FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > UK > Shellness Leysdown beach

Shellness Leysdown beach

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *onyDunn OP   Man  over a year ago

Sevenoaks

Some alterations to alert everybody to. Went there today for a long dog walk. The spaces that people park in that are off the road facing the big grass bank.

There is now a drainage ditch that has been excavated next to the road with a soil bank. Not something that has been done in previous winters.

Cars and even 4 by 4s will not be able to park. From the old fishing huts right down to the turning point by Shellness gate. And parking at that end by the gate has been further restricted with wire fencing and posts to reduce parking spots.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ave3058Man  over a year ago

southampton & playa del ingles

Must try this place next summer hopefully

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hi, sounds interesting! Could you reveal a little about this place? I travel a lot in the summertime,? (hopefully)!

By *NTW80Couple  over a year ago

South Normanton

[Removed by poster at 05/12/20 18:11:22]

By *NTW80Couple  over a year ago

South Normanton

[Removed by poster at 05/12/20 18:11:24]

By *lowstick66Man  over a year ago

m

I had a look today, parking will be a problem unless they bridge the new ditch, didn’t find any play, it was a cold day

By *ickbeachbumMan  over a year ago

Dartford

Visiting this popular naturist beach or the bird sanctuary by Shellness gate is currently very difficult as has been reported due to the new drainage ditch and barrier which has it seems been deliberately cut a meter from edge of the lane.

I have read elsewhere that locals residents claim that access to the naurist beach has never included the verge between the lane and the original drainage ditch which still exists.

The beautiful new signs erected by Swale Birough Council in 2019/2020 identifying the naturist beach boundaries, includes showing the parking area which now effectively does not exist.

Currently a contractor (February 2021) has closed the car park at the cafe to use as a lay down area to store site offices, machines and material as the are placing rock armour along the seaward side going towards the seaside huts and the naturist beach.

So it would seem even after this work is complete access to the naturist beach is going to be a long walk if you are carrying wind breaks or picnic items for a day in the sun on this longstanding and well loved official naturist beach.

This is because walking is now only possible on the precipitous landward side of the seabund above the sheet piling or in the lane itself.

It seems that antisocial elements or behaviour by a few visitors in 2020 have antagonised some local residents so in my view Swale and Kent County Council will need to intervene if they wish to promote save access to the only official naturist beach in my county of Kent.

Has anyone any ideas how this conundrum can be resolved?

By *areass2017Man  over a year ago

east coast

Is this still the situation at Leysdown?

How far are we now talking between the nearest place that we can park the car...

Such a shame but I certainly did witness some of the idiots whom have ruined it for others will absolutely no discretion at all!!

By *onyDunn OP   Man  over a year ago

Sevenoaks

Update on Leysdown

The car park area remains closed. The ditch and bank stop all parking where it used to be. Mid way there is a small section (6 metres?) which i think has been flattened as a passing spot.

The car park at the end near where the gate to Shellnes is. This is now mainly a turning circle. There is new fencing and rail sleepers have been set into the ground ready for a barrier. The barrier is not there. However there is signage on the sleepers that say that the barrier will be closed at 1800 in summer and 1700 in winter. The area is limited to about 8 cars and really a glorified turning circle. Further there is also new CCTV by the entrance to Shellness. It is not aimed at the turning circle but it probably covers part or all of the area.

Car parking at Shellness is now very limited and a 1/2 mile away from the beach at least. Probably a mile really.

By *areass2017Man  over a year ago

east coast

Absolutely abysmal this news, lots of folk who use the beach struggle to walk that far!!! Shame!

» Add a new message to this topic