FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Govt Handouts

Govt Handouts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Why should self employed people get govt handouts while folks who work for an employer have to continue to graft harder by working from home?

Shop keepers who never declared their real income due to cash in hand, are getting grants to sit on their arses for 3 months, and the burden will be payed in the long term by employees who get paid through PAYE, while shopkeepers will return to their undeclaring ways when lockdown ends.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Oh dear OP.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Don't feed the troll.

By *s.KerryTV/TS  over a year ago

Blackpool

"Don't feed the troll."

Falkirk

Is that a new version of the feeding the horse dance move?

What?

Happy to be set straight if I've missed something

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

"What?

Happy to be set straight if I've missed something"

Lol yea yea OP your willing to be set straight

Next..............

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"What?

Happy to be set straight if I've missed something"

As a self employed person I've never worked so hard or been responsible for so much. Employment was far easier and less stressful. I've always paid tax correctly, have had no handouts and I'm working extremely hard to find solutions to the current situation. The tax burden will fall on everyone including the self employed.

Falkirk

"What?

As a self employed person I've never worked so hard or been responsible for so much. Employment was far easier and less stressful. I've always paid tax correctly, have had no handouts and I'm working extremely hard to find solutions to the current situation. The tax burden will fall on everyone including the self employed. "

To late you took the bait

Galaxy Far Far Away

"What?

As a self employed person I've never worked so hard or been responsible for so much. Employment was far easier and less stressful. I've always paid tax correctly, have had no handouts and I'm working extremely hard to find solutions to the current situation. The tax burden will fall on everyone including the self employed.

To late you took the bait "

Just stating facts...could say a lot more but looking at other peoples comments it wouldn't be worth it. Anyway, I'm starting work now so won't be commenting any more as I'm unlikely to finish before 8pm.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I have worked from home and also been to work during the whole lockdown.

I consider myself lucky to have my job and don’t worry about others.

It must be extremely hard for the self employed right now with the uncertainty good luck to everybody.

I live a couple of miles from a thriving market town and seeing it closed up is horrible. I really feel for the shopkeepers. I don’t see many reopening

Agree with both points, and there are many who have paid their share of tax, thats whatbit should be, but they still took the risk to be self emploted, so why get free money when the chips are down?

I know people who have had shops for over 30 years,and never declared their correct income, and payed a pittance of what I have paid over the years.

Now these same folks are doing sod all, sunning themselves in their gardens, in their million plus houses, (cos of the little tax theybpaid over the years) whilst getting government grants to do so, why?

They chose to take the risk and be self employed, why pay them money for nothing?

And those same people I know have been opening their shops 2 times a week, paying furlough to their staff, gov funded again, and getting their own govt grants too.

And THEY Will be opening come mid June

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Agree with both points, and there are many who have paid their share of tax, thats whatbit should be, but they still took the risk to be self emploted, so why get free money when the chips are down?

I know people who have had shops for over 30 years,and never declared their correct income, and payed a pittance of what I have paid over the years.

Now these same folks are doing sod all, sunning themselves in their gardens, in their million plus houses, (cos of the little tax theybpaid over the years) whilst getting government grants to do so, why?

They chose to take the risk and be self employed, why pay them money for nothing?"

Maybe you should have done something about them evading tax for 30 yrs rather than vent your frustration in a scattergun approach..?

There are and will be those who milk the system in all criteria and status however whatever your own issues are ranting generalised claims against one group only is strange..

Btw, only ever been paye..

Falkirk

"Agree with both points, and there are many who have paid their share of tax, thats whatbit should be, but they still took the risk to be self emploted, so why get free money when the chips are down?

They chose to take the risk and be self employed, why pay them money for nothing?"

Where are you getting this free money idea from?

"Why should self employed people get govt handouts while folks who work for an employer have to continue to graft harder by working from home?

Shop keepers who never declared their real income due to cash in hand, are getting grants to sit on their arses for 3 months, and the burden will be payed in the long term by employees who get paid through PAYE, while shopkeepers will return to their undeclaring ways when lockdown ends.

"

Hahah yeah I'm self employed..thanks for the help ! Been the best 3 months off I've had.

Hope you get back to work soon and the government take any tax they want from you, before you see any of the money..mug

"What?

To late you took the bait

Just stating facts...could say a lot more but looking at other peoples comments it wouldn't be worth it. Anyway, I'm starting work now so won't be commenting any more as I'm unlikely to finish before 8pm."

Thanks you. You deserve a clap on a thursday too. Hugs xxx

They chose to take the risk and be self employed, why pay them money for nothing?

Where are you getting this free money idea from?"

From the fact that they tell me they got their government grants come through, which they dont need to pay back.

And its not about grassing them up either. I just dont understand why people who took the risk to be self employed now get bailed out by the govt.

If there are handouts, then it should apply to ALL.

If the employed lose their jobs because of covid redundancies, they should also get 3 months govt funded pay.

Why only the self employed?

Falkirk

From the fact that they tell me they got their government grants come through, which they dont need to pay back.

And its not about grassing them up either. I just dont understand why people who took the risk to be self employed now get bailed out by the govt.

If the employed lose their jobs because of covid redundancies, they should also get 3 months govt funded pay.

Why only the self employed?"

Not to be rude but you don't really understand what you are talking about do you?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

people who get made redundent will get redudancy why would the gov give them more money on top of that? i been off since 25th march and its looking more and more ikley i wont be going back.until airports go back to normal and they start opening the stores in them. then we dont have any stores open.at the mo you have boots the chemist open and that is it

By *aughtyloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

I was under the impression that if you didn’t declare earnings to the taxman there wouldn’t be much of a handout. It’s all average earnings of what you say you have earned or declared to HMRC

Not to be rude but you don't really understand what you are talking about do you?"

Please enlighten me, genuinely,happy to be informed

I was under the impression that if you didn’t declare earnings to the taxman there wouldn’t be much of a handout. It’s all average earnings of what you say you have earned or declared to HMRC"

Correct, so their handout is based on what they declared over the years, which is far less than they should have, but still enough for a decent handout.

My point is, why do the self employed only get a handout?

Falkirk

I was under the impression that if you didn’t declare earnings to the taxman there wouldn’t be much of a handout. It’s all average earnings of what you say you have earned or declared to HMRC"

Bingo

"people who get made redundent will get redudancy why would the gov give them more money on top of that? i been off since 25th march and its looking more and more ikley i wont be going back.until airports go back to normal and they start opening the stores in them. then we dont have any stores open.at the mo you have boots the chemist open and that is it"

My point exactly. Redundancy policies are different fpr each firm. Most firms try to get away with statutory which is a pittance,and nowhere near enough in these times until someone finds another job.

Again, why only the self employed and not for all?

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

Why shouldn’t self employed people get help ? I was told to stop working as it’s not essential I’m up to date with my ni contributions and vat etc why shouldn’t I be entitled to help and no I don’t feel guilty for taking my cash whilst sat at home on my arse watching Netflix and looking on the fab forums

I was under the impression that if you didn’t declare earnings to the taxman there wouldn’t be much of a handout. It’s all average earnings of what you say you have earned or declared to HMRC

Bingo "

Look above please

Falkirk

Well if you understand that why question the so called hand outs?

"Why shouldn’t self employed people get help ? I was told to stop working as it’s not essential I’m up to date with my ni contributions and vat etc why shouldn’t I be entitled to help and no I don’t feel guilty for taking my cash whilst sat at home on my arse watching Netflix and looking on the fab forums "

Ok. So if the self employed get help, then so should the employed when made redundant to the same rules as self employed.

"Well if you understand that why question the so called hand outs?"

So it should apply to all. Self employed who have had to genuinely close their business, and the employed who are made redundant

Falkirk

"Why shouldn’t self employed people get help ? I was told to stop working as it’s not essential I’m up to date with my ni contributions and vat etc why shouldn’t I be entitled to help and no I don’t feel guilty for taking my cash whilst sat at home on my arse watching Netflix and looking on the fab forums

Ok. So if the self employed get help, then so should the employed when made redundant to the same rules as self employed.

"

No its not the same rules.

darlington

"Why shouldn’t self employed people get help ? I was told to stop working as it’s not essential I’m up to date with my ni contributions and vat etc why shouldn’t I be entitled to help and no I don’t feel guilty for taking my cash whilst sat at home on my arse watching Netflix and looking on the fab forums

"

agreed

No its not the same rules. "

Why not?

These people have never paid the appropriate tax, and now they get paid for nothing from the correct taxes that I pay and will continue to pay.

darlington

Why not?

These people have never paid the appropriate tax, and now they get paid for nothing from the correct taxes that I pay and will continue to pay.

"

what makes you think self employed don’t pay the appropriate taxes I’m sure the inland revenue would quickly chase us up and believe me they don’t miss a trick

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

rolling my eyes

borehamwood

"people who get made redundent will get redudancy why would the gov give them more money on top of that? i been off since 25th march and its looking more and more ikley i wont be going back.until airports go back to normal and they start opening the stores in them. then we dont have any stores open.at the mo you have boots the chemist open and that is it

My point exactly. Redundancy policies are different fpr each firm. Most firms try to get away with statutory which is a pittance,and nowhere near enough in these times until someone finds another job.

Again, why only the self employed and not for all?"

thats for them to take up with there employer if they get statuary redundancy.myself last two firms i been laid off from ive had great payoffs.if i get made redundant again i will just sign on until i find something else.your making it sound if peeps get redundancy thats all they will have tolive on and thats just not true

By *aughtyloversCouple  over a year ago

Hull

Why not?

what makes you think self employed don’t pay the appropriate taxes I’m sure the inland revenue would quickly chase us up and believe me they don’t miss a trick "

Mrs naughty is self employed for over 30years guess what she has had off the government since she HAD to stop working ? Fuck all

Falkirk

Why not?

"

This is purely based on your own speculation and not on fact.

darlington

Personally I don’t see it as a handout if you’ve worked and paid in then tbh I think we should be entitled to something in times like this if my taxes go up next year to help the coffers out then so be it but personally I didn’t see my payments as a handout

darlington

Why not?

what makes you think self employed don’t pay the appropriate taxes I’m sure the inland revenue would quickly chase us up and believe me they don’t miss a trick

Mrs naughty is self employed for over 30years guess what she has had off the government since she HAD to stop working ? Fuck all "

has she applied for what she is entitled to ?

"Why should self employed people get govt handouts while folks who work for an employer have to continue to graft harder by working from home?

"

Suck it up buttercup, life ain't fair.

Why not?

This is purely based on your own speculation and not on fact. "

Its 100% fact because they tell me they dont declare their real incomes, ever

"people who get made redundent will get redudancy why would the gov give them more money on top of that? i been off since 25th march and its looking more and more ikley i wont be going back.until airports go back to normal and they start opening the stores in them. then we dont have any stores open.at the mo you have boots the chemist open and that is it

Again, why only the self employed and not for all?

thats for them to take up with there employer if they get statuary redundancy.myself last two firms i been laid off from ive had great payoffs.if i get made redundant again i will just sign on until i find something else.your making it sound if peeps get redundancy thats all they will have tolive on and thats just not true"

Thats true, but its bullshit how the self employed seem to be protected, but employees are not to the same degree

darlington

Why not?

Its 100% fact because they tell me they dont declare their real incomes, ever"

I take it they are only paid in cash then

Falkirk

Why not?

Lol because some told you.

Sums it up really doesn't it

"Personally I don’t see it as a handout if you’ve worked and paid in then tbh I think we should be entitled to something in times like this if my taxes go up next year to help the coffers out then so be it but personally I didn’t see my payments as a handout "

Fine, but it should be available for ALL.

Not just folks who have decided to take a risk and support themselves.

Why not?

Sums it up really doesn't it "

Seriously mate? I've known these people pretty much all my life, grew up with them. I know what they do.

I didnt begrudge them not paying what they should all those years, more fool the taxman for not finding out.

But now when we ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER! clearly we are not though right?

borehamwood

is it unfair that employees get sick pay and holiday pay and the self employed dont?

Why not?

Its 100% fact because they tell me they dont declare their real incomes, ever I take it they are only paid in cash then "

No of course not, but they declare a fraction of what they actually earn. Skim a bit off the top if you like.

This isn't the issue though.

Its more why they get the handouts while employees who are made redundant do not by the same rules.

"is it unfair that employees get sick pay and holiday pay and the self employed dont?"

No, because the self employed made that choice.

Employees dont choose to be made redundant, and the ones that do, should not get handouts( if they were entitled to them)

Falkirk

Why not?

Seriously mate? I've known these people pretty much all my life, grew up with them. I know what they do.

I didnt begrudge them not paying what they should all those years, more fool the taxman for not finding out.

But now when we ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER! clearly we are not though right?"

You started a thread stating the self employed shouldn't get hand outs because according to you, the people you know avoid or don't pay tax.

darlington

Why not?

Its 100% fact because they tell me they dont declare their real incomes, ever I take it they are only paid in cash then

No of course not, but they declare a fraction of what they actually earn. Skim a bit off the top if you like.

Its more why they get the handouts while employees who are made redundant do not by the same rules.

"

what about redundancy payments could that not be classed as a handout?

Blackpool

"

All your arguement seems to be based on is what you've been told, and your own speculation, without being able to produce one single piece of evidence to back them up however

Why not?

But now when we ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER! clearly we are not though right?

You started a thread stating the self employed shouldn't get hand outs because according to you, the people you know avoid or don't pay tax.

Its all related. If there are handouts, I think it should apply to all or none.

It seems unbalanced to me that rhe group of people that are getting handouts are the ones that try every trick to avoid or not pay tax.

"

Why not?

Its 100% fact because they tell me they dont declare their real incomes, ever I take it they are only paid in cash then

what about redundancy payments could that not be classed as a handout?"

No, because firm funded redundancy are not at the tax payers expense

borehamwood

yea they made that choice to try and get further on in life.not being funny mate your coming across as jelous of others who may be getting more than yourself.and dont forget these self employed are having to wait months for any money with nothing coming in wheras us employees have been getting our wages every month like normal.life aint fair mate.anyway once furlough drops to 60% mist will go back to work if they can.and if these shop keepers you talk of are ripping the tax man off then bertie them up if it makes you feel better

All your arguement seems to be based on is what you've been told, and your own speculation, without being able to produce one single piece of evidence to back them up however "

These people are my friends, who I have known since childhood. Its not speculation. I rip them about this too, and they know my views, lol,it just seems unbalanced to me.

But they are still my friends and will continue to be.

I just dont understand why the govt is funding them and not everyone.

"yea they made that choice to try and get further on in life.not being funny mate your coming across as jelous of others who may be getting more than yourself.and dont forget these self employed are having to wait months for any money with nothing coming in wheras us employees have been getting our wages every month like normal.life aint fair mate.anyway once furlough drops to 60% mist will go back to work if they can.and if these shop keepers you talk of are ripping the tax man off then bertie them up if it makes you feel better"

Its not about being jealous of an individual, I dont understand why the govt is bailing them out and not all.

And actually, some of them got their lump sums over a month ago.

Blackpool

All your arguement seems to be based on is what you've been told, and your own speculation, without being able to produce one single piece of evidence to back them up however

These people are my friends, who I have known since childhood. Its not speculation. I rip them about this too, and they know my views, lol,it just seems unbalanced to me.

"

Friends tell lies too. As I say you cannot produce any tangible evidence to back up your original post

Friends tell lies too. As I say you cannot produce any tangible evidence to back up your original post "

I'm beggining to like you, you just made me chuckle.

borehamwood

they are funding everyone or have you not had any wages since march?

Falkirk

Friends tell lies too. As I say you cannot produce any tangible evidence to back up your original post "

Big Dave at the corner shop told him so it must be true.

"they are funding everyone or have you not had any wages since march?"

If I get made redundant, will the govt give me a handout?

To the same rules as the self employed?

Their shops having to close is the same as being made redundant. Actually its not, because they will reopen their shops, wheres the likes of me will need to find a new job.

So how come they get paid for doing nothing while their shops are closed?

By *jangoMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

You are what I'd call an idiot. And that's being polite

Friends tell lies too. As I say you cannot produce any tangible evidence to back up your original post

Big Dave at the corner shop told him so it must be true. "

I dont want it to turn into a taking the piss thread.

Its a question I have, and no one yet has put me straight as to the logic amd justification behind it.

As I said at the start, happy to be enlightened

You are what I'd call an idiot. And that's being polite "

Ok, Mr polite. I dont see why you have to be rude, but please tell me what I am missing.

darlington

"they are funding everyone or have you not had any wages since march?

Their shops having to close is the same as being made redundant. Actually its not, because they will reopen their shops, wheres the likes of me will need to find a new job.

So how come they get paid for doing nothing while their shops are closed?"

as people have said unfortunately you get people who abuse the system maybe you should tip hmrc of about them as you obviously have a problem with them

borehamwood

prob the same reasin i getting paid to do nothing at the mo.and whos to say if there shops will re open.again about the redundancy if u get laid off go sign on until u find another job bit of money and ya rent and council tax paid.is what i will be doing if i get laid off

"prob the same reasin i getting paid to do nothing at the mo.and whos to say if there shops will re open.again about the redundancy if u get laid off go sign on until u find another job bit of money and ya rent and council tax paid.is what i will be doing if i get laid off"

Their shops will reopen, because they told me exactly the day they will do it.

As I said, they have been open at least 2 days a week throughout this whole thing and still got the govt money.

Unemployment benefit is no where near what the self employed handouts are

So how come they get paid for doing nothing while their shops are closed? as people have said unfortunately you get people who abuse the system maybe you should tip hmrc of about them as you obviously have a problem with them "

Its not about grassing them up.

I want to understand the reasoning behing giving handouts to self employed and not all.

borehamwood

well u know what to do if you get laid off then.go self employed doung something and you to can be well off like these people you seem to have an issue with

Why not?

Why would they tell you that? If they did, maybe it was said in jest to wind you up, looks like it worked

darlington

So how come they get paid for doing nothing while their shops are closed? as people have said unfortunately you get people who abuse the system maybe you should tip hmrc of about them as you obviously have a problem with them

I want to understand the reasoning behing giving handouts to self e mployed and not all.

"

Maybe the government looked at the bigger picture and thought if we don’t help out people are going to end up homeless and eventually they would have to house them give them benefits etc etc so perhaps by helping them out it may just stop that I’m expecting my contributions to go up I don’t expect it to be free money or a handout but as I’ve stated many times it won’t bother me paying a little more back to get the country back on its feet

Government handouts are brilliant. Its what the government is there for. (There we go. Troll the troll, see what I did there?)

Why not?

Why would they tell you that? If they did, maybe it was said in jest to wind you up, looks like it worked "

Mate, these are people I have grown up with. I know what they do. Its not so much the tax thing, its the fact that the govt is now paying them for nowt, while employees are still working, harder even from home, and when made redundant, get no such handout from the govt

darlington

Why not?

Why would they tell you that? If they did, maybe it was said in jest to wind you up, looks like it worked

Mate, these are people I have grown up with. I know what they do. Its not so much the tax thing, its the fact that the govt is now paying them for nowt, while employees are still working, harder even from home, and when made redundant, get no such handout from the govt"

interesting you say still working I assume they are not doing it for free ?

So how come they get paid for doing nothing while their shops are closed? as people have said unfortunately you get people who abuse the system maybe you should tip hmrc of about them as you obviously have a problem with them

I want to understand the reasoning behing giving handouts to self e mployed and not all.

Maybe the government looked at the bigger picture and thought if we don’t help out people are going to end up homeless and eventually they would have to house them give them benefits etc etc so perhaps by helping them out it may just stop that I’m expecting my contributions to go up I don’t expect it to be free money or a handout but as I’ve stated many times it won’t bother me paying a little more back to get the country back on its feet "

Thats fine, but why only the self employed?

Oh especially the self employed who have multiple properties around the world, who are clearly very well off and dont even need the handout, but of course very happy to take it.

Again, I dont begrudge them, I dont understand the govts logic to this

Why not?

Mate, these are people I have grown up with. I know what they do. Its not so much the tax thing, its the fact that the govt is now paying them for nowt, while employees are still working, harder even from home, and when made redundant, get no such handout from the govt interesting you say still working I assume they are not doing it for free ?"

Of course not. We employees are still getting paid, but have to work.

Shop owners are not working, getting handouts, and will open and go back to their shops come mid June.

darlington

Maybe the government looked at the bigger picture and thought if we don’t help out people are going to end up homeless and eventually they would have to house them give them benefits etc etc so perhaps by helping them out it may just stop that I’m expecting my contributions to go up I don’t expect it to be free money or a handout but as I’ve stated many times it won’t bother me paying a little more back to get the country back on its feet

Oh especially the self employed who have multiple properties around the world, who are clearly very well off and dont even need the handout, but of course very happy to take it.

Again, I dont begrudge them, I dont understand the govts logic to this"

where’s the furlough money coming from?

Falkirk

Again, I dont begrudge them, I dont understand the govts logic to this"

And you know this for a fact or because the guy in the cornershop told you?

You don't begrudge them yet you are moaning about it on a swinger site.

Why not?

Mate, these are people I have grown up with. I know what they do. Its not so much the tax thing, its the fact that the govt is now paying them for nowt, while employees are still working, harder even from home, and when made redundant, get no such handout from the govt"

So, because one shop owner doesn’t pay tax then none of the others do either? The government have forced them to close their shops, they didn’t do it through choice to ‘sit on their arses’. I feel sorry for people who have been made redundant but that is down to each individual company wether they receive redundancy money etc.

Why not?

Mate, these are people I have grown up with. I know what they do. Its not so much the tax thing, its the fact that the govt is now paying them for nowt, while employees are still working, harder even from home, and when made redundant, get no such handout from the govt

So, because one shop owner doesn’t pay tax then none of the others do either? The government have forced them to close their shops, they didn’t do it through choice to ‘sit on their arses’. I feel sorry for people who have been made redundant but that is down to each individual company wether they receive redundancy money etc."

Ok, let me try to be clear. I'm not saying all shop owners dont pay the right tax. In fact, forget the tax issue for now.

Why should the self employed only get govt handouts, yet employees who are made redundant do not get the same govt handouts?

Falkirk

Why not?

So, because one shop owner doesn’t pay tax then none of the others do either? The government have forced them to close their shops, they didn’t do it through choice to ‘sit on their arses’. I feel sorry for people who have been made redundant but that is down to each individual company wether they receive redundancy money etc.

Ok, let me try to be clear. I'm not saying all shop owners dont pay the right tax. In fact, forget the tax issue for now.

Why should the self employed only get govt handouts, yet employees who are made redundant do not get the same govt handouts?

"

You can still claim for unemployment if you were made unemployed due to covid.

The guidlines were put in place specifically for this.

borehamwood

Why not?

Mate, these are people I have grown up with. I know what they do. Its not so much the tax thing, its the fact that the govt is now paying them for nowt, while employees are still working, harder even from home, and when made redundant, get no such handout from the govt interesting you say still working I assume they are not doing it for free ?

Of course not. We employees are still getting paid, but have to work.

Shop owners are not working, getting handouts, and will open and go back to their shops come mid June.

"

im an employee and i getting paid to sit on my arse at the mo.ahh i get it now your still having to go in and have got the hump about it.look at it this way mate u got more chance of still having a job after all off this than a lot of us sitting on our arses watching netflix have

darlington

Why not?

"

why shouldn’t they should we get no help at all bearing in mind we don’t get redundancy holiday pay sick pay yes it’s our choice to be self employed so we don’t expect holiday and sick pay but surely we are entitled to something as we don’t get redundancy pay

Why not?

"

Because the government don’t want small business and the self employed to go under. My question would be this, why are people being made redundant when they could be furloughed instead?

Why not?

why shouldn’t they should we get no help at all bearing in mind we don’t get redundancy holiday pay sick pay yes it’s our choice to be self employed so we don’t expect holiday and sick pay but surely we are entitled to something as we don’t get redundancy pay "

You dont get redundancy, holiday or sick pay in normal times, again personal choice.

And lets be clear, a shop owner being told to close for a few months AND getting paid to do so, is nothing like, or nowhere even near compareable to redundancy.

Why not?

Because the government don’t want small business and the self employed to go under. My question would be this, why are people being made redundant when they could be furloughed instead? "

Ok, so it seems unbalanced that they support those who knew the risks and gambled, and not the rest who lose their jobs through no fault of their own

Your question is a good one, good point. I guess firms are using this as an excuse to trim costs, but those poor workers are out of pocket whereas self employed folks get the handouts

darlington

Why not?

Because the government don’t want small business and the self employed to go under. My question would be this, why are people being made redundant when they could be furloughed instead?

Ok, so it seems unbalanced that they support those who knew the risks and gambled, and not the rest who lose their jobs through no fault of their own

Your question is a good one, good point. I guess firms are using this as an excuse to trim costs, but those poor workers are out of pocket whereas self employed folks get the handouts"

and I was told to stop working through no fault of my own and why shouldn’t I be offered any help and btw people who aren’t self employed are getting help either furlough or benefits why have you got a problem with what self employed people are getting?

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Did you know the biggest employers in the UK are the self employed, small and medium sized business.

If nobody was self employed where would anyone work??

By *hackles44Man  over a year ago

LEICESTER

Because they are entitled to Holiday pay, Sickness pay etc, which the self employed are not, unless they subscribe to an outside body. Have some heart, I have worked in the entertainments industry since I was 17. I am now 63, there is little likelihood of a return to work for me, please don't judge quite so much

By *anshee99Woman  over a year ago

nw

The only bonus is all those self employed weekend dads that reported low income to avoid CSA.

I'm loving the karma.

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

Surely you're against the furlough scheme and working tax credits too? Those businesses knew these risks and gambled, they should be paying their staff, not the government..

By *ensual 2Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

"

Being in the retail trade for 40 yrs .paid Vat ...and other taxes.. the money paid out is only a portion of those taxes paid in ...being shut out of your business through not fault of your own is no thrill...picking up the pieces after will be a big problem for shops etc ....any monies recently received do not compensate for business lost over the last months ..but you would not understand as you dont have a business and no idea !!

Wow. I’ve seen people with agendas but wow. I have 3 shops that I was forced to close through no fault of my own. I still have to pay rents, utilities and any other miscellaneous overheads to keep the properties for when we can return. I have 11 staff with families to feed and mortgages to pay. They are all on the furlough scheme with me making their salaries whole so that they are not out of pocket. The grant that I received will fortunately pay the overhead while we are closed and maybe offset some of the costs of the stocks that will have to be disposed of due to going out of date and maybe cover the fact that when we reopen turnover is going to be ridiculously slow to recover.

I’m quite fortunate that I haven’t put myself on furlough, even though I could, as making sure that the funds are there to keep paying the salaries of the staff that I employ. Hopefully some sort of recovery to normal ish levels will mean that I shouldn’t have to lay off or make redundant any staff. Without the schemes that the government rolled out there would be 11 people out of work as not doing so with no return date would not only be financial suicide but also ruinous financially for me personally. I will receive no income, realistically, for the next twelve months to protect the staff and my businesses which is fine and the picture will be similar for most self employed people and employers but they are the breaks that go with being self employed.

The government had to do this to try and protect employees as the cost would be greater should they be laid off and or made redundant in the middle of an economic downturn.

There will be hundreds of thousands of people who will not be returning to work when all of this ends and that’s a sad truth. Be grateful for what you have as many will have had and are soon to have not.

Good luck and stay safe everyone.

By *ensual 2Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

"Wow. I’ve seen people with agendas but wow. I have 3 shops that I was forced to close through no fault of my own. I still have to pay rents, utilities and any other miscellaneous overheads to keep the properties for when we can return. I have 11 staff with families to feed and mortgages to pay. They are all on the furlough scheme with me making their salaries whole so that they are not out of pocket. The grant that I received will fortunately pay the overhead while we are closed and maybe offset some of the costs of the stocks that will have to be disposed of due to going out of date and maybe cover the fact that when we reopen turnover is going to be ridiculously slow to recover.

I’m quite fortunate that I haven’t put myself on furlough, even though I could, as making sure that the funds are there to keep paying the salaries of the staff that I employ. Hopefully some sort of recovery to normal ish levels will mean that I shouldn’t have to lay off or make redundant any staff. Without the schemes that the government rolled out there would be 11 people out of work as not doing so with no return date would not only be financial suicide but also ruinous financially for me personally. I will receive no income, realistically, for the next twelve months to protect the staff and my businesses which is fine and the picture will be similar for most self employed people and employers but they are the breaks that go with being self employed.

The government had to do this to try and protect employees as the cost would be greater should they be laid off and or made redundant in the middle of an economic downturn.

There will be hundreds of thousands of people who will not be returning to work when all of this ends and that’s a sad truth. Be grateful for what you have as many will have had and are soon to have not.

"

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

I believe that the government's financial help is supposed to stop businesses from going bust whilst they are legally prohibited from working. The alternative would be many more claiming universal credit, which would obviously also be a government hand-out.

Cal

"Wow. I’ve seen people with agendas but wow. I have 3 shops that I was forced to close through no fault of my own. I still have to pay rents, utilities and any other miscellaneous overheads to keep the properties for when we can return. I have 11 staff with families to feed and mortgages to pay. They are all on the furlough scheme with me making their salaries whole so that they are not out of pocket. The grant that I received will fortunately pay the overhead while we are closed and maybe offset some of the costs of the stocks that will have to be disposed of due to going out of date and maybe cover the fact that when we reopen turnover is going to be ridiculously slow to recover.

"

Thanks for this. I didnt appreciate the details of what you have mentioned, most notably your employees, but they get 80% through the furlough scheme right?

Its your choice to top up, and good for you for doing that.

Your other points make sense to me, as to why these handouts are being given to the self employed.

But to have nothing for the employee who is made redundant and left with statutory, is still unbalanced in my view

Galaxy Far Far Away

Right...just finished work...what have I missed? Just saw something comparing redundancy and handouts which doesnt make sense. If an employee is made redundant they get redundancy money. The equivalent for a self employed person would be going bust. No redundancy, probably a load of debt, having to sell the house to pay some debt potentially and most self employed people are pretty much unemployable as very few companies would risk taking them on.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

If being self employed is such an easy tax scam grow some balls and try it yourself

So how come they get paid for doing nothing while their shops are closed?"

i dont understand the people calling him a liar tbh ... he clearly is talking from personal experience of someone he knows well ... its not made up ... however OP the mistake you are making is assuming your friends experience represents everyone self employed , a huge number of them have had nothing at all or very little because of the way they choose to remove their income from their company

you are also comparing apples with oranges ... redundancy with temporary closing their business is not the same thing ... redundancy would be similar to their business going under entirely

the grants being given are similar to furlough which people who are employed and not working at the moment are also entitled to ... so its very much more along the lines of same rules for everyone than you appear to think it is (i know some people have fell through the net before i get jumped on but point to op is the same)

By *havenbabe01Couple  over a year ago

bedfordshire

[Removed by poster at 27/05/20 22:57:21]

i dont understand the people calling him a liar tbh ... he clearly is talking from personal experience of someone he knows well ... its not made up ... however OP the mistake you are making is assuming your friends experience represents everyone self employed , a huge number of them have had nothing at all or very little because of the way they choose to remove their income from their company

you are also comparing apples with oranges ... redundancy with temporary closing their business is not the same thing ... redundancy would be similar to their business going under entirely

the grants being given are similar to furlough which people who are employed and not working at the moment are also entitled to ... so its very much more along the lines of same rules for everyone than you appear to think it is (i know some people have fell through the net before i get jumped on but point to op is the same)

"

Thank you, and I understand your analogy, but dont necessarily agree with it.

The people I know, yes, my friends, have got the bailout, still opened their business a couple of times a week, done sod all work, and will open their doors full on in mid June.

So again, if we bail out people who have chosen to take a risk, then why not offer the same to people who are made redundant on statutory, which we now both agree is a worse situation than furlough

Thank you, and I understand your analogy, but dont necessarily agree with it.

The people I know, yes, my friends, have got the bailout, still opened their business a couple of times a week, done sod all work, and will open their doors full on in mid June.

So again, if we bail out people who have chosen to take a risk, then why not offer the same to people who are made redundant on statutory, which we now both agree is a worse situation than furlough"

how can they have done sod all work and opened a few days a week it has to be one or the other

employed people have been given a bail out, furlough is their bail out to help avoid redundancy

yes redundancy is worse , its out of work entirely ... which is why its not comparable with your friends having to close short term

both self employed grants and furlough are for the same purpose ... to keep people in employment

you cant achieve that aim by giving someone redundant a handout as by very nature they are already unemployed

By *issVeryWoman  over a year ago

streatham

For you to be an employee getting paid, you need those pesky self-employed business owners. You think as soon as the shops open business will be heaving? They (especially smaller independent businesses) will probably experience the equivalent of “redundancy”. They need help to keep the likes of you from being made redundant as well..

Thanks for this. I didnt appreciate the details of what you have mentioned, most notably your employees, but they get 80% through the furlough scheme right?

Its your choice to top up, and good for you for doing that.

Your other points make sense to me, as to why these handouts are being given to the self employed.

But to have nothing for the employee who is made redundant and left with statutory, is still unbalanced in my view"

Yes I receive 80% of their normal salary in furlough which I then top up to their normal salary. I still have to pay the paye side of things and pension contributions whilst receiving no income from the business whatsoever.

The handouts for being made redundant or laid off are universal credit which varies dependant on your circumstances. If my business goes bust I am liable for any outstanding debts and if these means having to seize assets to cover they will. Self employed is a minefield with big risks, sometimes big rewards, but risks nonetheless. This isn’t a woe look at me but I have had to sell assets to put in to my business to ensure that we are able to see the other side of this and not have put any more pressure on the people I employ. It’s a sacrifice to my lifestyle and income but one I’m prepared to take to protect them and their families. There may even come a point where I will have to become an employee for someone else to help fund this. If this is what I have to do I will do it. We certainly aren’t receiving something that we are not entitled to. There are many people sat at home receiving full pay or at a minimum 80% that are doing no work whatsoever not just self employed or shop owners. The rules were applied to protect everyone in the country and the economy.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Jesus. You can't be serious. In that case, why should the emoyed get hand outs? We all contribute to the economy and pay our taxes. You really have no idea how much work goes into being self employed OP. Try researching it before you make stupid assumptions.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

They do. It's called universal credit. Look it up.

By *ikilovesCCouple  over a year ago

village life, closest main town inverness

Well you must have been a happy chap yesterday Op when Boris as good as left the self employed who are not allowed back to work high and dry

As for your shop keepers, they won't be self employed as their shop will be a business and they would have furloughed themselves and therefore still getting an income.

[Removed by poster at 28/05/20 08:09:26]

Blimey, chill mate, you'll burst a blood vessel lol

By *ike676767Man  over a year ago

Near Taunton

The basic premise was that this virus was no one's fault but to curb the spread human interaction must stop and that meant trade and business had to cease.

The economic effects are obvious so grants aid call it whatever was made available.

The employed and self employed all pay tax all be it at different rates and calculated differently. If you have had undeclared income it won't be in your tax return. If you have been declaring less then you will get less. What goes around comes around.

Correct, so their handout is based on what they declared over the years, which is far less than they should have, but still enough for a decent handout.

My point is, why do the self employed only get a handout?"

Why??? Really

Some of the responses on here have been enlightening, so thank you for those. To others who were rude, they wont care what I say anyway.

UC is there, yes. But the handouts given to self employed cover at least 70% of their usual income, whereas in my case, UC wont even cover half of mine. Perhaps the firms redundancy will cover the rest, but not everyone gets a good handout from their firm, and a lot just get statutory.

I suppose nothing can ever be fully balanced, and as I said, some of your responses have opened me to a different side of the arguement on this.

Happy fabbing peeps, and stay safe

By *oonloverWoman  over a year ago

bognor regis

OP how do you feel about those that choose to be unemployed and are funded all the time? (And I am no way putting everyone unemployed in this category)

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

?"

They would only be getting a grant for what they have declared on their tax return. So if that wasn't much, they won't get much

I am not sure how anyone else would know what people declare on their tax return though, unless you mean people are being stupid by telling everyone

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I am finding it really distasteful with all this, this could all end up with a whole load of jobs being lost for lots of people, I doubt if they will think they were lucky at all

We also have to remember that people were told not to work unless key workers or you can do it from home, it wasn't a choice.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Again, why only the self employed and not for all?"

Because they have been asked not to work, the Government is trying to keep people from going under during this mess so why there is help

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

"

Being made redundant by your firm is not the same thing. You would need to see what redundancy package is in please

If you wasn't being made redundant then you would be furloughed for a few months, which is what you keep calling a free handout from the Government.

Self employed people get a grant for three months only up to now

Forum Mod

O o O oo

place not please

By *lay-full-funCouple  over a year ago

stockport

Next door to me is a self employed hairdresser her shop was struggling to make any money before the lockdown she has has just over 20 grand in loans an Grant's she has decorated her home an had her garden landscaped with the money she got not used a penny on the business as she as done a deal with her landlord to not pay rent till the shop reopens I feel sorry for self employed as my husband is self employed an can't receive a penny as he only started his business last September an we are now living on savings

Blackpool

"I am finding it really distasteful with all this, this could all end up with a whole load of jobs being lost for lots of people, I doubt if they will think they were lucky at all

We also have to remember that people were told not to work unless key workers or you can do it from home, it wasn't a choice. "

Just this There have been so many disparaging remarks posted concerning those of us that have been furloughed. I have worked all my life and being furloughed through no choice of my own gives me a sense of 'uselessness' in a way. Will I have a job to go back to? Who knows but I also have the prospect at my age I am unlikely to get another job for some time in the industry I have been in for over 30 years (P.C.V. Driver)

"OP how do you feel about those that choose to be unemployed and are funded all the time? (And I am no way putting everyone unemployed in this category)"

Thats a whole different category which can go into many different topics, reasons and conversations.

Tbh, I'm indifferent to it because in normal times, I have made my choice and they have made theirs.

But in these times, I dont think the govt is balancing the help it is providing

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Next door to me is a self employed hairdresser her shop was struggling to make any money before the lockdown she has has just over 20 grand in loans an Grant's she has decorated her home an had her garden landscaped with the money she got not used a penny on the business as she as done a deal with her landlord to not pay rent till the shop reopens I feel sorry for self employed as my husband is self employed an can't receive a penny as he only started his business last September an we are now living on savings "

The money that self employed people get is based on their profit, it doesn't include money for paying business costs. The loans will obviously have to be paid back.

Cal

By *lay-full-funCouple  over a year ago

stockport

"Next door to me is a self employed hairdresser her shop was struggling to make any money before the lockdown she has has just over 20 grand in loans an Grant's she has decorated her home an had her garden landscaped with the money she got not used a penny on the business as she as done a deal with her landlord to not pay rent till the shop reopens I feel sorry for self employed as my husband is self employed an can't receive a penny as he only started his business last September an we are now living on savings

The money that self employed people get is based on their profit, it doesn't include money for paying business costs. The loans will obviously have to be paid back.

Cal"

I know it will have to be paid back but as you were saying it's based on profit how does a business that is making no profit before lockdown then able to receive just over 20 grand in loans an grants

"

If they aren't declaring their real income then logically they're getting hit in the nuts over it now as they'll have only got paid 80% of the buttons that they did declare...

B

"

The employed DO get help, provided the company that employs them puts them on furlough if they can't work from home. If YOUR company hasn't put you on furlough then that's hardly the government's fault now is it? Please redirect your beef to your boss.

If your job is one that CAN be done from home, then where's the problem? You're still getting kept safe from this pesky virus.

As I work in the temporary structures industry, I'd love you to show me exactly how I could possibly be working and exactly where I am to throw up a building that thousands are meant to pack into as I usually do. Since being on stand by for the 5 day build of Nightingale Jersey there's been sweet nowt and will be for some time.

Them's the breaks my friend. The coronavirus does not respect one's employment status sadly.

B

"rolling my eyes "

All the way through this after the first few replies.. ("don't feed the troll")

If they aren't declaring their real income then logically they're getting hit in the nuts over it now as they'll have only got paid 80% of the buttons that they did declare...

B"

Absolutely, those who cook their books so as not to pay true tax amount, shot in foot , can’t have cake & eat it shall we say

"I am finding it really distasteful with all this, this could all end up with a whole load of jobs being lost for lots of people, I doubt if they will think they were lucky at all

We also have to remember that people were told not to work unless key workers or you can do it from home, it wasn't a choice. "

That’s not correct. The government never said don’t work unless you are a key worker OR can work from home.

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Far too many people assume that people go self employed to dodge paying tax and NI.

While some may do (some very high profile TV "celebs" are self employed), most do it to be their own boss, and take control of their lives.

I do know lot of self employed people who have worked right through, and to be honest if the govt had allowed everything to continue that could, with social distancing and hygiene measures in place, the country would have been much better off.

» Add a new message to this topic