FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Thoughts about PrEP

Thoughts about PrEP

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *imber373 OP   Man  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

As a bi-curious man I occasionally play with select guys or mf couples

Taking my sexual health serious I’m amazed how many seem to be on PrEP. Is this the new wonder pill? I see it frequently on profiles, their status e.g. negative, on PrEP.

What do you think about it? Can you recommend the treatment? Thanks for your comments

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

At the risk of sounding ignorant, it doesn’t sound very enticing.

By *ab jamesMan  over a year ago

ribble valley

It stops the hiv virus from infecting the user. Trials have shown good results, some say it is safer than using a condom. Wonder drug?... Very expensive

Milton Keynes

"At the risk of sounding ignorant, it doesn’t sound very enticing. "

No it doesn’t. I can’t help but picture a group of people who engage in risky and unsafe sex

Each to their own I guess

By *eachyCoupleCouple  over a year ago

the sunny South

It’s going to have a huge effect in reducing levels of HIV infection. Medically, it is a great forward stride in a battle against a killer virus.

By *ungBlackTopMan  over a year ago

salford

Doesn't protect against gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis c so at your peril. Please also realise it's not available on the NHS so where are these guys getting it from? Plus it's the same drug used to treat HIV so most with the disease will claim to be on PreP but actually are undetectable and already have the virus. It's almost 100% effective in stopping the transmission of the virus so that's the only good thing. I think many have become complacent since PreP though. You should still be carefully regardless pal. Make sure you get it from a reliable source.

ribble valley

"At the risk of sounding ignorant, it doesn’t sound very enticing.

No it doesn’t. I can’t help but picture a group of people who engage in risky and unsafe sex

Each to their own I guess"

If you imagine unsafe/risky sex OP. Why are you interested? If it was proven to be safer than a condom, would you not be interested? I believe it is still having big trials (including the UK) Have you never ripped a condom?

Milton Keynes

If you imagine unsafe/risky sex OP. Why are you interested? If it was proven to be safer than a condom, would you not be interested? I believe it is still having big trials (including the UK) Have you never ripped a condom? "

I’ve come across people who see PrEP as an excuse not to use condoms in the first place.

Made me kinda nervous, as it offers zero protection against other STIs.

Ripped condoms happen, not often, but it is a worry.

ribble valley

If you imagine unsafe/risky sex OP. Why are you interested? If it was proven to be safer than a condom, would you not be interested? I believe it is still having big trials (including the UK) Have you never ripped a condom?

I’ve come across people who see PrEP as an excuse not to use condoms in the first place.

Made me kinda nervous, as it offers zero protection against other STIs.

Ripped condoms happen, not often, but it is a worry.

"

Of course it offers no protection against other sti, s. Some people will always ask for bareback, it's down to you to say no. This drug has the potential to save lives, but it's best if used in combination with a condom. When you say your experience, is other men not wishing to wear a condom, it puzzles me why you're interested...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

PreP is a game changer. If you can remember that ad in the 80’s AIDS put the fear of god in people. Especially the gay world. Using Prep stops the transmission of the virus from HIV positive person to another. It’s one pill per day to manage the condition.

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

PrEP is about £50 a month privately. I'd it had been around when I was a call girl I would totally have been taking it even though I was super paranoid about how safe I was. If I start meeting more often, or going to clubs more often I would totally make that investment for my safety...

However, I wouldn't mention it on my profile at all. I would keep that to myself because the last thing I would want is for people to think they could pressure me into risky sex. So I'd be suspicious of those that mention it too.

ribble valley

"PrEP is about £50 a month privately. I'd it had been around when I was a call girl I would totally have been taking it even though I was super paranoid about how safe I was. If I start meeting more often, or going to clubs more often I would totally make that investment for my safety...

However, I wouldn't mention it on my profile at all. I would keep that to myself because the last thing I would want is for people to think they could pressure me into risky sex. So I'd be suspicious of those that mention it too."

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's targeted to make sex safer, so it would seem to fit the ideal of people wanting to engage in safer sex. Most people don't always just rely on one thing for a hazard, they'll seek more comprehensive cover.

It's a treatment that has been regarded as the major driver in the huge fall in infection rates. It's wise to discuss protection methods of all types with clinic staff.

By *i winkersCouple  over a year ago

manchester

There is actually an open trial at the moment called impact trial for prep I (hayley) am actually on it and get it free from the NHS. I have been on it almost 6 months. Does mean I have to go for sexual health screenings every 11 weeks and they give me special evening appointments after work which is never a bad thing.

I know alot of Gum clinic are still looking for people for the trial especially women and hetero men. If it advances sexual health research why not get on the band wagon.

ribble valley

"There is actually an open trial at the moment called impact trial for prep I (hayley) am actually on it and get it free from the NHS. I have been on it almost 6 months. Does mean I have to go for sexual health screenings every 11 weeks and they give me special evening appointments after work which is never a bad thing.

I know alot of Gum clinic are still looking for people for the trial especially women and hetero men. If it advances sexual health research why not get on the band wagon. "

By *inkyfun2013Couple  over a year ago

lewisham

London councils currently have an advert campaign advocating a four part approach to sexual health - condoms, regular testing, prep and u=u (undetectable= untransmittable). They report that new diagnoses of HIV are down 42%.

Details at https://doitlondon.org/?

There can be no excuse for complacency and ignorance... My philosophy is 'if in doubt, then don't'..

We are all resposible for our owm actions.

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"As a bi-curious man I occasionally play with select guys or mf couples

Taking my sexual health serious I’m amazed how many seem to be on PrEP. Is this the new wonder pill? I see it frequently on profiles, their status e.g. negative, on PrEP.

What do you think about it? Can you recommend the treatment? Thanks for your comments

"

What’s a “select” guy?

Is a “non select” guy a disease ridden ne’er do well??

Genuinely interested why folk specify “select”........

the sunny South

"There is actually an open trial at the moment called impact trial for prep I (hayley) am actually on it and get it free from the NHS. I have been on it almost 6 months. Does mean I have to go for sexual health screenings every 11 weeks and they give me special evening appointments after work which is never a bad thing.

I know alot of Gum clinic are still looking for people for the trial especially women and hetero men. If it advances sexual health research why not get on the band wagon. "

Great. I (Mrs P) am looking at this option too. I see it as a positive step.

Milton Keynes

What’s a “select” guy?

"

Your comment made me chuckle, sorry if “select” did leave room for misinterpretation

Some people have random sex meets, shag 10-15 partners a night, whatever floats your boat.

I tend to play a different way. That’s all. No judgment.

It's great to help prevent HIV but I do think it increases risky sex practices. It's great for couples where one is known HIV and they want to have a Safeish sex life.

Users of PrEp are recommended to have 3 monthly sexual health tests and have protein levels checked too. It can be used as a one off ahead of a potential risky situation.

By *abrielle247Couple (FF)  over a year ago

PDI Gran Canaria

Anything that stops the spread of this disease has to be a win win situation for everyone. Yes it is available on the NHS under trial from the gum clinics, it doesn't remove your choice of other protection.

Burnleyish (She/They)

Oh I am so asking about it when I next go. As for testing every 11 weeks, well I test every 12 anyway so that's a win.

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

Just some advice. Prep is freely available on the NHS in Wales and Scotland.

In England there is a prep trial taking place within the NHS. There are still spaces available but not everywhere - for more information on this visit www.prepimpacttrial.org.uk

By *angbang guyMan  over a year ago

chester sometimes derby

I’ve been reading this thread with interest, I have a few views that I hope will appeal to a cross section of the community,

1 in the scene and the wider world Bareback goes on we will never change that and in my opinion in the last ten years within the scene it has got more and more prolific it would be rare you’d have couples approach you as a single not wanting safe fun esp in the clubs maybe 1-2 out of 10 now I’d say it’s 50%, unfortunately from what I’ve experienced and seen and from what couples and singles tell me condom use is decreasing,

2 we will never fully eradicate hiv or other diseases but this drug is a life changer for every one they reckon there is 1.5 million of us who are active have tried swinging or some form of extra sexual fun in the uk how many have at some point been bareback ? It must be a third? How many get tested regularly if we were honest ? In my mind of a third of people did take the no condom risk that’s 500 000 if only half went onto prep and we’re getting tested at least 6 monthly ( the doctors recommend 3 months) could we imagine the positive impact we would have in the wider scene? How fast we would be picking up the chlamydias and gonorrhoeas?let alone the real killer? To me I will never condem anyone who if they cannot or do not use condoms takes some form of safety measure.

Just a neutral view?

chester sometimes derby

"Anything that stops the spread of this disease has to be a win win situation for everyone. Yes it is available on the NHS under trial from the gum clinics, it doesn't remove your choice of other protection."

Here here

ribble valley

"I’ve been reading this thread with interest, I have a few views that I hope will appeal to a cross section of the community,

1 in the scene and the wider world Bareback goes on we will never change that and in my opinion in the last ten years within the scene it has got more and more prolific it would be rare you’d have couples approach you as a single not wanting safe fun esp in the clubs maybe 1-2 out of 10 now I’d say it’s 50%, unfortunately from what I’ve experienced and seen and from what couples and singles tell me condom use is decreasing,

2 we will never fully eradicate hiv or other diseases but this drug is a life changer for every one they reckon there is 1.5 million of us who are active have tried swinging or some form of extra sexual fun in the uk how many have at some point been bareback ? It must be a third? How many get tested regularly if we were honest ? In my mind of a third of people did take the no condom risk that’s 500 000 if only half went onto prep and we’re getting tested at least 6 monthly ( the doctors recommend 3 months) could we imagine the positive impact we would have in the wider scene? How fast we would be picking up the chlamydias and gonorrhoeas?let alone the real killer? To me I will never condem anyone who if they cannot or do not use condoms takes some form of safety measure.

Just a neutral view?"

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

We are completely safe sex, but we have had a condom split during sex many years ago which freaked us out.

We considered prep and if we were more active we would certainly use it as a back up on a back up.

We were not eligible for the trial as we were not active enough and because we used condoms.

Looked at the prep website to buy it privately and it seems a reasonable price, but the mechanism to buy it seems convoluted.

Our first payment was rejected and the second company we tried was out of stock.

It is a huge game changer but you need tests with it as a possible side effect can be an impact on the kidneys.

It will not irradicate hiv, but it has the potential to make it a rare disease.

I am looking to join the trial, I am a regular at gay saunas and have very few inhibitions and have sex with multiple partners weekly, this will provide additional protection. I have caught men barebacking me when I thought they had condoms on. In the heat of the moment these things can happen and temptation can be to let them continue.

I was offered prep just the other day at the clinic just for being a swinger. Nice of them but after discussion about my activity decided against it.

By *inaryGuyMan  over a year ago

Near the River

Anything that reduces the spread of HIV must be a good thing. But let’s not forget about STIs - particularly the rise of the super strains which are getting more difficult to treat

chester sometimes derby

"Anything that reduces the spread of HIV must be a good thing. But let’s not forget about STIs - particularly the rise of the super strains which are getting more difficult to treat"

Absolutely but if people start using prep whether they are regular or occasional barebackers or if it’s safe players making double sure the fact that you have to get tested every 3 months in a row should raise awareness of the other stds and get them found out that bit sooner it can only be a win win for the scene as a whole .

chester sometimes derby

[Removed by poster at 19/09/19 13:11:16]

"It’s going to have a huge effect in reducing levels of HIV infection. Medically, it is a great forward stride in a battle against a killer virus. "

Exactly, well said.

The trials are complete, it's 100% effective against HiV. I like most sexually active men, choose to buy privately (£60 for 5 month using the TT&SSs regime. q.v iwantprepnow.co.uk )

To be on PreP means that you have tested negative and will remain that way, after 40 years of scare tactics, it is a game changer & I'm confident of good sex with other men who choose PreP.

Sure it doesn't protect you from other STIs, but if your not checking on certain signs before you suck that cock or cunt, then you've still got a lot to learn.

I'm happy to take questions privately. Carpe diem.

What’s a “select” guy?

"

If I were to say I play with a select few I would be making a point that I don’t sleep with many people at all. Nothing to do with thinking I was managing to select non disease carrying lovers, although I always hope I have!!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

If you imagine unsafe/risky sex OP. Why are you interested? If it was proven to be safer than a condom, would you not be interested? I believe it is still having big trials (including the UK) Have you never ripped a condom? "

They are trialling it as been told that they are looking for high risk females to test in my local area. I'd be happy to test it x

PDI Gran Canaria

If you imagine unsafe/risky sex OP. Why are you interested? If it was proven to be safer than a condom, would you not be interested? I believe it is still having big trials (including the UK) Have you never ripped a condom? They are trialling it as been told that they are looking for high risk females to test in my local area. I'd be happy to test it x "

When they say trials, they mean the drug works and is safe, the trial means they way they select people to try it on the NHS.

By *am2camhornyCouple  over a year ago

London

So do you need to take it every day? Or just while having sex?

"So do you need to take it every day? Or just while having sex?"

Every day

By *i winkersCouple  over a year ago

manchester

As I said previously I'm on it with no ill effects. They struggled to find women and hetero men to take it for the trial. X

Prep is available on the NHS and sexual health clinic.

It is in wales anyway

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

stockport

It doesn't stop all STIs I am told

PDI Gran Canaria

"It doesn't stop all STIs I am told "

It doesn't stop any.

Central

Most people will take it every day, though some who are less active may use it sporadically, if they know in advance when they will be active.

We've been discussing it on fab for a few years. It's a good step towards getting a world free of HIV, which is a WHO target. This treatment is also a radically positive move for the NHS, as treatment costs for those who have HIV are significantly higher for the rest of people's lives.

I know several people on it, with everyone free from side effects.

By *laire KinkyTV/TS  over a year ago

Newcastle

I think the attitude to this is subjective. Its not something Ive discussed before but for me, its an added level of protection.

I went to Ibiza in the spring, as a male but took some outfits. I saw a few M2F people so decided to go and change and risk it. Best night of my life, got invited to a villa, got d*unk and and lost all my inhibitions, cum in 2 girls and one guy, several males cum in me.. came home, got checked, went back 3 months later and got checked again. I was all clear luckily, Ive always used condoms before. I was honest with the clinic and they put me on the medication.

Ive taken it as prescribed but always use condoms after this incident. This just gives me another level of protection if I wobble or a split condom happens.

By *avartMan  over a year ago

Barnsley

It's a risk vs benefit question.

Taking any medication has risks. You have to balance potential side effects with the potential to prevent a serious life long infection.

Boils down to whether one's behaviour is 'risky' or not. Only you can assess that.

It's impossible to select 'clean' people as partners. You can only ask questions and see how aware a person is of the risk for STDs and whether they regularly engage in risky behaviours.

A person may seem 'clean' but you have no way of screening their previous partners.

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis is basically a 'belt and braces' approach. It only protects against one infection. There are many more out there that are just as serious.

It is however a good thing. HIV is unlike to be cured due to it's very nature (it's a retrovirus). There will be a functional cure i.e. it will controllable but the latent infection will always be there.

The only way to cure it is to stop new infections.

just means people taking it want bareback sex as far as im concerned.

and do not take your health seriously so no excuses.

dont meet them.

dont take risks with health.

"just means people taking it want bareback sex as far as im concerned.

dont meet them.

dont take risks with health."

Maybe you should have actually read this thread before posting your ill informed comment.

Ooo never knew that, worth looking into. Thanks x

dont meet them.

Maybe you should have actually read this thread before posting your ill informed comment. "

It's my view and if you don't like tough.

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

dont meet them.

Maybe you should have actually read this thread before posting your ill informed comment.

It's my view and if you don't like tough."

We want to take it and have never had bareback sex and never will.

However, unlike yourself we are not gifted with the power of insight so would like an extra level of protection should a condom split or slip.

I know this is not a concern for you but not all are as lucky to have born immunity from incident and accident.

Most of the rest of us live in the real world where events outside of our control happen.

Must be nice to never have to worry about unintended consequences.

dont meet them.

??? I never suggested I didn't like your view, I just suggested that you might want to read the thread to educate yourself, it might help you understand the issues better.

Note.. If condoms rip you are supposed to send them back to manufacturer!

That was advice I was given on a sexual health training course.

the sunny South

dont meet them.

Urghhhhhh. Everything about your post is wrong. Please troll somewhere else.

You can take Prep 3 ways, once you've taken the test & proved negative.

1) Everyday (you go through more pills)

2) TT&SSs - Take everyday for the first week, then every Tues, Thur,Sat & Sun. (Best regime)

3) Event based Prep, take day you have sex & the day after (this hasn't been proved 100% effective.

Burnleyish (She/They)

"So do you need to take it every day? Or just while having sex?

You can take Prep 3 ways, once you've taken the test & proved negative.

1) Everyday (you go through more pills)

2) TT&SSs - Take everyday for the first week, then every Tues, Thur,Sat & Sun. (Best regime)

3) Event based Prep, take day you have sex & the day after (this hasn't been proved 100% effective."

I thought I'd add a note... the above only applies to men, it's recommended that women take PrEP continually because it takes up to 20 days to be effective for viginal sex.

As a note to the person who said PrEP makes you more likely to bareback... Horsepoop.

I haven't started back on it yet. But I will. And you know how many people will know...

3. Me, my doctor and my husband.

I don't take it for other people, I take it to reduce the risk of me catching a life altering disease.

I've been vaccinated against hepatitis, if I can reduce the risk of anything why on earth shouldn't I.

I insist on protection, I just also take extra precautions to ensure that if the condom fails... I am as protected as possible.

Got my appointment next week to discuss PRep ,

By *ransistersTV/TS  over a year ago

Dover

If your on the prep program through the NHS then you will have full spectrum testing on a regular basis including any appropriate jabs.

Never had a problem and it's the safe way to go for everyone.

By *uzie69xTV/TS  over a year ago

Maidstone

Wow this is an old discussion that's been revived! Good timing I guess as we open up post Covid and a lot has happened re PrEP. So some of the year-old posts are outdated.

The Impact Trial was not about the efficacy of PrEP - we know that to be 100% effective if taken as prescribed. It was NHS kicking the roll-out into the long grass so not too stoke up the prude haters.

The Trail has ended and PrEP had been mainstreamed so you can get PrEP free from your local GUM clinic. You'll need to get assessed by your Sexual Heath Clinician and if your sex life is potentially risky then you'll be prescribed them.

I've been on PrEP for over two years and yeah, it is life changing. I count my blessings when I've lost three good friends to HIV over the past few decades.

Maidstone

"Got my appointment next week to discuss PRep , "

Good luck hun... Hope they put you on them... X

I think prep should be universally avail idid a trial for 12 months in 2019 and did buy privately but its hard to get atm does anyone have a good supplier?

We both want to go back on it as bith are bareback only

Central

"I think prep should be universally avail idid a trial for 12 months in 2019 and did buy privately but its hard to get atm does anyone have a good supplier?

We both want to go back on it as bith are bareback only "

Are your clinics not prescribing? They may have targeted certain populations - I don't know the current situation.

A call to another clinic, in a different catchment area, may give you better results?

"Doesn't protect against gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis c so at your peril. Please also realise it's not available on the NHS so where are these guys getting it from? Plus it's the same drug used to treat HIV so most with the disease will claim to be on PreP but actually are undetectable and already have the virus. It's almost 100% effective in stopping the transmission of the virus so that's the only good thing. I think many have become complacent since PreP though. You should still be carefully regardless pal. Make sure you get it from a reliable source."

You can get it from superdrug

"I think prep should be universally avail idid a trial for 12 months in 2019 and did buy privately but its hard to get atm does anyone have a good supplier?

We both want to go back on it as bith are bareback only "

Prep is now available on the NHS to anybody that requires it following a consultation with a doctor at your local sexual health centre.

"

Prep is wonderful, it’s made a massive difference to HIV figures… the drawback, almost all trails have seen a shift in peoples sexual behaviours and as a result Other STI’s have seen significant growth in infections sadly.

"Doesn't protect against gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis c so at your peril. Please also realise it's not available on the NHS so where are these guys getting it from? Plus it's the same drug used to treat HIV so most with the disease will claim to be on PreP but actually are undetectable and already have the virus. It's almost 100% effective in stopping the transmission of the virus so that's the only good thing. I think many have become complacent since PreP though. You should still be carefully regardless pal. Make sure you get it from a reliable source."

NHS sites indicate that it is available via NHS across Britain

By *ustbrowsing 999Man  over a year ago

colchester

"Doesn't protect against gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis c so at your peril. Please also realise it's not available on the NHS so where are these guys getting it from? Plus it's the same drug used to treat HIV so most with the disease will claim to be on PreP but actually are undetectable and already have the virus. It's almost 100% effective in stopping the transmission of the virus so that's the only good thing. I think many have become complacent since PreP though. You should still be carefully regardless pal. Make sure you get it from a reliable source.

NHS sites indicate that it is available via NHS across Britain"

It is free

stockport

I see the need for this drug but if you have multiple sex partners it doesn't eliminate the risk of STIs.

Maidstone

"I see the need for this drug but if you have multiple sex partners it doesn't eliminate the risk of STIs. "

True and if you read the thread, many people have made the same point.

PrEP is for preventing HIV. There are treatments (including vaccines) for everything else.

stockport

Then perhaps people will take note of the advice

By *riel13Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

I would see it as an extra precaution... Doesn't mean they always go bare.. But condoms split occasionally. I would, initially see it as being smart. Just using it to do away with condoms... Not so much

Maidstone

"I would see it as an extra precaution... Doesn't mean they always go bare.. But condoms split occasionally. I would, initially see it as being smart. Just using it to do away with condoms... Not so much "

Oh absolutely true! I think Sexual Health is leading the conversation about Patients Choice. They say, here are the facts, you are adult enough to make your choices. Please come back if you have any problems and we will not judge you but look after your sexual health as is our job.

That's certainly not a "parental state" as Daily Mail would like to make out that England is turning into!

» Add a new message to this topic