsafe when clearly what I did gets me accused of having a strop, over reacting and being abusive. I really bloody wasn't! It does feel like women get blamed in our culture however they react and why La Fee's post resonated. "

It's very hard to know what to do in a situation where, us as women, feel scared. It's particularly demoralising to be accused of having a strop in response to feeling scared. I don't think there's anything you can really learn from this incident OP, other can carry on with your safety parameters. Hopefully, if the man concerned has listened to you in any way, he will have a better understanding of the sort of things that might unnerve a woman and therefore never go against a woman's safety request again.

Mrs

This man, regardless of what he bloody well looked like, had *already* shown he couldn't be trusted because HE had ignored an arrangement HE had agreed to "

100% agree

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

I completely respect woman's safety. And myself. If your genuine it should be no problem. I would of even told you where I was sitting, so you wouldn't have to go looking around the pub.

"

This man, regardless of what he bloody well looked like, had *already* shown he couldn't be trusted because HE had ignored an arrangement HE had agreed to

100% agree "

this is why i have criteria s and preferences. if they cant respect this how they going to respect boundaries if you are playing together

Maybe his intentions were good,maybe all he wanted to do was escort you safely into th pub but, that was not what was agreed. He decided to depart from the plan, he didn't tell her that was what he had decided, he just went ahead and decided he knew what was best.

Maybe some other people do agree to meet in the car park,that is entirely up to them but that's not what was agreed on.

If someone does not respect what is agreed in one instance,how do you know they are going to respect it in any other case?

London

Seems to me there's two possibilities with this bloke

1. He's attached so doesn't want to be seen on public or

2. He thinks he knows better than a woman herself what is best for her.

Neither is very attractive.

So my questions:

Firstly, could you not recognise him from his pictures and secondly, if any guy had changed his mind on the meeting place the way he did, I for one wouldn't of met him! That's been done to me before. Ladies once your instinct kicks in, why don't you act upon it!!! It's a safety measure we automatically have inside of us.... It's not called paranoia as most men like to call it....

Think you've had a lucky escape and he's a disrespectful 'man' who has no idea about females... Take good care of yourself sweetie x you did right...

"I completely respect woman's safety. And myself. If your genuine it should be no problem. I would of even told you where I was sitting, so you wouldn't have to go looking around the pub. "

This is the right way x

"Seems to me there's two possibilities with this bloke

Neither is very attractive. "

Too many 1,2 of these types on here

"Seems to me there's two possibilities with this bloke

Neither is very attractive.

Too many 1,2 of these types on here "

and they get found out usually

Regardless of anything else, your instinct said leave and you did. That is the right thing.

Being in the car park by accident of arriving at the same time, ok could happen. Following you around the car park is no accident, and is a bit creepy.

If he is so old fashioned that he feels women need escorting into a pub, probably a bad meet anyway, but he could have waited by the door and greeted you by opening it.

I suspect you either dodged a bad experience, or more likely you dodged a dull experience with a man who doesn't have the confidence to walk into a bar alone.

You are all assuming that she made it crystal clear to him prior to meeting, this may not be the case though, yet he's the villain.

"You are all assuming that she made it crystal clear to him prior to meeting, this may not be the case though, yet he's the villain. "

Do you think he didn't realise that he was supposed to meet her inside?

London

"You are all assuming that she made it crystal clear to him prior to meeting, this may not be the case though, yet he's the villain. "

You've been defending him for a while and have not mentioned this previously. Hence it was perfectly reasonable to assume that was not disputed.

Well the OP said quite clearly earlier in the thread she had told him NOT to meet her in the car park and had been quite specific about it.

the original post explains very clearly that he offered to meet in the car park and she said very plainly that she did not want to meet anyone in a dark car park. Just sounds like a typical middle aged man who knows better than a woman who needs to be looked after regardless of what she herself thinks..its just arrogance...and far far from 'honourable' , or 'gentlemanly'.

"You are all assuming that she made it crystal clear to him prior to meeting, this may not be the case though, yet he's the villain.

You've been defending him for a while and have not mentioned this previously. Hence it was perfectly reasonable to assume that was not disputed. "

Our long term playmate is a man who we have the greatest respect for, but he doesn't always think. We forgive his transgressions because we know him well and we have good relationship with him. However if someone came on the forum and complained about something he had done as a result of not thinking properly, I would say to the forum he's a nice guy who would never deliberately disrespect someone. But I would also acknowledge that he had done wrong. I would not stick up for the transgression he had commited however good a friend he is.

Mrs

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

The OP has already stated on numerous occasions that he had agreed to meet her INSIDE the pub, how could he not know what he's agreed to?

I get the he's your friend and you're being loyal in defending him. However, I feel that going against her wishes the he AGREED to prior to the meet is indefensible

Onestepoutofthedoor

Maybe he want's to come on the forums later and give his version of event's.

"You are all assuming that she made it crystal clear to him prior to meeting, this may not be the case though, yet he's the villain.

Maybe he want's to come on the forums later and give his version of event's."

be the 1st of a few in the years i bet

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It is the case, re her original post, sounds perfectly clear to me. And no one has called him a villain, just disrespectful for not sticking to what she had arranged with him prior to meeting which HE HAD AGREED TO!!!

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Maybe he want's to come on the forums later and give his version of event's."

this would be a very good idea, unlikely to happen though

By *rshottyWoman  over a year ago

near

This is why we need to be able to leave neg feedback. Its guys like this that make the site dangerous for us women. I was on the site a few years ago and i had a meet with a guy who just wouldnt take no (he looked nothing like his pics) luckily we met in public and a stranger told him to leave me be. Put me off for a while and i hate to think how his next meet was

East Yorkshire

"This is why we need to be able to leave neg feedback. Its guys like this that make the site dangerous for us women. I was on the site a few years ago and i had a meet with a guy who just wouldnt take no (he looked nothing like his pics) luckily we met in public and a stranger told him to leave me be. Put me off for a while and i hate to think how his next meet was "

To be clear I don't believe he is dangerous, nor is he married as some have suggested. I'm sure he thought he was being a gentleman and I said that to him in my message last night. This thread was about him disrespecting my wish, following me around a car park and not apologising for freaking me out until this was posted and even then it took a few messages. I wanted to know what others would have done and it seems I'm not the exception to the rule as he suggested I was.

What I hope he's realised is how creepy his behaviour comes across as if you're not expecting it and when I said not to meet in the car park. Did I recognise him? No it was dark, he could have been anyone! It's fine the person who knows him saying he had a good intention but if you don't know someone, you go by their behaviours and in this case, his behaviour was imho creepy and disrespectful.

Trust gone in an instant

London

"This is why we need to be able to leave neg feedback. Its guys like this that make the site dangerous for us women. I was on the site a few years ago and i had a meet with a guy who just wouldnt take no (he looked nothing like his pics) luckily we met in public and a stranger told him to leave me be. Put me off for a while and i hate to think how his next meet was

To be clear I don't believe he is dangerous, nor is he married as some have suggested. I'm sure he thought he was being a gentleman and I said that to him in my message last night. This thread was about him disrespecting my wish, following me around a car park and not apologising for freaking me out until this was posted and even then it took a few messages. I wanted to know what others would have done and it seems I'm not the exception to the rule as he suggested I was.

What I hope he's realised is how creepy his behaviour comes across as if you're not expecting it and when I said not to meet in the car park. Did I recognise him? No it was dark, he could have been anyone! It's fine the person who knows him saying he had a good intention but if you don't know someone, you go by their behaviours and in this case, his behaviour was imho creepy and disrespectful.

Trust gone in an instant "

Exactly. Not realising that following a lone woman around in a car park is not on is someone with little nous.

If he thought it better to meet you in the car park after all. He could have messaged you and suggested that.

East Yorkshire

"This is why we need to be able to leave neg feedback. Its guys like this that make the site dangerous for us women. I was on the site a few years ago and i had a meet with a guy who just wouldnt take no (he looked nothing like his pics) luckily we met in public and a stranger told him to leave me be. Put me off for a while and i hate to think how his next meet was

Trust gone in an instant

Exactly. Not realising that following a lone woman around in a car park is not on is someone with little nous.

If he thought it better to meet you in the car park after all. He could have messaged you and suggested that. "

Yes. And I'd have declined the meet if they were his rules. Simple

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Trust gone in an instant "

thanks for clarifying yet again OP, you should not feel the need to justify your behaviour, he was in the wrong for being disrespectful.

Hope you're okay after what must have been a very frightening experience.We all have a responsibility for our own safety. However, having said that, it can be a very dangerous world, especially if you are, in this particular case, a vulnerable woman on her own. Moreover, it was agreed beforehand and in explicit terms, that the meet would be in the pub and not in some darkened car park. Understandably, he did freak you out, period. An apology might well be a moot point here because he didn't respect your boundaries. Any right-minded person would have to question his integrity and intentions.

You did totally the right thing if you feel not right in anyway you should always listen to your first instincts it about mutual respect and he should not of gone against set meeting does and don't do I would say you did the right thing all my best naughty wishes Darren x

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Ok I'm just going to post some of my bad experiences here, some of these were from guys I had previously met and boundaries were initially respected, one was a random fab guy in the pool, the rest have been via pm on here, his only knows how they think things like the following are acceptable...

I've had a stalker and two guys trying to get into my house at two am also been threatened with r@pe been told I know where you live, work driving round town looking for you etc. I went swimming the other weekend some weirdo came up and started letching over me in the pool. It's horrific the way some behave.

I would report him also, as this is a massive safety concern! The moment a guy makes me feel uncomfortable regardless if we are talking on here, another platform or even at a meet I end it there and then and explain why. If he does not want to accept that then that is his problem, but my concern would be how many other women is he doing this to and how many don't have the confidence to drive/walk off and go through with it...?

By *ANDA2Couple  over a year ago

Henley Arden

[Removed by poster at 17/10/17 14:19:52]

East Yorkshire

"Ok I'm just going to post some of my bad experiences here, some of these were from guys I had previously met and boundaries were initially respected, one was a random fab guy in the pool, the rest have been via pm on here, his only knows how they think things like the following are acceptable...

I've had a stalker and two guys trying to get into my house at two am also been threatened with r@pe been told I know where you live, work driving round town looking for you etc. I went swimming the other weekend some weirdo came up and started letching over me in the pool. It's horrific the way some behave."

Sorry you've had these experiences. I've been stalked twice, once from another swinging website from a guy who tried to force me into bareback during a meet but I managed to get out. I also posted a thread maybe a week or so ago about a guy from here who messaged telling me he wanted to break in and r*pe me and there were even apologists for that (thread removed due to content).

I don't think guys really know how it is for women. I cannot apologise for being freaked out when followed around a dark car park. He acknowledged in a message that I said meet in the pub not in the car park so the argument I wasn't clear as put forward by his friend is flawed.

Thanks all for your input

You've been defending him for a while and have not mentioned this previously. Hence it was perfectly reasonable to assume that was not disputed. "

I've maintained throughout that there are two sides to the story and you are all only hearing one. It would be unfair of me to quote him verbatum as their private texts are between them and I don't want to break site rules. I do know more information but it's not my place to say it.

It's going to be impossible for him to join the thread at this point to try and explain himself as he's already been hung drawn and quartered by the baying mob

East Yorkshire

"

I've maintained throughout that there are two sides to the story and you are all only hearing one. It would be unfair of me to quote him verbatum as their private texts are between them and I don't want to break site rules. I do know more information but it's not my place to say it.

It's going to be impossible for him to join the thread at this point to try and explain himself as he's already been hung drawn and quartered by the baying mob"

He accepts I said not to meet in the car park to meet in the pub and that he didn't. I can't think of anything that you could be referring to. I don't believe I've misrepresented anything in this thread. The fact remains he followed me in a dark car park after I'd said not to meet in the car park.

He is of course welcome to start another thread. I've just collated all the messages for reference and I may send them to a friend so they can start posting third hand comments on any other thread