FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > "Swingers Ignore Safe Sex" - Sky News

"Swingers Ignore Safe Sex" - Sky News

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ethot69 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Merseyside

Just came across this from Colin Brazier of Sky News.

---------------

http://blogs.news.sky.com/familyaffairs/Post:a00176f4-2f7c-4169-907f-dc8ebf666d82

"Swinging" - practising the exchange of partners, especially spouses, for sex. Source: The Free Dictionary.

Is there anything new in swinging? The Romans would, presumably, consider it pretty tame.

What about the Victorians? We think they were up-tight. Fonder of the workhouse than wenching. But imagine if they had access to modern technology; the internet and mobile phones to fix-up assignations beneath the pea-soupers. They might then have been throwing their barouche keys into the snuff-box with indecent haste.

Or maybe they were smarter than that. Maybe they realised that sharing multiple sexual partners about whom they knew next to nothing was a recipe for - at the time - fatal sexually-transmitted diseases like syphillis.

Certainly, we can say with confidence that our own generation is now paying the price for losing sight of some eternal verities about copulation.

Why? Because a big study has shown a soaring rate of STD's caused by partner-swapping and swinging in particular.

One in nine patients treated for chlamydia and gonorrhea infections was revealed by the research to be a swinger in their forties. For those over the age of 45, partner-swapping accounted for more than half of all such infections.

The Sexually Transmitted Infections journal says swingers ‘potentially may act as an STI transmission bridge to the entire population’.

I don't swing, so why should I have a problem with people who don't share my prissiness?

Well, apart from the fact that STD's tend to impact on all of us in one way or another, I am unsettled about the way swinging is gaining social acceptance.

These sands of sexual morality are constantly shifting. Unthinkable though it may seem now, in the 1970s there was a concerted effort by some social libertarians to liberalise the laws on paedophilia.

I am not likening paedophilia to swinging. But that is not to say that swinging is victimless, nor that within its practises there are those who are left feeling abused.

Common sense dictates that it will be rare for a couple to have the same appetite for formalised partner-swapping. It's likely that one person will be 'going along' with their partner's peccadiloes.

There are those who argue that swinging can be good for a relationship. But from the outside it looks like what I strongly suspect it is: a grubby, corrosive sub-culture in which everybody pretends to be getting what they want, while a substantial minority, in fact, are not.

We do not make jokes - in public at lest - about other forms of abuse within relationships. But take umbrage to a crack about the car keys in the ashtray and you'd be dismissed as a crank.

------

I am astonished by this. An absolutely disgusting article - especially the last three paragraphs.

Has he not made the obvious connection that 1 in 9 test positive for STD's as swingers because swingers attend STD clinics more often than any other social group because we're very aware of our sexual health??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I don't know, but isn't this last week's newspaper report being recycled?

Seems a bit coincidental if not.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dont ya just love self righteous up their own arses media people lol

Rather report favorably on wars and try to justify them

Than promote togetherness and human closeness xx

I agree, the last three paragraphs are awful and so wrong in our opinion.

We do this together, neither is 'just going along with it' and in every case where we've met other couples they have been of the same mind.

It's consenting adults having fun and exporling the sexuality in a way they are comfortable!! And bringing big smiles to all involved.

Did Mary Whitehouse write this from the grave???

If you look at the facts the reporter is sensationalising things. However swingers do have more partners than the average person. Many do practice unprotected sex, mainly oral but it still happens and you do have a higher chance of a STD if your a swinger.

People should read it as it is a piece of sensationalist journalism. However its a good reminder to have checks and ask about playmates history. The big problem in swinging to me is the fact many do not disclose their play history honestly and i suspect they never will.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"I agree, the last three paragraphs are awful and so wrong in our opinion.

We do this together, neither is 'just going along with it' and in every case where we've met other couples they have been of the same mind.

"

You don't have to look far though to find examples of what the paragraph suggests... that a minority aren't doing it because they want to, but are going along with it to please their partner.

If you go to clubs often enough it's likely you'll have seen it.

If you go to enough parties it's likely you'll have seen it.

If you read the forums for long enough it's inevitable you'll find stories about it and examples of it.

Agree with Polo totally,we have seen it many times where one half of a couple are going along with it to keep the other happy..

We had a meet a few years ago at ours,everyone seemed happy to play when we started playing the female of the couple started on me for being with her man,turned out she only went along with swinging to keep him,she was scared he would leave her.

I read this in a paper last week and im sure it stated that the study was done in Holland not the U.K. It also stated that couples over 45 that were swingers were only 10% behind female prostitutes for S.T.I.s i think were a little more sensible over here!

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

I honestly don't know why people get upset or angry by such 'articles' - It's been written in ignorance - I wouldn't write an article on nuclear physics as I know nothing about it! People who swing and do so sensibly know that much of that 'data' was rubbish! And as for most people just going along with it ofr their partners sake - I'm sure it happens but they're adults - if they really had a problem they'd sort it - you can't complain about something but do nothing about it! Can't say we've come across just couples - might hide it well! Happy safe swinging every one! Z

"I read this in a paper last week and im sure it stated that the study was done in Holland not the U.K. It also stated that couples over 45 that were swingers were only 10% behind female prostitutes for S.T.I.s i think were a little more sensible over here! "

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/swingers-sti-threat-highlighted

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

It's because people begin to build a cyber bubble around themselves and start to forget we still live in a society which uses Christian faith as the basis for most of its values.

Society at large believes in monogamy and shuns promiscuous behaviour.

Totally agree there polo Victorian Christian values at that

By *4FantasyCouple  over a year ago

Spalding

Anyway... 1 in 9 people? What about the other 8!!!

thats what happens when you get a tory government.....

the biggest age group for chlamydia is 18-25 with in in 4 having it that came from the scottish centre for health.

the next bit was in paper a few wks ago about increase in std in over 45's. not just swingers, more down to divorce etc!

these so called facts can be made up in mins as winston churchill said there is lies and damned statistics!

there has always been and always will be sti's even in victorian times with their strict morals etc!

sensational journalism is great you just need to read the daily hate mail to see that! xx

Can see swinging clubs being a nice tory target sometime very soon, it's started sooner than i thought

"Can see swinging clubs being a nice tory target sometime very soon, it's started sooner than i thought "

iv got a top 3 of things they gonna target...

free condoms i can see either comin to an end (excuse the pun) or bein limited to certain catagory

public health advertising ie the adverts for safe sex etc

and more licensing barriers or higher rates for adult natured clubs! xx

» Add a new message to this topic