FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Furlough/SSP

Furlough/SSP

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *nM Fantasy seekers OP   Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

As a key worker I don't think it's fair that the people who have been furloughed and can't work from home get 80% of their wages and NHS on full pay off sick but if I had to catch the virus and then have to stay home I'm only entitled to SSP!

What is everyone else's opinion?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Agree with you. It’s very poor on your employers part to only pay SSP in the current circumstances

Glasgow

"Agree with you. It’s very poor on your employers part to only pay SSP in the current circumstances "

Out with these circumstances yes SSP would be acceptable but I'm still having to work through these scary times and there are people who stay at home and still get paid! I'm glad I'm still able to work but it pisses me off if I had to get covid19 I only get Ssp

"Agree with you. It’s very poor on your employers part to only pay SSP in the current circumstances

Out with these circumstances yes SSP would be acceptable but I'm still having to work through these scary times and there are people who stay at home and still get paid! I'm glad I'm still able to work but it pisses me off if I had to get covid19 I only get Ssp "

I've been furloughed. It's not my choice. I'm perfectly able to work from home, but at the moment the company can't afford to keep me on. If the furlough scheme didn't exist, I'd have been made redundant. I'm not on some taxpayer-funded jolly, it's a job retention program, trying to limit the rise in unemployment that's coming.

Glasgow

"Agree with you. It’s very poor on your employers part to only pay SSP in the current circumstances

Out with these circumstances yes SSP would be acceptable but I'm still having to work through these scary times and there are people who stay at home and still get paid! I'm glad I'm still able to work but it pisses me off if I had to get covid19 I only get Ssp

I've been furloughed. It's not my choice. I'm perfectly able to work from home, but at the moment the company can't afford to keep me on. If the furlough scheme didn't exist, I'd have been made redundant. I'm not on some taxpayer-funded jolly, it's a job retention program, trying to limit the rise in unemployment that's coming."

My place of work supplies the nhs and care home etc with their medication so i have no choice but to go work. I'm not having a go at the furlough scheme and people who can't work just now I just don't think it's fair that i would end up worse off than the people who have to stay at home with 80% wages and I'm out risking my own life and that of my families too x

I've been furloughed. It's not my choice. I'm perfectly able to work from home, but at the moment the company can't afford to keep me on. If the furlough scheme didn't exist, I'd have been made redundant. I'm not on some taxpayer-funded jolly, it's a job retention program, trying to limit the rise in unemployment that's coming.

My place of work supplies the nhs and care home etc with their medication so i have no choice but to go work. I'm not having a go at the furlough scheme and people who can't work just now I just don't think it's fair that i would end up worse off than the people who have to stay at home with 80% wages and I'm out risking my own life and that of my families too x"

Your OP does make it sound like you think the furlough scheme and NHS sick pay unfair, rather than making it clear you’re having a moan about your employee

I'm a care worker and am fortunate to get full sick pay were I to need it. Yes it's shit but that's the fault of your employer whom you chose to work for. Furloughed staff did not choose to be furloughed and NHS staff deserve full sick pay as i.m.o do all staff, but it's noone elses fault that your employer is choosing to only give ssp to staff on sick leave.

Glasgow

My place of work supplies the nhs and care home etc with their medication so i have no choice but to go work. I'm not having a go at the furlough scheme and people who can't work just now I just don't think it's fair that i would end up worse off than the people who have to stay at home with 80% wages and I'm out risking my own life and that of my families too x

Your OP does make it sound like you think the furlough scheme and NHS sick pay unfair, rather than making it clear you’re having a moan about your employee "

I didn't mean it to come across like that (alcohol fizzled brain lol) I just meant that if I had to get covid19 and be off sick then I should get the same pay as furloughed staff 80% of wage instead of a quarter of my monthly wage with SSP

Sorry if I have offended anyone x

By *ete1260Man  over a year ago

Evesham

For some, furlough is very generous - 80% of pay and no work or travel costs - and the chance of alternative employment on top.

By *s.KerryTV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

" For some, furlough is very generous - 80% of pay and no work or travel costs - and the chance of alternative employment on top."

Where do you get the "chance of alternative employment" from? Most if not all firms who have furloughed their staff do not allow them to seek work paid elsewhere

Evesham

" For some, furlough is very generous - 80% of pay and no work or travel costs - and the chance of alternative employment on top.

Where do you get the "chance of alternative employment" from? Most if not all firms who have furloughed their staff do not allow them to seek work paid elsewhere"

The Government gives employees that absolute right - it is the Government funding furlough and making the rules - not Employers !

" For some, furlough is very generous - 80% of pay and no work or travel costs - and the chance of alternative employment on top.

Where do you get the "chance of alternative employment" from? Most if not all firms who have furloughed their staff do not allow them to seek work paid elsewhere The Government gives employees that absolute right - it is the Government funding furlough and making the rules - not Employers !"

Not quite. The Gov't rules are that you can take additional employment but only if your employment contract allows.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I think many furloughed staff will find them selves redundant when the scheme stops if we don't actively get businesses trading again ASAP. ( and I do mean in a safe way)

By *s.KerryTV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

Where do you get the "chance of alternative employment" from? Most if not all firms who have furloughed their staff do not allow them to seek work paid elsewhere The Government gives employees that absolute right - it is the Government funding furlough and making the rules - not Employers !"

The government, whether financing furlough or not, can not make changes to your contract of employment! Most companies, mine included, have stipulated you must be available for work at any time and therefore should NOT seek employment elsewhere

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

have had e mail from work there hoping to open our place end july beginging of august as until airport shops open back up we have no sales.at mo only boots the chemist are still open in airports and that is it.also been told they will only be unfurlouing some of us to start with as they wont be making enough money to pay us all if they bring us all back at once.hopefully i be one taken back on as redundaces are looking more and more likley

By *ikilovesCCouple  over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

Your OP does make it sound like you think the furlough scheme and NHS sick pay unfair, rather than making it clear you’re having a moan about your employee

I didn't mean it to come across like that (alcohol fizzled brain lol) I just meant that if I had to get covid19 and be off sick then I should get the same pay as furloughed staff 80% of wage instead of a quarter of my monthly wage with SSP

Sorry if I have offended anyone x"

I got what you were meaning lol, you're quite right and it can't be defended in the best of times never mind the current situation

"As a key worker I don't think it's fair that the people who have been furloughed and can't work from home get 80% of their wages and NHS on full pay off sick but if I had to catch the virus and then have to stay home I'm only entitled to SSP!

"

I have never found life to be fair, so I say suck it up buttercup and smile. Accepting what life offers you or throws at you is better for you. That's not to say you cannot vent. Nor accept something if you can do something about it (even if not for yourself but for others).

My place of work supplies the nhs and care home etc with their medication so i have no choice but to go work. I'm not having a go at the furlough scheme and people who can't work just now I just don't think it's fair that i would end up worse off than the people who have to stay at home with 80% wages and I'm out risking my own life and that of my families too x"

Your silver lining is that you're not on the front line. I appreciate that doesn't remove fear/anxiety. And hopefully you're not in the high risk groups.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

I think it’d be wise for anyone who’s furloughed at the moment to be looking for another job...

Sorry if I have offended anyone x"

You're allowed to vent

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"As a key worker I don't think it's fair that the people who have been furloughed and can't work from home get 80% of their wages and NHS on full pay off sick but if I had to catch the virus and then have to stay home I'm only entitled to SSP!

I have never found life to be fair, so I say suck it up buttercup and smile. Accepting what life offers you or throws at you is better for you. That's not to say you cannot vent. Nor accept something if you can do something about it (even if not for yourself but for others). "

This ...

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"I have never found life to be fair, so I say suck it up buttercup and smile. Accepting what life offers you or throws at you is better for you."

This was good enough advice for the miners, shipbuilders and steelworkers in the 1980s; and it's good enough for those who recently made a living from aviation, tourism, sport and other entertainment.

They'll tough it out.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

If the so called R rate is now .4 in London why are they not back at work ?? Rather than down the beach

I have never found life to be fair, so I say suck it up buttercup and smile. Accepting what life offers you or throws at you is better for you. That's not to say you cannot vent. Nor accept something if you can do something about it (even if not for yourself but for others).

This ... "

The serenity prayer says it better:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

and Wisdom to know the difference

Evesham

"If the so called R rate is now .4 in London why are they not back at work ?? Rather than down the beach"
That's another country (or world) isn't it !

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"I have never found life to be fair, so I say suck it up buttercup and smile. Accepting what life offers you or throws at you is better for you.

This was good enough advice for the miners, shipbuilders and steelworkers in the 1980s; and it's good enough for those who recently made a living from aviation, tourism, sport and other entertainment.

They'll tough it out."

yep most will tough it out.myself redundancy is looking more and more likley.wont be the first time i been made redundant and prob not the last either.will just have to tske what i can find until i find something i actually want to do.bills still need paying

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to devise a scheme in a short space of time that is fair to everyone.

My sister is the only person who is working in a small chain of pubs and restaurants. Everyone else including the directors are on furlough. That's about 200 people, she's the financial controller so in charge of claiming the furlough payment, working out cash flow for these business loans, working out which suppliers to pay etc etc.

She's very busy while in their WhatsApp group everyone else is taking pics of them in the garden or at the beach and she's only getting 20% more of her wages for working about 50 hours every week.

Luckily she sees it as that's her job and she is kind of making sure there is a business to come back to. She is also hoping for a reward when this is all over.

"I think it’d be wise for anyone who’s furloughed at the moment to be looking for another job... "

These are my thoughts currently. Even though I am due to go back in a fortnight there is no way they are going to need as many of us as they have for what is going to be a massively reduced work load.

"

OP not only do I think you guys should get full pay, I think you should get danger pay. Plus the increase Johnson didn't give you guys in January.

Hopefully when the airlines get going again and we can travel the airlines will see the good PR in giving you all free flights for the hard work you've put in. Heaven knows you all need a holiday!

OP not only do I think you guys should get full pay, I think you should get danger pay. Plus the increase Johnson didn't give you guys in January.

Hopefully when the airlines get going again and we can travel the airlines will see the good PR in giving you all free flights for the hard work you've put in. Heaven knows you all need a holiday!"

OP is a key worker not front line staff. The difference is actually being exposed to cv19 multiple times every shift for long periods. Not potentially being exposed

and briefly. Still very scary though.

Hopefully when the airlines get going again and we can travel the airlines will see the good PR in giving you all free flights for the hard work you've put in. Heaven knows you all need a holiday!

OP is a key worker not front line staff. The difference is actually being exposed to cv19 multiple times every shift for long periods. Not potentially being exposed

and briefly. Still very scary though. "

Sorry misread that.

Still believe what I said about NHS. They need some recognition, and just a handclap.

Sorry misread that.

Still believe what I said about NHS. They need some recognition, and just a handclap."

I thought as much. And to add I'm not trying to belittle the OP's experiences or her anxiety - that is very real. The NHS staff (covid wards, ED, ICU) actually battle with the virus day in day out. Some have separated from their families to reduce risk to them. Can we even begin to comprehend their sacrifices?

Sorry misread that.

Still believe what I said about NHS. They need some recognition, and just a handclap.

I thought as much. And to add I'm not trying to belittle the OP's experiences or her anxiety - that is very real. The NHS staff (covid wards, ED, ICU) actually battle with the virus day in day out. Some have separated from their families to reduce risk to them. Can we even begin to comprehend their sacrifices? "

Then you have care workers dealing with it without the specialised ppe.

Sorry misread that.

I thought as much. And to add I'm not trying to belittle the OP's experiences or her anxiety - that is very real. The NHS staff (covid wards, ED, ICU) actually battle with the virus day in day out. Some have separated from their families to reduce risk to them. Can we even begin to comprehend their sacrifices?

Then you have care workers dealing with it without the specialised ppe."

Don't get me started on PPE for any group that has needed it.

Its caused my wife and I to contract the virus.

"Its caused my wife and I to contract the virus."

"Its caused my wife and I to contract the virus.

"

We are both over it now

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think a universal income scheme would have been a better introduction than some of what we've had, where some people have nothing, others get less like the op, etc.

By *oldilox and the BearCouple  over a year ago

Scottish Borders

" For some, furlough is very generous - 80% of pay and no work or travel costs - and the chance of alternative employment on top."
Yep totally agree. We have supply chain companies who have had staff requesting furlough as it saves them money! Can't wait for the percentage to be cut, think 80% was to high, 70% might have changed the people's views. Think they will all rush back to work and our back orders.

" For some, furlough is very generous - 80% of pay and no work or travel costs - and the chance of alternative employment on top. Yep totally agree. We have supply chain companies who have had staff requesting furlough as it saves them money! Can't wait for the percentage to be cut, think 80% was to high, 70% might have changed the people's views. Think they will all rush back to work and our back orders."

The mrs has been working right through.

The mr was on furlough and wasnt allowed find alternative work at all.

Furlough was not a holiday at all.

The mr is back at work now but we are both thankful for the furlough scheme it kept our heads above water.

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple  over a year ago

stockport

Hmrc guidelines state:

If you’re on sick leave or self-isolating because of coronavirus (COVID-19), speak to your employer about whether you’re eligible to be furloughed – you should get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) as a minimum while you are on sick leave or self isolating. Your employer can furlough you at any time- if they do, you will no longer receive sick pay, but should be treated as any other furloughed employee.

Employers can claim a maximum of 2 weeks ssp back from the government to help cover the costs or use the job retention scheme but it is between the employee and employer and if the employee is registered under PAYE with HMRC on or before 19/3/20

This is why track and trace is a load of crap. Who's going to say they are ill and self isolate on 66 quid a week.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

I assumed those that work in the NHS got full sick pay not just SSP! Is that definitely not the case ?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"This is why track and trace is a load of crap. Who's going to say they are ill and self isolate on 66 quid a week. "

Because if the company finds out then you'll be on job seekers allowance and hopefully in court if you recover ?

By *andAukCouple  over a year ago

leeds

"This is why track and trace is a load of crap. Who's going to say they are ill and self isolate on 66 quid a week.

Because if the company finds out then you'll be on job seekers allowance and hopefully in court if you recover ?"

You could just say that you thought you had a cold though. Before they changed the symptoms girl my missus works with said she lost sense of taste and smell. As it wasn't a sympton then she carried on working. In the meantime the numbers of staff that then were off with suspected covid rose dramatically Ann-Marie included. She then passed this to me... They are key retail workers so potentially this was passed on to hundreds of members of the public, and we think that the infection in store started with this one girl who continued to work and not isolate. She still has her job. There is also a married couple that work there. The wife was off with suspected but they allowed the husband to continue working utter madness.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Hmrc guidelines state:

If you’re on sick leave or self-isolating because of coronavirus (COVID-19), speak to your employer about whether you’re eligible to be furloughed – you should get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) as a minimum while you are on sick leave or self isolating. Your employer can furlough you at any time- if they do, you will no longer receive sick pay, but should be treated as any other furloughed employee.

Employers can claim a maximum of 2 weeks ssp back from the government to help cover the costs or use the job retention scheme but it is between the employee and employer and if the employee is registered under PAYE with HMRC on or before 19/3/20

"

I didn't realise you could be back on furlough if you have to self isolate. We've been told we'll get ssp if we're off for that reason ~ all while quite a few people haven't come back to work for various reasons

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple  over a year ago

stockport

"Hmrc guidelines state:

I didn't realise you could be back on furlough if you have to self isolate. We've been told we'll get ssp if we're off for that reason ~ all while quite a few people haven't come back to work for various reasons "

The guidelines for employees and employers are all there on hmrc web page and very helpful

If your employee is self-isolating or on sick leave

If your employee is on sick leave or self-isolating as a result of Coronavirus, they’ll be able to get Statutory Sick Pay, subject to other eligibility conditions applying. The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is not intended for short-term absences from work due to sickness, and there is a 3 week minimum furlough period.

Short term illness/self-isolation should not be a consideration in deciding whether to furlough an employee. If, however, employers want to furlough employees for business reasons and they are currently off sick, they are eligible to do so, as with other employees. In these cases, the employee should no longer receive sick pay and would be classified as a furloughed employee.

Employers are also entitled to furlough employees who are being shielded or off on long-term sick leave. It is up to employers to decide whether to furlough these employees. You can claim back from both the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and the SSP rebate scheme for the same employee but not for the same period of time. When an employee is on furlough, you can only reclaim expenditure through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and not the SSP rebate scheme. If a non-furloughed employee becomes ill, needs to self-isolate or be shielded, then you might qualify for the SSP rebate scheme, enabling you to claim up to two weeks of SSP per employee.

"This is why track and trace is a load of crap. Who's going to say they are ill and self isolate on 66 quid a week.

Because if the company finds out then you'll be on job seekers allowance and hopefully in court if you recover ?"

What if you get a call to self isolate with no signs ok 2 weeks no money again. Yer right.

By *andAukCouple  over a year ago

leeds

Because if the company finds out then you'll be on job seekers allowance and hopefully in court if you recover ?What if you get a call to self isolate with no signs ok 2 weeks no money again. Yer right. "

Have to agree, don't think people will isolate. There needs to be more done to support people should this haapen. Don't think you'd even qualify for ssp under these circumstances. They have said with track and trace though you'd be sent a test and hopefully have results back ASAP, so at least you'd know if you can return to work.

» Add a new message to this topic