FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > USA > Deer season

Deer season

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It opens here next Monday. We are going but it seems hunting not as popular as it once was. Deer everwhere here and no viable predators to cull the herd.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

So you don't class hunters as predators ?

"So you don't class hunters as predators ?"

Archery muzzleloader and rifle season. The herd here is too big. Not enough hunters anymore.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

So if you didn’t hunt them, what would be the outcome? I mean, would it be an issue to other species etc?

Increased dead deer on the highways. Herd can't sustain the winter alot starve.

So I guess the hunting is, in a way, humane?

"So I guess the hunting is, in a way, humane?

"

Yes there is really no natural predators. We usually harvest 2 and donate some to local food kitchens.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

So what happened to all the natural predators - of course, they got hunted out - perhaps some need re-introducing.

"So what happened to all the natural predators - of course, they got hunted out - perhaps some need re-introducing."

30000 coyotes they just can't keep the herd down. They are opportunist hunters. Now they getting to big of a population. They can be shot on sight.

1.5 million deer I sure if anyone in the US drove thru Pa. They can tell you how many sit alongside the highways.

By *ykmwyldTV/TS  over a year ago

Belpre

Yes, there is also plenty of deer in southeastern Ohio. I enjoy hunting and have done it since I was Very young. Coyote are getting completely out of control in the eastern states since they were introduced to control deer populations. But, the only problem is coyote are opportunistic killers, they kill anything they can kill easy, other game animals like rabbits, quail, grouse, turkey, fawns, ect...ect..., even pets and small farm animals. It was a huge mistake introducing coyote back to the Eastern states. You can thank the insurance companies for that idiotic mistake !

I don't know of anyone that wants to eat a coyote!

"Yes, there is also plenty of deer in southeastern Ohio. I enjoy hunting and have done it since I was Very young. Coyote are getting completely out of control in the eastern states since they were introduced to control deer populations. But, the only problem is coyote are opportunistic killers, they kill anything they can kill easy, other game animals like rabbits, quail, grouse, turkey, fawns, ect...ect..., even pets and small farm animals. It was a huge mistake introducing coyote back to the Eastern states. You can thank the insurance companies for that idiotic mistake !

I don't know of anyone that wants to eat a coyote! "

Agreed its horrible here they are more after family pets then normal game. It was a bad idea.

Belpre

Your absolutely right, it is a horrible situation that they should never have started.

If you need to lower the deer population you raise the harvest amount and length of season until the population is under control, then lower the harvest and shorten the season to try and maintain the population at healthy levels.

Introducing coyote should never have been an option, it was a idiotic decision made by people that don't understand nature and how it works.

It's kind of horrible funny but they introduced bald eagles here. A chihuahua down the road kind of took flight.

Belpre

We have bald eagles here too, because of the Ohio River being less than a mile as the bird flies. They will go after animals far bigger than a chihuahua. That is horrible, but I can understand the funniness of it as well. I seen a bald eagle hit my friends full grown Labrador retriever so hard in the side it rolled him over in the yard. The dog was heading towards it's young one who landed on the top of the riverbank at the end of the yard. The dog wasn't mad at the young one, it was just going to check it out, big mistake lol. After that day the dog would watch

for eagles flying around lol. We didn't even see the eagle coming until a split second before his dog was hit. That eagle was coming in fast lol.

Im so happy I’m not back in the States right now.

Dead deer heads cut off and put in trees to “scare little children”

Playground slide dripping in deer blood because ???

Announcements over the high school tannoy/PA to remember to take your guns out of your gun rack in your truck as guns are not allowed on school property, yet guns everywhere in the car park/parking lot.

Deer hanging from open garages - skin being taken off and/or dripping blood from the carcass.

Deer season memories- so bliss!

By *hilledOutGuy1Man  over a year ago

Not far away

exactly the same issue in Scotland, far too many deer and no natural predators

Yeah you poor old Jocko's ain't allowed to 'stalk' your red deer as they are all on royal or lairds land and it would be poaching. The 'I didn't vote for them' Royal lands are full of them but I think it is still a capital offence LoL. I once had a bit swan from a Polish friend, rather similar to goose but ffs don't tell anyone!!!

By *gentleman44Man  over a year ago

dublin

"exactly the same issue in Scotland, far too many deer and no natural predators "
same here in ireland

By *arry BlockMan  over a year ago

Here and there

Hunting and eating an animal that has lived a life is far better than farmed animals. Kids should know the concept of where meat comes from and at least the meat is eaten unlike some cul's in some countries.

dublin

"Hunting and eating an animal that has lived a life is far better than farmed animals. Kids should know the concept of where meat comes from and at least the meat is eaten unlike some cul's in some countries. "
I agree

Not far away

"exactly the same issue in Scotland, far too many deer and no natural predators same here in ireland"

ah ok I hadn't realised that, probably same in Wales and england as well

Not far away

"Hunting and eating an animal that has lived a life is far better than farmed animals. Kids should know the concept of where meat comes from and at least the meat is eaten unlike some cul's in some countries. I agree "

ditto

I totally agree, we are, history dictates, hunter/gatherers so if you kill to eat you are part of the ecosystem. Hunt Fox coz you lose a few hen's? Build a better coup or fuck off and run across the Serengeti with a wildebeeste scent on your arse cheeks. “the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable”?

dublin

"Hunting and eating an animal that has lived a life is far better than farmed animals. Kids should know the concept of where meat comes from and at least the meat is eaten unlike some cul's in some countries. I agree

ditto "

it's hard work hunting them,plus the cost of rifles,ammo,camo gear,stalking at dawn and dusk,you could be out for hours,days,and not get one,but when you do then you have to grollic,bleed it out,get it back to your truck,then into the coldroom to hang for a week,then skin it,butcher it,label the different cuts of meat,freeze it,but it's worth all the hard work,when you get about 40 kilo of free range organic meat from a deer that has lived a good life in the wild,plus if you were to buy venison in ireland it costs about 30 euro a kilo

Not far away

"Hunting and eating an animal that has lived a life is far better than farmed animals. Kids should know the concept of where meat comes from and at least the meat is eaten unlike some cul's in some countries. I agree

ditto it's hard work hunting them,plus the cost of rifles,ammo,camo gear,stalking at dawn and dusk,you could be out for hours,days,and not get one,but when you do then you have to grollic,bleed it out,get it back to your truck,then into the coldroom to hang for a week,then skin it,butcher it,label the different cuts of meat,freeze it,but it's worth all the hard work,when you get about 40 kilo of free range organic meat from a deer that has lived a good life in the wild,plus if you were to buy venison in ireland it costs about 30 euro a kilo"

very fair comment

dublin

ditto it's hard work hunting them,plus the cost of rifles,ammo,camo gear,stalking at dawn and dusk,you could be out for hours,days,and not get one,but when you do then you have to grollic,bleed it out,get it back to your truck,then into the coldroom to hang for a week,then skin it,butcher it,label the different cuts of meat,freeze it,but it's worth all the hard work,when you get about 40 kilo of free range organic meat from a deer that has lived a good life in the wild,plus if you were to buy venison in ireland it costs about 30 euro a kilo

very fair comment "

thank you

By *o Trash in My TrailerMan  over a year ago

Daytona Beach

More people should have to kill what they are going to eat then they would have a greater view and value on food.

"More people should have to kill what they are going to eat then they would have a greater view and value on food. "

Today's Turkey was brought to our table courtesy of remington.

dublin

"More people should have to kill what they are going to eat then they would have a greater view and value on food. "
I totally agree with you,I hunt,and fish for the table only,and grow my own veg,it all tastes so much better as its all fresh,no pesticides etc

Not far away

"More people should have to kill what they are going to eat then they would have a greater view and value on food. I totally agree with you,I hunt,and fish for the table only,and grow my own veg,it all tastes so much better as its all fresh,no pesticides etc"

dublin

"More people should have to kill what they are going to eat then they would have a greater view and value on food.

Today's Turkey was brought to our table courtesy of remington.

"

By *ugget O CassMan  over a year ago

Salt lake

Never been though I would like to but don't shoot well so a little pointless.

As a guy from the UK, I went Elk hunting in Utah a few years ago. I LOVED IT!

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"exactly the same issue in Scotland, far too many deer and no natural predators same here in ireland

ah ok I hadn't realised that, probably same in Wales and england as well"

Yes, main natural predator used to be wolves - last wild one in Scotland confirmed killed in 1680. Some folks would like a reintroduction program but its up against a lot of opposition.

"exactly the same issue in Scotland, far too many deer and no natural predators same here in ireland

ah ok I hadn't realised that, probably same in Wales and england as well

Yes, main natural predator used to be wolves - last wild one in Scotland confirmed killed in 1680. Some folks would like a reintroduction program but its up against a lot of opposition."

Hubby got a 8 point buck. I didn't see shit but doe.

Nugget I bet you shoot just fine with that pistol of yours ..

I was using my 30/30. Try again this weekend. I beginning to believe asshat put me in that tree stand on purpose.

Venison party at Blu and Kynarics house

We donate some to st. Vincent de paul kitchens.

The coyotes can kill enough, along with normal deaths but only under non man-made circumstances, that's why you feel you have to hunt them. Does everything you kill get eaten/used?

"The coyotes can kill enough, along with normal deaths but only under non man-made circumstances, that's why you feel you have to hunt them. Does everything you kill get eaten/used? "

Yes it does and we donate some of the harvest to soup kitchens locally.

By *n my radarMan  over a year ago

mayo

It's worse here in Ireland no natural predators at all in this country and the deer do untold damage to farms and fencing and cause a few car crashes

"It's worse here in Ireland no natural predators at all in this country and the deer do untold damage to farms and fencing and cause a few car crashes"

The herd here is 1.4 million.

By *ichiebigMan  over a year ago

nenagh

"It's worse here in Ireland no natural predators at all in this country and the deer do untold damage to farms and fencing and cause a few car crashes

The herd here is 1.4 million."

The deer Also are blamed for spreading tb in the cattle herds,

Problem here in Ireland is no young lads are shooting and hunting anymore, when I was a kid all we country lads wanted when we turned 17 was get a cheap single barrel shotgun or a .22 rifle and off after the plants and foxes,

No young lads interested in shooting anymore, to interested in video games and shit like that, anyway shooting deer in Ireland is gone very expensive, you need at least a 22/50 rifle,single round for these rifles is 2euro, and the deer meat is worth nothing as no one wants to eat it, they prefer there chicken nuggets

"It's worse here in Ireland no natural predators at all in this country and the deer do untold damage to farms and fencing and cause a few car crashes

The herd here is 1.4 million.

The deer Also are blamed for spreading tb in the cattle herds,

Problem here in Ireland is no young lads are shooting and hunting anymore, when I was a kid all we country lads wanted when we turned 17 was get a cheap single barrel shotgun or a .22 rifle and off after the plants and foxes,

No young lads interested in shooting anymore, to interested in video games and shit like that, anyway shooting deer in Ireland is gone very expensive, you need at least a 22/50 rifle,single round for these rifles is 2euro, and the deer meat is worth nothing as no one wants to eat it, they prefer there chicken nuggets "

We harvest like 4 a year donate to homeless kitchens and some for ourselves. I agree people have gave up on that choice anymore. But when the pandemic hit people were scrambling for meats. We got multiple calls from friends who don't hunt asking us for some for their families. Ironic some of them never hunted and thought it was wrong.

Having grown up in the countryside I am all for hunting for food. Hunting for sport, nope.

"Having grown up in the countryside I am all for hunting for food. Hunting for sport, nope. "

Agreed we don't predators and we use what we hunt.

nenagh

You have to live in the country to understand nature and how brutal the natural world is, around where i live young lads stopped hunting foxes like we used to ever weekend, the population of foxes exploded and they caused terrible damage to poultry etc, then a virus struck the fox population and killed 90% of them ,natures way of population control

"You have to live in the country to understand nature and how brutal the natural world is, around where i live young lads stopped hunting foxes like we used to ever weekend, the population of foxes exploded and they caused terrible damage to poultry etc, then a virus struck the fox population and killed 90% of them ,natures way of population control "

2 years ago we went out when there was a week of sub zero temperature. Because the herd was so big we they decimated foraging food supply. We found a clearing where they just layed down and froze to death it was sad. All yearlings. About 40 deer.

nenagh

"You have to live in the country to understand nature and how brutal the natural world is, around where i live young lads stopped hunting foxes like we used to ever weekend, the population of foxes exploded and they caused terrible damage to poultry etc, then a virus struck the fox population and killed 90% of them ,natures way of population control

2 years ago we went out when there was a week of sub zero temperature. Because the herd was so big we they decimated foraging food supply. We found a clearing where they just layed down and froze to death it was sad. All yearlings. About 40 deer."

Ya city guys don't understand how tough nature is, in there fantasy world there are no bad guys and everyone lives in harmony, and the little foxes and pigeons are there for our amusement, aaaaaa

What a terrible load of shit

nenagh

"You have to live in the country to understand nature and how brutal the natural world is, around where i live young lads stopped hunting foxes like we used to ever weekend, the population of foxes exploded and they caused terrible damage to poultry etc, then a virus struck the fox population and killed 90% of them ,natures way of population control

2 years ago we went out when there was a week of sub zero temperature. Because the herd was so big we they decimated foraging food supply. We found a clearing where they just layed down and froze to death it was sad. All yearlings. About 40 deer."

Ya city guys don't understand how tough nature is, in there fantasy world there are no bad guys and everyone lives in harmony, and the little foxes and pigeons are there for our amusement, aaaaaa

What a terrible load of shit

» Add a new message to this topic