FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > British farmers not accepting

British farmers not accepting

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

British applicants seems to be more of an issue opossed to British people not applying to do the work.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

I saw figures suggesting 6000 applied 1000 offered jobs, 900 turned down the the offer for various reasons.

I know 5 all the males from my current job got rejected all well educated to

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"I know 5 all the males from my current job got rejected all well educated to "

What were the reasons they were rejected?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

The farmers say they want to hire from abroad as those workers are more experienced.

Sceptics say that they want to hire from abroad as they want to pay lower labour rates.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"The farmers say they want to hire from abroad as those workers are more experienced.

Sceptics say that they want to hire from abroad as they want to pay lower labour rates."

Yep, sounds more likely

By *assy211279Woman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere Cornwall

"The farmers say they want to hire from abroad as those workers are more experienced.

Sceptics say that they want to hire from abroad as they want to pay lower labour rates."

It has to be lower labour rates or they would have accepted my allocation first time. Still I will stay carer and small holding runner.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A farmer stated that he needs people in July and August when most British workers are hoping togo back to their old jobs so cant rely on them.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I find this at odds with what I've heard.

Last week on the West Midlands TV news bulletins, there was such a topic being covered and discussed.

Admittedly, the film crew only interviewed one Farmer, but he said he and fellow fruit / veg farm owners had had v good responses from British workers who were looking for jobs and they were proving to be very good at their jobs.

Maybe, it isn't all that bad all over the UK.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The farmers have expected to charge for accommodation, such as sharing a caravan with several others, which means people with their own homes are paying twice for accom and accepting downgrades to their living standards, alongside high proximity to others. If you've a family to care for etc, it sounds like a job spec that's been designed for itinerant visitors. It also seems like the mindset of an employer from the dark ages. 1 woman was told she couldn't drive to work, she had to remain there at all times.

By *uadzillaMan  over a year ago

Warwickshire

It's down to greed of the farmers.

This is the score on fruit and veg pickers from abroad (I have 2 friends who both came over to work in this country)

They rent accomodation to them on site or nearby the rent comes immediately out of their wages so they actually get paid very little for the job becaus most goes on rent, the rent for these places are not worth what they charge either, a lot of them are on site and more like barns with beds in, if they choose British workers then the majority of them have homes already so they would have to pay them all of the wage and that would reduce the farmers profits, it's basically slave labour but legal. As I've said previously I know first hand because of friends nothing to do with experience neither of my friends had experience at all

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"It's down to greed of the farmers.

This is the score on fruit and veg pickers from abroad (I have 2 friends who both came over to work in this country)

They rent accomodation to them on site or nearby the rent comes immediately out of their wages so they actually get paid very little for the job becaus most goes on rent, the rent for these places are not worth what they charge either, a lot of them are on site and more like barns with beds in, if they choose British workers then the majority of them have homes already so they would have to pay them all of the wage and that would reduce the farmers profits, it's basically slave labour but legal. As I've said previously I know first hand because of friends nothing to do with experience neither of my friends had experience at all "

Now people can see first hand what the eu is all about,free movement was always designed to import cheap labour.

By *rincess_boiCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Maybe if the, suppliers, wholesalers, supermarkets, general public paid a fair price for the farmers produce, the farmers could afford to pay a better wage!

"Now people can see first hand what the eu is all about,free movement was always designed to import cheap labour."

Yep, in order for us to have the semblance of self-sufficiency. It also allows us to start the pull in of young educated foreigners, those that foreign countries have paid to educate (so we don't have to).. I believe there is genuine animosity to people that have left.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

They rent accomodation to them on site or nearby the rent comes immediately out of their wages so they actually get paid very little for the job becaus most goes on rent, the rent for these places are not worth what they charge either, a lot of them are on site and more like barns with beds in, if they choose British workers then the majority of them have homes already so they would have to pay them all of the wage and that would reduce the farmers profits, it's basically slave labour but legal. As I've said previously I know first hand because of friends nothing to do with experience neither of my friends had experience at all "

The only problem with your post is fruit pickers are covered by the agricultural wages board which sets pay rates and also the deductions which are allowed for accommodation, that is 4.86 per day, anyone deducting more is breaking the law but hey why let facts get in the way.

By *oved Up 2Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

A lot of farmers voted for Brexit which seems bizarre when they're so reliant on labour from Europe. Wonder how they'll cope post Brexit with both labour shortage and no EU subsidies. Interesting times

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

They rent accomodation to them on site or nearby the rent comes immediately out of their wages so they actually get paid very little for the job becaus most goes on rent, the rent for these places are not worth what they charge either, a lot of them are on site and more like barns with beds in, if they choose British workers then the majority of them have homes already so they would have to pay them all of the wage and that would reduce the farmers profits, it's basically slave labour but legal. As I've said previously I know first hand because of friends nothing to do with experience neither of my friends had experience at all

The only problem with your post is fruit pickers are covered by the agricultural wages board which sets pay rates and also the deductions which are allowed for accommodation, that is 4.86 per day, anyone deducting more is breaking the law but hey why let facts get in the way."

Any chance you can put some final figures on that so we can work on the facts please? What is the pay rate set by the “agricultural wages board”, is it not under the seasonal workers scheme at less than minimum wage?

bournemouth

The only problem with your post is fruit pickers are covered by the agricultural wages board which sets pay rates and also the deductions which are allowed for accommodation, that is 4.86 per day, anyone deducting more is breaking the law but hey why let facts get in the way.

Any chance you can put some final figures on that so we can work on the facts please? What is the pay rate set by the “agricultural wages board”, is it not under the seasonal workers scheme at less than minimum wage? "

Its published by the government, cant pay less than the minimum wage, I'm not saying that some wont try it mind, a lot of pickers are employed by gang masters that growers call up when they want labour, there have been a few that have been prosecuted for breaking the law by not paying the right amount, mostly they have been eastern European, and bringing workers and treating them like slaves while still charging growers the proper wage rates.

bournemouth

Part of the problem is people want cheap food, if you go to say France and spend time checking their food is a lot dearer, the big super markets here treat suppliers like shit, part of the reason we sell everything direct into the leisure market rather than to bug buyers.

Sceptics say that they want to hire from abroad as they want to pay lower labour rates.

A lot of farmers voted for Brexit which seems bizarre when they're so reliant on labour from Europe. Wonder how they'll cope post Brexit with both labour shortage and no EU subsidies. Interesting times"

I'd say that most of the people who voted for Brexit did it against their own interests. The pandemic will exacerbate and anticipate many of the issues. I wonder when/if this people will realise what thay did.

By *rincess_boiCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Farm workers & farmers have never earned a ‘good wage’

Years ago there was always a ready available supply of seasonal/non seasonal workers from the UK willing to do the labour intensive jobs on farms, the fruit picking, the vegetable grading . These jobs involve long hours in all weathers.

As society has changed over the years in the UK, people wanting more social time, wanting more wages/money for less effort, people have left the Agricultural industry in search of a better life. (Can not blame them) This left a massive void of people doing these jobs. As parts of the world are still developing people from other countries realised that they could come to the UK for work, and earn more money than they previously had in there home nation. Some of these people still live and work in the UK, some have taken there money back home to start a new life for themselves in there home nations.

With obvious movement restrictions around the world, it would harder for farmers to recruit tseasonal staff from abroad.

There would be enough staff in the UK despite being in lockdown if some of the nation were actually prepared to work, but there seems more incentive for some to stay at home and moan about the system than rather do some graft and earn a £pound even if it’s not lots of pounds? Xx

bournemouth

It's hard graft lifting spuds when its wet even using a machine, harvesting crops is much more fun abroad, and your young and want to experience a different life, even if the UK is abroad, plenty of Spanish and Italians come here to work in hotels for minimum wage as uk kids go there.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"British applicants seems to be more of an issue opossed to British people not applying to do the work. "

Personally, I think:

1. Don't want furloughed staff as they can be called back to work leaving them stranded.

2. The bottom line: British people expect certain working conditions...migrants, get the job done no fuss, as they're paid well compared to what they'd earn at home.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Always the bottom line: cheap labour able to hit the ground running.

I wonder if its a case of them thinking some of the British workers wont hack it. I worked in seasonal horticulture, nowhere near as demanding as seasonal agriculture, and a lot of the Uk people we had just couldnt hack the job and left after a day or less. Then again we also had some guys straight out of college who worked solid for 3 months harder than anyone. People should be given the chance.

Warwickshire

The only problem with your post is fruit pickers are covered by the agricultural wages board which sets pay rates and also the deductions which are allowed for accommodation, that is 4.86 per day, anyone deducting more is breaking the law but hey why let facts get in the way."

This is correct but the accomodation isn't a very good standard, eg 20-30 beds in a barn or 4 birth caravan with 6 inside, the rent for this is set high for these standards and if you're British you'd most likely have your own home etc so there wouldn't be any deductions so the point still stands they don't pay the same

Minimum wage still applies to anyone with the right to work.

NW London

The main problem at the moment is that most British applicants want part time or short term work as they are expecting to go back to their regular jobs. Farmers want longer term commitment with the peak of the work in late May/June, by this time it's likely that a lot if furloughed staff will be recalled by this time.

Or by this time companies will be back working and more desirable employment may become available.

Also some farms have a distance policy (only looking for local workers). I've read of a few who won't have anyone who lives more than 10 miles away unless they are prepared to live on site.

bournemouth

This is correct but the accomodation isn't a very good standard, eg 20-30 beds in a barn or 4 birth caravan with 6 inside, the rent for this is set high for these standards and if you're British you'd most likely have your own home etc so there wouldn't be any deductions so the point still stands they don't pay the same "

The deduction for accommodation is set by the ag wages board, in the case of a caravan is 4.86 a day, not sure quite why you think that is a lot

Warwickshire

This is correct but the accomodation isn't a very good standard, eg 20-30 beds in a barn or 4 birth caravan with 6 inside, the rent for this is set high for these standards and if you're British you'd most likely have your own home etc so there wouldn't be any deductions so the point still stands they don't pay the same

The deduction for accommodation is set by the ag wages board, in the case of a caravan is 4.86 a day, not sure quite why you think that is a lot"

Do they pay them less than British people ? No

Do they provide accommodation ? No

Do they provide accommodation if they pay rent ? Yes

Is rent set to high for what it is ? Yes

Do they provide them accommodation of high quality ? No

Do they allow them to leave the site of work ? No

Have over 3500 British workers applied for work ? Yes

Have only 100 been taken on ? Yes

Why ? Because they can't take rent from them hence having to pay more out.

Please remember I do have friends who have worked for several farmers, they are both from Poland and it's only seasonal so there's no excuses for British workers not getting them whilst on furlough.

Your last line there.

We have been giving letters telling us we can't work for anyone else or face dismissal while we are on furlough leave.

Good enough excuse.

FFS some people and their sweeping statements.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

There is a contractor down this way looking for Machinery operators and Class 2 drivers.

If you try the Argicultural Machinery Rings for the region you are in, you will see the lists of jobs available.

NW London

The deduction for accommodation is set by the ag wages board, in the case of a caravan is 4.86 a day, not sure quite why you think that is a lot"

Summer Fruits England states a maximum charge of £52.85 per week for accommodation. Not clear if this is per unit or per person?

bournemouth

The deduction for accommodation is set by the ag wages board, in the case of a caravan is 4.86 a day, not sure quite why you think that is a lot

Do they pay them less than British people ? No

Do they provide accommodation ? No

Do they provide accommodation if they pay rent ? Yes

Is rent set to high for what it is ? Yes

Do they provide them accommodation of high quality ? No

Do they allow them to leave the site of work ? No

Have over 3500 British workers applied for work ? Yes

Have only 100 been taken on ? Yes

Why ? Because they can't take rent from them hence having to pay more out.

Please remember I do have friends who have worked for several farmers, they are both from Poland and it's only seasonal so there's no excuses for British workers not getting them whilst on furlough.

"

So 4.86 a day is a lot for accommodation ? That is what they are legally allowed to charge, any more they are breaking the law

bournemouth

Summer Fruits England states a maximum charge of £52.85 per week for accommodation. Not clear if this is per unit or per person?"

Is that for a house ? The figure I quote is for static home or caravan.

I applied for a fruit picking job and was rejected.

Told i lived too far away at about 20 miles. A straight run down the a19 about 20 minutes so think they were a bit unfair

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

Agricultural Minimum Wage

Grades 1 to 6

If a worker’s contract says they should work 39 hours a week (not including overtime) they must be paid the weekly rate, otherwise they must be paid the hourly rate.

Grade of worker Weekly pay Hourly pay Hourly overtime

Grade 1 (compulsory school age) n/a £3.11 £4.67

Grade 1 (above compulsory school age) £242.19 £6.21 £9.32

Grade 2 £271.44 £6.96 £10.44

Grade 3 £298.74 £7.66 £11.49

Grade 4 £320.19 £8.21 £12.32

Grade 5 £339.30 £8.70 £13.05

Grade 6 £366.60 £9.40 £14.10

Full-time and part-time flexible workers

Flexible workers must be paid at least the weekly rate if they are full-time, or at least the hourly rate if they are part-time.

Grade of worker Days per week Hourly pay Weekly pay Hourly overtime

Grade 1 4 to 5 £6.52 £254.28 £9.32

6 £6.64 £258.96 £9.32

Grade 2 4 to 5 £7.31 £285.09 £10.44

6 £7.45 £290.55 £10.44

Grade 3 4 to 5 £8.04 £313.56 £11.49

6 £8.20 £319.80 £11.49

Grade 4 4 to 5 £8.62 £336.18 £12.32

6 £8.78 £342.42 £12.32

Grade 5 4 to 5 £9.14 £356.46 £13.05

6 £9.31 £363.09 £13.05

Grade 6 4 to 5 £9.87 £384.93 £14.10

6 £10.06 £392.34 £14.10

Current wage guidelines for Agriculture workers in the UK

NW London

Summer Fruits England states a maximum charge of £52.85 per week for accommodation. Not clear if this is per unit or per person?

Is that for a house ? The figure I quote is for static home or caravan. "

It doesn't make it clear, it sounds like a caravan though.

Their website says that an average caravan sleeps 3-4.

bournemouth

Is that for a house ? The figure I quote is for static home or caravan.

It doesn't make it clear, it sounds like a caravan though.

Their website says that an average caravan sleeps 3-4."

Last time I looked it was clear the 4.86 is for a caravan

I'm currently working fourloughed and studying my second degree looking to be a gas engineer in a few years.

I'm not qualified for pick fruit apparently I also have venue management and team leader skills but realistically the main reason I can't get a job on farms is because im British

This

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I'm currently working fourloughed and studying my second degree looking to be a gas engineer in a few years.

I'm not qualified for pick fruit apparently I also have venue management and team leader skills but realistically the main reason I can't get a job on farms is because im British "

Not sure what relevance your academic qualifications have for this role or team leading, they might have enough people with those skills.

Why do you think they don't want you because you're British?

"I'm currently working fourloughed and studying my second degree looking to be a gas engineer in a few years.

I'm not qualified for pick fruit apparently I also have venue management and team leader skills but realistically the main reason I can't get a job on farms is because im British

Not sure what relevance your academic qualifications have for this role or team leading, they might have enough people with those skills.

Why do you think they don't want you because you're British?"

It's not a skilled job but speed is very important. All the foreign workers have already gained there speed so to train new applicants up all be it English or foreign would cut into the farmers profits.

Many of these workers work at the same farm and have done for years.

I have higher expectations from my employment and know Alot more regarding workers rights ect

I have two Hungarian friends who currently do fruit picking and they get treated like dog shite hear a new horror story each week.

Best bit is they come here for 6 months send a bunch of money home then go back to Hungary for the end of the year can't even blame them.

Main thing I've learnt is the workers who come here take the money and don't invest it into our economy at all they send it home.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"Main thing I've learnt is the workers who come here take the money and don't invest it into our economy at all they send it home. "

They have to buy food though. The supermarket I use, they come in on buses to shop, but I agree they do send money back home to their families, have also seen them doing their money transfers at customer services in Tescos

Thing is I'm going off experience and not a bunch of hear say and taking the British press at their word verbatim.

Alot of British farms don't want British workers regardless of qualifications I have forklift operating experience on top of what I've stated and quality control but still I seem to be undesired.

chelmsford

"Thing is I'm going off experience and not a bunch of hear say and taking the British press at their word verbatim.

Alot of British farms don't want British workers regardless of qualifications I have forklift operating experience on top of what I've stated and quality control but still I seem to be undesired. "

I don't know why it is it's obviously cheaper for these companies to employ the foreign workers and they appear to be good at their jobs, so doesn't take a lot of working out I suppose

chelmsford

Co incidentally, just had a text from my grandson, he has just got a job at one of these places. He is in his first year at University studying to be an architect

Norfolk and Suffolk farms would rather go barren

chelmsford

"Norfolk and Suffolk farms would rather go barren"

That's a shame

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Main thing I've learnt is the workers who come here take the money and don't invest it into our economy at all they send it home. "

You mean apart from the food they buy, the rent they pay, the petrol they buy to put in their cars, they bus fares they pay, the bars they might frequent... y’know the general things we do to live.

I’m British. I’m a higher rate tax payer. I work full time. I’m a home owner. What of my expenditure would you explicitly class as “investing in our economy” that you don’t think my Spanish or Polish or Dutch colleagues who all do the same as me do?

-Matt

Most forienge fruit pickers I've known got picked up by their employer and Brough food back home from the farm for free.

Also your colleagues are not being flown in to work short term as fruit pickers if you are iwprking a higher tax bracket job.

chelmsford

"Most forienge fruit pickers I've known got picked up by their employer and Brough food back home from the farm for free. "

In our Tesco, they have an aisle dedicated to foods from other countries, which is always very busy with these workers, albeit social distancing now we also see them in our clothes shops, when they are open

Glasgow

Maybe the thousands of British people working abroad in banking, law, education, healthcare etc do exactly the same?

Generally being highly skilled and high earning the % of their income being sent home will be significantly higher than a low paid fruit picker.

Glasgow

Why do you think they don't want you because you're British?

It's not a skilled job but speed is very important. All the foreign workers have already gained there speed so to train new applicants up all be it English or foreign would cut into the farmers profits.

Many of these workers work at the same farm and have done for years.

"

I agree, but in reference to the post I replied to, the preference is because the foreigners are skilled at this work, rather than any anti British sentiment, which the poster implied.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I doubt it is greed of the farmer, more like trying to make a living as supermarkets want to pay as little as they can.

» Add a new message to this topic