FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > 99% on here seem in favour of lockdown

99% on here seem in favour of lockdown

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *etsome OP   Man  over a year ago

birmingham

and many accuse those few who are not sure it's the best strategy of not carrying about peoples lives. Are you still confident that 3 or 4 months of lockdown will save more lives than will be lost due to economic collapse?

Are you so sure - that you will agree to any amount of lockdown the government says is necessary?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No

No

Er, No

But it's the right thing to do at the mo

By *he chef 45Man  over a year ago

Banbridge

The economy will bounce back however long it takes not one lost life will ever bounce back I'm sure if you did a survey 100% of people would rather be alive and a bit worse off financially what about you OP

No one has the answer. It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string or how many full stops are there in a bottle of ink. One thing is for sure there will be plenty of fab experts ready to pillory the government and say how thoroughly rotten they are no matter which way it goes.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Where do you get 3/4 months from, we have next phase plans being issued next week, the sage advisors amend decisions 3 or 4 times a day. No one knows for certain the best we can do is speculate

By *ellbound_GhoulwarpWoman  over a year ago

Fifth Circle of Hell

I agree with the lockdown but I believe it came slightly too late, we should have been locked down straight away to minimise the number of deaths. I said at the beginning that the total death figure would be about 20,000 well we're very close to 30k now, its very sad

People won't be able to sit back for too long without going crazy and potentially breaking the rules for the sake of their sanity. There has been a number of suicides, some people just cant handle it, myself included. It's mentally killing me being trapped at home

By *auti Lass and MoleCouple  over a year ago

Bicester

Still 100% sure and would still be 100% sure if this goes on for over another year (without vaccines etc) over the rushing due to economic downfall.

The reasons are these;

The economy and money in general is a human notion. These things can be made, redistributed, removed, at a whim. Food, shelter, heat, comfort can all be given out for free with promises of reimbursing via other means if the entire social structure is changed.

The government would change focus to ensuring food is given out as a priority as an example.

"Still 100% sure and would still be 100% sure if this goes on for over another year (without vaccines etc) over the rushing due to economic downfall.

The reasons are these;

The economy and money in general is a human notion. These things can be made, redistributed, removed, at a whim. Food, shelter, heat, comfort can all be given out for free with promises of reimbursing via other means if the entire social structure is changed.

The government would change focus to ensuring food is given out as a priority as an example."

We will struggle once the furlough scheme comes to an end .

Nevermind a year in lockdown.

There would be no work to go back to in a years time.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The economy will bounce back however long it takes not one lost life will ever bounce back I'm sure if you did a survey 100% of people would rather be alive and a bit worse off financially what about you OP "
Great post

birmingham

This is going to make the wall street crash and 2008 seem like a picnic.

birmingham

[Removed by poster at 30/04/20 17:51:34]

birmingham

Bit worse off? You have no idea of the tsunami heading this way

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

If lock down was a cure then we would agreed with it, but it is not. All we are doing is kicking the can down the road.

lockdown is a piss take people are still flying without being checked or quarantine

By *auti Lass and MoleCouple  over a year ago

Bicester

"Still 100% sure and would still be 100% sure if this goes on for over another year (without vaccines etc) over the rushing due to economic downfall.

The reasons are these;

The government would change focus to ensuring food is given out as a priority as an example.

There would be no work to go back to in a years time. "

Who says the furlough scheme has to end?

Who says that the businesses aren't given a break during the period?

Home owners have longer mortgage holidays?

Anything that relies on money can be changed.

birmingham

[Removed by poster at 30/04/20 17:57:56]

birmingham

"I agree with the lockdown but I believe it came slightly too late, we should have been locked down straight away to minimise the number of deaths. I said at the beginning that the total death figure would be about 20,000 well we're very close to 30k now, its very sad

People won't be able to sit back for too long without going crazy and potentially breaking the rules for the sake of their sanity. There has been a number of suicides, some people just cant handle it, myself included. It's mentally killing me being trapped at home"

They are expecting humans to be able to cope while being treated like rats in a cage

99% on here seem in favour of lockdown

interesting subject heading

wheres the proof of that

The reasons are these;

Anything that relies on money can be changed."

Sorry but you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The country cannot afford what you are saying.

Maybe for the next 3 month but then everyone will be struggling

There’s gonna be so many people dying of cancer that’s for sure Lockdown is to help the nhs it’s not a cure

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

I think end of the day we are going to be with this for a while .. so not unlocking next week would be a crazy idea .. we are not going to be any better off for staying indoors for another 2 weeks or whatver when this is predicted to last another 12 months .. it will be very tempting to start ignoring the rules for everyone after the next review I should think if they dont at least relax things a little .. it is time to press on I think and deal with the consequences ..

I will find it interesting to see who’s meeting first when the rules allow it ...I bet most of the ones telling people to Stay home will be the first doing so

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I agree with the lockdown but I believe it came slightly too late, we should have been locked down straight away to minimise the number of deaths. I said at the beginning that the total death figure would be about 20,000 well we're very close to 30k now, its very sad

People won't be able to sit back for too long without going crazy and potentially breaking the rules for the sake of their sanity. There has been a number of suicides, some people just cant handle it, myself included. It's mentally killing me being trapped at home

They are expecting humans to be able to cope while being treated like rats in a cage"

I'm sitting in a room, comfortable, warm, safe, with everything I need.

I walked down the street earlier today, combining my exercise with getting some milk. I sang. People were smiling and keeping their distance. It was rather pleasant.

I think being like a rat in a cage would be several orders of magnitude worse.

They are expecting humans to be able to cope while being treated like rats in a cage

I'm sitting in a room, comfortable, warm, safe, with everything I need.

I walked down the street earlier today, combining my exercise with getting some milk. I sang. People were smiling and keeping their distance. It was rather pleasant.

I think being like a rat in a cage would be several orders of magnitude worse."

I ran with my dog today as I always do and a couple walked down the road and tried to infact walk beside me.........so there you go...thankfully I’m fast and sprinted away

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

The reasons are these;

There would be no work to go back to in a years time. "

Agreed

"and many accuse those few who are not sure it's the best strategy of not carrying about peoples lives. Are you still confident that 3 or 4 months of lockdown will save more lives than will be lost due to economic collapse?

Are you so sure - that you will agree to any amount of lockdown the government says is necessary?

"

You’re not Tim Martin are you?

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

The reasons are these;

The government would change focus to ensuring food is given out as a priority as an example."

And where is the food going to come from ?

The world s slowly starting to move again and uk will be the same ...look st B&Q and the likes that are open already for the masses to buy essential plants .....already it’s getting busier it’s all gonna happen before there’s a vaccine

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I agree with lockdown. No I dont think restrictions should be lifted yet. It’s a pandemic and obviously there will be indirect deaths as well as direct deaths from covid, that’s inevitable. The thing is a heart attack in one person doesn’t spread to 3 others does it? You can contain it. If we didn’t have lockdown the numbers would be worse.

The economy can’t handle a second peak anymore that NHS staff can. The whole thing must be distressing and hard work, not to mention the mental health issues going along with experiencing that on a daily basis.

I get the impression that some would happily just throw the doors open and take the consequences but once your hospitals are over run and the NHS staff become fatigued then what? It’s a pandemic, never seen before and yet some expect to just carry on. So naive in my opinion.

Manchester (she/her)

"I agree with lockdown. No I dont think restrictions should be lifted yet. It’s a pandemic and obviously there will be indirect deaths as well as direct deaths from covid, that’s inevitable. The thing is a heart attack in one person doesn’t spread to 3 others does it? You can contain it. If we didn’t have lockdown the numbers would be worse.

The economy can’t handle a second peak anymore that NHS staff can. The whole thing must be distressing and hard work, not to mention the mental health issues going along with experiencing that on a daily basis.

I get the impression that some would happily just throw the doors open and take the consequences but once your hospitals are over run and the NHS staff become fatigued then what? It’s a pandemic, never seen before and yet some expect to just carry on. So naive in my opinion. "

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

We don't have a lockdown

We have restrictions on movement

In a Sparkly Dress

The reasons are these;

Anything that relies on money can be changed."

Because some of the investors have pulled out of funding the furlough scheme, Gov are trying to find replacement investors

"I agree with lockdown. No I dont think restrictions should be lifted yet. It’s a pandemic and obviously there will be indirect deaths as well as direct deaths from covid, that’s inevitable. The thing is a heart attack in one person doesn’t spread to 3 others does it? You can contain it. If we didn’t have lockdown the numbers would be worse.

I get the impression that some would happily just throw the doors open and take the consequences but once your hospitals are over run and the NHS staff become fatigued then what? It’s a pandemic, never seen before and yet some expect to just carry on. So naive in my opinion. "

There is no easy answers.

Do you throw millions into poverty ?

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

I wonder if the NHS staff would agree to us lifting the lockdown, because after all, they are the ones who will have to deal with the fallout

bournemouth

But that's the point of the lockdown, it's about controlling the numbers with it not stopping it, that cant be done until either we have a vaccine or herd immunity kicks in, its naive to think any different, the vulnerable have to stay isolated until either of the former happens

Manchester (she/her)

I get the impression that some would happily just throw the doors open and take the consequences but once your hospitals are over run and the NHS staff become fatigued then what? It’s a pandemic, never seen before and yet some expect to just carry on. So naive in my opinion.

Do you throw millions into poverty ?"

Any government that doesn't launch a massive rescue package will be committing political suicide

The nhs are coping that’s why there are so many empty beds. The centres built are empty so they are coping. Maybe restrictions should be lifted to some extend ..younger ones out first as the virus does not kill everyone it’s targeting the old and impaired ..I know there’s always others that can get it and it can kill but people talk like everyone’s gonna die that catches it and that’s not true. My best mate works I. A large hospital. She told me it’s empty and only a couple of covid patients. Another friend who is a nurse at her hospital has had a letter to say they’re closing it for covid as there’s no one coming in with it.

But that's the point of the lockdown, it's about controlling the numbers with it not stopping it, that cant be done until either we have a vaccine or herd immunity kicks in, its naive to think any different, the vulnerable have to stay isolated until either of the former happens"

I know that’s the point of lockdown, I have been observing it.

You can’t stop this virus but the point is to reduce numbers and open up again gradually, not talk about numbers dropping then go and have a party. Too many people are too keen to end restrictions, it needs a bit more time.

Any government that doesn't launch a massive rescue package will be committing political suicide"

I agree but they have to be carefull that they dont bankrupt the country.

Do you throw millions into poverty ?"

Millions were already in poverty but I don’t recall everyone being in uproar then. It’s funny how perceptions and opinions change when people are directly affected by it. If people lose jobs and businesses close that is not good but if we open and people die I feel that that is worse.

Any government that doesn't launch a massive rescue package will be committing political suicide

I agree but they have to be carefull that they dont bankrupt the country."

No they won’t.

bournemouth

But that's the point of the lockdown, it's about controlling the numbers with it not stopping it, that cant be done until either we have a vaccine or herd immunity kicks in, its naive to think any different, the vulnerable have to stay isolated until either of the former happens

You can’t stop this virus but the point is to reduce numbers and open up again gradually, not talk about numbers dropping then go and have a party. Too many people are too keen to end restrictions, it needs a bit more time. "

Which is what the government and all countries will and have been doing. Except Sweden, it will interesting to see the total excess deaths that happen from 1st Jan 2020 to say may 2021 in every country to see which way was best.

No they won’t. "

Of course they wont

Im not happy about it but out of all the bad options it seems to be the better bad option.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"and many accuse those few who are not sure it's the best strategy of not carrying about peoples lives. Are you still confident that 3 or 4 months of lockdown will save more lives than will be lost due to economic collapse?

"

do you believe we should ever have been "locked down" OP? curious at what angle you are coming from

"The nhs are coping that’s why there are so many empty beds. The centres built are empty so they are coping. Maybe restrictions should be lifted to some extend ..younger ones out first as the virus does not kill everyone it’s targeting the old and impaired ..I know there’s always others that can get it and it can kill but people talk like everyone’s gonna die that catches it and that’s not true. My best mate works I. A large hospital. She told me it’s empty and only a couple of covid patients. Another friend who is a nurse at her hospital has had a letter to say they’re closing it for covid as there’s no one coming in with it. "

There are empty beds and that is why discussions are taking place about taking more patients into hospital and opening up clinics but that is happening now because it can happen now. You couldn’t carry on as normal when you didn’t know what the numbers would be. If they hadn’t prepared for high numbers then beds wouldn’t have been available.

You have to look at areas and numbers. Not every area has the same high numbers. But they are conversations for now which is why that is happening.

Manchester (she/her)

Millions were already in poverty but I don’t recall everyone being in uproar then. It’s funny how perceptions and opinions change when people are directly affected by it. If people lose jobs and businesses close that is not good but if we open and people die I feel that that is worse. "

Yes. Poverty was bad before, but we heard a lot less about it.

No they won’t.

Of course they wont "

That’s what I said but without the eye roll

Whenever it's lifted there'll be a second wave anyway and probably more deadly than the first. That's what happened during the Spanish flu pandemic. There is no easy way out of this situation and we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

The economy will suffer just as badly during a second wave, because 1000s of people will be off work either ill or dying.

Lifting the lockdown may help the economy initially, but it won't last long. Buckle up everyone, because it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Personally lockdown should remain for a few more weeks at least.

Currently the infection rate of the UK pollulation is 0.25%

Death rate of thoses infected is 15.6%

No lockdown, more cases, more deaths.

Staying home saves lifes and helps our NHS.

You can’t stop this virus but the point is to reduce numbers and open up again gradually, not talk about numbers dropping then go and have a party. Too many people are too keen to end restrictions, it needs a bit more time.

Which is what the government and all countries will and have been doing. Except Sweden, it will interesting to see the total excess deaths that happen from 1st Jan 2020 to say may 2021 in every country to see which way was best."

I know that’s the intention and I agree that there should be a gradual process when the time is right. The OP was referring to the cost to life after lockdown - delayed treatments etc and was it worth it. I’m saying that even with that to factor in, I believe it to be the right decision.

The economy can and will recover, you can't recover from being dead.....

The purpose for lockdown was to help the nhs ....they have been helped ......empty hospitals on tv proves that. The centres built remain empty......therefore lockdown restriction can be in place but lifted somehow slowly ....it won’t be a second wave it will be a continuation of the wave we are having . If the nhs can’t cope again then tight restrictions apply again. What if there’s no cure for ten years ....can’t see everyone staying in for ten years can you...already more people about

"Personally lockdown should remain for a few more weeks at least.

Staying home saves lifes and helps our NHS."

The death rate will drop the more people get tested.

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

"

But that's the point of the lockdown, it's about controlling the numbers with it not stopping it, that cant be done until either we have a vaccine or herd immunity kicks in, its naive to think any different, the vulnerable have to stay isolated until either of the former happens"

Indeed that is the whole point. Containment can't work in a country like the UK and the virus will thus run it's course until herd immunity is reached or a vaccine comes along (if it does).

Meanwhile several thousand extra deaths in the UK each week are now attributable to lockdown (e.g. routine operation delays, people not going to hospital when the should etc. and suicides) not the virus.

If anyone can explain the logic of an 'off licence' being an essential business you can visit but a walk, with all the benefits that bestows, in open countryside is banned by certain police forces; then I'm all ears.

So I'm totally against the lockdown as we should have just protected the at risk groups and not crashed the economy. The fall out from that hasn't even started. Millions of jobs will be lost, huge mental health issues and increases in suicides are coming. As crass as it sounds to some this all has to be paid for by us and future generations and the economic and social costs are huge and will reverberate for many years.

Remember that air pollution kills 40,000 a year in the UK alone and no one here has ever called for vehicle to be banned in cities and towns. Why the hypocrisy? Are those lesser deaths?

"The economy can and will recover, you can't recover from being dead....."

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The economy can and will recover, you can't recover from being dead....."

amen to this!!!!

we are going to be in a "new normal" for a while... so think of this time for companies to work out how they work under the new circumstances safely....

so if it means "takeout only"... or reduced capacities with much more social distancing... then it is what it is!

plus actually we have found that a lot of work can get done... for example, working from home

"The purpose for lockdown was to help the nhs ....they have been helped ......empty hospitals on tv proves that. The centres built remain empty......therefore lockdown restriction can be in place but lifted somehow slowly ....it won’t be a second wave it will be a continuation of the wave we are having . If the nhs can’t cope again then tight restrictions apply again. What if there’s no cure for ten years ....can’t see everyone staying in for ten years can you...already more people about"

No, we have to find a way to live with it, but those who think lifting all the restrictions will allow things to get back to how it used to be quickly, are in for a shock.

The world is gonna start moving ..yes slowly but it is and it’s gonna be soon enough. I feel sorry for all the peop,e with cancer etc that are gonna be dead due to being thrown on the ..you don’t matter for now help

"The world is gonna start moving ..yes slowly but it is and it’s gonna be soon enough. I feel sorry for all the peop,e with cancer etc that are gonna be dead due to being thrown on the ..you don’t matter for now help "

Heap

birmingham

Staying home saves lifes and helps our NHS."

There is no way that is the death rate of those infected. Many infected will not even know they have it

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

do you believe we should ever have been "locked down" OP? curious at what angle you are coming from"

My thoughts too, certainly given the Op has been like a dog on a bone with this it seems for him that lives come a second place to prosperity..

Happy to be proven wrong on that..

There is no way that is the death rate of those infected. Many infected will not even know they have it"

This is from the figures recorded.

People seem to think that EVERYONE is gonna die hi gets it. It’s just not true. Shield the most vulnerable yes but most have slight or no symptoms or even feel quite poorly but are fine. Not everyone is gonna die

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"The world s slowly starting to move again and uk will be the same ...look st B&Q and the likes that are open already for the masses to buy essential plants .....already it’s getting busier it’s all gonna happen before there’s a vaccine "

B&Q opened and that straight away put business upon business back into work, all opening back up within a heartbeat, think of all the supply chain into there, it’s massive

"The world s slowly starting to move again and uk will be the same ...look st B&Q and the likes that are open already for the masses to buy essential plants .....already it’s getting busier it’s all gonna happen before there’s a vaccine

B&Q opened and that straight away put business upon business back into work, all opening back up within a heartbeat, think of all the supply chain into there, it’s massive "

Correct. Loads more building merchants and such have opened up too. That’s a fact

birmingham

do you believe we should ever have been "locked down" OP? curious at what angle you are coming from"

I think we should have locked down for 3 to 4 weeks max to flatten the sombraro and ramp up capacity with nightingale. Any more lockdown then that and the devastation to the economy will not save lives - just change what people die of

There is no way that is the death rate of those infected. Many infected will not even know they have it

This is from the figures recorded."

The death rate will be high because they were only testing people who were hospitalized.

So the were very ill to start with.

The more they test none hospitalized people the more the death rate will drop dramatically

"The economy can and will recover, you can't recover from being dead.....

"

What about those that end up loosing their life to cancer and other illnesses because their treatments stopped because of this, are their lives not as worthy to save as those with covid? It’s a fine balance that needs to be found.

What about those that end up loosing their life to cancer and other illnesses because their treatments stopped because of this, are their lives not as worthy to save as those with covid? It’s a fine balance that needs to be found."

Exactly I know someone that’s been left to their own devices with cancer and last he was told he only had months without treatment...now no one cares cos the hospital is not dealing with him no more cos he’s not got corona.

The hospitals will have a third wave of all their backlogged cancer patients

The death rate will be high because they were only testing people who were hospitalized.

The more they test none hospitalized people the more the death rate will drop dramatically "

Agreed, my point is still valid tho, lifting this lockdown will increase infection rate and more deaths will follow.

The more they test none hospitalized people the more the death rate will drop dramatically

Agreed, my point is still valid tho, lifting this lockdown will increase infection rate and more deaths will follow."

They need to find a balance .

I dont envy who has to make these decisions but they need an exit plan .

What about those that end up loosing their life to cancer and other illnesses because their treatments stopped because of this, are their lives not as worthy to save as those with covid? It’s a fine balance that needs to be found.

Exactly I know someone that’s been left to their own devices with cancer and last he was told he only had months without treatment...now no one cares cos the hospital is not dealing with him no more cos he’s not got corona.

The hospitals will have a third wave of all their backlogged cancer patients "

No one life is more worthy than another, I’m sure people don’t think that way at all but the fact is left uncontrolled it has the potential to kill millions never mind thousands.

People can still seek treatment, and should.

Hospitals are making plans to restart clinics in a controlled way. Not all treatments were stopped.

What about those that end up loosing their life to cancer and other illnesses because their treatments stopped because of this, are their lives not as worthy to save as those with covid? It’s a fine balance that needs to be found."

Obviously.

However Cancer isn't contagious. Covid is.

Obviously.

However Cancer isn't contagious. Covid is. "

But why have they stopped treatment for cancer when they can do this alongside. Empty hospital beds and no patients in some hospitals I know for a fact as my mates are nurses They should treat covid AND cancer. More people gonna die of cancer ...one in 3 do. The nhs is gonna be on its knees with cases put on the back burner

One in 3 get cancer ....more people will die without treatment They need to find a way.

birmingham

"No one life is more worthy than another"

Google Quality-Adjusted Life Years

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"No one has the answer. It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string or how many full stops are there in a bottle of ink. One thing is for sure there will be plenty of fab experts ready to pillory the government and say how thoroughly rotten they are no matter which way it goes."

Couldn’t agree more.

Gotta love a Fab scientific / financial expert

Obviously.

But why have they stopped treatment for cancer when they can do this alongside. Empty hospital beds and no patients in some hospitals I know for a fact as my mates are nurses They should treat covid AND cancer. More people gonna die of cancer ...one in 3 do. The nhs is gonna be on its knees with cases put on the back burner "

I thought they stopped because chemo messes up the immune system. So they were shielding cancer patients by keeping them away from hospitals where covid is more likely.

Obviously.

But why have they stopped treatment for cancer when they can do this alongside. Empty hospital beds and no patients in some hospitals I know for a fact as my mates are nurses They should treat covid AND cancer. More people gonna die of cancer ...one in 3 do. The nhs is gonna be on its knees with cases put on the back burner

I thought they stopped because chemo messes up the immune system. So they were shielding cancer patients by keeping them away from hospitals where covid is more likely.

"

Yep but they’ve stopped operations too. Everything they’ve stopped with cancer. A bloke just been on news saying why is covid being put before him. They can shield them too. Have your treatment and then isolate in another hospital

In a Sparkly Dress

Agreed, my point is still valid tho, lifting this lockdown will increase infection rate and more deaths will follow."

Yes its will and if it stays the other non covid-19 deaths rise,and these figures include thousands of under 18's with suicide, dv fatalities and agressive sexual abuse. The samaritans and nspcc volunteers are just as traumatised as the nhs staff.

The care homes have it now so lockdown won't protect them, we need to find a medium and that will be found over the next 6 weeks which is how long the vulnerable who were told to self isolate have left to go.

birmingham

Then we stay locked down permanently

People with cancer etc should have their treatments surely they can isolate after the life saving treatment they need so therefore protected from covid...but no they are told their immune system is too low so they may get the virus. My friend has been told he has months to live unless he has chemo yet when covid came he was t old he was not allowed chemo as that would reduce his immune system so he’s happy to have treatment and stay in the hospital for those extra years or even self isolate with a career but no he’s been told no it’s not even an option now

Ofcourse lifting the lock down will increase infection rate thats a given no matter when we lift lock down.

The whole point of lock down was to give the NHS a chance and not be overrun by the tail end of winter flu season.

Well 8 newly built nightingale hospitals later and now the warmer spring weather soon to be summer.

We need to get back to some kind of normal and end this lock down.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The current lockdown period I'm happy with.

I'd not potentially agree to a many months longer continous lockdown without justification that it was the right thing to do. I'd expect the full scientific evidence that the government has received since the start and I'd also supplement that with information that I'd source alone.

I'd need to look at other illness impacts due to the virus displacing treatment for other problems, such as cancer.

Health and wellbeing of the population or economy? Health. There's a connection but health remains the priority.

By *ottielayWoman  over a year ago

by the bay

"People with cancer etc should have their treatments surely they can isolate after the life saving treatment they need so therefore protected from covid...but no they are told their immune system is too low so they may get the virus. My friend has been told he has months to live unless he has chemo yet when covid came he was t old he was not allowed chemo as that would reduce his immune system so he’s happy to have treatment and stay in the hospital for those extra years or even self isolate with a career but no he’s been told no it’s not even an option now "

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend

I too have a friend who’s treatment has been stopped

It’s shocking that so many people are suffering in silence at home

"People with cancer etc should have their treatments surely they can isolate after the life saving treatment they need so therefore protected from covid...but no they are told their immune system is too low so they may get the virus. My friend has been told he has months to live unless he has chemo yet when covid came he was t old he was not allowed chemo as that would reduce his immune system so he’s happy to have treatment and stay in the hospital for those extra years or even self isolate with a career but no he’s been told no it’s not even an option now

It’s shocking that so many people are suffering in silence at home "

Oh sweetie Thankyou. Sadly this virus has taken over the world and has stopped everything in its tracks. Fingers crossed for a vaccine and all the people that need desperate cancer treatment etc get it fast. You too my thoughts are with you and your friend x

By *ottielayWoman  over a year ago

by the bay

"People with cancer etc should have their treatments surely they can isolate after the life saving treatment they need so therefore protected from covid...but no they are told their immune system is too low so they may get the virus. My friend has been told he has months to live unless he has chemo yet when covid came he was t old he was not allowed chemo as that would reduce his immune system so he’s happy to have treatment and stay in the hospital for those extra years or even self isolate with a career but no he’s been told no it’s not even an option now

It’s shocking that so many people are suffering in silence at home

Oh sweetie Thankyou. Sadly this virus has taken over the world and has stopped everything in its tracks. Fingers crossed for a vaccine and all the people that need desperate cancer treatment etc get it fast. You too my thoughts are with you and your friend x"

Yes it has stopped all sorts of other treatment and I feel for anyone in pain physically or mentally

Thank you xx

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The published road traffic data is enlightening for the UK and and Europe. Incredibly low. The reduced emissions will be helping many people overall.

Obviously.

Yep but they’ve stopped operations too. Everything they’ve stopped with cancer. A bloke just been on news saying why is covid being put before him. They can shield them too. Have your treatment and then isolate in another hospital "

I've seen that suggested. Have the nightingales as covid hospitals and have 'normal' hospitals for everything else.

Hopefully the operations and other treatments will start again soon. X

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"

It’s possibly 1/ age /health related - people of a certain age and health should indeed favour lockdown 2/ trust in the government, I mean if you let go of that it can be a little scary 3/ as with Brexit , not too fussed about the economy and I suspect 2&3 are related.

I think social distancing and hygiene and certain types of lockdown were needed e.g tubes, airports pubs etc but the rest is simply because they fucked the NHS first

Obviously.

Yep but they’ve stopped operations too. Everything they’ve stopped with cancer. A bloke just been on news saying why is covid being put before him. They can shield them too. Have your treatment and then isolate in another hospital

I've seen that suggested. Have the nightingales as covid hospitals and have 'normal' hospitals for everything else.

Hopefully the operations and other treatments will start again soon. X"

Yes now wouldn’t that be a perfect idea if they can just make it happen xx

The governments first policy of herd immunity hasn't changed they only added the partial lockdown at a later date because they realised the NHS would be overrun.

We aren't locked down, 18 million workers still leave the house everyday for work, millions of others still go shopping and out for exercise. The only group that are on lockdown is the ones classed as extremely vulnerable.

Social distancing is the only thing that the government says we must do.

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS  over a year ago

Huddersfield

We have no handbook or rule book on this, no great experience to call on. We have to judge the situation on a day by day and week by week assessment.

Mistakes will have been made along the way and in hind sight I dare say the government would have done things differently. But we can only work with the here and now.

If the lock down continues then we have to all get behind it and do our best.

The economic future will be rough for sure but life is more important to everybody!

The only crime in this will be if we don't learn from mistakes and we don't prepare for future epidemics, because there will be more in the future.

By *illyjohnyCouple  over a year ago

brighton

Forget all the restriction arguments.

Just give the cancer patients the choice of continuing with their treatment or not, others shouldn't be making choices for them.

Maybe look to treat covid patients in the new hospitals specially set up for just that as seems they are 90% empty and leave the hospitals dealing with other life threatening illnesses and operations for just that, instead of mixing it up, surely this would be the best option, mammoth task to start maybe but isn’t that what we have anyway and at least it will give some control of the virus within hospitals so allowing others to return to or receive much needed treatment. I feel it’s wrong to deprive those that have had treatment stopped because of this, I saw a guy on the news earlier with stage 3 cancer who has his treatment stopped, he’s got a couple of young children so living in fear now where as before he had hope, makes you feel for them.

I know my mum and dad would have been more than pissed off if they cancelled my life saving operation when I was a little toddler and there’s thousands of people living with things like that now.

"Maybe look to treat covid patients in the new hospitals specially set up for just that as seems they are 90% empty and leave the hospitals dealing with other life threatening illnesses and operations for just that, instead of mixing it up, surely this would be the best option, mammoth task to start maybe but isn’t that what we have anyway and at least it will give some control of the virus within hospitals so allowing others to return to or receive much needed treatment. I feel it’s wrong to deprive those that have had treatment stopped because of this, I saw a guy on the news earlier with stage 3 cancer who has his treatment stopped, he’s got a couple of young children so living in fear now where as before he had hope, makes you feel for them.

I know my mum and dad would have been more than pissed off if they cancelled my life saving operation when I was a little toddler and there’s thousands of people living with things like that now."

Nail hit firmly on the head there

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Maybe the government will keep us in lockdown, watch the countries who ease up restrictions and see if they have a second wave.

If they do, then I can't see lockdown being eased, wouldn't want to if other countries are having a second wave and death rates increase.

I'm happy to stay in lockdown for as long as it takes, no good having a job if you're dead.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Forget all the restriction arguments.

Just give the cancer patients the choice of continuing with their treatment or not, others shouldn't be making choices for them. "

this has now all restarted this week. Along with heart issues and limited mental health services

To answer the OP. Do I agree with the restrictions we have... well no. I don't agree with the level we locked down too. I especially will be interested to see the final figures of Sweden vs other countries.. as for me its the final figures. Sweden's arguement (one I agree with) is that you cant lock down without damaging the country and all a more severe lockdown does is move the number of cases over a extended period of time..and had the potential the 2nd and 3rd peaks to be worse than the first. Sweden have however been doing things we havent to if you read all the science stuff.. they have recommended face coverings in public etc which we havent.

But mostly its the fact that for them they have said that while initially they will seem to have the higher rates.. they hope ( and that's all any of us really have) they hope that over the full length of the outbreak that they will be in a good position. Of course it's a gamble. Some think we should have locked down earlier.. others stronger. Some not at all.

No country is going to get it 100% right. There will be things they and the rest of the world could maybe learn from other countries mistakes.

It's okay for us all to sit and read the articles and judge but thankfully we havent got the responsibility of making the decisions that mean life and death to different people.

Lockdown to long and you start to lose to many to indirect deaths and you risk a national mental health crisis ( and it was already suffering ) you also risk crippling the country financially too.

And while I may have my own opinions. From day one I've been helping those less able or fortunate than myself to get through this.... as the only thing I do know for sure is that we are all in this together

By *omplexchiqueTV/TS  over a year ago

Sale

A recent thread straw-polled 80 FS group members on the question “Is CV-19 over hyped, yes or no?” 65% said no with 35% said yes. It will be interesting to pol again in 4 weeks time ....

"Forget all the restriction arguments.

Just give the cancer patients the choice of continuing with their treatment or not, others shouldn't be making choices for them. this has now all restarted this week. Along with heart issues and limited mental health services

To answer the OP. Do I agree with the restrictions we have... well no. I don't agree with the level we locked down too. I especially will be interested to see the final figures of Sweden vs other countries.. as for me its the final figures. Sweden's arguement (one I agree with) is that you cant lock down without damaging the country and all a more severe lockdown does is move the number of cases over a extended period of time..and had the potential the 2nd and 3rd peaks to be worse than the first. Sweden have however been doing things we havent to if you read all the science stuff.. they have recommended face coverings in public etc which we havent.

But mostly its the fact that for them they have said that while initially they will seem to have the higher rates.. they hope ( and that's all any of us really have) they hope that over the full length of the outbreak that they will be in a good position. Of course it's a gamble. Some think we should have locked down earlier.. others stronger. Some not at all.

No country is going to get it 100% right. There will be things they and the rest of the world could maybe learn from other countries mistakes.

It's okay for us all to sit and read the articles and judge but thankfully we havent got the responsibility of making the decisions that mean life and death to different people.

Lockdown to long and you start to lose to many to indirect deaths and you risk a national mental health crisis ( and it was already suffering ) you also risk crippling the country financially too.

And while I may have my own opinions. From day one I've been helping those less able or fortunate than myself to get through this.... as the only thing I do know for sure is that we are all in this together

"

A balanced, well thought out and written response.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The number of people saying that medical services in their are stopped surprises me.

Locally cancer treatments have continued along with essential operations and mental health services. Most GPs continued to see patients where deemed necessary too, cases being triaged before being given face to face appointments.

It is only non-essential services and medical services that stopped.

I also completely agree with the lockdown/ social distancing and think it needs to continue for the time being.

However, I do think that those struggling should be getting more support.

"The number of people saying that medical services in their are stopped surprises me.

Locally cancer treatments have continued along with essential operations and mental health services. Most GPs continued to see patients where deemed necessary too, cases being triaged before being given face to face appointments.

It is only non-essential services and medical services that stopped.

I also completely agree with the lockdown/ social distancing and think it needs to continue for the time being.

However, I do think that those struggling should be getting more support. "

Sadly not so. People not getting treatment for cancer...vital treatment

By *xycpl699Couple  over a year ago

kilmarnock

Which is what the government and all countries will and have been doing. Except Sweden, it will interesting to see the total excess deaths that happen from 1st Jan 2020 to say may 2021 in every country to see which way was best."

there has been 4 vivid deaths in Malta they acted fast closed there borders and only 4 deaths all elderly. Hollie

By *xycpl699Couple  over a year ago

kilmarnock

Which is what the government and all countries will and have been doing. Except Sweden, it will interesting to see the total excess deaths that happen from 1st Jan 2020 to say may 2021 in every country to see which way was best. there has been 4 vivid deaths in Malta they acted fast closed there borders and only 4 deaths all elderly. Hollie "

ptedictibe text meant covid

» Add a new message to this topic