dexamethasone

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *az080378 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Cromer

Seems to be really good new regarding the impact this drug has against covid19

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *tticusukMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Great to see we are finally starting to develop a working arsenal against this thing. Still no silver bullet but a huge step forward.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Needed to Google it.

Looks promising though

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

At long last some actual proper evidence as opposed to the hydroxychloroquine/Trump make it up as you go along stuff

This is how medicine has evolved to where we are today- study, trials, evidence etc - it’s the way humans and science progresses

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah, but I’ve got inside information that says that the company who distributes dexamethasone worldwide is owned by Bill Gates. Makes you think?

Actually that’s a lie! But someone will say it.

In fact it’s the first BBC latest news update for months that filled me with real hope. Long may it continue

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Lets not go down the route of slating other users for what they say...lets just be hopeful that this is a breakthrough

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

It's working for those who needed ventilation, trial said the drug had no impact on those who didn't need ventilation but took it. Hopefully a blood clot treatment will be achieved to run along with it then the recovery time will be easier on the patient

"Lets not go down the route of slating other users for what they say...lets just be hopeful that this is a breakthrough"

Point taken, apologies

It’s brilliant news though

By *tticusukMan  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"It's working for those who needed ventilation, trial said the drug had no impact on those who didn't need ventilation but took it. Hopefully a blood clot treatment will be achieved to run along with it then the recovery time will be easier on the patient "

I’m sure it helped 20% of patients on oxygen.

staffordshire

[Removed by poster at 16/06/20 14:37:17]

staffordshire

"It's working for those who needed ventilation, trial said the drug had no impact on those who didn't need ventilation but took it. Hopefully a blood clot treatment will be achieved to run along with it then the recovery time will be easier on the patient "

Greatest benefit for those needing ventilation not the only benefit

20% reduction in mortality for those needing oxygen but not ventilation

No benefit for those mild enough not to need oxygen

In a Sparkly Dress

"It's working for those who needed ventilation, trial said the drug had no impact on those who didn't need ventilation but took it. Hopefully a blood clot treatment will be achieved to run along with it then the recovery time will be easier on the patient

No benefit for those mild enough not to need oxygen "

By *riveu2distractionMan  over a year ago

Nr Bridgend

Cancer patients will be used to this drug. Widely used with chemo treatments.

Good news for covid patients

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

"Cancer patients will be used to this drug. Widely used with chemo treatments.

Good news for covid patients "

yes for some reason it helps with nausea after chemo

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

Dexamethazone is a common and well used steroid.

It was (maybe still, used I don't know, I retired 4 years ago) given to women who were at risk of premature birth in order to 'mature' the babys lungs ready for birth.

I can't remember just how it worked either, although I used to a short while ago!

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

An excellent step forward and much needed. I hear it was UK trials and research that discovered it but that may be just the government boasting and why not. I hear its a very old drug too so very cheap

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

"Yeah, but I’ve got inside information that says that the company who distributes dexamethasone worldwide is owned by Bill Gates. Makes you think?

Actually that’s a lie! But someone will say it.

In fact it’s the first BBC latest news update for months that filled me with real hope. Long may it continue "

Lol I was just about to call you a bad name

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

"Great to see we are finally starting to develop a working arsenal against this thing. Still no silver bullet but a huge step forward. "

Quite right, best way to look at it really is another weapon in the arsenal

"Seems to be really good new regarding the impact this drug has against covid19 "

Fingers crossed x

In a Sparkly Dress

"Great to see we are finally starting to develop a working arsenal against this thing. Still no silver bullet but a huge step forward.

Quite right, best way to look at it really is another weapon in the arsenal"

The experimental blood clot drug from Australia is going through trials now so fingers crossed for that one to succeed

Good news indeed.

"It's working for those who needed ventilation, trial said the drug had no impact on those who didn't need ventilation but took it. Hopefully a blood clot treatment will be achieved to run along with it then the recovery time will be easier on the patient

No benefit for those mild enough not to need oxygen "

Presumably if you are mild enough to not need oxygen then you not gonna die anyway?

"An excellent step forward and much needed. I hear it was UK trials and research that discovered it but that may be just the government boasting and why not. I hear its a very old drug too so very cheap"

Fiver a pop and available without licence world wide as it dates back to 1957. On hospital pharmacy shelves already....

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

Presumably if you are mild enough to not need oxygen then you not gonna die anyway?"

Yep. I think the poster was just stating the research findings

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

Presumably if you are mild enough to not need oxygen then you not gonna die anyway?"

I think it's excellent news, most people will never get to the stage where they need ventilators, it's fantastic there is some treatment for the people with the worst symptoms.

staffordshire

yes - the mortality for those patients who either don't need admission or do but never need oxygen is much much lower than those who do

so the fact this works on that group that have the highest risk of death makes it all the more useful

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It really cheered me up to hear this. . The world needs good news. It should save a high number of people from death and presumably organ damage due to cytokine storm attack.

Great news from the UK team. The fact that it's low cost should also be great for poorer countries.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Am I the only one not excited and optimistic about this?

Yes anything that reduces the mortality rate is a good thing but the level of excitement over what is actually only a small increase in the chances of surviving seems a bit premature.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"Am I the only one not excited and optimistic about this?

Yes anything that reduces the mortality rate is a good thing but the level of excitement over what is actually only a small increase in the chances of surviving seems a bit premature.

"

Seems a small increase in chances when viewed on its own, but when you figure it could have saved 5000 lives if used since the start of the outbreak, then you've got to be happy with that.

the wetlands

"

1/3 of those on ventilators and 1/5 of those on oxygen isn't worth bothering about ?

By *ornykinkycouple84Couple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"

You literally are the only one not excited etc about it.

Think what it could lead to, less deaths being the huge one and I'm sure people all over the world with loved ones on ventilators will welcome the even slightly higher chance they'll survive given this treatment also if the government knew about the drugs effects on covid its estimated it could have saved 5000 lives.

So yes in summery it is exciting news

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

"

Really? So 30 out of 100 on ventilation could survive and that's a 'small' increase? Sounds very positive news to me

"

It's the first bit of good news the world has had in a treatment against Corona. So yeah I think its bloody good news as it's a step in the right direction.

I'm just surprised that on the virus room this has got very little posts on it.

Bham

It's the first bit of good news the world has had in a treatment against Corona. So yeah I think its bloody good news as it's a step in the right direction.

I'm just surprised that on the virus room this has got very little posts on it."

I know I thought the same.

Everyone jumps on a negative thread. A positive one and it has just 17 replies when I looked for it this morning.

By *aintscoupleCouple  over a year ago

st helens

As an asthmatic sufferer i would have thought steroids would have been the first thing they would be giving to people suffering from a lung condition which causes oxygen starvation.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it would make sense that some of the different steroids would help as they are anti-inflamatories...

the other thing is that it only helps the most seriously ill as covid seems to infect the lungs and inflames them!

as someone else says... anything that will help in the arsenal!

staffordshire

"As an asthmatic sufferer i would have thought steroids would have been the first thing they would be giving to people suffering from a lung condition which causes oxygen starvation. "

No that’s wrong I’m afraid

Asthma is an inflammatory disorder so steroid help

In infections outside asthma etc it’s uncommon for steroids to be used

Bham

"As an asthmatic sufferer i would have thought steroids would have been the first thing they would be giving to people suffering from a lung condition which causes oxygen starvation.

In infections outside asthma etc it’s uncommon for steroids to be used"

Yeah doesn't it sometimes multiply the problems if given for some conditions?

By *aintscoupleCouple  over a year ago

st helens

"As an asthmatic sufferer i would have thought steroids would have been the first thing they would be giving to people suffering from a lung condition which causes oxygen starvation.

Yeah doesn't it sometimes multiply the problems if given for some conditions? "

all im saying is i would have thought they would have looked into it before now after all there was research into what good bleach based products would be.

staffordshire

As a general principle - if it’s an infection alone steroids suppressing your immune system doesn’t help and can help

If it’s the inflammatory response of your own body to an infection that’s doing more damage than the virus is eg what happens with covid, or with conditions like asthma, steroids suppressing the immune system does help

So it’s a case of picking which conditions they work for and which you should avoid them in

staffordshire

Yeah doesn't it sometimes multiply the problems if given for some conditions? all im saying is i would have thought they would have looked into it before now after all there was research into what good bleach based products would be.

"

The trial was started fairly early in the covid timeline in the UK, this is as quick as you ever get answers from research

By *ovissime acutamMan  over a year ago

Oxford

Yeah doesn't it sometimes multiply the problems if given for some conditions? all im saying is i would have thought they would have looked into it before now after all there was research into what good bleach based products would be.

The trial was started fairly early in the covid timeline in the UK, this is as quick as you ever get answers from research "

Correct, firstly we need to recruit a suitable number of patients to the study to collect enough data to show that the drug will be both effective and safe, that’s a basic principal of GCP.

Secondly, as this is a pandemic and requires a a more time critical response you are actually seeing the fast tracking of treatments. This means they acquire NICE approval for the given indication much quicker than a normal study.

the wetlands

Well I guess all those doctors wasted so much time when they could have got all the advice they needed here

Finally, some actual scientific data on a drug, rather than superstitious wishful thinking over that hydroxychloroquine nonsense.

"Well I guess all those doctors wasted so much time when they could have got all the advice they needed here "

you dont need to ask if theres a doctor in the house on here

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

"Well I guess all those doctors wasted so much time when they could have got all the advice they needed here "
exactly this

"As an asthmatic sufferer i would have thought steroids would have been the first thing they would be giving to people suffering from a lung condition which causes oxygen starvation. "

I assume it was put forward to being researched, by doctors who have used this to treat the excessive inflammatory response due to covid (ie those on O2 and those on ventilators) and had some success.

Like you and I know, steroids are used for respiratory issues. I am just surprised it has taken this long for the results.

staffordshire

This is the scientific rationale for the use of dexamethasone in the study

https://www.recoverytrial.net/files/professional-downloads/recovery-intervention-sheet-dexamethasone-v2-0.pdf

"This is the scientific rationale for the use of dexamethasone in the study

https://www.recoverytrial.net/files/professional-downloads/recovery-intervention-sheet-dexamethasone-v2-0.pdf"

Thanks.

Interesting effect of potential hyperglycaemia.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Good news.

It's what happens when the professionals are allowed to get on with it without interference from politicians or shareholders.

The benefit of it being unglamorous.

Well done to the teams still grinding through all of the other existing drugs to assess their efficacy win or lose

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

It would help if this sneering would stop, it doesn't add anything to a debate and just sends a thread the wrong way

People can have a different view than you without being attacked this way

By *ovissime acutamMan  over a year ago

Oxford

"Well I guess all those doctors wasted so much time when they could have got all the advice they needed here

It would help if this sneering would stop, it doesn't add anything to a debate and just sends a thread the wrong way

People can have a different view than you without being attacked this way"

As a medic myself I agree.

I feel some people may comment with good intentions but limited knowledge and don’t need to be met with disparaging remarks.

» Add a new message to this topic