FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Annual Leave whilst off work “shielding”

Annual Leave whilst off work “shielding”

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If someone is off work shielding because of the virus, should any prebooked annual leave during the 12 weeks have to be taken or should the employee be able to use it at another time?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We were told that any holidays booked while we were unable to work would be paid at the full rate ~ we were furloughed though, I suppose it might be different if you're shielding.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I was furlough when we had the 3 bank holidays and we didn't get paid for them.

So I assume they still owe us them.

Office still open and has been continually throughout the lockdown.

All shielding are getting paid 100% of their salary.

So they want 12 weeks off work fully paid and then have all their annual leave on top of the 12 weeks.

Northampton Somewhere

"So they want 12 weeks off work fully paid and then have all their annual leave on top of the 12 weeks."

Hmmmmm. Some people just take the piss. I'm sure our company are pro rata-ing it, otherwise people will end up having 6 months off!

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"So they want 12 weeks off work fully paid and then have all their annual leave on top of the 12 weeks."

But... they can't take a holiday with their annual leave, if they were off sick, their anual leave would be reinstated. It's not like anyone has chosen to be in this situation.

Cal

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"So they want 12 weeks off work fully paid and then have all their annual leave on top of the 12 weeks.

But... they can't take a holiday with their annual leave, if they were off sick, their anual leave would be reinstated. It's not like anyone has chosen to be in this situation.

Cal"

And I'm sure the company didn't choose to be in the situation.

Maybe they will have to make redundancies ...

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

If you are sick during your annual leave, you can aim it back with most compa is, so I'm guessing it's the same thing.

"So they want 12 weeks off work fully paid and then have all their annual leave on top of the 12 weeks.

Cal"

Nobody can take a holiday with their annual leave.

Why should they get extra time off work on top of the 12 weeks already?

They don’t actually have any underlying health problems.

They’ve been told any annual leave that they had asked for before going off work has to be taken as annual leave.

By *erfume-LoverMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh West area

I am sure I read your annual leave can be carried forward for 12 months - at least in England

Scunthorpe

Cal

They don’t actually have any underlying health problems. "

People who are at work won't be taking their annual leave (if they've any sense). Early on in the lockdown Boris said that leave should be allowed to be carried over for upto 2 years.

"I am sure I read your annual leave can be carried forward for 12 months - at least in England "

We’ve been told any annual leave already requested has to be taken.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"I am sure I read your annual leave can be carried forward for 12 months - at least in England

"

It’s up to the company if they are happy for any annual leave to be carried over, they don’t have to allow it, it’s what works best for the employer.

People that are on the 12 weeks Shielding should either be working from home or if they can’t then on Furlough. The company can make them take their holidays while on Furlough but would need to top up the Furlough pay to 100% for each holiday taken, think most will ask employees to take a percentage of holidays.

"I am sure I read your annual leave can be carried forward for 12 months - at least in England

It’s up to the company if they are happy for any annual leave to be carried over, they don’t have to allow it, it’s what works best for the employer."

We’ve always been allowed to carry over 10 days. They may increase it.

I just thought it was a bloody cheek to already be off work and then ask for annual leave to be given back to them.

They’re shielding though they have no underlying health issues and their partner works at the same place and they’re coming into work still.

Some people just take the bloody piss

Cal

I thought shielding was for the extremely vulnerable.

"I am sure I read your annual leave can be carried forward for 12 months - at least in England "

It may depend on size of company.

Northampton Somewhere

It’s up to the company if they are happy for any annual leave to be carried over, they don’t have to allow it, it’s what works best for the employer.

I just thought it was a bloody cheek to already be off work and then ask for annual leave to be given back to them.

They’re shielding though they have no underlying health issues and their partner works at the same place and they’re coming into work still.

"

Yes I agree with you. For instance we have a guy who's gf has asthma so he's still on furlough, likewise a woman who lives with her elderly mum and one who can't get childcare. Whilst I understand their issues I don't see why they should get holidays if that's the case as there's nothing actually wrong with them.

Cal

I thought shielding was for the extremely vulnerable. "

Well they’re off work for 12 weeks for some unknown reason

Scunthorpe

Cal

I thought shielding was for the extremely vulnerable. "

Shielding only applies to people who received an official letter to say they are in the "most at risk" group.

Cal

Yes I agree with you. For instance we have a guy who's gf has asthma so he's still on furlough, likewise a woman who lives with her elderly mum and one who can't get childcare. Whilst I understand their issues I don't see why they should get holidays if that's the case as there's nothing actually wrong with them."

I think they should have to take any annual leave already booked.

What I think would be unfair is them being off for the 12 weeks and then coming back to work and still having all their annual leave to use.

Cal

They would not have got a letter telling them to shield if there was nothing wrong with them.

Of course they have underlying problems

Cal

Shielding only applies to people who received an official letter to say they are in the "most at risk" group.

Cal"

Ah, ok.

So a diabetic would just choose themselves to stay at home for 12 weeks? (Not the person I was talking about)

Northampton Somewhere

Yes I agree with you. For instance we have a guy who's gf has asthma so he's still on furlough, likewise a woman who lives with her elderly mum and one who can't get childcare. Whilst I understand their issues I don't see why they should get holidays if that's the case as there's nothing actually wrong with them.

What I think would be unfair is them being off for the 12 weeks and then coming back to work and still having all their annual leave to use.

"

Definitely. I agree with you. I'm not sure 100% whether the ones I mentioned are still getting the furlough pay. If they come back in August when it drops to 60% or whatever it is that will be very, very wrong.

Cal

They would not have got a letter telling them to shield if there was nothing wrong with them.

Of course they have underlying problems"

They didn’t get a letter.

Scunthorpe

"

I disagree, I think it would be unfair to be forced to take time of work, to stay at home and have to sacrifice their holiday entitlement too.

Is the person in question someone you don't like? Or do you feel that because you are still working that you're getting the thin end of the wedge?

Personally, I would feel hard-done-by if I was forced to stay at home and do nothing for months... I definitely feel as though I am one if the lucky ones being able to still go to work.

Cal

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Seems a bit greedy to me

Cal

They didn’t get a letter."

So why are the company paying them for being shielded ?

If they dont have to shield ?

Cal

Cal

Ah, ok.

So a diabetic would just choose themselves to stay at home for 12 weeks? (Not the person I was talking about)"

I they had type 1 diabetes they most definitely would have got a letter.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't think diabetes is on it

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Cal

Well they’re off work for 12 weeks for some unknown reason "

The reason is no one elses business but the line managers

Cal"

but they are not sick and can use their annual leave to do leisure things around the house

people seem to have in their head that annual leave is only valid if you can go abroad on it ... its too take a rest from work ... if you hapoen to be getting paid 100% to shield you are getting over and above already, bit of a cheek to think you would be entitled to take extra holidays again at the end of it

anyone still working (either key worker or from home) will also be expected to still take their holidays if they had booked them and will be stuck at home just the same as the shielders

I disagree, I think it would be unfair to be forced to take time of work, to stay at home and have to sacrifice their holiday entitlement too.

Is the person in question someone you don't like? Or do you feel that because you are still working that you're getting the thin end of the wedge?

Personally, I would feel hard-done-by if I was forced to stay at home and do nothing for months... I definitely feel as though I am one if the lucky ones being able to still go to work.

Cal"

they havent sacrificed their holiday entitlement , it just happened to fall in a period when they were already home

if you have to take holidays from work just now would you believe you sacrificed your holiday entitlement?

Cal"

Definitely we're still both working and compared to many if our friends are much happier and our mental health more resilient.

I have every sympathy for people shielding and I think the frustration should be at an employer which hasn't explored possibilities for them to work, even in a limited capacity, from home.

They aren't having a great time at home.

Cal

but they are not sick and can use their annual leave to do leisure things around the house

people seem to have in their head that annual leave is only valid if you can go abroad on it ... its too take a rest from work ... if you hapoen to be getting paid 100% to shield you are getting over and above already, bit of a cheek to think you would be entitled to take extra holidays again at the end of it

anyone still working (either key worker or from home) will also be expected to still take their holidays if they had booked them and will be stuck at home just the same as the shielders "

Exactly this. Everyone, including those self isolating or shielding or still working has to take any annual leave they’ve already booked off.

None of us can go anywhere

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

My place has been good. 80% but if you take 1 days holiday for every 4 your furloughed, you get 100%. The company also makes up the difference if your usual pay is over the £2500 cap.

Cal

They didn’t get a letter."

I'm not sure how you would know that? And I'm not sure how you think they convinced your employer that they were shielding with no underlying medical cause.

Part of me suspects that this is more about the individual involved rather than the broader principle though

Cal"

Nobody is forcing them to stay at home. Thru initially were going to use the lack of childcare until it was established we were classed as key workers so they had to come up with another reason.

Cal

Nobody is forcing them to stay at home. Thru initially were going to use the lack of childcare until it was established we were classed as key workers so they had to come up with another reason. "

Given you seem so adamant this person is wrongfully shielding havevyou raised your concerns with your HR department?

Cal

I'm not sure how you would know that? And I'm not sure how you think they convinced your employer that they were shielding with no underlying medical cause.

Part of me suspects that this is more about the individual involved rather than the broader principle though"

No, we’re all aware who got letters and who didn’t.

They’re not asthmatic or diabetic or have any long term chronic health issues.

Cal

Nobody is forcing them to stay at home. Thru initially were going to use the lack of childcare until it was established we were classed as key workers so they had to come up with another reason.

Given you seem so adamant this person is wrongfully shielding havevyou raised your concerns with your HR department?"

I’m sure they’re aware, I’m just having a rant on here. I’m definitely not the only one at my work who thinks they’re taking the piss.

It was more them asking for annual leave back that I thought was a cheek.

Anyway, have a lovely weekend everyone

Cal

Cal"

My thoughts exactly.

Cal

Part of me suspects that this is more about the individual involved rather than the broader principle though

"

No you are aware who told you that they had got letters. A subtle but significant difference.

Have you considered that they don't want their medical history bandied about the office? Given that you and your colleagues all think she is taking the piss maybe they feel it's not the most supportive of environments to share a private medical issue just to satisfy her colleagues curiosity?

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

My daughter's workplace told them they had all lost 50% of their holidays during furlough. Fortunately for us she informed them she would be out the country for August at her interview so she won't be negativity affected.

It's not a great situation either way though

This is why I don't disclose much of my personal info to work colleagues. They all have an opinion without actual facts so let them think whatever they want.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I'm currently working from home, and was asked to take a few holidays, as we are almost half way through the year and I had too many left, seemed wasted to me, but I took 2 days anyway, and made the most of them lying in bed reading! Bliss!

By *urvy Girl 79Woman  over a year ago

Near Bourne

I'm on furlough and any annual leave we have will be carried over to next year if we dont get the chance to use it this year. I had this week booked off as holiday. My boss cancelled the holiday and has put it back onto my holiday allowance and I got my usual 80% furlough pay.

Yeah double the amount of time off while us poor bastards who have been made to work through it get fuck all

Cal

"

How would/do you know they didn't get a letter ? That would be private.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Op I don’t think you really understand what shielding is. If you knew the restrictive nature of shielding I suspect that you would not appear to be so bitter that you have to work while others are at home. It’s not a skive and it’s as far from a 12 week long holiday as you can get!

As a shielded person I have not set foot outside my front door for 10 weeks (apart from when I had to take my cat to the emergency vets for life saving treatment) and will have at least another 4 weeks to endure. I have been having to rely on government food parcels in order to feed myself because I cannot go to the supermarket and cannot get a delivery slot. As a shielded person, I meant to stay isolated from anyone I live with, sleep in a separate bedroom and had zero face to face contact with any other human being, even my husband! I am even meant to eat my meals in my one room prison otherwise known as my bedroom. If we have an enclosed garden we may go out there but there are many shielded people who do not have that luxury.

While restrictions for the general public are gradually being lifted, those of us who are shielding feel like we are being forgotten about. We have been given no glimmer of hope that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

We are shielded because catching this virus would likely be a death sentence for us. I, like many other shielded people, would give anything to be able to swap places with you, a fit and healthy person. It would be intriguing to see how you’d cope with 10+ weeks of solitary confinement!

Cal

No you are aware who told you that they had got letters. A subtle but significant difference.

Have you considered that they don't want their medical history bandied about the office? Given that you and your colleagues all think she is taking the piss maybe they feel it's not the most supportive of environments to share a private medical issue just to satisfy her colleagues curiosity?"

"Yeah double the amount of time off while us poor bastards who have been made to work through it get fuck all"

That's if they have a job to go back to. Then they get all the time in the world. Lucky eh?

They can allways find another job when it's safe to do so.

Not been force to work like some people

Bedworth

"They can allways find another job when it's safe to do so.

Not been force to work like some people "

No one has been forced to work, they could always quit and find another job

[Removed by poster at 28/05/20 22:14:52]

No one has been forced to work, they could always quit and find another job "

So they find another job while the lock down is on??

Not been force to work like some people "

Forced ?

No one has been forced to work, they could always quit and find another job "

Exactly. You could always find another job when it's safe to do so

Go into work or don't get paid in my eyes that's forcing people into work

Bedworth

So they find another job while the lock down is on?? "

I know someone who has done just that! Interviews were done via phone and Skype and she is now working from home in her new job!

"Go into work or don't get paid in my eyes that's forcing people into work "

Like slave labour ?

"Go into work or don't get paid in my eyes that's forcing people into work "

If you're able to continue working you're one of the lucky ones. If you don't like your job then get another. No reason to be so bitter towards those that are unable to work through no fault of their own and having to suffer reduced income. At least you aren't suffering financially.

By *attyduk76Man  over a year ago

nearby

Some companies have used the shielding situation as a way of putting people on statutory sick pay ... saving themselves money. 5 people I worked with said they had received letters ... when this was announced they returned to work... when I asked why as they had letters they all denied having letters and said it was a misunderstanding.

Scotland - Aberdeen

I feel that there is a total sum of jealousy all around that people have been furloughed and are getting paid 80% of their wages to just 'lounge' about!

How do you know they are happy about it? How do I know that people aren't jealous? There was the story about someone picking up a prescription and then being denied to buy a lipstick whilst she was there! Because they didn't deem it a necessity, and I say it was purely because they were jealous for being allowed to sit on their are at home even though they paid assistant getting paid 100% salary thought she was being wronged in some way!

With all the job loses going around, why don't people just count themselves lucky for just having one?

Legally employees can ask staff who are on furlough to use up some annual leave. This is to avoid a staff shortage when people return. This is not ideal but very important to maintain a certain level of operation but more importantly to enable staff who haven't been on furlough to have some time off.

If someone is shielding they may have even asked their employer to furlough them.

They could also be shielding for the protection of someone they live with.

Furlough is a minimum of 3 weeks at a time and come July some companies will need to look at ways of protecting staff and their livelihoods and their business further when gov support is expected to change.

This may mean people on rotational furlough to try and strike a balance.

Having staff trying to book in full annual leave on top could make it impossible

"I feel that there is a total sum of jealousy all around that people have been furloughed and are getting paid 80% of their wages to just 'lounge' about!

How do you know they are happy about it? How do I know that people aren't jealous? There was the story about someone picking up a prescription and then being denied to buy a lipstick whilst she was there! Because they didn't deem it a necessity, and I say it was purely because they were jealous for being allowed to sit on their are at home even though they paid assistant getting paid 100% salary thought she was being wronged in some way!

With all the job loses going around, why don't people just count themselves lucky for just having one? "

i dont think expecting people on furlough or shielding to have to use up annual leave they already had booked, in line with the people working who are also still using their pre booked annual leave has anything at all do with being jealous

how on earth would businesses cope if just when everyone is supposed to come back to work they all have a full years entitlement to book off and use up

and how would the people still at work ever get to use their leave because there would be no cover

it just makes operational sense and its fairer for everyone

i dont understand this train of thought that people already at home would have lost their holidays... their time just now is 100% their own if not at work , they haven't lost that time, if anything they have even more of it and its great that they have an alternative way to get income instead of using up even more of their holidays , what people really mean is it's a waste of a holiday because they have an alternative way to be home and still get paid now and that was never the purpose of the system

So they find another job while the lock down is on?? "

Do you see how ridiculous that suggestion but not when you suggested the exact same thing?

By *erfume-LoverMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh West area

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/holiday-entitlement-and-pay-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Here is some rules

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Cal

Cal"

Not everyone got the letter!! My mates wife Dr told them today that due to her health condition they really must be shielding as a family but they hadn’t had a letter before

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I think that's a bit cheeky.

I wouldn't have any issue with the company including pre-booked holiday within a shielding period and quite frankly I think people who expect to that holiday back are selfish.

We should be all in this together, employers helping out employees and employees helping out employers.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Leave would generally be at the request of an employee and be revocable. This principle is covered by law, such as with leave that's revoked during health problems, sickness etc. With the legal protection of employees to use leave when they are fully able and want to, it could appear to be against the spirit of the legal rights that an employee has. If someone has underlying health problems deemed disabilities, there is also the potential for disability discrimination on the part of the employer. As disabilities are protected characteristics under the Equality Act, it would generally be the express desire of an organisations to want to accommodate their employees' needs in full. They should certainly be very careful of not treating such a member of staff as a scapegoat, appearing as victimisation and harassment.

Scunthorpe

Cal

-------

they havent sacrificed their holiday entitlement , it just happened to fall in a period when they were already home

if you have to take holidays from work just now would you believe you sacrificed your holiday entitlement? "

Yes I would, I only want to take my holidays when I choose to and when I can use it how I wish.

I will not book and time off until I can go and do "tourist things", not to stay at home.

Cal

Cal

Cal

Not everyone got the letter!! My mates wife Dr told them today that due to her health condition they really must be shielding as a family but they hadn’t had a letter before "

I don't get this "shielding as a family" thing.

Surely the wife should just maintain the recommended distance from other family members within the home. I am pretty sure a "shielding letter" only covers the named individual, not the whole household, so anyone else in that household should not be able to use it as a reason not to go to work.

"Yeah double the amount of time off while us poor bastards who have been made to work through it get fuck all"

My best mate works for a company who have given everyone on furlough their shutdown holidays back to take when they return to work, he has worked through the whole time (and with a 10% salary sacrifice) and is really pissed off. Because it’s a unionised site, he was told that he won’t get any priority on booking holidays when everyone gets back

By *eepminds67Couple  over a year ago

crewe

My understanding is if you fall ill whilst on annual leave you are entitled to claim these days back , you may need a doctors note but i would refer to staff handbook or check with HR on company policy , Citizens advice and Martin Lewis money saving expert good places to check.

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

My work furloughed those at risk, the rest of us had to either take unpaid leave or use up our holiday allowance. Not sure if they were right to do this.

By *igress69Woman  over a year ago

belfast

Daughter got a shielding letter and works from home x she still has to take her holidays if booked but then again she is working so if didn't take them she'd still be asked to work. HR would be best place to start

I'm shielding this is Day 73 of house arrest with at least another month to go) but am also lucky enough to have a full time job I can do at home.

Trust me, shielding is brutal. I know many people are in worse positions, and this situation is to protect me, but it's horrible being trapped indoors and having no end in sight. Please don't think shielding is a cop out.

By *inky guy 88Man  over a year ago

luton

"If someone is off work shielding because of the virus, should any prebooked annual leave during the 12 weeks have to be taken or should the employee be able to use it at another time?"

Assuming you are a PAYE employee If you are off work sick when you have holiday due you are entitled to take the Holiday at a different time, if this is not possible your employer may pay you for this time but the preferred option is to take the holiday at a later date.

Shielding is being treated in a similar way to being off sick, so similar policies should apply.

Would suggest discussing this with the HR department to agree in principle what will happen.

It’s all down to each individual company if they want to play good employer or bad employer, ACAS will just say try and work it out between you. I know a company that Furloughed half the workforce, everyone has to take half their holidays before the end of June if Furloughed or not, they say it’s because they will be busy the last quarter of the year and don’t want everyone off on holiday at the same time, maybe or maybe so the don’t have holiday pay to pay out if there are redundancies, nobody allowed to carry holidays over to next year either.

Cal

-------

if you have to take holidays from work just now would you believe you sacrificed your holiday entitlement?

Yes I would, I only want to take my holidays when I choose to and when I can use it how I wish.

I will not book and time off until I can go and do "tourist things", not to stay at home.

Cal"

well then you have missed the point of annual leave

its leave from work, time off to rest, not tourist leave ... and your work have no obligation to allow you to carry them over because you couldn't do touristy things on your time off

By *erriAnneTV/TS  over a year ago

The shire

It's hardly 12 weeks off is it. I've been sent home and told to keep away and I have to shield myself as I'm in a high risk group. It's hardly a holiday I'm having stuck at home having to rely on people dropping things at my door. When I do get back to work I fully expect some holidays to give me a break from all of this. It's no picnic you realise.

I would think for some company’s enforcing people to take holidays whilst on Furlough they may get bit on the bum as people will take sick leave later in the year when they are not sick if they are wanting to get away and have no holidays to take.

Scunthorpe

"

Cal

-------

well then you have missed the point of annual leave

its leave from work, time off to rest, not tourist leave ... and your work have no obligation to allow you to carry them over because you couldn't do touristy things on your time off "

But it isn't, it an earned allowance that I pay for whilst I am working. The fact that I have worked to accrue this allowance means that I have the right to decide when and how I use it. Holidays are not something that the employer "gives you", they just basically keep a bit of your wages each week to pay you when you choose to take the time off.

Cal

My work has made those sheilding for 12 weeks take atlest 1 weeks leave in that to keep it fair, and anyone who booked leave before all of this take it still,

We couldnt function later in the year if everyone on isolation wanted to rebook their leave forthe second half of thr year

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Our company said it you booked any leave during the Furlough period, you can't cancel them.

By *ominantMindMan  over a year ago

NW London

"They’ve been told any annual leave that they had asked for before going off work has to be taken as annual leave.

"

This is correct.

I manage this situation for a FTSE50 business.

Bedworth

My work has made those sheilding for 12 weeks take atlest 1 weeks leave in that to keep it fair, and anyone who booked leave before all of this take it still,

We couldnt function later in the year if everyone on isolation wanted to rebook their leave forthe second half of thr year"

Have they made those not shielding take leave too? If not then they could be in hot water as those shielding would be covered under the equality act and could claim disability discrimination

We couldnt function later in the year if everyone on isolation wanted to rebook their leave forthe second half of thr year

Have they made those not shielding take leave too? If not then they could be in hot water as those shielding would be covered under the equality act and could claim disability discrimination "

Yes, if we had leave booked we had to take it, no changeing holidays,

We work in a hotel, weve been encouraged to take annual leave while on furlough which after this much time off we are itching to get back to work and have had so much time off we dont need annual leave for a while! Although we always have 4 weeks at Christmas as we close, so we only have 8 days owing and I would rather have that as a buffer incase of an emergency or something as our annual leave runs until end of next March and no idea what will happen over the next 10 months.

Danish x

It’s really down to the employer, they can force annual leave to be taken in the period. (Ps il a director working in recruitment/employment)

So what will all these people do when the free money stops.

The virus hasn't gone away - yet they will all return back to work while me and so many others worked throughout.

I think you will find that was for key workers

By *ustKeepSwinging999Couple  over a year ago

Basingstoke

Employers can enforce annual leave. All stuff across my workplace had to have taken at least 10 days of leave by the end of May - so that pro-rata for the holiday year we've all taken some, including those on furlough. This means that as business once trade picks up we're not hindered by huge volumes of holiday to be taken.

And annual leave is intended to ensure you are restes from work, not that you have 2 weeks abroad. So those saying "but you can't go on holiday" don't have an argument against it

By *lack UhuruMan  over a year ago

Leeds/London

"If someone is off work shielding because of the virus, should any prebooked annual leave during the 12 weeks have to be taken or should the employee be able to use it at another time?"

An employee should be able to reclaim it as legally employees are not allowed to be on leave and sick at the same time

It's hardly 12 weeks off is it. I've been sent home and told to keep away and I have to shield myself as I'm in a high risk group. It's hardly a holiday I'm having stuck at home having to rely on people dropping things at my door. When I do get back to work I fully expect some holidays to give me a break from all of this. It's no picnic you realise. "

It's hardly 12 weeks off is it. I've been sent home and told to keep away and I have to shield myself as I'm in a high risk group. It's hardly a holiday I'm having stuck at home having to rely on people dropping things at my door. When I do get back to work I fully expect some holidays to give me a break from all of this. It's no picnic you realise.

"

So will you still be " shielding " when the free money stops?

"If someone is off work shielding because of the virus, should any prebooked annual leave during the 12 weeks have to be taken or should the employee be able to use it at another time?

An employee should be able to reclaim it as legally employees are not allowed to be on leave and sick at the same time"

Shielding isn’t sick though is it, it’s protection, isolating if got covid or suspected would only be sick.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Holidays can be taken without going away somewhere. We are both working from home but Mr ruggers has still taken his holiday that was booked and we will be taking another soon. In fact his work encouraged all their staff to do the same if they had holidays booked otherwise you would be getting everyone wanting holidays when it all opens up again and they are back in work.

It isn't fair on the employers really

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Even though my workplace closed down for lockdown, my usual weekly rota is fixed.

That is, I've always had Sundays and Mondays off, thus I haven't worked on Bank Holidays for the past 3 years.

Thus since March, I have had the Bank Hol Mondays OFF anyway.

My bosses will decide about the rest of my holidays once we reopen, as & when we do.

Bedworth

"So what will all these people do when the free money stops.

The virus hasn't gone away - yet they will all return back to work while me and so many others worked throughout.

"

Free money? All someone shielding is legally entitled to is SSP! If their employer decides to furlough them or pay the full pay then that’s the employer’s decision. There are very many people who are only getting the legal minimum!

Oh and to answer what happens when the money stops......... I personally will be staying at home on zero pay if my medical professionals advise that stopping shielding is a risk to my life!

Leeds/London

"If someone is off work shielding because of the virus, should any prebooked annual leave during the 12 weeks have to be taken or should the employee be able to use it at another time?

An employee should be able to reclaim it as legally employees are not allowed to be on leave and sick at the same time

Shielding isn’t sick though is it, it’s protection, isolating if got covid or suspected would only be sick. "

It may not be but my employers are happy to cancel any leave due to shielding because of COVID-19

Leeds/London

So will you still be " shielding " when the free money stops?"

What free money? Out great great grandchildren will be paying off this debt.

It's money to secure their employment so they do not lose their jobs and businesses up and down the country do not end up in adminstration or have to sack staff because they are not making money.

I think the free money your referring to is the money given to workshy individuals

"So what will all these people do when the free money stops.

Free money? All someone shielding is legally entitled to is SSP! If their employer decides to furlough them or pay the full pay then that’s the employer’s decision. There are very many people who are only getting the legal minimum!

Oh and to answer what happens when the money stops......... I personally will be staying at home on zero pay if my medical professionals advise that stopping shielding is a risk to my life!

"

And how will you pay your mortgage/ rent?

So self righteous.

Me and many others will be highly taxed for a really long time because of all the people "shielding"

It fucks me right off - I work with a lot of people that have issues - but they aren't entitled to anything other than SSP - which is less than £100 a week.

Living off of tax payers money isn't for everyone.

It's money to secure their employment so they do not lose their jobs and businesses up and down the country do not end up in adminstration or have to sack staff because they are not making money.

I think the free money your referring to is the money given to workshy individuals"

Yep the work shy individuals that are taking the piss "shielding"

I'm on a low income and pay so much money in tax to fund these peoe and like you said for many years to come.

I'm sick of it

It's hardly 12 weeks off is it. I've been sent home and told to keep away and I have to shield myself as I'm in a high risk group. It's hardly a holiday I'm having stuck at home having to rely on people dropping things at my door. When I do get back to work I fully expect some holidays to give me a break from all of this. It's no picnic you realise. "

its also no picnic for the people who have had to continue to work throughout.

its also no picnic for the people who have had to continue to work throughout."

Exactly!

Wearing PPE and the threat of getting the virus because you're not 'entitled' to anything.

I'm not sure I want to risk my life for a nation of selfish people.

Us 'Keyworkers' are quite frankly sick of it.

Everyone else has been given a paid 3 month holiday.

I'm actually fuming about it.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It isn't other peoples fault they were furloughed. They were told to by the Government. the people being shielded were to help the NHS stay on top of things.

Bedworth

I think the free money your referring to is the money given to workshy individuals

I'm on a low income and pay so much money in tax to fund these peoe and like you said for many years to come.

I'm sick of it"

Work shy individuals taking the piss shielding? Are you for real? Those of us shielding are doing so because our medical professionals feel that if we catch the virus there is a very high chance that we will die!!!! We are not sitting locked in our houses in solitary confinement for months on end just for fun!!!!

I know, let’s not bother with shielding, why don’t we allow 2 million people die? Ooh I know, let’s not wait for that to happen, why not just euthanise is all instead!!!!

"It isn't other peoples fault they were furloughed. They were told to by the Government. the people being shielded were to help the NHS stay on top of things. "

Yeah I know - I'm just a bit bitter at the moment as work is really hard at the moment.

People that had no choice to be furloughed are a different matter to the people 'shielding ' and quite a lot of them are taking the piss.

I work for a private healthcare company that provides care for a lot of vulnerable people and we just can't cope with the lack of staff at the moment - this is the first half day I've had in a long time.

We're all exhausted and sick and tired of all of it.

Bedworth

"It isn't other peoples fault they were furloughed. They were told to by the Government. the people being shielded were to help the NHS stay on top of things.

Yeah I know - I'm just a bit bitter at the moment as work is really hard at the moment.

People that had no choice to be furloughed are a different matter to the people 'shielding ' and quite a lot of them are taking the piss.

I work for a private healthcare company that provides care for a lot of vulnerable people and we just can't cope with the lack of staff at the moment - this is the first half day I've had in a long time.

"

If you’re not happy then find another job

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"It isn't other peoples fault they were furloughed. They were told to by the Government. the people being shielded were to help the NHS stay on top of things.

"

But they had no choice either, they were told to

If you’re not happy then find another job"

Thankyou.

I'm looking after all of you - Im one of the people you all clap for on Thursdays.

It's nice to be appreciated.

Thankyou.

I'm looking after all of you - Im one of the people you all clap for on Thursdays.

It's nice to be appreciated.

"

most do appreciate you. as shown on a Thursday. keep up the good work.

its also no picnic for the people who have had to continue to work throughout."

its no picnic for anyone really. people are either

out on the front line risking themselves but still getting paid

working from home, often all the hours under the sun because remote access is slower, still adapting, covering for team members with childcare issues but still getting paid

shielding still getting paid but never allowed to leave the house even for something as (un) exciting as the supermarket

on furlough with all the free time in the world but stressed that their job is about to disappear in front of their eyes

they all have elements to be thankful for and elements that suck

its ok for everyone to be a but frustrated with their own situation

its also ok to empathise with others facing a different struggle

Scotland - Aberdeen

"

its also no picnic for the people who have had to continue to work throughout.

its no picnic for anyone really. people are either

out on the front line risking themselves but still getting paid

working from home, often all the hours under the sun because remote access is slower, still adapting, covering for team members with childcare issues but still getting paid

shielding still getting paid but never allowed to leave the house even for something as (un) exciting as the supermarket

on furlough with all the free time in the world but stressed that their job is about to disappear in front of their eyes

they all have elements to be thankful for and elements that suck

its ok for everyone to be a but frustrated with their own situation

its also ok to empathise with others facing a different struggle "

Most definitely this^^^

I'm one of the one's working from home, yes I am getting paid, but I seem to be getting rota'd all the tougher jobs that take longer, why would that be? Probably because I don't have childcare issues etc, and pick up the slack that others don't seem to pick up on.

And yes you are right, working remotely takes a lot longer as just trying to open files is a nightmare!

But I am just getting on with things under stressful conditions I've never dealt with before.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

. It does seem a bit unfair and working for the civil service I know of a couple of colleagues that have tried that line which I feel is wrong in view of how many people have passed away due to Covid19.When I returned to work after 4 weeks off with flu like symptoms I was told by my manager I should take leave as normal as if the office opened and we were short staffed leave maybe declined on the grounds of business needs and may not be able to carry more than the normal 10 days over.

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

If you’re not happy then find another job"

Do you really see life as that simple at the moment? All those health professionals near burn out ...oh stuff that find another job. Really?

the wetlands

Do you really see life as that simple at the moment? All those health professionals near burn out ...oh stuff that find another job. Really?"

How did the health professionals get "burned out" I'd they were shielding ???

By *oft_SensualTV/TS  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I can see a few ETs taking place over this. Paid leave is a statutory requirement as is any contractual obligation between an employer/employee that goes above the statutory minimum.

You can't simply 'lose' parts of a statutory requirement.

I await with eager anticipation....

"I can see a few ETs taking place over this. Paid leave is a statutory requirement as is any contractual obligation between an employer/employee that goes above the statutory minimum.

You can't simply 'lose' parts of a statutory requirement.

I await with eager anticipation...."

using pre booked leave while you happen to be at home shielding is not losing it ... its using it

If you're shielding in my workplace you're not off sick, you're rota'd on as working from home so don't see an issue with taking annual leave during this time.

Scotland - Aberdeen

Also, have people even given any consideration to the one's 'shielding' who were told incorrectly that they had to 'shield' then to make matters worse, some doctors surgeries took it upon themselves to send out 'DNR' notices for them to sign and send back?

How much f'ing stress do you think that caused them?

Whilst all along they had it wrong! Just think about that, the next time you open your post and find a DNR notice!

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

Do you really see life as that simple at the moment? All those health professionals near burn out ...oh stuff that find another job. Really?

How did the health professionals get "burned out" I'd they were shielding ???"

They weren't shielding. They were working, hence the burn out.

Leeds/London

I'm sick of it

Work shy individuals taking the piss shielding? Are you for real? Those of us shielding are doing so because our medical professionals feel that if we catch the virus there is a very high chance that we will die!!!! We are not sitting locked in our houses in solitary confinement for months on end just for fun!!!!

I know, let’s not bother with shielding, why don’t we allow 2 million people die? Ooh I know, let’s not wait for that to happen, why not just euthanise is all instead!!!!"

Firstly when I said workshy, I meant those people who have been unemployed all their lives and have no intention of getting a job and are quite happy to sign on for the rest of their lives so you have completely misread my reply.

And if you read my opening line you will have read "What free money? Out great great grandchildren will be paying off this debt".

You're will have read this "So will you still be " shielding " when the free money stops?" But I can't see your reply to that.

And you've chosen tonight ignore my 2nf paragraph giving reasons as to why people are furloughed.

So I'll be absolutely clear for you. The workshy people I refer to are the unemployed who have been claiming benefits all their lives (Unemployment Benefits, JSA and now the unemployed element of Universal Credit). Not individuals who have been told to shield for whatever medical reason.

And to be absolutely clear! I'm not extracting the urine!

Have a nice day

the wetlands

How did the health professionals get "burned out" I'd they were shielding ???

They weren't shielding. They were working, hence the burn out. "

Then of course they can have their holidays I really don't see your point ???

By *ixenhixCouple  over a year ago

colchester

This should explain a few questions relating to Furlough and Annual Leave.

Q: Can furloughed workers cash in holiday to top up their 80% salary pay?

Furloughed workers can effectively cash in holiday to top up their 80% salary pay if the employer has chosen not to top up the pay. If holiday is taken the latest guidance confirms that employers should top up the holiday pay to the full normal salary amount. If it is not taken, annual leave continues to accrue during furlough.

If employees book holiday time to take off during furlough, employers can claim for 80% of the holiday pay through the grant, in the same way as normal salary. The 80% grant covers a significant proportion of the cost of this holiday pay, although this grant will reduce to 70% and 60% in September and October respectively.

Different scenarios may arise concerning holiday:

Employees who are worried about the drop in income may propose taking holiday between two dates on full pay. They may only agree to being furloughed before or after taking some leave on full salary for the holiday part of the period.

Employers who are not in a financial position to pay furloughed employees in full during annual leave can refuse employees’ requests for holiday in what would otherwise be a furlough period. The employer must give the normal notice which is as much notice of a refusal as the amount of leave requested, so two weeks’ notice if the leave requested was for two weeks.

Other employers may prefer employees to use up their holiday allowance rather than storing it up. There are normal rules enabling employers to require staff to take leave on certain days. However, requiring an employee to take annual leave during a period of furlough is not without risk. Special coronavirus rules on the ability to carry holiday forward into the next leave year have been introduced to prevent a build-up of leave to be used up by the end of the leave year; see the FAQs on this.

Q: Can employers require furloughed employees to use up their holiday leave during furlough?

Yes, employers can require furloughed employees to use up their take holiday leave during furlough. Employers may want to do this to reduce outstanding annual leave to be taken once the lockdown ends and businesses return to normal.

Standard employment law provisions (which are not frequently used) state that employers can require workers to take holiday as long as they give twice as many days’ notice as the period of leave the worker is required to take. For example, if the employer requires the worker to take two week's annual leave at a certain time, it must give the worker at least four weeks' advance notice (or whatever is outlined in the employment contract). Employers can ask workers to take or cancel holiday with less notice but need the workers' agreement to do so.

So, an employer could furlough the employee and require a proportion of that to be annual holiday as long as the requisite notice is given. Insisting an employee take annual leave during a period of furlough, when government advice prevents them from travelling freely anywhere, is not without risk. Employers should consider whether any restrictions including travel restrictions, socially distancing or self-isolation would prevent the worker from relaxin and enjoying their holiday.

The employees’ agreement should be sought, explaining why the employer wants them to take annual leave while on furlough. Employees may agree as it would be on full pay.

Updated Acas guidance and updated guidance from the Government, clarifies that employees can ask for and take holiday leave as usual while on furlough. However, this remains a complicated issue, particularly in relation to pay, and employers may need to seek specific advice, especially if a disagreement arises.

Q: Should employers pay furloughed employees for bank holidays that fall during furlough?

The furlough scheme is set to run until end of October, meaning there will be the following bank holidays during this time: 10 April, 13 April (not Scotland), 8 May, 25 May, 13 July (Northern Ireland only), 3 August (Scotland only) and 31 August (not Scotland).

Bank holidays can be part of the legal minimum 5.6 weeks' paid holiday. Employees who are usually entitled to take bank holidays off will still be able to take these holidays while they are on furlough, unless the employer agrees something different. For example, employees who are working from home may take those days off.

Based on the latest guidance, if employees usually work bank holidays then employers can agree that this is included in the grant payment. If employees usually take the bank holiday as leave then they must get their usual pay in full. Employers would either have to top up the grant amount to the employee's usual holiday pay, or give a day of holiday in lieu.

If bank holidays cannot be taken off due to coronavirus, employees can either:

use the holiday at a later date in their leave year; or

include the bank holidays in the four weeks' paid holiday that can be carried over and taken at any time over the next two holiday leave years.

Q: Do employers have to pay full holiday pay if holiday is taken during a furlough period?

Yes, employers have to pay full holiday pay if holiday is taken during a furlough period.

Based on extensive previous case law, holiday pay must be based on normal remuneration. This applies for at least the four weeks EU minimum leave and includes overtime, allowances, compulsory commission and bonuses, meaning employees do not get less pay when they are not working. However, discretionary bonuses and discretionary commission payments (including tips and tronc payments) and non-cash payments should currently be excluded, although the guidance on this may change.

Normal remuneration is assessed over an average of 52 weeks from April 2020 (formerly 12 weeks) so annual leave during furlough must be based on normal remuneration. Although it is more expensive to have an employee on holiday rather than furlough, the advantage for the employer is that the employee’s remaining holiday entitlement between now and the end of the holiday year is reduced.

Employers who require furloughed employees to take holiday can claim the 80% grant money from HMRC for employees on holiday leave but have to top the holiday pay to the full salary amount. This is in contrast to the furlough period where they can choose to top up pay (or not). The need to top up applies for at least the four weeks EU minimum leave. For the remaining 1.6 weeks there is a potential legal argument that an employer could get the employee to consent to just being paid the 80% but employers should probably pay the full amount for the entire holiday period too.

Holiday periods may give rise to complexities if employees are partially furloughed combined with part-time working under the flexible furlough scheme (in operation between 1 July and 31 October). The interrelationship between furlough and holiday is untested and legal advice may need to be taken if a problem arises.

Q: If furloughed workers do not book any holiday time does holiday leave accrue?

Yes, as employees remain employed during furlough leave statutory holiday will accrue during the furlough period. The statutory minimum holiday of 5.6 weeks per year will accrue, but the precise amount of holiday left will depend upon how much holiday the employee has already taken and how much they take during furlough.

If the employer provides contractual holiday, above the statutory amount, employers can ask the employees to agree this will not accrue during furlough. However, the right to accrue annual leave under the Working Time Regulations will continue unless the employee books part of the furlough period as leave.

Q: What happens to workers who have been unable to take their statutory annual leave entitlement due to the coronavirus lockdown or because they have been needed to work?

Workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave entitlement by the end of 2020 due to COVID-19 have a new legal right be able to carry it over into the next two leave years. Employers’ leave years will vary; in some cases this period aligns with the calendar year, in other cases the financial year, the academic year, or the anniversary of when the employee started employment.

UK workers are usually entitled to 28 days holiday per year including bank holidays. This entitlement cannot normally be carried forward into the next leave year unless the employee:

agrees this with the employer; or

is on long-term sickness absence; or

is on maternity leave and unable to take all of her entitlement as a result.

Payments in lieu of holiday are usually disallowed unless the worker is leaving the employer. However, this has been changed under amendments to the Working Time Regulations.

New provisions

To prevent workers losing their holiday and to enable key workers to keep working, the normal rules on carrying over annual leave have been modified. This will support provision of staff in key sectors (such as food and healthcare) during the pandemic without them losing out on holiday entitlement.

Employers can now allow up to four weeks (not the full 28 days) of unused leave to be carried into the next two leave years. The rules say that it must be ‘not reasonably practicable’ for the worker to take some, or all, of the holiday to which they are entitled due to the coronavirus. If so, they can carry four weeks forward for two years. The remaining 1.6 weeks of holiday can be carried forward by one year by agreement.

These amendments to the Working Time Regulations 1998 apply to all employees. Workers who do not have employee status such as agency workers, and some casual and zero-hours contract workers are also included (see Working Time (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations 2020). The only exceptions are those covered by regulations other than the Working Time Regulations 1998 including some merchant seamen, fishermen, and civil aviation staff, some armed forces staff and doctors in training to whom special rules apply.

The normal obligations on employers to ensure workers take their statutory entitlement in one year or incur a financial penalty are also lifted.

Q:We have zero-hour employees on furlough. When we calculate accrued holidays during furlough using the new 52-week reference period, are we basing this calculation on hours worked in that period or earnings? If weeks in that period include hours of holidays, are they included?

Zero-hour employees accrued holiday during furlough should be calculated in the same way as before furlough. Holiday pay during furlough is calculated using the new 52-week reference period (instead of the previous 12-week reference period).

It is easiest for employers to distinguish between whether they are working out length of holiday entitlement, or holiday pay for zero hours workers.

Holiday entitlement

Workers are entitled to 5.6 weeks’ annual leave (calculated pro-rata for part-time employees). For full time staff that equals 28 days per annum and can include the UK bank holidays. The Working Time Regulations do not specify how to calculate this entitlement for zero hours workers. However, there is some Government guidance. Employers can calculate average days or hours worked each week based on the reference period.

Zero hours workers employed for a full leave year are entitled to 5.6 weeks’ statutory leave or 28 days. Problems can arise where workers work only part of a leave year in which case statutory holiday entitlement will be calculated by multiplying 5.6 weeks by the number of months the employee has worked in the holiday year divided by 12 (eg 5.6 x (X ÷ 12) . The Government guidance explains more on how to calculate this.

For example, a zero hours contract worker who has been furloughed for 6 months before the end of the holiday year would have an annual leave entitlement relating to the furlough period of: 5.6 weeks x (6 ÷ 12) = 2.8 weeks holiday or 14 days.

It can be simpler for some zero hours workers to have their holiday calculated in days.

Holiday pay

A worker on furlough should have holiday pay based on their normal rate of pay (ie their pre-furlough wage). The calculation of holiday pay is based on earnings, not hours worked. The average pay from the employee’s last 52 weeks of earnings is used as a reference period to calculate the holiday pay. Unpaid leave or other periods where no earnings are received are ignored.

The reference period for calculating holiday pay changed to 52 weeks in April 2020. This was planned before the coronavirus pandemic and is nothing to do with the furlough scheme. However, furloughed employees’ holiday pay can be calculated using the same reference period as for non-furloughed employees.

For workers on a zero-hours contract, the holiday pay they receive is based on their average pay over the previous 52 weeks worked. The reference period increase to 52 weeks from 6 April 2020 applies to all workers including those on zero hours. This period operates in the same way as the previous 12-week period.

Employers count back across the last 52 weeks that the employee has worked and received any pay for work in that week. Weeks in which no pay was received do not count towards the 52-week average. If employees have worked for less than 52 weeks, employers should use as many full weeks of work as possible to calculate the holiday pay.

Because the reference period must include the last 52 weeks for which there were actual earnings, any weeks where no work was performed are not included. So, the reference period may go further back than 52 weeks from the furlough period. Employers should not look back any more than 104 weeks. If the employee has less than 52 weeks in which they earned anything during the last 104 weeks, then the reference period is shortened to that lower number of weeks.

Contractual overtime worked during the reference period and certain other pay components should also be included in holiday pay calculations.

The Government’s holiday entitlement calculator helps calculate how much holiday a worker on irregular hours or a zero-hours contract is entitled to within a current leave year.

Holidays already taken

The reference period must only include weeks for which the worker was actually paid. Any weeks in the 52 period including hours of paid holidays are included. Weeks where workers were not paid (as they did not work) are discounted. Whether holiday during the 52 weeks of the reference period is taken into account depends on the type of worker that has been furloughed. Government guidance suggests that:

Workers without regular working hours: for these workers, previous holiday pay weeks should be included in the holiday pay calculation to calculate an average week’s pay. This is because the holiday pay for the holiday week is remuneration which should be taken into account in the reference period for those who work irregular hours.

Workers with regular working hours but variable pay: for these workers, previous holiday pay in the reference period should be excluded from the holiday pay calculation to calculate the average hourly pay. This is because only pay for hours actually worked is taken into account. For these workers a full week of holiday (or week in which there was no work for any other reason) is excluded from the holiday calculation.

For hourly workers who have taken part of a week as holiday, only the hours in which they work are used to calculate their average hourly rate for the reference period. That rate is then used to calculate the holiday pay due based on usual working hours during the reference period.

For each week that is not taken into account the employer would then have to use an extra week counting backwards to reach 52 weeks’ worth of pay data.

the wetlands

Maybe those on furlough wanting to take holidays after they go back to work should reflect on the fact that it's the taxes of those still working and taxes for many years to come that are the difference between them getting paid or being made redundant which could have been the case with many companies

Be thankful for what you have and grateful for anything more.

By *exybecs777TV/TS  over a year ago

Weymouth

Cal

They would not be shielding UNLESS they had a letter from a clinician stating that they was at an increased risk. How would you know somebodies underlying health issues? I get that it is annoying but I have 2 friends both shielding and they are Struggling with being in the whole time

Cal

They would not be shielding UNLESS they had a letter from a clinician stating that they was at an increased risk. How would you know somebodies underlying health issues? I get that it is annoying but I have 2 friends both shielding and they are Struggling with being in the whole time"

We are all pretty open with each other at work. In the beginning, she wanted to use the fact schools had shut as a reason not to come to work until we were classified as key workers so her children could attend school.

She didn’t get a letter telling her to shield, I can absolutely guarantee if she had, I’d have known about it as she would have been vocal about it (not in a nasty way, just that it’s something at work we would have all discussed).

» Add a new message to this topic