FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > GYMs being open soon?

GYMs being open soon?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m missing the gym so badly, I wonder if they’ll be part of the businesses opening next month.

Also how would gyms supervise the attendances?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Gyms will be one ofvthe last places to open.

At one point it was suggested by the government it could be as late as October but their have been representations made and it likely to be sooner but certainly will be in the latter stages. Expect reduced numbers, reduced equipment, mandatory wiping down of all kit

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"

Also how would gyms supervise the attendances? "

Prior to lockdown the gym I use took measures like cancelling group classes, taping off equipment to allow for social distancing and restricted the maximum number of people allowed inside at a time. This was in addition to extra cleaning and more hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes being provided.

By *ymguy1966Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

My gym never shut

Yeah unfortunately I think gyms will be one of the last..Missing it terribly. Doing exercises at home but Missing the perving too

By *torm in a G cupWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Long White Cloud

When the gyms reopened in NZ it was maximum occupancy numbers, contact tracing, minimum distances between machines and smaller class sizes for group fitness.

My gym has swipe card to go in and to leave, so no need for any other type of contact tracing.

Clean machines before and after use. Hand sanitizer on entry and before leaving.

It works well.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"My gym never shut "

Ones in your house don't count

By *iddle ManMan  over a year ago

Walsall

It has been stated that gyms will be on eof the last to open and with heavily modified regimes, it will be totally different to how it was before, that said that's what supermarkets are supposed to be like but once inside its everyone to themselves and most people take no notice of social distancing. Fair to say if gyms open they might restrict numbers somehow and as the reasons for it being last due to the nature of the exercise and bodily fluids expelled it will be in the high risk catagory of activities.

"My gym never shut "

Oh lucky you POS haha

"Yeah unfortunately I think gyms will be one of the last..Missing it terribly. Doing exercises at home but Missing the perving too "

Perving FTW

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think like others that they will be amongst the last businesses to open. Mine, like others here, had the distancing, smaller classes, cleaning constantly and santiser everywhere. There'll be an extension of that.

It would do the country a lot of good to get them open but they will be viewed as high risk, especially if another wave comes

By *69BANMan  over a year ago

Reading

This is when living in a large country with a small population wins! My box stayed open albeit with outside classes only (and we have to wipe down and clean our equipment after each wod). Gyms opened a few weeks ago

Its OK for the government and all to talk about opening businesses with reduced numbers to allow social distancing but that will make many of them not a viable business...how can gyms restaurants bars open with reduced turnover but the same overheads...only way if you half the customers is increase the prices to cover the costs..

By *hy_bangor_bi-girlWoman  over a year ago

Bangor

"Its OK for the government and all to talk about opening businesses with reduced numbers to allow social distancing but that will make many of them not a viable business...how can gyms restaurants bars open with reduced turnover but the same overheads...only way if you half the customers is increase the prices to cover the costs.."

And this is the point being made by vintners association and hospitality unions every where.

The amount of redundancies in the hospitality trade will be frightening.

Millions will lose their jobs with ham if the turnover and the same am line of overheads.

A wetherspoons nearby has announced plans to re open when it can with, get this : 2 full time staff, 2! Cut from 23 bar staff to 2. I hope that isn't the trend across the board.

I am training at home, but I think they will reopen in october, few more months to wait there.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Hope they open soon

"I am training at home, but I think they will reopen in october, few more months to wait there."

I train at home too, but I find there are to many distractions.

I like to get in the gym throw some heavy weights around for an hour and a half then leave.

It's my anti depressant.

"I am training at home, but I think they will reopen in october, few more months to wait there.

I like to get in the gym throw some heavy weights around for an hour and a half then leave.

It's my anti depressant. "

That is good. I find training at home saves you hours getting ready and also it is abit more fun. I have noticed I got better results cos my nutrition is more on point as I can have a meal straight after and take advantage on the anabolic window better.

"I am training at home, but I think they will reopen in october, few more months to wait there.

It's my anti depressant. That is good. I find training at home saves you hours getting ready and also it is abit more fun. I have noticed I got better results cos my nutrition is more on point as I can have a meal straight after and take advantage on the anabolic window better."

Aye there is that .

But I have a wife ,2 daughters and 3 granddaughters.

To many women I need my own space lol.

liverpool

It's going to be like jan when they do open again.

It's my anti depressant. That is good. I find training at home saves you hours getting ready and also it is abit more fun. I have noticed I got better results cos my nutrition is more on point as I can have a meal straight after and take advantage on the anabolic window better.

Aye there is that .

But I have a wife ,2 daughters and 3 granddaughters.

To many women I need my own space lol.

"

That is right so that would keep you busy too, yeah I am single so I got lots of free time on my hands with my training and nutrition too lol.

I miss my gym terribly. X

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

It's my anti depressant. That is good. I find training at home saves you hours getting ready and also it is abit more fun. I have noticed I got better results cos my nutrition is more on point as I can have a meal straight after and take advantage on the anabolic window better."

Kind weather and being able to be flexible with scheduling means I have been able to go on walks and runs pretty much when I feel like around WFH. Not feeling like I don't have time to prepare food means clean eating has been made easier as has sticking to intermittent fasting. Besides a Burger King yesterday and fish and chips the week before, I have not had a cheat meal in over two months. In many ways the lock down has benefited. On the downside, not being able to lift heavy weights will have an impact once summer is over when attempting to bulk.

By *ampshirehotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Hampshire

I have missed the gym terribly!!

My working hours increased so I've not really had the time to train at home. I have no weights at home anyway. I've trained sporadically and it shows now. It was my anti depressant and my chance to perve!

Anyone know a good PT? Someone who would stick to the social distancing rule......

gyms and cinemas will be the last I think.. I have lost all my definition in 9 weeks.. I am a pudding..

"gyms and cinemas will be the last I think.. I have lost all my definition in 9 weeks.. I am a pudding.. "

liverpool

"I have missed the gym terribly!!

My working hours increased so I've not really had the time to train at home. I have no weights at home anyway. I've trained sporadically and it shows now. It was my anti depressant and my chance to perve!

Anyone know a good PT? Someone who would stick to the social distancing rule......"

Same here.

Best way to distress.

Used to love going for a swimm and a steam aswell.They cant open quick enough.

"It's going to be like jan when they do open again."

Where did you hear that?

Gyms are being prepared to open in july.

Gyms in other countrys have reopened but require a face mask. (Fuck that if our gyms in UK require to wear face masks ill just keep training at home).

liverpool

"It's going to be like jan when they do open again.

Where did you hear that?

Gyms in other countrys have reopened but require a face mask. (Fuck that if our gyms in UK require to wear face masks ill just keep training at home).

"

Sorry I meant its going to be like jan when everyone goes The gym again

"It's going to be like jan when they do open again.

Where did you hear that?

Sorry I meant its going to be like jan when everyone goes The gym again"

Thats prob true.

I think gyms will have a capacity limit too for a short while delending on size of gym it could vary to how many people are allowed in at once.

Just had a quick look on internet to see if my july was correct or not.

Seems like that are aiming for july 4th.

They are doing some showcase gyms in june to test how it will be.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/05/28/gyms-fitness-centres-could-reopen-july-rules-could/

Just get creative with the workouts man. Been really impressed with the "influencers" on insta putting out imaginative home workouts

It's my anti depressant. That is good. I find training at home saves you hours getting ready and also it is abit more fun. I have noticed I got better results cos my nutrition is more on point as I can have a meal straight after and take advantage on the anabolic window better. Kind weather and being able to be flexible with scheduling means I have been able to go on walks and runs pretty much when I feel like around WFH. Not feeling like I don't have time to prepare food means clean eating has been made easier as has sticking to intermittent fasting. Besides a Burger King yesterday and fish and chips the week before, I have not had a cheat meal in over two months. In many ways the lock down has benefited. On the downside, not being able to lift heavy weights will have an impact once summer is over when attempting to bulk. "

Yep sadly

By *ampshirehotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Hampshire

"gyms and cinemas will be the last I think.. I have lost all my definition in 9 weeks.. I am a pudding.. "

You look amazing!! But I know what you mean. My shoulders had so much definition....

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I love pudding

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Its OK for the government and all to talk about opening businesses with reduced numbers to allow social distancing but that will make many of them not a viable business...how can gyms restaurants bars open with reduced turnover but the same overheads...only way if you half the customers is increase the prices to cover the costs.."

I saw a restaurateur on tv making that point. He had a small restaurant that did 30 covers. He could only do 10 covers under the social distancing rule, meaning he'd have to charge £300 a plate to make his business viable. A non starter.

My Gym has been given directive to start putting a plan forward for a August opening...

Total mess though as they are suggesting open two hours... Clean... And then reopen with new people.

Goijg to cost a fortune.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I really need the swimming pools to be open x I may look at open water swimming x

No face mask required at gyms here in NZ.

Swimming pools open here now too. I was open water swimming til they did. Only 12 degrees in the harbour lol.

Maximum of 2 swimmers per lane for distancing and no showers or spa pool.

I just give our examples as Boris does seem to be following some of Jacinda Ardern's lockdown level guidelines.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Swimming pools open here now too. I was open water swimming til they did. Only 12 degrees in the harbour lol.

Maximum of 2 swimmers per lane for distancing and no showers or spa pool.

I just give our examples as Boris does seem to be following some of Jacinda Ardern's lockdown level guidelines.

"

I hope so .. as my joints are suffering as my physio is all done in water x

Home workouts are gonna continue to be the way forward I guess.

I’ve taken walks to the park but they’re getting so packed at the moment.

Being a pudding, that hits home haha

"Home workouts are gonna continue to be the way forward I guess.

I’ve taken walks to the park but they’re getting so packed at the moment.

Being a pudding, that hits home haha"

It's hard to home gym

"Just get creative with the workouts man. Been really impressed with the "influencers" on insta putting out imaginative home workouts "

"Influencers" & "Insta". 2 words as offensive as "Liverpool" & "FC"

I personally find wrking out at home is boring as fuck unless you have a proper set up.

I own a dumbell/barbell set and my shit broadband means I can't even stream online workouts like "Insanity" that was gonna whip my fat middle aged arse into lockdown shape.

I guess if you're already ripped then maintaining isn't difficult in the current climate but I'm seriously struggling to find the variety of exercise to motivate me to get me back in shape.

By *hubaysiWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"It has been stated that gyms will be on eof the last to open and with heavily modified regimes, it will be totally different to how it was before, that said that's what supermarkets are supposed to be like but once inside its everyone to themselves and most people take no notice of social distancing. Fair to say if gyms open they might restrict numbers somehow and as the reasons for it being last due to the nature of the exercise and bodily fluids expelled it will be in the high risk catagory of activities. "

A gym would be the last place I would go to....very high risk with all that sweat flying around. A breeding ground for germs no matter how much sanitizer is provided!

"Just get creative with the workouts man. Been really impressed with the "influencers" on insta putting out imaginative home workouts

I personally find wrking out at home is boring as fuck unless you have a proper set up.

I own a dumbell/barbell set and my shit broadband means I can't even stream online workouts like "Insanity" that was gonna whip my fat middle aged arse into lockdown shape.

I guess if you're already ripped then maintaining isn't difficult in the current climate but I'm seriously struggling to find the variety of exercise to motivate me to get me back in shape."

I am keeping maintained but that's it .

I need the gym to build.

To many distractions when I am home gyming.

"Its OK for the government and all to talk about opening businesses with reduced numbers to allow social distancing but that will make many of them not a viable business...how can gyms restaurants bars open with reduced turnover but the same overheads...only way if you half the customers is increase the prices to cover the costs..

I saw a restaurateur on tv making that point. He had a small restaurant that did 30 covers. He could only do 10 covers under the social distancing rule, meaning he'd have to charge £300 a plate to make his business viable. A non starter."

He was 100 a plate before?

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Just get creative with the workouts man. Been really impressed with the "influencers" on insta putting out imaginative home workouts

I guess if you're already ripped then maintaining isn't difficult in the current climate but I'm seriously struggling to find the variety of exercise to motivate me to get me back in shape.

I need the gym to build.

To many distractions when I am home gyming."

Then go to the park for exercise. Walk or run in the feesh air.

I need the gym to build.

To many distractions when I am home gyming.

Then go to the park for exercise. Walk or run in the feesh air."

walking or running does not build muscle mass

I think reopening gyms would be a bad move. Strikes me as an ideal enviroment for a virus to spread tbh. The humidity, everyone breathing and sweating all over everything. The little viruses would be in their element...

I’d love them to reopen! But I’m happy to do most body weight stuff until they do and it’s safe. X

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Guy For 20’s-30’s Girls

If you can go shopping in Primark, you can go to the gym. It’s time they were opened.

People need them for their well being, mental health, physical health & social interaction.

"If you can go shopping in Primark, you can go to the gym. It’s time they were opened.

People need them for their well being, mental health, physical health & social interaction. "

Exactly this.

"If you can go shopping in Primark, you can go to the gym. It’s time they were opened.

People need them for their well being, mental health, physical health & social interaction. "

It goes to show the absolute state of this country when they open pastie shops before fitness facilities

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Very true, but people rarely spend an hour or more sweating, breathing heavily and in proximity with the same people in primark

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think reopening gyms would be a bad move. Strikes me as an ideal enviroment for a virus to spread tbh. The humidity, everyone breathing and sweating all over everything. The little viruses would be in their element..."

Yes, gyms already spread pathogens before this.

People need them for their well being, mental health, physical health & social interaction.

Very true, but people rarely spend an hour or more sweating, breathing heavily and in proximity with the same people in primark"

You've obviously never been to Primark in Swansea

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

Walking and running very definitely builds muscle mass.

the wetlands

Very true, but people rarely spend an hour or more sweating, breathing heavily and in proximity with the same people in primark

You've obviously never been to Primark in Swansea "

I wouldn't be in primark AANYWHERE

"Walking and running very definitely builds muscle mass."

No it burns calories and fat but it doesn't build muscle mass.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Can't say I fully understand the logic behind the government's open for business criteria. You can cram onto public transport, fly on a plane, hold mass demonstrations but you can't invite family to your home, sit too close to your work colleagues or workout in a gym.

"Walking and running very definitely builds muscle mass.

No it burns calories and fat but it doesn't build muscle mass."

It may tone to a degree. Sprints and uphill running may build some muscle.

No it burns calories and fat but it doesn't build muscle mass. It may tone to a degree. Sprints and uphill running may build some muscle. "

Agreed but not muscle mass.

Only lifting heavy weights will do that for you.

liverpool

Heard they may be planning to open early July.

Fingers crossed.

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

No honestly, you are wrong. Yes it burns calories and yes it burns fat but it also increases bone density, aerobic capacity and builds high quality,dense muscle. And the muscle is where you need it rather than the worthless pumped up effect.

No honestly, you are wrong. Yes it burns calories and yes it burns fat but it also increases bone density, aerobic capacity and builds high quality,dense muscle. And the muscle is where you need it rather than the worthless pumped up effect."

I will stick to what I know and you can stick to what you know

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

According to the The Times this morning, it looks like the government are trying to find a way for Gyms and Swimming Pools to open in July.

I really hope so. I'm really missing swimming

liverpool

"According to the The Times this morning, it looks like the government are trying to find a way for Gyms and Swimming Pools to open in July.

I really hope so. I'm really missing swimming

"

Hope so

Correct.

Eva X

Gyms tarted releasing some guidelines near me.

1 hour time slots, must be booked etc.

No good for me, 30-40 minutes to warm up and do mobility work.

Glad I've put a gym in my garage now

liverpool

I reckon if it's a busy gym you may have to book it like you do with a class

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I am a swimmer and have been sent details of the rules for swimming when pool opens,cannot wait

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

This is our worry. That with social distancing in place, that many wont be able to use the gym. I know not many will be in a position to pay for a membership they can't use. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

By *HaRiFMan  over a year ago

Beyond the shadows.

With many people trying out zoom class from the comfort of their homes, more people taking up running or waking or transitioning to body weight exercises. The fitness landscape has probably changed and most likely less people will be opting to renew their gym memberships.

I’ve been going to my PT 3/4 times a week since it’s been allowed again for a few weeks now - can’t relay how I felt to get back. We’re outside and social distancing - sanitising - the PTs although not working every day - could be. I for one, because of how I know how OCD the PTs are with cleanliness, will be going back to my gym when it reopens! Keeping me fit - and sane!! X

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

"Its OK for the government and all to talk about opening businesses with reduced numbers to allow social distancing but that will make many of them not a viable business...how can gyms restaurants bars open with reduced turnover but the same overheads...only way if you half the customers is increase the prices to cover the costs..

This is our worry. That with social distancing in place, that many wont be able to use the gym. I know not many will be in a position to pay for a membership they can't use. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out."

Some of the classes I did were already difficult to get in, but the gym did have some quieter times. If the class sizes were effectively halved, they could be impossible to get in, but more importantly the membership fees could well escalate to cover the reduced numbers. Whilst the price increase may be fine for many of us, you need to weigh up the value for money. They could then be in a vicious circle.

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

"With many people trying out zoom class from the comfort of their homes, more people taking up running or waking or transitioning to body weight exercises. The fitness landscape has probably changed and most likely less people will be opting to renew their gym memberships. "

This has crossed my mind. Running doesnt interest me at all and neither do zoom classes, but I'm doing more calisthenic based stuff. I'm just unsure how far it can take me compared to traditional weighted exercise.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Mate works for a national gym.

He says it could be a headache, they have been told to remove the heavy weights, section off equipment to allow 2m separation, gym classes will be smaller and you might have to use a time slot system. Not sure how it will work, but the showers and changing rooms could be closed.

This night all change by the time they open.

By *merald Eyes XWoman  over a year ago

Can you find me….

My gym seems to think they will be open if government allows.

It will be book on app and only allowing a certain amount of people in....

No nothing else at present about it .... eg cleaning , distance, wiping down equipment

Gyms, saunas, and jaquzzi's.. rank places. All manner of germs live in them.. hope my local one uses the time closes to have angood bloody clean

This is our worry. That with social distancing in place, that many wont be able to use the gym. I know not many will be in a position to pay for a membership they can't use. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Some of the classes I did were already difficult to get in, but the gym did have some quieter times. If the class sizes were effectively halved, they could be impossible to get in, but more importantly the membership fees could well escalate to cover the reduced numbers. Whilst the price increase may be fine for many of us, you need to weigh up the value for money. They could then be in a vicious circle."

I use a hardcore local gym .

Which wouldn't be a problem to book a time as I have all evening to go.

But when I am working away from home i use a well known national gym and if they half the size of people allowed in then my membership will be cancelled.

As they are full to the brim most of the evenings to start with.

"With many people trying out zoom class from the comfort of their homes, more people taking up running or waking or transitioning to body weight exercises. The fitness landscape has probably changed and most likely less people will be opting to renew their gym memberships.

This has crossed my mind. Running doesnt interest me at all and neither do zoom classes, but I'm doing more calisthenic based stuff. I'm just unsure how far it can take me compared to traditional weighted exercise."

Wouldn’t bet on it, I read yesterday they’d done some survey or other and 87% of people were keeping their gym memberships! 1 in 7 of the population have one.

"With many people trying out zoom class from the comfort of their homes, more people taking up running or waking or transitioning to body weight exercises. The fitness landscape has probably changed and most likely less people will be opting to renew their gym memberships.

This has crossed my mind. Running doesnt interest me at all and neither do zoom classes, but I'm doing more calisthenic based stuff. I'm just unsure how far it can take me compared to traditional weighted exercise.

Wouldn’t bet on it, I read yesterday they’d done some survey or other and 87% of people were keeping their gym memberships! 1 in 7 of the population have one. "

I've carried on paying mine throughout lockdown to support my gym so it can hopefully reopen as soon allowed

"With many people trying out zoom class from the comfort of their homes, more people taking up running or waking or transitioning to body weight exercises. The fitness landscape has probably changed and most likely less people will be opting to renew their gym memberships. "
All good and fine when it is nice and sunny. Not sure we'll see many folk out in bad weather. Plus the novelty of those resistance bands or that pull up bar will probably have worn off after several months. Until recently I liked to use mine to hang clothes on to dry

Gyms will be opening 4th July from what I've heard limited numbers so many places will have a book in system

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Gyms here are allowed to open on the 29th June. Our own gym is not opening until the 20th July and it was quite a busy one so will be interesting to see this week what their guidelines are going to be. Could very well be that we will be just adding to our home gym and cancelling our memberships

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Gonna be similar to guitar shops that are open, reduced numbers, sanitising stations, equipment wiped after each use.

even before we had the virus it was a rule that all gym equipment had to be wiped down, sanitised before moving on to next work out bay

it worked well, all benches, squat racks etc had to be fully wiped down after using and we all ensured this was done.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Gyms been open here all along. Drove past yesterday they were doing circuits in the car park.

Off for a spin class today got my gloves and mask ready. Gonna be a tough one in this heat.

By *arentsgonebadCouple  over a year ago

sheffield

October don't be so daft lol they will be open by the middle of July without a doubt , spoke to the manager of our gym yesterday and he's been given the provisional green light for the 4th of July same as pubs and hair dressers , only thing not aloud yet is our football league to restart as they can't put things in place for that eg sanitising and such on

"I am training at home, but I think they will reopen in october, few more months to wait there."

By *oodVibesxMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I really hope so.. Loosing motivation training at home

Central

"Gyms been open here all along. Drove past yesterday they were doing circuits in the car park.

Off for a spin class today got my gloves and mask ready. Gonna be a tough one in this heat. "

Are those gyms all independent? It would be good to know where they are as many are losing out on the benefits of gyms vs home exercise and home facilities. I really do.

I won't be going back to my gym,anyway I found all that huffing, puffing and grunting all a bit too much - and the men were just as bad.

Formulated a great outdoor regime and it's free

Manchester (she/her)

I think I'll be pausing my gym membership for awhile when they reopen. Mine are talking about their plans, but I'll watch from a distance while they work out the details.

[Removed by poster at 23/06/20 11:58:51]

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"Gyms been open here all along. Drove past yesterday they were doing circuits in the car park.

Off for a spin class today got my gloves and mask ready. Gonna be a tough one in this heat.

Are those gyms all independent? It would be good to know where they are as many are losing out on the benefits of gyms vs home exercise and home facilities. I really do. "

Yes independent. I guess it’s not worth the big chains getting creative like the family run ones who have to personally foot the overheads.

Cornwall

Are those gyms all independent? It would be good to know where they are as many are losing out on the benefits of gyms vs home exercise and home facilities. I really do.

Yes independent. I guess it’s not worth the big chains getting creative like the family run ones who have to personally foot the overheads.

"

There are some smaller independent ones running outdoor small classes but very few. Most of the larger ones near me would have real issues getting anything like spin bikes outside. Currently as the maximum group numbers should only be 5 participants plus the trainer, it only really suits the smaller independent ones. Wouldn't be worth a centre employing someone to take such a small class. Hopefully some positive news in tonight's announcement

By *peak and SpellCouple  over a year ago

Greenwich, SE LONDON

We can't wait, but fear it will be a very different experience for the time being.

"I really hope so.. Loosing motivation training at home"

Done nothing since April. Need aircon!

According today's announcement outdoor gyms can open but not then I may have misunderstood.

By *averman007Man  over a year ago

Liverpool

Gyms swimming pools, bowling alleys nightclubs, dance studios and soft play centres, remain closed, holiday places can open, 1 metre rule introduced from 4th July.

"Gyms swimming pools, bowling alleys nightclubs, dance studios and soft play centres, remain closed, holiday places can open, 1 metre rule introduced from 4th July. "

Thank you thats what i thought but I was struggling to follow it.

"According today's announcement outdoor gyms can open but not then I may have misunderstood."

Where are these outdoor gyms??

Never seen one with a rack of dumbbells etc.

Indoor gyms will remain closed!

"Indoor gyms will remain closed! "

Get fat and unhealthy in the pub is ok .

But no gym ?

"Indoor gyms will remain closed!

But no gym ?"

But you exercise without a gym.

"Indoor gyms will remain closed! "

This is ridiculous. He closed pubs, bars and restaurants and gyms all on the same day - 20 March, yet he’s not reopening them all at the same time??

So, it’s gonna be another 3 weeks from July 4 before it’s reviewed again. By then they’ll have been closed for 18 weeks!!

"

This is ridiculous. He closed pubs, bars and restaurants and gyms all on the same day - 20 March, yet he’s not reopening them all at the same time??

"

It's really beyond stupid, we've been lucky that our gym have lent us an olympic bar, some plates and dumbbells and are giving us PT via zoom.

The same gym has taken loads of steps to prepare with a hope that they could still do do PT sessions with no more than 4 people in the gym at once, but now they can't offer that but it's OK to go and get d*unk in a pub.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

So, it’s gonna be another 3 weeks from July 4 before it’s reviewed again. By then they’ll have been closed for 18 weeks!! "

I think it is sad how people are so addicted to gyms. For me getting the schools reopened so kids can be educated should be the No1 priority.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"

I think it is sad how people are so addicted to gyms. For me getting the schools reopened so kids can be educated should be the No1 priority."

I don't have kids. So the gym is my priority. If education was such a priority hundreds of kids would have been doing lessons last week, not sat on Southend seafront with their parents.

Cornwall

So, it’s gonna be another 3 weeks from July 4 before it’s reviewed again. By then they’ll have been closed for 18 weeks!!

I think it is sad how people are so addicted to gyms. For me getting the schools reopened so kids can be educated should be the No1 priority."

Selfish it may be, but many including me will look at what affects us most. I don't have kids so whilst I understand the issue with the schools, it doesn't affect me directly. Gym attendance does

That’s because people who don’t go to gyms, just don’t get it. I go to the gym for my mental health, well being and social interaction. There’s no tonic like it. Google the studies.

Resistance training and building muscle is vital to long term health. Burns fat. It’ not only about doing cardio. If all you do is run, cycle etc, you lose muscle mass. Everyone young and old, men and women should be incorporating resistance training into their lives.

And the irony is, the decision to not open them comes from Johnson who looks like he’s never lifted and doesn’t take care of himself. If he had done he may well not have ended up in intensive care with Corona. Go figure.

liverpool

Really thought they would have been open in a weeks

By *peak and SpellCouple  over a year ago

Greenwich, SE LONDON

Completely gutted. I know it wouldn't be the same, but the thought of them opening soon was a shining beacon.

Back to bloody Zoom / Insta classes I guess.

But no gym ?

But you exercise without a gym. "

I have a home gym set up.

But I have no place to go heavy weights at home.

My idea of a gym is different to your idea of a gym I think

How can they open pubs but not gyms?? Most people at gyms are concerned about there health. 5 pints at the dog and whistle and no one's gonna care about distancing.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

The Government . . .

Hopes to open gyms by mid-July

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden has said the government is hoping to reopen gyms and leisure facilities in mid-July.

Earlier today, the prime minister said outdoor gyms and playgrounds could open but indoor gyms, spas and swimming pools would remain closed.

"How can they open pubs but not gyms?? Most people at gyms are concerned about there health. 5 pints at the dog and whistle and no one's gonna care about distancing."

This! People distancing in a gym with strict procedures in place with frequent cleaning of stations & equiment which will be compulsory, represents far less risk than a bunch of mates meeting up down the pub to blow off steam after 3 months of lockdown.

Again this stupid incompetent government never think it through properly. Clowns.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

Pure gym will be open soon , the system they had before lockdown was fine, restricted capacity using tech , cleaning , spacing , just common sense biros control.

By *ewcouplemidsCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Agree totally most gyms can implement social distancing and regular cleaning

Some of the larger franchises could make people pre book hour slots and as most use a sign in system owners would know who was in contact with who

After all the rioting I would of thought pubs would of been last places to open

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

I understood that the announcement was....outdoor gyms can open, indoor gyms to stay shut

"How can they open pubs but not gyms?? Most people at gyms are concerned about there health. 5 pints at the dog and whistle and no one's gonna care about distancing.

This! People distancing in a gym with strict procedures in place with frequent cleaning of stations & equiment which will be compulsory, represents far less risk than a bunch of mates meeting up down the pub to blow off steam after 3 months of lockdown.

Again this stupid incompetent government never think it through properly. Clowns. "

And add the fact that im reeeeeaaaallly missing the gym.

By *parklesueTV/TS  over a year ago

Middleton

"It has been stated that gyms will be on eof the last to open and with heavily modified regimes, it will be totally different to how it was before, that said that's what supermarkets are supposed to be like but once inside its everyone to themselves and most people take no notice of social distancing. Fair to say if gyms open they might restrict numbers somehow and as the reasons for it being last due to the nature of the exercise and bodily fluids expelled it will be in the high risk catagory of activities. "
bodily fluids are we talking about gyms or some other kind of club lol xxxx

By *ittleREDridingWoman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I don’t know what to do about my gym membership now. We joined as a family, so the kids can use it and the crèche there too. I don’t want to continue with such an expensive membership if we can’t use all the facilities. Especially if the pool and the spa remain closed or likely with restricted access, cos I like that the most thinking I might have to join a local gym where I can still get my fix for a bit but not pay so much lol.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"How can they open pubs but not gyms?? Most people at gyms are concerned about there health. 5 pints at the dog and whistle and no one's gonna care about distancing.

Again this stupid incompetent government never think it through properly. Clowns. "

Think they said it’s because of the heavy breathing in a gym, don’t get why they won’t allow swimming pools if chlorine kills the virus, that’s more bonkers in my opinion.

liverpool

"

The Government . . .

Hopes to open gyms by mid-July

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden has said the government is hoping to reopen gyms and leisure facilities in mid-July.

Earlier today, the prime minister said outdoor gyms and playgrounds could open but indoor gyms, spas and swimming pools would remain closed.

"

Fingers crossed

"I don’t know what to do about my gym membership now. We joined as a family, so the kids can use it and the crèche there too. I don’t want to continue with such an expensive membership if we can’t use all the facilities. Especially if the pool and the spa remain closed or likely with restricted access, cos I like that the most thinking I might have to join a local gym where I can still get my fix for a bit but not pay so much lol. "

I use a local hardcore gym when I am at home but I use puregym when I am working away.

If I get refused once at a puregym that membership will be cancelled.

liverpool

"I don’t know what to do about my gym membership now. We joined as a family, so the kids can use it and the crèche there too. I don’t want to continue with such an expensive membership if we can’t use all the facilities. Especially if the pool and the spa remain closed or likely with restricted access, cos I like that the most thinking I might have to join a local gym where I can still get my fix for a bit but not pay so much lol. "

The pools and that will be open

Have to wait a few months for saunas etc.

liverpool

"I don’t know what to do about my gym membership now. We joined as a family, so the kids can use it and the crèche there too. I don’t want to continue with such an expensive membership if we can’t use all the facilities. Especially if the pool and the spa remain closed or likely with restricted access, cos I like that the most thinking I might have to join a local gym where I can still get my fix for a bit but not pay so much lol.

I use a local hardcore gym when I am at home but I use puregym when I am working away.

If I get refused once at a puregym that membership will be cancelled. "

They can't knock you back if you are a member

My guess if it's a busy gym there will be some sort of booking system

"I don’t know what to do about my gym membership now. We joined as a family, so the kids can use it and the crèche there too. I don’t want to continue with such an expensive membership if we can’t use all the facilities. Especially if the pool and the spa remain closed or likely with restricted access, cos I like that the most thinking I might have to join a local gym where I can still get my fix for a bit but not pay so much lol.

My guess if it's a busy gym there will be some sort of booking system"

If I go and say there is the allotted amount in already I wont get in

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai / Nottingham

So, it’s gonna be another 3 weeks from July 4 before it’s reviewed again. By then they’ll have been closed for 18 weeks!! "

If it wasn’t clear before 20th March, this statement should have made it very clear - he’s a populist, a racist and a libertarian

“I do accept that what we're doing is extraordinary: we're taking away the ancient, inalienable right of free-born people of the United Kingdom to go to the pub”

"Pure gym will be open soon , the system they had before lockdown was fine, restricted capacity using tech , cleaning , spacing , just common sense biros control."

It was. They were really on top of it. They could have just continued as they were. When they re-open I doubt it'll be much different from how it was before. Everything was spaced out, they'd taken machines out and there were cleaning stations everywhere.

You can Puff and Blow all over a bench press but you can't Puff and Blow over someone pressed to a bench . . . this covid just ain't swinger friendly!!!

"You can Puff and Blow all over a bench press but you can't Puff and Blow over someone pressed to a bench . . . this covid just ain't swinger friendly!!!

"

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

My guess if it's a busy gym there will be some sort of booking system"

Booking system or not I fear they will have a drop in membership, people won’t be happy if they are paying a monthly subscription to the amount they were paying before but can only use it half the time that they were.

liverpool

If I go and say there is the allotted amount in already I wont get in"

You will prob have to book in advance

liverpool

Booking system or not I fear they will have a drop in membership, people won’t be happy if they are paying a monthly subscription to the amount they were paying before but can only use it half the time that they were."

Depends how busy it is?

I reckon initially it will be Choca but it will tail off in a few months.

I cant fucking wait to get back.

walsall

It's simple pubs bring in more revenue

Gyms would of been easier to maintain and control social distancing but another government tax fiddle let's get the vat off pubs and beer then cause they open business tax will also be paid more pubs than gyms just greedy good for nothing government

"It's simple pubs bring in more revenue

Gyms would of been easier to maintain and control social distancing but another government tax fiddle let's get the vat off pubs and beer then cause they open business tax will also be paid more pubs than gyms just greedy good for nothing government"

I remember paying VAT on my Gym Membership and the fuel I use to get there and the drink from the vending machine and they pay corporation tax and leases and . . .

By *illowzWoman  over a year ago

Exeter

Outdoor gyms can open from the 4th July. I'm thinking I'll ask my trainer if we can train outside

You will prob have to book in advance"

Then that would be a problem as I only use it when I am away working and font know where I next from 1 week to the other.

Like someone mentioned before i wouldnt keep my membership to that gym if my usage is reduced by half.

liverpool

Then that would be a problem as I only use it when I am away working and font know where I next from 1 week to the other.

Like someone mentioned before i wouldnt keep my membership to that gym if my usage is reduced by half."

I'm guessing that's what they are gonna do?

Maybe just for the 1st few months are so.

They just need to get them open again.

Like someone mentioned before i wouldnt keep my membership to that gym if my usage is reduced by half.

I'm guessing that's what they are gonna do?

Maybe just for the 1st few months are so.

They just need to get them open again."

I fully agree they have to do what they have to do.

I just hope I work more local this year compared to the last few years

I desperately need to get back.

I’m in the whole keep eating and ignore I’ve gone up two dress sizes phase....

I’ve tried going for a run or working out in garden...

But I find every lame excuse under sun...

Come on gyms...

We need you

walsall

"It's simple pubs bring in more revenue

Gyms would of been easier to maintain and control social distancing but another government tax fiddle let's get the vat off pubs and beer then cause they open business tax will also be paid more pubs than gyms just greedy good for nothing government

I remember paying VAT on my Gym Membership and the fuel I use to get there and the drink from the vending machine and they pay corporation tax and leases and . . . "

Still nowhere near the tax you pay on spirits and beer and that's on top of your taxi fare or hotel

And gyms don't pay nearly the ammount a pub landlord does in rates tax n vat

It does take the piss really, keeping fit and healthy should be given higher priority.

As a result of the lock down I'm no longer a member at 2 local gyms asive put one in my garage, needs must.

I already know 4 gym owners within 30 miles who have had to sell up to pay the bills

walsall

All about the money

Wouldn't be surprised if airport's for domestic flights open before gyms

"

Still nowhere near the tax you pay on spirits and beer and that's on top of your taxi fare or hotel

"

It's so short sighted really, gyms must greatly benefit the country a huge amount given all the health benefits from exercise keeping people healthy and sane.

liverpool

"

It's so short sighted really, gyms must greatly benefit the country a huge amount given all the health benefits from exercise keeping people healthy and sane. "

I really thought they would have opened in the next 2 weeks

"

It's so short sighted really, gyms must greatly benefit the country a huge amount given all the health benefits from exercise keeping people healthy and sane. "

I think the uptake in cycling and running will see fewer returning to gyms. Been speaking to the owner of my local bike and he has seen sales increase 200% over the last 3 months; there’s now a waiting list for bikes. My local running/Tri shop has also had an increase in sales and online consultations (with more through the door the last 2 weeks) since gyms shut

10 million have a gym membership. That’s huge.

"

It's so short sighted really, gyms must greatly benefit the country a huge amount given all the health benefits from exercise keeping people healthy and sane.

I think the uptake in cycling and running will see fewer returning to gyms. Been speaking to the owner of my local bike and he has seen sales increase 200% over the last 3 months; there’s now a waiting list for bikes. My local running/Tri shop has also had an increase in sales and online consultations (with more through the door the last 2 weeks) since gyms shut "

Cycling and running is not why I gym.

Resistance training is why I gym.

"

I think the uptake in cycling and running will see fewer returning to gyms. Been speaking to the owner of my local bike and he has seen sales increase 200% over the last 3 months; there’s now a waiting list for bikes. My local running/Tri shop has also had an increase in sales and online consultations (with more through the door the last 2 weeks) since gyms shut

Resistance training is why I gym."

Can see lots of people cancelling gym memberships afrer seeing they can do majority of work from there own home. I wont be continuing thats for sure.

Manchester (she/her)

I resistance train and love it. I'll be going back, but probably not immediately. I'm relaxing my self imposed lockdown slower than the government one.

By *ne Speak and SpellMan  over a year ago

Greenwich

I just saw a story on sky news with the business secretary stating that it may be mid July for gym openings.

One of the big gym owners invited an MP from each of the areas where he has a centre to view the "safe" facilities. Only one replied...says it all really!

"

Resistance training is why I gym."

But all those who go to the gym for spin classes and to bash the miles on treadmills have now hit the roads and found out it’s more enjoyable

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

"I just saw a story on sky news with the business secretary stating that it may be mid July for gym openings. "

I’ve been told mid July. Not sure what the rules are though.

"

But all those who go to the gym for spin classes and to bash the miles on treadmills have now hit the roads and found out it’s more enjoyable "

Yes I can well imagine they do

But they will rejoin a gym come winter.

"

But all those who go to the gym for spin classes and to bash the miles on treadmills have now hit the roads and found out it’s more enjoyable

But they will rejoin a gym come winter."

They may, the may also learn that you don’t melt or freeze up in the cold and wet and outdoor aerobic exercise is better outdoors (and quicker) I started a running and cycling group with a bunch of local triathletes to help people get out and develop; we run twice a week And ride out aimed for all levels

"

But they will rejoin a gym come winter.

They may, the may also learn that you don’t melt or freeze up in the cold and wet and outdoor aerobic exercise is better outdoors (and quicker) I started a running and cycling group with a bunch of local triathletes to help people get out and develop; we run twice a week And ride out aimed for all levels "

That's good that you have set that up.

But like I said earlier cycling and running is not shat I gym for.

If i wanted to run or cycle i would do it outdoors like yourself.

Can't wait for my gym to reopen. It's been way too long.

Port Talbot

My gym never shut and NEVER will

Also I'm still training client's.

So anyone desperate to train is welcome to train at mine, I UNDERSTAND how horrible it is to to take a day off let alone the time many haven't HAD to take off during this lockdown

Central

Reopening gyms, pools etc is vital now. Council facilities will be draining more public money by the minute and serve those greatest in need for more exercise. The industry employs thousands in the UK and is a major element of many people's health and wellbeing. There's not a better time for these to be allowed to serve the public health's good

Port Talbot

"Reopening gyms, pools etc is vital now. Council facilities will be draining more public money by the minute and serve those greatest in need for more exercise. The industry employs thousands in the UK and is a major element of many people's health and wellbeing. There's not a better time for these to be allowed to serve the public health's good"

Totally agree with you.

the wetlands

July in Northern Ireland

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

Or decrease your profit takings.

Gyms aren't essential & you can do all of it either outside or at home.

Gyms aren't essential & you can do all of it either outside or at home. "

I can do heavy weights at home I would have no floors left

Gyms aren't essential & you can do all of it either outside or at home. "

You really can't

Gyms aren't essential & you can do all of it either outside or at home.

I can do heavy weights at home I would have no floors left "

Can't even

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

Sit ups, push ups, pull ups, triceps dips, planks, put stuff in shopping bags/rucksack & lift like weights, fill a suitcase & drag it, lift/flip tyres. It has been scientifically proven that a heavy weight might get you there sooner but a lighter one will do the same, just takes longer to achieve.

So many ways to build muscle mass without using huge weights in a gym and BTW all those protein shakes/bars and energy drink etc are useless wastes of money unless your an actual athlete for a living, they just become very expensive pees. A healthy diet of all food groups in moderation is best and water.

Sit ups, push ups, pull ups, triceps dips, planks, put stuff in shopping bags/rucksack & lift like weights, fill a suitcase & drag it, lift/flip tyres. It has been scientifically proven that a heavy weight might get you there sooner but a lighter one will do the same, just takes longer to achieve.

So many ways to build muscle mass without using huge weights in a gym and BTW all those protein shakes/bars and energy drink etc are useless wastes of money unless your an actual athlete for a living, they just become very expensive pees. A healthy diet of all food groups in moderation is best and water. "

I know all that.

But the gym is my anti depressant.

Lifting leight weights does nothing for my mental health.

Do heavy weights is the way I take my aggression out for the day.

If you dont do resistance training.

You just dont understand how important it is to me.

I have a home gym but there are to many distractions and lack of motivation at home.

I couldn't tell you the amount of times I have felt like not going to the gym .

But when I get in it's a different world a different mindset.

So for me a gym is essential for my healthy way of living.

Port Talbot

So many ways to build muscle mass without using huge weights in a gym and BTW all those protein shakes/bars and energy drink etc are useless wastes of money unless your an actual athlete for a living, they just become very expensive pees. A healthy diet of all food groups in moderation is best and water. "

Your inaccurate in SO many ways there

Port Talbot

ANYONE that thinks that you can match someone in size,symmetry and strength doing anything other than weights is delusional lol.

Just to add not ALL protein bars are crap

When you REALLY study you may well shock yourselves at what you are being told is healthy really is BS and learn the real facts.

Start with Milk

Then the 5 fruit and veg BS

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I have been told that things will be very different.

No showers, no heavy weights, no teams when lifting, exercise classes will be smaller, ti.e limits will be put in place and possibly booking a time slot.

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

The daughter made a valid point. Pubs can open but community centres cannot

Where will Alcoholics Anonymous hold their meetings?

Apparently Gym Box plan to go ahead and open along with other business les on 4th as the government couldn't give them a reason why they couldn't after they did their own investigations into how they could safeguard their customers and what changes needed to be made.