0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

private eye have published these stats

If they are accurate is the destruction of our economy worth it for these numbers of deaths?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Italy has 30,000 deaths and the numbers of dead under 60 go way up when hospitals are overwhelmed.

You cant use lockdown figures to justify ending the lockdown. That's like saying you didnt need a parachute because you didnt die from jumping out of a plane.

By *utmegsMan  over a year ago

Closer than you think

Depends on whether you’re content to take the risk that you’re not the ‘one’ in your age group. Same applies to your family and friends?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

If they are accurate is the destruction of our economy worth it for these numbers of deaths?"

Do you know anyone who has died from COVID

Closer than you think

"You cant use lockdown figures to justify ending the lockdown. That's like saying you didnt need a parachute because you didnt die from jumping out of a plane."

Absolutely this /\

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

If they are accurate is the destruction of our economy worth it for these numbers of deaths?

Do you know anyone who has died from COVID"

Unfortunately more than one...

As a previous poster said, this is with all the restrictions in place. How much worse could it have been... And its not as if we are out the woods yet..

Closer than you think

"Do you know anyone who has died from COVID"

Yes. I’ve lost two work colleagues in the last eight weeks, and a couple of others who’ve survived after long and unpleasant stays in ICU.

The fact you’ve asked that question is an example of why statistics are such a dangerous tool.

By *etsome OP   Man  over a year ago

birmingham

"Depends on whether you’re content to take the risk that you’re not the ‘one’ in your age group. Same applies to your family and friends?"

But there are risks with seasonal flu. 28,500 died in the flu season a few years ago. Locking down the economy would have saved some of those lives or would have meant those who died would have lived a few months longer. But we didn't lockdown

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

Unfortunately more than one...

As a previous poster said, this is with all the restrictions in place. How much worse could it have been... And its not as if we are out the woods yet.."

we won't be out of the woods unless there is a vaccine (doubtful) or we remain permanently locked down

birmingham

everyone who will die of covid-19 will die of covid-19. Trying to stop a virus spreading through a populate is like king canute trying to stop the tide coming in

birmingham

"everyone who will die of covid-19 will die of covid-19. Trying to stop a virus spreading through a populate is like king canute trying to stop the tide coming in"

and is there any evidence locking down has much more of an effect than social distancing and rigid handwashing?

"everyone who will die of covid-19 will die of covid-19. Trying to stop a virus spreading through a populate is like king canute trying to stop the tide coming in"

I thought we were trying to slow it down rather than stop it?!? You know, so the NHS could cope... Or possibly we could find something to make things at least a bit easier... Like a vaccine... Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno

"everyone who will die of covid-19 will die of covid-19. Trying to stop a virus spreading through a populate is like king canute trying to stop the tide coming in

I thought we were trying to slow it down rather than stop it?!? You know, so the NHS could cope... Or possibly we could find something to make things at least a bit easier... Like a vaccine... Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno"

I thought that too

Cos of there were like, thousands of really sick people, and no beds or people to treat them, things would have got tricky

I may be wrong too though

"everyone who will die of covid-19 will die of covid-19. Trying to stop a virus spreading through a populate is like king canute trying to stop the tide coming in

I thought we were trying to slow it down rather than stop it?!? You know, so the NHS could cope... Or possibly we could find something to make things at least a bit easier... Like a vaccine... Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno

I thought that too

Cos of there were like, thousands of really sick people, and no beds or people to treat them, things would have got tricky

I may be wrong too though"

* if!!!

birmingham

I thought we were trying to slow it down rather than stop it?!? You know, so the NHS could cope... Or possibly we could find something to make things at least a bit easier... Like a vaccine... Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno"

vaccine could be years away. At the rate it is progressing through society now it will take years before we gain herd immunity

birmingham

I thought that too

I may be wrong too though"

a collapsed economy will be trickier

I thought that too

I may be wrong too though

a collapsed economy will be trickier"

At the time of lockdown it was in exponential growth. The "let it flow through the population and take it on the chin" herd immunity approach was quickly abandoned. Now its under control, a sensible mixture of relaxing lockdown, social distancing, track, trace and isolate will give us back a degree of normality...

"I thought we were trying to slow it down rather than stop it?!? You know, so the NHS could cope... Or possibly we could find something to make things at least a bit easier... Like a vaccine... Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno"

You're exactly right. Lockdown was always about not overwhelming the NHS. And yes a vaccine is the ultimate goal, but by slowing down the spread of the virus we also buy time to develop more therapy treatments and drugs, which the NHS and others can use to help more people survive the disease. There are hundreds of these therapeutics in development and testing now and we'll have many of them operational months if not years before a vaccine is widely available.

vaccine could be years away. At the rate it is progressing through society now it will take years before we gain herd immunity"

Do they have a vaccine for HIV?

I dont think we have...but we have treatment for it that stops many people dying...just saying.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

"Depends on whether you’re content to take the risk that you’re not the ‘one’ in your age group. Same applies to your family and friends?

But there are risks with seasonal flu. 28,500 died in the flu season a few years ago. Locking down the economy would have saved some of those lives or would have meant those who died would have lived a few months longer. But we didn't lockdown"

Stop spurting the seasonal flu nonsense that you have taken a from facebook post.

By *s.KerryTV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

ANY death is one too many as far as I am concerned. To be honest I find some of the opinions posted rather callous personally

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

If they are accurate is the destruction of our economy worth it for these numbers of deaths?"

The economy hasnt Been destroyed.

"ANY death is one too many as far as I am concerned. To be honest I find some of the opinions posted rather callous personally"

Aye theres a lot of cavalier views on it until it effects them that is...

south dublin

"Depends on whether you’re content to take the risk that you’re not the ‘one’ in your age group. Same applies to your family and friends?

But there are risks with seasonal flu. 28,500 died in the flu season a few years ago. Locking down the economy would have saved some of those lives or would have meant those who died would have lived a few months longer. But we didn't lockdown"

The average number of deaths PER YEAR in the UK from flu is 17,000. Italy almost doubled that in 3 months with a lockdown. Comparing flu to covid is asinine and shows you dont know what you're talking about.

Stop comparing it with flu, it really isn’t the same

south dublin

Not the slightest bit true. Italy were overwhelmed and had to decide which patients to treat and which to leave without treatment.

We've stopped viruses before, several times in the last decade in fact. The lockdown is working fine and doing its job.

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

The economy hasnt Been destroyed."

No one is sure what effect this will have on the economy. Its a gamble

By *amagustaMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

An engineer died at the company I work, he was 31 years old and recently became dad of twins.

Not the slightest bit true. Italy were overwhelmed and had to decide which patients to treat and which to leave without treatment.

"

We did the same by sending the older hospital patients to die on a DNR.

liverpool

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

No one is sure what effect this will have on the economy. Its a gamble"

So it hasnt been destroyed.

birmingham

But there are risks with seasonal flu. 28,500 died in the flu season a few years ago. Locking down the economy would have saved some of those lives or would have meant those who died would have lived a few months longer. But we didn't lockdown

The average number of deaths PER YEAR in the UK from flu is 17,000. Italy almost doubled that in 3 months with a lockdown. Comparing flu to covid is asinine and shows you dont know what you're talking about."

It was 28,500 a few years ago - that is comparable. And I haven't seen any evidence that lockdown has any effect beyond social distancing and rigerous handwashing

We've stopped viruses before, several times in the last decade in fact. The lockdown is working fine and doing its job."

Unless you’re waiting for cancer treatment.

I guess it depends who you want to save.

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

No one is sure what effect this will have on the economy. Its a gamble

So it hasnt been destroyed."

I don't think we should do anything that makes it a possibility. America is at 36 million job losses. That would be 7-8 million in the UK and land is unprepared to deal with any future bat virus

south dublin

The average number of deaths PER YEAR in the UK from flu is 17,000. Italy almost doubled that in 3 months with a lockdown. Comparing flu to covid is asinine and shows you dont know what you're talking about.

It was 28,500 a few years ago - that is comparable. And I haven't seen any evidence that lockdown has any effect beyond social distancing and rigerous handwashing "

It's not comparable, it's less than a quarter of the rate even with lockdown procedures in place and it was mainly in Northern Italy that we saw the effects, not the whole country.

Which year were there 28,500 deaths because I haven't seen a year that matches that figure.

birmingham

Stop comparing it with flu, it really isn’t the same "

Flu also kills people and is spread by coming into contact with people who are infected

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"ANY death is one too many as far as I am concerned. To be honest I find some of the opinions posted rather callous personally"

So you would be in favour of banning all motor vehicles because they kill people?

birmingham

I also think there is a danger of saying cases going down therefore lockdown is working. It could be that they are not related

birmingham

If any death is one too many we would not have fought the second World War or Falklands war

"I also think there is a danger of saying cases going down therefore lockdown is working. It could be that they are not related"

So you think it just comes to a country for 2 months then buggers off regardlessly...really?

Professor Carl Heneghan of Oxford University stated that the infection rate in London had started to drop prior to lockdown and that better hygiene and social distancing was the reason.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Not alot we can do about our age.

liverpool

"If any death is one too many we would not have fought the second World War or Falklands war"

You realise that there are a few differences between a virus and an armed conflict?

birmingham

It was 28,500 a few years ago - that is comparable. And I haven't seen any evidence that lockdown has any effect beyond social distancing and rigerous handwashing

It's not comparable, it's less than a quarter of the rate even with lockdown procedures in place and it was mainly in Northern Italy that we saw the effects, not the whole country.

Which year were there 28,500 deaths because I haven't seen a year that matches that figure."

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-06/how-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-compare-to-seasonal-flu/

28,330 2014/15. I can't say I remember anything about that being such a bad year though

liverpool

"ANY death is one too many as far as I am concerned. To be honest I find some of the opinions posted rather callous personally

So you would be in favour of banning all motor vehicles because they kill people?"

You cant catch a car crash.

birmingham

"I also think there is a danger of saying cases going down therefore lockdown is working. It could be that they are not related

So you think it just comes to a country for 2 months then buggers off regardlessly...really?"

Yes, viruses tend to do that

By *perfectpair5050Couple  over a year ago

marlbourgh

It’s not the flu I wish people would get that through their stupid heads do you think Italy France Spain and us would’ve gone through all this just for a bit of seasonal flu if the government hadn’t done what they did you’d have over 100,000 dead by now

birmingham

Post hoc fallacy

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this

Blackpool

"ANY death is one too many as far as I am concerned. To be honest I find some of the opinions posted rather callous personally

So you would be in favour of banning all motor vehicles because they kill people?"

I was referring to the figures posted. How people can draw comparisons with war, flu, or car accidents in your case, God only knows!

birmingham

So you would be in favour of banning all motor vehicles because they kill people?

You cant catch a car crash."

You end up in the same place though

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Did lockdown work ?

I didn't eat anything yesterday and I'm still alive

Maybe I dont ever need to eat again ..

Blackpool

You end up in the same place though"

I thought some of the comments in this thread couldn't get any lower but you've just succeeded in doing so

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Yes

birmingham

To lay my cards on the table I'm also coming at this with not the greatest confidence in professor lockdown's computer code and thus his projected number off deaths. He was way of with bird flu and swine flu. I've heard people say if anyone came up with it in the private sector they would be fired

I would say that the elderly are more in the risk zone and as well those with underlying conditions such as vitamin d deficency which could be any age range there.

birmingham

You end up in the same place though

I thought some of the comments in this thread couldn't get any lower but you've just succeeded in doing so "

I don't see your problem. Just recognition that different things carry risks of killing us

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

To better understand these statistics it would be helpful if the total number of people in age group is given.

And even better still would be the figures for each yearly age group from

0 to 1 to 2 and so onto 100. Also giving the total number or people in the 100 age groups.

By *ikilovesCCouple  over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

Good of you to post those, it just shows how successful lockdown has been in saving lives

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

Good of you to post those, it just shows how successful lockdown has been in saving lives "

I refer you to the post hoc fallacy above

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

Do you know anyone who has died from COVID"

Yes, my parents next door neighbour who was in his 80s

My parents both contracted trying to help him when he collapsed. Both late 50s and were rough for a week or two but have recovered fine. My mother has since returned to work as an NHS nurse. I'm in my mid 30s and work in a care home so a fairly high risk job but so far, so good. My 3 kids are obviously in the lowest risk group so on the whole the risk factors do not frighten me at all really. I sometimes wonder if I should be scared but I'm just not. Maybe I'm odd.

birmingham

Staying 2 meters away from someone could be as equally effective as you both being in your own lofts

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

My parents both contracted trying to help him when he collapsed. Both late 50s and were rough for a week or two but have recovered fine. My mother has since returned to work as an NHS nurse. I'm in my mid 30s and work in a care home so a fairly high risk job but so far, so good. My 3 kids are obviously in the lowest risk group so on the whole the risk factors do not frighten me at all really. I sometimes wonder if I should be scared but I'm just not. Maybe I'm odd.

"

You didn't drink the kool aid

"Italy has 30,000 deaths and the numbers of dead under 60 go way up when hospitals are overwhelmed.

You cant use lockdown figures to justify ending the lockdown. That's like saying you didnt need a parachute because you didnt die from jumping out of a plane."

^^^^^^^^^This.

What we see in terms of deaths is the outcome AFTER almost all countries have taken action.

birmingham

"Italy has 30,000 deaths and the numbers of dead under 60 go way up when hospitals are overwhelmed.

You cant use lockdown figures to justify ending the lockdown. That's like saying you didnt need a parachute because you didnt die from jumping out of a plane.

^^^^^^^^^This.

What we see in terms of deaths is the outcome AFTER almost all countries have taken action. "

We don't see what the results of social distancing and handwashing would have been. Might not have been too dissimilar

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I am at the wrong end of the list anyone know where I can get a fake birth certificate from?

south dublin

^^^^^^^^^This.

What we see in terms of deaths is the outcome AFTER almost all countries have taken action.

We don't see what the results of social distancing and handwashing would have been. Might not have been too dissimilar"

Well we've seen it in other places that are opening up and their infection rate has increased so we know for a fact that lockdown is better at preventing the spread of disease

birmingham

^^^^^^^^^This.

We don't see what the results of social distancing and handwashing would have been. Might not have been too dissimilar

Well we've seen it in other places that are opening up and their infection rate has increased so we know for a fact that lockdown is better at preventing the spread of disease "

Trouble is lockdown is also a good way to collapse economies. There is a reason we have higher mortality rates than other parts of the world and that is because we have an economy with low unemployment

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 17:10:46]

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

You didn't drink the kool aid"

Wtf is Kool Aid??

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

Good of you to post those, it just shows how successful lockdown has been in saving lives I refer you to the post hoc fallacy above "

Oh I'm quite happy for someone to have a different view of things to me lol

I do believe though that all our economies would have gone into free fall anyway with this pandemic whether we had gone into lockdown or had just tried to muddle through the sickness and death rates that would have ensued, personally I would take the saving of lives every time.

No new cases in London in this briefing..as someone who used to live down there for 20 years. Well done London

D

south dublin

^^^^^^^^^This.

Well we've seen it in other places that are opening up and their infection rate has increased so we know for a fact that lockdown is better at preventing the spread of disease

Trouble is lockdown is also a good way to collapse economies. There is a reason we have higher mortality rates than other parts of the world and that is because we have an economy with low unemployment"

The reason the UK has a higher mortality rate has nothing to do with unemployment, it has to do with the Tories pursuing a herd immunity strategy and not locking down fast enough.

And the economy hasn't collapsed. The EU is going to raise 500bn on the bond market, the UK can do the same.

"

28,330 2014/15. I can't say I remember anything about that being such a bad year though"

2014/15 was an unlucky perfect storm

The strain of flu was particularly bad for elderly people (years where it's harder on younger people see less deaths) and the flu vaccine was much less effective than average years

birmingham

".

You didn't drink the kool aid

Wtf is Kool Aid?? "

The Rev Jim Jones insisted his followers drink it. It was not good for their long term health

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

^^^^^^^^^This.

Well we've seen it in other places that are opening up and their infection rate has increased so we know for a fact that lockdown is better at preventing the spread of disease "

Really ? Where ?

I've seen this claim before despite people from the countries involved ( Germany and Spain as examples) coming in here and saying its bullshit

birmingham

^^^^^^^^^This.

Trouble is lockdown is also a good way to collapse economies. There is a reason we have higher mortality rates than other parts of the world and that is because we have an economy with low unemployment

The reason the UK has a higher mortality rate has nothing to do with unemployment, it has to do with the Tories pursuing a herd immunity strategy and not locking down fast enough.

And the economy hasn't collapsed. The EU is going to raise 500bn on the bond market, the UK can do the same. "

Sounds like the magic money tree again to me

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

That was the general idea. but the UK gov change tact sand went for a lockdown. It was supposed to be 12 weeks and done. As for the Vaccine I wouldn't hold your breath this side of the millenium. Covid his here to stay for a while.

By *oopaandchampersCouple  over a year ago

St Johns

On BBC question time last Thurs evening... it was stated that 400 people had died from corona who were 60 and under and with no medical issues of any sort.....they also said 400 people had drowned last year swimming in the sea... so i guess there maybe conflicting views on when to ease up with this problem.

"Do you know anyone who has died from COVID

Yes. I’ve lost two work colleagues in the last eight weeks, and a couple of others who’ve survived after long and unpleasant stays in ICU.

The fact you’ve asked that question is an example of why statistics are such a dangerous tool."

I know people who have died due to covid being a complication within an existing life threatening condition, did they die of covid or the complication it created?

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

Pick 7 of your family and friends in these age ranges so they can catch covid and die. Then you know you'll be safe.

By *D835Man  over a year ago

London

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

No one is sure what effect this will have on the economy. Its a gamble"

The economy can recover, not so for those who have lost their lives.

south dublin

^^^^^^^^^This.

And the economy hasn't collapsed. The EU is going to raise 500bn on the bond market, the UK can do the same.

Sounds like the magic money tree again to me"

No, magic money tree is promising money that doesnt exist. Using the bond markets is a very real option and one that the UK haven't needed yet. We're a long way from a bad economy when we've still got those options unused.

^^^^^^^^^This.

No, magic money tree is promising money that doesnt exist. Using the bond markets is a very real option and one that the UK haven't needed yet. We're a long way from a bad economy when we've still got those options unused."

Tell that to the people who have lost their jobs in the last month.

800.000 new claimants for universal

Credit in a month.

London

Which year were there 28,500 deaths because I haven't seen a year that matches that figure.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-06/how-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-compare-to-seasonal-flu/

28,330 2014/15. I can't say I remember anything about that being such a bad year though"

And those 28,330 that died of flu in that year; did they all die within a 6-week period like what has happened with this virus ?

Your comparison makes no sense.

I would be more worried about Aids Than age group for catching flu ! it's quite terrifying when you see long list of sexual one night stands on a fab profile!

birmingham

28,330 2014/15. I can't say I remember anything about that being such a bad year though

And those 28,330 that died of flu in that year; did they all die within a 6-week period like what has happened with this virus ?

Your comparison makes no sense. "

Of course it makes sense. Sweden are no where near the apocalyptic numbers professor lockdown said they would be at it they didn't lockdown

London

Of course it makes sense. Sweden are no where near the apocalyptic numbers professor lockdown said they would be at it they didn't lockdown"

What does Sweden have to do with your flu v covid 19 comparison?

Seems like you’re just clutching at straws now.

And talking about Sweden; their population is only 10 million compared to the 60 million we have here. They are a bigger country with a smaller population and much lower population density.

Can’t see how you can compare the virus spread over there with what’s happening here.

Again another poor comparison.

One thing some people should think about:

Time creeps up on us all, and before you know it you're old.

Old people may become frail and have ailments that impact upon their lives and mobility, but you can be almost certain that in their minds they feel no different to how they did when they were twenty.

They do not want to die, and every extra year they have becomes precious to them and their families.

The idea that people over seventy don't matter and are expendable is utterly contemptible and makes me sick to the stomach. You won't find many 70+ year olds saying that they should just be abandoned and left to die, and I can pretty much guarantee that all the selfish individuals who propose such a thing and put money above peoples lives will have a massive change of heart when their own 70th birthdays appear on the horizon.

Have a bit of empathy and don't be a twat!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

why are you so intent on killing old people.... have you got some inheritances you are waiting on????

hey... sacrifice ya elders... its the way they would have wanted to go!!! cool!!!

liverpool

"One thing some people should think about:

Time creeps up on us all, and before you know it you're old.

Old people may become frail and have ailments that impact upon their lives and mobility, but you can be almost certain that in their minds they feel no different to how they did when they were twenty.

They do not want to die, and every extra year they have becomes precious to them and their families.

The idea that people over seventy don't matter and are expendable is utterly contemptible and makes me sick to the stomach. You won't find many 70+ year olds saying that they should just be abandoned and left to die, and I can pretty much guarantee that all the selfish individuals who propose such a thing and put money above peoples lives will have a massive change of heart when their own 70th birthdays appear on the horizon.

Have a bit of empathy and don't be a twat!"

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

If it was not for the NHS many younger would have died remember that

upton wirral

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

One day you will be old

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

There is no destruction of the economy. There may be hard times but it isn’t as dramatic as destruction. The government always find cash when they want to.

south dublin

^^^^^^^^^This.

No, magic money tree is promising money that doesnt exist. Using the bond markets is a very real option and one that the UK haven't needed yet. We're a long way from a bad economy when we've still got those options unused.

Credit in a month."

The vast majority of that are temporary furloughs. And 800,000 on the dole temporarily is vastly better than the 500,000 who would have died.

Does no one remember italy or the fact that the prime minister almost died from it?

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

The vast majority of that are temporary furloughs. And 800,000 on the dole temporarily is vastly better than the 500,000 who would have died.

Does no one remember italy or the fact that the prime minister almost died from it?"

800.000 in a month that's just to start with.

Hard times are coming g for many.

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

Does no one remember italy or the fact that the prime minister almost died from it?

Hard times are coming g for many."

Yeah, maybe, but they won't be fucking dead will they!

birmingham

[Removed by poster at 20/05/20 22:14:34]

birmingham

Don't forget 500,000 dead was professor lockdown's crappy computer model projection. The guy who was way out with swine flu and way out on bird flu.

The guy who thought lockdown was necessary until he needed a shag

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

Yeah, maybe, but they won't be fucking dead will they! "

Exactly...I've lived through the 70s and 80s when unemployment was massive but gladly I'm still here to type that.

We can overcome most things.

But death is not one of them...

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

If they are accurate is the destruction of our economy worth it for these numbers of deaths?One day you will be old "

Yes and I will have to accept there will be more chance of me dying of all sorts of things

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

Yeah, maybe, but they won't be fucking dead will they! "

Oh a keyboard warrior eh ?

birmingham

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

If they are accurate is the destruction of our economy worth it for these numbers of deaths?If it was not for the NHS many younger would have died remember that"

The RNHS sent infected people back into care homes but people too busy clapping to worry about that

birmingham

Of course it makes sense. Sweden are no where near the apocalyptic numbers professor lockdown said they would be at it they didn't lockdown

And talking about Sweden; their population is only 10 million compared to the 60 million we have here. They are a bigger country with a smaller population and much lower population density.

Can’t see how you can compare the virus spread over there with what’s happening here.

Again another poor comparison. "

60 million lol - try nearer 80 million

And Sweden does have some heavily populated areas with can be compared

Professor lockdown's crappy computer model said Sweden would have many more dead than they currently have if they didn't lock down. His model has been proved wrong on bird flu, swine flu and covid-19 but people still carry on worshiping him as of he is some sort of nessiah

birmingham

".Yeah, maybe, but they won't be fucking dead will they! "

Yes they will be dead unless we lock down permanently or get a vaccine (don't hold your breath)

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

They are putting every death down to the virus, even people who have died from heart attack who were not infected ,i bet hardly any autopsys have been done ,we had 2 cases of it in my hospital 1 died and other got better ..

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

Exactly...I've lived through the 70s and 80s when unemployment was massive but gladly I'm still here to type that.

We can overcome most things.

But death is not one of them..."

I lived through those decades too.

I am not arguing against lockdown .

But j have read this could the worst recession in 300 years.

How many people with money worrys and mental health problems are going to come through the other end.

There could be a tsunami of suicides coming.

It enjoyed me when that guy said that we are far from a bad economy.

Its collapsing.

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

Oh a keyboard warrior eh ?"

Really? Have I threatened you in any way?

No, I haven't. I've simply challenged your opinions. If that makes me a keyboard warrior in your eyes, so be it, but if you're going to post controversial comments then you should expect to be called out on them and not get upset when someone does just that.

^^^^^^^^^This.

Credit in a month.

Oh a keyboard warrior eh ?

Really? Have I threatened you in any way?

No, I haven't. I've simply challenged your opinions. If that makes me a keyboard warrior in your eyes, so be it, but if you're going to post controversial comments then you should expect to be called out on them and not get upset when someone does just that."

Read back and tell me what I said that was controversial.

You swore at me

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

Don't get it. Never have. I see the logic in reducing the peak, or whatever they called it. Not sure if I agreed with doing it but whatever.

Humanity has been overdue a pandemic for years. The point of a pandemic is that you lose the sick and weak from the population and the population is strengthened.

The good of the whole over the good of the individual.

You can't keep everyone alive indefinitely. You have to draw the line.

NICE does this with new drugs...are they value for money in terms of extra years of life.

Is the covid response plan cost effective by that sort of reasoning.

I've not looked at the numbers so I don't know the answer. To me it just feels wrong to be fighting nature this way.

upton wirral

"Don't get it. Never have. I see the logic in reducing the peak, or whatever they called it. Not sure if I agreed with doing it but whatever.

Humanity has been overdue a pandemic for years. The point of a pandemic is that you lose the sick and weak from the population and the population is strengthened.

The good of the whole over the good of the individual.

You can't keep everyone alive indefinitely. You have to draw the line.

NICE does this with new drugs...are they value for money in terms of extra years of life.

Is the covid response plan cost effective by that sort of reasoning.

I've not looked at the numbers so I don't know the answer. To me it just feels wrong to be fighting nature this way."

We do it because we are a strong spiecies and we fight for survival.If we did not we would not be here now

birmingham

Oban - spot on. We have become a childish mollycoddled society that expects the government to protect us from everything

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

It would be good to see similar statistics for the recovery rate.

By *r_Jake70Man  over a year ago

London

"So you would be in favour of banning all motor vehicles because they kill people?"

No, but we put appropriate measures into place to minimalist the risk. So, a speed limit, dozens of laws concerning safety of construction, seat belts, air bags, not being allowed to drive under the influence, or dangerously. Which is compatible to what we have to live with now. No one moans about how car laws are ruining their freedom or impinging upon their liberties because we understand how necessary they are. But ask people to hold back from congregating in groups or not go to the pub for a few months and there’s an uproar, with all sorts of misinformation and inappropriate comparisons being thrown about.

By *utualpleasure42Man  over a year ago

enter location here

I think people are lacking rational thinking. Lockdown had to happen. Many have died, they didn't have to. The gov have done an awful job. Shambles. Full of lies. To stubborn to follow other countries tactics because "Britain is the best in the world". Stuck up toffs.

If lockdown hadn't have happened, I wouldn't like to imagine the number of deaths. Maybe some of you doubters wouldn't be alive.. I'd expect the gov to protect us. That's their job. They look after the banks and the top 1%. Then they complain that they have to pay us to stay home to keep us alive. Where's the morals, where's the empathy. All they see is money. Scumbags.

Big changes and investigations after this blows over.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"It would be good to see similar statistics for the recovery rate.

"

it's very quiet for that on all fronts. It would also help if we had any idea on the number of people actually having been infected.

The one thing I really did think was madness was when they decided against testing people unless they were in hospital. I know many people that could have very well had It.

We do however need to lift this soon before the deaths caused by lockdown start to be a lot more. There has been a vast increase in calls to suicide helplines. And those are the ones that call.. sadly Covid related suicides or deaths due to not getting treatment are all going to mount up.

The other day I read about a young man that took his own life due to being scared of his exams messed up.

birmingham

"I think people are lacking rational thinking. Lockdown had to happen. Many have died, they didn't have to. The gov have done an awful job. Shambles. Full of lies. To stubborn to follow other countries tactics because "Britain is the best in the world". Stuck up toffs.

If lockdown hadn't have happened, I wouldn't like to imagine the number of deaths. Maybe some of you doubters wouldn't be alive.. I'd expect the gov to protect us. That's their job. They look after the banks and the top 1%. Then they complain that they have to pay us to stay home to keep us alive. Where's the morals, where's the empathy. All they see is money. Scumbags.

Big changes and investigations after this blows over. "

It all depends on whether you believe professor lockdown's computer model and many don't. I don't see his past predictions would fill anyone with confidence

birmingham

The r number is meaningless without knowing how many have had it and how many of those recovered. All they have at the moment is guesses

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

Again another poor comparison.

60 million lol - try nearer 80 million

And Sweden does have some heavily populated areas with can be compared

Professor lockdown's crappy computer model said Sweden would have many more dead than they currently have if they didn't lock down. His model has been proved wrong on bird flu, swine flu and covid-19 but people still carry on worshiping him as of he is some sort of nessiah"

Oh his model was for Sweden not the Uk? I never knew that.

Professor Carl Heneghan of Oxford Uni claims the peak of infections was 16 March. If he's right, lockdown was pointless!

Ferguson's model has been torn apart by huge number of experts. Needs to be a review of how he was ever appointed given his abysmal record on foot & mouth, bird flu + swine flu.

To be fair to the Government, if you were told 500000 would die and you'd seen the chaos in Italy, Lockdown was the obvious choice.

I wonder how much lower than 500000 it would've had to have been to maintain the original plan??

The death of one man is a tragedy.

The death of a million men is a statistic .

- Josef Stalin

Make what you will of that.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

The economy hasn't been destroyed - and if keeping me and hundreds of thousands of other people alive, even if I become unemployed, means someone in the City doesn't get his bonus, then fuck that cunt.

By *r_Jake70Man  over a year ago

London

"0-14 1 in 5,337,266

15-24 1 in 279,550

25-44 1 in 44,423

45-64 1 in 4,388

65-74 1 in 1,143

75-90 1 in 225

90+ 1 in 81

The economy hasn't been destroyed - and if keeping me and hundreds of thousands of other people alive, even if I become unemployed, means someone in the City doesn't get his bonus, then fuck that cunt."

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Professor Carl Heneghan of Oxford Uni claims the peak of infections was 16 March. If he's right, lockdown was pointless!"

I looked up this claim. It was reported in the papers on 20th April. Pity he never said on the 22nd March huh! So not sure how any government could have predicted that based on the hospital admissions increasing so that they couldn't cope (try and watch The Hospital programme from BBC2 where they followed the Royal Free Hospital in London from the day of lockdown. Entire floors in the hospital being converted to virus wards along with the operating rooms. The oxygen supplies not being able to cope. Huge trailer being brought in to store the dead as their morgue was full. And this was all with lockdown). Dr Heneghans claim was also based on hospital admissions only and didn't include care homes or people who were catching the virus and not being tested. His claim even states that this date may change when all data is available

London

"I think people are lacking rational thinking. Lockdown had to happen. Many have died, they didn't have to. The gov have done an awful job. Shambles. Full of lies. To stubborn to follow other countries tactics because "Britain is the best in the world". Stuck up toffs.

Big changes and investigations after this blows over.

It all depends on whether you believe professor lockdown's computer model and many don't. I don't see his past predictions would fill anyone with confidence"

How about Sir Patrick Vallance who said “ keeping the number of UK deaths below 20,000 would be a good result....”

At the time he said that, most people never thought we would even get to half that amount.

We are now well over 30,000 and counting......

Something had to be done.

Measures had to be put into place to control the spread.

Ayr

"Oban - spot on. We have become a childish mollycoddled society that expects the government to protect us from everything"

Really? Not a spoilt, entitled, "mimimimimi", I want what's best for me, fuck everybody else society?

How dare anyone dent my standard of living or jeopardise my holiday just to try and keep thousands of people I don't give a fuck about alive?

Things are going to get tough. Stop whining and grow a pair.

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

Why is it surprising to most people that deaths are related to age?

That is obvious, average life span age is about 69 anything over that is bonus time in nature's terms.

When time's up, it's up. There need be no other reason.

birmingham

"The death of one man is a tragedy.

The death of a million men is a statistic .

- Josef Stalin

Make what you will of that. "

apocryphal - as is "quantity has a quality all of its own" also often attributed to Stalin

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's important to prioritise health over the economy but we would have been able to do this much more ably, with less damage to the economy, if we had pursued strategies like Germany, South Korea, New Zealand and others.

Op, you presented a false dichotomy, where many other wise choices weren't included. We have had the liberty to truly manage this our qay, whilst keeping freedoms and our strengths from being harmed.

We're not a third world country, low in the league tables of state wealth. We're a very wealthy country and should behave as such, whilst recovering that the country's strength and key assets are its people

birmingham

"It's important to prioritise health over the economy but we would have been able to do this much more ably, with less damage to the economy, if we had pursued strategies like Germany, South Korea, New Zealand and others.

Op, you presented a false dichotomy, where many other wise choices weren't included. We have had the liberty to truly manage this our qay, whilst keeping freedoms and our strengths from being harmed.

We're not a third world country, low in the league tables of state wealth. We're a very wealthy country and should behave as such, whilst recovering that the country's strength and key assets are its people "

i've never understood how we can be described as a wealthy country when we owe 2 trillion and rising

London

"It's important to prioritise health over the economy but we would have been able to do this much more ably, with less damage to the economy, if we had pursued strategies like Germany, South Korea, New Zealand and others.

We're not a third world country, low in the league tables of state wealth. We're a very wealthy country and should behave as such, whilst recovering that the country's strength and key assets are its people

i've never understood how we can be described as a wealthy country when we owe 2 trillion and rising"

Maybe wealthy in terms of having the 5th largest economy?

birmingham

i've never understood how we can be described as a wealthy country when we owe 2 trillion and rising

Maybe wealthy in terms of having the 5th largest economy?"

sounds like someone eaerning 1 million a year saying they are rich eventhough they owe someone 100 million

i've never understood how we can be described as a wealthy country when we owe 2 trillion and rising"

You must be a fun guy at parties. With all your experience with economics and pandemics why the hell are you on fab and not advising the government. I tell you why, because you are no expert.

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

"Oban - spot on. We have become a childish mollycoddled society that expects the government to protect us from everything

Really? Not a spoilt, entitled, "mimimimimi", I want what's best for me, fuck everybody else society?

Things are going to get tough. Stop whining and grow a pair."

I don't get that. What's best for any one individual is lockdown because it increases the chance that you and your loved ones will stay alive.

What's best for society and the population is no lockdown.

liverpool

"Oban - spot on. We have become a childish mollycoddled society that expects the government to protect us from everything"

I'm sure nurses/carers working without life saving equipment would agree with you.

Ayr

"Oban - spot on. We have become a childish mollycoddled society that expects the government to protect us from everything

Things are going to get tough. Stop whining and grow a pair.

I don't get that. What's best for any one individual is lockdown because it increases the chance that you and your loved ones will stay alive.

What's best for society and the population is no lockdown. "

Of course you don't. Society and the population are made up of individuals.

Bottom line, my form of selfishness prioritises preserving life at the expense of wealth and convenience. Those who disagree with me prioritise those things the other way round.

Of course it makes sense. Sweden are no where near the apocalyptic numbers professor lockdown said they would be at it they didn't lockdown"

hmmmm reports this morning of Sweden now having the highest per capita death rate in Europe

hmmmm reports this morning of Sweden now having the highest per capita death rate in Europe "

Just waiting for someone to say...oh no they havent

Thought it was Belgium who have highest per capita rate.

Sweden are also probably further through the whole process and in less likely to have further "waves" as a result of no lockdown. All over faster.

south dublin

"Thought it was Belgium who have highest per capita rate.

Sweden are also probably further through the whole process and in less likely to have further "waves" as a result of no lockdown. All over faster."

Sweden overtook them and we dont know if immunity is a thing that will last or even if it's common yet.

By *uncpl70Couple  over a year ago

Durham

Those figures are incorrect as we've had under 14 year old die in this country and we havent had over 5 million test results

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Thought it was Belgium who have highest per capita rate.

Sweden are also probably further through the whole process and in less likely to have further "waves" as a result of no lockdown. All over faster."

The Swedes behave totally different to the way we do, that's why they didn't need the same preventative measures

Closer than you think

"I don't get that. What's best for any one individual is lockdown because it increases the chance that you and your loved ones will stay alive.

What's best for society and the population is no lockdown. "

Depends on how you define ‘best’.

» Add a new message to this topic