FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Guys who use PREP as prevention

Guys who use PREP as prevention

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hey swingers

I'm finding more guys using PREP as defacto prevention ie instead of condoms. They want oral. (I always use condom for anal).

What they are doing seems dangerous to me.

It doesn't protect against non HIV STDs some of which are quite nasty.

Taking any drugs when you don't need to seems silly

I wonder if it encourages resistance to emerge. I know it's not an antibiotic but still these viruses love mutating

And who knows what new nasty bugs someone will find in semen one day. Like HIV wasn't known till quite recent

I know some swingers do bareback so this is irrelevant to you.

But for swingers who play safe, what do you make of PREP?

I understand there are medics /nurses on here who know a lot of the recent advances so particularly interested to hear from them and any others who have looked into this.

Thanks!

PS I'm not talking about PREP in addition to condoms which seems to me a good idea.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *amdenfunMan  over a year ago

London

Interesting topic - nothing to add, just flagging.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Hey swingers

I'm finding more guys using PREP as defacto prevention ie instead of condoms. They want oral. (I always use condom for anal).

What they are doing seems dangerous to me.

It doesn't protect against non HIV STDs some of which are quite nasty.

Taking any drugs when you don't need to seems silly

I wonder if it encourages resistance to emerge. I know it's not an antibiotic but still these viruses love mutating

And who knows what new nasty bugs someone will find in semen one day. Like HIV wasn't known till quite recent

I know some swingers do bareback so this is irrelevant to you.

But for swingers who play safe, what do you make of PREP?

I understand there are medics /nurses on here who know a lot of the recent advances so particularly interested to hear from them and any others who have looked into this.

Thanks!

PS I'm not talking about PREP in addition to condoms which seems to me a good idea.

"

Don't get me started.. I raged on someone who was advising buying this at pharmacies in Thailand without prescription.

It's a prescribed drug for a reason.. some of the side effects are life threatening.

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

What is it?

"What is it?"

Something prescribed to partners of people who have HIV, to help them enjoy a healthy sex life, it's meant to be used with a condom as well, I may be wrong on that front as I only learnt about this recently.

The OP describes it pretty well.

It can cause lots of problems with your liver.. also reacts with some other medications. You need to be assessed thoroughly before, during and after you stop taking it.. not just to see if you have HIV.. to see how your body is coping with the drug.

"What is it?

Something prescribed to partners of people who have HIV, to help them enjoy a healthy sex life, it's meant to be used with a condom as well, I may be wrong on that front as I only learnt about this recently.

The OP describes it pretty well.

It can cause lots of problems with your liver.. also reacts with some other medications. You need to be assessed thoroughly before, during and after you stop taking it.. not just to see if you have HIV.. to see how your body is coping with the drug."

I only looked it up because some goon slagged off my advice about condoms and getting to know someone personally as rubbish, potentially dangerous advice. Said the ONLY reason it wasn't used here was because of the cost.

He reccomended this instead of my advice. As it was a pharmaceutical drug and I'm well aware you can buy all sorts in Thai pharmacies.. I looked it up.

I told him if he's posting that advice, he'd best post the side effects as well.. which he didn't. So I did.

He shut up afterwards.

I DESPISE people who give out medical advice only a doctor is qualified to give. They can cause awful damage.

The NHS is currently trialling it to evaluate effectiveness. You can buy it online and there are a number of people using it.

It's not an excuse to not wear condoms, since, as mentioned previously, it gives no protection against any other STI's.

Unfortunately, some people see HIV as the only STI they need to worry about.

I think research did show that recorded cases of infection from STI's other than HIV among PrEP users had increased, but findings weren't conclusive.

As previous poster mentioned, there are possible side-effects and liver and kidney function has to be monitored before starting on PrEP,and while taking it.

I imagine if the trial is successful and the NHS decides to make the drug available, it will only be to people in high risk groups.

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is not proven to be totally effectice..

"Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is not proven to be totally effectice.."

PEP and PREP are 2 different drugs, for different types of exposure or potential exposure

"Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is not proven to be totally effectice.."

They are talking about PRE exposure. Not POST.

But yes it's not 100% effective and you ARE meant to use it with condoms.

Having said that there is an element of individual liberty here. Someone might be afraid of HIV but not Chlamydia or Syphilis as they are treated with antibiotics. Yes there are resistant cases but my understanding is that these are rare.

It's up to individual preference and risk.

» Add a new message to this topic