FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Stimulus Check

Stimulus Check

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atBottomGirls OP   Woman  over a year ago

St Austell-ish

As a US citizen, apparently I qualify for a stimulus check (approx £1000).

I find this a bit odd, as, though I pay taxes in both countries, I live in the UK, and the majority of money I spend is here.

I intend to pass a portion of this amount to my kids (they are young, not well off, and in the UK), but spend most of it buying locally and donating to food banks and supporting those getting away from domestic violence.

Is is odd to spend money meant to support the US economy in a different country? I don't think so...I believe in supporting those in my region.

What would you do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Well done I admire you and respect you

St Austell-ish

"Well done I admire you and respect you"

Thanks! I'd like to say I'm not looking for approval (though it's nice to hear).

If you had a check from the government and would spend it in another country, how would you go about it? Donate back to that economy? or in the place you live?

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Are there any restrictions on which shops or charities worldwide can accept this stimulus cheque ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Was puzzled when I first read this. Then I realised you meant a stimulus cheque....

By *ldaCouple  over a year ago

sutton Coldfield

Two countries separated by a common language..............

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

I say buy American goods, for your family to enjoy here.

Don't forget the Barack O's Tacos stimulus stack deal.

By *inky SpiceWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"As a US citizen, apparently I qualify for a stimulus check (approx £1000).

I find this a bit odd, as, though I pay taxes in both countries, I live in the UK, and the majority of money I spend is here.

I intend to pass a portion of this amount to my kids (they are young, not well off, and in the UK), but spend most of it buying locally and donating to food banks and supporting those getting away from domestic violence.

Is is odd to spend money meant to support the US economy in a different country? I don't think so...I believe in supporting those in my region.

What would you do?"

If I were in your situation I think I would buy from small businesses in the U.S. For me specifically I'd buy from sellers on Etsy as that's my kind of thing. I appreciate the idea of wanting to support your local area but I think small businesses and individuals in the U.S. are experiencing a harder time than we are here. I believe their only government support has been a one off stimulus cheque of $1400, correct me if I'm wrong, and that certainly won't go far.

"Was puzzled when I first read this. Then I realised you meant a stimulus cheque...."

Ha, yeah I was wondering how they could check my stimulus

I would spend it here on whatever I wanted and wouldn't feel guilty at all. The USA is terrible to US citizens. X

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If I didn't need to use it quickly to help support me, I'd probably allocate most to the USA where it's needed and I'm connected with.

St Austell-ish

Good points, all, and thanks. And yes, I did mean cheque.

Language, I'll never be a native here!

Food bank is the way to go, I think. It's insane when people can't afford food, this is even more of a basic human right than health care (which is also downright shit, there).

The US government presumably still taxes you as they do ALL dual citizens, so I don't see any reason whatsoever to feel any guilt over getting a so called 'hand out' from them.

You are contributing to their economy (via tax) and until they decide to no longer tax you then they have no argument to say otherwise.

Out of interest. Does living in the UK somehow make you feel "not" American?

I would feel like a tiny bit of you is still connected to your home country in some way and it shows at least on paper, that your country still considers you a part of itself.

That's something to feel good about.

» Add a new message to this topic