FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Back to school part 2

Back to school part 2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *exy7 OP   Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Have you heard this gvt telling how sorry they feel for the children from poor families who are missing on education? When are we supposed to laugh?

Since when do the tories care about vulnerable children? Since when do they care about these children whose families have had to use food banks? Since when do they care about schools whose budgets have been slashed for 10 years? Are we talking about the tories under whom schools have lost at least 50% of their teaching assistants who help the most vulnerable students.

Teachers and their unions are perfectly entitled to ensure that this gvt doesn’t spend them back to school in the same way as they sent nurses dealing with Covid patients without the right equipment.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

iam perfectly happy for schools to reopen in england those school can be Eton Harrow Malborough Charterhouse and all the rest of the fee paying elite schools .then we can have a pause of 21 days to check it is safe then the remainder of england's schools can follow the example set .do you think ministers and the express & mail readers would go for it ?

By *penfire2000Couple  over a year ago

hampshire

I am still awake (at 2.25 am) with crippling anxiety about going back to school. I love my job and my students but how is it possible without PPE or social distancing?

I am currently teaching online, going in to do keyworker sessions plus calling students and parents every day... but I'm lazy according to the public. I need to be 'heroic'.

Feeling really down about all of this. Teachers are treated as enemies of the state...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I am still awake (at 2.25 am) with crippling anxiety about going back to school. I love my job and my students but how is it possible without PPE or social distancing?

I am currently teaching online, going in to do keyworker sessions plus calling students and parents every day... but I'm lazy according to the public. I need to be 'heroic'.

Feeling really down about all of this. Teachers are treated as enemies of the state...

"

It’s a Government tactic! Junior Doctors were branded left wing radicals only a couple of years ago!

I would guess it will be safe to open the schools when Scotland do it!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"iam perfectly happy for schools to reopen in england those school can be Eton Harrow Malborough Charterhouse and all the rest of the fee paying elite schools .then we can have a pause of 21 days to check it is safe then the remainder of england's schools can follow the example set .do you think ministers and the express & mail readers would go for it ?"

What about those schools reopening with an additional intake of pupils from deprived areas alongside the others?

By *pril86Woman  over a year ago

chester

"I am still awake (at 2.25 am) with crippling anxiety about going back to school. I love my job and my students but how is it possible without PPE or social distancing?

"

I’m the same it’s making me ill. I’m determined not to send my 4 back I’m just not risking it but I have to “pull my weight” and go to school and cater for the children learning at home I’m exhausted. And do I mention we still have to write reports!

Bristol

Just been listening to Michael Gove about schools reopening.

Why aren't journalists asking the gvt the most obvious of questions:

If schools are as safe as you say they are, will you force parents to send their children back and fine them if they don't?

I can't see why teachers should be forced to go to school and not children.

To use a tory favourite sentence, we are all in it together.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

It's very easy to demand heroism from other people

Bristol

All these toffs should start by going back to work and sit in Parliament before they even dare asking anybody else to get back to work.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"iam perfectly happy for schools to reopen in england those school can be Eton Harrow Malborough Charterhouse and all the rest of the fee paying elite schools .then we can have a pause of 21 days to check it is safe then the remainder of england's schools can follow the example set .do you think ministers and the express & mail readers would go for it ?"

Sounds like a plan

By *lackCherry...Woman  over a year ago

North East

"All these toffs should start by going back to work and sit in Parliament before they even dare asking anybody else to get back to work."

Yes, this ^^ If its safe then put your money where your mouth is and show us you're willing to go back first!

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"All these toffs should start by going back to work and sit in Parliament before they even dare asking anybody else to get back to work.

Yes, this ^^ If its safe then put your money where your mouth is and show us you're willing to go back first! "

I’m sure I have seen MPs back at work sitting in the Commons.

Does that satisfy your condition?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

This..

Lead by example perhaps..

What they have planned is equivalent to the first day of the Somme offensive..

in Lancashire

"

Your not lazy, ignore the right wing and their media..

Well done for what you've been doing..

here

"iam perfectly happy for schools to reopen in england those school can be Eton Harrow Malborough Charterhouse and all the rest of the fee paying elite schools .then we can have a pause of 21 days to check it is safe then the remainder of england's schools can follow the example set .do you think ministers and the express & mail readers would go for it ?

This..

What they have planned is equivalent to the first day of the Somme offensive.. "

What is being asked of the teachers has absolutely no similarity to that facing the soldiers on the first day of the Somme offensive.

If you really think this then the unions are doing a tremendous job in painting a false picture.

in Lancashire

"iam perfectly happy for schools to reopen in england those school can be Eton Harrow Malborough Charterhouse and all the rest of the fee paying elite schools .then we can have a pause of 21 days to check it is safe then the remainder of england's schools can follow the example set .do you think ministers and the express & mail readers would go for it ?

This..

What is being asked of the teachers has absolutely no similarity to that facing the soldiers on the first day of the Somme offensive.

If you really think this then the unions are doing a tremendous job in painting a false picture.

"

I really think that talking to one sister, currently shielded and two nieces who are in school is far preferable to the actual issues they face..

Possibly the wrong reference and no offence intended..

Perhaps instead of listening to the union or the government people should speak to teachers/teaching assistants in their local area to get the facts from the shop floor..

here

This..

I really think that talking to one sister, currently shielded and two nieces who are in school is far preferable to the actual issues they face..

Perhaps instead of listening to the union or the government people should speak to teachers/teaching assistants in their local area to get the facts from the shop floor.. "

There is no doubting the horror of the covid19 virus - you only have to watch the excellent BBC2 2 part programme Hospital to get some insight into the raw reality of the virus and what it can do.

Nobody is denying the anxiety being expressed by the teaching profession, but the argument being presented by the union, with the help of their friends the BMA is not representative of what is being asked of the teachers and the level of risk.

I can not understand why facts and logical reason are being cast aside so easily in favour of an emotional fear based response.

There was no offence taken in your Somme analogy - I just thought it was far too ott

in Lancashire

This..

Perhaps instead of listening to the union or the government people should speak to teachers/teaching assistants in their local area to get the facts from the shop floor..

There is no doubting the horror of the covid19 virus - you only have to watch the excellent BBC2 2 part programme Hospital to get some insight into the raw reality of the virus and what it can do.

Nobody is denying the anxiety being expressed by the teaching profession, but the argument being presented by the union, with the help of their friends the BMA is not representative of what is being asked of the teachers and the level of risk.

I can not understand why facts and logical reason are being cast aside so easily in favour of an emotional fear based response.

There was no offence taken in your Somme analogy - I just thought it was far too ott

"

The majority of teachers are watching intently how the government has and is dealing with the NHS and care staff in relation to ppe, they are naturally suspicious of this government given not just that but how they have been treated over the past ten years..

That may to some have no relevance but its their nonetheless..

Interesting on news night last week about the number of doctors having to attend meetings with senior managers as to their talking about the issues faced regarding ppe..

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

"I can not understand why facts and logical reason are being cast aside so easily in favour of an emotional fear based response."

Why not? It's worked for the last few years...

liverpool

Teachers,doctors,bma on one side..the gmnt on The other.

It's a tricky one .

here

This..

The majority of teachers are watching intently how the government has and is dealing with the NHS and care staff in relation to ppe, they are naturally suspicious of this government given not just that but how they have been treated over the past ten years..

That may to some have no relevance but its their nonetheless..

Interesting on news night last week about the number of doctors having to attend meetings with senior managers as to their talking about the issues faced regarding ppe..

"

After the newsnight piece on ppe/doctors, nhsproviders were very quick to release a statement on behalf of all the nhs trusts to refute the findings of the programme.

Classrooms are not hospitals. If the advice and strategy being suggested for schools was not proportionate then of course there is a need for questioning .

I believe the position of the unions instruction is based on the fear and emotion, and not on the facts of the situation.

liverpool

Gove guarantees they will be safe but minutes later says there is a risk.

The public gets etc.

"Just been listening to Michael Gove about schools reopening.

If schools are as safe as you say they are, will you force parents to send their children back and fine them if they don't?

To use a tory favourite sentence, we are all in it together. "

The Government have said that parents won't be fined if they refuse to send children back to school...if the Government are confident it's safe, why lift the spectre of fines?

"All these toffs should start by going back to work and sit in Parliament before they even dare asking anybody else to get back to work.

Yes, this ^^ If its safe then put your money where your mouth is and show us you're willing to go back first!

Does that satisfy your condition?"

They are at work but they are sitting at least 2m apart. Schools can't do that. When MPs return to parliament in their droves then it might be safe for schools to reopen.

here

They are at work but they are sitting at least 2m apart. Schools can't do that. When MPs return to parliament in their droves then it might be safe for schools to reopen."

Schools are not being asked to return without adjusting the school environment.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

The Government have said that parents won't be fined if they refuse to send children back to school...if the Government are confident it's safe, why lift the spectre of fines?"

Why force parents to send their kids to school if they are not happy to, if parents want to keep them at home let them do so, that's why fines are lifted

By *arkb73Man  over a year ago

Cheshire/Staffs

"Gove guarantees they will be safe but minutes later says there is a risk.

The public gets etc."

I’m the last to defend Gove, but what he actually said was you cannot eradicate risk. And he is correct in saying that.

liverpool

"Gove guarantees they will be safe but minutes later says there is a risk.

The public gets etc.

I’m the last to defend Gove, but what he actually said was you cannot eradicate risk. And he is correct in saying that. "

But he started off by saying they will be safe?

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

The Government have said that parents won't be fined if they refuse to send children back to school...if the Government are confident it's safe, why lift the spectre of fines?

Why force parents to send their kids to school if they are not happy to, if parents want to keep them at home let them do so, that's why fines are lifted"

Apart from If you’re a parent who happens to be a teacher then employers are not required to keep you safe or be flexible

South

They are at work but they are sitting at least 2m apart. Schools can't do that. When MPs return to parliament in their droves then it might be safe for schools to reopen.

Schools are not being asked to return without adjusting the school environment."

And you have seen that environment? Mental health child crisis if I’ve seen one

South

"

I’m with you my lovely you are not alone pm me if you need guidance/ support or advice through this xxxx

South

"Have you heard this gvt telling how sorry they feel for the children from poor families who are missing on education? When are we supposed to laugh?

Since when do the tories care about vulnerable children? Since when do they care about these children whose families have had to use food banks? Since when do they care about schools whose budgets have been slashed for 10 years? Are we talking about the tories under whom schools have lost at least 50% of their teaching assistants who help the most vulnerable students.

Teachers and their unions are perfectly entitled to ensure that this gvt doesn’t spend them back to school in the same way as they sent nurses dealing with Covid patients without the right equipment.

"

Why not open to disadvantaged and poor students first then - ahhhhh because those parents won’t be working so won’t put money in Tory pockets

here

And you have seen that environment? Mental health child crisis if I’ve seen one "

We are already in that ball park, and the longer children are not in the classroom, the problem will be getting harder to deal with.

South

We are already in that ball park, and the longer children are not in the classroom, the problem will be getting harder to deal with."

You didn’t answer my question - have you seen what the classes will look like on June 1st? And what they looked like before for those 5 year olds?

It’s a Government tactic! Junior Doctors were branded left wing radicals only a couple of years ago!

"

Why when Scotland do it?

South

Why when Scotland do it?"

Because their leader appears to give more or a fuck about people dying than money

here

We are already in that ball park, and the longer children are not in the classroom, the problem will be getting harder to deal with.

You didn’t answer my question - have you seen what the classes will look like on June 1st? And what they looked like before for those 5 year olds? "

What are schools currently doing to help the five year olds who are asking why they haven’t seen any of their class mates for 2 months (and may not do so for another 4)?

I sense you are reverting to your previous line of questioning which was broadly based on “are you a teacher, because if you’re not, then you know nothing.”

You already know my response to that .

Why when Scotland do it?

Because their leader appears to give more or a fuck about people dying than money "

We think so too.

I wonder if Britain would benefit if she was Prime minister.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

when the Tories are back in their seats in parliament AND posh schools take back their kids to full time learning .ONLY then should anyone else consider risking their families health by allowing their kids to return to school.. only then ..

South

You didn’t answer my question - have you seen what the classes will look like on June 1st? And what they looked like before for those 5 year olds?

What are schools currently doing to help the five year olds who are asking why they haven’t seen any of their class mates for 2 months (and may not do so for another 4)?

I sense you are reverting to your previous line of questioning which was broadly based on “are you a teacher, because if you’re not, then you know nothing.”

"

You still haven’t answered my question which tells me you are making judgements based on how classes ‘used’ to look for these children. Have a look at early learning goals and then come back to me and I’m more than happy to show you in detail how these children are currently being supported.

South

"when the Tories are back in their seats in parliament AND posh schools take back their kids to full time learning .ONLY then should anyone else consider risking their families health by allowing their kids to return to school.. only then .. "

Absolutely and each child will get 12 days of ‘school’ before the summer holidays of June 1st ahead and remaining years If opened end of June will get 8 days .... what’s the point

There isn’t a chance in hell we will be sending ours back...fuck the Govt. and their weak bs!

South

There isn’t a chance in hell we will be sending ours back...fuck the Govt. and their weak bs!"

here

You still haven’t answered my question which tells me you are making judgements based on how classes ‘used’ to look for these children. Have a look at early learning goals and then come back to me and I’m more than happy to show you in detail how these children are currently being supported. "

Is there evidence to show that 5 year olds returning to a familiar environment that has been adjusted will have any more of a detrimental mental effect on a 5 year old than they are currently.being subjected to?

I also note that the head teachers' union has backed plans for schools to reopen on June 1

The Association of School and College Leaders claim teachers were no more at risk than any other profession heading back to work.

At last some constructive ”can do” attitude.

Fear is a powerful controller of people. Not just those under control but also of those in control. It makes normal rational people irrational.

One thing I have seen time and time again especially on the forums in here are people complain about the government not doing this or not doing that. Most times there have been good arguments from both sides and these are all always based upon what one side knows.

What really surprises me is the number of times people just want to be told exactly what to do, but only if they agree with it.

I'll say this if you look back closely our government hasn't been as doctorial as many other countries. They have given choice to people, but then when people don't really follow, then they have turned the screws. Of course many will argue otherwise, but look again. Even on this matter of schooling, they are not forcing anyone to send them, nor will they fine people for not sending them either, again a choice. I'm sure this will be the case for some time, but there will be a time when it will revert back to insisting you send them.

You still haven’t answered my question which tells me you are making judgements based on how classes ‘used’ to look for these children. Have a look at early learning goals and then come back to me and I’m more than happy to show you in detail how these children are currently being supported.

Is there evidence to show that 5 year olds returning to a familiar environment that has been adjusted will have any more of a detrimental mental effect on a 5 year old than they are currently.being subjected to?

I also note that the head teachers' union has backed plans for schools to reopen on June 1

The Association of School and College Leaders claim teachers were no more at risk than any other profession heading back to work.

"

Children are the most adaptable to environmental changes. More changes happen to a person up to their late teens than any other time of their life.

South

At last some constructive ”can do” attitude."

Oh I can absolutely guarantee you that head teachers union haven’t

‘Adjusted’ isn’t the term I’d use and no that’s exactly the point and you have a dim view of parents in your tone when you say currently being subjected to. They’re at home ....... as they were for most of their lives up until September. For those at risk they need to have support from social services.

Yes the same risk with PPE and social distancing ........ and they cannot have confidence in any data that has studied that as schools have been closed.

South

"

NAHT offices response - a watered down public reaction of the real one

2. NAHT’s response

Despite the conditionality of these proposals, NAHT immediately expressed very significant concerns about the government’s plan, which we outlined in an email to members.

NAHT has told the government clearly and directly that these proposals, as they currently stand, are likely to prove impractical and unworkable in most schools. NAHT members confirmed this was the case in a snap-poll carried out on the evening of 11 May (70% said they did not think it would be feasible to welcome back pupils in years R, 1 and 6 from 1 June and 97% said they did not think it would be feasible to welcome back all primary aged pupils for a month before the end of the academic year).

Lewisham

Jenny Harries: "One child won't want to eat the lunch of another"

Discuss

South

"Jenny Harries: "One child won't want to eat the lunch of another"

Discuss"

Wait till she realises they lick windows and swap pants too - an illustration of how utterly unqualified these people are to be making these decisions without professional input.

in Lancashire

Discuss"

It's frightening that someone so lacking in common sense is in her position..

in Lancashire

Discuss

Wait till she realises they lick windows and swap pants too - an illustration of how utterly unqualified these people are to be making these decisions without professional input. "

Can't wait till they have priti patel telling the nation that young children are more than capable of going to the loo on their own, are never sick and hardly ever fall over..

Lewisham

At the start of all this Jenny Harries was the calm, assured voice of reason. Now she's got Stockholm Syndrome.

South

Discuss

Wait till she realises they lick windows and swap pants too - an illustration of how utterly unqualified these people are to be making these decisions without professional input.

Can't wait till they have priti patel telling the nation that young children are more than capable of going to the loo on their own, are never sick and hardly ever fall over.. "

If it wasn’t so heartbreaking and tragic it would be funny.

here

2. NAHT’s response

Despite the conditionality of these proposals, NAHT immediately expressed very significant concerns about the government’s plan, which we outlined in an email to members.

NAHT has told the government clearly and directly that these proposals, as they currently stand, are likely to prove impractical and unworkable in most schools. NAHT members confirmed this was the case in a snap-poll carried out on the evening of 11 May (70% said they did not think it would be feasible to welcome back pupils in years R, 1 and 6 from 1 June and 97% said they did not think it would be feasible to welcome back all primary aged pupils for a month before the end of the academic year)."

.... which is the NAHT line

the ASCL have backed the 1june return

South

2. NAHT’s response

NAHT has told the government clearly and directly that these proposals, as they currently stand, are likely to prove impractical and unworkable in most schools. NAHT members confirmed this was the case in a snap-poll carried out on the evening of 11 May (70% said they did not think it would be feasible to welcome back pupils in years R, 1 and 6 from 1 June and 97% said they did not think it would be feasible to welcome back all primary aged pupils for a month before the end of the academic year).

"

. Please show me the statement of support .....

South

2. NAHT’s response

"

https://www.ascl.org.uk/News/Our-news-and-press-releases/ASCL-position-on-reopening-of-schools This is hardly support it is saying they support planning of it to be reviewed on 28th May ????? Not the same thing at all.

here

https://www.ascl.org.uk/News/Our-news-and-press-releases/ASCL-position-on-reopening-of-schools

“We were reassured by the feedback we received from government scientific advisers on Friday, and we continue to support our members in preparing for the reopening of schools from June 1.”

South

"https://www.ascl.org.uk/News/Our-news-and-press-releases/ASCL-position-on-reopening-of-schools

“We were reassured by the feedback we received from government scientific advisers on Friday, and we continue to support our members in preparing for the reopening of schools from June 1.”"

Yes and carry on reading .....

Are you going to be working in that environment? Why are you so happy to risk kids and staff for 12 days of school?

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

When will teachers decide it's ok to go back ? September, next year, two years ? A vaccine is not coming anytime soon

South

"When will teachers decide it's ok to go back ? September, next year, two years ? A vaccine is not coming anytime soon"

Not when there are thousands of new cases a day and hundreds of daily deaths ...

South

"When will teachers decide it's ok to go back ? September, next year, two years ? A vaccine is not coming anytime soon"

When parliament is in session. When Scotland return, when Kids can get a haircut .....

By *0outof10coupleCouple  over a year ago

bath

"Fear is a powerful controller of people. Not just those under control but also of those in control. It makes normal rational people irrational.

One thing I have seen time and time again especially on the forums in here are people complain about the government not doing this or not doing that. Most times there have been good arguments from both sides and these are all always based upon what one side knows.

What really surprises me is the number of times people just want to be told exactly what to do, but only if they agree with it.

I'll say this if you look back closely our government hasn't been as doctorial as many other countries. They have given choice to people, but then when people don't really follow, then they have turned the screws. Of course many will argue otherwise, but look again. Even on this matter of schooling, they are not forcing anyone to send them, nor will they fine people for not sending them either, again a choice. I'm sure this will be the case for some time, but there will be a time when it will revert back to insisting you send them."

At last something sensible written on these forums.

Totally right about fear, and that is the ruling force right now...

South

"Fear is a powerful controller of people. Not just those under control but also of those in control. It makes normal rational people irrational.

I'll say this if you look back closely our government hasn't been as doctorial as many other countries. They have given choice to people, but then when people don't really follow, then they have turned the screws. Of course many will argue otherwise, but look again. Even on this matter of schooling, they are not forcing anyone to send them, nor will they fine people for not sending them either, again a choice. I'm sure this will be the case for some time, but there will be a time when it will revert back to insisting you send them.

"

We have the highest death rate in the world bar the US. The reason why we are being led this way is because we have a weak leader who gives a choice that only the wealthy can follow. Those that can work from home do- middle class/ higher earners etc. If you can’t then don’t - working class less well off can’t afford not to work. Same with the kids those kids of affluent parents will not be sent in the poor kids who’s parents cannot afford not to work will have to. It’s a government that favours the affluent there is no other explanation. The weak and frail are being written off.

barnstaple

"When will teachers decide it's ok to go back ? September, next year, two years ? A vaccine is not coming anytime soon

Not when there are thousands of new cases a day and hundreds of daily deaths ... "

So...when would it be acceptable ?

South

"When will teachers decide it's ok to go back ? September, next year, two years ? A vaccine is not coming anytime soon

Not when there are thousands of new cases a day and hundreds of daily deaths ...

So...when would it be acceptable ?"

See my next post ....

South

So...when would it be acceptable ?"

Oh and not when our rolling weekly death rate has increased this week.

South

I’m done here - if you think teaching staff and the kids in their care are disposable Then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I pray you’re right and I’m wrong ....

barnstaple

"I’m done here - if you think teaching staff and the kids in their care are disposable Then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I pray you’re right and I’m wrong .... "

I don't think that at all. I also don't believe you are at increased risk to anyone else at work unless, you have long term illnesses. Anxiety levels are high in all walks of life. People have to move forward slowly.

"

We have the highest death rate in the world bar the US. "

Misrepresentation of stats Has been one of the biggest problems we have. Both being told what they want us to believe and also seeing what we want to believe.

What does your statement imply? That it's the unsafest place to be?

It would be good to show the % death rate in relation to both gross population and % covid genuine covid patients.

If you look at worldometers.info which changes every single day, a few days ago this was the list of highest death/infection against population.

The US was 13th behind, San Marino, Andorra, Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Sint Maarten, Sweden, Netherlands, Ireland, Ilse of man.

The point is total deaths is a least misleading to illustrate that the said government is handling it wrong.

By *etasubTV/TS  over a year ago

West of Newcastle

We have the highest death rate in the world bar the US. The reason why we are being led this way is because we have a weak leader who gives a choice that only the wealthy can follow. Those that can work from home do- middle class/ higher earners etc. If you can’t then don’t - working class less well off can’t afford not to work. Same with the kids those kids of affluent parents will not be sent in the poor kids who’s parents cannot afford not to work will have to. It’s a government that favours the affluent there is no other explanation. The weak and frail are being written off. "

USA might have the highest number of deaths but its rate is about half ours per million. We definitely aren't doing well we (UK)are fourth. Belgium has approx 50% more than us

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/.

I would be a lot thinner if shop workers had taken the same attitude of it is to dangerous to work, as it appears to have been taken by some teachers.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

We have the highest death rate in the world bar the US. The reason why we are being led this way is because we have a weak leader who gives a choice that only the wealthy can follow. Those that can work from home do- middle class/ higher earners etc. If you can’t then don’t - working class less well off can’t afford not to work. Same with the kids those kids of affluent parents will not be sent in the poor kids who’s parents cannot afford not to work will have to. It’s a government that favours the affluent there is no other explanation. The weak and frail are being written off.

USA might have the highest number of deaths but its rate is about half ours per million. We definitely aren't doing well we (UK)are fourth. Belgium has approx 50% more than us

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/.

I would be a lot thinner if shop workers had taken the same attitude of it is to dangerous to work, as it appears to have been taken by some teachers."

It was unsafe for some of those shop workers to work. They had no protection initially and that cannot be right.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

I would be a lot thinner if shop workers had taken the same attitude of it is to dangerous to work, as it appears to have been taken by some teachers."

The two metre distance rule is in supermarkets

I'll say this if you look back closely our government hasn't been as doctorial as many other countries. They have given choice to people, but then when people don't really follow, then they have turned the screws. Of course many will argue otherwise, but look again. Even on this matter of schooling, they are not forcing anyone to send them, nor will they fine people for not sending them either, again a choice. I'm sure this will be the case for some time, but there will be a time when it will revert back to insisting you send them."

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

"

There is going to be a Dad on GMTV tomorrow, he will be talking about his 5 year old daughter who ended up on life support and now has heart problems after contracting a mild form of covid , at first

She was fit & healthy until a mild bout of Covid19 5wks ago from which she appeared to recover.

She is now in ICU with a Kawasaki inflammatory response.

She is off the ventilator but has developed heart problems.1

I work both with schools and families and there is a lot of concern on both sides. I think part of the problem is the numbers going back at the same time, the year groups involved and the lack of PPE.

Schools have been open all the way through to provide care for the vulnerable and keyworkers children and now they want you to add into the mix R, 1, 6 and then those primaries also have to take nursery children as well - not that they were mentioned initially, then that’s in excess of 200 in schools around here. Plus keyworker children are increasing daily because parents are returning to work, additional pressure for schools. You are adding new people into the mix all the time. No protective bubbles there.

How can 200+ move around a school without contact? A primary school particularly would struggle with that. They don’t physically have the space for 15 per class or the staff to cover it.

The thing is, it doesn’t feel phased. I don’t have primary school age children but if I did they would not be going back when so many are going at the same time. It needs to be slow and gradual. They are rushing it so everyone is back before we hit July. There is no logical basis for it.

You can’t mix in large groups - unless you’re in a school.

You have to distance yourselves at 2m - unless you’re in school.

You can carry out up close and personal work and intimate care without PPE with the youngest groups of children.

Either the rules are there or they’re not. If schools don’t need the same rules as others then show them the science. Don’t just throw people into situations involving so many when you don’t know what the results will be.

"

There is going to be a Dad on GMTV tomorrow, he will be talking about his 5 year old daughter who ended up on life support and now has heart problems after contracting a mild form of covid , at first

She was fit & healthy until a mild bout of Covid19 5wks ago from which she appeared to recover.

She is off the ventilator but has developed heart problems.1"

. Mine won’t be going back till at least September, then we’ll review the situation then. As difficult as it is being at home all the time I’m not happy sending her back just yet.

in Lancashire

"

She is off the ventilator but has developed heart problems.1"

It's terrible..

And no parent anywhere should have to go through that..

But it seems there are some for whom such tragedy is of little consequence..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It isn't the first child either, there are more here and 107 I think it said in New York, so maybe more around the world

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"It isn't the first child either, there are more here and 107 I think it said in New York, so maybe more around the world"

Over hundred here with two dead

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/may/17/possible-breakthrough-in-coronavirus-related-syndrome-in-children

in Lancashire

"It isn't the first child either, there are more here and 107 I think it said in New York, so maybe more around the world"

There was an article in the Washington Post last week talking about a rise in deaths of children with how the virus has affected them, the experts are dealing with something new and its stretching them..

here

"It isn't the first child either, there are more here and 107 I think it said in New York, so maybe more around the world

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/may/17/possible-breakthrough-in-coronavirus-related-syndrome-in-children"

Is there any indication that this science has been omitted from the discussions?

in Lancashire

The telegraph is reporting that many of the children with the kawasaki symptoms have shown not positive for covid when tested..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"It isn't the first child either, there are more here and 107 I think it said in New York, so maybe more around the world

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/may/17/possible-breakthrough-in-coronavirus-related-syndrome-in-children

Is there any indication that this science has been omitted from the discussions?"

I think it said that the Teachers union have not seen the science but have asked to see it so they have all the information so I am guessing they won't know yet if it is missing or not

By *r8t_WhiteMan  over a year ago

Torquay

"

I’m the same it’s making me ill. I’m determined not to send my 4 back I’m just not risking it but I have to “pull my weight” and go to school and cater for the children learning at home I’m exhausted. And do I mention we still have to write reports! "

OMG you have to do work you're paid for? Bastards! Hahaha.

Torquay

"

It's terrible..

But it seems there are some for whom such tragedy is of little consequence.. "

Of course the death of a child is a tragedy.

But you must keep a prospective.

Death rate of children is miniscule.

But please what is the alternative?

Please don't say stay home until there is a vaccine.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"I believe the position of the unions instruction is based on the fear and emotion, and not on the facts of the situation."

The teaching unions' position is backed up by the BMA, all of whom are doctors, who tend to deal in blunt facts, avoid emotional decisions and do not promote fear.

In addition, they have all taken the Hippocratic Oath, part of which is "First, do no harm", something like that?

What you believe is of no relevance in this situation. Unfortunately, Gavin Williamson and Michael Gove seem to agree with you.

That's shit company to be in.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"

Not only teachers, people on furlough. Apparently we're all taking the piss on an extended leave of absence, a drain on the hard working people who are not having a jolly at their expense.

With that viewpoint and in the race to the bottom they don't realise most on furlough wont have a job to go back to...but never mind they'll soon start to moan when these people sign up for government assistance.

By *on12xxMan  over a year ago

leeds

Thing not being discussed if parents vulnerable

Where does, child live

Grand parents at risk picking kids up from school

Okay child doesn't get ill but OK to make family ill

Everyone I know will not be sending kids back to school until September at earliest

I gave Boris support as difficult time but not now this is pathetic and r rate going up.

Goalposts moved that much nearly In Australia

New Zealand got it right why didn't we

My friends and family kids will nit retyrn to September EARLIEST

By *irth VaderMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I’ll send my daughter back to school once Parliament is back to full function. If it’s unsafe for those cunts then it’s unsafe for my daughter.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Class sizes reduced but teaching staff will be spread too thin covering all those extra classes. Half the kids will be kept off by their parents so no proper teaching will get done anyway as you'll have to teach it all again when the rest get back.

The government arguing the schools need to go back for safeguarding or to make sure deprived kids get meals or for vital education (which I've explained won't happen) when what they really want is childcare so people get back to work and off furlough.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"Class sizes reduced but teaching staff will be spread too thin covering all those extra classes. Half the kids will be kept off by their parents so no proper teaching will get done anyway as you'll have to teach it all again when the rest get back.

The government arguing the schools need to go back for safeguarding or to make sure deprived kids get meals or for vital education (which I've explained won't happen) when what they really want is childcare so people get back to work and off furlough.

"

Oh and I forgot to say, it's not November, the summer holiday is weeks away so what's the point in sending them back this side of the holiday when they'll be off school anyway.

leeds

To parent nothing is worth putting child at risk and yes I woukd wait for vaccine.

Have you ever been to a child's funeral worst thing in the world

No mum will risk their child schools will be empty

Or is it money first again what a selfish country we live in now

leeds

I agree if parliament shut then schools should be shut

I thought mos were pathetic about brexit and couldn't get any lower

Unfortunately they can.

Health should be priority

Did u see Belgium nurses snub prime minster same wil happen here.

We should all turn backs on government in support of NHS with no ppe

leeds

Take a moment and reflect

A child's funeral who did not need to die

Is that price worth paying?

leeds

I agree sno playing politics but so boris

This should be above politics

If I could emigrate to new Zealand or australia I would

UK ruined by selfish people who only care, about money

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

I don't see the point of sending them back to school now or anytime before September. September would be the better option.

the future's so bright

By *rettyGreenWoman  over a year ago

watton

Im a keyworker. Frontline worker, whatever you want to call me. I am working with covid positive patients. I have not sent my son to school even though i am able. If i give covid to my son, thats on me, if my son then took it to school and gave it to other children, teachers, parents. Thats 100s of people infected because i sent my son to school. Until this is over, my son will not be at school. At least until i am no longer caring for positive patients.

Teachers work hard. Just because they are working from home, or online, or with only keyworkers children, doesnt mean they're not as vulnerable or as scared as the rest of us.

leeds

"Im a keyworker. Frontline worker, whatever you want to call me. I am working with covid positive patients. I have not sent my son to school even though i am able. If i give covid to my son, thats on me, if my son then took it to school and gave it to other children, teachers, parents. Thats 100s of people infected because i sent my son to school. Until this is over, my son will not be at school. At least until i am no longer caring for positive patients.

Teachers work hard. Just because they are working from home, or online, or with only keyworkers children, doesnt mean they're not as vulnerable or as scared as the rest of us. "

You are good person. Keep safe

leeds

September safest option

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"back to school working in holland

wake up,its the unions trying to get at boris and co,and wales and snp trying to do their own thing,its now about politics

they dont care,look how welsh labour are making a mess of the virus,they stopped sending tests to a lab,which give a result the next day,instead sent it to another one miles away and 2 days wait

WHY,because the first was in england

THATS THE LEFT MENTALITY"

Do you know how unions work? Let me give you a quick guide.

Working members of an industry, people from all walks of life, ages, religions etc PAY people to look out for their interests with employers.

The union bosses have NO power, they are the talking heads of their membership, tasked via their national executive committee to put their demands to the employer. The union general secretary may advise and recommend but has ZERO clout.

When you see a general secretary talking, they are relaying what the members are paying them to say.

Torquay

"To parent nothing is worth putting child at risk and yes I woukd wait for vaccine.

Have you ever been to a child's funeral worst thing in the world

No mum will risk their child schools will be empty

Or is it money first again what a selfish country we live in now "

Very unlikely that a child will die.

If you are a vulnerable parent, don't send them.

If there are vulnerable grandparents, I'd suggest they don't see them.

Lots of bitching and moaning in this thread but very little problem solving.

Sooooo. As a vaccine is 50/50 within a year at best...... What is the alternative?

in Lancashire

"

It's terrible..

Please don't say stay home until there is a vaccine. "

Tbh any further deaths of children are simply not worth risking by rushing back for a couple of weeks..

Maybe stop the schools now and bring forward the new September term earlier?

Get proper safeguards in place, check they work OK..

I haven't thus far with volunteering etc..

A child's death is never miniscule for those involved, it's immense and if we can by proper thought out procedures then we should..

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

If I had a choice between sending a young child back to school or having them injected with an experimental vaccine for a virus they might not catch and even if they did there's a miniscule chance of developing serious symptoms I know what I would choose.

And a few months or possibly a year might not make much difference to the risk other than every year makes them more susceptible.

Each to their own tho

Torquay

"

A child's death is never miniscule for those involved, it's immense and if we can by proper thought out procedures then we should.. "

Kicking the issue into the long grass is definitely appealing.

We really need to stop worrying about child deaths, more will die from tree climbing and beach swimming or playing football than will ever die from this virus.

I think a huge part of this problem, was this government rushing into the very generous furlough scheme.

More generous and far reaching than any other country, this was done because of their fear of being called the nasty party.

But have now made a rod for their own backs.

And totally bankrupting the country.

All these kids losing their education are going to be paying for it for the rest of their lives.

here

"

It's terrible..

Tbh any further deaths of children are simply not worth risking by rushing back for a couple of weeks..

A child's death is never miniscule for those involved, it's immense and if we can by proper thought out procedures then we should.. "

I agree .

What we cant do though is allow fear to overcome us to the point where we can't look a situation and make choices that will benefit us more than not doing it.

With covid 19 there have been 10 deaths in the age group up to the age of 19.

Deaths from all causes for the same age group this year has been 568.

I worry that by not getting children back into the classrooms, even if it is for a short period of time before breaking for the summer holiday, there are much higher risks for children than those presented in a modified school environment.

"

It's terrible..

A child's death is never miniscule for those involved, it's immense and if we can by proper thought out procedures then we should..

I agree .

What we cant do though is allow fear to overcome us to the point where we can't look a situation and make choices that will benefit us more than not doing it.

With covid 19 there have been 10 deaths in the age group up to the age of 19.

Deaths from all causes for the same age group this year has been 568.

I worry that by not getting children back into the classrooms, even if it is for a short period of time before breaking for the summer holiday, there are much higher risks for children than those presented in a modified school environment.

"

They want to open schools and get vulnerable children back into the classroom. During lockdown schools have been open to these children but the families don’t send them, in fact they were the first families to stop sending their children before closure of schools was announced. That isn’t going to change any time soon. They will still be the group that don’t attend. It will be interesting to see who will check up on them once schools reopen and they don’t attend.

"

It's terrible..

Please don't say stay home until there is a vaccine. "

Children don’t seem to be as affected as you say, but they do not know how much they transmit the virus, what do they shed? The science isn’t there.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Not only teachers, people on furlough. Apparently we're all taking the piss on an extended leave of absence, a drain on the hard working people who are not having a jolly at their expense.

With that viewpoint and in the race to the bottom they don't realise most on furlough wont have a job to go back to...but never mind they'll soon start to moan when these people sign up for government assistance. "

Pitting people against each other, who would have thought it. It was tried with the doctors when they were asking for a better work life

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I agree if parliament shut then schools should be shut

I thought mos were pathetic about brexit and couldn't get any lower

Unfortunately they can.

Health should be priority

Did u see Belgium nurses snub prime minster same wil happen here.

We should all turn backs on government in support of NHS with no ppe

"

If you use reply and quote we will all know who you are answering

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Can I remind people, the politics section is further down the forum list. This section is for the virus not which party said what 10 / 2/ 7 years ago

"

. Mine won’t be going back till at least September, then we’ll review the situation then. As difficult as it is being at home all the time I’m not happy sending her back just yet. "

The sensible approach.

Make an informed choice knowing your circumstances. The government is forcing parents to send them as some would have you believe either. It's saying they are considering it and are in talks about it with the schools and this is a date set as an aim.

Anyone thinking the schools will be at full capacity on day one are being misled or thinking scared. There will be hundreds of thousands of parents who won't send theirs for reasons to themselves. There will those who will do for their own reasons.

This will most likely be the reality and schools if they start then will operate at small capacity and the safety parameters may work well. The challenge will be when and how to slowly accomadate the increase.

Human nature will help in this as many will not send kids at first, but as they see their friends going and the virus effect continues to weaken some others will consider it.

We are only talking weeks before summer holidays start too. Those who don't go aren't going to miss out much and those who do go aren't going to gain much.

The main issue I see is about employment and bring in much needed finances to families who are really struggling and can't work at home. There of 100,000s of them who have fallen between the financial nets the government placed out there and are receiving nothing and most likely won't either for some time even if the government does try to help them.

leeds

What happens with 2nd wave

With schools in winter

Forum Mod

O o O oo

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-france-reports-70-new-covid-19-cases-linked-to-scho/

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-france-reports-70-new-covid-19-cases-linked-to-scho/"

The prime minister in that report did say that it was likely they were infected before the schools were opened due to the incubation of the virus time frame

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Mine dont go to school.. just college and home educated... but.. I see little point in the kids going back to school for a few weeks. After so much disruption.. perhaps they could look at going back earlier. Or changing the school year around a little. I dont know.

here

”The coronavirus' incubation period can be upwards of two weeks, so those 70 people were probably infected before they went back to school, Blanquer said.”

”The reopening of schools in 22 European countries has not led to any significant increase in coronavirus infections among children, parents or staff, a videoconference meeting of education ministers from around the EU has heard.”

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-france-reports-70-new-covid-19-cases-linked-to-scho/

The prime minister in that report did say that it was likely they were infected before the schools were opened due to the incubation of the virus time frame"

We all have to get it somewhere...which can be spread and if spread to children they can take it into school where it will be hard to social distance so will spread it further.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Mine dont go to school.. just college and home educated... but.. I see little point in the kids going back to school for a few weeks. After so much disruption.. perhaps they could look at going back earlier. Or changing the school year around a little. I dont know.

"

I think someone mentioned that further up, it could be a better idea, maybe start School in August when hopefully the track and trace is in place and less cases.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"

”The reopening of schools in 22 European countries has not led to any significant increase in coronavirus infections among children, parents or staff, a videoconference meeting of education ministers from around the EU has heard.”

"

The government are using Denmark's experience of reopening. They have had very little increase in infection rate in the general population after reopening schools. The main difference is they have a maximum class size of 5. In this country they are having class sizes of 15.

here

"

The government are using Denmark's experience of reopening. They have had very little increase in infection rate in the general population after reopening schools. The main difference is they have a maximum class size of 5. In this country they are having class sizes of 15."

I'm sure if the classroom isn't large enough to hold 15 they won't force in 15 because they have to.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I find it odd that people will not open their minds to anything that is being said and just discount it.

No one is sure of anything at the moment and we are certainly not, but I am sure that if you only have room for five children in each class you won't have enough teachers or classrooms to house all pupils unless schools all get extensions

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

Class sizes of 15 means the primary school closest to my home would need 4 classrooms and then 4 teachers + ta's, just for their year 3 kids.

I know for certain they have waiting lists on year 3, 5 & 6 and most year groups have 2 classes. I know year 3 is capped at 30 kids in each class simply because they recently invited us in and we had a tour but declined moving to that school.

Our primary school doesn't have the staff, the classrooms or classrooms big enough to restart with the children of key workers, vulnerable children and key stage 1 and year 6, let alone all the children back.

Add to that the local mayors saying no to schools reopening and some of the council's up here in the North West also saying no to schools restarting and I expect this argument to last a while yet.

If parents are fined for keeping children out; the number of children taken out of the system will shoot up.

I wouldn't make mine go in during the August holidays, even if I was planning on being in the country.

As yet schools are asking parents not to return their children and reassuring them fines will not be issued.

here

"I find it odd that people will not open their minds to anything that is being said and just discount it.

No one is sure of anything at the moment and we are certainly not, but I am sure that if you only have room for five children in each class you won't have enough teachers or classrooms to house all pupils unless schools all get extensions"

I agree with part of this.

However, there are things we do know.

The things we do know don't appear to be given the same level of importance as the feared elements for which there is no evidence.

Bristol

"Mine dont go to school.. just college and home educated... but.. I see little point in the kids going back to school for a few weeks. After so much disruption.. perhaps they could look at going back earlier. Or changing the school year around a little. I dont know.

A lot of people would love to see this happen to piss the teachers off. However, when the same people will also realise they have to send their children instead of having a week or two off somewhere with their children, they won’t like the idea anymore.

The same goes with reopening schools. I’m happy to return providing that all the children do. We’re all in school together as the tories. If schools are safe enough for teachers, they’re safe for all pupils.

I think someone mentioned that further up, it could be a better idea, maybe start School in August when hopefully the track and trace is in place and less cases."

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

It's very easy to demand heroism from other people "

It's always been the way. Poor and working class on the frontline while the privileged stay safe behind closed doors, calling everyone cowards for "not doing their bit."

By *dandmandyCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

I'm in school and have been since lock down started,been in every day,today's job is taping the floor for guide lines where children can sit in a classroom.

Ayr

Why not send children in private schools and academies outwith local government control back first?

Try that out for a month and, if nothing bad happens, send state school children back.

If that's not an acceptable solution, then nor is it the other way round.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Life is full of risks. If the stats by an earlier poster are correct 50 times more children have died this year from other causes than from CV19. Given the nature of this virus it is very possible it is going to remain in our population forever and we are going to have to live with it. Watching a programme last night I heard there is a common cold virus in circulation who’s origins are believed may have been a pandemic in the 1800’s. We are going to have to open up eventually, we may even find sometime down the line that childhood exposure protect children later in their life. We just don’t know.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Why not send children in private schools and academies outwith local government control back first?

Try that out for a month and, if nothing bad happens, send state school children back.

If that's not an acceptable solution, then nor is it the other way round."

Class has nothing to do with this decision!

Ayr

"Why not send children in private schools and academies outwith local government control back first?

Class has nothing to do with this decision!"

Well done you. You got the point. Hopefully, more people will.

liverpool

Class has nothing to do with this decision!"

Course it doesnt.

In the same way that the bulk of the people who have died have come from working class backgrounds.

liverpool

It's very easy to demand heroism from other people

It's always been the way. Poor and working class on the frontline while the privileged stay safe behind closed doors, calling everyone cowards for "not doing their bit.""

liverpool

Eustace says Denmark have reopened schools.

Funny how they compare us to other counties when it suits them.

Denmark have 500 deaths.

What's our total now?

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Course it doesnt.

In the same way that the bulk of the people who have died have come from working class backgrounds."

Have they?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Course it doesnt.

In the same way that the bulk of the people who have died have come from working class backgrounds.

----

Have they?"

I believe it has been implied by the higher percentage (70% iirc) of deaths being from Black & Asian backgrounds.

I've not seen any specific data around the "social class" of financial demographics of those who have died..

Cal

liverpool

Course it doesnt.

Have they?"

Yep

liverpool

Survey from ons..if you are in a lower paid job you are more likely to die.

There was a piece in the guardian on 11th of march.

chelmsford

Course it doesnt.

----

Have they?

I believe it has been implied by the higher percentage (70% iirc) of deaths being from Black & Asian backgrounds.

I've not seen any specific data around the "social class" of financial demographics of those who have died..

Cal"

Me neither

chelmsford

"Survey from ons..if you are in a lower paid job you are more likely to die.

There was a piece in the guardian on 11th of march."

' More likely to die'? I wonder why that is?

liverpool

' More likely to die'? I wonder why that is?"

Higher risk jobs the report stated.

chelmsford

' More likely to die'? I wonder why that is?

Higher risk jobs the report stated."

Ok

Personally I would have asked the teachers unions to put together a plan to get them back to school.

in Lancashire

My sisters school have three staff shielding, two on maternity and one other due to give birth..

They have been setting up classrooms as per the guidance and in three current rooms can get no more than 9 pupils in..

A niece down south in an old Victorian primary has said similar issues exist there too..

The majority of teachers in primary and preschool are women, not sure what the percentage is normally for maternity etc but add on shielding and there is already a drop in numbers before classrooms are safely reconfigured..

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

the unions need to use the french reference reported in the news papers

More than 50 French schools now closed just a week after re-opening as new outbreaks spiral – yet UK media continue to ignore

liverpool

"Personally I would have asked the teachers unions to put together a plan to get them back to school. "

That's not really their job.

There was a piece in the guardian on 11th of march."

Please attach the link. Would be good to read it. Thanks

liverpool

Please attach the link. Would be good to read it. Thanks"

Ok..let me dig it out.

"the unions need to use the french reference reported in the news papers

More than 50 French schools now closed just a week after re-opening as new outbreaks spiral – yet UK media continue to ignore"

Why suggest only using that one and not any others? Im guessing using the Belgium one is Swiss or other ones might lead to a different conclusion than what you're suggesting?

My thought on this and anything else is you don't just use one reference point as evidence without comparisons unless of course it substantiates one's own personal thinking on the matter.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

"Personally I would have asked the teachers unions to put together a plan to get them back to school.

That's not really their job."

Part of a unions job is to work with management.

I've been in a union my entire adult working life and the best outcome of any disbute is when the two have worked together.

liverpool

"Personally I would have asked the teachers unions to put together a plan to get them back to school.

That's not really their job.

Part of a unions job is to work with management.

I've been in a union my entire adult working life and the best outcome of any disbute is when the two have worked together. "

Agreed.

I've referred to this a few times, but many are overlooking an important point.

The government will not force you to send your child to school if you do not feel it's safe for them. They will NOT fine you for choosing not to do it.

You will find there will be a natural selection happening. Those who are concerned that classrooms won't be big enough might consider that maybe only 30% of parents will send their kids to school.

Our schools will not be over crowded. Teachers and those put in the position to manage the rules will not forcing you as a parent to send them either.

So make your choice and be comfortable with it. Just don't be sending Jonny and Freda out to play together with you neighbours kids if you keep them at home.

bradford

there has been a refernce that teachers will be fined for refusing to teach or even the schools

over at politicshome.com

The backlash from councils follows reports that ministers were considering legal action against those who refused to comply with the order, but a Number 10 spokesperson insisted talks would continue in a "consultative way".

"there has been a refernce that teachers will be fined for refusing to teach or even the schools

over at politicshome.com

The backlash from councils follows reports that ministers were considering legal action against those who refused to comply with the order, but a Number 10 spokesperson insisted talks would continue in a "consultative way"."

Fear again causing reactions without reason.

liverpool

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/16/low-paid-workers-bear-brunt-of-coronavirus-recession-study-shows

"https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/16/low-paid-workers-bear-brunt-of-coronavirus-recession-study-shows"

Thank you.

I've read it and not seen your quote that that they say "low paid workers are most likely to die"

They discuss the unemployment issues amongst the lower paid workers is higher than other sectors. This I wouldn't have thought would need much working out.

Their source is actually from a Foundation think tank which was looked into, not lower paid workers, but rather workers aged 18-24 and then the older age group. They rightly acknowledge that most in these age groups tend to be casual, non contract hours and low skilled workers.

Even this source does not say anywhere, they are more likely to die. Rather it's focused of the issues surrounding furloughing/layed off and unemployment due to Covid.

It's easy to blame an establishment, that one may or may not like, rather than what actually causes some of the deaths.

If the government had not placed any interventions, and people continued to work, catch the virus, be off sick, some die, some recover and return to work. Industry recruits new workers to replace those that died, but also struggled under the difficult conditions of numbers off sick. Who would you blame? The government for no intervention and say they were allowing the virus to kill people?

We do need to be very careful with what we are trying to say to others.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/manual-workers-likelier-to-die-from-covid-19-than-professionals

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/manual-workers-likelier-to-die-from-covid-19-than-professionals"

Par for the course...the usual cannon fodder it seems

So the poor and low paid die. In Greece 100,000 of the poorest people in the world are in camps, one tap toilet per 100. If you show signs you are tested 500 positive told to self isolate , impossible opening camps up now to collect the dead. Oh hang on no one died how strange poor people living.

"So the poor and low paid die. In Greece 100,000 of the poorest people in the world are in camps, one tap toilet per 100. If you show signs you are tested 500 positive told to self isolate , impossible opening camps up now to collect the dead. Oh hang on no one died how strange poor people living. "

While I think there is a lot of bad shit happening in other countries...it does not mean we have to put up with it in ours.

"So the poor and low paid die. In Greece 100,000 of the poorest people in the world are in camps, one tap toilet per 100. If you show signs you are tested 500 positive told to self isolate , impossible opening camps up now to collect the dead. Oh hang on no one died how strange poor people living.

While I think there is a lot of bad shit happening in other countries...it does not mean we have to put up with it in ours."

What I'm saying is people are saying people are dying because they are poor not true.

"So the poor and low paid die. In Greece 100,000 of the poorest people in the world are in camps, one tap toilet per 100. If you show signs you are tested 500 positive told to self isolate , impossible opening camps up now to collect the dead. Oh hang on no one died how strange poor people living.

While I think there is a lot of bad shit happening in other countries...it does not mean we have to put up with it in ours.What I'm saying is people are saying people are dying because they are poor not true. "

This

And no different to before the virus.

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/manual-workers-likelier-to-die-from-covid-19-than-professionals"

Same as before Covid. Its more to do with their condition in all aspects than Covid. Always will be and won't ever change. Capitalism has the same stratas irrespective whether we're in the afluent west or poorest darkest wherever. Our materialist society requires it to thrive.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To be fair I didn't ask for an answer, I was just finding the link that was needed.

I have my own views of all this but try not to get into it much as people don't seem to want to look at it objectively.

It is a bit like a football match, there are some fans that will never say anything negative about their own side even if they are shit at what they are doing, they would always defend

Sometimes it is best to look at it all objectively and take away the scarf colour

here

BMA appear to be reevaluating their position on schools teaching kids in the classroom.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opinion/covid-19-statement-on-schools-reopening

liverpool

"So the poor and low paid die. In Greece 100,000 of the poorest people in the world are in camps, one tap toilet per 100. If you show signs you are tested 500 positive told to self isolate , impossible opening camps up now to collect the dead. Oh hang on no one died how strange poor people living. "

Last time I checked we didnt live in greece

liverpool

While I think there is a lot of bad shit happening in other countries...it does not mean we have to put up with it in ours.What I'm saying is people are saying people are dying because they are poor not true. "

No one actually said that.

I said The poor are more likely to die probably for the simple fact that they tend to do jobs which brings them into contact with other people..therefore greater risk.

bradford

Quoted from the canary

People had the perfect response to Tony Blair

Elite schools, meanwhile, are being very quiet on plans to reopen. The private school Blair went to, for example, is not open; and seems to have made no comments on Twitter about reopening. Boris Johnson’s Eton, meanwhile, is not open either; and it also seems to have tweeted zero times about reopening.

As journalist Aaron Bastani points out, the government’s attempt to send children back to school is basically so their parents can return to work too. And it’s not the parents of kids at private schools who drive the economy; it’s the parents who send their kids to state schools.

hampshire

It's good to read how many people are questioning this. I have been in to school this week and they don't socially distance at all. They just don't get it. X

bradford

heres the mirror on teachers who refuse to teach

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/top-tory-refuses-rule-out-22043587

over in the metro

Pupils to stand in hoops on playground in ‘ridiculous’ reopening measures

Parents are in uproar after a primary school said children would have to stay inside a hoop on the playground and clean their own cuts if they fall over when it reopens.

or have a toileting accident they will be encouraged to change themselves and clean their scrape or cut.

hampshire

I teach secondary....

Student refused to socially distance on Monday. Called me a bitch for asking!

Still love them all though!

"I've referred to this a few times, but many are overlooking an important point.

The government will not force you to send your child to school if you do not feel it's safe for them. They will NOT fine you for choosing not to do it.

You will find there will be a natural selection happening. Those who are concerned that classrooms won't be big enough might consider that maybe only 30% of parents will send their kids to school.

Our schools will not be over crowded. Teachers and those put in the position to manage the rules will not forcing you as a parent to send them either.

So make your choice and be comfortable with it. Just don't be sending Jonny and Freda out to play together with you neighbours kids if you keep them at home. "

It’s interesting though that parents can have a choice about whether it’s safe or not for their child to go to school but staff have no choices at all. The science still hasn’t been released so I’m not sure why schools should be the experiment.

hampshire

"I've referred to this a few times, but many are overlooking an important point.

So make your choice and be comfortable with it. Just don't be sending Jonny and Freda out to play together with you neighbours kids if you keep them at home.

It’s interesting though that parents can have a choice about whether it’s safe or not for their child to go to school but staff have no choices at all. The science still hasn’t been released so I’m not sure why schools should be the experiment. "

I'm going in but not sending my year 10 child in.

It’s interesting though that parents can have a choice about whether it’s safe or not for their child to go to school but staff have no choices at all. The science still hasn’t been released so I’m not sure why schools should be the experiment.

I'm going in but not sending my year 10 child in."

I would choose not to send my child in as well.

here

I'm going in but not sending my year 10 child in."

Other students may not be in the fortunate position of having a parent that is the teaching profession.(thats not a criticism of you)

The longer students are out of the classroom the greater the damage .

"My sisters school have three staff shielding, two on maternity and one other due to give birth..

They have been setting up classrooms as per the guidance and in three current rooms can get no more than 9 pupils in..

A niece down south in an old Victorian primary has said similar issues exist there too..

The majority of teachers in primary and preschool are women, not sure what the percentage is normally for maternity etc but add on shielding and there is already a drop in numbers before classrooms are safely reconfigured..

"

i dont think maternity really comes into it because its not a change in the work force since before covid, if we needed extra supply teachers for maternity pre covid then that wont have changed

how many kids are normally in a class? pretty sure not more than 27 these day (or there about)

so if the class takes 9 safely, rotate kids in 3 groups, if these are blocks of at least 2 weeks, then the home school time would be 4 weeks vs 2 weeks class time, meaning the parent could still be eligible for furlough during the home school period (if it is extended)

1/3 teacher time must be better than no teacher time and if kids are split into groups by ability it allows the class time to be more efficient surely as everyone is at the similar level whereas normally they would be teaching a wider range at once

thats one suggestion without even touching additional staff or accommodation

surely both sides (union and govt) should be working on solution ideas then planning them through to test practicality rather than a stand off