FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > School

School

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My sons been told he’s going back a week on Monday. I am welcoming this. He’s in year 10, he’s very clever and I’ve no issue about his GCSEs but there are other children who aren’t and I wander if they will be classed as “ the covid kids” as such.

I have said to the head that it’s absolutely disgusting if they are expecting them to perform their GCSEs as normal, as they’ve missed so much learning in year 10.

Views anyone?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"My sons been told he’s going back a week on Monday. I am welcoming this. He’s in year 10, he’s very clever and I’ve no issue about his GCSEs but there are other children who aren’t and I wander if they will be classed as “ the covid kids” as such.

I have said to the head that it’s absolutely disgusting if they are expecting them to perform their GCSEs as normal, as they’ve missed so much learning in year 10.

Views anyone?"

Some of those 'covid' kids are vulnerable with underlying conditions so a bit harsh to single them out.

I mean there is 1 year until GCSEs. Surely kids have plenty of time to catch up. A bit of hard work surely to be expected and proactively. Can't just be handed it on a plate. What you propose hold them back at school 1 year to catch up or make the tests easier than any other year? Thus making their qualifications meaningless.

"My sons been told he’s going back a week on Monday. I am welcoming this. He’s in year 10, he’s very clever and I’ve no issue about his GCSEs but there are other children who aren’t and I wander if they will be classed as “ the covid kids” as such.

Views anyone?

Some of those 'covid' kids are vulnerable with underlying conditions so a bit harsh to single them out.

I mean there is 1 year until GCSEs. Surely kids have plenty of time to catch up. A bit of hard work surely to be expected and proactively. Can't just be handed it on a plate. What you propose hold them back at school 1 year to catch up or make the tests easier than any other year? Thus making their qualifications meaningless. "

I was being tongue in cheek. My son is very clever and fortunately won’t struggle. However their are many kids who will. And yes they should lower the grade for next year GCSEs as year 10 have missed so much learning

Views anyone?

I mean there is 1 year until GCSEs. Surely kids have plenty of time to catch up. A bit of hard work surely to be expected and proactively. Can't just be handed it on a plate. What you propose hold them back at school 1 year to catch up or make the tests easier than any other year? Thus making their qualifications meaningless.

I was being tongue in cheek. My son is very clever and fortunately won’t struggle. However their are many kids who will. And yes they should lower the grade for next year GCSEs as year 10 have missed so much learning "

I disagree with that. Firstly people can read books or research online. So they should be proactive. Secondly, GCSE at a lower level will be meaningless and undermine the value of having a GCSE. People just need to stop thinking everything will be spoon fed to them in a lesson. About time people lean how to do things for themselves with a bit of guidance in the right direction.

Views anyone?

I was being tongue in cheek. My son is very clever and fortunately won’t struggle. However their are many kids who will. And yes they should lower the grade for next year GCSEs as year 10 have missed so much learning

I disagree with that. Firstly people can read books or research online. So they should be proactive. Secondly, GCSE at a lower level will be meaningless and undermine the value of having a GCSE. People just need to stop thinking everything will be spoon fed to them in a lesson. About time people lean how to do things for themselves with a bit of guidance in the right direction."

My son is quite capable of reading and writing. Unfortunately what your saying doesn’t fit all. My son is in the top 2% off talented kids for maths. He finds the work he’s been given boring. Unchallenging, and monotonous, I’ve challenged his school, but they can’t do anything.

My sons lucky he’s clever and will do very well. But as I said unfortunately their are many kids which are and will feel the miss and lack of education, you might not agree but it’s a FACT

Views anyone?

I disagree with that. Firstly people can read books or research online. So they should be proactive. Secondly, GCSE at a lower level will be meaningless and undermine the value of having a GCSE. People just need to stop thinking everything will be spoon fed to them in a lesson. About time people lean how to do things for themselves with a bit of guidance in the right direction.

My son is quite capable of reading and writing. Unfortunately what your saying doesn’t fit all. My son is in the top 2% off talented kids for maths. He finds the work he’s been given boring. Unchallenging, and monotonous, I’ve challenged his school, but they can’t do anything.

My sons lucky he’s clever and will do very well. But as I said unfortunately their are many kids which are and will feel the miss and lack of education, you might not agree but it’s a FACT "

I'd say take a bit of pressure amd expectation off your son

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to exams

Views anyone?

My sons lucky he’s clever and will do very well. But as I said unfortunately their are many kids which are and will feel the miss and lack of education, you might not agree but it’s a FACT

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to exams"

Read back. No pressure whatsoever on my son.

By *az080378Woman  over a year ago

Cromer

Views anyone?

My sons lucky he’s clever and will do very well. But as I said unfortunately their are many kids which are and will feel the miss and lack of education, you might not agree but it’s a FACT "

I'm assuming if they have been given work to do then maybe other kids won't find it as boring, unchallenging or monotonous.....

I'm sure the teachers will an amazing job with helping those who struggle

Views anyone?

Read back. No pressure whatsoever on my son. "

I have

You come across differently to how you think you do

All the best to your son with his return to school and his exams

Views anyone?

Might be an idea to contact Ofsted if you get no joy from the school.

Schools are duty bound to make provision for bright kids. Just as they are for other children with 'additional needs'

Views anyone?

I'm assuming if they have been given work to do then maybe other kids won't find it as boring, unchallenging or monotonous.....

I'm sure the teachers will an amazing job with helping those who struggle"

Maybe they won’t as I said , it’s a hard situation. But I’m just highlighting the fact that year 10 children will be mostly effected, regardless of e-learning.

Views anyone?

Schools are duty bound to make provision for bright kids. Just as they are for other children with 'additional needs'

"

I have. They are working with me and hopefully keeping me updated.

Views anyone?

Read back. No pressure whatsoever on my son.

I have

You come across differently to how you think you do

All the best to your son with his return to school and his exams "

I’m sorry you think that. But thank you

Views anyone?

I have. They are working with me and hopefully keeping me updated. "

Thats good. Hope they sort it for you

Been there, done that!

Although I can’t answer your concern whether this year will impact on the children in year 10 and their results- I do have something that may upturn the whole debate..

Personally, I am hoping those that can; rethink and reboot the whole education system.

Are exams at this age and certainly younger any good? What is their true purpose?

Should we be encouraging children to learn in a different way? Should we be encouraging them to prove they have built skills that are both practical and theoretical through projects and leave the teachers to do their job to assess them?

When in real life do we as adults have to go into a timed situation to prove we know something? Even universities are removing exams now and basing assessments on projects, assignments and practical work.

In our jobs, If we have a task to be done- we get a deadline- and we are able to research, change and edit our work as we develop our findings (through the use of peer interaction/ books and the internet).

Sitting at a desk and mainly churning out short term facts and figures, attempting to cram years and years of work into a twenty minute question is stressful and counter productive.

Don’t get me started on the fact that they just test literacy and maths In the younger years and for those who don’t ‘pass’ (what is deemed a set level rather than individual progress made), are deemed thick and stupid!

It’s incredulous! What about the child who is dyslexic and can’t read the literacy or maths paper yet can argue a massive debate in history or can draw, design and build something magical with wood? What about the child who can stand in front of a whole 300+ school and dance or sing loud and proud? What about the child who can throw a tennis ball the length of a sports field or can serve ace after ace in tennis? Are they really failures?

The system makes them think they are and that their passions and natural skills are valueless. It’s appalling! From those stupid tests (as young as four), they are then setted and pupils then make judgements on each other and themselves from that point forward.

It’s time the education system changed. Give children a choice of where they would like to take their passions from a young age. And remove the testing at the end! Monitor teacher assessment instead.

This is a massive opportunity for us all to welcome this.

By *penfire2000Couple  over a year ago

hampshire

"Although I can’t answer your concern whether this year will impact on the children in year 10 and their results- I do have something that may upturn the whole debate..

Personally, I am hoping those that can; rethink and reboot the whole education system.

Are exams at this age and certainly younger any good? What is their true purpose?

Should we be encouraging children to learn in a different way? Should we be encouraging them to prove they have built skills that are both practical and theoretical through projects and leave the teachers to do their job to assess them?

When in real life do we as adults have to go into a timed situation to prove we know something? Even universities are removing exams now and basing assessments on projects, assignments and practical work.

In our jobs, If we have a task to be done- we get a deadline- and we are able to research, change and edit our work as we develop our findings (through the use of peer interaction/ books and the internet).

Sitting at a desk and mainly churning out short term facts and figures, attempting to cram years and years of work into a twenty minute question is stressful and counter productive.

Don’t get me started on the fact that they just test literacy and maths In the younger years and for those who don’t ‘pass’ (what is deemed a set level rather than individual progress made), are deemed thick and stupid!

It’s incredulous! What about the child who is dyslexic and can’t read the literacy or maths paper yet can argue a massive debate in history or can draw, design and build something magical with wood? What about the child who can stand in front of a whole 300+ school and dance or sing loud and proud? What about the child who can throw a tennis ball the length of a sports field or can serve ace after ace in tennis? Are they really failures?

The system makes them think they are and that their passions and natural skills are valueless. It’s appalling! From those stupid tests (as young as four), they are then setted and pupils then make judgements on each other and themselves from that point forward.

It’s time the education system changed. Give children a choice of where they would like to take their passions from a young age. And remove the testing at the end! Monitor teacher assessment instead.

This is a massive opportunity for us all to welcome this. "

You can thank Michael Gove for the current curriculum and his so called 'gold standards' completely focused upon memory retention.

As for year 10, all results are based on a 'Bell curve' so the boundaries are different each year. This means that your child would be a grade 9 if in the top 3%. I have no concerns about them being behind...we will get them there!

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Exams !!! Just proof you can regurgitate learnt facts !!! Proved nothing

I would hope that longer term... employer's would be well aware of those children that are being affected by this..and look at their grades differently..

None of us know how long this is going on for and the longer term impacts on mental health of this generation of young minds...

Are you sure the school is ready to accept them safely? The government have not been very helpful in there support for the heads.

Don't forget that there is no treatment for the virus at the moment,Is your son clever enough to social distance?

I've worked through out the lockdown and I have to tell people probably 5 times a day to stay back.

By *aulaxd500TV/TS  over a year ago

Wigan

The grade boundaries change each year, dependent on the performance of the cohort. So year 10 when they sit next year's exam will be judged against their peers, who have all had the same experience.

Views anyone?

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to exams"

I don't think there will be much of a learning gap, the kids that want to learn will and those who don't, wont. It's no difference to being in school.

Its a fantastic opportunity for those kids that get distracted by others to learn and self motivate.

My children aren't in high school yet, but both perfectly capable of self learning with all the resources online.

I think it's just another excuse.

By *ittleMissSexy2017Couple  over a year ago

Kent

If parents made sure there kids did the work they were sent and as long as they work extra over the summer and actually start revising when they are told they should be fine.

The emphasis should be on the kids and the parents to put the work in too not just the teachers

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Exams !!! Just proof you can regurgitate learnt facts !!! Proved nothing "

A lot of exams these days are far from just regurgitating facts. There is a lot of analysis and explanation, the intention is to demonstrate understanding rather than knowledge.

In response to the original post though, the year 10 kids exam results will not be unduly hindered by the current situation. The grade boundaries are set to provide a defined percentage of students receiving each grade, rather than a "first past the post" type system. So the top 1% will get 9s the next 5% will get 8s etc... this is done to mitigate any particular years exams being harder or easier than others.

Cal

"If parents made sure there kids did the work they were sent and as long as they work extra over the summer and actually start revising when they are told they should be fine.

The emphasis should be on the kids and the parents to put the work in too not just the teachers "

Some parents are so doped up and pissed they don't know they even have kids.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's much more difficult for some children. Technology isn't available equally, libraries out of access and many need guidance that's not in the form of online tools. I don't know the solution. Perhaps some fixed parts of the curriculum could be excluded from exams.

"The grade boundaries change each year, dependent on the performance of the cohort. So year 10 when they sit next year's exam will be judged against their peers, who have all had the same experience. "

But they haven't all had the same experience. At least at school (if they go) it's more level. At home some will be doing work sent from school, some will be learning online, some will be hiding from an abusive parent.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Views anyone?

Unfortunately, the fact is some children could have one to one support from a Rhodes scholar and STILL not make the grades.

Children will just have to forego some of their Grand Theft Auto computer time and brush up on Pythagoras' theorem etc to catch up. Smart parents will encourage and support and point out to their kids in life you have to work for what you want and make sacrifices. The not so smart will blame the world, howl at the moon for life being unfair and do nothing.

Decisions, decisions.

London

"I don't think there will be much of a learning gap, the kids that want to learn will and those who don't, wont. It's no difference to being in school.

Its a fantastic opportunity for those kids that get distracted by others to learn and self motivate.

My children aren't in high school yet, but both perfectly capable of self learning with all the resources online.

I think it's just another excuse.

"

London

"If parents made sure there kids did the work they were sent and as long as they work extra over the summer and actually start revising when they are told they should be fine.

The emphasis should be on the kids and the parents to put the work in too not just the teachers "

Therein lies the rub: some children, with full support from their parents DON'T want to put the extra work in. Parents have taken to the streets when head teachers have introduced homework. Citing it cuts into their children's social time. Can you envisage that type of parent encouraging and supporting their little cherub to work smarter and harder?!!

Yeah...right!

Views anyone?"

I agree with you. Its totally unfair to expect kids that have now missed months of school to just be able to go back as normal without some catch up time.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

Two of our grandchildren were due to do their gcse's this year.I'm not sure if they will go on their mock results or predicted grades.

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

"Although I can’t answer your concern whether this year will impact on the children in year 10 and their results- I do have something that may upturn the whole debate..

This is a massive opportunity for us all to welcome this. "

Exams count for just a percentage of grades on different subjects, course work, practical tests make up for the majority of grades and have been for years.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

You're wrong about one thing. It's not yr 10 who are worst affected it's yr 11, the ones that were supposed to sit the exams this year! At least yr 10 have the chance to bridge any gaps and sit the exams and with the lower grade boundaries which will be introduced most will do ok.

Northampton Somewhere

"Two of our grandchildren were due to do their gcse's this year.I'm not sure if they will go on their mock results or predicted grades."

Mock results and teacher assessments will be taken into consideration, at our school anyway.

chelmsford

"You're wrong about one thing. It's not yr 10 who are worst affected it's yr 11, the ones that were supposed to sit the exams this year! At least yr 10 have the chance to bridge any gaps and sit the exams and with the lower grade boundaries which will be introduced most will do ok."

I have to agree, our two are gutted.

chelmsford

"Two of our grandchildren were due to do their gcse's this year.I'm not sure if they will go on their mock results or predicted grades.

Mock results and teacher assessments will be taken into consideration, at our school anyway."

That makes a lot of sense

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Views anyone?

I was being tongue in cheek. My son is very clever and fortunately won’t struggle. However their are many kids who will. And yes they should lower the grade for next year GCSEs as year 10 have missed so much learning "

how have they missed so much work. They have still been getting work..

And there is the summer time too. I'm sure catching up shouldnt be an issue.

My daughter was about to sit her gcses but will have to wait now. She was home schooled anyway before all this. But her college placement should have been starting this Sept with her turning 14..and as yet we dont know what's happening.

I dont think they should lower the grades.

Northampton Somewhere

"Two of our grandchildren were due to do their gcse's this year.I'm not sure if they will go on their mock results or predicted grades.

Mock results and teacher assessments will be taken into consideration, at our school anyway.

That makes a lot of sense "

Just hope they are fair. I'm a bit annoyed they still have to wait until 21st August to find out what grades they've got. I can see my son getting more anxious as the days go on. He can do absolutely nothing about it either, unlike the year 10's who can still achieve the grades they are predicted.

chelmsford

Just hope they are fair. I'm a bit annoyed they still have to wait until 21st August to find out what grades they've got. I can see my son getting more anxious as the days go on. He can do absolutely nothing about it either, unlike the year 10's who can still achieve the grades they are predicted. "

Haven't spoken much to the grandchildren, during this time, but I know they are worried about it all.

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

My youngest daughter is in year 10. Year 11 from September.

She's continued her lessons week days, term time, via Microsoft and the head of 14-16 years told me that a planned phased return to face to face learning will begin from 15th June. (Assuming the gov guidance doesn't change again)

She can expect 2 mornings (2 hours a day) each week from mid June

We also discussed the missed work placements and potential changes to the academic year and he confirmed there are no plans to cancel the summer holidays/offer teaching during that period/have the collage open.

Our primary schools don't open for the additional pupils tomorrow either. Again 15th june for pupils in ks1 + year 6, but it's optional not compulsory.

Exams count for just a percentage of grades on different subjects, course work, practical tests make up for the majority of grades and have been for years."

GCSE s and A Levels perhaps but not exams further down

Northampton Somewhere

Just hope they are fair. I'm a bit annoyed they still have to wait until 21st August to find out what grades they've got. I can see my son getting more anxious as the days go on. He can do absolutely nothing about it either, unlike the year 10's who can still achieve the grades they are predicted.

Haven't spoken much to the grandchildren, during this time, but I know they are worried about it all."

It's just such a shame. Most of my friends with yr 13's going to uni were offered unconditional places so they're ok.

chelmsford

Haven't spoken much to the grandchildren, during this time, but I know they are worried about it all.

It's just such a shame. Most of my friends with yr 13's going to uni were offered unconditional places so they're ok."

That is good

Another grandson had just started Uni.he's now working at a vegetable farm!

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

I think they should add an extra year onto their schooling, do the gcse's a year later with the current year 9 kids, it won't affect any other years and it would give our kids the same opportunities as other children.

Dudley

Sorry but no, some children don't work well independently, some children don't work well outside of a classroom, some kids just struggle in general, my daughter struggles, she's found this lockdown VERY difficult and hasn't been able to complete all the work set. That's not my fault or hers and she deserves the same opportunities as the other children have had, full school support.

By *hatawasteMan  over a year ago

stafford

That reply seemed a bit strange to me? on the one hand, you say you have a clever son who is bored, unchallenged etc and on the other, you suggest he has nothing to do? presumably, to challenge himself with the greatest of respect, he can't be that clever then ! I was a bit like that in school even before computers .. I challenged myself all the time have you not encouraged your son to start learning stuff above his school year ? online, books, youtube.. etc .. there is a wealth of stuff out there .. arguably teachers in the traditional sense not needed for him . In my case I got ordinary work out of the way I started learning what the years older than me were doing .I read books ..lot of books .. did tests and practice exams that stretched me. I have mild dyslexia and spatial awareness issues but just cracked on .. Teachers were too busy to do much to help me as they are now ( this is where parents can be very handy btw .. supporting etc ) Mine tried but struggled and were not academic so I kind of taught myself .. result was I was pretty much gifted most of my education till about the final year at uni .. bottom line .. after COVID everyone is going to have to change and learning is going to be a really big thing that is impacted .. online is already being talked about for universities next year with no lectures etc Cimputers will be used much more and independent study will be encouraged at all levels of learning .. especially after the basics have been picked up in literacy and numeracy . I would suggest if the boy is bored he should be doing what he can for himself whilst he has the time to do it without anything holding him back?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Given that they probably did a bit of work at home, and there were holidays at Easter and a few bank holidays and they probably do bugger all in June how much have kids actually missed ?

Let em at it, they'll catch up and if they don't another year won't help

Ok here's a possible solution.

Thes schools open in June and stay open till September when exams are taken, effectively making the covid shutdown the summer break. then.

Immediately afterwards, then the lower years start their term straight away.

'easy peasy, lemon squeezy'

Teachers may be pissed off with it

the wetlands

"Ok here's a possible solution.

Thes schools open in June and stay open till September when exams are taken, effectively making the covid shutdown the summer break. then.

Teachers may be pissed off with it "

Perfect, job done

Teachers will tell you they actually work over the summer holidays anyway

By *oncupiscence73Woman  over a year ago

South

Teachers don’t get paid for the summer it would mean paying all teachers an extra 1.5 months as teachers have been working the whole way through.

Kids have missed 13 weeks ... the last four are never ever new learning.

What we really need to think about is September this won’t go away school won’t be full time due to reduced class size so I predict a one week on one week off Rota for all schools. Home learning and school blend. Also many many teachers have resigned this week due to the 1st June return so unlikely to have anywhere near full staff in September anyway let alone the more that will actually be needed.

Perfect, job done

Teachers will tell you they actually work over the summer holidays anyway "

Well i did use the word "possible"

South

Perfect, job done

Teachers will tell you they actually work over the summer holidays anyway "

I’m sure many teachers will do it if you pay them - but atm teachers aren’t paid for summer holidays so why on earth would they work it!? Do you work for free?

Perfect, job done

I’m sure many teachers will do it if you pay them - but atm teachers aren’t paid for summer holidays so why on earth would they work it!? Do you work for free?"

Well it was just a theoretical solution of mine, im sure the gov will sort it out

South

Perfect, job done

I’m sure many teachers will do it if you pay them - but atm teachers aren’t paid for summer holidays so why on earth would they work it!? Do you work for free?

Well it was just a theoretical solution of mine, im sure the gov will sort it out "

Ha you have confidence in this government? I don’t think they could sort their way out of the number 10 rose garden

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

Exams count for just a percentage of grades on different subjects, course work, practical tests make up for the majority of grades and have been for years.

GCSE s and A Levels perhaps but not exams further down"

The post was about year 10/11 GCSE'S

I'm sure years further down will have time to catch up. My daughter is year 10 and gets work every day as do every year my niece had a 4 yr old that was supposed to start school after Easter even gets work so teachers are still work and have the extra job of predicted grades, in sure everything will change but that's how it is.

Perfect, job done

Well it was just a theoretical solution of mine, im sure the gov will sort it out

Ha you have confidence in this government? I don’t think they could sort their way out of the number 10 rose garden "

Lol, no i was being sarcastic. the government’s handling of every issue has been a fucking disaster, worthy of a Mel Brooks farce!

Why should it fall solely on the teachers to alter work? I have a child who has dyspraxia and dyslexia. His language work isn’t that of his peers so I’ve altered or done different work so that it’s meaningful to him. I’ve researched and bought resources all through his time at school to support him.

Teachers have up to 30 kids in a class, you’ve a unique opportunity to extend his learning by sourcing your own resources.

If he’s as bright as you say he is this time should have very little impact on learning.

South

Perfect, job done

Ha you have confidence in this government? I don’t think they could sort their way out of the number 10 rose garden

Lol, no i was being sarcastic. the government’s handling of every issue has been a fucking disaster, worthy of a Mel Brooks farce!

"

Good but I do hope that teachers aren’t vilified in any of this ... seriously a profession on its knees being sent into work tomorrow with no social distancing and no PPE. No other industry is being asked to do this .. none.

Perfect, job done

Good but I do hope that teachers aren’t vilified in any of this ... seriously a profession on its knees being sent into work tomorrow with no social distancing and no PPE. No other industry is being asked to do this .. none. "

No they shouldn't. They are just as entitled to being kept safe from harm like anyone else. Children and their families and relations too.

"Why should it fall solely on the teachers to alter work? I have a child who has dyspraxia and dyslexia. His language work isn’t that of his peers so I’ve altered or done different work so that it’s meaningful to him. I’ve researched and bought resources all through his time at school to support him.

Teachers have up to 30 kids in a class, you’ve a unique opportunity to extend his learning by sourcing your own resources.

"

Well done for altering work to suit your child, it's nice to see parents not leaving it solely to teachers.

My eldest was JUST hitting average and it can be very hard for kids to learn with 30 other children in a class, who are distracted easily.

He is now achieving greater depth in Maths and English.

I helped him at weekends and he flourished with just a few hours work each weekend, one to one.

Its amazing what parents can do with a little time.

"Why should it fall solely on the teachers to alter work? I have a child who has dyspraxia and dyslexia. His language work isn’t that of his peers so I’ve altered or done different work so that it’s meaningful to him. I’ve researched and bought resources all through his time at school to support him.

Well done for altering work to suit your child, it's nice to see parents not leaving it solely to teachers.

My eldest was JUST hitting average and it can be very hard for kids to learn with 30 other children in a class, who are distracted easily.

He is now achieving greater depth in Maths and English.

I helped him at weekends and he flourished with just a few hours work each weekend, one to one.

Its amazing what parents can do with a little time.

"

He teaches me maths! Before this it was altering homework or scribing/typing his spoken word.

We have to have realistic expectations as to what a school can provide, if your kid was in top 3% of footballers you send them to a football club to develop that, not expect a school to turn every PE lesson into football. Core subjects are no different.

Dudley

Except the covid shutdown hasn't been a break, they've had stress, been unable to see family and friends, still getting set 5 hours of work a day, how do you think this has been a break for them?

They need to give the year 10's an extra year at school.

"I think they should add an extra year onto their schooling, do the gcse's a year later with the current year 9 kids, it won't affect any other years and it would give our kids the same opportunities as other children. "

they will already struggle for class space / teacher capacity next year as it is, how can they accomodate a whole extra year group being held back

Dudley

"I think they should add an extra year onto their schooling, do the gcse's a year later with the current year 9 kids, it won't affect any other years and it would give our kids the same opportunities as other children.

they will already struggle for class space / teacher capacity next year as it is, how can they accomodate a whole extra year group being held back "

Not held back, they all just carry on going up in years but the year 10's do an extra year at the end of school.

the wetlands

Perfect, job done

Good but I do hope that teachers aren’t vilified in any of this ... seriously a profession on its knees being sent into work tomorrow with no social distancing and no PPE. No other industry is being asked to do this .. none. "

Time for a new career then

South

Perfect, job done

Good but I do hope that teachers aren’t vilified in any of this ... seriously a profession on its knees being sent into work tomorrow with no social distancing and no PPE. No other industry is being asked to do this .. none.

Time for a new career then"

And if all the teachers walk? Who will you blame then?

By *rumpet and ScouseCouple  over a year ago

Chorley

My son was due to sit his A levels this year at GCSE he was again one of the brightest in the school he thrives on exams but not class work so looks like he is going to struggle getting the grades he needs for uni.

My youngest is going into year 9 in September and wishes that school would do teams lessons rather than just set it on a monday and leave them to work through it themselves.

Both of mine have had no teacher contact since before lockdown as they were sent home as my youngest had a cough that was not related to covid 19.

I don't see why teachers can't have half the class at home and the other half working from home.

South

"My son was due to sit his A levels this year at GCSE he was again one of the brightest in the school he thrives on exams but not class work so looks like he is going to struggle getting the grades he needs for uni.

My youngest is going into year 9 in September and wishes that school would do teams lessons rather than just set it on a monday and leave them to work through it themselves.

Both of mine have had no teacher contact since before lockdown as they were sent home as my youngest had a cough that was not related to covid 19.

I don't see why teachers can't have half the class at home and the other half working from home."

I think the half Half split will happen in September ... won’t get teacher support at home thought as that’s two jobs. Lots and lots of safeguarding issues re delivering online live lessons as another adult has to be there too. So again it’s a staffing issue which boils down to a budget issue. Needs a massive injection of funding before September that’s for sure

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"My son was due to sit his A levels this year at GCSE he was again one of the brightest in the school he thrives on exams but not class work so looks like he is going to struggle getting the grades he needs for uni.

I don't see why teachers can't have half the class at home and the other half working from home."

This will require a “can do” attitude.

Sadly all I see from some sections of the teaching profession is a “won’t do” attitude.

Sadly there will be a percentage of young people who will be forgotten.

Very sad.

I work in a college and we are simply continuing to teach online and 1-2-1 any students that need extra support.

My students have been covering all research areas for the course whilst we where in lock down have are up to date.

South

I don't see why teachers can't have half the class at home and the other half working from home.

Sadly all I see from some sections of the teaching profession is a “won’t do” attitude.

Very sad."

What’s sad is people think in they have a clue about what they’re talking about criticising a profession of people from behind an anonymous keyboard... they’re looking for volunteers why don’t you do it?

"I think they should add an extra year onto their schooling, do the gcse's a year later with the current year 9 kids, it won't affect any other years and it would give our kids the same opportunities as other children.

they will already struggle for class space / teacher capacity next year as it is, how can they accomodate a whole extra year group being held back

Not held back, they all just carry on going up in years but the year 10's do an extra year at the end of school. "

held back or do an extra year, whatever you want to call it, its doubling up a year group that the school doesn’t have staff or capacity for

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Very sad.

What’s sad is people think in they have a clue about what they’re talking about criticising a profession of people from behind an anonymous keyboard... they’re looking for volunteers why don’t you do it? "

What I know is, the fantastic teachers that I know are the ones with the attitude of “how do we make this work”. The people who I know, who are “teachers”, but in fact should not be within 6ft of a classroom, are the ones saying “I’m not doing this”.

I already contribute, voluntarily, and have done for some time, long before all of this.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"Exams !!! Just proof you can regurgitate learnt facts !!! Proved nothing "

Not quite, there are some knowledge questions on an exam paper, but there are also questions where they have to apply that knowledge and explain their reasoning.

By *aidForSharingWoman  over a year ago

Lancs

Kids don't need to go to school. My son had such appalling teachers that he taught himself his GCSEs and A levels through YouTube and online past papers. He's now at a Russell grouo uni reading economics.

In a class of 30 no one can be properly taught; classroom behaviour remains an issue and progress is very slow due to the varying levels of pupils. School is an antiquated system, where bullying is still rife for chldren and teachers.

Dudley

Not held back, they all just carry on going up in years but the year 10's do an extra year at the end of school.

held back or do an extra year, whatever you want to call it, its doubling up a year group that the school doesn’t have staff or capacity for"

No it isn't, all years just carry on going up, no doubling up at all. Most schools have 6th form years so instead of having 6th form students they would be doing their gcse's. There would likely need to be some restructuring but how else will the year 10's be able to take a gcse that they haven't had the full course work for?

By *edheadjMan  over a year ago

High Wycombe

"

No it isn't, all years just carry on going up, no doubling up at all. Most schools have 6th form years so instead of having 6th form students they would be doing their gcse's. There would likely need to be some restructuring but how else will the year 10's be able to take a gcse that they haven't had the full course work for? "

However you word it, it's still a whole extra year that you'd have to cater for somehow.

The year 10s will have to have their coursework restructured so that it either increases/decreases their overall mark.

"

Except the covid shutdown hasn't been a break, they've had stress, been unable to see family and friends

"

Like 99% of the population

"

still getting set 5 hours of work a day, how do you think this has been a break for them?

"

I didn't say that. I meant being pissed off with extra workload

Would a government voluntary call up of retired school staff help, same way ex nhs staff were?

Not just teaching roles but admin support etc?

By *ookMan  over a year ago

london

Know this will not be a popular post but I am literally so bored of homeschooling my 2 children... both in different years and it gets harder every day to plough through the tasks which range from do a handprint artwork to design the city of tomorrow! I love them and as all parents we want to do the best for them to help them etc... None of us are trained teachers... at school they have different teachers for different things and whilst it’s been a daily routine a journey of wonderful learning and time together I am reaching the end of the line... I hope they go back soon so I can think about attempting work before the money reserve runs out...it’s been fun but enough is enough.

Dudley

"

Except the covid shutdown hasn't been a break, they've had stress, been unable to see family and friends

still getting set 5 hours of work a day, how do you think this has been a break for them?

I didn't say that. I meant being pissed off with extra workload"

You did say that, you said making the covid shutdown the summer break. It hasn't been a break.

Yes, like 99% of the population but the rest of the population aren't now worried about how they will manage to catch up in order to take exams that are basically pointless but have a shit ton of pressure around them. It's not as easy as saying they should lose their summer break.

"Know this will not be a popular post but I am literally so bored of homeschooling my 2 children... both in different years and it gets harder every day to plough through the tasks which range from do a handprint artwork to design the city of tomorrow! I love them and as all parents we want to do the best for them to help them etc... None of us are trained teachers... at school they have different teachers for different things and whilst it’s been a daily routine a journey of wonderful learning and time together I am reaching the end of the line... I hope they go back soon so I can think about attempting work before the money reserve runs out...it’s been fun but enough is enough."

Is edplace.com any help for anyone?

"

I didn't say that. I meant being pissed off with extra workload

You did say that, you said making the covid shutdown the summer break. It hasn't been a break.

Yes, like 99% of the population but the rest of the population aren't now worried about how they will manage to catch up in order to take exams that are basically pointless but have a shit ton of pressure around them. It's not as easy as saying they should lose their summer break. "

Summer break from organised education for the kids. Your an adult, you can either crack on and work on the problem or sit around and complain about everything

held back or do an extra year, whatever you want to call it, its doubling up a year group that the school doesn’t have staff or capacity for

No it isn't, all years just carry on going up, no doubling up at all. Most schools have 6th form years so instead of having 6th form students they would be doing their gcse's. There would likely need to be some restructuring but how else will the year 10's be able to take a gcse that they haven't had the full course work for? "

every year a brand new group enter education for the first year (p1 in scotland and i think you cal it reception) and everyone moves up a year with the oldest lids moving on and leaving school so there is always roughly same number of kids in the system

im not sure how you are not understanding that allowing a year group to retake a full year of education doubles up on a dull year group of numbers ... either the (year 10 i think you said) are the only ones that repeat and everyone else moves up meaning double year 10 or everyone year 10 and below repeats meaning double year 1 ... either way if you don't have one group leave as another joins there will always be double

unless your suggestion is we stop the youngest from starting and school just starts later for all children forever more ... but that doesn't work either because too many of those kids have hit the developmental age where they are too old for nursery and need the challenge of school

its only been a couple of months, easter fortnight, was part of the lockdown, may bank holidays and they have still been getting work home... you can’t delay everyone a year for the sake of a small portion of lost time

it would make more sense to offer kids optional additional study classes next year that they can sign up to if they personally need them to help get back up to speed , a bit like a homework club or when my school used to run optional easter revision right before the exams, a couple of hours a week and some hard work is all it will take and its not a bad age to be teaching them that sometimes life is going to throw you adversity and you have to get creative to problem solve

ive read that back and its full of typos sorry!

you might find instead of them being disadvantaged, with a little creative thinking, they come out the most resilient and able to deal with what life flings at them, bunch of kids to enter the workforce in a long time

Dudley

No it isn't, all years just carry on going up, no doubling up at all. Most schools have 6th form years so instead of having 6th form students they would be doing their gcse's. There would likely need to be some restructuring but how else will the year 10's be able to take a gcse that they haven't had the full course work for?

every year a brand new group enter education for the first year (p1 in scotland and i think you cal it reception) and everyone moves up a year with the oldest lids moving on and leaving school so there is always roughly same number of kids in the system

im not sure how you are not understanding that allowing a year group to retake a full year of education doubles up on a dull year group of numbers ... either the (year 10 i think you said) are the only ones that repeat and everyone else moves up meaning double year 10 or everyone year 10 and below repeats meaning double year 1 ... either way if you don't have one group leave as another joins there will always be double

unless your suggestion is we stop the youngest from starting and school just starts later for all children forever more ... but that doesn't work either because too many of those kids have hit the developmental age where they are too old for nursery and need the challenge of school

its only been a couple of months, easter fortnight, was part of the lockdown, may bank holidays and they have still been getting work home... you can’t delay everyone a year for the sake of a small portion of lost time

it would make more sense to offer kids optional additional study classes next year that they can sign up to if they personally need them to help get back up to speed , a bit like a homework club or when my school used to run optional easter revision right before the exams, a couple of hours a week and some hard work is all it will take and its not a bad age to be teaching them that sometimes life is going to throw you adversity and you have to get creative to problem solve "

In England some schools offer further education up to the age of 18, so the year 10's could redo year 10 as year 11 students, then do year 11 as year 12 students, there would have to be abit of juggling as they would have more students in year 12, but it isn't doubling up any years. Every other year will just carry on as usual.

The current year 10 students would have to start college a year later but that's not a huge issue.

It's not a perfect solution but it's better than letting them lose 4 months of schooling and just expect them to be caught up in time for their exams.

Dudley

"ive read that back and its full of typos sorry!

you might find instead of them being disadvantaged, with a little creative thinking, they come out the most resilient and able to deal with what life flings at them, bunch of kids to enter the workforce in a long time "

They might be resilient and able to deal with whatever life flings at them but at this moment in time, that doesn't help them. They are stressed, worried and don't know what's going to happen to them, theu need reassurance that they will have the same opportunity to succeed as the other kids.

you might find instead of them being disadvantaged, with a little creative thinking, they come out the most resilient and able to deal with what life flings at them, bunch of kids to enter the workforce in a long time

They might be resilient and able to deal with whatever life flings at them but at this moment in time, that doesn't help them. They are stressed, worried and don't know what's going to happen to them, theu need reassurance that they will have the same opportunity to succeed as the other kids. "

What happened to making your own opportunity and be proactive. Those that want to learn will read books and so some work. Those that want to toss it off will do nothing all day and hang out with friends not social distancing. It's the choice they make. They have the choice to do work or do nothing. Wish people would stop hoping they are entiled to everything, so the work and effort and it will pay off.

it would make more sense to offer kids optional additional study classes next year that they can sign up to if they personally need them to help get back up to speed , a bit like a homework club or when my school used to run optional easter revision right before the exams, a couple of hours a week and some hard work is all it will take and its not a bad age to be teaching them that sometimes life is going to throw you adversity and you have to get creative to problem solve

In England some schools offer further education up to the age of 18, so the year 10's could redo year 10 as year 11 students, then do year 11 as year 12 students, there would have to be abit of juggling as they would have more students in year 12, but it isn't doubling up any years. Every other year will just carry on as usual.

The current year 10 students would have to start college a year later but that's not a huge issue.

It's not a perfect solution but it's better than letting them lose 4 months of schooling and just expect them to be caught up in time for their exams. "

so youve pushed the double up into year 12 ... no matter how you try to carve it up, there is no getting around the fact that to allow all those pupils to retake a year you have increased the pupil numbers by a full year group at the exact time there is already going to be both staff and space shortages from trying to get pupils back to school while social distanced

if kids have missed 4 full months of work they are in the absolute minority , more fool them for sitting at home 4 months ignoring all the work they were sent home,

They might be resilient and able to deal with whatever life flings at them but at this moment in time, that doesn't help them. They are stressed, worried and don't know what's going to happen to them, theu need reassurance that they will have the same opportunity to succeed as the other kids. "

Totally agree. My son is risillient, and able to cope (thank fully ) but I still think it’s awful if they expect year 10 to sit exams without lowering the pass mark.

They might be resilient and able to deal with whatever life flings at them but at this moment in time, that doesn't help them. They are stressed, worried and don't know what's going to happen to them, theu need reassurance that they will have the same opportunity to succeed as the other kids.

Totally agree. My son is risillient, and able to cope (thank fully ) but I still think it’s awful if they expect year 10 to sit exams without lowering the pass mark. "

Stop been so soft. Those who work for it will pass those who don't may not. If they lowered it, that years GCSEs would become meaningless.

» Add a new message to this topic