FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Possible Rant - Are British people generally unsecure about nudity?

Possible Rant - Are British people generally unsecure about nudity?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eyFife2020 OP   Man  over a year ago

St. Andrews

Grown up in Germany where it was "natural"to bath nude in lochs, rivers, we had a good mix of dressed-naked folks sunbathing togetherand tolerating each other - i have the impression nudity is here "the devil", if you are nude beach/garden or even your house)you are branded a pervert or worse - am I alone thinking this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *andy6677Man  over a year ago

crewe

"Grown up in Germany where it was "natural"to bath nude in lochs, rivers, we had a good mix of dressed-naked folks sunbathing togetherand tolerating each other - i have the impression nudity is here "the devil", if you are nude beach/garden or even your house)you are branded a pervert or worse - am I alone thinking this?"

There are alot of prudish people here but alot of naturists too. The naturist movement has been strong here since at least the 1920s if not earlier just not shouted about. British people are very reserved in general. But things are slowly changing if you look at British Naturisms website. I go to nude swims regularly and well attended not just by men ethier.

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

It’s just something that’s not promoted as much over here, not sure if the weather plays a part ?

Like to go topless when on holiday as much as possible, but nervous to go fully nude though

By *DreamOfGenieWoman  over a year ago

London

I read somewhere the other day that naturism is growing in popularity with younger people, so maybe it's having a comeback!

I'm a recent convert to it myself, love to get rid of the clothes whenever possible these days.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"Grown up in Germany where it was "natural"to bath nude in lochs, rivers, we had a good mix of dressed-naked folks sunbathing togetherand tolerating each other - i have the impression nudity is here "the devil", if you are nude beach/garden or even your house)you are branded a pervert or worse - am I alone thinking this?"

If the garden you're nude in is "hatton garden" then yes you'll be branded a pervert and arrested

By *eresa_cdslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Bodmin

I agree with you op I feel at ease naked in any situation but am unusual in the UK. I was amused in a clinic last week when staff gave me a modesty cover- I was in there for my genital area to be examined I was quite ok with being naked obviously most patients are not.

By *ohohoWoman  over a year ago

Up North

It’s just too cold here to be nude all the time. But we are a little prudish as well. Even as a child I used to be the only one naked in the showers after swimming. I found it odd to wash in my costume. Now we have cubicles so it’s easier. I used to live in Germany as well, and it did take a bit of getting used to seeing naked people sunbathing. Although no tan lines is a big plus.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes I think probably it’s true. My partner is Italian, and I think Italian TV and culture is far less inhibited. Until taking up swinging, I was! (Him) it’s probably related to our climate here.

However, we visited a swinging club in Italy this summer, and they had no open play areas and chatting to people there, they were amazed that we have them in our British clubs. (Probably because Italian men are far more free with their hands!)

St. Andrews

Thank you for your comments - i think the weather plays a certain part but from my point it looks like a "cultural thing" - nudity is equal to something bad - i just thought being nude is natural...i cant imagine what an outcry would be if teacher and 5/6th year pupils are nude at the same beach in their spare time - for us we did no teven thing much about it other than the usual (which you would think as a teenager anyhow...clothes on or offnodifference...)..being nude (especiallyin nature and warm weather is just liberating

By *empsey and hotpieceMan  over a year ago

North west

I would say you have the wrong impression.

We both enjoy naturism and always hunt for a nude beach wherever we are on holiday, we don’t have a problem with people knowing we do this, and have never felt any judgement towards us. I think it’s just that most brits are a little more reserved regarding nudity, I don’t think it’s regarded as perverted here.

By *allgirthyMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

I think traditionally that would have been the case in Britain, but whilst it still persists among some, particularly the older generation, I think we’re all much more liberated in our own minds but then still afraid to break the barriers when in public - ergo, people are happy to be topless on the beach (for example) but nobody wants to break tradition and do such things. Partially so as not to offend those that might have an issue but there’s probably “indecent exposure” laws in Britain that would prevent it from even being allowed, or at least people would presume that to be the case.

If you are naked on the beech, or in the garden in this weather, pervert comes way behind insane

St. Andrews

"Grown up in Germany where it was "natural"to bath nude in lochs, rivers, we had a good mix of dressed-naked folks sunbathing togetherand tolerating each other - i have the impression nudity is here "the devil", if you are nude beach/garden or even your house)you are branded a pervert or worse - am I alone thinking this?

I would say you have the wrong impression.

We both enjoy naturism and always hunt for a nude beach wherever we are on holiday, we don’t have a problem with people knowing we do this, and have never felt any judgement towards us. I think it’s just that most brits are a little more reserved regarding nudity, I don’t think it’s regarded as perverted here."

Oh no offense - there are lots of nice folks out there enjoying nudity and why should someone be judged for expressing it, however from own experience i can confirm that a female friend has been subjected as exactly this : sexmad and perv" just because she mentioned at work she feels liberated to be on a nude beach - clearly cooled the whole atmosphere towards her - here on fab we are openminded so my post is probably ill placed

It’s because British people are all, beneath that reserved exterior, secretly and perverted... nudity is not ‘beautiful, innocent and natural’....it’s kinky, dirty & sleazy...and we love it...God Save The Queen....or at least Princess Margaret...she sounded like a right goer!!

By *oss and SuzieCouple  over a year ago

Porthmadog

As a couple spending half the year in Spain and half in Britain, we can confirm that the Spanish are much more relaxed about nudity, and sex as well. They are grown up about it, and most importantly, they don't have the tabloid press to tell them how disgusting it is.

Our non-swinging neighbours quite happily strip off to swim in our pool.

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

I also think its down to body confidence. Us brits are a very body conscious nation and don't like to show off what we have. As aposed to what we what and think we should look like. Me personally am more than happy to strip off anywhere as long as i don t offend others or where minors are present as it is the body i have been given and how it looks

"It’s because British people are all, beneath that reserved exterior, secretly and perverted... nudity is not ‘beautiful, innocent and natural’....it’s kinky, dirty & sleazy...and we love it...God Save The Queen....or at least Princess Margaret...she sounded like a right goer!! "

I think this is true! Our British attitude to life, nudity and sex in general is riven with this kind of attitude. Our continental friends (and my partner in particular!) have a much less repressed sexuality!

"It’s because British people are all, beneath that reserved exterior, secretly and perverted... nudity is not ‘beautiful, innocent and natural’....it’s kinky, dirty & sleazy...and we love it...God Save The Queen....or at least Princess Margaret...she sounded like a right goer!!

I think this is true! Our British attitude to life, nudity and sex in general is riven with this kind of attitude. Our continental friends (and my partner in particular!) have a much less repressed sexuality! "

I quite prefer the repressed sexuality with an undercurrent of kink - I find the whole ‘nudity and sex are beautiful and natural’ to be pretty boring - I don’t want that...I want it to be forbidden, kinky, sleazy and filthy!!

"It’s because British people are all, beneath that reserved exterior, secretly and perverted... nudity is not ‘beautiful, innocent and natural’....it’s kinky, dirty & sleazy...and we love it...God Save The Queen....or at least Princess Margaret...she sounded like a right goer!!

I think this is true! Our British attitude to life, nudity and sex in general is riven with this kind of attitude. Our continental friends (and my partner in particular!) have a much less repressed sexuality! I quite prefer the repressed sexuality with an undercurrent of kink - I find the whole ‘nudity and sex are beautiful and natural’ to be pretty boring - I don’t want that...I want it to be forbidden, kinky, sleazy and filthy!!"

Haha

Fill yer boots!!!

By *havennaturistsCouple  over a year ago

Banff

Spending half the year in Fuerteventura and witnessing the behaviour and comments of some UK holidaymakers, it appears that Brits have a problem differentiating between nudity and sexual promiscuity. Because there are many nude beaches here, some people arrive expecting there to be open sexual activity everywhere and are quite disappointed that generally there isn't!

» Add a new message to this topic