FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > spelling, grammar and talking

spelling, grammar and talking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just a few things i've noticed whilst on here.

A few people seem to request that if they are getting messaged by guys, that the guys be able to spell and use proper grammar. This normally puts me off a bit since i'm bad at both, even though i'm trying to work on it. Is it really something that matters?

I also struggle to find what to say if i feel like contacting someone, any suggestions how i may figure out something good to say?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You could try English classes and personality workshops! lol. In my experience, random and funny is best ,lazy isn't

The spelling and grammar .. well not everyone is an expert at that and it doesn't make you any less contactable !!!

Its being able to string a sentence together for me ... and if you are worried about spelling etc you could use a spell check ???

We have better things to think about so if someone don't like our spelling and grammar then tough titties, makes no odds to us.

Tony

Bloody hell theres enough hoops to jump through to get meets these days with the ever increasing likes and dislikes on peoples profiles, now we have to sit spelling and grammar test......won't be long before we are security vetted too lol

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

I think being articulate and being able to string a sentence together is very important.

I hate abbreviations and text speak and

I really struggle with spelling,grammar. As I am Dyslexic, I do use a spell checker a lot but it is not perfect, if I use the wrong word and it is spelt wright / right it gets missed

"Bloody hell theres enough hoops to jump through to get meets these days with the ever increasing likes and dislikes on peoples profiles, now we have to sit spelling and grammar test......won't be long before we are security vetted too lol"

Security and vetting now thers an idear ADMIN were are you

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"Just a few things i've noticed whilst on here.

A few people seem to request that if they are getting messaged by guys, that the guys be able to spell and use proper grammar. This normally puts me off a bit since i'm bad at both, even though i'm trying to work on it. Is it really something that matters?

I also struggle to find what to say if i feel like contacting someone, any suggestions how i may figure out something good to say?"

i think its more that people dont want text speak then they are going to turn you down because you split an infinitive or dont know the proper use of an oxford comma.

If like me you cant spell log into the site on google chrome and u get a handy red line under all misspelt words.

As for finding something good to say, sorry cant help there, if you find chatting to people easy in the outside easy you will in here...and messages work best if they are tailored to the person you are contacting.

hexham

"Bloody hell theres enough hoops to jump through to get meets these days with the ever increasing likes and dislikes on peoples profiles, now we have to sit spelling and grammar test......won't be long before we are security vetted too lol"

how dare people have preferences

hexham

"I think being articulate and being able to string a sentence together is very important.

I really struggle with spelling,grammar. As I am Dyslexic, I do use a spell checker a lot but it is not perfect, if I use the wrong word and it is spelt wright / right it gets missed "

yeah i have just discovered mispelt gets a red line, and i dont have a clue how to correct it

By *eet_the_spartanMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I also struggle to find what to say if i feel like contacting someone, any suggestions how i may figure out something good to say?

i think its more that people dont want text speak then they are going to turn you down because you split an infinitive or dont know the proper use of an oxford comma.

If like me you cant spell log into the site on google chrome and u get a handy red line under all misspelt words.

As for finding something good to say, sorry cant help there, if you find chatting to people easy in the outside easy you will in here...and messages work best if they are tailored to the person you are contacting.

"

Yeah, i agree. A spelling mistake here or there doesn't matter a bit, what really annoys us is da peeps hoo tlk lyk dis oo wanna meet 4 kwik 1. If they can't type out a reasonable message the odds of them being able to hold a decent convo in real life is slim

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"I think being articulate and being able to string a sentence together is very important.

I really struggle with spelling,grammar. As I am Dyslexic, I do use a spell checker a lot but it is not perfect, if I use the wrong word and it is spelt wright / right it gets missed

yeah i have just discovered mispelt gets a red line, and i dont have a clue how to correct it "

right click on the word gives a list of possible words

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I also struggle to find what to say if i feel like contacting someone, any suggestions how i may figure out something good to say?"

For us , spelling is not a big issue as long as we can understand it.....but we draw the line at all text speak, mainly as we can't be bothered to decipher it....plus there is no limit to the amount of characters you can use on a keyboard so we think it is either lazy/ the person too young for us or the person is closer to our age but pretending to act young....so it puts us off.

As long as the person can string a sentance together then they can use spell checker to correct any words.

Everyone is different so you won't please everyone with an initial mail...so the best thing is to be yourself....maybe use a bit of humour....our first ever meet used one sentance that made us both laugh which ended up with us meeting.

Good luck

hexham

yeah i have just discovered mispelt gets a red line, and i dont have a clue how to correct it

right click on the word gives a list of possible words

"

tried that it gave misspelling but not misspelt...it might be an Americanism i know it doesnt like dreamt either...maybe they say misspelled.

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

For us , spelling is not a big issue as long as we can understand it.....but we draw the line at all text speak, mainly as we can't be bothered to decipher it....plus there is no limit to the amount of characters you can use on a keyboard so we think it is either lazy/ the person too young for us or the person is closer to our age but pretending to act young....so it puts us off.

As long as the person can string a sentance together then they can use spell checker to correct any words.

Everyone is different so you won't please everyone with an initial mail...so the best thing is to be yourself....maybe use a bit of humour....our first ever meet used one sentance that made us both laugh which ended up with us meeting.

Good luck

"

It's sentence not sentance! The spelling nazi strikes!

Must admit, bad spelling drives me crazy, especially people use there instead of their

I don't capitalise and despair at my iPhone spelling nazi constantly trying to outthink me and getting it wrong.

Rarely use txt spk lol, gotta go brb

By *ove2-shareCouple  over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

I do use certain mispellings deliberately, IE tho, and tonite, and am actually higly literate but I also have dislexia and its a pain to obsess over spelling all the time as I prefer to write through stream of consciousness, I had disagreements with my earlier lecturers about the valididty of this technique but tended to get better results the more i did it, Hey it worked for jack Kerouac and he was always d*unk when he wrote.Lets not obsess over spelling as long as you can understand the meaning.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Good luck

It's sentence not sentance! The spelling nazi strikes!

"

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I load a British English dictionary into my browser, so I don't do the US speak stuff.

"...

tried that it gave misspelling but not misspelt...it might be an Americanism i know it doesnt like dreamt either...maybe they say misspelled."

hexham

"I load a British English dictionary into my browser, so I don't do the US speak stuff.

tried that it gave misspelling but not misspelt...it might be an Americanism i know it doesnt like dreamt either...maybe they say misspelled."

ohhh is that hard to do?

By *ont Ask Dont GetWoman  over a year ago

amersham

Slightly dodgy spelling is not the biggest deal for me but a profile or message with no capitals, paragraphs or structure and lots of abbreviations and txt spk is just a struggle to read!

My attention is always caught by a message that either makes me laugh out loud (lol!!!) or is very erotic (not necessarily dirty, but erotic!) and makes my pulse rate rocket...even better if accomanied by a photo of some sexy abs and/or a pretty face! hah!

eye cnt stnd ppl who txt talk or cnt spel proprly. rlly winds me up!

I can understand people who dislike this, but are we really going to judge their personality or even sexual attraction on written words within a swinging website? Not sure why so many feel they have to take the moral high ground on this. Talk about lowering the self-esteem of those whom have a lower academic ability. Each to their own i say, but don't demoralise people by slating it.

(P.S, i realise by writing this message, i have just taken the moral high ground haha bloody hypocrite)

By *lexaWoman  over a year ago

southampton

I'm sure you've heard this before, but if a message doesn't read easily, then the receiver probably can't be bothered to work out what you're trying to say. It seems as though the sender is being lazy and expecting the reader to work out where the punctuation goes. This just puts me off reading it past the first two sentences.

It doesn't seem to me as if you're having much trouble judging by your post here. Tip - ask the women loads of questions about her, make it seem that it's her you are interested then rather than trying to make it sound like she should be interested in you.

When it comes to introducing yourself on here, I would advise that you read their profile as it shows whoever you are emailing that you can give them 5 seconds of your time to do so. I would also advise that you just talk to them as normally as you would if they were standing in front of you. So many people on here come across as seedy or hilarious trying to talk erotically. Be yourself. Amy

hexham

"eye cnt stnd ppl who txt talk or cnt spel proprly. rlly winds me up!

I can understand people who dislike this, but are we really going to judge their personality or even sexual attraction on written words within a swinging website? Not sure why so many feel they have to take the moral high ground on this. Talk about lowering the self-esteem of those whom have a lower academic ability. Each to their own i say, but don't demoralise people by slating it.

(P.S, i realise by writing this message, i have just taken the moral high ground haha bloody hypocrite) "

yes...because its a written medium, the sending of messages and writing of profiles is dependant upon at least basic writing skills.

Given the choice and competition men who use the written word better are always going to do well. Its not about judging personality, but looking for the person you want to fuck in a place where communication is not verbal or face to face.

By *unstuffMan  over a year ago

Warrington/Edinburgh

I've found that too much info can be overwhelming for some, but too little is not enough.

But it's always good to smell right..opps..lol spell.

Thank GOD for spell check!!!

I would be total fucked or not so as the case may be.

Although I can be articulate in my writing I'm a poor speller.

Be you..

Although i agree with every argument portrayed here, there are many people who have poor written language skills, but verbally and cognitively they are sound! that is my point

Some people seem to think that just because they get a message in txt speak, the words that come out of their mouth are going to be similar. "Don't judge a book" and all that it is what the younger generation are being brought up with, therefore it affects their writing, grammer and spelling. we as the older generation should be teaching them to a better standard haha

peace out

hexham

"Although i agree with every argument portrayed here, there are many people who have poor written language skills, but verbally and cognitively they are sound! that is my point

Some people seem to think that just because they get a message in txt speak, the words that come out of their mouth are going to be similar. "Don't judge a book" and all that it is what the younger generation are being brought up with, therefore it affects their writing, grammer and spelling. we as the older generation should be teaching them to a better standard haha

peace out "

If they do better in face to face rather than written situations then it is up to them to go to clubs and socials where they will shine...

As for the younger generation not being able to code switch, that is just patronizing and untrue. i know plenty of younger people who are able to judge when it is appropriate to use slang and text speak and when it is not.

Do i judge that they are more likely to be the sort i will get on with? Hell yes, i am here for fun, not to try and work out if someone didn't pay attention during literacy hour and therefore deserves some kind of extra attention from me.

Btw the idea children aren't taught grammar is simply not true, and hasn't been for about 15 years.

I feel taht as lnog as you get yuor msg arocss tehn it deso'nt meattr how its selpt!! As lnog as it has smoe ref to yuor porf tehn its all good!!

"

Btw the idea children aren't taught grammar is simply not true, and hasn't been for about 15 years."

All we can do is assume as there is no data at availableto argue both our cases. However, i didn't say that they were not taught grammar in school. I simply stated that their lives are exposed to simplified txt speak on a daily basis therefore influencing them. It's ultimately the individuals choice as to whether you reply to a message of poor written standard, but have some empathy and don't holistically judge those people on that one message on a swingers site.

hexham

"

Btw the idea children aren't taught grammar is simply not true, and hasn't been for about 15 years.

All we can do is assume as there is no data at availableto argue both our cases. However, i didn't say that they were not taught grammar in school. I simply stated that their lives are exposed to simplified txt speak on a daily basis therefore influencing them. It's ultimately the individuals choice as to whether you reply to a message of poor written standard, but have some empathy and don't holistically judge those people on that one message on a swingers site. "

There is evidence on what is taught in schools, it is called the national curriculum, where code switching is covered.

i am not judging anyone, i am using the tools at my disposal to pick ppl in the limited time available,,,by your reasoning i should also reply to mingers, straight men, abusive men, Doms, fancy a fuck messages and offers to introduce me to the family pet.

The people who insist on proper spelling and grammar usually have profiles littered with mistakes.

We don't mind the standard of English as long as it can be understood, which isn't the case with 'txt spk'.

A missing apostrophe caused some confusion the other day as there's a big difference between "we're going to the club" and "were going to the club".

hexham

"We don't mind the standard of English as long as it can be understood, which isn't the case with 'txt spk'.

A missing apostrophe caused some confusion the other day as there's a big difference between "we're going to the club" and "were going to the club". "

Exactly...people seem to be assuming here that we all understand text speak, as a dyslexic, i find it very hard to read...as i have said throughout, this is a medium where people communicate via the written word, being comprehensible is important.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"We don't mind the standard of English as long as it can be understood, which isn't the case with 'txt spk'.

A missing apostrophe caused some confusion the other day as there's a big difference between "we're going to the club" and "were going to the club".

Exactly...people seem to be assuming here that we all understand text speak, as a dyslexic, i find it very hard to read...as i have said throughout, this is a medium where people communicate via the written word, being comprehensible is important."

As someone who is reasonably literate and has no spelling disability (just occasional lapses and sometimes poor punctuation) I find it hard to comprehend the meanings of text speak messages.

And if my inbox has ten messages in but I only have one chance to meet that week then the fluency with which the messages are written influences my choice. But fluent messages are not always correctly spelt, grammatically correct or well punctuated.

I have sometimes suggested to guys that they may have more success if they used traditional English as opposed to text speak when they have asked why no-one is interested only to have them reply that this is who they are, why should they change?

Its interesting that no-one seems to criticise single women for poor spelling ...

I'm sure txt spk was of use when you could only have so many characters in a message. By cutting out certain letters you have a shorter message that is still easy to understand. This means you can save on the number of messages you had to send, the amount of time spent typing them and the amount of memory used to store them.

Now that everyone has 8Gb iPhones which come with a spell check function it's not really an excuse to use it even when sending a text. There is certainly no excuse for using it in an email.

Txt tlk is something that people choose to use, it's not taught at schools. I assume people using txt spk are either lazy or illiterate.

I think the use of txt spk is totally different to spelling, punctuation and grammar.

» Add a new message to this topic