FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Clapping for carrers and support workers.

Clapping for carrers and support workers.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm Carrer and to be quite honest this subject is starting to wind me up how about instead of meaningless gestures the government step up and support carrers looking after disabled relatives at a far reduced rate taking alot of stress of the system.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

I agree with this ... once was a great gesture ... it’s now become the new virtue signalling craze ... second only to vilifying those who don’t go out every week on Facebook.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When a significant number of the NHS staff come out and say enough is enough I'll continue to ignore those saying it's virtue signalling.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"I'm Carrer and to be quite honest this subject is starting to wind me up how about instead of meaningless gestures the government step up and support carrers looking after disabled relatives at a far reduced rate taking alot of stress of the system.

"

Let's see if anything meaningful is done when all this is over.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It helps to distract from the government though. When it gets worse, it will be due to insufficient doses of the clap somewhere. It was a sweet and simple way to show support but it is virtue signalling to a great extent.

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"When a significant number of the NHS staff come out and say enough is enough I'll continue to ignore those saying it's virtue signalling."

Me too

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"It helps to distract from the government though. When it gets worse, it will be due to insufficient doses of the clap somewhere. It was a sweet and simple way to show support but it is virtue signalling to a great extent.

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down. "

I'd go further and say it's a disincentive to front line NHS/care workers being more militant about the awful conditions they work in for fear of alienating the great British public who stand on their door steps clapping every Thursday night.

"I'm Carrer and to be quite honest this subject is starting to wind me up how about instead of meaningless gestures the government step up and support carrers looking after disabled relatives at a far reduced rate taking alot of stress of the system.

"

Although informal carers save the government money (although there are benefits for people with disabilities and their carers), once upon a time society would look after their own. You do see this still occur in Italian communities and Asian families.

chelmsford

Although informal carers save the government money (although there are benefits for people with disabilities and their carers), once upon a time society would look after their own. You do see this still occur in Italian communities and Asian families. "

we look after our own. I'm looking after my 90year old Dad and my recently widowed, disabled brother. I do it because I love them and want to look after them. I can get help from carers, but whilst I can do it, I will

By *ete1260Man  over a year ago

Evesham

"It helps to distract from the government though. When it gets worse, it will be due to insufficient doses of the clap somewhere. It was a sweet and simple way to show support but it is virtue signalling to a great extent.

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down. "

Carers seem to be taken for granted - Carers Allowance is insulting and an utter disgrace - just over £60/week I think and many carers do 24/7/365.

Although informal carers save the government money (although there are benefits for people with disabilities and their carers), once upon a time society would look after their own. You do see this still occur in Italian communities and Asian families. ,

we look after our own. I'm looking after my 90year old Dad and my recently widowed, disabled brother. I do it because I love them and want to look after them. I can get help from carers, but whilst I can do it, I will "

and the government is then left to cater for those who have nobody (if they don't fall through the net).

Exactly this point

liverpool

Although informal carers save the government money (although there are benefits for people with disabilities and their carers), once upon a time society would look after their own. You do see this still occur in Italian communities and Asian families. "

I still think this happens tbf.

And you have to go through hoops to get any type of help.Me mum looks after me dad who has dementia and hasnt been given any help.

chelmsford

Although informal carers save the government money (although there are benefits for people with disabilities and their carers), once upon a time society would look after their own. You do see this still occur in Italian communities and Asian families. ,

we look after our own. I'm looking after my 90year old Dad and my recently widowed, disabled brother. I do it because I love them and want to look after them. I can get help from carers, but whilst I can do it, I will

and the government is then left to cater for those who have nobody (if they don't fall through the net)."

Exactly my thinking there may be a time when I can't cope with them both, then I will ask for help

I think the clapping should stop.

As OP said.

People need to show more respect all the time not just one day

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down. Carers seem to be taken for granted - Carers Allowance is insulting and an utter disgrace - just over £60/week I think and many carers do 24/7/365."

Imagine the scenario - excellent parents, supported their children in various ways especially emotionally - now only one left and needs some support (not medical and just a few days a week), shouldn't children want to do it?

liverpool

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down. Carers seem to be taken for granted - Carers Allowance is insulting and an utter disgrace - just over £60/week I think and many carers do 24/7/365."

Spot on.

Especially taking into account how much money they save the gmnt.

chelmsford

"I think the clapping should stop.

As OP said.

People need to show more respect all the time not just one day"

I would like to think we show respect all the time. My niece is an A&E doctor, she is happy for me to clap for her, so I will continue

liverpool

As OP said.

Someone was outed on Facebook yesterday for not coming out to clap.

From an NHS worker, the sentiment was nice but since people started clapping for Boris, it's become redundant, plus people are gathering in crowds to clap, not observing social distancing, fucking morons.

Although informal carers save the government money (although there are benefits for people with disabilities and their carers), once upon a time society would look after their own. You do see this still occur in Italian communities and Asian families.

I still think this happens tbf.

And you have to go through hoops to get any type of help.Me mum looks after me dad who has dementia and hasnt been given any help."

Social care isn't free (albeit assessment etc), medical care is. People may think it's a medical need when it's not (ie do they need hospitalising or a nursing home?).

liverpool

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down. Carers seem to be taken for granted - Carers Allowance is insulting and an utter disgrace - just over £60/week I think and many carers do 24/7/365.

Imagine the scenario - excellent parents, supported their children in various ways especially emotionally - now only one left and needs some support (not medical and just a few days a week), shouldn't children want to do it? "

Suppose it depends on the circumstances.

If they have kids/work full time etc it can be hard.

If you cant afford a care home you havent got much choice.

chelmsford

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down. Carers seem to be taken for granted - Carers Allowance is insulting and an utter disgrace - just over £60/week I think and many carers do 24/7/365.

Imagine the scenario - excellent parents, supported their children in various ways especially emotionally - now only one left and needs some support (not medical and just a few days a week), shouldn't children want to do it? "

Exactly this. My parents looked after and supported me for 20 years, whilst I lived at home and beyond that when I fled the nest! It's a pleasure looking after my family

The nhs is still open for business we are told....broken front tooth. No dentist...hardly walk on feet. Chiropodist redeployed....daughter suffers seriously with mental health and is really struggling...not been seen for over 6 weeks. The only person dealing with this is me and I'm supposed to be shielded...

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Its turned into a weekly social event for my street... we plan for it and get dressed up for it. So for us its something to look forward to. We also do a dance on the street on a Sunday..

There will always be people that find something a good thing and others that dont.

No one is forced to do it and it helps to keep some focused.

As OP said.

Reread - the OP wants (more) money.

By *itonmyfacebookMan  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"

I'm still working f/t looking after disabled adults for minimum wage and my disabled son with me all the time I'm not working.

Those of a slightly higher social strata, those not working ATM, have no f***ing idea.

As OP said.

People need to show more respect all the time not just one day,

I would like to think we show respect all the time. My niece is an A&E doctor, she is happy for me to clap for her, so I will continue "

I hope people still act like this once this is all over

chelmsford

As OP said.

Someone was outed on Facebook yesterday for not coming out to clap."

Which is one reason I don't go on there...

Spot on.

Especially taking into account how much money they save the gmnt."

The govt cannot pay for everything in life! The social bill would be endless.

chelmsford

As OP said.

People need to show more respect all the time not just one day,

I would like to think we show respect all the time. My niece is an A&E doctor, she is happy for me to clap for her, so I will continue

I hope people still act like this once this is all over"

Well I will be, others will have to do what's right for them

By *itonmyfacebookMan  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"Its turned into a weekly social event for my street... we plan for it and get dressed up for it. So for us its something to look forward to. We also do a dance on the street on a Sunday..

There will always be people that find something a good thing and others that dont.

No one is forced to do it and it helps to keep some focused.

"

I'm usually working on a Thursday evening. Week before last I wasn't. Seems my lane doesn't bother with the clapping and I was eating my tea at 8 o'clock anyway.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

Never been out to clap, never will.

The NHS do a great job, my clapping like a trained seal won't change or influence that in any way.

chelmsford

"From an NHS worker, the sentiment was nice but since people started clapping for Boris, it's become redundant, plus people are gathering in crowds to clap, not observing social distancing, fucking morons. "

I didn't clap for Boris and was nowhere near my neighbours

Imagine the scenario - excellent parents, supported their children in various ways especially emotionally - now only one left and needs some support (not medical and just a few days a week), shouldn't children want to do it?

If you cant afford a care home you havent got much choice."

Parents (not all hence my previous example of excellent parents) made sacrifices shouldn't their kids "pay" a little back?

When I mentioned Italian and Asian families, the parent needing support would go and live with their children.

chelmsford

"The nhs is still open for business we are told....broken front tooth. No dentist...hardly walk on feet. Chiropodist redeployed....daughter suffers seriously with mental health and is really struggling...not been seen for over 6 weeks. The only person dealing with this is me and I'm supposed to be shielded..."

Yep, not good...xx

liverpool

Parents (not all hence my previous example of excellent parents) made sacrifices shouldn't their kids "pay" a little back?

When I mentioned Italian and Asian families, the parent needing support would go and live with their children. "

That's more a cultural thing in italy.

I think kids do 'pay back'their parents.

I help out me mum and dad and millions do more than me(look at that post above)

"From an NHS worker, the sentiment was nice but since people started clapping for Boris, it's become redundant, plus people are gathering in crowds to clap, not observing social distancing, fucking morons.

I didn't clap for Boris and was nowhere near my neighbours "

Did anyone give him the clap?

Wasn't me

chelmsford

Spot on.

The govt cannot pay for everything in life! The social bill would be endless. "

Yes, we have to take responsibility for our own, in my view

chelmsford

When I mentioned Italian and Asian families, the parent needing support would go and live with their children. "

and often still do. We see that locally

By *typical guyMan  over a year ago

wigan

"I agree with this ... once was a great gesture ... it’s now become the new virtue signalling craze ... second only to vilifying those who don’t go out every week on Facebook. "

You could also argue that villifying those that do clap, and saying "I respect/support the nhs all the time, not just for a minute on Thursdays" is the next level of virtue signalling...

When I mentioned Italian and Asian families, the parent needing support would go and live with their children.

That's more a cultural thing in italy.

I think kids do 'pay back'their parents.

I help out me mum and dad and millions do more than me(look at that post above)

"

Yes it is a cultural thing both for Italians and Asians. It was for us Brits a millions years ago but now we want the govt to pay for everything.

chelmsford

"From an NHS worker, the sentiment was nice but since people started clapping for Boris, it's become redundant, plus people are gathering in crowds to clap, not observing social distancing, fucking morons.

I didn't clap for Boris and was nowhere near my neighbours

Did anyone give him the clap?

Wasn't me "

Wuzn't me!

When I mentioned Italian and Asian families, the parent needing support would go and live with their children. ,

and often still do. We see that locally "

I worked in the community (NHS) - I saw it a great deal.

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Lack of ppe

Low wages

Self employed so no income if i don't work as my job is part of key worker

I get bad stares when I jump the supermarket queues. Shopping for others not myself.

No bonuses when supermarket staff getting some

So i continue to work instead of self isolating because i can't afford it and who i care for still need me...

Spot on.

The govt cannot pay for everything in life! The social bill would be endless. ,

Yes, we have to take responsibility for our own, in my view "

If we don't then we have to see our NI contributions and tax rise in an "unprecedented" manner. Who hates that word?

chelmsford

When I mentioned Italian and Asian families, the parent needing support would go and live with their children. ,

and often still do. We see that locally

I worked in the community (NHS) - I saw it a great deal. "

I think it's great

chelmsford

Spot on.

The govt cannot pay for everything in life! The social bill would be endless. ,

Yes, we have to take responsibility for our own, in my view

If we don't then we have to see our NI contributions and tax rise in an "unprecedented" manner. Who hates that word? "

By *arentsgonebadCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

As much as it's a nice gesture I find it quite uncomfortable if I'm honest , we have never been clapped before and we having been going about doing our jobs day in day out every day of the year every year , leaving loved ones at home on birthdays Christmas new years and so on and so on , under staged over worked. We havent had a meaning full pay rise in best part of 10 years and the one we did eventually get isn't even at the rate of inflation. I didn't sign to the profession to be clapped 8pm on a Thursday.

I much rather working conditions as a hole improved for the future right staffing so patients can get the time and care they need and should get.

But that's just me

By *igblackdomTV/TS  over a year ago

West Midlands

"As much as it's a nice gesture I find it quite uncomfortable if I'm honest , we have never been clapped before and we having been going about doing our jobs day in day out every day of the year every year , leaving loved ones at home on birthdays Christmas new years and so on and so on , under staged over worked. We havent had a meaning full pay rise in best part of 10 years and the one we did eventually get isn't even at the rate of inflation. I didn't sign to the profession to be clapped 8pm on a Thursday.

I much rather working conditions as a hole improved for the future right staffing so patients can get the time and care they need and should get.

But that's just me "

Two of my children work in the NHS in roles where they interact with the public, they'd totally agree with your view.

West Midlands

"I agree with this ... once was a great gesture ... it’s now become the new virtue signalling craze ... second only to vilifying those who don’t go out every week on Facebook.

You could also argue that villifying those that do clap, and saying "I respect/support the nhs all the time, not just for a minute on Thursdays" is the next level of virtue signalling..."

..but this is all a distraction from the fact clapping doesn't provide any protection for front line NHS workers and carers.

sheffield

Furthermore half the ones stood on their door step are still nipping to home bargains ect for abit of fence paint and some charcoal for their BBQ ... Because that fits right into the essential guidelines right !

chelmsford

"As much as it's a nice gesture I find it quite uncomfortable if I'm honest , we have never been clapped before and we having been going about doing our jobs day in day out every day of the year every year , leaving loved ones at home on birthdays Christmas new years and so on and so on , under staged over worked. We havent had a meaning full pay rise in best part of 10 years and the one we did eventually get isn't even at the rate of inflation. I didn't sign to the profession to be clapped 8pm on a Thursday.

But that's just me "

I have the greatest respect for you all, having received the best care for my family, in the recent past. I think this has made us all realise just how much you're underpaid and how desperately bad your conditions are. I sincerely hope something changes for you all.

chelmsford

"Furthermore half the ones stood on their door step are still nipping to home bargains ect for abit of fence paint and some charcoal for their BBQ ... Because that fits right into the essential guidelines right ! "

Agreed

sheffield

Thank you XX

But that's just me

I have the greatest respect for you all, having received the best care for my family, in the recent past. I think this has made us all realise just how much you're underpaid and how desperately bad your conditions are. I sincerely hope something changes for you all."

chelmsford

quote]Thank you XX

You're very welcome xx

wigan

"I agree with this ... once was a great gesture ... it’s now become the new virtue signalling craze ... second only to vilifying those who don’t go out every week on Facebook.

You could also argue that villifying those that do clap, and saying "I respect/support the nhs all the time, not just for a minute on Thursdays" is the next level of virtue signalling...

..but this is all a distraction from the fact clapping doesn't provide any protection for front line NHS workers and carers."

Not clapping doesn't provide any protection either, neither does moaning about people that want to show their appreciation.

In fact criticising someone making a nice gesture and turning it political is likely to alienate and offend those that once supported your cause.

As OP said.

Someone was outed on Facebook yesterday for not coming out to clap."

The shaming culture on social media is one of my many pet hates.

West Midlands

..but this is all a distraction from the fact clapping doesn't provide any protection for front line NHS workers and carers.

Not clapping doesn't provide any protection either, neither does moaning about people that want to show their appreciation.

In fact criticising someone making a nice gesture and turning it political is likely to alienate and offend those that once supported your cause."

I wasn't criticising anybody, moaning or being political.

If the public can be 'offended' by someone advocating for health workers to be given adequate PPE, then perhaps the appreciation wasn't so sincere in the first place.

wigan

In fact criticising someone making a nice gesture and turning it political is likely to alienate and offend those that once supported your cause.

If the public can be 'offended' by someone advocating for health workers to be given adequate PPE, then perhaps the appreciation wasn't so sincere in the first place.

"

You aren't the only contributor in this topic and not being overtly critical or political in your first post is pretty much negated by you then choosing to belittle anyone that takes offence at the implication that clapping is just virtue signalling.

An implication that you have just reinforced

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Makes me laugh when i see people saying carers save the government money.

They only save caring governments money, i'm sure other governments would rather the disabled just died and double on 'savings'.

Glasgow

You aren't the only contributor in this topic and not being overtly critical or political in your first post is pretty much negated by you then choosing to belittle anyone that takes offence at the implication that clapping is just virtue signalling.

An implication that you have just reinforced "

Crikey, I don't see that at all, they didn't mention virtue signalling and they weren't belittling anyone in my opinion.

Your view is really what I was referring to in my first post on this thread, health workers are almost afraid to demand the right equipment for fear of upsetting well meaning people who clap them, it's a great distraction tactic for HMG!

By *.A.MGUY55Man  over a year ago

littleborough

dont get me started its ok with clapping but when ppl set off fireworks now thats p""""d me off

Glasgow

"Lack of ppe

Low wages

Self employed so no income if i don't work as my job is part of key worker

I get bad stares when I jump the supermarket queues. Shopping for others not myself.

No bonuses when supermarket staff getting some

So i continue to work instead of self isolating because i can't afford it and who i care for still need me... "

I feel desperately sorry for you and the thousands of others who've been continuing to work during this crisis whilst putting yourselves at great risk, at least NHS have comprehensive employee benefits.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

[Removed by poster at 26/04/20 15:43:48]

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

liverpool

But that's just me "

You are 100% correct.

liverpool

"

Your post was spot on

wigan

An implication that you have just reinforced

Crikey, I don't see that at all, they didn't mention virtue signalling and they weren't belittling anyone in my opinion.

Your view is really what I was referring to in my first post on this thread, health workers are almost afraid to demand the right equipment for fear of upsetting well meaning people who clap them, it's a great distraction tactic for HMG!"

The thing is, you can ask for proper equipment and virtually nobody would disagree. People clapping has absoloutly no relevance to that argument yet once again the pitchforks are out saying the clappers are not supporting the NHS.

Its not one or the other, people can, and do both clap and advocate for fair treatment of nhs staff.

Claiming staff are scared of upsetting the clappers is blatant bullshit as proven by all the people criticising the clappers in this thread.

As for your comment about not seeing the belittling and virtue signalling I refer you to their comment -

"If the public can be 'offended' by someone advocating for health workers to be given adequate PPE, then perhaps the appreciation wasn't so sincere in the first place."

It completely bypasses the point made about people taking offence at being told they are clapping for selfish reasons and goes straight to the guilt trip and implication (once again) they must not care about the nhs and its staff.

It's the standard war cry of the militant supporter which aims to guilt trip and scare people into blindly agreeing and supporting.

If you read back not one person has been offended, or has a problem with staff requesting proper ppe yet the poster you defend chooses to imply they have as they know people will support that viewpoint. That is actual distraction and manipulation.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

I'm actually ok with my carers allowance rate, I'm a full time carer to my mum, I don't think we are in any financial difficulty, my bills are paid, we aren't struggling. I used to get my Friday evening out as my 'break time', that's now out of the window since lockdown but it's not too bad.

By *ob rodMan  over a year ago

lancaster

First week I was sat waiting and honestly very meaningful and emotional

Now it’s nice but lost it’s value

Tbh I’m the first out just to see how everyone has up there game we had this week fireworks tambourine and on neighbouring st someone has saxophone

There has been cases of people being shamed which is out of order people show appreciation and gratitude in different way

1 guy on our st works for nhs doesn’t like it

I always clap every thursday

liverpool

"First week I was sat waiting and honestly very meaningful and emotional

Now it’s nice but lost it’s value

Tbh I’m the first out just to see how everyone has up there game we had this week fireworks tambourine and on neighbouring st someone has saxophone

There has been cases of people being shamed which is out of order people show appreciation and gratitude in different way

1 guy on our st works for nhs doesn’t like it"

It's a case of one upnanship.

The guy with the sax sounds like a whopper.

chelmsford

"I always clap every thursday "

We're a pair of clappers, aren't we Shag

"I always clap every thursday

We're a pair of clappers, aren't we Shag "

Yes we are, it is good to show support by doing it

chelmsford

We're a pair of clappers, aren't we Shag Yes we are, it is good to show support by doing it "

Yes it is. The NHS has played a big part in my family's life for past 7 years, could never thank them enough

We're a pair of clappers, aren't we Shag Yes we are, it is good to show support by doing it

Yes it is. The NHS has played a big part in my family's life for past 7 years, could never thank them enough "

That is good it have been doing that too, they are doing a great job

OP hasn't been back - probably cos of all the clapping

I can't work it's one or the other

Spot on.

Especially taking into account how much money they save the gmnt."

You're not saving the government though. You are doing what should be done in any family and any government assistance is a bonus.

Person I'm currently carinng for has lost mobility in their lower body due to medical negligence and miss management of the NHS.

Lost their job then the house then the will to live now depends on me.

I get no assistance from any outside agencies unless the dwp want to send them threatening letters ect.

Court dates are almost set though so fingers crossed for a big pay out

liverpool

Spot on.

You're not saving the government though. You are doing what should be done in any family and any government assistance is a bonus."

When about if you are old and have no one to look after you?

What if you cannot afford to take any time work to provide support?

liverpool

"Person I'm currently carinng for has lost mobility in their lower body due to medical negligence and miss management of the NHS.

I get no assistance from any outside agencies unless the dwp want to send them threatening letters ect.

Court dates are almost set though so fingers crossed for a big pay out"

Is that a relative?

"Person I'm currently carinng for has lost mobility in their lower body due to medical negligence and miss management of the NHS.

Court dates are almost set though so fingers crossed for a big pay out"

Physiotherapy?

Yup

Not worked just caused more pain it's a pretty big case atm

"Not worked just caused more pain it's a pretty big case atm"

Different hospital and pain clinic? Some hospitals have psychology experts to help manage pain non pharmaceutical, prior to that anaesthetists and specialist nurses run clinics, includes botox for migraines, acupuncture, spinal injections (intrathecally).

Been all over the country even abroad this is not something as simple as I think you imagine it's medical negligence

Spot on.

You're not saving the government though. You are doing what should be done in any family and any government assistance is a bonus.

What if you cannot afford to take any time work to provide support?"

So take the help and stop moaning. This country is better than most

So quit my job leave my house a survive on 60 a month ace

liverpool

Spot on.

What if you cannot afford to take any time work to provide support?

So take the help and stop moaning. This country is better than most"

Who the fuck is moaning?

liverpool

"So quit my job leave my house a survive on 60 a month ace "

60 nicker a month?

[Removed by poster at 26/04/20 23:03:06]

"Been all over the country even abroad this is not something as simple as I think you imagine it's medical negligence "

It comes under failure of duty of care, however, I'm not thinking on those lines I'm thinking of the poor guy's pain. Pain itself is complex due to the different pathways and context, hence mentioning different things.

A week you knew what I meant

liverpool

"A week you knew what I meant "

£60 a week.

That must be a struggle to survive on that.

That's why am applause is such a meaningless gesture

Agree! I'm not knocking the nhs but firemen face danger year round, as do armed forces, police.... And many others But now the bin men and bus drivers are heroes.....

And yes carers have always had a bad deal, think the rate is 58 quid a week for a minimum 36 hrs! And it's taxed as its to replace lost earnings lol how can that be right?

Very black and white when we all know there's lots of variation. An individual can still get government care/support while their family member claims carers allowance. The carer can still do work of some sort to add a bit extra.

Or get a full care package for the person, work yourself and do what you can when you can.

Some people here need to be more open minded those of you in your 40s 50s could have your kids washing you and wiping your arse sooner than later.

Be more compassionate

"Some people here need to be more open minded those of you in your 40s 50s could have your kids washing you and wiping your arse sooner than later.

Be more compassionate"

I'll do what I can for my parents and hope my kids will rally for me

Depends on person to person not every carer can work whilst doing the job 24/7.

Im not the only person in this boat and as for government support they would sooner attempt to not pay you rather than acknowledge a disabled vulnerable adult.

The stigma surrounding alone is bonkers

As a NHS worker I can assure you me and my collegues love it. We are taking the time during the clap to think of our fallen collegues. It really does boost morale too and it also acts as a way to check on our elderly neighbours as we wave over and check they are ok

liverpool

"Depends on person to person not every carer can work whilst doing the job 24/7.

Im not the only person in this boat and as for government support they would sooner attempt to not pay you rather than acknowledge a disabled vulnerable adult.

The stigma surrounding alone is bonkers "

I certainly dont think they make it easy to Claim benefits.

They seem to view everyone as a scrounger.

liverpool

"As a NHS worker I can assure you me and my collegues love it. We are taking the time during the clap to think of our fallen collegues. It really does boost morale too and it also acts as a way to check on our elderly neighbours as we wave over and check they are ok"

chelmsford

"As a NHS worker I can assure you me and my collegues love it. We are taking the time during the clap to think of our fallen collegues. It really does boost morale too and it also acts as a way to check on our elderly neighbours as we wave over and check they are ok"

Aah bless you

Going to pretty awkward if your Norfolk and Norwich hospital

"

"

I think there have been many changes in society than mean for many its just not possible now

You could say the same about mothers staying home to care for children while they grow up , how many families have the luxury of that being a practical option these days

People have families later these days (or second families) and therefore have their children at home to take care of til a much later age, build that around a full time job, no chance of early retirement and both parents probably out at work , its not physically possible to be a carer for someone who needs that support full time

"

I think there have been many changes in society than mean for many its just not possible now

You could say the same about mothers staying home to care for children while they grow up , how many families have the luxury of that being a practical option these days

People have families later these days (or second families) and therefore have their children at home to take care of til a much later age, build that around a full time job, no chance of early retirement and both parents probably out at work , its not physically possible to be a carer for someone who needs that support full time

"

This is true. I just wanted to open people's eyes to the fact that the govt provides a safety net, they are not actually there to pay a wage to everyone who looks after family.

chelmsford

"

"

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that can care for my family

Spot on.

Some people who need a carer have more complex needs than a family member should have to take care of.

For instance, my mum has become violent with me, has locked me out of my house in the rain, has verbally and mentally abused me, is that really what someone should put up with?

Your lack of empathy speaks volumes. I'm certainly glad I'm not one of your relatives that might need assistance. "

Absolutely. There are also cases where a parent was abusive. Just because that person is now frail/vulnerable, I would never advocate their children should now look after them. It could be detrimental to their mental health or the parent could be at risk due to a power switch. I've seen the former.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Carers and health workers have been monumentally let down.

I'd go further and say it's a disincentive to front line NHS/care workers being more militant about the awful conditions they work in for fear of alienating the great British public who stand on their door steps clapping every Thursday night."

Completely agree. I'm a nurse, me and many friends feel the same

By *othiandoggersCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

Nobody gave a fuck before this virus so why now

chelmsford

Spot on.

Some people who need a carer have more complex needs than a family member should have to take care of.

For instance, my mum has become violent with me, has locked me out of my house in the rain, has verbally and mentally abused me, is that really what someone should put up with?

Your lack of empathy speaks volumes. I'm certainly glad I'm not one of your relatives that might need assistance. "

You are quite right, that is very difficult and that's when you need support with looking after your family members, but I appreciate it's not ready available to you.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

[Removed by poster at 27/04/20 08:22:49]

SouthWest Lancashire

"Nobody gave a fuck before this virus so why now "

Think i know why. Everything governments do is for show. Now there's a health crisis around the world we all of a sudden have to show we have the best care, the best NHS, the best citizens to provide care for others. Ignoring the fact that this government has cut pretty much every single social care thing that's possible. But it's ok to be a hypocrite so long as the world doesn't know about it.

As for the populace, i like to think they always appreciated caring people.* I'm just gonna ignore that hate crimes, attacks on disabled etc have gone up since this government got into power and the corona virus kinda made it ok to be racist to asians too if you're a racist.

Oh yeah and UC has gone up by £20 a week, yay. Just gonna ignore the fact that you only get paid UC once a month and not 4 weekly like other benefits so anyone claiming that loses 1 whole months welfare...

It's amazing how you can make something seem better than i really is just with a few tweaks and some ignorance.

*I know many do appreciate caring people, just surprised to see how many people seem to live off hate for others. I was brought up in the PC age where you had to keep your gob shut if you were a racist or whatever, which was quite pleasant.

"Furthermore half the ones stood on their door step are still nipping to home bargains ect for abit of fence paint and some charcoal for their BBQ ... Because that fits right into the essential guidelines right ! "
okay as long as that's not the only thing they go for though.

My shopping this week has included bunting for ve day street party.. ( obviously likely to be confined to our own gardens)

For many the Thursday isnt just about the support for key workers.. it's about bringing communities together when many feel so far apart.

My daughter with disabilities loves the Thursday clapping.. she feels the buzz in the air and smiles ( I'll keep doing it for that as well as the people that within the nhs and beyond find it a weekly lift)

It would mean far more if we were given some PPE! How many weeks in and we still have nothing.

By *ondonexplorerMan  over a year ago

Ascot

"

For many the Thursday isnt just about the support for key workers.. it's about bringing communities together when many feel so far apart.

My daughter with disabilities loves the Thursday clapping.. she feels the buzz in the air and smiles ( I'll keep doing it for that as well as the people that within the nhs and beyond find it a weekly lift)"

^This.

Obviously everyone who claps will never consider voting Tory again, and the NHS and all our care workers will get everything they need after the next general election.

chelmsford

"Furthermore half the ones stood on their door step are still nipping to home bargains ect for abit of fence paint and some charcoal for their BBQ ... Because that fits right into the essential guidelines right ! okay as long as that's not the only thing they go for though.

My shopping this week has included bunting for ve day street party.. ( obviously likely to be confined to our own gardens)

My daughter with disabilities loves the Thursday clapping.. she feels the buzz in the air and smiles ( I'll keep doing it for that as well as the people that within the nhs and beyond find it a weekly lift)"

Good for you

"

My daughter with disabilities loves the Thursday clapping.. she feels the buzz in the air and smiles ( I'll keep doing it for that as well as the people that within the nhs and beyond find it a weekly lift)

^This.

Obviously everyone who claps will never consider voting Tory again, and the NHS and all our care workers will get everything they need after the next general election."

Why wont those that clap vote Tory again. I know most of my street has and probably will again. Let's face it every government let's the nhs down

"

^This.

Obviously everyone who claps will never consider voting Tory again, and the NHS and all our care workers will get everything they need after the next general election."

How come ?

"

"

You choose to have children, you don't choose to be blind or loose a leg or.... it's not a comparison on any level!

"

You choose to have children, you don't choose to be blind or loose a leg or.... it's not a comparison on any level!"

Your point?

Quote... You could say the same about mothers staying at home......

You decide to have children it's a choice, you don't decide to go blind in nine months time that's my point and why the two things are not the same! Children make you busy but they don't stop you from opening a packet.... Perhaps the question should be what was your point? Why do you think the situation compares?

liverpool

"Quote... You could say the same about mothers staying at home......

You decide to have children it's a choice, you don't decide to go blind in nine months time that's my point and why the two things are not the same! Children make you busy but they don't stop you from opening a packet.... Perhaps the question should be what was your point? Why do you think the situation compares?"

You have lost me aswell tbh.Isnt it about people looking after their parents?I dont really get the connection with being disabled.

They are looking after the parent mainly because they are disabled, and the original post states the carer should be better looked after........

liverpool

"They are looking after the parent mainly because they are disabled, and the original post states the carer should be better looked after........ "

Not so much if they are disabled..they could just need caring for.

chelmsford

"They are looking after the parent mainly because they are disabled, and the original post states the carer should be better looked after........ "

Yes carers should be given help if required, especially if looking after a disabled person, I know. I don't know if the OP has had a care assessment of his family member, they will see what help they can give. Especially difficult if you are caring full time and thus can't work.

"Quote... You could say the same about mothers staying at home......

You decide to have children it's a choice, you don't decide to go blind in nine months time that's my point and why the two things are not the same! Children make you busy but they don't stop you from opening a packet.... Perhaps the question should be what was your point? Why do you think the situation compares?"

My posts have been about (adult) children looking after a parent.

A person with disabilities not a disabled person. The former is inclusive of any disability, from birth or "acquired".

Let's just say each case is individual, we could split hairs forever, personally I agree with the original poster.

But it does seem there is a lack of empathy from many posters.

It was me that mentioned it being the similar for mothers looking after children , i wasn't suggesting having a child was like having a disability i have no idea how its even come across like that

I was responding to “years gone by people looked after their own”

My point was society has changed in many ways that makes things that there were possible in years gone by not so practical now

IE in years gone by mothers stayed at home to look after the children, now generally both parents in a household have to work

I was trying to get across that its not always through choice And just not wanting to that people don't look after their parents these days, life is much more complicated than it used to be and circumstance often doesn't make it possible, certainly not full time anyway

yes society has changed (we all know that!) and we've made it more complicated BUT for what reason?

no need to answer, the road to hell is paved with good intentions

SouthWest Lancashire

"They are looking after the parent mainly because they are disabled, and the original post states the carer should be better looked after........

Yes carers should be given help if required, especially if looking after a disabled person, I know. I don't know if the OP has had a care assessment of his family member, they will see what help they can give. Especially difficult if you are caring full time and thus can't work."

I was about to have an assessment but my worker went on holiday for 3 weeks just before the lockdown, not heard anything from them since. Totally forgot about them because i'm just used to doing everything without support by now anyway.

chelmsford

"They are looking after the parent mainly because they are disabled, and the original post states the carer should be better looked after........

Yes carers should be given help if required, especially if looking after a disabled person, I know. I don't know if the OP has had a care assessment of his family member, they will see what help they can give. Especially difficult if you are caring full time and thus can't work.

I was about to have an assessment but my worker went on holiday for 3 weeks just before the lockdown, not heard anything from them since. Totally forgot about them because i'm just used to doing everything without support by now anyway."

That's not good..

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

It’s changing though, 2nd and 3rd gen Asian families don’t do it so much anymore , charities and social enterprises do using gov funding, they’ve been assimilated into “modern” British culture now and expect the state to do it like everyone else.

If you take all money out the system and keep people on low wages for 3-5 decades, they can no longer afford to look after old and disabled like before, it’s simple maths

SouthWest Lancashire

I was about to have an assessment but my worker went on holiday for 3 weeks just before the lockdown, not heard anything from them since. Totally forgot about them because i'm just used to doing everything without support by now anyway.

That's not good..

"

It's not too bad because i sorted out my own support network outside of organisations, i was dealing with social services initially when i first became a carer and they didn't help with anything (not even a washing machine when mine broke down and i need one because the person i care for is incontinent). Eventually another parent told me i should be claiming DLA for my son, she also had a disabled son and gave me more advice when i'd bump into her in the street and randomly chat with her than any of SS did in years of interfering.

So i'm sort of meh about them helping me, although i've got some stuff in my house now for my mobility issues so that's been good.

» Add a new message to this topic