FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Mirena coil help please.

Mirena coil help please.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Today the doctor has advised I get a mirena implant.

I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any experience with this and how it was?

Looking at the common side effects I'm not keen.

Thank you I'm advance.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a 5 year one fitted, no problem with it, Ms x

I’m on my second one and had them for 8 years in total so far.

I understand it’s a bit of a pot luck when it comes to it being suited for people BUT I can honestly say that i’ve not had a single problem with them so far, in fact i’ve been periodless for 8 years now, and the low and topical hormone release means i’ve not had mood swings or put on any weight due to them.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the mirena!

By *xcurvydxxWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

I have the mirena coil and was abit unsure at first, not so nice after you have it done with bleeding but it settles down. I had trouble with my first one but got replaced after 12 months and 3 years on its the best decision I made. No periods. I put weight on with it but didn't really have an active lifestyle. Only side effects I get is sore boobs some months.

Thank you ladies.

The side effects read like a horror story!

By *sRedbbwWoman  over a year ago

Amwythig

Not many problems, things can get a bit sore if you have deep rough sex and maybe the odd period type cramp and no period. I've had mirenas in for 15 years and those are the worst things. Once it settles down after insertion it's the best contraceptive in my view!

[Removed by poster at 20/02/18 10:22:04]

By *sRedbbwWoman  over a year ago

Amwythig

"Thank you ladies.

The side effects read like a horror story!"

Don't ever Google the side effects! I did once when I was having a bit of pain and omg like any Google of illnesses, you think I'd be dead by now

"Thank you ladies.

The side effects read like a horror story!"

Stop googling!! Haha

I nearly didn’t make it for my fitting the very first time as I was so terrified of people’s recounting of their horrific experiences and low and behold, it was a slightly uncomfy but rather painless procedure (though I was sensible enough to pop a couple of ibuprofens and a mild tranquilliser before I left home).

I had a five year coil without problems, before having a Mirena. It wasn’t for me. Yes, it lightened periods, but I also bled for a week before and after my period. Also, I cried all the time!

Had to have it removed.

If it works, great. If not, have it removed.

By *hatterbox 2Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

I had the mirena coil fitted too was ok at first then my periods became so irregular and very heavy bleeding

I've stopped googling. Promise.

So long as it can be removed if it doesn't suit then that seems OK.

Thank you x

I only had mine for 3 months. I bled constantly and the cramps got unbearable. I've heard of lots of women including my best friend say it's the best thing for them. We are all different . Good luck with it x

"I've stopped googling. Promise.

Thank you x "

I removed my own Not really recommended though x

Thank you x I removed my own Not really recommended though x"

Hard as nails you xx

By *inkySeeKinkyDoWoman  over a year ago

'tween PontyCarlo & CasVegas in West Yorks

Ive had three now and never had any issues...the only downside...NO PERIODS AT ALL YIPEEEEEEE

Thank you x I removed my own Not really recommended though x

Hard as nails you xx "

lol I couldn't stand the pain much longer. They went as soon as I removed it xx

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I've one for years. Had some slight on and off bleeding in the first 3 month which normal until the body adjusts to it. Since then no problems. It's great! The coil can easily be removed by a gp so should you struggle it's no big deal.

I had one fitted in 2016 to try and regulate my periods but I had trouble from the start and it made them worse then I had sex and had to have it taken out a week after due to unbelievable pain

Dr said my body rejected it because of an immune system disorder but my sister has one with no issues !

"Today the doctor has advised I get a mirena implant.

Thank you I'm advance. "

m

Coil or implant? They are different things x

By *ieman300Man  over a year ago

Best Greggs in Cheshire East

Just to add to the don't google mantra. I have lost count of the number of things that could kill me according to google. Even manflu lol.

By *is vixen at playCouple  over a year ago

Dundee

I'm on my second one, first was replaced in October. Had no problems or periods with the first one. This one took a few months to settle down, earlier this year I was having week on, week off for a while. But it seems to have settled now.

I'd like my period to totally stop again but if it doesn't it's ok. Tracking it for the time being to see if there's a pattern.

V

I had bled 3 weeks a month & had pain from the moment I got it. No kids so pain was to be expected but it was pure agony. Was told to give it 6 months & it would settle, never did & I got it out. Pain didn't stop & it turned out I had a fibroid in my womb that was the cause of it. So the coil highlighted that, also found out the coil was never effective as contraception because of the fibroid.

Not very helpful, I know but it was a begrudgingly positive experience for me

Thank you I'm advance. m

Coil or implant? They are different things x"

O. The coil.

Sits in the womb and gives out hormones. That's right isn't it?

I was like you, kept putting it off due to horrendous stories I read online. However, eventually I chose to try and see for myself. Took about 3 months to get it fitted as I was not aware not every GP is qualified to do it, and as I work daytime it was not easy getting appointment to suit me.

Procedure was a bit uncomfortable but nothing major. Some bleeding afterwards, and I still get some spotting from time to time, but no periods. Did not notice any mood swings, weight gain etc.

I did have some complaints from now my ex who told me he could feel my coil during sex, in some positions. Nobody else complained lol.

Apparently, it's very easy to be removed.

Hope it helps- I guess like with any contraception method, there will be people for whom it works and those for whom it doesn't. In my opinion- definitely worth a shot as you can get up to 5 years protection against pregnancy.

Thank you I'm advance. m

Coil or implant? They are different things x

O. The coil.

Sits in the womb and gives out hormones. That's right isn't it?"

Yea the implant goes in your arm. I will have to look at the coil next time as at the moment ladies over 50 cannot have the implant

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I have the Mirena coil, this is my third one. I have had no real problems with it apart from a little bit of an outbreak of facial spots when I had it inserted, and some backache probably from the hormones.

I have had no problems with it in over 2 years and I'm very happy with it.

It hasn't changed how my periods are, as I know some people have almost no period.

I'll stick to my depo... The stories I've read about the coil. Ouch.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Hated it, had it for 10 months, and I had to keep asking for removal, only telling them I would do it myself if I left the surgery this time with it still in place, took 18-24 months for me to return to normal after it was gone.

Constant headaches, back pains, mood swings, weight gain, nausea, exhaustion I mean couldn't keep my eyes open past 4pm, had the skin of a teenager, stomach cramps, very sore boobs and bleed almost constantly must have been 5-6 weeks in those 10 months when I didn't, and I don't mean spotting but a heavy bleed.

Nasty thing

had one fitted for 3 years no probbs but had sore boobs now and again

I tried pretty much every form of female contraceptive out there and found the mirena was by far the best. Once in I had a a few spots but that settled quickly and I noticed no other side effects.

Unfortunately after a couple of years I did start having bleeding and cramps and it was found to have slipped down towards the cervix and needed to come out but it was more down my own physiology than a fault with the coil.

Unfortunately though what works brilliantly for one isn't necessarily what works for another

By *hingy2Woman  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I had the "other coil" for a few years kept getting infections lots of pain just before periods and lots of bleeding.

Had the mirena for over a year now bit of bleeding and discomfort for first 3/4 months then it settled down, no infections or problems.

Xxx

By *lceeWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Depends on your history. I’ve always had heavy periods, and when I had a hormone implant fitted it was six years of utter nightmare. Libido crashed, gained weight, mood swings...the works! And I was bleeding more days than not. I genuinely never put two and two together though for all that time.

I moved onto the copper coil maybe eighteen months ago now and it has been brilliant. Periods are back to being normally heavy, mood swings have almost disappeared and the constant craving for food has almost vanished. Yes, it wasn’t fun having it inserted but it has been worth every nanosecond of that discomfort.

But I had those symptoms in lesser degrees when I took the pill as well, something I can now see was already affecting me. If you’ve experienced those then maybe think about it. If not, then I would say go for it - they have some of the best coverage rates of any contraceptive devices.

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Everyone has different experiences with it.

If it suits you it is the best thing ever and if not you wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It really does polarize opinion for all who have tried it.

I had mine fitted 2 years ago. I bled almost continually for 2 months and then spotted for another 2 months. I was ready to pull it out myself but persevered. It took 9 months to settle down properly. I'm one of the unfortunate few for whom it doesn't stop my periods completely. These days I bleed very lightly for 2 or 3 days. Before the mirena I used to bleed for up to 10 days and very heavy. I was anaemic and very tired all the time. I had severe cramps before the coil which were very debilitating and get none now.

In the early weeks of having the coil I did experience pain in my lower abdomen on the right side. It was a sharp pain and very uncomfortable but settled down pretty quickly.

Before having it fitted I read all the horror stories online and nearly didn't have it done but i'm so glad I did.

I have put on some weight since having it fitted. Not sure if that can be attributed to the coil though because I stopped exercising and started eating loads of crap

Had 3 Copper T Coils [over 15 years] - then 3 Mirena Coils [over 15 years].

Would choose the Mirena over the Copper T as I had no periods and no PMT symptoms with the Mirenas.

Does take a little while to settle at first - but everyone is different, so don't be put off by other people's experience - yours WILL be unique to you.

By *nsatiable Needy BratWoman  over a year ago

Here and There

"I’m on my second one and had them for 8 years in total so far.

I understand it’s a bit of a pot luck when it comes to it being suited for people BUT I can honestly say that i’ve not had a single problem with them so far, in fact i’ve been periodless for 8 years now, and the low and topical hormone release means i’ve not had mood swings or put on any weight due to them.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the mirena! "

Same here. On my second one and period free for seven years. I highly recommend trying it and seeing if it works for the individual because if it does it's fantastic. Best contraceptive I've ever used.

By *reamytitwankCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

The Mirena is a coil which releases a progestogen hormone into the womb. This thickens the mucus from your cervix, making it difficult for sperm to move through and reach an egg. It also thins the womb lining so that it's less likely to accept a fertilised egg. It may also stop ovulation (the release of an egg) in some women.

And the contraceptive injection steadily releases the hormone progestogen into your bloodstream, which prevents the release of an egg each month (ovulation).

It also thickens the cervical mucus, which makes it difficult for sperm to move through the cervix, and thins the lining of the womb so a fertilised egg is less likely to implant itself.

By *nsatiable Needy BratWoman  over a year ago

Here and There

"Everyone has different experiences with it.

If it suits you it is the best thing ever and if not you wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It really does polarize opinion for all who have tried it.

I had mine fitted 2 years ago. I bled almost continually for 2 months and then spotted for another 2 months. I was ready to pull it out myself but persevered. It took 9 months to settle down properly. I'm one of the unfortunate few for whom it doesn't stop my periods completely. These days I bleed very lightly for 2 or 3 days. Before the mirena I used to bleed for up to 10 days and very heavy. I was anaemic and very tired all the time. I had severe cramps before the coil which were very debilitating and get none now.

In the early weeks of having the coil I did experience pain in my lower abdomen on the right side. It was a sharp pain and very uncomfortable but settled down pretty quickly.

Before having it fitted I read all the horror stories online and nearly didn't have it done but i'm so glad I did.

I have put on some weight since having it fitted. Not sure if that can be attributed to the coil though because I stopped exercising and started eating loads of crap "

A friend of mine had very similar issues to yourself and the same outcomes too. It made a huge difference for her day to day. I also have friends for whom it doesn't suit unfortunately for them. Shame as it really is a wonderful thing if it works for you.

Ditto on the eating crap

Cardiff

[Removed by poster at 20/02/18 13:02:35]

Cardiff

The Mirena coil never worked for me. Still had heavy periods and also gave me BV which I have never suffered from till I had to coil put in. Had it removed no more BV.

Now on the Combined pill now and it is the best thing I ever did. No problems whatsoever.

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

Had it for a year and gave up. I had it placed to ease off on the bleeding, which was getting ridiculous, up to a point I didn't really want to leave the house when it was that time. But for me the coil didn't work. I had irregular bleeding, bleeding after sex. It was basically a no go zone for about 3 weeks a month, if not more. Sex with slightly bigger people was a definite no.

I'm now on the mini pill. Works fantastic!! Haven't had a period since I started it 2 years ago, with the exception of one time after I forgot to take it.

Definitely worth a try OP, if it works for you it's perfect. But there are other alternatives if it doesn't work out x

You lot are fantastic x

Brilliant helpful replies.

I think I'll give it a go. They can fit it in my surgery so it's worth a try.

The pill I'm on at the moment is making me bleed excessively so I have to change to something else.

Thank you again x

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman  over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

On my second one and no problems

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

"Had it for a year and gave up. I had it placed to ease off on the bleeding, which was getting ridiculous, up to a point I didn't really want to leave the house when it was that time. But for me the coil didn't work. I had irregular bleeding, bleeding after sex. It was basically a no go zone for about 3 weeks a month, if not more. Sex with slightly bigger people was a definite no.

I'm now on the mini pill. Works fantastic!! Haven't had a period since I started it 2 years ago, with the exception of one time after I forgot to take it.

Definitely worth a try OP, if it works for you it's perfect. But there are other alternatives if it doesn't work out x"

Forgot to mention all the UTIs, that also magically stopped when I had the blasted thing removed

But for most women it works, so go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always have it removed again x

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

This may help too...

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum-search/Mirena

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

I’m just about to get my 3rd one fitted. I love it & wish I’d got it sooner instead of trying everything else! It’s uncomfortable going in (like a smear) & gave me a mild abdominal pain for a few hours, like a period cramp ... but after that, 5 years of no periods & no babies!!

I have friends who had issues & it’s not for everyone, but most people I know with it are fine!

If you do have issues, speak to your GP about removing it, but definitely give it a go!!

Good luck x

I was talked into having one by my doctor and i i bled for 3 months and it caused non stop pain it was just awful so I went back and discovered it had been put in wrong ! It was enough to put me off and I had it removed and refused to have again but have heard nothing but good things from other women I was just unlucky .. now use cerezette mini pill no periods ever

Put it this way since having it removed I’ve felt so much better.

I felt when I had it inserted there was always something that wasn’t quite right ~ UTI’s, BV, bleeding during sex, uncomfortable feeling which sometimes went into sharp pain. ~ all things that kept getting dismissed by medical professionals.

Like all contraception it works well for some and not with others, you’ll never know until you try it.

This is my second coil fitted and for me like anyone , it's the best form of contraception for me.

One bit of advice I did this the second time I had mine fitted, take some pain relief before you have it fitted.

You can feel slightly queasy after having it fitted or it might not effect you at all Op.

You may get cramps for a few days afterwards , you could bleed for a while after it being fitted.

And of course any problems or anything out of the ordinary I'd urge you to go back to the doctor's.

Good luck

By *apillon500Couple  over a year ago

kent

Had mine for 17 years - (replaced every 5). Works great for me. No bleeding whatsoever and hormones help with my migraines. Best thing ever.

Every one loves a scare story. If something does what its meant to it rarely gets a mention... I'm on my second and even losing the threads on the first one wasn't that big a deal. Just took a while to get it removed. I'd recommend. You don't know till you try.

By *LIRTWITHUSCouple  over a year ago

Chester

"The Mirena coil never worked for me. Still had heavy periods and also gave me BV which I have never suffered from till I had to coil put in. Had it removed no more BV.

Now on the Combined pill now and it is the best thing I ever did. No problems whatsoever.

"

I was same BV not nice. Also IBS & pain during intercourse some positions worse than others. Pill wasn't perfect had to take 2 x per day. I think it works if no gyn probs but after hyst op 6wks ago found out my problems were down to scaring on uterus so was never going to go away until menopause

Had no trouble what's so ever with mine and still in and isn't lost .Had no pain at all .Id highly recommend it .Best decision I made was getting it fitted .

Thank you so much ladies. You are all rather awesome xx

I had huge issues with mine, to the point I was hospitalised and on an intravenous antibiotic drip for 4 days after developing PID. I then had a further 2 weeks of antibiotics to take at home.

However mine was the extreme side effects of having it fitted.

Currently I'm using the depro injection which is the same hormone as the coil, but without the foreign object being inserted, and so far no issues.

Had one fitted and had horrendous pain (I acyually screamed) but part of that was the doc deciding to use a cervical clamp to push it in...ow. After there was low level pain and discomfort and then my body pushed it out a few weeks later and all the pain went.

I had 1 put in last year straight after a termination so had already had anaesthetic injections in my cervix so didn't feel a thing.

I bled for 3 months solid with it though so had it removed, totally painless, but had quite a bad haemhorrage the day after.

It didn't suit me at all unfortunately

I had one fitted after my son was born, (he's 21 soon), I had heard great things about it and Google wasn't really around to scaremonger. Unfortunately I was one of the small percentage that couldn't get along with it, I had constant pain and my ex complained that he could feel the threads on the end of his penis during sex. I had the treads snipped really short but he still complained. Getting the threads cut short was not a good idea as it made it harder to remove after 11 months of preserving with it. I would try it and see, ignore Google if you can.

"I had one fitted after my son was born, (he's 21 soon), I had heard great things about it and Google wasn't really around to scaremonger. Unfortunately I was one of the small percentage that couldn't get along with it, I had constant pain and my ex complained that he could feel the threads on the end of his penis during sex. I had the treads snipped really short but he still complained. Getting the threads cut short was not a good idea as it made it harder to remove after 11 months of preserving with it. I would try it and see, ignore Google if you can. "

I went on to getting a depro jab every three months which I had for years afterwards without any issues, no pain, no periods.

By *rustratedmissWoman  over a year ago

York

I've had mine for nearly three years now. I get period pain which I never had before and do still bleed. It's not particularly heavy but can happen numerous times in the month. I don't want to takes pill so this was my compromise- when it comes time to renew I have some thinking to do

Had mine in for 3 years and best thing I ever did although it was uncomfortable for the first week and I bled on and off for a couple of months, just make sure you ask them to cut the strings short

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I'm on my 3Rd now side effects thankfully.

By *arpePinguisWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

I'm on my third, no hassles, love it! I did struggle for a month after first insertion, cramps and bleeding, but that was it, no periods for 12 years and no side effects. My sister recently had one fitted- I'm childfree, she's had 2- with similar cramping and bleeds at the start but fine now.

Its more uncomfortable than a smear getting it fitted, you're advised to take ibuprofen before your appointment and not to expect to drive home. Small price to pay for years of no periods!

Got it fitted today. Very crampy and sore so far. Drove myself home though.

Taken painkillers and taken it steady. Refused to carry buckets of milk.

Hopefully it will stop my bleeding (9 weeks and counting)

By *igress69Woman  over a year ago

belfast

Hope things settle down for you. I've had one 15years and have had no probs at all. Good luck xx

I'm on my third one. Never had any problems over 12 years. Always get a bit of bleeding and cramps the first week or 2 after fitting but that's it. Best thing I ever did

I’m on my second, soon to be third and I’ve never had an issue with them.

Geeky x

"Got it fitted today. Very crampy and sore so far. Drove myself home though.

"

48 hours is the usual advice to expect cramping for, have warm baths, use hot water bottle/heat pad and take it easy. Give it time to settle down, if after a month you find it doesn't suit you, go back it's pretty easy removal and usually not as painful as insertion

My ex had a coil I could feel it when we were shagging the doc cut the cords and it was cool

Wirral

"Got it fitted today. Very crampy and sore so far. Drove myself home though.

"

I had mine replaced last Tuesday - cramps lasted couple of days & I’ve been fine since Thursday with just a little spotting.

That’s me covered until 2023

Wirral

Hope you’re works out for you OP x

I’m happy with mine, on my second one

My first one was fine and had no issues, second one I was losing so much bloody pretty much all the time so had to get it removed

[Removed by poster at 22/03/18 09:38:54]

I've had 2.. First one no periods.. Second one longer heavy periods! Although I've messed mine up slightly by taking a pill to delay coming on several times the last few months.

I do highly recommend the coil though as just gives peace of mind

Have you thought about the Depo injection? Its totally stopped my periods, and iv not noticed any major side effects. Iv been on it for a few years and wouldnt want to swap to anything else. X

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Had one put in 2years ago. I was still bleeding so am now also on the mini pill. Have not had any real issues.

Things seem to be settling down now. Not so crampy but still feel a bit odd in the belly area.

Bleeding seems to have nearly stopped too.

Keep an eye on threads and regularly feel for them.

Tilted uterus, heavy periods and the mirena resulted in my now 5 year old..

"Keep an eye on threads and regularly feel for them.

Tilted uterus, heavy periods and the mirena resulted in my now 5 year old.. "

Eeeek.

By *essica jamiesonWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

Thank you I'm advance. "

hi! I just got my mirena coil removed " came out of a relationship! After the first few mths of an achy belly it settled down great! Spotting every few mths i can honestly say it was fine for me! No side effects whatsoever! X

Mrs has one, no problems for her, However, sometimes dirung sex I can feel the ends which can be a bit uncomfortable.

By *itch n BollockCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

I've had mine removed. Completely lost my sex drive, had on of off stomach pains. Each person will react differently to it.

Opted for sterilisation instead as I already have 3 kids and don't want any more. Lol

The coil is very safe as others have said.

Side effects wise you get less hormonal side effects as the progesterone only affects the local area.

Plus the drug companies have to list all the side effects however rare even if they are 1 in 10,000? occurance. Even drinking coffee if you listed every side effect it would scare you.

If anything changed or you do get side effects go back to your GP and try something else such as a Depo.

By *utie91Woman  over a year ago

Hitchin

I’m on my second..... initially had spotting for 3 months... so was advised to top up the hormone with some oral levonorgestrel.. a few days in and my bleeding stopped for the next 4 n half years. When I had it swapped. I had small regular periods for the first 3 months and now I’m period free again.

Also loads less pain that I used to get having actually periods.

» Add a new message to this topic