FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Nicotine helps against covid 19??

Nicotine helps against covid 19??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

French researchers plan to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers.

Lets see what happens

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"French researchers plan to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers.

Lets see what happens"

I see a problem with that as nicotine is only one constituent of a cigarette.

I wonder if they are theorising that smoking has damaged/altered the ACE2 receptors so the virus has trouble attaching.

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

And yet initial medical reports showed smokers were at a higher risk of serious problems from covid due to existing lung damage.

"French researchers plan to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers.

Lets see what happens

I wonder if they are theorising that smoking has damaged/altered the ACE2 receptors so the virus has trouble attaching. "

They say that nicotine attaches to receptors and beacause of that virus cannot do the same.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

As an ex smoker I can CATEGORICALLY state I'll take my chances with coronavirus

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's an interesting trial although just assuming that it's only the nicotine responsible for the effect, seems a little narrow.

It's all a theory for now. They don't want people to start smoking because of this.

Trials with nicotine patches will start so they can see what happens.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Where is the source of this please?

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

If it's true then vaping may be set for an increase.

A

"And yet initial medical reports showed smokers were at a higher risk of serious problems from covid due to existing lung damage."

I think if smokers get it then the risk of having more serious symptoms is greater. That's different to the chances of getting it in the first place entirely.

All the same I'll treat this new theory with reservations for now.

B

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

A

Lets see what happens

I wonder if they are theorising that smoking has damaged/altered the ACE2 receptors so the virus has trouble attaching.

They say that nicotine attaches to receptors and beacause of that virus cannot do the same."

That makes sense (I hadn't read the report as there's no link ).

When someone overdoses on morphine, naloxone is given to reverse the effects. This is because there's a stronger attraction of naloxone to the mu receptor and therefore kicks the morphine off. So I'm now assuming there's a stronger attraction for nicotine over covid 19 re ACE2 receptors, or that's their hypothesis.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Lets see what happens

They say that nicotine attaches to receptors and beacause of that virus cannot do the same.

That makes sense (I hadn't read the report as there's no link ).

When someone overdoses on morphine, naloxone is given to reverse the effects. This is because there's a stronger attraction of naloxone to the mu receptor and therefore kicks the morphine off. So I'm now assuming there's a stronger attraction for nicotine over covid 19 re ACE2 receptors, or that's their hypothesis. "

Theres a link to the report in the Guardian article above.

A

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

A"

https://doi.org/10.32388/FXGQSB

This is the link to the actual article.

It would appear that another receptor is required in the regulation of the ACE2 Receptor and this is what the nicotine attaches to. So my assumption was wrong.

There's a great deal to take in from this article including the virus invading the central nervous system. So I'll watch this upcoming study with interest.

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

A

It would appear that another receptor is required in the regulation of the ACE2 Receptor and this is what the nicotine attaches to. So my assumption was wrong.

There's a great deal to take in from this article including the virus invading the central nervous system. So I'll watch this upcoming study with interest. "

Yes people..what she said. I agree

You have my vote that you get sent to one of those crazy labs and find a cure

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

I've read this a few times now.

There were some early reports from China saying that the number of smokers infected was disproportionately less than would have been expected.

There was something else on the same subject from (I think) the US as well

Now this from the French.

I don't really think anyone knows the exact reason for the anomaly, maybe just coincidence, but it's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

There's no smoke without fire.

By *asmartsCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

"If it's true then vaping may be set for an increase.

A"

Be brilliant for me that!!

A

There's a great deal to take in from this article including the virus invading the central nervous system. So I'll watch this upcoming study with interest. "

I should have stated link to the research article

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I've read this a few times now.

There were some early reports from China saying that the number of smokers infected was disproportionately less than would have been expected.

There was something else on the same subject from (I think) the US as well

Now this from the French.

I don't really think anyone knows the exact reason for the anomaly, maybe just coincidence, but it's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

There's no smoke without fire. "

I won't go back to smoking - did 25 years of that. But glad I've stocked up on my vape liquid.....

A

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Having worked in France and other EU countries over the last 20 years there's a simpler explanation

The majority of people who smoke go outside to drink coffee and smoke during breaks, the rest go to the staff canteen

Who's going to catch it ?

Smokers might have a slightly lower chance of catching it but a much much higher chance of dying from it

I do know that when I stopped smoking I suffered a lot more common colds and other shit.

"Having worked in France and other EU countries over the last 20 years there's a simpler explanation

The majority of people who smoke go outside to drink coffee and smoke during breaks, the rest go to the staff canteen

Who's going to catch it ?

Smokers might have a slightly lower chance of catching it but a much much higher chance of dying from it

I do know that when I stopped smoking I suffered a lot more common colds and other shit."

And just think, those common colds could have been corona viruses .

I'll stick to the science and can see where the researchers are coming from. I actually think it's scarier for the potential of a brain infection. Why? Cos the brain takes longer than any other organ to recover, and doesn't necessarily fully recover.

By *uttyjonnMan  over a year ago

cheshire

Panic buying time, you know it makes sense

By *ensualbicockMan  over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

» Add a new message to this topic