FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Testing accuracy

Testing accuracy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he-Hosiery-Gent OP   Man  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

I got tested for one of the Covid-19 IgA/IgM antibody tests at work the other day. Was a finger prick blood one. Not sure which though. The bumf I was given says a positive result indicates you are likely to be infected with the virus even though you may not be showing symptoms. Apparently I was positive, so was sent home. I was asymptomatic.

Shortly after I booked online for a nasal and swab test at one of the drive-in centres. Results received today. I’ve tested negative.

When I go back to work I will be asking questions. I thought any of the antibody blood tests only indicate whether you have had the virus, not whether you actually have it right now.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A blood antibody test checks for whether you have had it, the nasal swab test checks for if you are currently infected.

Was your test an instant thing or did they have to send away for lab analysis?

"A blood antibody test checks for whether you have had it, the nasal swab test checks for if you are currently infected."

That's what I thought, but the paperwork I was given at work states as above in my original post.

"Was your test an instant thing or did they have to send away for lab analysis?"

The work test took 20 minutes. Tested at 7am, Thursday.

The swab test was lab tested. Received result this morning. Got tested at 1pm, Thursday.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I would assume from what you have told us that you have had it in the past but currently don't.

By *ouple0884Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

Or maybe they just wanted you out of the way for a week

They'd tested about 60 people at the point I was tested, I think including me, 15 had tested supposedly positive. At this rate, they won't have enough staff left. Lol.

By *ouple0884Couple  over a year ago

nottingham

Lol brilliant, you just know someone is going to say last week wasn't very productive

Also the finger prick tests were rejected due to significant proportion giving wrong results (bith ways). They are NOT NHS tests. One wonders why your company wasted money on getting them? As far as I'm aware there is no finger prick test for current infection.

I was ill in January for most of the month, but, I didn't have the specific symptoms associated with it.

Had a cough, but it wasn't dry, I was coughing up a lot of phlegm. No fever. Nothing else.

By *ntelligent Gent.Man  over a year ago

Glad you're well

"Glad you're well"

Oh, cheers fella. Best to you, too.

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

As far as I was aware an antigen test is one to see whether you are currently infected (eg nasal/throat swab) and an antibody text is one to see whether you have had the virus (eg blood test).

I don't think the firm you are working for have quite got it have they. The finger prick test would prove you have had it in the past and whoopee for them as you are not likely to transmit it to anyone else as you have got some immunity at the moment. They didn't really have to send you for a swab test did they ?

However the fact your swab test was negative corroborates the fact you don't currently have it so whoopee for them again. It's a win win for you and a cause for some optimism.

Pretty sure that is how it should work.

"I don't think the firm you are working for have quite got it have they. The finger prick test would prove you have had it in the past and whoopee for them as you are not likely to transmit it to anyone else as you have got some immunity at the moment. They didn't really have to send you for a swab test did they ?

However the fact your swab test was negative corroborates the fact you don't currently have it so whoopee for them again. It's a win win for you and a cause for some optimism.

Pretty sure that is how it should work."

I went off my own back to get the swab test, purely because I'm not convinced about the finger prick one they did.

They were saying, it tells you whether you've got it, or whether you currently have it.

Like you, I thought any of the finger prick blood tests are only able to tell whether you have had it. That is all.

Looking good for me then, like you say. Will push for more clarity when I return next Friday. Until then I may as well enjoy the week off they've given me on full pay!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

To date, the blood tests in use processed in labs, have given the highest levels of accuracy - where they have been NHS approved testing schemes.

Whilst we're still learning about the virus and the disease, it's been thought that someone is unlikely to be infectious once they are testing positive with antibodies. There may be a little overlap whilst infectious and whilst we are producing antibodies. We'd have to check this.

Having antibodies doesn't mean that we have immunity though and certainly not for a long period - this is all uncertain still.

Other coronaviruses, such as the common cold, we can acquire a short term immunity but become prey to reinfection again.

I'm guessing that the employer is wanting to gain a clearer understanding of the state of its staff, as well as to manage potential damage to staff and the business, from infections. They have perhaps not understood the testing differences etc or had it over-sold to them, in terms of what it's capable of doing and its results meaning.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"I got tested for one of the Covid-19 IgA/IgM antibody tests at work the other day. Was a finger prick blood one. Not sure which though. The bumf I was given says a positive result indicates you are likely to be infected with the virus even though you may not be showing symptoms. Apparently I was positive, so was sent home. I was asymptomatic.

Shortly after I booked online for a nasal and swab test at one of the drive-in centres. Results received today. I’ve tested negative.

When I go back to work I will be asking questions. I thought any of the antibody blood tests only indicate whether you have had the virus, not whether you actually have it right now.

"

You could report them to the MHRA as requested on their website for using non certified unapproved and potentially dangerous tests. How can you be sure the needle was sterile ?

Swab test - Do you CURRENTLY have Covid.

Antibody test - Have you HAD Covid.

In general, swab tests use PCR and require laboratory facilities to process. Performed & processed correctly these are nearly 100% accurate.

Antibody testing can take one of two forms - Lab based or 'instant'. Lab based tests (like the ones recently approved in the UK from Abbott & Roche)are between 87 & 99% accurate depending on who's data you believe.

Instant (lateral Flow) tests are considerably less accurate and as far as I know none have been approved for UK use as yet.

You employer should not be offering 'instant' testing using these kits and should not be making unsubstantiated and inaccurate claims about the results.

» Add a new message to this topic