FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > University

University

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abs.. OP   Woman  over a year ago

This week two universities, Cambridge and Leeds Beckettt, have made the decision to only offer online teaching for the next academic year. So no face to face tuition, seminars etc but will still be charging £9,250 for the year. In any other field an online course is cheaper than a face to face course. I’m not sure how that can be right.

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etsomeMan  over a year ago

birmingham

"This week two universities, Cambridge and Leeds Beckettt, have made the decision to only offer online teaching for the next academic year. So no face to face tuition, seminars etc but will still be charging £9,250 for the year. In any other field an online course is cheaper than a face to face course. I’m not sure how that can be right.

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit. "

going to be a few universities going out of business

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Don't know how they will survive without their main cash cow.

Overseas students they pay massive amounts especially Chinese students who arrive on mass and even have to cough up ( excuse the pun) ten grand to pass a basic English language course before starting the season proper.

Bear in mind Southampton university has around two and a half thousand Chinese students alone every year!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It will save the kids a fortune in rent and alcohol. I reckon more universities will do the same.

By *racy_JacksWoman  over a year ago

Derby

I’m not sure about Leeds Beckett but at Cambridge it will be big lectures online and smaller group seminars in person where possible. Meanwhile Bolton have announced that they will be teaching face to face and using eg temperature checks. They have been criticised as being irresponsible by the Union. This is the kind of thing that might happen without government support for higher education. I think that in practice in most cases it will be a blended approach, with things that can’t be taught online prioritised for face to face delivery.

I dont think online teaching is a problem, Open University have done well over the years.

Obviously seminars won't change much by going online but I do wonder how the more hands on courses will fair.

"I dont think online teaching is a problem, Open University have done well over the years.

Obviously seminars won't change much by going online but I do wonder how the more hands on courses will fair. "

I agree that it won’t have too much affect on some parts of a course but they shouldn’t be able to charge the same price for a reduced service.

I imagine they will have to work out a way of accommodating students going into uni to do things like lab work assessments etc.

"It will save the kids a fortune in rent and alcohol. I reckon more universities will do the same. "

It will impact on their Uni experience in terms of forming friendships with others on their course.

I honestly think if it was my child I would want them to defer for a year.

"Don't know how they will survive without their main cash cow.

Overseas students they pay massive amounts especially Chinese students who arrive on mass and even have to cough up ( excuse the pun) ten grand to pass a basic English language course before starting the season proper.

Bear in mind Southampton university has around two and a half thousand Chinese students alone every year!"

It will be interesting to see how that works out.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"This week two universities, Cambridge and Leeds Beckettt, have made the decision to only offer online teaching for the next academic year. So no face to face tuition, seminars etc but will still be charging £9,250 for the year. In any other field an online course is cheaper than a face to face course. I’m not sure how that can be right.

That will be very sad indeed. More than half of a Uni-Edu is about the relationships we form with each other during the Academic Year.

I don't doubt that the courses will offer the same quility content - but without the human contact ????

That will be very sad indeed. More than half of a Uni-Edu is about the relationships we form with each other during the Academic Year.

I don't doubt that the courses will offer the same quility content - but without the human contact ????

"

It won’t be the Uni experience that they hoped for but it will still be a big debt.

By *ustme1820Woman  over a year ago

Southcoast Gosport

no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit. no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well "

Open university courses are cheaper.

Southcoast Gosport

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit. no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well

Open university courses are cheaper. "

the universities still have to pay academic staff, administrative staff, and online learning platforms for teaching which do not come cheap. Maybe they’ll review their costs in time.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

" no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well "

Except no 18 year old uses the OU to get their Degree!!!

Southcoast Gosport

" no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well

Except no 18 year old uses the OU to get their Degree!!!"

I know a few that have gone that route

"It will save the kids a fortune in rent and alcohol. I reckon more universities will do the same.

It will impact on their Uni experience in terms of forming friendships with others on their course.

I honestly think if it was my child I would want them to defer for a year. "

As someone who is currently teaching these pretty uninspiring online courses, I’d also tell potential students to defer a year. The current experience is mediocre to say the least and can’t really be compared to the Open University as they have developed a successful approach over a long number of years. Profs and lecturers at traditional universities this term have just been told, here’s Zoom or Moodle or Blackboard, just deliver something...

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit. going to be a few universities going out of business"

Not the old ones, they own a huge amount of land.

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

"It will save the kids a fortune in rent and alcohol. I reckon more universities will do the same.

I honestly think if it was my child I would want them to defer forever. "

FTFY

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

[Removed by poster at 22/05/20 23:14:09]

Dubai

Loads are defeating at cambs because if this. They will fill up on BTECs and foreign students this year.

Waiting for Kings to announce, if they follow suit , my daughter will defer too, even if fees are completely waived, semester 1 and probably 2 will be a waste of time until they fix what they are doing

Dubai

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit. no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well "

It works really well if you have a career or sponsor and no family , otherwise it’s expensive and painful

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

Can’t see how this is good for anyone , the students won’t be needing rented property...... landlords forced to sell houses , property prices falling .... not good . Students not in town going to shops and bars and restaurants .... reduced trade there too , not good

I can’t see that by October they won’t have changed the guidance so much that Uni’s can do a lot of teaching as normal, just with smaller class sizes like schools.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Online classes are really not the opportunity that many people need, in order to learn well. You can't ask questions or contribute in the same ways that in person classes offer, in general.

The universities have been doing fairly well in recent years but are also subject to the government not investing well in to education.

Keeping the fees at the same levels for online whilst delivering less of any substance, seems wrong.

As a student I resent that we are easily milked as cashcows.

"Can’t see how this is good for anyone , the students won’t be needing rented property...... landlords forced to sell houses , property prices falling .... not good . Students not in town going to shops and bars and restaurants .... reduced trade there too , not good "

That is the wider consequence isn’t it? The local economy will be hit.

"I can’t see that by October they won’t have changed the guidance so much that Uni’s can do a lot of teaching as normal, just with smaller class sizes like schools."

I think some uni’s are saying that it could be a combination of teaching. Lectures halls tend to be quite large and they attempt to work with the space they have, as you say, like schools.

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

[Removed by poster at 23/05/20 07:16:53]

"Online classes are really not the opportunity that many people need, in order to learn well. You can't ask questions or contribute in the same ways that in person classes offer, in general.

The universities have been doing fairly well in recent years but are also subject to the government not investing well in to education.

Keeping the fees at the same levels for online whilst delivering less of any substance, seems wrong.

As a student I resent that we are easily milked as cashcows. "

I agree with you. I feel that Uni students have been neglected in this. They are still paying full fees, paying for their accommodation that they aren’t in because they are mostly back home having limited online teaching. They are always the afterthought and it seems to me that every other group is receiving support apart from Uni students.

They are paying for one thing and now they won’t receive it. It is wrong.

I also resent how uni students are treated on many fronts. They are the forgotten ones.

By *andare63Man  over a year ago

oldham

It will be interesting to see how many more will follow suit. no different to the Open University module of delivery which works really well

Open university courses are cheaper. the universities still have to pay academic staff, administrative staff, and online learning platforms for teaching which do not come cheap. Maybe they’ll review their costs in time. "

I think you will find that a lot of learning platforms are free. I also think with the onset of a blended approach a lot of lecturers will find themselves redundant.

Loads are defeating at cambs because if this. They will fill up on BTECs and foreign students this year.

Waiting for Kings to announce, if they follow suit , my daughter will defer too, even if fees are completely waived, semester 1 and probably 2 will be a waste of time until they fix what they are doing "

I think a number of people will defer. There are a lot of unknowns at a large cost at the moment.

Open university courses are cheaper. the universities still have to pay academic staff, administrative staff, and online learning platforms for teaching which do not come cheap. Maybe they’ll review their costs in time. "

That’s right, there are a lot of costs involved with whatever platform they choose to use but that isn’t the service you’re paying for in these instances. Not everyone would choose an online course because it doesn’t suit your style of learning.

I honestly think if it was my child I would want them to defer forever.

FTFY "

You’re not wrong Pink. Keep my babes with me I would if I could

It's funny you say that, practicioner's I know(Tantra, Raiki, Yoga, ect) charge a specific price per hour (usually £100 an hour) per session. However they also do online sessions which is still the same price. And it's the same all around the world. They are all professionals and it takes years to learn Thier 'trade'. And I do mean year's. I've been studying, practicing, and attended loads of workshop's. For the past four years. I've had so much experience. Yet I wouldn't consider (if I wanted to) becoming a practicioner for at least another 3 years. It's very spiritual and enlightening. The tools of the trade we master is so important in helping people with all sorts of problems to basically fix Thier sexual energy so they can again enjoy a normal to higher level of sex life. It's very demanding and time consuming to take on a new student/client.

Yes initially I thought it should be cheaper if your lessons/sessions are online, but no it's right. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

I honestly think if it was my child I would want them to defer for a year.

As someone who is currently teaching these pretty uninspiring online courses, I’d also tell potential students to defer a year. The current experience is mediocre to say the least and can’t really be compared to the Open University as they have developed a successful approach over a long number of years. Profs and lecturers at traditional universities this term have just been told, here’s Zoom or Moodle or Blackboard, just deliver something... "

There has been a decline in the quality of what is delivered for some. I think during these difficult times and the urgent response that was needed It was inevitable and allowances should be made. Going forward though I can understand the reluctance for students to receive education in that way at that cost.

oldham

University's I think will have to look at their fees to bolster their intake during these unprecedented times.

Equally courses that are delivered in a blended way will only be of value to the type of learner that is self motivated,autonomous and prepared to take ownership of their studies.

"It's funny you say that, practicioner's I know(Tantra, Raiki, Yoga, ect) charge a specific price per hour (usually £100 an hour) per session. However they also do online sessions which is still the same price. And it's the same all around the world. They are all professionals and it takes years to learn Thier 'trade'. And I do mean year's. I've been studying, practicing, and attended loads of workshop's. For the past four years. I've had so much experience. Yet I wouldn't consider (if I wanted to) becoming a practicioner for at least another 3 years. It's very spiritual and enlightening. The tools of the trade we master is so important in helping people with all sorts of problems to basically fix Thier sexual energy so they can again enjoy a normal to higher level of sex life. It's very demanding and time consuming to take on a new student/client.

Yes initially I thought it should be cheaper if your lessons/sessions are online, but no it's right. At the end of the day you get what you pay for."

You do get what you pay for - students won’t be getting that though will they? They have signed up for one thing but something else will be delivered. You pay for a service and that’s what you expect to receive. If you sign up for a particular style of learning and access to labs, a fantastic library, dance studios etc is part of that as well as access to lecturers face to face, seminars and all those other things that go along with it and you’re not going to receive that then the cost should not be the same. That is particularly relevant if you are in the middle of your course.

The last course I signed up for gave me the opportunity to do online learning or blended learning. I chose blended because it suits me but the costs were different and I think that’s reasonable.

You can’t move the goalposts mid way through but for many Uni students that is what will happen.

"University's I think will have to look at their fees to bolster their intake during these unprecedented times.

Equally courses that are delivered in a blended way will only be of value to the type of learner that is self motivated,autonomous and prepared to take ownership of their studies. "

It will be interesting to see how they manage this. I agree that blended learning isn’t right for everyone though and many will re-evaluate their choices.

oldham

"University's I think will have to look at their fees to bolster their intake during these unprecedented times.

Equally courses that are delivered in a blended way will only be of value to the type of learner that is self motivated,autonomous and prepared to take ownership of their studies.

It will be interesting to see how they manage this. I agree that blended learning isn’t right for everyone though and many will re-evaluate their choices. "

Absolutely. However the choices are going to be limited at every level.

I have to say I feel no pity for a lot of the establishments that have had our kids over a barrel with their extortionate fees. Let's face it some of the Dean's are earning in excess of 300 upto 500 k a year

Dubai

Waiting for Kings to announce, if they follow suit , my daughter will defer too, even if fees are completely waived, semester 1 and probably 2 will be a waste of time until they fix what they are doing

I think a number of people will defer. There are a lot of unknowns at a large cost at the moment. "

For us personally it’s a biggie - £11-13k on top for London rent , so happy if she defers another year, starting online will be a mess. Uni staff are rubbish at distance learning platforms , and that’s not a dig, they just have other / different skill sets.

So maybe another year where we have some money it’s crazy costs , Nottingham rent for our other one is just £4K

Dubai

Equally courses that are delivered in a blended way will only be of value to the type of learner that is self motivated,autonomous and prepared to take ownership of their studies. "

For most serious students, fees make no difference at all. They go for 3/4 years away from home, to mature and begin to be a professional

For the BTEC / Apprenticeship market, they may consider uni more if its cheaper and they don’t have to leave home, go in , can just sit on there phone in bed and do it. Lots more useless degrees coming then....

Most universities are informing students they cannot defer less there is a good reason..x

I think a number of people will defer. There are a lot of unknowns at a large cost at the moment.

For us personally it’s a biggie - £11-13k on top for London rent , so happy if she defers another year, starting online will be a mess. Uni staff are rubbish at distance learning platforms , and that’s not a dig, they just have other / different skill sets.

So maybe another year where we have some money it’s crazy costs , Nottingham rent for our other one is just £4K "

The costs are outrageous aren’t they? The accommodation is often a poor standard and they’re charged so much.

"Most universities are informing students they cannot defer less there is a good reason..x"

I didn’t know that. I wonder what they would consider to be a good reason.

By *ncemoreroundthesunCouple  over a year ago

A town and place not in the UK

1 out of 5 foreign students are looking to defer or not come next year. 20% of that filthy lucre they charge will be missing, the knock on effect from that is going to be huge.

It will be interesting to see how they manage this. I agree that blended learning isn’t right for everyone though and many will re-evaluate their choices.

Absolutely. However the choices are going to be limited at every level.

I have to say I feel no pity for a lot of the establishments that have had our kids over a barrel with their extortionate fees. Let's face it some of the Dean's are earning in excess of 300 upto 500 k a year "

An important factor. As someone said earlier - students are a cash-cow.

"1 out of 5 foreign students are looking to defer or not come next year. 20% of that filthy lucre they charge will be missing, the knock on effect from that is going to be huge."

It is and I think it’s being underestimated at the moment. The expectation seems to be that students should just go along with it.

Medical.A number of universities won't survive without new student numbers xx

Most of the red brick universities are going to be hit...but internationals are allowed to come as long as they quarantine for 2 weeks prior. I think there will be a transition from blended to normal by second semester xx

By *issy and GingeCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Personally I don’t think I would have got on with distance learning. If your on a more creative course you need the feedback of the lecturers. Plus there are projects and often lab works to do.

Another point not raised so far are sandwich courses and professional placement. Many degrees require this to complete the course my degree certainly did.

"Personally I don’t think I would have got on with distance learning. If your on a more creative course you need the feedback of the lecturers. Plus there are projects and often lab works to do.

Another point not raised so far are sandwich courses and professional placement. Many degrees require this to complete the course my degree certainly did."

These are the types of things that need to be addressed. Clarity is needed before people commit to spending so much money.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

How can science students do lab experiments on line ?

"How can science students do lab experiments on line ?"

Good question. Who knows?

By *s_bettyboopWoman  over a year ago

"How can science students do lab experiments on line ?

Good question. Who knows? "

It probably will not be able to happen. The way the open university do it, they have residential school for lab work on its Science courses a few days a year.

"How can science students do lab experiments on line ?"

Depends on what they are trying to explain. I done OU science and the science experiments are either recorded or home experiments.

By *racy_JacksWoman  over a year ago

Derby

So far the government have adopted a ‘wait and see’ approach with respect to providing financial support for higher education. A loss of 2.5 billion in tuition fees has been forecast and without assistance, some places will be on the brink. Students need clarity about what to expect next year so now is the time for the government to work with the sector.

I still haven’t seen any reports about Leeds Beckett but Cambridge have said that big lectures will be online and seminars face to face. Unless it is absolutely necessary with lockdown rules at the time, it is highly unlikely that any institution would choose to be entirely online in Autumn, as reported by the OP.

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

Open university courses are cheaper. "

OU courses are much less highly valued by some employers,and of course the OU has no equivalent to the traditional milk round

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"Most of the red brick universities are going to be hit...but internationals are allowed to come as long as they quarantine for 2 weeks prior. I think there will be a transition from blended to normal by second semester xx "
I think it more likely that the smaller concretes will be the ones to suffer rather than red bricks or Russell Group universities. Up here my money is on Sunderland either going under or becoming a teaching campus for Northumbria (or CUNT, as some older locals still call it)...

I'm starting university this September for the first time and the first term is all going to be online it is actually a bit of a relief for me

"I'm starting university this September for the first time and the first term is all going to be online it is actually a bit of a relief for me "

Is that because you’re worried about the virus?

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

On the Jeremy Vine show a couple of weeks ago a student said that their university's online course consisted of them watching recorded lectures from the year before. If the lecture wasn't recorded then it was just skipped. The emails to lecturers requesting help were met with 'out of office' replies.

"I'm starting university this September for the first time and the first term is all going to be online it is actually a bit of a relief for me

Is that because you’re worried about the virus? "

No more worried about going back into education

"I'm starting university this September for the first time and the first term is all going to be online it is actually a bit of a relief for me

Is that because you’re worried about the virus?

No more worried about going back into education "

That’s the scariest of all

"On the Jeremy Vine show a couple of weeks ago a student said that their university's online course consisted of them watching recorded lectures from the year before. If the lecture wasn't recorded then it was just skipped. The emails to lecturers requesting help were met with 'out of office' replies."

I am aware of people that have had similar experiences.

Yep but at least this way I have 3 months to get into the way of things from the comfort of my living room lol

"Yep but at least this way I have 3 months to get into the way of things from the comfort of my living room lol"

Are you concerned that you’re still paying the same?

No fees up here

"No fees up here "

Of course! lucky devils.

By *i funladyWoman  over a year ago

Durham

"It will save the kids a fortune in rent and alcohol. I reckon more universities will do the same. "

My daughter is going into her second year so had to sort out her accommodation in January so she and her room mates are now tied in to a contract starting in August no matter if the university is open or not.

They've had big issues with the online learning as well as how they're going to be graded as exams were cancelled so not a great way end her first year.

» Add a new message to this topic