FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > World Wide > Vietnam/Laos. Any tips?

Vietnam/Laos. Any tips?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iSTARess OP   Woman  over a year ago

London

Every couple of years I take myself off on an adventure for 5/6 weeks, this time to Vietnam, maybe Laos. Anyone been (or going and fancy meeting up) have any sure fire tips?

Not arsed about kiddy raves on beaches. Chilled with a dose of history and exploration thrown in.

(I know theres the worldwide forum, tried there, nothing. And as there are a dozen utterly random threads on here, thought why not?)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Make sure you get vaccinated against encephalitis, dads been in hospital 2 months and counting with it. Picked it up in Thailand. Chap next door got his in Vietnam

London

"Make sure you get vaccinated against encephalitis, dads been in hospital 2 months and counting with it. Picked it up in Thailand. Chap next door got his in Vietnam"

Think I've had the jab (been to Thailand and Cambodia) but thanks for the tip!!

Don't mention the war!...

I did once but I think I got away with it....

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I went to Laos about 10 years ago... up in to the mountains... it was like stepping back in time.

Anyway. We were mooching around in a village when a guy offered us "50 dolla fire machine gun; 55 dolla, fire machine gun and kill cow."

London

"I went to Laos about 10 years ago... up in to the mountains... it was like stepping back in time.

Anyway. We were mooching around in a village when a guy offered us "50 dolla fire machine gun; 55 dolla, fire machine gun and kill cow."

"

$5 extra to shoot a cow seems quite reasonable. Well, not for the cow

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

My friend went to Vietnam for her honeymoon a couple of years ago - I can ask?

Plenty of insect repellent

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

If they start playing Wagner during the approach to landing, get concerned about how welcome you'll be made to feel.

"If they start playing Wagner during the approach to landing, get concerned about how welcome you'll be made to feel. "

Or paint it black lol

Or if your travel guide loves the smell of napalm in the morning!

"Plenty of insect repellent "

Excellent advice.

Make sure it contains Deet too.

"Plenty of insect repellent

Excellent advice.

Make sure it contains Deet too."

What she's just repelling insects not doing her muff!

Excellent advice.

Make sure it contains Deet too..

What she's just repelling insects not doing her muff!"

Deet is an insect repellant.

Don't travel with air america

London

Excellent advice.

Make sure it contains Deet too..

What she's just repelling insects not doing her muff!"

Ha!! I always travel with deet repellent. Mossies love me

By *iouxBWoman  over a year ago

Colchester

I did Vietnam Cambodia and Laos in January and loved it....though the rocks at Halong Bay look impressive there is nothing else there so don't go out of your way....the North and South are very different but I found many of the locals very interesting...the food was great and some of the old colonial areas very interesting....spent a lot if time on rivers and the local wine is passable....pick up drink in local markets its so cheep.

I loved Laos it was so far back in time and it was very interesting just seeing the differences in how the monks are revealed compared to other countries in the area . Oh carry a toilet roll and baby wipes in your bag whenever you go out....

Crossing roads looks scary but just walk with confidence and at a steady space and you will be ok

You will be required to show respect by covering the busy at many religious and royal areas....I just carried a scarf and a pair of legging in my bag

Cards are not often accepted but U.S. Dollars is a good fall back if you run out of local currency....you will also need dollars for crossing boarders.

London

"I did Vietnam Cambodia and Laos in January and loved it....though the rocks at Halong Bay look impressive there is nothing else there so don't go out of your way....the North and South are very different but I found many of the locals very interesting...the food was great and some of the old colonial areas very interesting....spent a lot if time on rivers and the local wine is passable....pick up drink in local markets its so cheep.

I loved Laos it was so far back in time and it was very interesting just seeing the differences in how the monks are revealed compared to other countries in the area . Oh carry a toilet roll and baby wipes in your bag whenever you go out....

Crossing roads looks scary but just walk with confidence and at a steady space and you will be ok

You will be required to show respect by covering the busy at many religious and royal areas....I just carried a scarf and a pair of legging in my bag

Cards are not often accepted but U.S. Dollars is a good fall back if you run out of local currency....you will also need dollars for crossing boarders. "

Marvelous, thanks

I saw a documentary on it once, before the narrator and his crew went over there they needed intense training, looked awful, the teacher kept shouting at them a lot so one guy From the crew shot him before shooting himself...tough going.

Anyhow when they got there one of the guys had his camera stolen by a guy on a bike while a lady distracted him! And the locals weren't too friendly really...kept taking pot shots at the crew all the time, one lady seemed not to like them at all, kept shooting one guy from a window and everything!

place was a mess too, buildings all falling down and such...

On the plus side, loads of army guys to flirt with

"I went to Laos about 10 years ago... up in to the mountains... it was like stepping back in time.

"

I know a Lao girl, she puts chilli's in everything she eats! I've never been but she tells me it's pretty much untouched and lovely to visit

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I did Vietnam Cambodia and Laos in January and loved it....though the rocks at Halong Bay look impressive there is nothing else there so don't go out of your way....the North and South are very different but I found many of the locals very interesting...the food was great and some of the old colonial areas very interesting....spent a lot if time on rivers and the local wine is passable....pick up drink in local markets its so cheep.

Cards are not often accepted but U.S. Dollars is a good fall back if you run out of local currency....you will also need dollars for crossing boarders. "

All good advice.

We did three ports in Vietnam on a cruise 3 years ago so while we didn't really get off the beaten track we learned a few things.

As said above crossing the road can be very scary but you soon get used to it. The golden rules are never run, and never stop. Just keep going at a steady but not too fast pace. Also what they can load onto a motorcycle is truly awesome and sometimes seems to defy the laws of physics.

We enjoyed Ho Chi Min city (The locals still call it Saigon BTW) and if you are there when it's good weather (unlike for us) a day chilling on the beach at Da Nang would have been something we would have liked to have tried. We also liked Hoi An which is just up the road from there. As said above, we thought Halong Bay was nice to have a look at the islands but nothing else.

For money you will probably need some Dong for places off the beaten track but in the towns and city's they only seemed to want US dollars. Try to get as many small denomination notes as you can. We found that one and five dollar bills were very useful when negotiating on the markets.

"Don't mention the war!...

I did once but I think I got away with it.... "

Nephew went to Vietnam recently. There is a war museum in Ho Chi Minh city and you can also visit Cu Chi tunnels (see Wiki).

Did quad-biking on dunes at Mu Ni, cliff diving over waterfalls at Da Lat, mud baths at Thap Ba spa, and a day on An Bang beach, near Hoi An (warm sea, few tourists).

He said Cat Ba island was amazing (national park, with incredible views).

Hostels are comfortable and cheap (around £2.50 a night).

From Vietnam, it was a 22-hour overnight bus trip, to Laos. Vang Vieng was the highlight... rock climbing, kayaking, swimming, paragliding, and more amazing scenery.

London

Been here two weeks now, love it

Phu Quoc island, Saigon, Dalat, Nha Trang, hiking, abseiling down a waterfall, getting lost on a scooter, drinking weasel poo coffee, mud spa, Cu Chi tunnels and even managed a meet. (Pics on my Instagram TheHolestar)

The north is colder than UK at the moment so will probably go as north as Hue.

Don't suppose anyone knows a quiet, not over developed beach area that won't cost a bomb and isn't chock with noisy Russians?

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

My son just got back from Laos not had time to chat about the trip.. He did send me a fabulous vid of scrubbing the elephants in the river. They were sitting on the neck and the elephant would fill his truck and squirt them. What a fantastic experience. hope you have a great time.

London

Don't think I'll be doing Laos pr north Vietnam now. It's as cold as UK!

[Removed by poster at 27/01/16 12:18:00]

By *orthern PowerhouseMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Tourist areas are ok but get your jabs going off on your own can be risky so think twice on that.

London

Got jabs, already here

By *adystephanieTV/TS  over a year ago

glos

Take a trip to the killing fields, rather chilling when you know the history an then realise your walking on bones

Be prepared to lose your heart to a some of the most kindly humble people you'll ever meet.....

London

"Be prepared to lose your heart to a some of the most kindly humble people you'll ever meet..... "

Done

Love the Vietnamese. Upfront and direct, way I like it

London

"Be prepared to lose your heart to a some of the most kindly humble people you'll ever meet..... "

Done

Love the Vietnamese. Upfront and direct, way I like it

Hi.. I'm off there May 30- June 2... Any good? Probably Hanoi...

London

I went to Saigon (big, mad city. Cu Chi tunnels good), Phu Quoc (was probably nice once but full of redevelopment), Dalat (stunning, go canyoning), Nah Trang (Russian Blackpool) then further up the coast to quieter beaches. Then Hoi An which is nice, back tracked to Mui Ne (good for watersports.. not that kind) then to Hanoi and Halong Bay. Stunning country, brilliant food and great people once you get to know them. More genuine than Thailand.

Have a good one

» Add a new message to this topic