FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Lost Stock

Lost Stock

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ady Lick OP   Woman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

So I read that fashion retailers like Gap, Top Shop etc have cancelled millions of pounds worth of orders from manufacturers in Bangladesh. This is having a terrible knock on effect on families over there. One factory owner says 'if coronaviris doesn't kill them starvation will'.

So they're doing a surprise box of a minimum of 3 items for £35, that money will feed a family for a week.

You fill in a questionnaire size, age etc and they choose your items for you. I've just ordered one. You'll have to Google it for the website address.

I'm hoping I get a bargain and it's just a nice thing thing to do innit?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A few key search words would help

Northampton Somewhere

"A few key search words would help "

Lost Stock

"A few key search words would help

Lost Stock "

Doh

£35 to feed a family for a week. We are moving to Bangladesh...

Northampton Somewhere

"A few key search words would help

Lost Stock

Doh "

x

Northampton Somewhere

"£35 to feed a family for a week. We are moving to Bangladesh..."

I know!

By *amaraBeaverbankWoman  over a year ago

Benidorm Spain

Brilliant idea but sadly they don’t ship to Spain. Hope they do well with this. It’s hard enough for us, and we’re (mostly) the lucky ones

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

The Website quotes £35 for a person, not a family.

"£35 to feed a family for a week. We are moving to Bangladesh...

The Website quotes £35 for a person, not a family."

Said a worker and his family.

OP, just ordered mine, thanks for this post.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

If they really cared they would give them a living wage to work in their sweatshops

If we really cared the likes of Topshop would have been forced out of business years ago when they were exposed of running inhuman sweatshops

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

The ramifications of the virus are far reaching.

I quite like the idea though

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

"If they really cared they would give them a living wage to work in their sweatshops

If we really cared the likes of Topshop would have been forced out of business years ago when they were exposed of running inhuman sweatshops"

Correct. Not going to argue with you on this one.

By *ovelybumCouple  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

You can feed a family of two even in UK with £35 if you're sensible.

I actually found it quite abhorrent the way large clothing companies like this treated their suppliers. As if the terms they impose on them weren’t bad enough, to then cancel and return orders in the way they did.

I guess that’s why their companies are huge and mine are only small. Because I treat my Far East suppliers with dignity. I pay fair money and I stood on every order I had made with them.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I'll be taking a more ethical stance once this is all over. Large multi-nationals that have shown no or little compassion, will not be getting my money in the future.

Has anyone received one of these boxes yet? I'm open to the idea but just curious.

By *ikilovesCCouple  over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

Great shout out for a good cause Op

"I actually found it quite abhorrent the way large clothing companies like this treated their suppliers. As if the terms they impose on them weren’t bad enough, to then cancel and return orders in the way they did.

I guess that’s why their companies are huge and mine are only small. Because I treat my Far East suppliers with dignity. I pay fair money and I stood on every order I had made with them."

Good on you, the clothing world needs more people like you

"I actually found it quite abhorrent the way large clothing companies like this treated their suppliers. As if the terms they impose on them weren’t bad enough, to then cancel and return orders in the way they did.

I guess that’s why their companies are huge and mine are only small. Because I treat my Far East suppliers with dignity. I pay fair money and I stood on every order I had made with them.

Good on you, the clothing world needs more people like you "

I’m not in clothing. I’m also no Good Samaritan. But to cancel and return orders in the way they did was just big bully boy tactics.

Who is actually selling these boxes the OP talks of ?

By *oirinMarkusCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands and West London

Done! Thanks for raising awareness OP, I had no idea this existed xx

kildare

If any of you really cared you wouldn't buy clothes in gap or Topshop etc

They run sweatshops so you can buy and throw away dirt cheap clothes

This thread is the limit in hypocrisy

I’m not in clothing. I’m also no Good Samaritan. But to cancel and return orders in the way they did was just big bully boy tactics.

Who is actually selling these boxes the OP talks of ?"

Sorry, I misunderstood lol, do a quick search on "lost stock" as can't post a link here

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

The above mentioned companies have been making millions in profit using the people in sweatshops to produce their products , The companies themselves should give something back and not rely on members of the public .

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

I guess that’s why their comtpanies are huge and mine are only small. Because I treat my Far East suppliers with dignity. I pay fair money and I stood on every order I had made with them.

Who is actually selling these boxes the OP talks of ?"

not just the clothing industry canceling orders.my firm had a dozen cancelled in the week or so before lockdown and firm i work for has also cancelled orders.no point buying stuff u cant sell spending money you dont have to when you trying to have a buisness left after all this.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

The article i found says the money will directly provide for families

Further down it says for every box sold, a donation will go to sajida to help people

I wonder how much of the money will actually filterdown to provide food. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've seen a lot of these "projects"

Still I suppose something is better than nothing when you're family is starving

"If any of you really cared you wouldn't buy clothes in gap or Topshop etc

This thread is the limit in hypocrisy"

Not everyone shops in those shops, prefer the small independent shops myself, anyway I'll refer you to the search term posted above

Well said, not to mention the wasteful behaviour of the fashion addicted fools, if Corvid hadn’t put a stop to all this ‘just for fat cat profit’, unnecessary World trade, with its high cost to the planet, it would be still continuing unquestioned in the main. People need to living, simpler lives and not be so materialistic if we are all to have a future.

Exactly

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

not just companys in Bangladesh company we both work for had orders for fine woolen cloth cancelled by M&S and demands made that current orders be fulfilled under threat of no repeat orders meaning we had to work for the first two weeks of lockdown .

[Removed by poster at 23/05/20 09:55:06]

"If any of you really cared you wouldn't buy clothes in gap or Topshop etc

This thread is the limit in hypocrisy

Not everyone shops in those shops, prefer the small independent shops myself, anyway I'll refer you to the search term posted above "

Exactly, I don't shop in those shops either. I see this as a good thing to do if it helps someone even a little bit. Don't care if my box turns up empty or not at all.

I guess that’s why their comtpanies are huge and mine are only small. Because I treat my Far East suppliers with dignity. I pay fair money and I stood on every order I had made with them.

not just the clothing industry canceling orders.my firm had a dozen cancelled in the week or so before lockdown and firm i work for has also cancelled orders.no point buying stuff u cant sell spending money you dont have to when you trying to have a buisness left after all this."

Were these orders your company cancelled bespoke orders made specifically for you ? With the manufacturer incurring large costs and working on extremely small profit margins.

"not just companys in Bangladesh company we both work for had orders for fine woolen cloth cancelled by M&S and demands made that current orders be fulfilled under threat of no repeat orders meaning we had to work for the first two weeks of lockdown . "

This is why I don’t entertain orders from large companies like this. They dictate unfair terms and usually take the piss completely when it comes to payment. I made the mistake many years ago of agreeing to supply Harrods, after agreeing 90 days payment terms I then had to chase over many months to finally receive payment. Never again

borehamwood

[Removed by poster at 23/05/20 10:10:43]

borehamwood

not just the clothing industry canceling orders.my firm had a dozen cancelled in the week or so before lockdown and firm i work for has also cancelled orders.no point buying stuff u cant sell spending money you dont have to when you trying to have a buisness left after all this.

Were these orders your company cancelled bespoke orders made specifically for you ? With the manufacturer incurring large costs and working on extremely small profit margins. "

the orders my employers cancelled were from our suppliers in china thats all i know as not in that part of the company.ourselves had at least a dozen orders cancelled in the week or so before lockdown from companys like selfredgies harrods and a 400grand order frim the states.lets be honest most firms are gona do whatever they need to do to make sure they have a company left

I’ve taken measures to ensure my company continues. But I’ve done it without knocking anyone or causing hardship on people. These boys are ruthless. They don’t give a shit about people working in third world countries and what their actions mean to those people. If I had to cause devastation on 1000s of people to ensure my business survived would I do that ?

borehamwood

unfortunatley firm i work for prob makes 60-70% of there money from march/april until end august to mid september so pretty much fucked for this year

I don’t fit in clothes from these shops so I don’t shop there but my point was in doing it you are just making a contribution to someone somewhere that is struggling.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"The article i found says the money will directly provide for families

Further down it says for every box sold, a donation will go to sajida to help people

I wonder how much of the money will actually filterdown to provide food. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've seen a lot of these "projects"

Still I suppose something is better than nothing when you're family is starving"

37% of the £38.99 goes to the charity.

Still I suppose something is better than nothing when you're family is starving"

there is a transparency section on their website where they break down how the money is spent

none of it appears to be profit, just product, running costs , postage and the donation

it doesn't say what how the foundation spend their money

ive just ordered a box and shared the link with my friends, its not an excessive cost, i get at least 3 items of clothing, they will be a surprise which is something to look forward to, a bit of fun and might shake up my thoughts on what i would normally buy for my wardrobe, they can go to the charity shop if completely not my taste and part of the funds went to a good cause ... its all win win as far as i can see

kildare

there is a transparency section on their website where they break down how the money is spent

none of it appears to be profit, just product, running costs , postage and the donation

ive just ordered a box and shared the link with my friends, its not an excessive cost, i get at least 3 items of clothing, they will be a surprise which is something to look forward to, a bit of fun and might shake up my thoughts on what i would normally buy for my wardrobe, they can go to the charity shop if completely not my taste and part of the funds went to a good cause ... its all win win as far as i can see

"

Running costs is profit

Help those ppl by not buying clothes in these criminal empires and make the business model fail

Running costs is profit

Help those ppl by not buying clothes in these criminal empires and make the business model fail"

i summarised as running costs, it said specifically transaction costs, staff costs, logistics and transportation

Running costs is profit

Help those ppl by not buying clothes in these criminal empires and make the business model fail

i summarised as running costs, it said specifically transaction costs, staff costs, logistics and transportation "

there is also for most people a middle ground between not giving a crap about the people on the other side of big business and making our own clothes from hemp we grow ourselves

perhaps allow people to make their own choices about how they choose to do good

the wetlands

"

I beg to differ

The thread is "lost clothing"

The amount they are donating means someone is making a very very handsome profit from clothing that probably cost less than a tenner to produce in the first place and would otherwise be a ckmplete write off.

I'm out

the wetlands

Sorry "lost stock"

I beg to differ

The thread is "lost clothing"

The amount they are donating means someone is making a very very handsome profit from clothing that probably cost less than a tenner to produce in the first place and would otherwise be a ckmplete write off.

I'm out"

a 3rd party has procured stock at a cheaper than high st price from big chains that would have been sending it to landfill... if that happened the clothes are in landfill , the charity gets nothing, the big business will increase their prices to recoup the loss meaning products cost more still without any extra going to the people making the garments ... i don't see how avoiding on the principal that its better it should be written off is really that great a principal to stand by ... its pretty much letting all the other parties lose out just to try stick it to the man (i guess in this scenario top shop etc) when the man will just find another way to recoup the cost and in reality be the only one that doesn't lose out

[Removed by poster at 23/05/20 11:15:00]

"i never understand why people want to crap all over someone trying to do something positive for it “not being enough”

i don't just specifically mean this initiative , but in general surely it is better for many people to do something positive than for a only a to do only positive ? "

I agree with you

"i never understand why people want to crap all over someone trying to do something positive for it “not being enough”

i don't just specifically mean this initiative , but in general surely it is better for many people to do something positive than for a only a to do only positive ? "

*only a few

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

I guess that’s why their companies are huge and mine are only small. Because I treat my Far East suppliers with dignity. I pay fair money and I stood on every order I had made with them."

That is very commendable and we take our hats off to you.But do you know if your far east suppliers treat their staff with the same dignity and fairness?

Yes I do. Because I regularly visit the factories. But I don’t work in the rag trade so it’s not sweatshop clothing factories I deal with.

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

"Yes I do. Because I regularly visit the factories. But I don’t work in the rag trade so it’s not sweatshop clothing factories I deal with. "

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Good promotion of how ee can help to redress the impact of our businesses control and harm upon those less fortunate than we largely are here.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it's a great idea. And this might help support the workers while not supporting the horrendous practices that have led to this. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Northampton Somewhere

I'm a bit sad but not surprised that some people feel the way they do about large companies and how how they source their product.

Thanks to the people who see this as a good thing

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm a bit sad but not surprised that some people feel the way they do about large companies and how how they source their product.

Thanks to the people who see this as a good thing "

I'm inclined to get a box and find out what companies have done this so I can boycott in future

"I'm a bit sad but not surprised that some people feel the way they do about large companies and how how they source their product.

Thanks to the people who see this as a good thing "

I think the thing you posted about is a good thing if it’s helping the factory workers in Bangladesh.

But the companies that have caused this hardship by the way they treat their third world suppliers is disgusting and should be called out.

Northampton Somewhere

Thanks to the people who see this as a good thing

I think the thing you posted about is a good thing if it’s helping the factory workers in Bangladesh.

But the companies that have caused this hardship by the way they treat their third world suppliers is disgusting and should be called out. "

For sure

» Add a new message to this topic