FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid 19 Tracker on phones

Covid 19 Tracker on phones

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/06/20 12:52:39]

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I've just been sent a message where it says that during the week the government has installed a Covid 19 Tracker on all phones in the UK.

Android phone go to: settings then to Google services and it's there.

It's obviously for the good of the nation but I personally feel we should have been sent a text before hand or a letter. The tracker isn't on yet but can we trust our government to use this for the sole purpose of what it's intended? Will it be removed automatically in a few months time? With personal info being leaked or hacked more and more often can we trust this info will be safe. I for one am not keen on being tracked, so to speak, even though I've got nothing to hide.

Thoughts please.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So I've just been sent a message where it says that during the week the government has installed a Covid 19 Tracker on all phones in the UK.

It's obviously for the good of the nation but I personally feel we should have been sent a text before hand or a letter. The tracker isn't on yet but can we trust our government to use this for the sole purpose of what it's intended? Will it be removed automatically in a few months time? With personal info being leaked or hacked more and more often can we trust this info will be safe. I for one am not keen on being tracked, so to speak, even though I've got nothing to hide.

Thoughts please."

This was installed weeks ago by Google and Apple not the government. It facilitates the app information required by the respective companies should you install an app that uses them. It does nothing until you choose to install an app.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

"So I've just been sent a message where it says that during the week the government has installed a Covid 19 Tracker on all phones in the UK.

Thoughts please.

This was installed weeks ago by Google and Apple not the government. It facilitates the app information required by the respective companies should you install an app that uses them. It does nothing until you choose to install an app. "

I’ve read the information on the tracker on my phone this morning. It will still track and store data even without an app. Not having an app or having Bluetooth turned off means that you won’t get notifications of being in contact with confirmed cases.

I’m pretty pissed off that I was not asked my consent to having this, I would have probably said yes. Because of the Orwellian way this has been done I don’t want this on my phone!

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Thoughts please.

This was installed weeks ago by Google and Apple not the government. It facilitates the app information required by the respective companies should you install an app that uses them. It does nothing until you choose to install an app.

I’ve read the information on the tracker on my phone this morning. It will still track and store data even without an app. Not having an app or having Bluetooth turned off means that you won’t get notifications of being in contact with confirmed cases.

I’m pretty pissed off that I was not asked my consent to having this, I would have probably said yes. Because of the Orwellian way this has been done I don’t want this on my phone!"

Not if you turn off location. If that is off it can't store any useful data.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

This is the google control that allows you to turn off a tracker app and delete the data from it. It doesn't do anything until and unless you actually install an android-compatible covid tracker app.

If you look at settings, google services, covid-19, and then scroll to the bottom of the page, there is a "learn more" button to find out all about it.

In summary - this is not a covid tracker app, it is the OFF switch for tracker apps.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Thoughts please.

I’m pretty pissed off that I was not asked my consent to having this, I would have probably said yes. Because of the Orwellian way this has been done I don’t want this on my phone!"

It won't track you or monitor you unless you unstall the app. Of course google,apple, facebook etc monitor things you do in many other ways.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Thoughts please.

I’m pretty pissed off that I was not asked my consent to having this, I would have probably said yes. Because of the Orwellian way this has been done I don’t want this on my phone!

It won't track you or monitor you unless you unstall the app. Of course google,apple, facebook etc monitor things you do in many other ways."

and you can turn location tracking off in your google account anyways.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

In any case, now the government have admitted defeat with their "we know better, ours will be world beating" home grown app, and started again from scratch, it's becoming more likely that the pandemic will be over before there is any uk phone app ready for use.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"In any case, now the government have admitted defeat with their "we know better, ours will be world beating" home grown app, and started again from scratch, it's becoming more likely that the pandemic will be over before there is any uk phone app ready for use."

I wonder if the government's "world beating", "oven ready", "first class" tracking app was thought up and designed by the same people who thought up their new EU trading deal. It certainly seems to have a number of characteristics in common.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Apple and Android announced publicly a couple of months ago that they were altering their operating systems to support various covid19 apps around the world. Generally worldwide people are at liberty to have an app or not. The operating system is the underlying infrastructure that can permit - if the user wants - their phone to collect and transmit what would be needed for a phone based app to run the app.

We're free or not to install and use any final app, if one gets launched. If you do, you're still free to turn off the new functionality that would let it work.

» Add a new message to this topic