FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Mask experts

Mask experts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rHotNotts OP   Man  over a year ago

Dubai

Any knowledge people here

How do we know a mask is genuine N95 and how often should we be spraying them. Should we also wash them periodically

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Definitely don't wash them. They should be from a reputable source. Tbh if everyone wore any masks, it reduce transmission so don't need to be overly concerned on the filteration quality

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Leaving to dry air is the best as viruses die after 24 hrs on fabric

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Buyer beware is all i would say, especially if buying from Ebay, Amazon etc.

Its very easy for CE EN149:2001 FFP2 (which is the UK/EU equivalent to the US N95 standard) to be marked on a mask.

That doesn't mean it is genuine.

Unless it is a designated reusable mask there are only so many times a single use mask can be regenerated before it loses its filtering capability.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Beware if from China via Amazon. Apparently lots of sub-standard stuff....but tbf we all know that anyway....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Definitely don't wash them. They should be from a reputable source. Tbh if everyone wore any masks, it reduce transmission so don't need to be overly concerned on the filteration quality "

This, in high risk areas then the highest level of ppe is required..

If I'm off to the shop and we start to wear face coverings we are going to make some, double layer of washable material plus social distances for the limited time possibly exposed etc..

Op, are you looking to source for employees?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Definitely don't wash them. They should be from a reputable source. Tbh if everyone wore any masks, it reduce transmission so don't need to be overly concerned on the filteration quality

If I'm off to the shop and we start to wear face coverings we are going to make some, double layer of washable material plus social distances for the limited time possibly exposed etc..

"

there are some good patterns and you tune videos on how to make your own face coverings. Getting wire for the nose bridge is the hardest bit currently. I've been reusing things.

And a good tip was to fold a nylon stocking inbetween your cotton layers for added protection. Sure we have a few pairs laying around unused currently.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

You tube obviously not you tune

in Lancashire

"Definitely don't wash them. They should be from a reputable source. Tbh if everyone wore any masks, it reduce transmission so don't need to be overly concerned on the filteration quality

there are some good patterns and you tune videos on how to make your own face coverings. Getting wire for the nose bridge is the hardest bit currently. I've been reusing things.

And a good tip was to fold a nylon stocking inbetween your cotton layers for added protection. Sure we have a few pairs laying around unused currently. "

Yes we've tuned in to that too..

By *rHotNotts OP   Man  over a year ago

Dubai

"

For friends / family but not Dubai or UK we have enough, for other areas reopening next week where there is no supplies locally

in Lancashire

For friends / family but not Dubai or UK we have enough, for other areas reopening next week where there is no supplies locally "

I think in line with the advice above there will need to be caution to do with anything ppe given the amount of chancers etc this has inevitably thrown up..

Good luck with it..

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I had a long career in respiratory protection and fitting respirators. If you had the finist military respirator but not fitted and worn correctly then it literally would be about as much use as a chocolate frying pan... With most DIY type masks the most difficult area to fit correctly is around the bridge of the nose.

in Lancashire

"I had a long career in respiratory protection and fitting respirators. If you had the finist military respirator but not fitted and worn correctly then it literally would be about as much use as a chocolate frying pan... With most DIY type masks the most difficult area to fit correctly is around the bridge of the nose. "

This..

Same with ba, seen some adverts for respirators and ba equipment but as you rightly say if its not fitted and or worn correctly it's useless..

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I had a long career in respiratory protection and fitting respirators. If you had the finist military respirator but not fitted and worn correctly then it literally would be about as much use as a chocolate frying pan... With most DIY type masks the most difficult area to fit correctly is around the bridge of the nose.

This..

Same with ba, seen some adverts for respirators and ba equipment but as you rightly say if its not fitted and or worn correctly it's useless.. "

We actually agree on something?

in Lancashire

"I had a long career in respiratory protection and fitting respirators. If you had the finist military respirator but not fitted and worn correctly then it literally would be about as much use as a chocolate frying pan... With most DIY type masks the most difficult area to fit correctly is around the bridge of the nose.

This..

Same with ba, seen some adverts for respirators and ba equipment but as you rightly say if its not fitted and or worn correctly it's useless..

We actually agree on something?"

We have so before..

in Lancashire

This..

We actually agree on something?"

I have friends with whom we are totally opposite in politics, however we share many commonly held beliefs..

I would say that is not uncommon..

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

If you have a beard, you are wasting your time wearing it. The mask will not make a good seal, due to hair growth.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Keeping 2m from everyone and keeping your hands clean is far more effective than any ppe

You're at a very high risk if you rely on ppe and aren't trained on how to use it. Removing a contaminated mask has to be done properly and disposed of immediately.

They can be reused for dust but not for viruses or bacteria

I'd say if you find one for sale it's 99% fake

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'd probably not be looking for N95 (US classification as noted) or similar, but the best home made or similar mask you can get. A study came out recently, I'm afraid I've mislaid the link (and I'm not sure it's peer reviewed yet, but a lot isn't in this environment). The suggestion is thick weave cotton on the outside is the best thing to stop things getting in, and something with static like silk or chiffon will stop your stuff getting out. Obviously then you'll need multiple layers.

I heard separately that 58C kills (I think it was) related viruses so look for something you can wash at 60.

It's not as good as a medical grade mask, but if you combine that with appropriate donning and doffing, fitting it properly, and maintaining social distancing, I think that's going to be your best bet where there are PPE shortages.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... I'm not an expert. I just deal with uncertainty by binging on knowledge.

For correct use of masks a person should be face fit tested to ensure that the mask makes a seal around your mouth and nose. The surgical masks being worn are to prevent infection of the patient and not the wearer. in the uk there are 3 grades that are generally sold. FFP1 FFP2 AND FFP3 each are tested to how many particles they remove when your wearing them. They are also generally single use items unless you buy the one with interchangeable filters, where again the filters are graded to the same standards. Gents wearing masks need to be clean shaven for them to work effectively and form a seal. The alternative to these if a person cant wear a mask is an air fed full face visor. This is a small fan which blows filtered air between your face and a full face visor..if you want the standards just google ffp3 which is the highest one and used generally in pharmaceutical industries.

"I'd probably not be looking for N95 (US classification as noted) or similar, but the best home made or similar mask you can get. A study came out recently, I'm afraid I've mislaid the link (and I'm not sure it's peer reviewed yet, but a lot isn't in this environment). The suggestion is thick weave cotton on the outside is the best thing to stop things getting in, and something with static like silk or chiffon will stop your stuff getting out. Obviously then you'll need multiple layers.

I heard separately that 58C kills (I think it was) related viruses so look for something you can wash at 60.

It's not as good as a medical grade mask, but if you combine that with appropriate donning and doffing, fitting it properly, and maintaining social distancing, I think that's going to be your best bet where there are PPE shortages."

I've read the same study. I've made my masks with 2 layers of quilting cotton and a layer of flannel in between. Jewellery making findings work well for nose wires. A good snug fit with no gaps. Can wash them or iron them to desinfect. I'll rather have this than nothing at all.

By *oodhe1Man  over a year ago

Coleford

"I had a long career in respiratory protection and fitting respirators. If you had the finist military respirator but not fitted and worn correctly then it literally would be about as much use as a chocolate frying pan... With most DIY type masks the most difficult area to fit correctly is around the bridge of the nose. "
To addto this if your not clean shaven the mask is useless, that's why face it is required to make sure it's the right one for you.

By *oodhe1Man  over a year ago

Coleford

"I had a long career in respiratory protection and fitting respirators. If you had the finist military respirator but not fitted and worn correctly then it literally would be about as much use as a chocolate frying pan... With most DIY type masks the most difficult area to fit correctly is around the bridge of the nose. To addto this if your not clean shaven the mask is useless, that's why face fit is required to make sure it's the right one for you."

» Add a new message to this topic