FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Queues at Supermarkets

Queues at Supermarkets

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I am working as a security officer in my local Sainsbury at the moment. My store can handle 300 people at a time but during these times, I only allow 40 people at a time and I make sure no families or couples jump in the queue just cause they all got individual trollies or the old excuse saying " we're not related". It takes a toll on my colleagues to do these extra bits but id like to advise that it's better to wait in the queue and trust no one and I will explain why. A lot of people who do have the virus wether they know it or not are coming to shop on a daily basis which are facts in my opinion. Hence why I can't stress enough the importance of social distancing. .

I have honestly had 2 cases where I knew people were infected and mind you no one is proudly admitting they have the virus.

1st case: this man waited for his turn with a child in a pram. When I asked him to come in, he walked up to me very close and asked me if I could allow his wife knows the list by heart and also because she's alone in the car and has the virus. I couldn't tell if he thought it was smart or what. I told him the policy of one person per group and he argued for a bit. I thought I was being tested so I told him I didn't refuse entrance because your wife has the virus. It's only because of the one person per group policy. He had some sort of realisation and just went inside the store quietly after.

2nd case: I had, 2 customers started arguing in the queue. I approach them and found out that they lived in the same building just different apartments. One of the customer's father was infected with the virus so his supposed healthy son came to do shopping. His neighbour thought he had no right to shop and threw a fit. Long story short I stressed the value of distancing and told them that anyone could be carrying it wether they're diagnosed or not.

I want people to realise literally anyone could be carrying it wether they know it or not. I understand there's not much to do but do consider the risks of going shopping or the parks/beaches. It's not worth losing your life over just for one summer.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I am working as a security officer in my local Sainsbury at the moment. My store can handle 300 people at a time but during these times, I only allow 40 people at a time and I make sure no families or couples jump in the queue just cause they all got individual trollies or the old excuse saying " we're not related". It takes a toll on my colleagues to do these extra bits but id like to advise that it's better to wait in the queue and trust no one and I will explain why. A lot of people who do have the virus wether they know it or not are coming to shop on a daily basis which are facts in my opinion. Hence why I can't stress enough the importance of social distancing. .

I have honestly had 2 cases where I knew people were infected and mind you no one is proudly admitting they have the virus.

1st case: this man waited for his turn with a child in a pram. When I asked him to come in, he walked up to me very close and asked me if I could allow his wife knows the list by heart and also because she's alone in the car and has the virus. I couldn't tell if he thought it was smart or what. I told him the policy of one person per group and he argued for a bit. I thought I was being tested so I told him I didn't refuse entrance because your wife has the virus. It's only because of the one person per group policy. He had some sort of realisation and just went inside the store quietly after.

2nd case: I had, 2 customers started arguing in the queue. I approach them and found out that they lived in the same building just different apartments. One of the customer's father was infected with the virus so his supposed healthy son came to do shopping. His neighbour thought he had no right to shop and threw a fit. Long story short I stressed the value of distancing and told them that anyone could be carrying it wether they're diagnosed or not.

I want people to realise literally anyone could be carrying it wether they know it or not. I understand there's not much to do but do consider the risks of going shopping or the parks/beaches. It's not worth losing your life over just for one summer.

"

Too right! I keep 2 metres apart when i can. I get the odd eejot getting too close so back away, even if it was my turn to go down an isle or join the checkout queue, i judt let em through rather than catch anything

"I am working as a security officer in my local Sainsbury at the moment. My store can handle 300 people at a time but during these times, I only allow 40 people at a time and I make sure no families or couples jump in the queue just cause they all got individual trollies or the old excuse saying " we're not related". It takes a toll on my colleagues to do these extra bits but id like to advise that it's better to wait in the queue and trust no one and I will explain why. A lot of people who do have the virus wether they know it or not are coming to shop on a daily basis which are facts in my opinion. Hence why I can't stress enough the importance of social distancing. .

Too right! I keep 2 metres apart when i can. I get the odd eejot getting too close so back away, even if it was my turn to go down an isle or join the checkout queue, i judt let em through rather than catch anything "

You also have to look at the big picture, less than 400 people under the age of 60 have died so far and most had underlying conditions . Let's get a grip stay alert but not blind panic .

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

There are plenty of idiots in the stores, not keeping 2m distancing , reaching over you, going down the aisles the wrong way. This needs to be addressed, the queues are not a problem. My husband and I go in with separate trollies, he shops for us, I shop for my 90year old Dad and disabled brother, if I were shopping for 3households, I would be in there all day. This needs to be taken into account by stores.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I've found most shops manage all this just fine. Had an arguement with one security guy who was refusing to let me in with the young guy I was obviously assisting with his shopping. He had his badge to prove his disability..but as I'm not his normal carer the security guard was saying I couldn't go in with him

Even went as far as to tell us that If he was that disabled that he needed someone to help him shop that he should have not been out.

I calmly left for the good of the gent I was with and we went to another local store and got his shopping. I did complain and apparently words were had... but seems that many make up their own version of the shops rules

chelmsford

"I've found most shops manage all this just fine. Had an arguement with one security guy who was refusing to let me in with the young guy I was obviously assisting with his shopping. He had his badge to prove his disability..but as I'm not his normal carer the security guard was saying I couldn't go in with him

Even went as far as to tell us that If he was that disabled that he needed someone to help him shop that he should have not been out.

I calmly left for the good of the gent I was with and we went to another local store and got his shopping. I did complain and apparently words were had... but seems that many make up their own version of the shops rules "

That's disgraceful, they need to show some discretion and common sense towards customers.There are different demographics and stores should cater for those.

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"You also have to look at the big picture, less than 400 people under the age of 60 have died so far and most had underlying conditions . Let's get a grip stay alert but not blind panic ."

But they can still be carriers.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I get the social distancing thing 100% but if I went to your store and you were only allowing 40 people instead of 300 I'd be annoyed.

If that was the case at my Sainsbury's you'd have to queue for hours!

By *iscreteBiBuilderMan  over a year ago

Bury

The security and shop floor staff can be terrible in most supermarkets (all brand names) for social distancing, had them brush right past me in wide isles or breath in my face. Appreciate they are under pressure but you can see how this has spread so easily. It is not just customers behaviour at fault

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"The security and shop floor staff can be terrible in most supermarkets (all brand names) for social distancing, had them brush right past me in wide isles or breath in my face. Appreciate they are under pressure but you can see how this has spread so easily. It is not just customers behaviour at fault"

I don't think it does spread that easily. If the R number is less than 1 then it means that in the 2 weeks that you could be walking around with the disease before you feel too ill to go out, or you recover, the average person only manages to infect one other person (or none).

chelmsford

"I get the social distancing thing 100% but if I went to your store and you were only allowing 40 people instead of 300 I'd be annoyed.

If that was the case at my Sainsbury's you'd have to queue for hours!"

Yes, same here

Amazed no one has been shot in ameruca yet for not keeping distance

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I imagine that your job must be quite challenging at times. I hope people observe the rules and spare a thought for staff

The OP is wasted on being a security guard going off these comments

A lot of people who do have the virus wether they know it or not are coming to shop on a daily basis which are facts in my opinion.

Maybe we don't need a track and trace APP when we have the OP who can spot those infected.

"The OP is wasted on being a security guard going off these comments

A lot of people who do have the virus wether they know it or not are coming to shop on a daily basis which are facts in my opinion.

Maybe we don't need a track and trace APP when we have the OP who can spot those infected."

It wasn't him spotting them...it came about due to conversations he had.

I wish all the monitors on supermarket entrance's works in the same way.

It's their job to try to keep us safe.

Now once the idiots get inside the store is another matter

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

Interesting post and a very good one,I am just off to supermarket so makes me be extra carefull.Nice to see a quality post thankyou

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

[Removed by poster at 21/05/20 12:43:31]

"Amazed no one has been shot in ameruca yet for not keeping distance"

A security guard in Michigan was shot for refusing entry to a shopper who wasn't wearing a face mask.

"I get the social distancing thing 100% but if I went to your store and you were only allowing 40 people instead of 300 I'd be annoyed.

If that was the case at my Sainsbury's you'd have to queue for hours!"

I also worked at a tescos express with the capacity of 40 and I could only allow 7 at a time. I could write essays explaining but at the end of the day, would you rather risk your life or struggle for a few months with basic things like shopping. Obviously I understand where you're coming from as well. No one wants go wait 20/30 minutes in a queue outside the store even if you just want 1 item.

"The security and shop floor staff can be terrible in most supermarkets (all brand names) for social distancing, had them brush right past me in wide isles or breath in my face. Appreciate they are under pressure but you can see how this has spread so easily. It is not just customers behaviour at fault"
no one is perfect. You're absolutely right. In that case you just have to be careful yourself. Ask people to stay away from you but in a polite manner so they don't try pick a fight. A lady took her mask off and started coughing at me saying some nasty things. I believe she was fine but just to scare me

In no way am I telling people how to behave. Just sharing my knowledge and experience so far. For everyone's sake.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"

Either I'm stupid and can't understand what your saying or your off your trolley or having a laugh ?

You let man into a supermarket when his wife was in the car with the virus ?

Did the supermarket not teach you that if one member of a household is positive they must self isolate for 7 days and ALL OTHER MEMBERS of that household must self isolate for 14 days

You should have been on the phone to the police.

Northampton Somewhere

If that was the case at my Sainsbury's you'd have to queue for hours! I also worked at a tescos express with the capacity of 40 and I could only allow 7 at a time. I could write essays explaining but at the end of the day, would you rather risk your life or struggle for a few months with basic things like shopping. Obviously I understand where you're coming from as well. No one wants go wait 20/30 minutes in a queue outside the store even if you just want 1 item."

If you work in retail you will know that the amount of people you can let in is governs by ypur shop floor space. So if your capacity allows for 40 why are you only letting 7 in? Also, you should of put markers on the floor to remind people to social distance.

Seems like a bit of a control behaviour to me.

If that was the case at my Sainsbury's you'd have to queue for hours! I also worked at a tescos express with the capacity of 40 and I could only allow 7 at a time. I could write essays explaining but at the end of the day, would you rather risk your life or struggle for a few months with basic things like shopping. Obviously I understand where you're coming from as well. No one wants go wait 20/30 minutes in a queue outside the store even if you just want 1 item.

If you work in retail you will know that the amount of people you can let in is governs by ypur shop floor space. So if your capacity allows for 40 why are you only letting 7 in? Also, you should of put markers on the floor to remind people to social distance.

Seems like a bit of a control behaviour to me. "

7 out, 7 in. That's how our supermarket is.

It's the shop's responsibility to mark the floors, not the security guard.

Northampton Somewhere

If that was the case at my Sainsbury's you'd have to queue for hours! I also worked at a tescos express with the capacity of 40 and I could only allow 7 at a time. I could write essays explaining but at the end of the day, would you rather risk your life or struggle for a few months with basic things like shopping. Obviously I understand where you're coming from as well. No one wants go wait 20/30 minutes in a queue outside the store even if you just want 1 item.

It's the shop's responsibility to mark the floors, not the security guard. "

Yes, I know that.

The OP said he lets 40 out of 300 in. The bloke I quoted 7 out of 40. I wondered why, that's all.

Either I'm stupid and can't understand what your saying or your off your trolley or having a laugh ?

Did the supermarket not teach you that if one member of a household is positive they must self isolate for 7 days and ALL OTHER MEMBERS of that household must self isolate for 14 days

"

since this virus isn't racist, sexist or ageist, anyone could be carrying it. we are treating everyone as if they do have the virus. We haven't been told to not let them in. They have to shop as well. Those are the instructions given to us. Which does make sense because deliveries aren't being made for the sick or elderly. I hear your point and you're right to an extent but since people wont behave proper, it comes down dealing with situations like that when it comes to it. Just cause one person admitted his wifes sick, I can't turn him away.

Yes, I know that.

The OP said he lets 40 out of 300 in. The bloke I quoted 7 out of 40. I wondered why, that's all."

Jesus Christ.. No silly my store has a capacity of 300 people. Not that I allow 300 people in a store at once.i was stating that our capacity is 300, once I let 40 in. It's one in, one out. So only 40 present in the store at all times.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Tescos have lolly pop people in the store telling people of ,go to asda and its more relaxed same as morrisons

It’s laughable that people still think that social distancing is an effective measure and that lockdown should stay, please stop following the media’s agenda of bullying and scaremongering

chelmsford

"It’s laughable that people still think that social distancing is an effective measure and that lockdown should stay, please stop following the media’s agenda of bullying and scaremongering"

What should we do then?

"What should we do then?"

Carry on as normal, viruses don’t arrive then disappear, they stay forever, and none of the current imposed measures can last (both practically and people don’t want them to- see beaches, etc)

The current death rate is also not significantly greater than the 5 year trend and for the majority of age groups it is down

chelmsford

"What should we do then?

Carry on as normal, viruses don’t arrive then disappear, they stay forever, and none of the current imposed measures can last (both practically and people don’t want them to- see beaches, etc)

The current death rate is also not significantly greater than the 5 year trend and for the majority of age groups it is down"

Ok thank you

Northampton Somewhere

Yes, I know that.

The OP said he lets 40 out of 300 in. The bloke I quoted 7 out of 40. I wondered why, that's all. Jesus Christ.. No silly my store has a capacity of 300 people. Not that I allow 300 people in a store at once.i was stating that our capacity is 300, once I let 40 in. It's one in, one out. So only 40 present in the store at all times."

Hey, less of the silly! Your store capacity under the new guidelines must be 40 then

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Tescos have lolly pop people in the store telling people of ,go to asda and its more relaxed same as morrisons "
my asda is super strict. Been in it the other day.. and no no no. I'll stick to tesco or food warehouse lol or aldi

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"It’s laughable that people still think that social distancing is an effective measure and that lockdown should stay, please stop following the media’s agenda of bullying and scaremongering"

Of course it’s effective if you don’t mix with others then you reduce the risk of catching and spreading.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I have found if I go shopping late afternoon/early evening that there`s very little, if any queuing now. Makes it much more relaxing!

"It’s laughable that people still think that social distancing is an effective measure and that lockdown should stay, please stop following the media’s agenda of bullying and scaremongering

Of course it’s effective if you don’t mix with others then you reduce the risk of catching and spreading. "

Hey this is Fab, there's no place for common sense on here!

By *peak and SpellCouple  over a year ago

Greenwich, SE LONDON

My fear is most people have the patience to queue outside when the weather is good (as is currently), but if the situation remains the same as we go into Autumn or even Winter... Then tempers are going to become more frayed for those waiting outside in the cold and wet. Queues will be much more difficult to manage.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Went to a supermarket yesterday, no queue outside, great I thought, only to find people were queuing inside the full length of an aisle, little bit crackers

That's why we manage a only small amount in the store at a time so they can maintain distance, shop quickly and have no queues at the check outs because if the queues build up inside, I know I'm not doing my job right.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

since this virus isn't racist, sexist or ageist, anyone could be carrying it. we are treating everyone as if they do have the virus. We haven't been told to not let them in. They have to shop as well. Those are the instructions given to us. Which does make sense because deliveries aren't being made for the sick or elderly. I hear your point and you're right to an extent but since people wont behave proper, it comes down dealing with situations like that when it comes to it. Just cause one person admitted his wifes sick, I can't turn him away. "

Well then it should have been down to you as a human being with some scattering of common sense to remind the person of the regulations and if necessary do your civic duty and phone the police. Think why you're there !!

The government rules are perfectly clear regarding self isolating. It doesn't say you must self isolate unless you need to go out.

There's enough people crying on here about people walking past their house who probably don't even have the virus never mind this.

People going out when they are sick is how it got to this state and how it can easily escalate again.

chelmsford

since this virus isn't racist, sexist or ageist, anyone could be carrying it. we are treating everyone as if they do have the virus. We haven't been told to not let them in. They have to shop as well. Those are the instructions given to us. Which does make sense because deliveries aren't being made for the sick or elderly. I hear your point and you're right to an extent but since people wont behave proper, it comes down dealing with situations like that when it comes to it. Just cause one person admitted his wifes sick, I can't turn him away.

Well then it should have been down to you as a human being with some scattering of common sense to remind the person of the regulations and if necessary do your civic duty and phone the police. Think why you're there !!

The government rules are perfectly clear regarding self isolating. It doesn't say you must self isolate unless you need to go out.

There's enough people crying on here about people walking past their house who probably don't even have the virus never mind this.

People going out when they are sick is how it got to this state and how it can easily escalate again."

Yes I agree with this, the gentleman with the sick wife should be self isolating. All councils have a body of volunteers for these people, who will shop for them, pick up meds etc

THE reason the death rate is low is precicely because measures are working and the nhs not over whelmed because they let them die in care homes

Do not let any one in a shop who has virus in thr family simples

» Add a new message to this topic