FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The government app has been dropped

The government app has been dropped

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uninlondon69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

Rory Cellan-Jones on twitter: BBC scoop - NHS abandons centralised contact tracing app, moves to Apple/Google decentralised model

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53095336

Will Dominic Cummings' mates be handing back the £250,000,000 they were given to run our "world beating" system?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

This 'leadership' fails at every stage of this disaster. Unwilling to listen, collaborate - unless mates can earn £millions from outsourcing - and definitely not to be honest or competent.

There was news yesterday that our app was possibly going to be ready for December , after their doublespeak in. May.

At any other point in history they would have been dismissed

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What a load of drivel some spit out on here. I see a government that listens a lot. They make mistakes and then correct them. So gets on my nerves about hostile negativity post after post and seeing it from the left wing media point of view that it's a U turn. Sometimes U turns are needed if you are going down a blind alley. If only it was possible to be making the right decisions all the time. Would life be so bloody perfect ? if we were all a flipping Fab expert.

Where on God's hlorious planet does £250,000,000 and "Dominic Cummings Mate's" come into the equation??

They already had an app that had been developed for an experiment run on a 2019 documentary for the BBC.

They already hade some 1.5 million users, and the infrastructure... but noooo. Gotta use one of Cumming's mates.

By *rsbrooksandjohnCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"What a load of drivel some spit out on here. I see a government that listens a lot. They make mistakes and then correct them. So gets on my nerves about hostile negativity post after post and seeing it from the left wing media point of view that it's a U turn. Sometimes U turns are needed if you are going down a blind alley. If only it was possible to be making the right decisions all the time. Would life be so bloody perfect ? if we were all a flipping Fab expert. "

Agree with the comments above. All those who think they can do better put your real names down and stand in the next election be it local or countrywide. If not stop all the negativity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when it is constantly negative it doesn t do any good except make more people switch off to your view when you have something positive to say. As my gran used to say " if you can t say something nice .don't say anything at all.

"What a load of drivel some spit out on here. I see a government that listens a lot. They make mistakes and then correct them. So gets on my nerves about hostile negativity post after post and seeing it from the left wing media point of view that it's a U turn. Sometimes U turns are needed if you are going down a blind alley. If only it was possible to be making the right decisions all the time. Would life be so bloody perfect ? if we were all a flipping Fab expert.

Agree with the comments above. All those who think they can do better put your real names down and stand in the next election be it local or countrywide. If not stop all the negativity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when it is constantly negative it doesn t do any good except make more people switch off to your view when you have something positive to say. As my gran used to say " if you can t say something nice .don't say anything at all. "

Yep totally agree, they tried to set up an app to get the most information possible, hence why they went with the centralised method, it was shown not to do what they wanted due to limitations with Bluetooth technology, so now they are going with the decentralised method, less information can be gathered, but more likely to work. However it will still not be perfect, other countries that initially adopted the decentralised method are still having issues with it.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"What a load of drivel some spit out on here. I see a government that listens a lot. They make mistakes and then correct them. So gets on my nerves about hostile negativity post after post and seeing it from the left wing media point of view that it's a U turn. Sometimes U turns are needed if you are going down a blind alley. If only it was possible to be making the right decisions all the time. Would life be so bloody perfect ? if we were all a flipping Fab expert. "

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"What a load of drivel some spit out on here. I see a government that listens a lot. They make mistakes and then correct them. So gets on my nerves about hostile negativity post after post and seeing it from the left wing media point of view that it's a U turn. Sometimes U turns are needed if you are going down a blind alley. If only it was possible to be making the right decisions all the time. Would life be so bloody perfect ? if we were all a flipping Fab expert.

Agree with the comments above. All those who think they can do better put your real names down and stand in the next election be it local or countrywide. If not stop all the negativity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when it is constantly negative it doesn t do any good except make more people switch off to your view when you have something positive to say. As my gran used to say " if you can t say something nice .don't say anything at all. "

Agree with the comments above. All those who think they can do better put your real names down and stand in the next election be it local or countrywide. If not stop all the negativity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but when it is constantly negative it doesn t do any good except make more people switch off to your view when you have something positive to say. As my gran used to say " if you can t say something nice .don't say anything at all.

Yep totally agree, they tried to set up an app to get the most information possible, hence why they went with the centralised method, it was shown not to do what they wanted due to limitations with Bluetooth technology, so now they are going with the decentralised method, less information can be gathered, but more likely to work. However it will still not be perfect, other countries that initially adopted the decentralised method are still having issues with it."

The problem isn't that they make mistakes it's because they have information from other sources that if they used would be as effective as they need. Instead they decide to do their own things and then it goes wrong. People are frustrated that the obvious choice seems to always be the last choice. By the way I'm a centralist and also have big issues with the left wing looking for any reason to complain

By *arksxMan  over a year ago

Leicester / London

No one is complaining about u turns

We are complaining about a government who has been criminally negligent.

Whilst China, Iran and Italy burnt from the virus amdd sout Asia was limiting their infection was tried and tested measures.... what was borris doing?

Going on daytime TV saying brexit was gonna to be a success and that he would continue shaking hands and that the uk population should have a stiff upper lip about the virus....

Thats is the "this morning" interview if you would like to look it up

Or what about a civil aide to the government being caught breaking the lockdown LAWS he helped create.

Only to not apologise breaking them or resign or even be fired

Then there is the illegal perouging of parliament borris authorised last year.

I don't mind people making mistakes and I don't mind lessons being learned.

But 50,000+ people and their families have had the lives of loved ones prematurely taken from them because borris and the government continued to make mistake due to arrogance and continue to do so with out remorse

By *uninlondon69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

It's an internet forum. You don't have to read it. Spoiler alert - more negativity here (garnished with a few facts).

Marc Warner, brother of Ben Warner (Part of vote leave) was given a £250m contract to set this up. That contract was never put to tender. What's better than £250m for producing an app and accessing fuckloads of voter data? Answer: £250m for not producing the app but still getting all the data.

60000+ dead and their main concern is money in the pockets of their donors - Dido Harding (wife of another tory MP, donor to Matt Hancock) is in charge of the whole track & trace system.

And all the time people are outraged about £900,000 on a paintjob for a plane, they're not asking difficult questions about the corruption that killed grandad.

It's an internet forum. You don't have to read it. Spoiler alert - more negativity here (garnished with a few facts).

Marc Warner, brother of Ben Warner (Part of vote leave) was given a £250m contract to set this up. That contract was never put to tender. What's better than £250m for producing an app and accessing fuckloads of voter data? Answer: £250m for not producing the app but still getting all the data.

60000+ dead and their main concern is money in the pockets of their donors - Dido Harding (wife of another tory MP, donor to Matt Hancock) is in charge of the whole track & trace system.

And all the time people are outraged about £900,000 on a paintjob for a plane, they're not asking difficult questions about the corruption that killed grandad.

"

You moan the government wasn't fast enough and then moan that something wasn't put out to tender, you know, that process that takes months at the best of times.

There is regulations to allow contacts without tender in times of specific need, or doesn't this qualify as that? And let's not forget, governments on both sides have used this before, so I hope you're just as indignant about labour?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

What left wing media?

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

The whole of the virus forum should now be in Politics. So boring. If it ain't Cummings It's Boris If it Ain't Boris it's an Advisor If it ain't an Advisor it's . . . . Yawn after Yawn after Yawn.

What left wing media?"

What do you think the Guardian is hahaha

liverpool

What left wing media?

What do you think the Guardian is hahaha"

Centre?

You moan the government wasn't fast enough and then moan that something wasn't put out to tender, you know, that process that takes months at the best of times.

There is regulations to allow contacts without tender in times of specific need, or doesn't this qualify as that? And let's not forget, governments on both sides have used this before, so I hope you're just as indignant about labour?"

Your diverting attention away from the issue. This isn't about political parties but a weakness in leadership. They could've reacted the same way as many other countries did but instead tried their own ideas fueled from personal agendas which had led to vastly greater deaths

What left wing media?

Centre?"

At minimum they are left centre bias.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

You don't have to be an MP to know what you want for the country. You don't have to be positive about something the Government has been rubbish at , you are allowed to say what you think be that positive or negative.

I personally think that U turns or whatever else people want to call them are a good thing, it means they are admitting they have messed up and are now changing what they are doing...but I don't think the firm who had the original contract should be paid if they have not delivered

liverpool

What left wing media?

Centre?

At minimum they are left centre bias. "

Bloody commies!

What left wing media?

Centre?

Bloody commies!"

No. That's Comrade Corbyn and The Corbies.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

OK back to the question

liverpool

What left wing media?

Centre?

Bloody commies!

No. That's Comrade Corbyn and The Corbies. "

The Corbies are where the cool kids are at

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"OK back to the question"

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Of course it has; just like most things they waste our money on. I remember being at 48hr event in Piccadilly to launch the new integrated 14-19 Diploma, with all the IT systems to aggregate results that must have cost a good £250m, a year later they were back to BTEC again. The 48hr enent even had a free bar, one round I got cost me (you) over £500

Omnishambles.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

I see a government that couldn’t organise anything remotely important and fuck up everything they get involved in because they are below average intelligence, but luckily they voters even thicker

By *ik MMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"Rory Cellan-Jones on twitter: BBC scoop - NHS abandons centralised contact tracing app, moves to Apple/Google decentralised model

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53095336

Will Dominic Cummings' mates be handing back the £250,000,000 they were given to run our "world beating" system?"

So you’re saying that £250m was just handed over? No clauses, small print or incentive structure?

By *exy7Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Maybe you can explain to us why this gvt has refused to use the same app that numerous are using for weeks just for the sake of not doing like anybody else? No, they want to be world beating at everything. Well we are world beating at getting crap and being a laughing stock. One month ago, the app was meant to be the dog's bollocks and now it's gone out of the window. As usual, they're going to lie to us and put as much spin as possible to justify their shitty mess and people like you will buy it because you just don't want to admit that these incompetent clowns are just incompetent clowns.

WORLD BEATING??? LOL

Bristol

I see a government that couldn’t organise anything remotely important and fuck up everything they get involved in because they are below average intelligence, but luckily they voters even thicker "

I couldn't agree more. The sheep and the brainwashed are plentiful.

Maybe you can explain to us why this gvt has refused to use the same app that numerous are using for weeks just for the sake of not doing like anybody else? No, they want to be world beating at everything. Well we are world beating at getting crap and being a laughing stock. One month ago, the app was meant to be the dog's bollocks and now it's gone out of the window. As usual, they're going to lie to us and put as much spin as possible to justify their shitty mess and people like you will buy it because you just don't want to admit that these incompetent clowns are just incompetent clowns.

WORLD BEATING??? LOL "

They were trying to develop an app using a the centralised method precisely because it gives more information to scientists, this was found not to work as intended due to inherent technical issues with the fundamental way Bluetooth works. They have gone for the same method now that other countries have, which still have issues due to Bluetooth signal inaccuracies. Let me be absolutely specific, the app technology that other countries are using and you are holding up as a beacon of how great everyone else is still has flaws!

Bristol

WORLD BEATING??? LOL

They were trying to develop an app using a the centralised method precisely because it gives more information to scientists, this was found not to work as intended due to inherent technical issues with the fundamental way Bluetooth works. They have gone for the same method now that other countries have, which still have issues due to Bluetooth signal inaccuracies. Let me be absolutely specific, the app technology that other countries are using and you are holding up as a beacon of how great everyone else is still has flaws!"

It probably has its flaws but how much time have we lost? Had we gone for it immediately, we could probably reduce social distancing to 1m, schools could welcome more children and the economy would have taken less of a battering. These guys have pretty much fucked up everything since the start and they're still singing and acting they were the cream of the cream, not admitting their mistakes. It's beyond belief.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

This government always does the right thing...after they've tried everything else.

By *urocougarCouple  over a year ago

watton

There is flaws in all the apps that’s the problem

They require input from the people for it to work if it doesn’t sit with peoples agenda and may cost them time off work they just won’t input that information into it if it is gonna Coast them time off work again with just sick pay to

Live on they will carry on as normal and spread the virus

We have seen how selfish people are in the uk these days it’s all about them and fuck everyone else

WORLD BEATING??? LOL

They were trying to develop an app using a the centralised method precisely because it gives more information to scientists, this was found not to work as intended due to inherent technical issues with the fundamental way Bluetooth works. They have gone for the same method now that other countries have, which still have issues due to Bluetooth signal inaccuracies. Let me be absolutely specific, the app technology that other countries are using and you are holding up as a beacon of how great everyone else is still has flaws!

It probably has its flaws but how much time have we lost? Had we gone for it immediately, we could probably reduce social distancing to 1m, schools could welcome more children and the economy would have taken less of a battering. These guys have pretty much fucked up everything since the start and they're still singing and acting they were the cream of the cream, not admitting their mistakes. It's beyond belief. "

You do realise that the app has nothing to do with social distancing guidance? The virus doesn't suddenly become less infectious just cause you have something installed on your smartphone. The government looked at the apps that existed at the time, saw the technology they have now had to go with didn't work properly, tried to come up with something better but couldn't overcome issues of radio interference on Bluetooth that can make people appear to be significantly closer to you than they actually are. But let's all string them up for trying to come up with a solution that was better than the already flawed technology that other governments were using and having problems with.

"There is flaws in all the apps that’s the problem

They require input from the people for it to work if it doesn’t sit with peoples agenda and may cost them time off work they just won’t input that information into it if it is gonna Coast them time off work again with just sick pay to

Live on they will carry on as normal and spread the virus

We have seen how selfish people are in the uk these days it’s all about them and fuck everyone else "

Absolutely right, so sick of the selfish attitude some people have, they won't compromise on any aspect of their lives to help others and expect someone else to come up with a magic plan so life can carry on as normal. I'm losing a significant amount of my monthly pay cheque at the moment, having to do more hours than normal and have just had to waste half my holiday for the year literally going nowhere, and quite frankly if that's all I have to give up to help in some small way get the country through this, I'll happily call it a win.

By *ondoctorMan  over a year ago

birmingham

You are all wasting your breath,its as if they are enjoying the struggle we are going thru and it makes them all look more intelligent, im sure we will be seeing them at the dsily briefings soon

Bristol

"You are all wasting your breath,its as if they are enjoying the struggle we are going thru and it makes them all look more intelligent, im sure we will be seeing them at the dsily briefings soon "

Of course they're not. But seeing them refusing point blank to admit any mistakes is just shocking and appalling.

Been listening to Hancock a minute ago. Now they're blaming Apple. These muppets make a habit of blaming everyone. Now that the EU can't take the flack for everything, they're running out of scapegoats.

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 18:03:21]

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 18:03:23]

By *nowsleyladMan  over a year ago

NW

I see a government that couldn’t organise anything remotely important and fuck up everything they get involved in because they are below average intelligence, but luckily they voters even thicker

I couldn't agree more. The sheep and the brainwashed are plentiful. "

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

"

By *urocougarCouple  over a year ago

watton

"You are all wasting your breath,its as if they are enjoying the struggle we are going thru and it makes them all look more intelligent, im sure we will be seeing them at the dsily briefings soon

Of course they're not. But seeing them refusing point blank to admit any mistakes is just shocking and appalling.

Been listening to Hancock a minute ago. Now they're blaming Apple. These muppets make a habit of blaming everyone. Now that the EU can't take the flack for everything, they're running out of scapegoats. "

Like most people in the uk these days there is no accountability

They need to be spoon fed information

They always looking to point the finger of blame on others even when it’s there own fault there a selfish twat and only think of themselves and what is in it for them

You are the one dripping in drivel I'm afraid

How you can protect a government with this pandemic record is beyond comprehension

1. SLOW ON LOCKDOWN

2.SLOW ON CLOSING BORDER

3.TRACK AND TRACE FARCE

4.PPE EQUIPMENT A FARCE

5.SHIT GUIDANCETO PUBLIC

6.DICKED CUMMINGS

This and everything else from that wank head school guy Gavin (private pike they called the joke figure he was at the Mod)

U turns here and there there is no leadership of any quality within the tory party. A bunch of old Etonian out of touch twatheeds

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Churchill said something like America will do the right thing after they have tried everything else, it's somewhat pertinent to the Johnson cabinet.

Unfortunately people have needlessly died in the meantime.

The NHS X app was always a non starter, Apple was never going to modify their OS to accommodate the UK Govt.

By *hat BlokeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

This government are as inept as any that we have had. Critising government is a democratic right. If you guys have a problem with it. Don’t read any further. If you wish to debate the debacle this government has made over this, I am happy to discuss.

Out of interest, what have the government got right since we knew about the pandemic? Genuine question before you say I'm having a pop.

I'll give them some credit for furlough.... over to you.

This government are as inept as any that we have had. Critising government is a democratic right. If you guys have a problem with it. Don’t read any further. If you wish to debate the debacle this government has made over this, I am happy to discuss."

Here here you man you get my vote

They will go down as the biggest joke in political history

Out of interest, what have the government got right since we knew about the pandemic? Genuine question before you say I'm having a pop.

I'll give them some credit for furlough.... over to you. "

If you've been off the past 3 months people will say the job retention scheme

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

can you imagine the absulout shit storm there would be now if this had been announced by jermy cobynes spokesman

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok after seeing what the daily briefing had to say, I have changed my mind about the U turn, they have no clue what they are doing with this app. Instead they thought lets try and deflect it by blaming apple, talk about horse racing , talk about humans a lot and stick a cherry on Dido, that should shut the country up

By *hilMan  over a year ago

HOUGHTON LE SPRING

WORLD BEATING??? LOL "

MORE WORLD CHEATING

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

This government are as inept as any that we have had. Critising government is a democratic right. If you guys have a problem with it. Don’t read any further. If you wish to debate the debacle this government has made over this, I am happy to discuss."

Agree. They are in a position of responsibility. This is their job which they are paid to do. They need to be held accountable. If I pay a chef to make me a souffle and he brings me out a hot dog, of course I am going to complain.

By *otsonewMan  over a year ago

All over North and Scotland

Might be off the mark here as I only caught a bit of what was said but as I understood it the government app and those of other countries works better re distances than apple's but they have their own app and refuse so work together? If that is the case that is an absolute scandal!

By *utualpleasure42Man  over a year ago

enter location here

I think people need to look into the tories a lot more. And they will figure out how corrupt the gov is with handing out contract a to fancy donors with their funny handshake clubs.

Ppe contract with a company that doesn't make ppe whilst the normal ppe companies didn't know anything about the possibility of gaining a new contract.

Track and trace contracts going to a useless donor whilst there was a Google/Apple system already installed on our phones.

What else? You'll be surprised.

So much for a world class system.

You think they'd have done the research first.

So many measures put in place so late in the day.

Wonder if they will get such a majority in election 2024 ?

The tories will soon start falling out amongst themselves they always do.

I thought it was a lot of crap in the first place

You don't have to be an MP to know what you want for the country. You don't have to be positive about something the Government has been rubbish at , you are allowed to say what you think be that positive or negative.

I personally think that U turns or whatever else people want to call them are a good thing, it means they are admitting they have messed up and are now changing what they are doing...but I don't think the firm who had the original contract should be paid if they have not delivered"

U turns demonstrate incompetance.

Central

So much time and money wasted with this.

First off we didn't lockdown quickly or appropriately. Cost 20,000 lives, possibly more.

We didn't order or manage PPE when it eas more easily available. We also didn't order testing supplies and then thousands went untested and untraceable. People died alone at home, discovered weeks later

We declared care homes suitable to not be monitored, despite experts warnings in March/April.

We let flights come from around the world without quarantine or testing as standard when hundreds brought the virus to the UK from Spain, Italy, France and elsewhere.

We shut down experienced health contact tracing teams from March. Only to announce in May to do tracing with an outsourced contract for £tens of millions And to get private development of an app that could have been from open sourced software but instead we insisted on making it our way even though we made the specs inappropriate.

We wasted more precious time, all the while when lost time can mean more deaths.

We have poor judgement and it's cost us so heavily. Time easted, lost opportunity and lives numbering in the tens of thousands that were a voidable. We all make mistakes but there's too much of a standard pattern here.

"So much time and money wasted with this.

First off we didn't lockdown quickly or appropriately. Cost 20,000 lives, possibly more.

We didn't order or manage PPE when it eas more easily available. We also didn't order testing supplies and then thousands went untested and untraceable. People died alone at home, discovered weeks later

We declared care homes suitable to not be monitored, despite experts warnings in March/April.

We let flights come from around the world without quarantine or testing as standard when hundreds brought the virus to the UK from Spain, Italy, France and elsewhere.

We shut down experienced health contact tracing teams from March. Only to announce in May to do tracing with an outsourced contract for £tens of millions And to get private development of an app that could have been from open sourced software but instead we insisted on making it our way even though we made the specs inappropriate.

We wasted more precious time, all the while when lost time can mean more deaths.

We have poor judgement and it's cost us so heavily. Time easted, lost opportunity and lives numbering in the tens of thousands that were a voidable. We all make mistakes but there's too much of a standard pattern here.

Exactly, and what makes it worse is there is a rule for them and one for us.

Did anyone see Hancock break social distancing by putting his hand on a colleagues shoulder in parliament.

Plus when challenged about anything they are arrogant too.

I've not voted labour but there is always a first time.

If labour return to the centre ground then it's game on.

"

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

They were told back in April that this approach wouldnt work but ignored the advice (those bloody experts again). Instead they told us a) that it would work, b) it would be rolled out by mid May and c) it would be world beating. Oddly, and yet again, it turned out to be bluster and bullshit.

The apps that are being used in Switzerland etc have open source code which we could have used but chose not to because we knew better.

Mistake after mistake, lie after lie: theyre really not very good at this stuff

By *uHorny1Man  over a year ago

Cannock

I couldn't agree more. The sheep and the brainwashed are plentiful. "

I also see an electorate who are somewhat embarrassed by what they voted for, but instead of getting angry with the "leadership", keep sticking up for them to cover their own arses. There's an awful lot of people I know, who I can legitimately say "I told you so" at the moment.

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

You are the one dripping in drivel I'm afraid

How you can protect a government with this pandemic record is beyond comprehension

1. SLOW ON LOCKDOWN

2.SLOW ON CLOSING BORDER

3.TRACK AND TRACE FARCE

4.PPE EQUIPMENT A FARCE

5.SHIT GUIDANCETO PUBLIC

6.DICKED CUMMINGS

This and everything else from that wank head school guy Gavin (private pike they called the joke figure he was at the Mod)

U turns here and there there is no leadership of any quality within the tory party. A bunch of old Etonian out of touch twatheeds"

To quote an old WW1 phrase "Lions led by Donkeys"

Why am I not surprised this app has died out quicker than a snowball landing a volcano.

From the very start they were warned it would not work properly.

They were warned it would not comply with privacy regulations.

They were warned Bluetooth was not suitable for this task.

Litterally hundreds of genuine experts - from IT, app developers, scie tists and even radio engineers all warned that this app would never work properly and as usual, nobody listened.

£250 million wasted on yet another white elephant scheme buf of course, the favoured few got the money so that's all right...

Don't even get me started on the security falws uncovered, the potential for scope creep and the complete lunacy of trying to 'work around' the restrictions baked i to the OS by the manufacturer.

It's an absolute disgrace. Whoever authorized this scheme should be prosecuted for fraud.

Central

The magic money tree has to be harvested for political friends whilst they can get away with it surely. Especially whilst some gullible or selfinterested people aren't able to either care or be bothered to do more than repeat the lines, like 'world beating' that the clown spouts.

Hundreds of millions of pounds paid to friends without medical capabilities or technical competence, friends of Cummings bank accounts swollen etc.

Monday that could have paid for real NHS needs, including medicines.

Pockets lined very nicely, that's what matters. Any of us who had a simple instruction, to create an app that worked using the 2 main phone systems, that had black and white specifications and failed on 1 of them by wilful neglect, would be out of a job.

Some people prefer the lies and misdirection, their game of thrones fantasy escape, as the horrors of so many needless deaths and people left disabled for life with organ damage makes me cry.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Chap on news night yesterday who helped to design the Swiss app wrote on early April to explain the problems there were in his professional opinion to the government who of course didn't listen..

The Swiss app is available now and easily adapted to be up and runningbut once again we seem to be tied to another flawed policy, is it another company set up by cummings and his friends I wonder..

Hancock said we will be working together with Google or apple, can't recall which one but they have said overnight that's the first they heard of it..

Maybe it's like the bio security set up he was mantioning which at that time wasn't up and running..

More smoke and mirrors from a government that has made some big mistakes thus far in this pandemic..

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I personally think that U turns or whatever else people want to call them are a good thing, it means they are admitting they have messed up and are now changing what they are doing...but I don't think the firm who had the original contract should be paid if they have not delivered

U turns demonstrate incompetance."

In this case that's for sure

By *adyinred696969Couple  over a year ago

Brecon

Does this mean then that the app that has been put on people's phones without permission will be removed?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

There was in my opinion a desire to do our own post brexit thing, on the back of not signing up to the EU scheme much earlier on as we supposedly 'missed the email'..

Why in the crisis we are in and with the importance placed on this app as part of our world beating attempts to get on top of it are we still fannying about?

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"Does this mean then that the app that has been put on people's phones without permission will be removed?"

if you mean the health notification on your android or apple phones

Has Google installed the Tories’ tracking app on your Android phone without asking? No, it seems not

Android phone users in the UK have reacted in alarm to the uninvited appearance of a new section in the ‘Google settings’ of their handset – one named ‘COVID-19 exposure notifications.

However, it appears that what Google has installed in its settings section is not the Tories’ app – but rather a space or slot through which users can choose to connect to a state tracing app for notifications of exposure to someone infected with COVID-19

iphones are the same

as goes for the deaths in care homes many elderly hospital patients was sent home with covid 19 infections

Dr Gardner, from Sidmouth, Devon, said: "My father was one of the thousands of vulnerable people who died in a care home during this pandemic.

"His death certificate says 'probable COVID-19' because he was not tested.

"The care home should have been a safe place, instead, he was put at risk because of a government decision to discharge patients from hospitals with no regard for Coronavirus infection risk."

Michael Gibson fell ill on March 14 and died on April 3, at the care home in Oxfordshire where he had lived.

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"The magic money tree has to be harvested for political friends whilst they can get away with it surely. Especially whilst some gullible or selfinterested people aren't able to either care or be bothered to do more than repeat the lines, like 'world beating' that the clown spouts.

Hundreds of millions of pounds paid to friends without medical capabilities or technical competence, friends of Cummings bank accounts swollen etc.

Pockets lined very nicely, that's what matters. Any of us who had a simple instruction, to create an app that worked using the 2 main phone systems, that had black and white specifications and failed on 1 of them by wilful neglect, would be out of a job.

Some people prefer the lies and misdirection, their game of thrones fantasy escape, as the horrors of so many needless deaths and people left disabled for life with organ damage makes me cry. "

It is indeed a disgrace. There should be criminal proceedings against those in government. Anyone who thinks they have been even half-competent is deluded.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

Government IT projects always overun, cost three times more than the original allocated budget and very often get quietly ditched because they just don't work.

The use of 'Government' and 'IT' in the same sentence is always an indicator of forthcoming disaster, regardless of which flavour of government you like.

By *ysterious_MidnightCouple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

As if we all didnt see this coming, most hopeless government ever

By *wistedTooCouple  over a year ago

Frimley

It’s the system they’re using that’s changed. The app itself will be repurposed to work with Apple and Google’s APIs.

Frimley

"Does this mean then that the app that has been put on people's phones without permission will be removed?"

The U.K. government hasn’t done that. You should check for malware ...

"It’s the system they’re using that’s changed. The app itself will be repurposed to work with Apple and Google’s APIs. "

Why wasn’t that done at the start

There's no such thing, not from official sources anyway. Can't comment on you getting malware elsewhere though.

By *r_Jake70Man  over a year ago

London

I didn’t write this.

Copied and pasted from a friend’s timeline

Apple - We will make a free track and trace system.

Google - We will help, then it will works across 99 percent of phones. Should be ready by May.

UK govt - No, We'll make our own version.

Apple and Google - you'd need our help.

Uk govt. - No we don’t, Dom's mate says he can do it.

Apple and Google - off you go then.

Dom's mate - can I have your propriety code.

Apple and Google - hahahaha. No.

Dom's mate - why not?

Apple and Google - Because your system breaches international privacy laws by ripping people’s contact data and storing it on your servers so you can use or sell it later.

Public - It does? Fuck that!

Hancock - our world beating system is up and running, at a cost of only £120,000,000

NHS - no it’s not.

Hancock - we have hit a snag.

Public - What’s that?

Hancock - It doesn't work on iPhones. Or Android. And nobody wants to download it.

Whole world - really...?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"It’s the system they’re using that’s changed. The app itself will be repurposed to work with Apple and Google’s APIs. "

According to Apple no one from the Government has spoken to them about this

A phone tracking app only works if more than 80% sign up. No country has had more than 40/50% so waste of time move on never going to work.

Derry

"It’s the system they’re using that’s changed. The app itself will be repurposed to work with Apple and Google’s APIs.

According to Apple no one from the Government has spoken to them about this"

It was known weeks ago the NHS X app wasn't compatible with how IOS manages power and bluetooth

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"

According to Apple no one from the Government has spoken to them about this

"

Somewhere out there will be a junior minister trying to do a deal with a greengrocer to get access to an apple with a bunch of grapes as a backhander...

Derry

"A phone tracking app only works if more than 80% sign up. No country has had more than 40/50% so waste of time move on never going to work. "

Nobody has ever claimed it was a silver bullet, however it is another tool that can be used to track and limit the spread of the virus, when used as part of a mass testing and contact tracing strategy.

By *r_Jake70Man  over a year ago

London

"A phone tracking app only works if more than 80% sign up. No country has had more than 40/50% so waste of time move on never going to work. "

More bullshit I’m afraid. It depends on density not percentage. So far 8 million Germans have downloaded the app that was released on Monday, with over 70% of those questioned stating that they would. The density in some parts of the cities (where it is clearly needed the most) is already over 60% and rising.

By *ensualguy70TV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

Hmm everyone is entitled to their opinion, ? wonder why us who disagree with the government and stated our opinion on here, were referred to as Tin Foil Hat wearers.

So are we entitled to our opinion or not or was calling us Tin Foil Hat Wearers a mistake and you wish to change your mind on that??

"A phone tracking app only works if more than 80% sign up. No country has had more than 40/50% so waste of time move on never going to work.

More bullshit I’m afraid. It depends on density not percentage. So far 8 million Germans have downloaded the app that was released on Monday, with over 70% of those questioned stating that they would. The density in some parts of the cities (where it is clearly needed the most) is already over 60% and rising. "

so 8 million have downloaded the app, that's about 10% going well then.

Frimley

"It’s the system they’re using that’s changed. The app itself will be repurposed to work with Apple and Google’s APIs.

Why wasn’t that done at the start "

There will have been many business and product discussions around the viability of using these as well as custom developer tech. It was a foolish decision as we now know. But they don’t just make new things like this for fun. It would have had many factors involved. Cost would have not been the deciding factor either as clearly having tools you can work with in place is likely to reduce the development roadmap. That said, there’ll be a reason. But we will probably never know the details.

By *uyfrombristolMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I'd hot nothing to do with left or right wing points scoring. That app was doomed to failure from the start and anyone who wilfully denies it is a cretin.

liverpool

"Government IT projects always overun, cost three times more than the original allocated budget and very often get quietly ditched because they just don't work.

The use of 'Government' and 'IT' in the same sentence is always an indicator of forthcoming disaster, regardless of which flavour of government you like."

Been one in our work which has been an absolute disaster..surprised it hasnt made the papers.

Did the gmnt blame apple then?

liverpool

"The magic money tree has to be harvested for political friends whilst they can get away with it surely. Especially whilst some gullible or selfinterested people aren't able to either care or be bothered to do more than repeat the lines, like 'world beating' that the clown spouts.

Some people prefer the lies and misdirection, their game of thrones fantasy escape, as the horrors of so many needless deaths and people left disabled for life with organ damage makes me cry. "

Loads of shenanigans have gone on behind the scenes.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

I posted this elsewhere but seems pertinent here too;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53105642

'Apple 'not told' about UK's latest app plans

Apple says it did not know the UK was working on a "hybrid" version of the NHS coronavirus contact-tracing app using tech it developed with Google.

The firm took the unusual step of saying it was also unaware of an issue regarding distance-measuring, which was flagged by Health Secretary Matt Hancock in Thursday's daily briefing.

Apple said it was "difficult to understand" the claims.'

Our Government inhabitants some bizarre parallel universe

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"I posted this elsewhere but seems pertinent here too;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53105642

'Apple 'not told' about UK's latest app plans

Apple says it did not know the UK was working on a "hybrid" version of the NHS coronavirus contact-tracing app using tech it developed with Google.

The firm took the unusual step of saying it was also unaware of an issue regarding distance-measuring, which was flagged by Health Secretary Matt Hancock in Thursday's daily briefing.

Apple said it was "difficult to understand" the claims.'

Our Government inhabitants some bizarre parallel universe "

Maybe it went to an old email address ?

Oops that one been used before .

» Add a new message to this topic